PDA

View Full Version : Cemetery Dance discussion thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 [89] 90

St. Troy
04-28-2023, 06:51 PM
Not only does he have enough short horror fiction to fill one collection -- but he has three full-length horror short-story collections: BLACK EVENING, NIGHTSCAPE, and BEFORE I WAKE...all signed/limited HCs, the latter two published by Subterranean Press.

Thanks for the info (which I will act on!).

St. Troy
04-28-2023, 06:53 PM
...NIGHTSCAPE, and BEFORE I WAKE...all signed/limited HCs, the latter two published by Subterranean Press.

Are those two exclusive through SP? Meaning, didn't exist before/otherwise, as did King's Night Shift and Skeleton Crew, for example.

jwilkinson01
05-03-2023, 01:04 PM
Just received the CD slipcase for Gwendy's Magic Feather that I pre-ordered a while back...What edition is this supposed to fit???

https://i.ibb.co/51VL0W3/IMG-8298.jpg

***EDIT*** Figured it out, that is the slipcase for the Limited Edition CD published, the Slipcase was supposed to be for the Trade Edition.

shaq
05-03-2023, 02:47 PM
Gwendy’s Final Task by Stephen King and Richard Chizmar:
The Limited Edition is in design. Tentatively looking for a 2024 publication. (3/31/2023)

So, by the wording of this, this may be in 2024? So maybe 2025 if tentatively doesn’t pan out? I’m in it for the long haul, but that date snuck in under the radar.

jwilkinson01
05-03-2023, 03:24 PM
The Limited Edition is in design. Tentatively looking for a 2024 publication. (3/31/2023)

So, by the wording of this, this may be in 2024? So maybe 2025 if tentatively doesn’t pan out? I’m in it for the long haul, but that date snuck in under the radar.

I guess I missed this secret pre-order. I get notifications for some but not others

Br!an
05-03-2023, 03:57 PM

I guess I missed this secret pre-order. I get notifications for some but not others

That was a while ago. I ordered on 4/12/2021.

sullichin
05-04-2023, 06:27 AM

Yeah I also ordered mine I think in 2021. I have since cancelled it though

Serious question does any other publisher make you put out so much money to wait 2,3,4,5++ years?

Johnny007
05-04-2023, 07:39 AM

Yeah I also ordered mine I think in 2021. I have since cancelled it though

Serious question does any other publisher make you put out so much money to wait 2,3,4,5++ years?

I doubt that any other publisher uses their customers as venture capitalists like CD does. Personally, I think it's quite sad.

Best,
John

jwilkinson01
05-04-2023, 09:55 AM
Just received the CD slipcase for Gwendy's Magic Feather that I pre-ordered a while back...What edition is this supposed to fit???

https://i.ibb.co/51VL0W3/IMG-8298.jpg

***EDIT*** Figured it out, that is the slipcase for the Limited Edition CD published, the Slipcase was supposed to be for the Trade Edition.

Update on this, I reached out to CD and they confirmed this was a shipping error at the warehouse and they are sending a slipcase for the trade edition. I guess I have a spare for the limited now.

St. Troy
05-16-2023, 06:29 AM
I searched AbeBooks.com for "Cemetery Dance" to see if anything of interest that I would've never known to search for might turn up, and ended up ordering these 4 (all under $40; 1 was $15):

Black Evening by David Morrell
https://www.cemeterydance.com/black-evening.html

Well, the books have been drifting in, and I kind of botched this one (Black Evening) by inadvertently ordering a library copy (it was right there in the listing - my fault, not the seller's).

While I expected I'd have to live with the usual library stamps/marks, I did get "lucky" in that the book was in worse shape than the seller's "very good" description implied, with significant discoloration to the dust jacket and inner boards, allowing me to plausibly request a refund. I thought the seller might try to fight this by brushing off the discoloration as an ordinary result of long-term presence in a library (which it may well have been), but fortunately (in a sense) I also found that the text block was broken, and that (to the seller's credit) triggered a rapid refund (and they didn't even want the book back).

I've ordered another copy of it (being careful to read the listing this time) and should have it before long.

herbertwest
06-11-2023, 11:12 AM
The production page was updated a week ago :
https://www.cemeterydance.com/extras/production-updates/

"Unfortunately, paper shortages and printer delays strike once again! We just learned that the trade hardcover of our double book, A Face in the Crowd/The Longest December will be another 3-4 weeks before copies are ready to ship to us. We have several thousand individual pre-orders for this title, as well as five-figure quantities going to online and brick-and-mortar booksellers, so this extended delay is troublesome. Alas, we are at the printer’s mercy and there is nothing we can do about it. We may decide to run a relatively low number of POD hardcover copies to fulfill retail purchase orders that expire soon, but longtime customers and booksellers will receive the more finely-crafted edition produced by our printer.
"

amd013
06-11-2023, 05:44 PM

"Unfortunately, paper shortages and printer delays strike once again! We just learned that the trade hardcover of our double book, A Face in the Crowd/The Longest December will be another 3-4 weeks before copies are ready to ship to us. We have several thousand individual pre-orders for this title, as well as five-figure quantities going to online and brick-and-mortar booksellers, so this extended delay is troublesome. Alas, we are at the printer’s mercy and there is nothing we can do about it. We may decide to run a relatively low number of POD hardcover copies to fulfill retail purchase orders that expire soon, but longtime customers and booksellers will receive the more finely-crafted edition produced by our printer.
"

That "update" is probably a couple of months old already.

Looks like the actual updates are to :

Gwendy Trilogy Matched Collectors Set In Custom Slipcase (https://www.cemeterydance.com/gwendy-matched-set.html):
Custom Slipcase for the Gwendy Trilogy (https://www.cemeterydance.com/gwendy-trilogy-slipcase.html):
So Cold the River (https://www.cemeterydance.com/so-cold-the-river.html) by Michael Koryta

ncleapyear
06-13-2023, 09:40 PM

"

The entire update page reads like a litany of moronic excuses: "This can lead to delays...," "We request your patience...," "In an effort to avoid errors or potential miscommunication...," "You’ve waited this long...," "We are working on catching our projects up...," "We are chipping at the block of prepped projects but...," "If we have not reached them by this summer...," "we are unable to give a production plan update...," "have been in a holding pattern...," etc. It's pretty nauseating. This whole game they've been playing (for a long time, really, but especially) for the past few years is not unlike Lucy promising that this time she won't pull the football away, and Charlie Brown running up to kick it, and ... well, we all know how that ends every single time. Even Dark Regions, FFS, is staring to clear their backlog, and I never thought I'd see that.

SystemCrashOverRide
06-14-2023, 09:31 AM
8+ years I've been waiting on a book now, I have an email fron 2018 saying that it was ready for the printers and would be going off to print in 4-6 weeks. As of today, that book has still yet to be sent to the printers. I do not understand how/why we as a community continue to give them our money.

ICry4Oy
06-16-2023, 07:13 AM
I think Chizmar is too busy chasing a boogeyman to be bothered by something silly like running a business.

jeffingoff
06-16-2023, 08:28 AM
It's pretty nauseating. This whole game they've been playing (for a long time, really, but especially) for the past few years is not unlike Lucy promising that this time she won't pull the football away, and Charlie Brown running up to kick it, and ... well, we all know how that ends every single time. Even Dark Regions, FFS, is staring to clear their backlog, and I never thought I'd see that.

I was SHOCKED when DRP sent my Offspring and now Malorie is en route. I totally applaud them. I don't know if Chris Morey is still running things over there (Joe and Weird House stepped in to fulfill Wolf Hunt 3) but he kept the lights on and got the books out without turning his customers into employees. Which is what Chizz did by telling his customers to buy a book simply to push the Chizz up the rankings. Not because the book is any good--they never make that case in the email--but because number of preorders impact rankings. They go so far as to bribe customers with the Gwendy trilogy, all signed. Hey, Chizz, stop signing the tepid Gwendy series long enough to clear your f**king backlog. And if you want people to buy your book, write a book worth buying without bribery.

St. Troy
06-16-2023, 01:21 PM
One day at a time...sweet Jesus.

becca69
06-21-2023, 08:43 AM
I just got the shipping notice for Interview with the Vampire! I ordered in May of 2016.

Ivo
06-21-2023, 11:57 AM
I just got the shipping notice for Interview with the Vampire! I ordered in May of 2016.

Ditto

Br!an
06-21-2023, 02:40 PM

I'm glad to see some progress.

Items on order since before that date...

CDCC4 09/13/2013 A Good Story and Good Word
11/11/2013 1 Turn Down the Lights artist edition * Limited edition requires a Pre-Printing Check.
12/08/2013 1 Book Club 2014 - Stephen King Limited - Waiting by Rick Hautala * Pre-Printing Check.
CDCC5 9/15/2014 The Judas Tree by Simon Clark
CDCC5 9/15/2014 Sunny Pines
05/27/2015 1 We're All in this Together (Limited Edition) lettered * Pre-Printing Check.
05/31/2015 1 We're All in This Together (Limited Edition) limited * Pre-Printing Check.
07/13/2015 1 The Best of Shivers S/L * One of the authors has not sent back sig sheets for several years. If we have not reached them by this summer, we will print new sig sheets excluding them and get this show on the road! (3/31/2023)
10/21/2015 1 Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn S/L * BOOK READY FOR PRINTER. SLIPCASES PENDING
04/26/2016 1 Dark Screams: The Signed Limited Edition Hardcover! * READY FOR THE PRINTER
05/02/2016 1 In Sunlight and In Shadow (Special Edition) * Pre-Printing Check

frik
06-22-2023, 05:19 AM
The Doubleday AE-L(ettered) Night Shift will see release next month.
Books were done sometime ago, cases now as well, it seems.

sk

amd013
06-22-2023, 11:57 AM

sk

Great news! where did you hear?

That is the longest outstanding book for me (plus the Stand and Pet Semetary editions). I have over $15K in preorders at CD.

Lurker
06-22-2023, 08:28 PM

Me too. I guess they decided to ship the slipcase later so the less wait for the book.

WeDealInLead
06-23-2023, 05:09 AM
I just finished reading Dark Debts and went over to the CD website to check its status update. They're still waiting for the introduction. Unreal. Chizmar has truly learned nothing from the past mistakes of taking people's money for books that aren't even finished. That or he knows what he's doing aka he's running a ponzy scheme with no regard for his customer base.

I'm glad his son's pet projects are coming out on time.

It's too bad though, CD really was an institution at its peak. You can pick a random book from their catalogue and have a wonderful time with some top tier horror fiction. Dark Harvest went out at their peak, what Chizmar is doing with CD is just ... pathetic.

frik
06-23-2023, 05:58 AM

sk

Great news! where did you hear?

