PDA

View Full Version : Cemetery Dance discussion thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90

frik
07-23-2010, 10:28 PM
My lettered SOD1 has arrived! At least, it's in our Dutch customs right now. Could be anywhere from a couple of days to...:(

sk

Now isn't that great. Customs sent me some kind of form, which I have to fill out, stating the value of the book (which is strange, as CD has clearly indicated this).

I'm not sure, but I believe this is going to cost me close to $300.00 extra! :arg:
This did NOT happen when I received my three Buick8 states..

sk

Mr. Rabbit Trick
07-23-2010, 11:21 PM
It's probably a mistake. In the UK there is no tax (VAT) on books, so Customs do not get involved. I'm not sure if it is the same in the Netherlands, but I would let them know it's a book.

super sam
07-24-2010, 12:54 AM
Sometimes by books get stuck in the Swedish custom.
It seems to be just random wich books they take.
If so, i have to pay 6% in tax (VAT) of book value + custom fees.

frik
07-24-2010, 01:21 AM
It's probably a mistake. In the UK there is no tax (VAT) on books, so Customs do not get involved. I'm not sure if it is the same in the Netherlands, but I would let them know it's a book.

I'm sure they've opened the package and know it's a book.
Plus, together with this customs form a CD declarations was enclosed, stating it wàs a book plus cost. That's what I don't get. Because sustoms was unable to determine contents ( :orely:) plus cost, I had to fill out this extra form, stating what they already knew.

Customs is very unpredictable. Some books I don't have to pay extra for, others I do.

Hm...I just read on the www that my tax will be 6%...still close to one hundred dollars....:pullhair:

sk

Mr. Rabbit Trick
07-24-2010, 08:17 AM
So Customs involvement is random in the Netherlands. Probably depends on what the guy smoked that day! :ninja:

Ari_Racing
07-24-2010, 09:13 AM
Ok...I had a similar issue before. Books don't pay taxes in Argentina, but if the book is declared as "Printed stuff", it PAYS stuff. More if it's a private courier, like DHL (the company I hate the most in the whole world..they even charged me for pictures recorded in a blank cd).

frik
07-26-2010, 06:45 AM
Still nothing...still waiting.....:pullhair:

sk

Dr. Dawg
07-26-2010, 02:15 PM
Just received notification that my UTD slipcase has shipped!

Cutter
07-26-2010, 03:22 PM

Same,

miracles never cease, lol

Surpriningly CD is really kicking out the backlog right now. Although, they still have some work like Legacies, they are actually getting almost caught up!

Sam
07-26-2010, 07:55 PM
I just got an email informing me that one of the books I ordered years ago, The Forum, should be shipping soon and they're confirming addresses.

e_taylor
07-27-2010, 05:34 AM

Same,

miracles never cease, lol

Surpriningly CD is really kicking out the backlog right now. Although, they still have some work like Legacies, they are actually getting almost caught up!

Its nice to see. If/when I finally see Legacies and In Laymon's Terms being shipped I might even consider giving them another chance.

Brice
07-27-2010, 05:40 AM
...in Laymon's terms? :unsure:

Randall Flagg
07-27-2010, 07:11 AM
Laymon's Terms:
To put something in laymon’s terms is to describe a complex or technical issue using words and terms that the average Jamaican:evil: can understand.

Merlin1958
07-27-2010, 07:13 AM
Laymon's Terms:
To put something in laymon’s terms is to describe a complex or technical issue using words and terms that the average Jamaican:evil: can understand.

Good one, Mon!!!!

LOL

Bev Vincent
07-27-2010, 07:14 AM
Jamaica me crazy.

Nerak
07-27-2010, 07:20 AM
Jamaica me crazy.

I think if I had soda in my mouth it would have come out of my nose on that one!!! LOL

Merlin1958
07-27-2010, 07:26 AM
Jamaica me crazy.

I think if I had soda in my mouth it would have come out of my nose on that one!!! LOL

For me it was coffee and it did!!! Thanks Bev!!!

LOL
:doh:

e_taylor
07-27-2010, 09:08 AM

An anthology celebrating Richard Laymon. Another one of their 7+ year delayed books. At one point they blamed his daughter who was writing the introduction, despite the fact that they had given her nothing with which to write the introduction.

jhanic
07-27-2010, 01:12 PM
I just got this:

Hi there!

You're receiving this email because you purchased a slipcase for Blockade Billy by Stephen King.

Our manufacturer is working hard on the cases right now. They've given us an estimated ship date of late-August, less than a month from today.

Late August!

John

Sir_Boomme
07-27-2010, 03:15 PM
Forgive me if someone else has already posted pictures of the Lettered Edition of SOD elsewhere (I didn't look through every thread to see).
anyway, I received this the other day and have been meaning to post some pics.... just now getting to it.

Traycase:

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/sir_boomme/sk4-Lmt%20%20plus%20Eds/_traycasefront.jpg

Traycase comparison next to the Lettered edition of Salem's Lot

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/sir_boomme/sk4-Lmt%20%20plus%20Eds/_traycasecompsalems.jpg

Traycase comparison next to the Whitney Limited My Pretty Pony and a Limited UTD

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/sir_boomme/sk4-Lmt%20%20plus%20Eds/_sizecomppony.jpg

Book in the Traycase

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/sir_boomme/sk4-Lmt%20%20plus%20Eds/_bookintraycase.jpg

Book Outside the Traycase (you can see the Guilded edges here)

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/sir_boomme/sk4-Lmt%20%20plus%20Eds/_bookoutoftraycase.jpg

best thing about it is the Burnt Orange traycase lining...
Can ya Say HOOK EM HORNS!!!!!

Cutter
07-27-2010, 03:22 PM
Wow, I gotta say that looks very impressive! :thumbsup:

jhanic
07-27-2010, 04:06 PM
Nice, Terry!

John

Brice
07-27-2010, 04:18 PM
Beautiful Terry!

Thanks to Eric for the explanation. I hadn't heard of that one.

And thanks Jerome and Bev for making me laugh my ass off.

Rahfa
07-27-2010, 05:12 PM
What's the signature page look like?

I'm going to be Debbie Downer and point out that one of the delays was due to traycase sizing, etc.., but obviously the book is not sized to the traycase...it's very big and impressive, but the size has nothing to do with the book.

Randall Flagg
07-27-2010, 05:47 PM
Magnificent! Congratulations to you-for your patience, and kudos to CD for what appears to be a great presentation for Longhorn fans.
P.S. I bet it still weighs less than the Knowing Darkness S/L:cyclops:

frik
07-27-2010, 11:41 PM
The moment I saw your photos, I skipped over them...:evil:
Mine has been at customs for more than a week now and I don't want to know what the book/traycase looks like before I unwrap the package....

sk

The Library Policeman
07-28-2010, 05:51 AM
That really is one beautiful looking book :thumbsup:

herbertwest
07-28-2010, 07:32 AM
I guess that the second market hunt will start soon for the lettered

It looks gorgeous!

Tito_Villa
07-28-2010, 07:35 AM
Yup it really does, any chance of the signature page???

Mr. Rabbit Trick
07-28-2010, 10:51 PM
I guess that the second market hunt will start soon for the lettered

It looks gorgeous!

There is one on ebay right now.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Secretary-Dreams-Stephen-King-LETTERED-STATE-/270614481227?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_Fiction_Books&hash=item3f01e1494b

ibeforej
07-29-2010, 08:24 AM
Beautiful! CD definitely knows how to put together an awesome lettered edition!

jhanic
07-29-2010, 08:29 AM
When they get around to actually doing it!

John

frik
07-29-2010, 12:11 PM
Mine is still in a state of hibernation at our Dutch customs....:(

sk

biomieg
07-29-2010, 12:13 PM
Did you hear anything yet about the additional costs?

pixiedark76
07-29-2010, 12:20 PM

I just got both the Collectors edition and the regular slipcase for UTD in the mail. I would have pictures of them, but my camera battery is dead.::doh:

I think that they look great. My only complaint is that for the UTD collectors edition, there is no place to hold the cards that came with it. (Like the slipcases from SK collector)

Room 217 Caretaker
07-29-2010, 03:49 PM

I just got both the Collectors edition and the regular slipcase for UTD in the mail. I would have pictures of them, but my camera battery is dead.::doh:

I think that they look great. My only complaint is that for the UTD collectors edition, there is no place to hold the cards that came with it. (Like the slipcases from SK collector)

Did you receive the traycase? My box of cards set right on top of the book and it all goes in just fine. CD did a nice job on this traycase.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Sam
07-29-2010, 05:10 PM
Pics please!

frik
07-30-2010, 01:31 AM
Did you hear anything yet about the additional costs?

No, not yet. But apparently the book's out of hibernation and at my local postoffice. Maybe today....most likely next week....:cry:

sk

Cutter
07-30-2010, 07:35 AM
I received the slipcase, and it was just average imo. But it isn't cheap either, so I'll take it. *shrug*

Merlin1958
07-30-2010, 08:09 AM
Just got this Email:

Hi there!

You're receiving this email because you preordered THE SECRETARY OF DREAMS (Volume Two) by Stephen King.

As planned, we sent the book to the printer earlier this month and everything is moving smoothly. We expect the "dummy book" -- which is essentially a blank version of the book that is exactly the same size the real book will be -- to be ready next week. As soon as the "dummy book" is completed, it will be overnighted to our traycase and slipcase manufacturer, who needs it to get the sizing of the cases just right. As soon as they can confirm that sizing, they will begin production on the cases.

We will send you another update once the slipcase and traycase production has started and they have an estimated ship date.

To thank you for your support, we've created a special 33% off discount coupon that you can use to order almost anything on our website for the next 72 hours.