Over on FaceBook someone posted he had received a "Have you recently moved" e-mail, which was about the lettered Night Shift. As I had not received this email, I contacted CD and yes, the book is about to be shipped, next month.

sk

ICry4Oy
06-23-2023, 09:08 AM
I can't remember. What was the skinny on those Cemetery Dance exclusive books for Collector's Club members that never materialized?

Stockerlone
06-25-2023, 05:37 AM
Turn Down the lights - R.Chizmar
Cemetery Dance Germany 381/999

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/medium/F_hrmann_Turn_003.JPG
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/medium/F_hrmann_Turn_004.JPG

Rahfa
06-25-2023, 06:18 AM
hey guys,just checking my old e-mail and saw i had pre-ordered this book [ed: Cemetery Dance - A 15 Year Celebration] 4 years ago!! should i have invested my $175 wisely and now be buying 1 of those German bootlegs ive always wanted.ha! anybody else pre-order this (in the hope that King signs it-he better after this length of time)? or does anyone have new info.thx,barry.

I cancelled all my outstanding orders with CD about a year ago, including this book. I had ordered some books (i.e. LEGACIES) nearly 10 years ago. So far I have been able to get the CD books I want at or below issue price after they have been released. These include SECRETARY OF DREAMS and the Lonesome Road production of DARK FORCES. Time will tell if my luck holds out but I am much more comfortable buying the books after they come out than letting those guys keep my money for years and years.

10 years ago...good grief...a year ago is when I cancelled my orders, too...if one is a lifetime member like Boome, that's one thing, since it doesn't really matter when anything gets published, since you'll get it - but there's not a good reason to order any individual title from them, unless they someday manage to get their act together.

I posted that Jan 8, 2008 - George W. Bush was still President.

Since then, I've sold all my King books, CarlosDetwiler disappeared from here, I don't know if Sir Boome is alive, the book shnnrc01 is referring too was never published, and CD's business practices did not change one bit.

No offense to anyone, just an observation.

Technically speaking, the CD-15 year Celebration referenced in the post was published under a different name, I guess.

Otherwise, Carlos was talking about a book announced in 1998, and then I replied in 2008, updated last year, and now it's more than 15 years and nothing has changed. That takes effort.

amd013
06-29-2023, 12:51 PM
Woo-Hoo! Just got shipping notice for Night Shift Lettered!

amd013
06-29-2023, 12:53 PM
Has CD offered remarques for the Stand yet?

frik
06-30-2023, 05:28 AM

No, they haven't. And I doubt they will.
I contacted Mindy directly and she had no info on this whatsoever. Plus the books are at the printer (maybe being printed as we speak) and as no remarques were offered, I doubt CD will just add a couple at random. Really a strange decision, as demand for remarques for The Stand would have gone through the roof.

sk

frik
06-30-2023, 05:28 AM

Same! :dance:

sk

webstar1000
06-30-2023, 05:35 AM

No, they haven't. And I doubt they will.
I contacted Mindy directly and she had no info on this whatsoever. Plus the books are at the printer (maybe being printed as we speak) and as no remarques were offered, I doubt CD will just add a couple at random. Really a strange decision, as demand for remarques for The Stand would have gone through the roof.

sk

Remarques WERE DONE. I have seen them. WHether they sold them or not I cannot say.. .but there was 100 done by Francois.

amd013
07-12-2023, 07:51 AM

Finally picked up by USPS a few days ago. Should arrive on Monday!

amd013
07-15-2023, 11:03 AM
Just got my Night Shift lettered. Unfortunatly got the wrong Letter (got letter Q, should have been Letter Y). Sent an email to Mindy.

sentinel
07-15-2023, 04:08 PM
Did anyone here get Letter K ???

amd013
07-17-2023, 11:01 AM
Just got my Night Shift lettered. Unfortunatly got the wrong Letter (got letter Q, should have been Letter Y). Sent an email to Mindy.

Anyone end up with letter Y? Considering trading, but mine has a remarque, so not sure I want to trade away a remarque unless letter Y has one.

Currently I own Letter Y for 5 Cemetery Dance Lettered's, 1 Lividian and YY for 1 Lonely Road SK Books.

I guess I still debating on how important matching Letters/Numbers are to me.

ICry4Oy
07-18-2023, 09:00 AM
FYI email from Cemetery Dance:

Hi Folks!

The Cemetery Dance front office will be closed from July 20 until August 6 while Mindy is out of town, but the warehouse will still be working hard during this time.

Emails will be answered more slowly than normal, and in some cases, not until Mindy returns depending on what information at the office needs to be accessed.

We thank you in advance for your patience!

~ Cemetery Dance Publications

ICry4Oy
07-20-2023, 09:10 AM
I noticed on the updates page that for The Stand, it now says winter 2023 instead of fall 2023. Any chance we'll see this book in the next 5 years? :emot-roflolmao:

herbertwest
07-20-2023, 09:30 AM
There were some other updates as well in july on the production page

jwilkinson01
07-21-2023, 06:27 AM
I have a question about the lettered edition of Shivers VII, if anyone has a copy lying about. I was checking out a copy but something confused me, the book states it is one of 52, has the sewn in bookmark and the traycase, but the dust jacket states it is the Limited Edition with a price of $40, I see no mention of the lettered edition and price anywhere on the DJ. Was the same dust jacket used on the numbered and limited edition? It doesn't seem correct and I wonder if this was a replacement DJ, but I cannot find pictures of the lettered edition anywhere for verification.

Thanks!

playdohman
07-21-2023, 10:39 AM
I have a question about the lettered edition of Shivers VII, if anyone has a copy lying about. I was checking out a copy but something confused me, the book states it is one of 52, has the sewn in bookmark and the traycase, but the dust jacket states it is the Limited Edition with a price of $40, I see no mention of the lettered edition and price anywhere on the DJ. Was the same dust jacket used on the numbered and limited edition? It doesn't seem correct and I wonder if this was a replacement DJ, but I cannot find pictures of the lettered edition anywhere for verification.

Thanks!

I have lettered 'YY' and the limitation page says it is limited to 26 copies. Based on the lettering sequence that seems to not be correct.
My dj is the limited dj, the copyright page also states it is the "Limited Edition Hardcover" with no mention of lettered and the ISBN is for the limited.

jwilkinson01
07-21-2023, 11:01 AM
I have lettered 'YY' and the limitation page says it is limited to 26 copies. Based on the lettering sequence that seems to not be correct.
My dj is the limited dj, the copyright page also states it is the "Limited Edition Hardcover" with no mention of lettered and the ISBN is for the limited.

Thanks for the response! It sounds like there was not a lot of consistency with this release, I will probably just go ahead and snag this copy. I would still like to hear what others have, just out of curiosity at this point.

Br!an
07-29-2023, 05:24 AM
Stephen King The Shining Deluxe Special Edition (Cemetery Dance, 2016)

Sold at HA for $660. (https://comics.ha.com/itm/books/fine-press-and-limited-editions/stephen-king-the-shining-deluxe-special-edition-cemetery-dance-2016-/a/40231-82110.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116)

amd013
08-04-2023, 01:33 PM
For those of you who ordered the Gwendy's trilogy in custom slipcase, did the books come with matching dust jackets? Or where they the same as the original editions.

Mine just came and they are the same as the orginals.

(From the original product description):

To celebrate, we're producing a very limited set of Gwendy's Button Box, Gwendy's Magic Feather, and Gwendy's Final Task with brand new "matched" dust jackets, and they will be be housed all together in a brand new collectible slipcase!

Br!an
08-04-2023, 02:31 PM
For those of you who ordered the Gwendy's trilogy in custom slipcase, did the books come with matching dust jackets? Or where they the same as the original editions.

Mine just came and they are the same as the orginals.

(From the original product description):

To celebrate, we're producing a very limited set of Gwendy's Button Box, Gwendy's Magic Feather, and Gwendy's Final Task with brand new "matched" dust jackets, and they will be be housed all together in a brand new collectible slipcase!

Mine is matched dustjackets. Not originals. Just like this picture...

https://www.cemeterydance.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/2/IMG_7756[1]_405x540.jpg

ur2ndbiggestfan
08-04-2023, 05:55 PM
Mine are also matched dust jackets.

Curly
08-04-2023, 10:58 PM
Mine are matched as well.

frik
08-05-2023, 06:52 AM
Matched dustjackets as well. I'm sure CD will send you the correct jackets when contacting them.

sk

St. Troy
08-05-2023, 07:09 AM

Sold at HA for $660. (https://comics.ha.com/itm/books/fine-press-and-limited-editions/stephen-king-the-shining-deluxe-special-edition-cemetery-dance-2016-/a/40231-82110.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116)

$660 for a Gift Edition? I didn't buy mine to flip it, but if they're going for that, I'll have to consider it. Of course, mine has been opened, so will fetch less - how much less is the question.

Tommy
08-05-2023, 10:34 PM
Could you order just the slipcasse and put your editions in or was it sealed with the matching jackets? Because both are on ebay?

stroppygoblin
08-07-2023, 06:22 AM
Could you order just the slipcasse and put your editions in or was it sealed with the matching jackets? Because both are on ebay?

Both were offered options.

DoctorZaius
08-07-2023, 12:21 PM

$660 for a Gift Edition? I didn't buy mine to flip it, but if they're going for that, I'll have to consider it. Of course, mine has been opened, so will fetch less - how much less is the question.

I'ts insane what the gift editions go for now!

Tommy
08-07-2023, 09:08 PM
Bob called that by the way. He said given the fact that it was the first time "After the Play" was included and it was a gift edition that out of all the CD Doubleday editions, it would go up most in monetary value. If I am wrong about that, sorry Bob

ICry4Oy
08-09-2023, 09:31 AM
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/ctb.jpg

darkseer
08-09-2023, 11:47 AM
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/ctb.jpg

But it's only $1.99 on kindle :clap: :wtf:

St. Troy
08-09-2023, 12:38 PM
...and you can enter to win a book you actually want.

ncleapyear
08-16-2023, 09:22 AM
More great news ... not ... from the CD production updates page:

The Stand by Stephen King:
We are finalizing the last pieces of design. Due to the recent closure of our preferred slipcase manufacturer for the Doubleday series, it may experience some small delays. We are anticipating to receive and ship this winter. (7/13/2023).

CD's books have never been what one might call design intensive. Brian Freeman posted photos of a single-sided printout of The Stand on February 24, 2021. Shouldn't they have worked out the "pieces of design" by then? "This winter" will end on March 20, 2024, so expect a renewed tsunami of moronic, cynical, and gaslit excuses early next year. I wonder how many paying customers have died waiting on these interminable preorders.

craigobau
08-17-2023, 12:43 AM
Does anyone know if CD allow you to "transfer" a paid for pre-order to another person/delivery address?

Thank you.