*** Here is your 33% off coupon code:

SOD2DIS33

Guess things really are moving on!!!! Snails pace, but moving!!!!!

frik
07-30-2010, 08:54 AM
Well, that is good news.
Wonder if the lettered edition will go out together with the rest.
This did happen with the Buick 8 books.

sk

ibeforej
07-30-2010, 12:38 PM
Does anyone know when CD usually releases the ARC's for their books? I'm supposed to get one for SOD Vol2 (it came with a SK grab bag I bought in 1982.) ;)

pixiedark76
07-30-2010, 01:57 PM

Did you receive the traycase? My box of cards set right on top of the book and it all goes in just fine. CD did a nice job on this traycase.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

No, I just got the regular slipcase.

frik
08-03-2010, 11:40 AM
If anyone doesn't want his traycase....I'd love one.

Oh...just received:

You're receiving this email because you purchased FULL DARK, NO STARS by Stephen King or one of our recent Stephen King slipcases or traycases.
Many of the collectors who have seen the photos we posted of our special slipcases and traycases for Under the Dome and our soon-to-ship collectible slipcases for Blockade Billy have asked if we could also make slipcases or traycases for Full Dark, No Stars, King's new novella collection due out this fall.
We've heard from enough of our collectors that we've decided we should produce slipcases AND traycases for this book, but we're only going to accept preorders for an extremely limited time. After that, NO MORE orders will be accepted and we will NOT be making extra cases later on. (You do not need to have ordered the book from us to order a slipcase or traycase.)
Here is the product page to read more about this limited time offer:
http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/x_cases001
If you haven't seen the special cases we made for Under the Dome or Blockade Billy, please visit these pages on our website for some photos:
http://www.cemeterydance.com/extras/blockade-billy-slipcase/
http://www.cemeterydance.com/extras/under-the-dome-cases/

biomieg
08-03-2010, 11:58 AM
A Cemetery Dance UTD slipcase (http://cgi.ebay.com/STEPHEN-KING-UNDER-DOME-LIMITED-SLIPCASE-/360286983386?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Antiquarian_Collectible&hash=item53e2c714da) is for sale on eBay right now at a BIN of $59...

jhanic
08-03-2010, 11:58 AM
I also got this email and deleted it. Personally, I just can't see the additional cost of a slip/traycase for a regular trade edition being worth it. For a more limited item, sure, but a trade edition that will probably be printed in the hundreds of thousands? No way.

John

Randall Flagg
08-03-2010, 01:01 PM
I also got this email and deleted it. Personally, I just can't see the additional cost of a slip/traycase for a regular trade edition being worth it. For a more limited item, sure, but a trade edition that will probably be printed in the hundreds of thousands? No way.

John
Cheaper to buy the books on remainder. $8 a book compared to $25 for a slipcase or $50 for a traycase.
Their prices are not outrageous, it just seems more cost effective to carefully store the books.

carlosdetweiller
08-03-2010, 01:27 PM

John
Cheaper to buy the books on remainder. $8 a book compared to $25 for a slipcase or $50 for a traycase.
Their prices are not outrageous, it just seems more cost effective to carefully store the books.

I have never understood the allure of these aftermarket slipcases. Whether made by The Overlook, CD, Thomas the Collector or whomever, they just hold no appeal to me whatsoever.

pixiedark76
08-03-2010, 02:23 PM

John

I have never understood the allure of these aftermarket slipcases. Whether made by The Overlook, CD, Thomas the Collector or whomever, they just hold no appeal to me whatsoever.

I am getting the slipcase for Full Dark No Stars because I want to protect the book and ensure that it will be kept nice for many years to come. Slipcases keep dust off the book and protect the binding of the book. I wish I could get a slipcase for every SK book I own. (At least the first editions!)

Sam
08-03-2010, 03:25 PM
I want to mention that I actually receive my copy of The Forum from CD books yesterday. It's about the smallest book I've ever purchase from anyone before (it was so small it actually fit in my mailbox with no problem and had plenty of room to spare), and that includes Blockade Billy. It's well put together, but not worth the $35 price tag that I paid. I do believe it may well be the last purchase I make from CD unless I bump my head and purchase SODII from them. I don't see that happening though.

Merlin1958
08-03-2010, 03:43 PM

John

Well, to each his/her own, but I agree with pixie I think they protect a book more nicely than a "bag" and some how "add" something to the collectible. That's me though.

carlosdetweiller
08-03-2010, 04:22 PM

John

Well, to each his/her own, but I agree with pixie I think they protect a book more nicely than a "bag" and some how "add" something to the collectible. That's me though.

Yes, to each his/her own. My books seem to stay real nice just being shelved properly and handled carefully. I usually put a Bro-Dart or Demco dust jacket protector on as soon as I get the book. That is all that I need. I've got books that I bought new 40 years ago that look as fresh as the day I bought them.

Dr. Dawg
08-03-2010, 07:08 PM

John

Yes, to each his/her own. My books seem to stay real nice just being shelved properly and handled carefully. I usually put a Bro-Dart or Demco dust jacket protector on as soon as I get the book. That is all that I need. I've got books that I bought new 40 years ago that look as fresh as the day I bought them.

I tend to be on the other end of the spectrum... I'm a slipcase junkie.

I have Collector's cases for all of my DT books that he makes them for (just missing that 1st edition gunslinger). One of my prized books is a Centipede Press Salem's Lot gift edition with extra set of photographs in the Collector's traycase, and I actually bought a 1st edition Stand because I liked the presentation in the traycase so much. For UTD, I bought the Collector's slipcase for the gift edition and a CD traycase for the signed edition.

I am drawing the line though at slipcases for regular trade editions, though. I passed on the Blockade Billy case because I have already put too much money into that tiny book (limited/1st edition/mass market) and have no plans to get the Full Dark slipcase.

biomieg
08-03-2010, 11:11 PM
I'm not too keen on aftermarket slipcases either. I have said in Dolso's thread (or at least I think I have) that I wouldn't mind getting his custom cases for all my books and I was only half kidding because I love the woodwork. But the regular aftermarket cases? Mehh... I have one for my copy of CYCLE OF THE WEREWOLF because I got it from Kyle (Kacod) like that. Like Bob, I prefer to put a protective cover on my books and that's about it. Keep your books out of direct sunlight, don't let the wind and rain blow over your shelves, and handle your books with care and all should be fine.

Cloysterpete
08-04-2010, 03:19 AM
I love slipcases, If Scribner brought out each new King book in slipcase I would buy it (expenses allowing).

But they would have to be published by the same company who publishes the book, not some knock-off case that some other publisher puts out looking to make some coin off of King's new book, in-fact seeing as how they haven't gone to the effort/expense involved in producing and marketing a new King book I don't believe in giving a company like CD money made off the back of another publisher book.

I honestly don't know how is it there allowed to make these?, does King/Scribner just give permission or don't they need it?. Seems wrong to me.

e_taylor
08-04-2010, 03:30 AM
I love slipcases, If Scribner brought out each new King book in slipcase I would buy it (expenses allowing).

But they would have to be published by the same company who publishes the book, not some knock-off case that some other publisher puts out looking to make some coin off of King's new book, in-fact seeing as how they haven't gone to the effort/expense involved in producing and marketing a new King book I don't believe in giving a company like CD money made off the back of another publisher book.

I honestly don't know how is it there allowed to make these?, does King/Scribner just give permission or don't they need it?. Seems wrong to me.

Theres no copyright infringement, they are simply making a case to house a book.

I still agree with your sentiments though.

lophophoras
08-04-2010, 03:58 AM
Purchasing a case for a regular trade edition seems a little excessive to me. Some people like them and that's cool, if you have the money and that is what you want to spend it on then I say go for it.

On the flip side, I really liked the cases that Tomas made for The Stand. As old as that book is and as popular as it is, I think that case was a great way to protect, display, and add more value to the book. I think he is working on cases for the other early first, I'll be in line to purchase each one of those as well.

Also, I can see purchasing a case for a trade edition only if it has been signed. I think the case would add to the value and collectability of the book.

Of course, these are just my opinions.

:unsure:

Cloysterpete
08-04-2010, 04:00 AM
Theres no copyright infringement, they are simply making a case to house a book.
I still agree with your sentiments though.

...and putting Stephen King name on it and Under the Dome. Can't Scribner trademark the name of the book to stop it being pasted onto other products?. I know it would piss me off if it was my book and they were using my name without my permission.

biomieg
08-04-2010, 05:42 AM
I think it depends - see Dolso's collection thread, for example. He mentions a couple of times that some of his cases can't be sold because of copyright issues. Perhaps that is the case when one actually uses the 'logo' of a book (meaning, identical fonts and additional drawings etcetera) as opposed to simply the name of the book and/or the author in a basic font. I may be wrong though.

Ari_Racing
08-04-2010, 06:29 AM
Actually, I always loved CD's slipcases and traycases, since I got the first one from them (From a Buick 8 gift edition). I'm getting one of these for sure and I only regret I didn't saw the UTD ones before.

biomieg
08-04-2010, 06:35 AM
Since we're still discussing slipcases, I might as well get this off my chest: there are some nice slipcases out there but the Overlook ones... man, they are fugly!!! I know many people like them but I can't stand them.

ELazansky
08-04-2010, 06:38 AM
I like slipcases for protection purposes. I don't have a dedicated room in my house that is completely void of sunlight, and I don't have any bookcases with doors containing UV coating on the glass. So for anything other than regular trade editions, I use slipcases, turn the books around so the spines face the back of the bookcase, and my books have pretty good protection from the sun and dust. Plus, if my kids get to my books, less chance of damage to the books since they are somewhat protected.

Randall Flagg
08-04-2010, 10:07 AM
This just in from Cemetery Dance:

NEW ANNOUNCEMENT!
The Cemetery Dance Collectors Club is Here!
Members receive an EXCLUSIVE Signed Limited Edition Hardcover, Limited Edition Stephen King Art Print, T-Shirt, Tote Bag, Discounts, Membership Card, and other perks not available to the general public!
Available for TEN DAYS Only and Then They're GONE!

Hi Folks!
Today we're pleased to announce we're selling memberships to the first-ever Cemetery Dance Collectors Club!

There are many extremely exciting "members' only" perks for those who join... including an EXCLUSIVE SIGNED LIMITED EDITION HARDCOVER by horror master RAY GARTON featuring his most controversial work ever!
The book is called WAILING AND GNASHING OF TEETH and copies of this signed Limited Edition will NEVER be offered to the general public: no dealers, no wholesalers, no bookstores, no direct sales, no individual copy sales.
Other books we've published in this manner have re-sold on the secondary market for up to $300! These "Not For Sale" books make incredible additions to any collection, and this part of the deal alone is a great value, but it's also just the beginning!
Here are all of the incredible perks that ONLY MEMBERS will receive:
* an exclusive Limited Edition Cemetery Dance t-shirt that will never be sold to the general public -- this is different from the Pennywise shirt and will NEVER be offered again ($17.99 retail value)
* a Limited Edition Cemetery Dance Tote Bag that will never be sold to the general public ($36.99 retail value)
* a SIGNED Limited Edition FULL COLOR Glenn Chadbourne art print depicting a scene from The Secretary of Dreams (Volume Two) by Stephen King, printed on a special heavy paper stock. This exclusive art print will be limited to exactly the number of members in the club and will NEVER be printed or sold again! ($50.00 retail value)
* one in-stock signed Limited Edition of our choice that will ship with your "welcome packet" ($40 retail value)
* exclusive discounts throughout the next year sent straight to your inbox -- minimum possible savings will be more than $1,000
* an exclusive Membership ID card, hand-numbered by a member of our staff, that commemorates your role as a "FOUNDING MEMBER" of the collectors club -- your ID number will be assigned as you join, so the first member will be 001, etc.
* and last, but certainly not least, one copy of WAILING AND GNASHING OF TEETH by Ray Garton, the exclusive "Not For Sale" SIGNED and NUMBERED Limited Edition hardcover featuring his most controversial religious horror short stories, plus at least one or two new pieces that are sure to get him in trouble with someone!
This is a book that is way too over-the-top for a mass market publisher or even the regular small press audience... hence this very limited publication that is sure to turn the book into a legendary title for collectors! We've done two other "Not For Sale" Limited Editions with Ray, which have proven to be extremely popular. Once collectors get these "Not For Sale" books, they tend to hoard them, driving the value up!
This is a full-blown Limited Edition with all of the usual fine details that make our books special and collectible, and the print run will be set by how many memberships we sell. For example, if we sell 100 memberships, there will be just 100 copies of this book printed!
Your one year membership and your exclusive discounts will begin when this special ends in ten days, and your welcome packet with your t-shirt, tote bag, art print, in-stock Limited Edition, and Membership ID card will ship this fall (some items need to be custom made and can't be produced until we have final counts for the membership roster).
Here's the amazing thing about this deal: this one year membership only costs $99 plus shipping!
Look at the value of what you'll get in your first shipment alone (almost $150 worth of great items!) and then remember that you're also getting the "Not For Sale" book (which could easily be worth a lot more than the membership fee all by itself!) and you're also going to receive numerous exclusive discounts and special offers throughout the year -- and you'll quickly see what an incredible value this deal is!
Most importantly for the collectors, NONE of the special items we're producing for the members will be sold to the general public! We will offer a lettered edition of the Garton book down the road, as is the standard procedure for the "Not For Sale" books we produce, but those lettered editions usually sell out overnight and only increase awareness of the Limited Edition. Your exclusive signed Limited Edition will be the first version printed anywhere in the world!
We know some people will want memberships for friends and family, but we must limit each customer to three memberships. We're only going to offer these memberships for TEN DAYS and then they're gone for good, so don't wait! Place your order today so you don't miss out!
As always, thanks for your continued support and enthusiasm!

lophophoras
08-04-2010, 11:07 AM
Since we're still discussing slipcases, I might as well get this off my chest: there are some nice slipcases out there but the Overlook ones... man, they are fugly!!! I know many people like them but I can't stand them.

LOL....

:wtf:

Rahfa
08-04-2010, 03:27 PM
Nobody's posted a pic of the SOD lettered signature page yet?

I'm not expecting anything special..but still neat to see!

Randall Flagg
08-04-2010, 04:48 PM
http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/1980/sodlettered.jpg

Rahfa
08-04-2010, 06:27 PM
Pretty cool!

frik
08-04-2010, 09:55 PM
Nobody's posted a pic of the SOD lettered signature page yet?

I'm not expecting anything special..but still neat to see!

And another one (which I had posted in my collectionthread..)

sk

http://a.imageshack.us/img837/6435/stephenkingaanwinsten01.jpg

shnnrc01
08-04-2010, 10:20 PM
really nice!

ELazansky
08-05-2010, 05:29 AM
So does anyone have opinions on their new Collector's Club? I realize CD has had numerous issues in the past, but I'm only trying to look forward. I suppose for $99 for the year, it looks like a good value for the items that you get. I'm sure the "future discounts" won't be eligible on any SK items, but it might be a good way to pick up some s/l books from authors I've never read before at a low price. Curious what others think...

Tito_Villa
08-05-2010, 05:39 AM
So does anyone have opinions on their new Collector's Club? I realize CD has had numerous issues in the past, but I'm only trying to look forward. I suppose for $99 for the year, it looks like a good value for the items that you get. I'm sure the "future discounts" won't be eligible on any SK items, but it might be a good way to pick up some s/l books from authors I've never read before at a low price. Curious what others think...

It doesn't sound too bad, but i just can't justify giving them anymore $$$ untill i get the books that are owed to me!

Merlin1958
08-05-2010, 05:42 AM

They've run out of the Blockade Billy money already!? Or is someone planning a little "European Getaway"?

LOL
:P:wtf:

carlosdetweiller
08-05-2010, 06:33 AM

I don't get e-mails from CD anymore so I don't know how the "club" is supposed to work. I think if you want inexpensive books by CD....one way would be to go to ABE search page and type Cemetery Dance in the publisher line.....then ask for them to be listed "lowest price first." I'll bet there would be lots of CD books by people you haven't read at low prices and you wouldn't have to wait on CD's interminable delays and slow production schedule.

How does the proposed "Collector's Club" work anyway?

jhanic
08-05-2010, 06:38 AM
I forwarded their email to you. (I'm not joining it.)

John

Mr. Rabbit Trick
08-05-2010, 07:20 AM
Anyone who joins it deserves all they get. There has been enough warnings in the past.

carlosdetweiller
08-05-2010, 07:40 AM
I forwarded their email to you. (I'm not joining it.)

John

I got it. Thanks, John. Wow, a tote bag AND a membership card too! Who could resist?

_PCC_
08-05-2010, 08:05 AM
Hi, I'm looking to purchase a Cemetery Dance Under The Dome Traycase. If anyone has an extra they would like to sell, let me know. I don't believe in after-market slipcases either, but there are exceptions. For S&S to release the S/L copies in shrinkwrap only with no case and no numbering was terrible. Also, I'm getting the BB slipcase because CD was the publisher and it looks great. They should have never let S&S publish BB though. Let me know if you have an UTD Traycase for sale.

Brice
08-05-2010, 08:13 AM
One day CD will do a signed/limited edition collecting all of their delay emails. The lettered edition will contain a special bonus chapbook containing the delays for this book too.

pixiedark76
08-05-2010, 10:04 AM
One day CD will do a signed/limited edition collecting all of their delay emails. The lettered edition will contain a special bonus chapbook containing the delays for this book too.

:lol::rofl:

swintek
08-05-2010, 12:04 PM
I've been trying to figure out just what CD is pulling with this latest "Exclusive", and as far as I can tell it just looks like a way to get rid of some useless items nobody really wants (I mean a "Hand Numbered Membership Card" is definitely a new low) while using "one or two" new Ray Garton short stories (with repackaged reprints) as bait- @ $110.00

I'm a big Garton collector, nearly a completist, but this is really hard to swallow. I'd pay half that for the book alone, but have no interest in being forced to pay the other half for crap I really DON'T want. But I guess that is their point.

I really don't do CD bashing, as despite their many issues over the last several years- I'm still always pulling for them. I've been there with them from the very begining, but these "Clubs" aren't winning anybody over, I'm afraid.

biomieg
08-05-2010, 12:13 PM
CD does seem to think that 'hand-numbering' is a new invention. I'm more impressed by Centipede's hardnumbered (printed) limitation pages.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
08-05-2010, 10:21 PM

You just put the idea in their heads! :wtf:

Brice
08-06-2010, 05:51 AM
:cyclops:

Merlin1958
08-06-2010, 06:28 AM

LMAO!!!!

Where do I sign up!!!!!!

:P

Rahfa
08-06-2010, 07:05 AM
CD does seem to think that 'hand-numbering' is a new invention. I'm more impressed by Centipede's hardnumbered (printed) limitation pages.

Ha! Funny you say that...I totally agree.

The printed numbered sheets in "Knowing Darkness" looked soooo much better than a hand-numbered sheet...I mean, it's a totally minor point of course, but it was something I noticed.