OldCrow88
08-17-2023, 04:08 AM

We are finalizing the last pieces of design. Due to the recent closure of our preferred slipcase manufacturer for the Doubleday series, it may experience some small delays. We are anticipating to receive and ship this winter. (7/13/2023).

CD's books have never been what one might call design intensive. Brian Freeman posted photos of a single-sided printout of The Stand on February 24, 2021. Shouldn't they have worked out the "pieces of design" by then? "This winter" will end on March 20, 2024, so expect a renewed tsunami of moronic, cynical, and gaslit excuses early next year. I wonder how many paying customers have died waiting on these interminable preorders.

Apparently the slipcase maker also grew old and died in the meantime.

ICry4Oy
08-17-2023, 08:15 AM

Yeah, it is beyond ridiculous at this point. Quite a while back I cancelled every order I had with them except for the remaining Doubleday books. With any luck, I'll get those last two before I die. Now I just delete any of their emails without reading unless they pertain to those two remaining books. It seems that the only thing they can produce timely now are those damned Boogeyman books and Billy Chizmar books.

St. Troy
08-17-2023, 08:17 AM

And this book is supposedly all but done. I'm starting to wonder if their heart is still in this thing.

Roseannebarr
08-17-2023, 09:42 AM
They should hire Brian Freenan as a consultant, he seems to have a better track record in getting books released!🤣

TacomaDiver
08-17-2023, 07:29 PM
Does anyone know if CD allow you to "transfer" a paid for pre-order to another person/delivery address?

I was told no by other forum members when I asked that question. I didn't check directly with CD though; still just canceled my order.

craigobau
08-17-2023, 11:00 PM

I was told no by other forum members when I asked that question. I didn't check directly with CD though; still just canceled my order.

Thanks.

Ben Mears
08-19-2023, 08:47 AM

CD is an embarrassment to the small press community. They should be investigated by the Better Business Bureau for the way they conduct business. The fact that SK is still associated with them is beyond comprehension.

ncleapyear
08-21-2023, 08:27 PM

CD is an embarrassment to the small press community. They should be investigated by the Better Business Bureau for the way they conduct business. The fact that SK is still associated with them is beyond comprehension.

Yes, it is a mystery why SK hasn't hitched his horse to another wagon. Can you imagine a Stephen King Masters of the Weird Tale?

RC65
08-28-2023, 01:18 PM
[QUOTE=Ben Mears;1274273]
Yes, it is a mystery why SK hasn't hitched his horse to another wagon. Can you imagine a Stephen King Masters of the Weird Tale?

I'm not a Constant Reader of King's anymore by an means, but the idea of a King MotWT volume just made my heart skip a beat.

shaq
08-30-2023, 02:29 PM
Just seen this message on Facebook

“ Want a $50 Cemetery Dance gift certificate? A signed limited edition valued at $150 or higher? Email cdancepub@aol.com for details.”

I have messaged to the info email address just in case it’s correct, but do they have an aol address too?

St. Troy
08-30-2023, 07:08 PM
...Chiz...

MLG
08-30-2023, 08:14 PM

“ Want a $50 Cemetery Dance gift certificate? A signed limited edition valued at $150 or higher? Email cdancepub@aol.com for details.”

I have messaged to the info email address just in case it’s correct, but do they have an aol address too?

That is Richard Chizmar's direct email. I assume it has something to do with his upcoming release.

shaq
08-30-2023, 10:47 PM

That is Richard Chizmar's direct email. I assume it has something to do with his upcoming release.

Ah thank you. I found it was real. I messaged it. Let’s see what happens. Interesting

herbertwest
08-30-2023, 11:47 PM

He pretty much share similar messages about gifts / contests / anything on several facebook groups, the larger ones, almost every other day

Ben Mears
08-31-2023, 04:11 AM
He pretty much share similar messages about gifts / contests / anything on several facebook groups, the larger ones, almost every other day

Chizmar seems to do everything except publish books...

Honvie
10-19-2023, 06:34 PM
Ordered and paid for a BB proof with Richard on 18 Sept. He claimed it was shipped and after several correspondences and reminders, no tracking number was ever provided and no book was received. No choice but to open a case with Paypal and seek a refund. Quite disappointed with the outcome as I was looking forward to the book.

darkseer
10-19-2023, 08:16 PM
Cemetery Dance :confused: Didn't know they were still in business.

herbertwest
10-20-2023, 04:23 AM
Small update :

darkseer
10-20-2023, 07:33 AM
I feel bad for the families of people who order stuff and die before it's finished. They might not know about it or move away. I guess Cemetery Dance gets to keep the money. :frown:

ICry4Oy
10-20-2023, 08:34 AM

I think they only finish Boogeyman books now.

darkseer
10-20-2023, 05:21 PM

I think they only finish Boogeyman books now.

:thumbsup:

St. Troy
12-04-2023, 01:49 PM
I don't expect the book itself by year-end, but I'd sure like a detailed, meaningful update on The Stand by then.

ncleapyear
12-04-2023, 03:13 PM
I don't expect the book itself by year-end, but I'd sure like a detailed, meaningful update on The Stand by then.

BWAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHA HAHAHAHA HAHAHAHA!!

There might be an "update" that they're raising the limitation of the artist edition to 1,750 copies. Charles Ponzi Chizmar probably needs an infusion of cash.

RichardX
12-05-2023, 08:29 AM
I feel bad for the families of people who order stuff and die before it's finished. They might not know about it or move away. I guess Cemetery Dance gets to keep the money. :frown:

It's a race with the grim reaper? I like it. I do worry that they might go bust someday and lots of unfilled orders will never be processed. They are the worst run business that I've ever encountered.

playdohman
12-06-2023, 02:01 PM
The CDCC14 email just dropped. YES, let's prepay for shit they probably will never deliver or when they do it is either poor quality or it has been so long who cares.

"We have some BIG things planned for 2024 and the CDCC 14 (Cemetery Dance Collectors Club) is easily one of our most popular deals of all time. Today we are offering the CDCC 14 which will start on January 1st, 2024 and ends December 31, 2024.
Each year's special offers include exclusive discounts on new books, exclusive sales of collectible books we can't offer the general public because we have so few copies, advance notice on new special offers and Limited Editions, and many other deals."

ajw2910
12-06-2023, 07:47 PM
When I first started collecting I would fall for this crap all the time. Now I’ve learned my lesson and stick with the reliable publishers……

ICry4Oy
12-06-2023, 09:13 PM
When I first started collecting I would fall for this crap all the time. Now I’ve learned my lesson and stick with the reliable publishers……

Same here. Used to faithfully pay up for the CDCC. Never have received even one of those books that were exclusive to the CDCC and not available anywhere else. I cancelled every order I had with Cemetery Dance except for the two remaining Doubleday Stephen King books. I hope I live long enough to see them. Probably not.

Honvie
12-06-2023, 11:40 PM
CD is a business and any business's main driver is profit. I just hope they don't sacrifice quality and integrity purely for profit that's all.

Ben Mears
12-07-2023, 05:41 AM
CD is a business and any business's main driver is profit. I just hope they don't sacrifice quality and integrity purely for profit that's all.

Integrity and CD are mutually exclusive.

Honvie
12-07-2023, 06:27 AM

:lol:

becca69
12-07-2023, 08:49 AM
Has Gwendy's Magic Feather lettered fallen through the cracks? It's no longer on the list.

ncleapyear
12-07-2023, 11:14 AM

That's the truth. Offering a collector's club membership at this point is just sleazy.

St. Troy
12-07-2023, 11:27 AM
Has Gwendy's Magic Feather lettered fallen through the cracks? It's no longer on the list.

CD dropping the ball on a (co) Chizmar product may be a sign of the apocalypse...

cit74
12-07-2023, 04:26 PM
I got an email with a link to write a favorable review on Reading Stephen King - I was really tempted to click that link - but I think it would've taken me to an order page for a Boogyman book or seven...

dnemec
12-12-2023, 08:04 AM
HOLY SHIT!!! Caretakers, which I preordered in November 2017, is shipping!

St. Troy
12-13-2023, 07:11 AM

Have you recently repaired a mirror?

dnemec
12-19-2023, 06:35 AM

Have you recently repaired a mirror?

:lol:

RichardX
12-20-2023, 07:03 AM

A Christmas miracle?

Ben Mears
12-20-2023, 10:36 AM

"Is shipping" vs "has shipped" might take another 6 years!

herbertwest
12-25-2023, 11:38 AM
What happens to the "Seasons of Terror" project is Gallery13 decides to never release it?
I mean, it's been postponed to 2045 on Amazon for probably a good 2 years... surely CD can theorically release their version, whenever the books will be produced... no?

Otherwise, I know that CD is different in the industry what was the point of the preorders for a project that cannot be released because it's blocked by a side contract?

ICry4Oy
01-09-2024, 09:05 AM
New update last week on their site. WTF?!!!

We are finalizing the last pieces of design. Due to the recent closure of our preferred slipcase manufacturer for the Doubleday series, it may experience some small delays. We are anticipating to start printing this winter. (1/4/2024)

It used to say they hoped to start shipping this winter.

Fuck you Cemetery Dance.

St. Troy
01-09-2024, 09:34 AM
...meanwhile, all Gwendy product flies through like mexican food through a weak stomach.

St. Troy
01-09-2024, 09:38 AM

We are finalizing the last pieces of design. Due to the recent closure of our preferred slipcase manufacturer for the Doubleday series, it may experience some small delays. We are anticipating to start printing this winter. (1/4/2024)

Fuck you Cemetery Dance.

Does "printing" in "start printing" refer to the book itself? If so, why would the closure of the slipcase manufacturer have set back printing the book? (Previous updates are no longer visible, but I feel certain they said they'd already begun printing - does anyone else remember this?)

darkseer
01-09-2024, 11:10 AM

Fuck you Cemetery Dance.

Does "printing" in "start printing" refer to the book itself? If so, why would the closure of the slipcase manufacturer have set back printing the book? (Previous updates are no longer visible, but I feel certain they said they'd already begun printing - does anyone else remember this?)

Maybe their running out of excuses to tell their suckers, Opps I meant customers. :P

darkseer
01-09-2024, 11:16 AM
3-31-23, is that some kind of a code from Cemetery Dance?

ncleapyear
01-09-2024, 11:26 AM

Fuck you Cemetery Dance.