I've been trying to figure out just what CD is pulling with this latest "Exclusive", and as far as I can tell it just looks like a way to get rid of some useless items nobody really wants (I mean a "Hand Numbered Membership Card" is definitely a new low) while using "one or two" new Ray Garton short stories (with repackaged reprints) as bait- @ $110.00

I'm a big Garton collector, nearly a completist, but this is really hard to swallow. I'd pay half that for the book alone, but have no interest in being forced to pay the other half for crap I really DON'T want. But I guess that is their point.

I really don't do CD bashing, as despite their many issues over the last several years- I'm still always pulling for them. I've been there with them from the very begining, but these "Clubs" aren't winning anybody over, I'm afraid.

Well, they aren't winning US over...but with Blockade Billy, they've got THOUSANDS of new customers they can start trying to sell stuff too...so I'm sure that's where all this came out of.

Randall Flagg
08-06-2010, 03:50 PM
Many think CD sucks-and they (we) all have a significant point/gripe with them, but I will say this:
'I'm glad they are there, they produce quality books, and the alternative (they go out of business) is not palatable. '

jhanic
08-06-2010, 04:03 PM
Agreed.

John

ur2ndbiggestfan
08-06-2010, 05:39 PM
I like CD too. I bought books from them 8 or 10 years ago, never had any problems, then stopped for a while because of financial difficulties (I couldn't afford the expensive King books they started doing!), and am now buying from them again.

Merlin1958
08-07-2010, 07:25 AM
Many think CD sucks-and they (we) all have a significant point/gripe with them, but I will say this:
'I'm glad they are there, they produce quality books, and the alternative (they go out of business) is not palatable. '

Good point. If they went out of business, I'd have nothing to bitch & moan about anymore!!!

LOL :P

They do put out a great product, when they finally deliver.

biomieg
08-07-2010, 10:24 AM
Most of my dissatisfaction with CD is actually only by association because I see how they sit on collectors' money and fail to deliver again and again. I only prepaid for the SOD2 gift edition and had my money refunded a long time ago so nothing CD does affects me personally.

But what I find annoying is the random CD propaganda emails pushing lots of UNIQUE OPPORTUNITIES such as HAND-NUMBERED LIMITED EDITIONS that wil NEVER EVER BE FOR SALE AGAIN. Just shut up already and deliver the goods!

Rahfa
08-07-2010, 12:25 PM
Right...I'm glad they're publishing books, hope they find their footing and stay around for awhile...but I won't be buying from them again. It's not even a question of spite or anything, but simply that I lost interest in dealing with them.

frik
08-07-2010, 12:34 PM
Whatever I ordered from CD, was delivered.
Took awhile, but I'm glad I hung in there.
It was/is worth it.

sk

Cutter
08-07-2010, 01:36 PM

Agreed. CD puts out more Stephen King books and Stephen King related books than any other small press publisher, plus the tons of articles and Bev Vincent doing the Dead Zone, etc... are all valuable resources for King fanatics. There isn't another small press as devoted to King as CD, and if CD closed down it would stink in my opinion. And I've complained as bad as anyone here, but I realize how devoted they are to doing King stuff, and I like that.

pixiedark76
08-07-2010, 05:50 PM
I think the only person who truly "Hates" CD is my husband. :angry::pullhair: Because of Cemetery Dance I spend most of our money buying books!

pixiedark76
08-07-2010, 06:14 PM

Here are my pics of the UTD slipcases:

http://i34.tinypic.com/15gcec0.jpg

http://i37.tinypic.com/wh99g.jpg

http://i34.tinypic.com/avoq4y.jpg

http://i33.tinypic.com/14cbtwg.jpg

http://i35.tinypic.com/2i7wcuc.jpg

http://i37.tinypic.com/wh99g.jpg

I decided to put the UK edition in the regular slipcase and I put the US trade edition in the collectors slipcase. I ordered a slipcase from SK collector because I wanted the shelf for the collector cards.

Merlin1958
08-07-2010, 06:43 PM
Dolso's case was really, really nice and held the cards as well. For a signed edition though I guess.

http://a.imageshack.us/img831/6015/skcollection011.jpg

Very handsome case from the collector though. He always does "Top notch" work.

jhanic
08-09-2010, 11:07 AM
I just got an email stating that the Blockade Billy slipcases are shipping this week! Early!

John

pixiedark76
08-09-2010, 01:15 PM
I wish I could order another one because I got the 2nd printing of Blockade Billy.

Randall Flagg
08-09-2010, 04:18 PM
CD has some other interesting news in the recent newsletter.

Also a video with inside look at CD. Go to the 16 minute mark.

http://video.mpt.tv/video/1557684830/

frik
08-09-2010, 09:09 PM
Cool video.

sk

Randall Flagg
08-10-2010, 06:25 AM
CD just sent a sneak pre-order e-mail for Peter Straub's 'Pork Pie Hat'.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
08-10-2010, 07:36 AM
Another 'secret link'. Why?

Randall Flagg
08-10-2010, 08:10 AM
Another 'secret link'. Why?
1. Hype sells.
2. If there is no hype, create hype.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
08-10-2010, 08:25 AM
True. (They did email the 'secret link' to 3,300 of their customers)

WeDealInLead
08-10-2010, 08:49 AM
I'm tempted to order their slipcase for Full Dark because I haven't heard of any limited editon being announced.

jhanic
08-10-2010, 09:20 AM
It took a while before the limited edition of Under the Dome was announced. I wouldn't "panic" yet--one could still be announced. I just hope Scribner (or whomever gets to do one) does a better job on this one than was done for UTD.
John

Niels
08-10-2010, 12:43 PM

Does Anyone know why Richard is talking about 5000 copies of "From a Buick 8" ?

One their site is stated:
- Slipcased Gift Edition of only 1,750 copies ($75)
- Signed and traycased Limited Edition of only 750 copies ($250)
- Deluxe signed Lettered Edition of only 52 copies, each protected in a hand-made hinged box

That's no more than 2552 copies !?

Ari_Racing
08-10-2010, 12:48 PM
Isn't 3750 copies of gift edition?

Besides there are the PC's, Author's, Artist's and the rest of these copies, but I don't know if they exist for this book.

jhanic
08-10-2010, 01:01 PM
My records also show 1,750 copies of the gift edition of From a Buick 8.

John

Niels
08-10-2010, 02:18 PM
Isn't 3750 copies of gift edition?

Besides there are the PC's, Author's, Artist's and the rest of these copies, but I don't know if they exist for this book.

To my knowledge, only the gift edition of Insomnia had 3750 copies.

Randall Flagg
08-10-2010, 02:38 PM
I think it was a simple mistake on his part. A semi-live interview, he made a verbal typo. No big deal.

Merlin1958
08-10-2010, 04:01 PM
You know, watching that video segment softened me up a bit. If they can get their proverbial Sh*t together, I would be willing to scratch them off my "I hate" list and start buying from them again. Of course they would still have to step up some deliveries, but life is about second (or fourth) chances, right?

Currently, I buy their stuff from other sellers JUST so I don't have to pay them direct. Even at a premium. Be nice to be able to save a couple dollars AND recieve the book!!!!!

I guess I'll start pulling for themand give them to the end of the year to get it together.

:evil::evil::evil:

Ari_Racing
08-10-2010, 04:44 PM
I'm currently looking for a trade edition of The Best of Cemetery Dance. Please PM me if you have one to sell.

Thanks!

lophophoras
08-11-2010, 03:46 AM

I wonder which office worker was Mindy.. The blond or the brunette?

:orely:

Mr. Rabbit Trick
08-11-2010, 06:05 AM

She's a brunette!

http://www.grimmemennesker.dk/data/media/2/niceniceniceteeth.jpg

lophophoras
08-11-2010, 06:25 AM

She's a brunette!

LOL...that's bad.

:wtf:

Randall Flagg
08-11-2010, 06:29 AM
I'm glad I didn't have my coffee to my mouth when I saw that.

biomieg
08-11-2010, 07:11 AM
Holy...

By the way, was it just me or was this show 'hostess' (ot whatever you call it in English) extremely annoying?

Randall Flagg
08-11-2010, 09:10 AM
She is called a 'reporter', or a 'journalist', and she was a bit annoying.

biomieg
08-11-2010, 10:59 AM
Okay, you learn something new everyday ;) (I know reporters and journalists of course but I always think of people like this lady in terms of presenting/hosting a tv show).

Thanks Jerome!

shnnrc01
08-11-2010, 12:06 PM
mindy is one hot piece of ass!! mmm,yum yum!!:evil:

Randall Flagg
08-11-2010, 12:38 PM
mindy is one hot piece of ass!! mmm,yum yum!!:evil:
To each his own:

Merlin1958
08-11-2010, 01:33 PM
OMG stop re-posting that Pic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She keeps "flashing" in my minds eye!!!!!!!!!!!

:wtf::wtf::wtf:

LostAlivE
08-11-2010, 01:34 PM
Richard Chizmar said in the interview that he wasn't a businessman.
I think everyone and his brother knew that about him.
So why doesn't he get and/or hire someone who is a businessman before he screws this opportunity into the ground.
If we didn't like or care for CD we wouldn't be kicking them around so much when they screw up things.
He gives us great quality book and I hope he gets things right this time and gets cought up on all of their projects for our sakes as well as for his.

LostAlivE
08-11-2010, 01:39 PM
I wish I could order another one because I got the 2nd printing of Blockade Billy.

If you contact Mindy at CD she might be able to help you out with that.

jhanic
08-11-2010, 02:08 PM
I just got notice that my CD slipcase for Blockade Billy has shipped.