Hear, hear!!

herbertwest
01-09-2024, 01:29 PM
It was never going to be shipping this winter. No chances.
More likely to arrive 2025-2026

goathunter
01-09-2024, 03:20 PM

Back in June 2023, the status read:

We are finishing up the slipcase/traycase design. We are scheduled to receive and ship this autumn. (3/31/2023)

Thanks, Wayback Machine!

superpm
01-09-2024, 03:25 PM
Does "printing" in "start printing" refer to the book itself? If so, why would the closure of the slipcase manufacturer have set back printing the book? (Previous updates are no longer visible, but I feel certain they said they'd already begun printing - does anyone else remember this?)[/QUOTE]

Here are the updates I have captured in the past from the Production Update page:

04/19/19 - To be published in 2020 (this was the delivery noted at time of placing the preorder - not from the production update page)

02/16/22 - Although not "officially" announced yet, we know there are just a ton of collectors and readers who want to know more about this project, so we're adding it to the Production Updates page to make it easier to share information. Sorry we didn't think to do this sooner. The last of what we are waiting for from the artists (there are now multiple artists on the project) is due soon, and then the book will be 100% ready for the printer. This thing is going to be a beast. Imagine our edition of IT for a size comparison. The printing and slipcase process isn't going to be fast, unfortunately. Both industries are having some bad supply chain problems this year, especially for the more unique materials, but even for some common stocks, too. (Our slipcase maker is telling us to expect "regular" slipcase orders to take up to 16 weeks now. And we sent a different book to the printer back on August 1 in the hopes that it be done for a February publication date.) The plan is to make the official "public" announcement of The Stand and sell the remaining preorders after the book is rolling at the printer for a while.

03/01/22 – No progress – same status at 2/16/22

05/25/22 - No progress - production page update is the same as 2/16/22

08/24/22 - Production update page states: The artwork is in! Due to the absolutely monolithic size of the book (think of our edition of IT for reference), we are pleased to announce that we managed to bring in a trio of artists onto the project--Ned Dameron, Francois Vaillancourt, and Glenn Chadbourne! The rest of the updates states the same progress as 2/16/22.

03/31/23 - Production update page states: We are finishing up the slipcase/traycase design. We are scheduled to receive and ship this autumn.

01/04/24 - We are finalizing the last pieces of design. Due to the recent closure of our preferred slipcase manufacturer for the Doubleday series, it may experience some small delays. We are anticipating to start printing this winter.

I don't know if these are ALL of the updates that have been posted in the past as I quit checking frequently since the progress didn't change often. As I recall, The Stand was not listed on the update page during 2019 - 2021 as it wasn't "announced" publicly for preorder.

webstar1000
01-10-2024, 04:05 AM
CD is getting destroyed on the FB forums..... I see the end coming if they do not do something

Ben Mears
01-10-2024, 04:45 AM
One angry phone call from SK would likely rectify the situation. How he can continue a relationship with such a deceptive company is baffling.

St. Troy
01-10-2024, 06:32 AM
Back in June 2023, the status read:

We are finishing up the slipcase/traycase design. We are scheduled to receive and ship this autumn. (3/31/2023)

Yes, this is the one that had me thinking they were essentially ready to go, past the point of bullshit (apparently not).

Ricky
01-10-2024, 04:32 PM
I was really glad to get the copy of Sharp Objects today that I ordered how many years ago!

Oh, wait...

Never mind.

webstar1000
01-11-2024, 08:00 AM
One angry phone call from SK would likely rectify the situation. How he can continue a relationship with such a deceptive company is baffling.

IRONICALLY... I was told that is JUST what happened with Legacies. King was PISSED when someone told him about the time it was taking. I guess this person had Kings Ear... and well.. it got done. Will this happen again? Not sure... to be honest. I really like Rich a lot and we are good buddies... BUT I wish he would get these books done. It hurts his rep and he is a good guy.. just so ENGROSSED in his writing that he is letting CD slide:(

Ben Mears
01-11-2024, 03:14 PM

IRONICALLY... I was told that is JUST what happened with Legacies. King was PISSED when someone told him about the time it was taking. I guess this person had Kings Ear... and well.. it got done. Will this happen again? Not sure... to be honest. I really like Rich a lot and we are good buddies... BUT I wish he would get these books done. It hurts his rep and he is a good guy.. just so ENGROSSED in his writing that he is letting CD slide:(

He should hand off the remaining SK books to Brian to finish; we would have them both by summer. It is criminal the way he continues to take preorder $ from customers.
I just received a 50% off winter sale pitch and I responded by requesting a 50% discount off of my existing Stand order instead.

webstar1000
01-12-2024, 04:28 AM

He should hand off the remaining SK books to Brian to finish; we would have them both by summer. It is criminal the way he continues to take preorder $ from customers.
I just received a 50% off winter sale pitch and I responded by requesting a 50% discount off of my existing Stand order instead.

LOL Did they respond?

Ben Mears
01-12-2024, 04:32 AM

LOL Did they respond?

I suspect they will avoid responding but I will keep making the point with every email blast they do.

Joe315
01-12-2024, 04:00 PM
I think CD has completely slipped away from Rich. He doesn’t appear to have any interest in publishing books. I stopped ordering from them a long time ago and still have a few outstanding orders.

Honvie
01-12-2024, 04:32 PM
CD seems to be actively selling off old stocks on eBay recently.

Honvie
01-12-2024, 09:15 PM
CD seems to be actively selling off old stocks on eBay recently.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/156003479800?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=6pUnLOCURaW&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=RoHfyYB4RFC&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

WeDealInLead
01-14-2024, 03:45 PM
They couldn't even crop the profile picture correctly for their eBay account.

Honvie
01-14-2024, 07:27 PM
D for doomed.

Tommy
01-14-2024, 09:21 PM
I cancelled just about 20 or 30 percent of my back orders and have 600 in store credit now, those were mostly at discounted and coupon'd items. Bummed

Ben Mears
01-15-2024, 03:55 AM
I cancelled just about 20 or 30 percent of my back orders and have 600 in store credit now, those were mostly at discounted and coupon'd items. Bummed

Is a store credit the only option or could you have received your money back?

shaq
01-15-2024, 04:18 AM

I’m expecting a refund (not credit) for my cancellation, from last week. Mindy and I confirmed PayPal details and just waiting for it to be processed.

Br!an
01-15-2024, 04:28 AM

Unless it's a recent purchase, 60 days, the only option is store credit. If it was recent, and not purchased with a gift certificate/credit, they'll refund the money.

shaq
01-15-2024, 06:12 AM

Unless it's a recent purchase, 60 days, the only option is store credit. If it was recent, and not purchased with a gift certificate/credit, they'll refund the money.

That’s not what I was led to believe, I asked for my payment to be returned, confirmed my PayPal email for a cancelled Gwendy Final Task order from 2 years ago.

There was no mention of store credit.

namelessnpoor
01-15-2024, 09:44 AM
I have always been given my money back. Not store credit. Regardless of how old the order was.
Maybe it's a new policy due to all the cancelations happening.
When people want their money back that's what causes the pyramid scheme to fail!

Ben Mears
01-15-2024, 10:00 AM

I could see issuing a store credit for a recent purchase of a delivered item but not a pre-order.

Tommy
01-17-2024, 12:21 AM
Apologies for the confusion but a lot of those pre-orders were bought with gift certificates. The ones I can get cash back for are the ones I have my fingers crossed over and haven't cancelled yet. I am bummed because I didn't want to cancel anything. I want the books.

shaq
01-17-2024, 09:53 AM

I could see issuing a store credit for a recent purchase of a delivered item but not a pre-order.

I received my refund for Final Task yesterday, PayPal took £20 fees, but in the scheme of things, I’m not that bothered. Just enough to mention it here, but it’s done, and will occasionally look in their direction to see if the book turns out well or not.

Ben Mears
01-18-2024, 09:26 AM
Apologies for the confusion but a lot of those pre-orders were bought with gift certificates. The ones I can get cash back for are the ones I have my fingers crossed over and haven't cancelled yet. I am bummed because I didn't want to cancel anything. I want the books.

Thanks for the clarification. I will likely cancel The Stand & Pet Sematary pre-orders.

CyberGhostface
01-25-2024, 09:47 AM
IDK if anyone has heard about this but there's some controversy as due to internal changes a number of authors have had their contracts cancelled.

https://twitter.com/CSHumble/status/1749667123960381538

https://twitter.com/MReganFiction/status/1749966880943772085

https://twitter.com/TheLPHernandez/status/1749752671010013687

Randall Flagg
01-25-2024, 09:53 AM
Just gets more bleak almost every day.

St. Troy
01-25-2024, 10:24 AM
Maybe I'm the last to catch on, but this is the first thing I've seen that pushes things from "perpetually running late but still running" to "I hear a funny noise in the engine..."

Go Gwendy go, eh?

Tommy
01-25-2024, 10:45 AM
It really does look like Chizmar got to a certain point and said well these aren't going to get done, let me get my book published and advertised daily for years while everything else fell off the back burner. I was not around for the beginning of CD but I noticed it seemed to be the same way with similar complaints up until Mr. Freeman got hired and sorted everything out seemingly by himself. I know he wasn't by himself but the man is a workhorse and still the nicest guy I've dealt with from small press publishers. I hope CD can find another BJF or someone anywhere near as good as that man and soon. CD put out some very nice editions and maybe just maybe they can get back to those days again.

Lurker
01-25-2024, 11:19 AM
I know Kevin Lucia and it's a shame he's leaving too. He did get the paperbacks out.

Ben Mears
01-25-2024, 03:07 PM
Canceled The Stand and Pet Sematary orders. We'll see what happens.

shaq
01-26-2024, 02:38 AM
Were some posts removed from here yesterday?

webstar1000
01-26-2024, 03:21 AM
Were some posts removed from here yesterday?

What posts were removed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shaq
01-26-2024, 04:54 AM
None Kris, I found them in another thread. Was just coming here to delete…

The conversation about 50 possible signed magazines that have just gone on sale.

herbertwest
01-26-2024, 06:12 AM
The 50 King signed magazines are just a possibility. Not even in the preorder stage

What happened was that King said on twitter that Rich should send him 50 copies to sign :
https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/1750565906445488332

Whenever the mags will be ready (still being in the works as Rich posted on twitter that people should contact him if they want to put ads in that issue, so it's not finalized yet, therefore not at the printer), :
https://twitter.com/RichardChizmar/status/1750261680607510838

As a reminder, the ordering page :
https://www.cemeterydance.com/cemetery-dance-79.html

WeDealInLead
01-26-2024, 06:51 AM
"Coming 2024."

Yeah right.

King should stop bailing Rich out with these little handouts and put pressure on him to get years old orders out first.

shaq
01-26-2024, 06:55 AM
The 50 King signed magazines are just a possibility. Not even in the preorder stage

What happened was that King said on twitter that Rich should send him 50 copies to sign :

Whenever the mags will be ready (still being in the works as Rich posted on twitter that people should contact him if they want to put ads in that issue, so it's not finalized yet, therefore not at the printer), :

Very good to know. I bought one on the chance of it happening, and slimmer chance that one will head this way lol.

jeffingoff
01-26-2024, 07:58 AM

I wonder how many fools like me are still holding on to Stand preorders.

Did you get actual money back or just store credit?

Seems like the wheels are off and if they weren't already going downhill at the time, they wouldn't be moving at all.

Ben Mears
01-26-2024, 08:04 AM

Haven't heard back yet. I won't accept a store credit; full refund only.

Ben Mears
01-26-2024, 08:11 AM
l[/url]

To me this makes SK complicit with Chizmar's Ponzi scheme. He has to know what is going on and after all of his railing over the years about limited editions and the completely unjustified and unprofessional attack on the Centipede 'Salem's Lot he offers to sign more CD product? Not a good move.

jeffingoff
01-26-2024, 08:13 AM
l[/url]

To me this makes SK complicit with Chizmar's Ponzi scheme. He has to know what is going on and after all of his railing over the years about limited editions and the completely unjustified and unprofessional attack on the Centipede 'Salem's Lot he offers to sign more CD product? Not a good move.

The Chizzburger HAS to have compromising photos of King. That's the only thing I can figure. But one thing is certain--without King there would be no more dancing in the cemetery.

MLG
01-26-2024, 08:58 AM
"Coming 2024."

Yeah right.

King should stop bailing Rich out with these little handouts and put pressure on him to get years old orders out first.

According to the Product Update page, as of today it is still expected to ship in 2023.

Cemetery Dance Magazine #79:
Design and content stage is well underway. It is expected to print and ship within the year. (3/31/2023)

WeDealInLead
01-26-2024, 09:20 AM
"Coming 2024."

Yeah right.

According to the Product Update page, as of today it is still expected to ship in 2023.

Cemetery Dance Magazine #79:
Design and content stage is well underway. It is expected to print and ship within the year. (3/31/2023)

Odds on time machine invention vs a CD book not getting delayed?

I love (not!) the vague "well underway." It reminds of "ready for printers" or "final round of proofreading."

Joe315
01-26-2024, 03:39 PM

Seems like the wheels are off and if they weren't already going downhill at the time, they wouldn't be moving at all.

I have one on order but I bought the combo deal way back when.

TacomaDiver
01-27-2024, 07:42 AM
The worst part of the signed CD magazine is that according to Rich's Instagram, it's only available as a giveaway, not to current subscribers. You know those of us who actually paid money to receive one issue every four years.

I've watched this thread for years, and while I've kept my opinions to myself, I have cancelled all but three preorders, but this whole SK offering to sign copies and then people who've actually invested in the company don't even have a chance, was a bit of the last straw.

I'm not some expert in how to run business, but it does look like he doesn't care about CD (I'm just now seeing those posts about the publishing contracts that they've canceled - WTF?) and his focus is entirely on himself. Which is fine, but he's ruining all of the goodwill a very small community has given him. Which probably doesn't even matter in the long run. We're just small fish.

jeffingoff
01-28-2024, 12:45 PM
The worst part of the signed CD magazine is that according to Rich's Instagram, it's only available as a giveaway, not to current subscribers. You know those of us who actually paid money to receive one issue every four years.

I've watched this thread for years, and while I've kept my opinions to myself, I have cancelled all but three preorders, but this whole SK offering to sign copies and then people who've actually invested in the company don't even have a chance, was a bit of the last straw.

I'm not some expert in how to run business, but it does look like he doesn't care about CD (I'm just now seeing those posts about the publishing contracts that they've canceled - WTF?) and his focus is entirely on himself. Which is fine, but he's ruining all of the goodwill a very small community has given him. Which probably doesn't even matter in the long run. We're just small fish.

I've seen a lot of fantastic people with really long fuses finally reach their ends. I'm more of a reactionary, dramatic guy. So I've been screaming about this for a long time. I scream about everything so it's not a real indicator of a problem, I guess. Which is why it shakes me to see some of the most solid Cemetery Dance supporters begin to boil over. Martin, Ben, you, Ron, you all have been the adults in the room when I've thrown my tantrums. If it's the final straw for some of you, then that's really the final straw.

Through all of this, not a f**king peep from Dick Chizz. He owes us more than books.

MLG
01-28-2024, 06:49 PM

I've seen a lot of fantastic people with really long fuses finally reach their ends. I'm more of a reactionary, dramatic guy. So I've been screaming about this for a long time. I scream about everything so it's not a real indicator of a problem, I guess. Which is why it shakes me to see some of the most solid Cemetery Dance supporters begin to boil over. Martin, Ben, you, Ron, you all have been the adults in the room when I've thrown my tantrums. If it's the final straw for some of you, then that's really the final straw.

Through all of this, not a f**king peep from Dick Chizz. He owes us more than books.

I do not believe I have thrown a tantrum and I have not cancelled my pre-orders but I have basically stopped paying attention to what CD has to say. I have been a regular customer of theirs since 1998 and to be Honest they have never delivered product in a timely matter. The difference is that they always communicated delays and is some cases compensated people for excessive delays. At this point their communication is non-existent and inaccurate. I believe I pointed out on a recent post that to this day they still have the next issue of the magazine as delivering in 2023. That is only one example of the useless communication CD is providing. I do not do social media so I have no comment on the signed magazine complaints. I will say that I am, like most people, not interested in complaining or begging a business for basic communication. I, and most people, simply take my business elsewhere. Most of my limited-edition dollars is going to Lividian and Suntup and I have no complaints.

richardsrarebooks
01-28-2024, 08:03 PM
I have five books still on preorder with CD, four because I bought them with store credit and if cancelled, will receive store credit and not cash. The fifth is The Stand which I purchased on 7/21/14 as part of a "Top Secret Stephen King Super Collectors Grab Bag". As part of the grab bag you could choose any Doubleday Years artist edition and I picked The Stand. I did pay cash for the grab bag but don't want any money back, just the book.

Lurker
01-28-2024, 09:48 PM
If Chizmar is so gung ho on himself why hasn't he gotten Gwendy's Final Task -- Signed Special Edition out. I know it's only been three years now, but his name is on it...

webstar1000
01-29-2024, 04:11 AM

The magazines are confirmed. KingCon has an ad in the mag. It will be shipping in March. The 50 signed copies are also confirmed....

Tommy
01-29-2024, 06:36 AM

The magazines are confirmed. KingCon has an ad in the mag. It will be shipping in March. The 50 signed copies are also confirmed....

confirmed for people that do not already have a subscription, I gotta go buy another one for a chance....

Alec
01-29-2024, 06:53 AM
Excellent news that KingCon is advertised in the magazines Kris.
However for King to sign 50 copies for Richard Chizmar, shows a healthy disregard for all the collectors who willingly pay for books that are either epic in their delay, or do not arrive at all. It is beyond comprehension that King is unaware of the poor regard that is held for Cemetery Dance and its egotistical owner Chizmar.
Fame, success and financial security do not, or should not, allow you to flaunt decisions like this in front of a clientele who are severely mistreated and lied to.

JasonUK
01-29-2024, 02:20 PM
Just received notification that my Best of Cemetery Dance 2 lettered edition is about to ship.

Rahfa
01-29-2024, 03:59 PM
However for King to sign 50 copies for Richard Chizmar, shows a healthy disregard for all the collectors who willingly pay for books that are either epic in their delay, or do not arrive at all. It is beyond comprehension that King is unaware of the poor regard that is held for Cemetery Dance and its egotistical owner Chizmar.

I'll give SK the benefit of the doubt that he doesn't know the details - he probably knows they are in bad shape and this seems like a way to help. Maybe I'm naive, but I doubt that he 1. cares, 2. knows, 3 cares to know the ins and outs of a small publisher other than good feelings for the owner.

Having said that, if I was the owner of a company and I wanted to grift a customer base by hooking new rubes with a signed item while stringing along the old rubes who have to wait for their preexisting orders, it would of course look like this.

herbertwest
01-30-2024, 12:55 AM

I'll give SK the benefit of the doubt that he doesn't know the details - he probably knows they are in bad shape and this seems like a way to help. Maybe I'm naive, but I doubt that he 1. cares, 2. knows, 3 cares to know the ins and outs of a small publisher other than good feelings for the owner.

Having said that, if I was the owner of a company and I wanted to grift a customer base by hooking new rubes with a signed item while stringing along the old rubes who have to wait for their preexisting orders, it would of course look like this.

Agreed about the SK comment.
I think that Steve saw the announcement and decided to offer as a friendly gesture to sign some copies and that's it

Ben Mears
01-30-2024, 05:03 AM

Agreed about the SK comment.
I think that Steve saw the announcement and decided to offer as a friendly gesture to sign some copies and that's it

I disagree. The fact that SK has co-authored books with Chizmar goes beyond a standard small press relationship and if he is not aware of The Stand delays then shame on him.

Alec
01-30-2024, 07:05 AM
Thank you Ben Mears.
It is impossible that the feedback reference Chizmar and CD has escaped King’s notice.

frik
01-30-2024, 08:22 AM
Just received notification that my Best of Cemetery Dance 2 lettered edition is about to ship.

Excellent: congratulations, Jason.
There's hope again my lettered Joe Hill, Strange Weather, will ship as well before I'm no longer around to enjoy its arrival.

sk

Ben Mears
01-30-2024, 10:45 AM

Happy to report that Mindy responded within a week and provided full refunds for both pre-orders via PayPal. Would rather have the books but could no longer justify supporting Chizmar's way of doing business.

Herbie_Marsten
01-30-2024, 11:43 AM
Ordered the new CD magazine 79 with new SK story. The extra hour

CyberGhostface
02-02-2024, 09:56 AM
Chad Lutzke isn’t happy with CD right now.

https://x.com/ChadLutzke/status/1753463946961420494?s=20

Ben Mears
02-02-2024, 02:35 PM

I suspect a similar post from SK would yield immediate results.

DoctorZaius
02-02-2024, 03:32 PM

I suspect a similar post from SK would yield immediate results.

Good for Lutzke. To be honest, I can't believe that King has not done something about this. I find it hard to believe that he doesn't know this is happening. Shame on him and his handlers - they should know as well.

Joe315
02-02-2024, 03:36 PM

What are the odds this book has even gone to print

jeffingoff
02-03-2024, 07:22 AM

What are the odds this book has even gone to print

It did go to print. The people who bought direct from CD are still waiting on their books. I haven't gotten a shipping notice and the book was released days ago. I asked Lisa Lebel if they were shipping and I didn't get a response. (I actually can't even find my comment on her post announcing the release day of the new Lutzke title.) While those who ordered through Amazon already have theirs.

It's a trade paperback. HOLY shit. I only bought it direct from CD because I had store credit sitting there and I want to use it while there's still a store. And on the rare occasions that CD ships a book, they do a much better job than Amazon. At this point it's either have the dinged book or no book at all, I guess. Joke's on me.