John

pixiedark76
08-11-2010, 03:19 PM
I got my slipcase in the mail today:

http://i36.tinypic.com/1zc1ky8.jpg

Cutter
08-11-2010, 03:35 PM
I'm with John, I just got the email that mine shipped. So close, but not yet.

frik
08-11-2010, 08:46 PM
No e-mail yet....
But, Lilja's Library should be on its way.

sk

WeDealInLead
08-12-2010, 05:41 PM
Is anyone going to get the remarqued Blockade Billy? It's $99 but the book is a second printing. I'd much rather send my first printing to the man directly but the picture they sent out in their email is quite nice actually.

Sam
08-12-2010, 08:36 PM
Not gonna bother with it. I would rather send it to the artist myself since my copy is a first edition, but mostly I didn't care for the art anyway, so no big deal for me.

frik
08-12-2010, 08:53 PM
Just received an e-mail from Amazon: They will be unable to get the S/LThe Passage. As we suspected.
I'm glad I pre-ordered mine through CD.

sk

oy-the-brave
08-12-2010, 09:34 PM
Is anyone going to get the remarqued Blockade Billy? It's $99 but the book is a second printing. I'd much rather send my first printing to the man directly but the picture they sent out in their email is quite nice actually.

Are you talking about the Alex McVey remarques offered a few months ago? Or the Glenn Chadbourne offered a few days ago?

I ordered both and the McVey remarque has been shipped and should be here any day.

Clacke
08-13-2010, 05:33 AM
An update today from Lonely Roads on the Blockade Billy S/L and Riding The Bullet:

Latest News

Hi everyone!

Today I have some quick updates on our upcoming projects:

Blockade Billy by Stephen King
We've received the original artwork page for the Lettered Edition and the printer has now started all of the pre-press work for both editions, including ordering the special paper stock, the leather for the Limited Edition, and the Japanese book cloth and another leather for the Lettered Edition. We should have more information about their production schedule soon. We're still waiting to find out if we can have a "dummy book" made to give our traycase manufacturer exact sizing for the cases. (A dummy book is the exact same size and thickness as the "real" book will be, but its entirely blank.) That will be a major factor in the publication date, and we will let you know as soon as we have a firm date from everyone involved.

Riding the Bullet by Stephen King and Mick Garris
The book is rolling at the printer and they've given us a tentative shipping date of late September, but that is dependent on everything running smoothly on their end. Also, please remember that we need to get slipcases and traycases made before we can ship the books to you, but we're already working with our manufacturer on the design of those and they don't have to wait for a finished book to get started on production because the printer is able to make a "dummy book" to give them exact sizing. We'll keep you updated as we have news, but we expect this title to ship in October.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
08-13-2010, 06:01 AM
Lonely Road books must have been bankrolled by Cemetery Dance! :unsure:

jhanic
08-13-2010, 10:13 AM
Got my Blockade Billy slipcase today.

John

herbertwest
08-14-2010, 12:53 PM
An update today from Lonely Roads on the Blockade Billy S/L and Riding The Bullet:

Latest News

Hi everyone!

Today I have some quick updates on our upcoming projects:

Blockade Billy by Stephen King
We've received the original artwork page for the Lettered Edition and the printer has now started all of the pre-press work for both editions, including ordering the special paper stock, the leather for the Limited Edition, and the Japanese book cloth and another leather for the Lettered Edition. We should have more information about their production schedule soon. We're still waiting to find out if we can have a "dummy book" made to give our traycase manufacturer exact sizing for the cases. (A dummy book is the exact same size and thickness as the "real" book will be, but its entirely blank.) That will be a major factor in the publication date, and we will let you know as soon as we have a firm date from everyone involved.

Riding the Bullet by Stephen King and Mick Garris
The book is rolling at the printer and they've given us a tentative shipping date of late September, but that is dependent on everything running smoothly on their end. Also, please remember that we need to get slipcases and traycases made before we can ship the books to you, but we're already working with our manufacturer on the design of those and they don't have to wait for a finished book to get started on production because the printer is able to make a "dummy book" to give them exact sizing. We'll keep you updated as we have news, but we expect this title to ship in October.

Riding the bullet is planned for the end of october anyway... for Halloween

pixiedark76
08-14-2010, 02:24 PM

No I am not interested. :nope: I love Glenn Chadbourne art, but I don't have the money to buy remarques.

wizardsrainbow
08-14-2010, 06:18 PM
I did purchase a Chadbourne Blockade Billy remarque. Call me addicted.

wizardsrainbow
08-14-2010, 06:19 PM
I must say that CD treats their business retail customers decently...I've had no trouble under the Betts name so far.

Pasiuk57
08-14-2010, 07:08 PM
Aside from SOD 1,2 being slow, they have treated me very fairly. Mindy is an asset for them.

Patrick
08-14-2010, 08:10 PM

That was some great local coverage for CD. Interesting, thanks for sharing, Jerome.

I barely even skim through CD's emails anymore. Does anybody remember when SOD, Vol. 2 S/L is supposed to ship?

frik
08-14-2010, 08:53 PM
I believe October. Wonder if the lettered edition will be shipped at that time.

And, for what it's worth, except for -sometimes- the delays, I'm very, very happy with CD. They do know how to make gorgeous books!

sk

lophophoras
08-15-2010, 04:26 AM
They do put together some great books.

SkippyD023
08-15-2010, 06:07 AM
Their books definitely are top notch.

I just don't like the fact that they announce a book years in advance of it being published and hold on to your money for all that time.

Merlin1958
08-15-2010, 07:41 AM
Their books definitely are top notch.

I just don't like the fact that they announce a book years in advance of it being published and hold on to your money for all that time.

Ditto

LostAlivE
08-15-2010, 10:30 AM
Yeah they have great books Top Notch. That is not the problem it is the business side of things that suck big time. If they could get that together wow they would be great and put out books on time and stop making excuses for them.
Mindy is a God send for CD if it wasn't for her heavens know what the place would be like. Most likely out of business.
God Bless Mindy and all she has to put up with.

frik
08-15-2010, 10:35 AM
Yeah! Go, mindy!! :clap:

sk

pixiedark76
08-16-2010, 02:17 PM
Mindy should be a Gunslinger!:shoot::rose: She Rules!:clap:

oy-the-brave
08-16-2010, 09:26 PM
I have kept my mouth shut and never said anything bad about CD in the past (even when they deserved it) but I am really pissed right now. I received my copy of Blockade Billy remarqued by Alex McVey today, here is the note I sent to CD:

"I recieved this book today and am VERY disappointed, I spent 120.00 (and waited 3 months) for a 25.00 dollar book with a remarque, what I got was a 2" X 2" doodle done in 10 minutes that cost 95.00, this is not what I expected or paid for."

Tito_Villa
08-17-2010, 12:10 AM
I have kept my mouth shut and never said anything bad about CD in the past (even when they deserved it) but I am really pissed right now. I received my copy of Blockade Billy remarqued by Alex McVey today, here is the note I sent to CD:

"I recieved this book today and am VERY disappointed, I spent 120.00 (and waited 3 months) for a 25.00 dollar book with a remarque, what I got was a 2" X 2" doodle done in 10 minutes that cost 95.00, this is not what I expected or paid for."

Thats not great, i would have expected a full page remarque for that price and the actual size of the pages in BB! You haven't got a picture have you?

Rahfa
08-17-2010, 05:22 AM
We sure are spoiled by what Dameron/Whelan/Maitz have done...but the Mark Geyer drawings in Green Mile were also pretty small...

Not to be on CD's side, but $95 - compared to the $350 that Maitz charged for the Desperation, or the Dameron remarques that sell for $800 - isn't totally unfair for a small sketch...for $95 I would not expect a full-page remarque.

But if I were in your position, I'd be disappointed too.

frik
08-17-2010, 07:11 AM
True - in this case size seems to matter. I got one of the Maitz remarques for $350.00 and the Dameron remarques are too steep for me.
$95.00 Is a lot of money, and I can understand your disappointment, but you do have a unique item for a reasonable price....
I really hope it'll grow on you.....

sk

Mr. Rabbit Trick
08-17-2010, 07:16 AM
I got my Lettered Secretary of Dreams today. Bought on the secondary (eBay) market for the issue price. I was the only bidder.

frik
08-17-2010, 07:41 AM
That's great! Especially to be able to get it for the issue price. Does owning this book make you eligible for the lettered vol. 2? Should be out in October.

sk

Mr. Rabbit Trick
08-17-2010, 08:19 AM
Does owning this book make you eligible for the lettered vol. 2? Should be out in October.
sk

Yes. Ownership was transferred.

Which October?

oy-the-brave
08-17-2010, 11:16 AM
We sure are spoiled by what Dameron/Whelan/Maitz have done...but the Mark Geyer drawings in Green Mile were also pretty small...

Not to be on CD's side, but $95 - compared to the $350 that Maitz charged for the Desperation, or the Dameron remarques that sell for $800 - isn't totally unfair for a small sketch...for $95 I would not expect a full-page remarque.

I was not expecting anything on the level of the Maitz or Dameron remarques and the Geyer mouse drawings are pretty detailed although small but I only paid 35.00 for the geyer remarqued books. The doodle I got is nice thats not my gripe, my problem it it's a doodle I have gotten drawings in graphic novels when having them signed for free that were similar in complexity. The drawing I got is a skull with a baseball cap and a baseball in its mouth.

Also look at the sample Glen Chadbourne remarque that are being offered for 20.00 less than I paid for the McVey, very detailed and much larger.

Ari_Racing
08-17-2010, 11:20 AM
Which one did McVey?

Can you show the ones you got, Dave?

Thanks!

wizardsrainbow
08-17-2010, 12:11 PM
I ordered a Chadbourne remarque. Still waiting for it.

Sam
08-17-2010, 03:47 PM
Was the remarque for SOD I or SOD II?