Br!an
02-03-2024, 10:15 AM
I have nine books that were ordered more than five years ago:

Patience or stupidity? :orely:

11/11/2013 1 Turn Down the Lights artist edition
12/08/2013 1 Book Club 2014 - Waiting by Rick Hautala
05/27/2015 1 We're All in this Together (Limited Edition) lettered
05/31/2015 1 We're All in This Together (Limited Edition) limited
07/13/2015 1 The Best of Shivers S/L
10/21/2015 1 Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn S/L
04/26/2016 1 Dark Screams: The Signed Limited Edition Hardcover!
05/02/2016 1 In Sunlight and In Shadow (Special Edition)
08/04/2016 1 Dark Debts (Cemetery Dance Gold Seal #1)

jeffingoff
02-03-2024, 10:30 AM

I think it's only stupidity if you're hurting for money.

And I'm not sure the only other option is patience. People could also be holding on to ridiculously old preorders due to determination, stubbornness, indifference, delusion, forgetfulness, death, refusal to accept defeat, masochism, laziness, or the insane thrill of surviving the impossible.

Ben Mears
02-03-2024, 11:35 AM
[QUOTE=Br!an;1277652]
...or the insane thrill of surviving the impossible.
Cracked me up.

For me The Stand & Pet Sematary pre-order money wasn't the issue; nor was FOMO. It was simply time to stop participating in Chizmar's Ponzi scheme.

Br!an
02-03-2024, 12:45 PM

I think it's only stupidity if you're hurting for money.

And I'm not sure the only other option is patience. People could also be holding on to ridiculously old preorders due to determination, stubbornness, indifference, delusion, forgetfulness, death, refusal to accept defeat, masochism, laziness, or the insane thrill of surviving the impossible.

I qualify for about half of those. :wtf:

ajw2910
02-03-2024, 03:11 PM
Took like 20-25 years for Best of CD 2 which was supposed to be CD 15 Year Celebration but they blew past 15 years easily.

Joe315
02-05-2024, 08:32 AM
Chizmar has a new book. Preorder for a chance to win a signed Stephen king book!!!:rolleyes:

Be ready for the flood of emails and an all stop on their other publications.

ICry4Oy
02-05-2024, 08:58 AM
Chizmar has a new book. Preorder for a chance to win a signed Stephen king book!!!:rolleyes:

Be ready for the flood of emails and an all stop on their other publications.

Came here to pretty much say the same thing. Can almost guarantee that his damned book will get out the door before anything else does.

ajw2910
02-05-2024, 09:44 AM
Yep…..it’ll be an 8 month barrage on my inbox while I’m just waiting for a shipping notice on Flight or Fright.

Tommy
02-05-2024, 10:31 AM
is there a way to block emails with certain words in the title?

WeDealInLead
02-05-2024, 11:13 AM
I responded with REMOVE.

I just want my two books and I'm forever done with CD.

Tommy
02-05-2024, 11:50 AM
Just got the second Chizmar email, not even been an hour yet

Scoogs
02-05-2024, 11:59 AM
There was a post on CD's forums last week from Dan Franklin with their explanation for the contract cancellations.

Hey there! Had someone ping me to chime in (and a reference to Coleridge poems are always a good way to summon me!)-- the cancellation of certain trade contracts was exclusively due to issues in acquisition. Far too many more projects were taken on than we can support. I will credit it to miscommunication or simple overenthusiasm for the product, but we can only produce a certain number of books before they begin drowning each other out and everyone loses. Releases get buried, promotion fails, editing errors start to gather up, and we simply don't have that many people-hours to devote to it. We were at nearly three times that threshold for 2024. A bunch of projects had to get cut. Good projects, too. It wasn't about the quality. Which projects stayed and went was largely decided by which are locked into third party deals (for example, Feb 1st has a release with three other companies involved, etc). If we didn't cut a bunch and get our line back on course, the authors would have lost money and a book, and we would have lost some money.

This way, while they are disappointed, they keep everything. We still lose some money (due to paid advances and design work) but far less so, and we maintain the integrity of the product that does release.

The trade line editors changed, but it wasn't a "changing of the guard" effect. It was a "look under the hood at the schedule and scream" situation. The cut projects would have been inevitable either way. The contracts were sadly doomed on issuance

As for the forum itself, I've not heard anything relating to discontinuation or any issues along those lines! I just don't have time to properly engage here beyond occasional posts in the Product Update thread. I hope with Lisa Lebel joining the crew to help the trade line, things will balance out a little more and we can get back to being more interactive/responsive

Joe315
02-05-2024, 12:00 PM
Just got the second Chizmar email, not even been an hour yet

Me too. Really annoying. past time I unsubscribed to their emails.

Ivo
02-05-2024, 12:46 PM
I’m stubborn, I guess I can wait a couple of more years for The Stand and Pet Semetery.:arg:

WeDealInLead
02-05-2024, 01:06 PM
https://www.librarything.com/topic/358119

Haha @ "last January." My daughter started Grade 1 when Turn Down the Lights went on pre-order. She's now two years away from university and the AE still hasn't come out.

St. Troy
02-05-2024, 01:18 PM
I'm trying to picture what it would look like if CD were to be taken over by good-faith, competent leadership with resources - how long would it take for things to stop looking fucked up to a fare-thee-well? I'm not saying CD accomplishes nothing, but man, they sure give the appearance of a man with mismatched legs running like hell in a bumpy circle.

By "resources," I mean things like having enough people to execute the contracted workload (see Dan Franklin's comment about people-hours; if some of this is just a matter of getting bodies in the door, FFS spend money on that), the ability to source new printers on a compressed timeline, and a cash infusion intended to allow CD to stop putting things up for sale loooooooong before they are in production.

And as for good or bad faith, well, when the owner's stuff goes to the head of the line every single time - no late introductions, no late slipcases, no printers/case manufacturers going out of business, no lengthy searches for their replacements here - CD is practically begging the crowd to beset CDHQ with torches and pitchforks.

Maybe someone in the industry can arrange a super-secret intervention including counseling from Paul Suntup.

Rahfa
02-05-2024, 02:34 PM
There was a post on CD's forums last week from Dan Franklin with their explanation for the contract cancellations.

I just don't have time to properly engage here beyond occasional posts in the Product Update thread. I hope with Lisa Lebel joining the crew to help the trade line, things will balance out a little more and we can get back to being more interactive/responsive

Such a joke - like he's straight-out 24/7 and just can't "engage." They've used that fake excuse before.

The whole post is just "outside forces and we're helpless artists beset by harsh winds of fate" justifications. Embarrasing.

Br!an
02-05-2024, 06:07 PM

Most email clients allow you to set filters. Go to settings and look for filters.

I have a filter that sends any email that says MEMORIALS in the body of the message to the trash.

Randall Flagg
02-05-2024, 06:25 PM

Most email clients allow you to set filters. Go to settings and look for filters.

I have a filter that sends any email that says MEMORIALS in the body of the message to the trash.
That's funny. My filter blocks anything with Br!an in the email.

Tommy
02-05-2024, 08:32 PM
:rofl:

Br!an
02-06-2024, 09:23 AM
:wtf:

St. Troy
02-06-2024, 09:56 AM
In more positive CD news, I just picked up (via eBay) one of their sweet, sweet Elsewhere slipcases.

RC65
02-06-2024, 01:40 PM
In more positive CD news, I just picked up (via eBay) one of their sweet, sweet Elsewhere slipcases.

Small world. I just this morning picked up one of their black slipcases that should fit my CD HC of THE EXORCIST / LEGION nicely...at $12 it was a no-brainer.

Tommy
02-06-2024, 01:45 PM
I regret selling a signed copy of Revival, especially that pretty slipcase CD made for it. I think Duma Key may still be my fav after market slipcase they made for a King book

shaq
02-07-2024, 09:29 AM

Small world. I just this morning picked up one of their black slipcases that should fit my CD HC of THE EXORCIST / LEGION nicely...at $12 it was a no-brainer.

I picked up one of the lettered traycase for $15 and paid $24 shipped here. For my numbered legion/exorcist.

I’d messaged them so many times over the years to see if they had one, always with a no for the answer, then they sell two on eBay. Still bought it, though a little bit miffed at being fobbed off for so long (realistically about 4 or 5 times in 7 years lol)

St. Troy
02-07-2024, 10:16 AM
I’d messaged them so many times over the years to see if they had one, always with a no for the answer, then they sell two on eBay...a little bit miffed at being fobbed off for so long...

Are you sure? I find it hard to believe it went down that way.

...I'll have you know that CD has a top notch, crack logistics team. Top. Notch.

shaq
02-07-2024, 10:31 AM
I’d messaged them so many times over the years to see if they had one, always with a no for the answer, then they sell two on eBay...a little bit miffed at being fobbed off for so long...

Are you sure? I find it hard to believe it went down that way.

...I'll have you know that CD has a top notch, crack logistics team. Top. Notch.

I think they either didn’t want to send me slightly damaged stock, or they just couldn’t be ar$ed…

Have one now though, so all good

RC65
02-07-2024, 09:36 PM

I picked up one of the lettered traycase for $15 and paid $24 shipped here. For my numbered legion/exorcist.

I’d messaged them so many times over the years to see if they had one, always with a no for the answer, then they sell two on eBay. Still bought it, though a little bit miffed at being fobbed off for so long (realistically about 4 or 5 times in 7 years lol)

Congrats, that should be a nice upgrade element. Had the traycase been offered when I checked the auctions, I’d’ve gone for that as well over the black slipcase I ended up buying.

Dave1442397
02-08-2024, 11:45 AM
The Best of Cemetery Dance 2 Lettered Edition
Traycases are finished and approved, and we expect to ship in 1-2 weeks.

So Cold the River
Books are finished at press, waiting on the final approval copy to arrive at office. Expect to ship in 2 weeks after that.

Stephen King Revisited
Rolling at press, expect to ship in 6-8 weeks.

Little Boy (unannounced)
Rolling at press, expected in 8-10 weeks, will be announced closer to publication.

The Stand
Books are at the press and we expect them to finish their work this summer. Slipcases and Traycases will be later in summer because we need finished books to get the sizing just right. For a book of this size, a dummy book isn't reliable, and we want to be sure they're perfect.

A Face in the Crowd Artist Edition
The books finished and in hand! Slipcases should be finished in 6 weeks.

A Face in the Crowd Lettered Edition
At the hand binder, who is also making the Traycases. Will ship as each batch of 10-12 copies are sent to us.

Gwendy's Final Task Limited & Lettered
Sig sheets are signed and the books are at the binder. We're expecting to ship this summer.

Gwendy's Magic Feather Lettered Edition
Wooden feathers are completed. Books are finished and in warehouse. Traycases are being worked on at the manufacturer now.

Shocklines
Rolling at press and expected in 8-10 weeks.

We'll share more news on these as they get closer to shipping, and we thank you for your continuing enthusiasm and support!

jeffingoff
02-08-2024, 12:12 PM
The Best of Cemetery Dance 2 Lettered Edition
Traycases are finished and approved, and we expect to ship in 1-2 weeks.

So Cold the River
Books are finished at press, waiting on the final approval copy to arrive at office. Expect to ship in 2 weeks after that.

Stephen King Revisited
Rolling at press, expect to ship in 6-8 weeks.

Little Boy (unannounced)
Rolling at press, expected in 8-10 weeks, will be announced closer to publication.

The Stand
Books are at the press and we expect them to finish their work this summer. Slipcases and Traycases will be later in summer because we need finished books to get the sizing just right. For a book of this size, a dummy book isn't reliable, and we want to be sure they're perfect.

A Face in the Crowd Artist Edition
The books finished and in hand! Slipcases should be finished in 6 weeks.

A Face in the Crowd Lettered Edition
At the hand binder, who is also making the Traycases. Will ship as each batch of 10-12 copies are sent to us.

Gwendy's Final Task Limited & Lettered
Sig sheets are signed and the books are at the binder. We're expecting to ship this summer.

Gwendy's Magic Feather Lettered Edition
Wooden feathers are completed. Books are finished and in warehouse. Traycases are being worked on at the manufacturer now.

Shocklines
Rolling at press and expected in 8-10 weeks.

We'll share more news on these as they get closer to shipping, and we thank you for your continuing enthusiasm and support!

Are they being purposefully coy with that "Little Boy" title? Or do we know what that's supposed to be?

Dave1442397
02-08-2024, 12:52 PM
Are they being purposefully coy with that "Little Boy" title? Or do we know what that's supposed to be?

I have no idea what that one is. A story about Hiroshima and the A-bomb?

St. Troy
02-08-2024, 01:49 PM
The Stand

Books are at the press and we expect them to finish their work this summer. Slipcases and Traycases will be later in summer...

Looks like The Stand - which not too long ago was projected to ship in fall 2023 - will now ship no earlier than fall 2024.

Amusingly, the website still says "We are anticipating to start printing this winter." Perhaps today's "books are at the press" comment confirms that printing is starting (or did start) "this winter" (now), but, once the presses are in motion (as they may be now), does it really take that long (from now until summer) to print a round of GEs (I think it goes without saying that the numbered and lettered will lag)?

I know The Stand ain't a Chiz work, but they've been talking about it like it's "just about there" for a while - one thinks they'd be keen to move it along and get some cash in for those copies not yet spoken for.

jeffingoff
02-08-2024, 01:54 PM
The Stand

Books are at the press and we expect them to finish their work this summer. Slipcases and Traycases will be later in summer...

Looks like The Stand - which not too long ago was projected to ship in fall 2023 - will now ship no earlier than fall 2024.

Amusingly, the website still says "We are anticipating to start printing this winter." Perhaps today's "books are at the press" comment confirms that printing is starting (or did start) "this winter" (now), but, once the presses are in motion (as they may be now), does it really take that long (from now until summer) to print a round of GEs (I think it goes without saying that the numbered and lettered will lag)?

I know The Stand ain't a Chiz work, but they've been talking about it like it's "just about there" for a while - one thinks they'd be keen to move it along and get some cash in for those copies not yet spoken for.

The funny thing is that they've been selling copies of The Stand in one way or another since 2014. 10 years since people bought the entire Doubleday Years set. And they've been refunding cancelled orders and selling them again in a weird Sisyphus loop. I don't know how many are left, but anyone who didn't preorder should hold their money until they see the whites of the pages.

Ben Mears
02-08-2024, 02:10 PM
The Stand...and we want to be sure they're perfect.

CD & perfect are mutually exclusive.

St. Troy
02-08-2024, 02:12 PM
The funny thing is that they've been selling copies of The Stand in one way or another since 2014...but anyone who didn't preorder should hold their money until they see the whites of the pages.

I would agree, except I think they've been hiking the price; I got mine for $125 around 3 years ago, I think it went for $150 during one of their short purchase windows after that, and I think they offered the standard-length Pet Sematary for $125 for a bit - I would be surprised if there were many more opportunities for people to get The Stand for $125.

jeffingoff
02-08-2024, 02:18 PM
The funny thing is that they've been selling copies of The Stand in one way or another since 2014...but anyone who didn't preorder should hold their money until they see the whites of the pages.

I would agree, except I think they've been hiking the price; I got mine for $125 around 3 years ago, I think it went for $150 during one of their short purchase windows after that, and I think they offered the standard-length Pet Sematary for $125 for a bit - I would be surprised if there were many more opportunities for people to get The Stand for $125.

Oh certainly not. The same goes for the AE. I think I paid $325 and it's now at $375 (at least it was at the last presale I saw). So there is that incentive to maybe get a presale discount. But I don't think it'll go up all that much more and the extra you paid after waiting until it was published could be considered insurance.

Joe315
02-08-2024, 05:28 PM
I got the Artist editions for 750. I had a large gift certificate that I used so it cut it to $500 or $84 each

Randall Flagg
02-08-2024, 07:33 PM
Whatever price you paid, it's not real until you receive the book

WeDealInLead
02-09-2024, 10:29 AM
I've emailed twice with REMOVE in the email. Mindy even responded to make sure I wanted to be unsubscribed from everything.

Guess whose email I just received.

Joe315
02-09-2024, 11:08 AM

I’ve got 4 out of the 6 so far.

jeffingoff
02-10-2024, 07:33 AM

If there was a Collector's Bible, this would be a Commandment. Along with:

A book is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

Alec
02-10-2024, 09:04 AM
For an interesting look at the world of book collecting, try:
“A Gentle Madness” by Nicholas Basbanes.

Joe315
02-10-2024, 12:48 PM

If there was a Collector's Bible, this would be a Commandment. Along with:

A book is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

and, "rarity doesn't equate to value."

Dave1442397
02-14-2024, 02:32 PM
Some more updates posted as of 2/12 - https://www.cemeterydance.com/extras/production-updates/

DoctorZaius
02-17-2024, 06:38 AM
Anyone read the email from Brian James Freeman about how some of his books are now hard to find on Amazon? Wonder if the programmer responsible for search results on Amazon has become frustrated with Cemetery Dance's backlog of books. Karma is a, well, you know.

Dave1442397
02-17-2024, 07:53 AM
Anyone read the email from Brian James Freeman about how some of his books are now hard to find on Amazon? Wonder if the programmer responsible for search results on Amazon has become frustrated with Cemetery Dance's backlog of books. Karma is a, well, you know.

Yeah, I saw that. I've seen the same thing with other authors. Sometimes I know the book is on Amazon but it's almost impossible to bring it up using the search function. I'm sure it has something to do with their sales algorithms.

BJF hasn't worked for CD in a long time, and he was the one holding things together when he was there.

DoctorZaius
02-17-2024, 09:25 AM

Yeah, I saw that. I've seen the same thing with other authors. Sometimes I know the book is on Amazon but it's almost impossible to bring it up using the search function. I'm sure it has something to do with their sales algorithms.

BJF hasn't worked for CD in a long time, and he was the one holding things together when he was there.

Ahhh...Didn't know that about BFJ.

Br!an
02-17-2024, 01:35 PM

Ahhh...Didn't know that about BFJ.

He's been running Lividian for a couple of years now. Brian, Mindy and Dan were the reason the place used to function. Now Brian and Dan moved on. Mindy still does her thing. I don't know who is actually getting the books made, or not, now.

herbertwest
02-20-2024, 02:09 AM
I believe that Lisa Lebel (which I don't know) is now co-editor at CD. At least of the paperback line
Not sure of who is officially the other editor

RC65
02-23-2024, 04:11 PM
I guess this is the right spot for this, since it's somewhat Cemetery Dance related...

A few weeks ago, there was concern by some members that the CD forum might be suddenly shut down (I think prompted by the temporary off-line status of TDT.org), and the thought was that there should be some alternate way for members to stay in touch should that happen. Especially for those who don't do Facebook, it could be a potential problem. I remembered a couple of Groups.io email lists I'm on and suggested that route.

So earlier this week I put together a Groups.io email list I've named SmallPressHorror, and if there's anyone here at The Dark Tower forum who would like to be part of that list, I'd definitely invite you to sign up...the more then merrier. I have no idea how active the list will become, but it's a nice alternative to have on hand -- and, who knows, maybe it'll grow into something just as entertaining and informative as the (increasingly few) forums we all love.

Here's what I've posted at CD:

Should something happen to the CD forum, this SmallPressHorror Groups.io list will allow all of us to stay connected via email. If that's of interest to you, the SmallPressHorror group page is below. I think you have to register for a Groups.io account (if you don't already have one), and then once done, simply subscribe to the group at the subscribe link about halfway down the Group's home page (see below). If you need any help (or want a custom email invite with link), DM me. Please note that your first post must be approved by me due to the default spam-guard at Groups.io, but after that, your messages will no longer be moderated; I've tried to keep it as free from moderation and filtering as possible. How active this group will become is up to the community members...but even as a simple backup to this forum, I think it's a nice alternative, just in case.

The introduction to the Group reads, "The SmallPressHorror group list facilitates discussion among readers and collectors of small-press books of horror, science fiction, and crime & mystery. Whether your interest is in signed-and-numbered limited editions, rare high-end lettered editions, or indie trade editions, this list provides an opportunity to share your latest exciting reads; discuss publisher and/or author news, announcements and upcoming releases; explore secondary-market collectible valuation; and express your opinions, recommendations, reviews, and insights on whatever aspect(s) of genre fiction you feel warrant discussion. Small presses which are likely to be discussed include Centipede Press, Suntup Editions, Earthling Publications, SST Publications, Subterranean Press, Lividian Publications, Thunderstorm Books, PS Publishing, Cemetery Dance, Folio Society, Gauntlet Press, Weird House Press, Dark Regions Press, Midworld Press, among others."

Hope to see you all there! We have enough bandwidth for 100 members, but if by chance it ever exceeds that, options to expand that membership number exist.

The home page to join/subscribe (and the link / email address to create a new post) is here:

https://groups.io/g/SmallPressHorror

herbertwest
04-12-2024, 03:01 AM
From CD's newsletter (17h ago) :

Today, we're pleased to make available an exclusive publication from Stephen King & Richard Chizmar.

TRAPPED, a 40 page chapbook celebrating the award-winning short film of the same name, features:

* the original 9 page story outline by STEPHEN KING & RICHARD CHIZMAR
* the original 20 page script by Chizmar
* 18 behind the scenes photographs from various film locations
* alternate movie posters

To receive your free copy of TRAPPED, all you have to do is pre-order a hardcover copy of Chizmar's upcoming novel, MEMORIALS.