Merlin1958
08-17-2010, 07:27 PM

I was not expecting anything on the level of the Maitz or Dameron remarques and the Geyer mouse drawings are pretty detailed although small but I only paid 35.00 for the geyer remarqued books. The doodle I got is nice thats not my gripe, my problem it it's a doodle I have gotten drawings in graphic novels when having them signed for free that were similar in complexity. The drawing I got is a skull with a baseball cap and a baseball in its mouth.

Also look at the sample Glen Chadbourne remarque that are being offered for 20.00 less than I paid for the McVey, very detailed and much larger.

I paid a little more for the Geyer "mouse", but I thought it was pretty cool. Actually, I like it a lot, but that might have something to do with the Mouse and the Movie.

Hard to gage this stuff, as it's considered part of the "Art" world which can be pretty fickle. Trust me I know!!! LOL Depends on who's "Hot" and who's "Not" sometimes. Body of work, type of Art, notoriety, etc. It's hard to determine at any one time. Comes down to it, Art is only worth as much as the buyer is willing to pay. Know what I mean?

Patrick
08-17-2010, 08:54 PM

The Geyer mouse doodles are cool (I have one) but none of us paid practically a hundred dollars over the book price for the added value of the drawing.

Obviously I haven't seen your doodle, Dave, but based on your description, I agree that you should have received more for your $95 premium paid.

oy-the-brave
08-17-2010, 11:09 PM
I was pretty upset at first probably because after 3 months waiting I was pretty disappointed. I am still disappointed but Mindy responded quickly and offered a refund or a credit with 20.00 extra. I will keep it because I like the "doodle" and I will see if they offer a token partial refund.

oy-the-brave
08-17-2010, 11:12 PM
I ordered a Chadbourne remarque. Still waiting for it.

I have one by Chadbourne ordered as well, but I don't expect it for a month or two.

oy-the-brave
08-17-2010, 11:15 PM
Which one did McVey?

I am not sure what you are asking Ari, the remarque by Alex McVey that was offered 3 months ago is what I am talking about, the Glenn Chadbourne remarque was just offered a week or so ago I don't expect to see for a month or two.

Patrick
08-18-2010, 02:59 PM
I was pretty upset at first probably because after 3 months waiting I was pretty disappointed. I am still disappointed but Mindy responded quickly and offered a refund or a credit with 20.00 extra. I will keep it because I like the "doodle" and I will see if they offer a token partial refund.
I hope it works out to your satisfaction, Dave.

Room 217 Caretaker
08-18-2010, 03:19 PM

Mine looked like he did it in 30 seconds and on top of that, he didn't sign it.

I sent my copy back today for full refund. I'm very disappointed in McVey's efforts with this.

On top of this, since it was Alex's personal copies, he didn't get the baseball card so that doesn't come with it.

Mindy responded immediately and said no problem at all. Thank you Mindy

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Cutter
08-18-2010, 03:47 PM
I had a similar problem with buying a Lettered Edition of Neil Gaiman's M is for Magic. Gahan Wilson did a remarque, which was part of the promotion. It was a $350 book. I got a sketch of a bat - he probably did 8-10 lines to complete the bat and that was it. It had to have taken him 5 seconds to draw; no way did it take longer. But I was an idiot I never complained, I should have after seeing the posts here.

One thing of note, King fans have been spoiled (I agree with the above poster), a Remarque in definition is a doodle, and when offered that's what you get, just like the Geyer mouse. These full page illustrations that Whelan has done are full illustrations not remarques. King fans have been very lucky to have the illustrators do this in the past.

carlosdetweiller
08-18-2010, 04:05 PM
a Remarque in definition is a doodle,

Could you quote your source for this definition? I've hesitated to use the term when referring to little drawings done in books. The term "remarque" is limited to lithographs according to Webster's. I've always thought it was misused by most on this site.

Sam
08-18-2010, 04:30 PM
The remarques I have seen (besides the King book remarques of late) have ranged from artist to artist, and been everything from complex artwork that obviously took more than an hour to complete to simple doodles that took about ten seconds. It really has depended on the artist and what they prefer to do. For instance, in a convention signing line two hundred strong, no artist is going to do more than a quick sketch obviously, but I have seen those same artists have NO ONE standing in line and still do nothing more than a super quick ten second sketch and actually charge money for said sketch. One such artist was actually charging $25 for a simple ten line sketch. Yet I have seen some artists, Dave Dorman comes to mind, who would do a semi complex sketch for free if business was slow at that moment. If you let them hold the book for a while and give them a little cash for their time, some artists will do an awesome work of art for you, and that's at a convention.

My point to it all is that the size of the remarque is really dependant on the artist's desire at that moment.

oy-the-brave
08-18-2010, 04:47 PM
I do understand that the full page remarques we have seen are not the norm, remarques done on prints are normally small and simple. The problem here is I paid a full page price and got a quickie doodle. All other remarques offered so far by CD have been of the full page type and for a similar or even lesser price.

Mindy did tell me that they sent back the first batch because they were not happy with how they came out, and mine was of the second batch, and McVey said that was the best that he could do. I am waiting to hear back from Mindy about a partial refund.

Room 217 Caretaker
08-18-2010, 04:52 PM
But to charge $90 for a 30 second sketch is over the top.

I'm not comparing this remarque to my Whelan or Dameron full page added value drawing. However, I am comparing this to the detail of my $20 mouse in Green Mile by Geyer, my $30 tiger in Dead Zone by Bauman, etc. Yes, all small remarque but the detail is fantastic and both artist really cared about the detail.

My point to Mindy, Alex is better than that. I sent it back and put the $130 back into my account. Of course, this is all my opinion. We have collectors on this board that think having the artist put a picture in a book takes away from the value.

That's what makes this board so great. We all have ideas, like, dislikes, agrees, disagrees and at the end of the day, we are still excited about each others collections and newest editions.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Sam
08-18-2010, 05:11 PM
I do understand that the full page remarques we have seen are not the norm, remarques done on prints are normally small and simple. The problem here is I paid a full page price and got a quickie doodle. All other remarques offered so far by CD have been of the full page type and for a similar or even lesser price.

Mindy did tell me that they sent back the first batch because they were not happy with how they came out, and mine was of the second batch, and McVey said that was the best that he could do. I am waiting to hear back from Mindy about a partial refund.

I agree that you paid the price for a full page remarque. I would have been pissed too.

oy-the-brave
08-18-2010, 08:48 PM
Here is an Ebay auction for those of you dying to get a McVey remarque, and at a great price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Billy-Blockade-1st-Prt-Remarqued-SIGNED-Alex-McVey-/230512943003?pt=US_Fiction_Books

Here is the pic, very similar to mine, mine is a bit better but not by much.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/B0kK_sQB2k_KGrHqIOKi4EwvEtig4CBM_1m_DKe_3.jpg

Sam
08-18-2010, 09:02 PM
Oh my goodness!! That thing is grossly over-priced at $220. Still going on my watch list just to see if anyone bites. That remarque's worth maybe $30 plus the price of the book... maybe.

Brice
08-19-2010, 02:59 AM
Here is an Ebay auction for those of you dying to get a McVey remarque, and at a great price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Billy-Blockade-1st-Prt-Remarqued-SIGNED-Alex-McVey-/230512943003?pt=US_Fiction_Books

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/B0kK_sQB2k_KGrHqIOKi4EwvEtig4CBM_1m_DKe_3.jpg

No offense to Mr. McVey, but I agree. That one looks like he didn't try. It's mediocre at best, imo. I say this because I like his art and agree he's much better than this.

Ricky
08-19-2010, 06:31 AM
Wow...I can see why you were disappointed, oy. That is definitely on doodle level, not remarque (I disagree that doodle/remarque are synonyms).

If that's the best the artist could do, how did he manage to do illustrations for the book? :nope:

Ari_Racing
08-19-2010, 06:33 AM
Thanks for sharing, Dave!

Rahfa
08-19-2010, 06:37 AM
I think that's a slight step above the Geyer sketches I've seen...but at three times the price, so...

I'm not impressed, but I don't think it's a total ripoff either.

However, for the $95 it should be unique...if all the other sketches are essentially the same thing, then that's not cool...he should do something different for the money.

Cutter
08-19-2010, 06:38 AM
a Remarque in definition is a doodle,

Could you quote your source for this definition? I've hesitated to use the term when referring to little drawings done in books. The term "remarque" is limited to lithographs according to Webster's. I've always thought it was misused by most on this site.

Here's some examples:

http://www.toddlockwood.com/prints/#remarque

http://www.philaprintshop.com/diction.html#Remarque

http://www.answers.com/topic/remarque-2

http://www.stevejanderson.com/faq.html

http://www.terryisaacsart.com/isaac/Remarque/go

http://www.cartage.org.lb/en/themes/Arts/Graphicartists/generalities/Dictionary/R/Remarque.htm

Basically, they started off as little sketches to test the strength of the print in book publishing, and then people realized they might be worth something. Above are some examples used in book printing, artwork, and in books. They all tend to use the word "little". Hence the idea that remarques are little doodles or sketches and not full page illustrations.

But, as you can see from my examples, one can interpret remarque any way one chooses, really. But myself I tend to shy away from saying full page sketches are remarques, and refer to them as sketches and describe them as full page, half-page, etc.. But that's just me.

Cutter
08-19-2010, 06:43 AM

No offense to Mr. McVey, but I agree. That one looks like he didn't try. It's mediocre at best, imo. I say this because I like his art and agree he's much better than this.
I'm with Brice, it does look like he didn't even try. McVey can do a lot better than that.

carlosdetweiller
08-19-2010, 06:55 AM
Thanks for the links. With the exception of the first link (Todd Lockwood) all of the other definitions of the word remarque refer solely to art prints or lithographs. Not books. And all the dictionaries in my house define the word in terms of art printing.

I'm pretty notorious around my office as being the "grammar policeman." I've always felt words should be used properly if they are going to be used. And, while I realize that languages are constantly evolving, new words are constantly being added, etc., some consideration to proper definition and usage should be given.

You can call an apple an orange but that doesn't make it one. Even if you convince everyone on your block to call apples oranges once you travel to the next block and call an apple an orange you will get some pretty strange looks.

Merlin1958
08-19-2010, 08:21 AM
In fairness, I think its really hard to judge these things in any kind of a general way. Its Art and Art is a very, very gray area. You have to remember that ANYTHING an artist sketches or signs is to him/her their stock and trade. Their livelihood. Therefore, the only pricing guide you have is really what the market is willing to bear. As with the author, what may sell now for $25 may be worth $100 in ten years based upon many varying factors. Did the Artist die, did he go on to become more popular, etc etc. Remember, one man's ART is another man's GARBAGE.

I guess what I'm saying is that it comes down to each individual buyers opinion and willingness to pay. Beyond that it is not fair to try to evaluate what is a fair drawing for whatever price for a line of work. It's more or less like the increase in value assigned to a book without the authors signature, and one with it.

By the way, for what its worth, I think that BB "doodle" is pretty damn cool. I may look to get one in the future.

Edit: I have to be fair also and say that CD offering refunds if you don't like them is pretty darn good of them. Now if we could only get them delivering on schedule they could be a great little publisher!!!

ibeforej
08-19-2010, 09:22 AM
Another SOD II update!!!

Big Shipping & Production Update From Cemetery Dance!
New releases this fall from Stephen King, Peter Straub, Justin Cronin, William Peter Blatty, and many others, including a few big surprises!

Hi Folks!

Today we have some updates about our late summer and early fall publication/shipping schedule. These are just a few of the most asked about books we're publishing or have sold for other publishers, and there are a lot more titles that you'll see shipping before the year is over. This is easily going to be one of our most productive years since we opened for business in 1988!

The Secretary of Dreams (Volume Two) by Stephen King
The book is rolling at the printer and they currently expect to be shipping the book to our warehouse by the end of September, so we're planning on an October publication date.

We're also working with our slipcase and traycase manufacturer to keep everything moving smoothly on their end. They have received the "dummy book" from the printer and they're confirming the sizing and the material order this week. Their production time from when they finish this pre-production process is approximately six weeks.

(A dummy book is basically a blank test book that is sized exactly like the real book so the slipcase/traycase maker can be very precise in their specs while getting a head start on production. Without a dummy book, you actually have to wait for the real books to be completely printed before you can start on the slipcases and traycases.)

Due to the publicity from Blockade Billy by Stephen King, we now have THOUSANDS of "purchase orders" from the big booksellers and distributors for The Secretary of Dreams (Volume Two). If we wanted to, we could declare it Out of Print today... but we're going to fill ALL direct customer orders BEFORE we consider shipping to anyone else, and the odds are good we won't be filling any of those purchase orders, so if you want to guarantee yourself a copy, place your order today!

Riding the Bullet by Stephen King and Mick Garris -- Update From Lonely Road Books
"The book is rolling at the printer and they've given us a tentative shipping date of late September, but that is dependent on everything running smoothly on their end. Also, please remember that we need to get slipcases and traycases made before we can ship the books to you, but we're already working with our manufacturer on the design of those and they don't have to wait for a finished book to get started on production because the printer is able to make a 'dummy book' to give them exact sizing. We'll keep you updated as we have news, but we expect this title to ship in October."
We still have some copies of the Slipcased Collector's Gift Edition of Riding the Bullet available for preorder on our site, but as with The Secretary of Dreams (Volume Two), there are already MORE purchase orders for the book than the tiny print run, which will NOT be changing. If you want a copy, you need to order direct to guarantee you don't miss out!

Blockade Billy by Stephen King -- Update From Lonely Road Books
"We've received the original artwork page for the Lettered Edition and the printer has now started all of the pre-press work for both editions, including ordering the special paper stock, the leather for the Limited Edition, and the Japanese book cloth and another leather for the Lettered Edition. We should have more information about their production schedule soon.

We're still waiting to find out if we can have a 'dummy book' made to give our traycase manufacturer exact sizing for the cases. That might not be possible due to some of the special materials we're using, and it will be a major factor in the publication date, so we'll let you know as soon as we have a firm date from everyone involved."

The Passage by Justin Cronin
We're making great progress on our deluxe special edition of this fantastic book. Our cover designer has turned in the final dustjacket design of Tomislav Tikulin's beautiful cover artwork, which you can view on the product page.

We've also received the interior artwork from Jill Bauman and the book is undergoing one last proofread now. Our thanks go out to everyone who emailed us about the printing problems with the trade edition. We've confirmed our files don't have that issue.

The signature sheets are waiting at the author's home for when he can sign them. He's probably having the busiest summer of his life right now promoting the book, but we hope he'll have a free afternoon soon. We'll let you know when those sheets are safely back in our hands!

The Exorcist and Legion Special Edition by William Peter Blatty
This beautiful special edition is now at the printer and will be published before the end of the year.

Johnny Halloween: Tales of the Dark Season by Norman Partridge
This title is now at the printer and will be published in October.

Pork Pie Hat by Peter Straub
This title is now at the printer and will be published in October.

The Girl on the Glider by Brian Keene
This title is now at the printer and will be published this fall, along with Death Hunt on Ervoon by Ray Garton.

Just a few of the unannounced books that are rolling at the printer right now include titles by Christopher Golden, TM Wright, Thomas Tessier, Edward Lee, and an incredible novella collection featuring Brian Keene, Tim Lebbon, Steve Vernon, and Tim Curran. Details about these books will be announced when they are closer to their publication dates, but some of these are going to sell out very quickly!

And these are just the first of the surprises we have lined up for the fall and winter, and some of the announcements we have in the works are really going to blow away our collectors! As always, thanks for your continuing support!

Patrick
08-19-2010, 11:28 AM
... By the way, for what its worth, I think that BB "doodle" is pretty damn cool. I may look to get one in the future. ...
I agree that it is a neat doodle, just not worth $95.

Here is a question related to this discussion:

What percentage of the premium does a publisher keep and what percentage goes to the artist?

While one would hope the artist would keep in mind what the customer is paying, he (or she) may be more influenced by how much the artist is paid.

Sam
08-19-2010, 01:04 PM
... By the way, for what its worth, I think that BB "doodle" is pretty damn cool. I may look to get one in the future. ...

What percentage of the premium does a publisher keep and what percentage goes to the artist?

While one would hope the artist would keep in mind what the customer is paying, he (or she) may be more influenced by how much the artist is paid.

Which is why I would much prefer to purchase remarqued materials directly from the artist. If I pay a middle man (meaning the publisher) $150 for a remarqued book with the book costing $100, that means I have paid $50 for the remarque. What if I pay the artist the entire $50 (assuming the publisher gets a cut of the $50 extra the remarque costs)? Will I get a better remarque? Maybe, maybe not, but I know for certain that the artist will be getting all of the money I'm willing to pay for it and supporting said artist actually does mean something to me.

Merlin1958
08-19-2010, 08:12 PM

Which is why I would much prefer to purchase remarqued materials directly from the artist. If I pay a middle man (meaning the publisher) $150 for a remarqued book with the book costing $100, that means I have paid $50 for the remarque. What if I pay the artist the entire $50 (assuming the publisher gets a cut of the $50 extra the remarque costs)? Will I get a better remarque? Maybe, maybe not, but I know for certain that the artist will be getting all of the money I'm willing to pay for it and supporting said artist actually does mean something to me.

Problem is "Said Artist: is usaually not well known and is trying to get that way by Illustrating Author works ( and pay the rent). It's really hard to put a "fixed: price on this stuff.

I speak with some experience having purchased a lot of "Art" in my collection. Its all a matter of what you like and what you are willing to pay. If you're buying as an investment. Get outta this market!!!! LOL

Edit: As far as the breakdown of commissions, it shouldn't really matter. This stuff is not done for the "Joe the Plumber" collector, but tailored for the high end one. Sorry if that seems untoward, but its a reality. All collectible art is. I have an Artist Proof of "Sympathy for the Devil" done by Ron Wood of the Rolling Stones. The gallery says its worth $20,000, but I had an offer recently for 16K and said no. So whats the worth?

Buy what you like and you will generally be surprised at the rise in value. Try to buy this stuff as an investment? You will probably be disappointed.

My three beans, for what its worth. Unless of course you are trying to get the "Mona Lisa" LOL LOL

:cool::cool::cool:

oy-the-brave
08-19-2010, 09:44 PM
Mindy has responded to my partial refund request and will give me a 50% refund or a 75.00 credit, I am happy with that result.

Ralph did your "remarque" look similar to the one from the auction I posted?

Room 217 Caretaker
08-20-2010, 02:08 AM
Mindy has responded to my partial refund request and will give me a 50% refund or a 75.00 credit, I am happy with that result.

Ralph did your "remarque" look similar to the one from the auction I posted?

Yes, almost IDENTICAL but the one on Ebay had a signature :wtf: (Alex forgot to sign my copy). If it wasn't for the missing signature I would have worked out something similar with Mindy (who by the way has been a professional stand up person over this).

Apparently Alex has been difficult to deal with since they asked him to redo the remarques. I can't imagine what the first set looked like if this was the best he could do.

I don't think this young man understands the true opportunity that CD gave him with the whole BB project. All of a sudden everyone was looking up information to see who this guy is including me.

One thing for sure, I think he will look back on this project and say oh crap. Where did everyone go? Maybe I should have taken better care of my clients. Back to being a starving artist Alex.