Order link:

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1668009196?nodl=1&tag=simonsayscom&dplnkId=d150ca3b-6733-4160-a7d6-e5a743e5b5b0

Pre-orders must be dated TODAY or TOMORROW to qualify for this deal. Non-U.S. readers must pay postage. And yes it's fine to order again even if you already have in the past.

Each and every pre-order also qualifies you for the Stephen King giveaway in October where we will select three random winners for 3 signed SK books.

Be sure to email your MEMORIALS pre-order confirmation to RichardChizmar@icloud.com, along with your full name/address.

IMPORTANT:

* You may pre-order up to 5 copies of MEMORIALS and receive 5 free chapbooks.
* Yes, you may take advantage of this deal even if you have already previously pre-ordered MEMORIALS. Please do NOT cancel previous orders and order again just to get the chapbook. That’s not cool, and the Amazon rep chews out our S&S rep every time it happens. You can always order a second copy as a gift.

* Allow up to one week to receive email confirmation of your order. Please don’t email us more than once.
* We expect to ship the chapbook sometime in May.

I know that people are fed up about CD and Rich's book, but given this is related to Stephen King, I am surprised nobody mentionned it.

I am also surprised by Rich didn't share this in the big FB groups... he usually does... and this is obviously to boost his preorders

amd013
04-12-2024, 07:29 AM

Today, we're pleased to make available an exclusive publication from Stephen King & Richard Chizmar.

TRAPPED, a 40 page chapbook celebrating the award-winning short film of the same name, features:

To receive your free copy of TRAPPED, all you have to do is pre-order a hardcover copy of Chizmar's upcoming novel, MEMORIALS.

Order link:

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1668009196?nodl=1&tag=simonsayscom&dplnkId=d150ca3b-6733-4160-a7d6-e5a743e5b5b0

Pre-orders must be dated TODAY or TOMORROW to qualify for this deal. Non-U.S. readers must pay postage. And yes it's fine to order again even if you already have in the past.

Each and every pre-order also qualifies you for the Stephen King giveaway in October where we will select three random winners for 3 signed SK books.

Be sure to email your MEMORIALS pre-order confirmation to RichardChizmar@icloud.com, along with your full name/address.

IMPORTANT:

* Yes, you may take advantage of this deal even if you have already previously pre-ordered MEMORIALS. Please do NOT cancel previous orders and order again just to get the chapbook. That’s not cool, and the Amazon rep chews out our S&S rep every time it happens. You can always order a second copy as a gift.

* Allow up to one week to receive email confirmation of your order. Please don’t email us more than once.

I know that people are fed up about CD and Rich's book, but given this is related to Stephen King, I am surprised nobody mentionned it.

I am also surprised by Rich didn't share this in the big FB groups... he usually does... and this is obviously to boost his preorders

Interesting, seems same email went out to CDCC14 members yesterday, and one to newsletter list today, both say to order "today or tomorrow", so I guess it is extended. Interestingly, the two emails give different email addresses to send the confirmation to. The one above is from the CDCC14 email.

I guess it is working, Amazon notes it is #1 in Occult Fiction.

jwilkinson01
04-12-2024, 07:44 AM

Order link:

IMPORTANT:

Interesting, seems same email went out to CDCC14 members yesterday, and one to newsletter list today, both say to order "today or tomorrow", so I guess it is extended. Interestingly, the two emails give different email addresses to send the confirmation to. The one above is from the CDCC14 email.

I guess it is working, Amazon notes it is #1 in Occult Fiction.

I saw this and I am not the least bit interested. This is just Chizmar continuing to piggyback off of King and bribe King fans to buy his books. The secondary market will be flooded with Chizmar titles, as (I assume) King fans buy multiple copies in an attempt to win/receive King items. I guess it doesn't matter how you sell books as long as you do.

Chizmar may be a great author, I haven't read any of his works yet, but I planned to. However, now I am starting to get a bad taste in my mouth. This just comes across to me as being desperate.

I can't even understand the motivation. If you want to be a successful author, wouldn't you want to do so based on your own merit and not the notoriety of someone else? And if it is just about making money then stop pushing your own books all together and focus on getting the King books you have already sold in customer's hands before the customers all go somewhere else. Then, once you are caught up, keep cranking out King special editions like PS and make a fortune. We have proven we will buy those.

/rant

St. Troy
04-12-2024, 08:26 AM
I've already pre-ordered Memorials - would I need to order another copy in order to get a copy of Trapped?

ur2ndbiggestfan
04-12-2024, 08:38 AM
I've already pre-ordered Memorials - would I need to order another copy in order to get a copy of Trapped?

Yes, according to the e-mail.

Ben Mears
04-12-2024, 08:54 AM
The Ponzi scheme continues.
As previously stated, on principle I canceled orders for The Stand & Pet Sematary. It boggles the mind that SK continues his association with CD but turns down a Centipede proposal for a Running Man limited edition, especially after the nice job Jared did with The Long Walk. I was hoping SK would grant CP rights for limiteds of the original Bachman books aside from Rage along with Blaze as it was written during the same time period as the the first four.

jwilkinson01
04-12-2024, 09:36 AM
As previously stated, on principle I canceled orders for The Stand & Pet Sematary. It boggles the mind that SK continues his association with CD but turns down a Centipede proposal for a Running Man limited edition, especially after the nice job Jared did with The Long Walk. I was hoping SK would grant CP rights for limiteds of the original Bachman books aside from Rage along with Blaze as it was written during the same time period as the the first four.

I hadn't heard about Running Man. That is very disappointing. I had never dealt with Jerad before the Long Walk and he was a pleasure to do business with. I too was hoping for them to continue with the remainder of the Bachman Books (Rage aside).

St. Troy
04-12-2024, 09:45 AM
Chizmar needn't rely on the humiliating and parasitic "buy mine to possibly get something of his" process; Cemetery Dance's existence provides his writing with adjacence to King's, and King will support his work via blurbs/tweets - RC is not just another writer trying to get the world's attention.

And if that had once been a sensible strategy, he might consider the fact that presenting himself to the world as King's #1 bloodsucker (rather than as a viable author for our consideration) comes at the cost of reputational damage that might hinder the next step of his career -it's time to let the writing do the selling and leave the cheese in the past.

St. Troy
04-12-2024, 09:46 AM

Yes, according to the e-mail.

Aha. Fortunately for me, I don't give two shits about Trapped.

Has anyone seen the film?

St. Troy
04-12-2024, 09:57 AM
...turns down a Centipede proposal for a Running Man limited edition...

Wait, whaaaaaat?

Tell us what you know! pretty please

Good lord. "Disappointing" doesn't cover it. Jesus.

Shining, he dragged CP through the mud in an interview. Actually, I think I do know why: Jerad doesn't hold grudges, or at least doesn't let them get in the way of his business.]

RichardX
04-13-2024, 05:49 AM

My guess is that King thinks he is doing a good deed for a small publisher with whom he has had a working relationship and has no idea of the widespread customer problems. There is absolutely no excuse for the way CD conducts themselves. It borders on fraud. If anyone still does business with them, they are contributing to this conduct. Unless collectors stop buying their products, nothing will change.

webstar1000
04-13-2024, 07:00 AM

Is this a confirmed fact?

Ben Mears
04-13-2024, 09:44 AM

Yes.

ICry4Oy
04-16-2024, 08:31 AM
May 14th will be the TENTH anniversary of the purchase of "Mindy's Secret Link" for the Stephen King Doubleday books! Books that have not all been delivered yet!

Is anyone planning a party?

St. Troy
04-16-2024, 09:20 AM
May 14th will be the TENTH anniversary of the purchase of "Mindy's Secret Link" for the Stephen King Doubleday books! Books that have not all been delivered yet!

Yes! And all you have to do to attend is to preorder Richard Chizmar's latest...

ICry4Oy
04-16-2024, 09:45 AM

Yes! And all you have to do to attend is to preorder Richard Chizmar's latest...

:lol::emot-roflolmao::rofl:

Ari_Racing
04-16-2024, 12:50 PM

Yes.

Did Jerad mention this? I couldn't find it anywhere.

webstar1000
04-16-2024, 12:51 PM

Yes.

He hasn't told me about it no.

Dave1442397
04-16-2024, 01:23 PM

I didn't order the remaining books until 8/25/15. I hope to at least get The Stand by the time my tenth anniversary rolls around.

Randall Flagg
04-16-2024, 05:53 PM
He hasn't told me about it no.

Does Jared tell you everything?

Ben Mears
04-17-2024, 02:19 AM

Yes.

Yes, via direct communication.

herbertwest
04-20-2024, 03:07 AM
Interesting wording, IMO, in yesterday's email from CD :

Today, we are offering a last chance (at least for a while) to receive one (or more) of these bonus items absolutely free if you pre-order a copy of Richard Chizmar's upcoming novel MEMORIALS (order link below)...please read all the way to the bottom of this email for the full instructions.

BONUS ITEMS:

* the complete 3-book hardcover set of THE GWENDY TRILOGY
* the exclusive 40 page chapbook TRAPPED by Stephen King & Richard Chizmar
* the unsigned deluxe hardcover of Anne Rice's INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE

* Yes, you are welcome to pre-order up to 3 copies of MEMORIALS and receive all 3 bonus items.

* Only pre-orders dated April 19-22 qualify for this special giveaway

* Canadian orders please add $20 for postage; overseas add $35

* MEMORIALS Amazon link to pre-order:

Not gonna say more, but two things : so the chapbook wasn't for just a couple of days last week?
And... "at least for awhile"

Ben Mears
04-20-2024, 10:21 AM
Interesting wording, IMO, in yesterday's email from CD :

[QUOTE]
The exclusive 40 page chapbook TRAPPED by Stephen King & Richard Chizmar about a series of Stephen King limited edition books trapped in a publisher's developmental purgatory.

herbertwest
04-21-2024, 02:46 AM
lol

herbertwest
05-01-2024, 12:35 PM
For once, it kind of feels like the whole Production Status page was updated :

darkseer
05-01-2024, 05:34 PM
For once, it kind of feels like the whole Production Status page was updated :

I think your right, more information than usual :thumbsup:

cit74
05-06-2024, 10:58 AM
lemme know when the books actually show up

amd013
05-06-2024, 11:28 AM
lemme know when the books actually show up

Well, for what its worth A Face in the Crowd/The Longest December AGE showed up last week.

WeDealInLead
05-06-2024, 02:16 PM
Sure, lots of books updated with new dates. Too bad that's all it is, just new dates.

Dark Debts by Karen Hall:

The book is fully designed and we're waiting on completion of the introduction. (4/30/2024)

Dark Places by Gillian Flynn:

Working with the author to schedule the signing of the sig sheets. (4/30/2024)

These are old news with new dates.