On a side note: I'm not that disappointed for having to send the book back, I have one of the BB originals by Alex on the way to me. :orely: I hope it's signed :wtf:

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Patrick
08-20-2010, 10:46 PM
Good luck, Ralph.

Ari_Racing
08-25-2010, 04:32 PM
When editions are sold out...

http://cgi.ebay.com/SECRETARY-DREAMS-VOL-1-STEPHEN-KING-/170530092717?pt=US_Fiction_Books

Mr. Rabbit Trick
08-25-2010, 10:33 PM
Not signed by king, so I'm not interested.

Next week we'll be sending SHIVERS 6 to the printer and it contains a surprise contribution: THE CRATE by Stephen King, his long lost NOVELLA written in the late 1970s that hasn't seen print in over 30 years and has never been in one of his collections!
This is classic, old fashioned Stephen King and 99.9% of his fans don't even know this novella exists... but later this year it'll be readily available to ALL readers for the first-time ever in SHIVERS 6, which will be published as an affordable trade paperback!
The reason we're emailing you today, though, is because SHIVERS 6 will also published as a Limited Edition Hardcover and a Deluxe Traycased Lettered Edition Hardcover. These two very limited editions will be signed by the editor and we think they're going to sell out FAST because of the high demand for Limited Editions featuring King's work. (We've seen it first-hand many times over the years!)
To thank you for your past support, we wanted to give you first shot at ordering any or all of the three editions of SHIVERS 6 before the general public since many of our recent Limited Editions have sold out within hours or days of being announced.
We're officially announcing SHIVERS 6 to our mailing list of 33,000 collectors tomorrow, so if you want one of the Special Limited Edition copies, don't wait around!
Here is your SECRET link to place your order while supplies last:
http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/chizmar15
Thank you for your support of Cemetery Dance Publications!

shnnrc01
08-25-2010, 11:55 PM
nope,me neither.

Bev Vincent
08-26-2010, 02:13 AM
I have a story in Shivers 6, too.

Ari_Racing
08-26-2010, 03:07 AM
I ordered one of the HC ed. :)

lophophoras
08-26-2010, 03:27 AM
I have a story in Shivers 6, too.

Very cool Bev!

:clap:

I ordered a hardcover.

jhanic
08-26-2010, 03:57 AM
I ordered a trade paperback and a hardcover. The Crate has been one of my more favorite stories. It has been reprinted a number of times, though not in any of King's collections, as CD said. I'm glad Bev has a story in it.

John

SkippyD023
08-26-2010, 03:58 AM
Is this picture from a PAST issue from the CD mag, or is it an upcomming one?
(and therefore, means that the extract will be from FULL DARK, NO STARS ?

http://www.cemeterydance.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/x_bb071610.gif

http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/x_bb071610 (via their newsletter)

They have this on the web site now and it is an excerpt from Blockade Billy. Just a little behind schedule....

SkippyD023
08-26-2010, 04:02 AM
Can anyone that has one of the UTD slipcases tel me how/where the box of cards get stored. I have seen the photos but do not see where the cards are kept. Were there two separate slipcases, one for the trade edition an done for the collectors edition?

frik
08-26-2010, 05:59 AM
I ordered one of the HC ed. :)

So did I!

sk

carlosdetweiller
08-26-2010, 06:03 AM
Well, I got a copy of the lettered SOD I today at issue price of $1500 + shipping. I'm not really impressed with it. There are pictures posted by other collectors earlier in this thread.

It's only got leather (lambskin) on the spine and corners. The rest of the front and back boards look like leather in the pictures but are actually "brown Skivertex Sanigal." WTF? I have no idea what this is but I think it is synthetic. It doesn't smell like leather.

Sigh!

Niels
08-26-2010, 06:16 AM
Skivertex®

European inspired, premium grade, simulated leather covering material
Latex-saturated covering material available in 318 standard offerings. An industry standard for luxury and decorative packaging applications.

carlosdetweiller
08-26-2010, 06:23 AM
Skivertex®

Latex-saturated covering material available in 318 standard offerings. An industry standard for luxury and decorative packaging applications.

Sweet! Gotta love the financial corners they are cutting to put out a $1500 book.

And the "burnt-orange baroque satin lining"? I've felt better material on the cookie bouquets from The Great American Cookie Co.

biomieg
08-26-2010, 06:28 AM
Bob, you do not sound too happy about this book. Are you keeping it or are you considering putting it on the market again?

carlosdetweiller
08-26-2010, 06:31 AM
Bob, you do not sound too happy about this book. Are you keeping it or are you considering putting it on the market again?

I'm a hopeless completist. I'm putting in back in the shipping box and sticking it in the back of my closet, along with the Whitney edition of MY PRETTY PONY and the oversized King art book.

biomieg
08-26-2010, 06:35 AM
I understand. I do feel like you're doing KNOWING DARKNESS a bit of injustice though (I assume that's the art book you mentioned). It's a piece of art in itself and it would fit very nicely upright on top of one of your lower stacks of bookcases (I know, there's other art hanging on the walls but just for the general idea). I have my slipcased version standing on a side table and works perfectly. I'm sure there are better options, like Dolso's custom-built cabinet.

But, ultimately it's your decision of course.

carlosdetweiller
08-26-2010, 06:48 AM
I'm not saying the book isn't a nice book. Not at all. It's just that after 25 years of book collecting I have a pretty good idea what a $1500 new book should be. I think they could have made a VERY nice profit by charging $750 for this one.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
08-26-2010, 07:07 AM
I'm putting in back in the shipping box and sticking it in the back of my closet, along with the Whitney edition of MY PRETTY PONY and the oversized King art book.

Exactly where mine is. Never to see the light of day again.

herbertwest
08-26-2010, 08:02 AM
Is this picture from a PAST issue from the CD mag, or is it an upcomming one?
(and therefore, means that the extract will be from FULL DARK, NO STARS ?

http://www.cemeterydance.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/x_bb071610.gif

http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/x_bb071610 (via their newsletter)

They have this on the web site now and it is an excerpt from Blockade Billy. Just a little behind schedule....

Thanks for the answer :-)

Anyone GOT it or WILL get it?

Cutter
08-26-2010, 10:12 AM
Skivertex®

Cemetery Dance and Subterranean Press have been using this material and calling a said book leatherbound for a long time. Any of the Sub Press lettered Bradbury books come to mind (at $750 a pop they made a killing) and the Lonely Roads book Poe also comes to mind as using this fake leather.

Sadly the number of publishers who use real leather is almost nill

ur2ndbiggestfan
08-26-2010, 12:58 PM
I think the BOVINE ANTI-SUFFERANCE UNION is behind this.

pixiedark76
08-26-2010, 01:18 PM
I'm putting in back in the shipping box and sticking it in the back of my closet, along with the Whitney edition of MY PRETTY PONY and the oversized King art book.

Exactly where mine is. Never to see the light of day again.

If you guys hate your books so much and put them in the back of your closet, you could always send them to me! :P:P I (unlike some people) am not a book snob and appreciate books no matter what they are made of! I don't care if a book is an expensive lettered edition or tray-cased or whatever! I love books for the story and how they are written.

Yes I do collect books, but I don't have (can't afford!!) "lettered" editions costing $1,500. I have a hard enough time affording the $75.00 gift editions. I would DIE for any copy of My Pretty Pony!:drool:
Sadly almost any decent copy I find on the web is way out of my price range. I just can't buy any and every limited edition book that comes along, I have to save and struggle to get my books. And you can bet I dam well appreciate every book I get! :P

Brice
08-26-2010, 04:20 PM

I'm a hopeless completist. I'm putting in back in the shipping box and sticking it in the back of my closet, along with the Whitney edition of MY PRETTY PONY and the oversized King art book.

I've heard rumors that Bob has sold a book or two before, but I can't think of one example of this happening. :lol:

carlosdetweiller
08-26-2010, 05:53 PM
I've heard rumors that Bob has sold a book or two before, but I can't think of one example of this happening. :lol:

It's been a while but it has been known to happen.

e_taylor
08-27-2010, 05:35 AM

I guess I'm part of the urban legend then!

I got a few of his extra PC copies of the Dark Tower series a few years back!

Ari_Racing
08-27-2010, 05:38 AM
Bob, are you talking about SOD Lettered or Knowing Darkness (when you mentioned the cost)?

Mr. Rabbit Trick
08-27-2010, 05:40 AM
Both make good substitutes for drywall (maybe a bit pricey though) :)

carlosdetweiller
08-27-2010, 06:02 AM
Bob, are you talking about SOD Lettered or Knowing Darkness (when you mentioned the cost)?

I paid $1500 + shipping for SOD 1 lettered. That is the only book where I can recall mentioning cost.

jhanic
08-27-2010, 12:12 PM
Bev Vincent posted this CD shipping schedule on his site today:

THE SECRETARY OF DREAMS (VOLUME 2) from Cemetery Dance Publications will begin shipping on October 15, 2010.

The RIDING THE BULLET Special Edition Double from Lonely Road Books will begin shipping on October 25, 2010.

BLOCKADE BILLY (signed Limited Edition) from Lonely Road Books will begin shipping in early November.

SHIVERS 6 edited by Richard Chizmar, featuring THE CRATE by Stephen King, will be published by Cemetery Dance Publications in December 2010.

If they can meet this, it looks like it will be a nice fourth quarter!

John

frik
08-28-2010, 12:26 AM
That's great! I ordered all of these, plus we'll be getting the new King (limited editions, maybe??), some great DVD/BD collections (Karloff's Thriller!!), some great movie releases (new BJS appearance...:rock:)plus some excellent new non-King books (the new Stephen Donaldson..).
A nice fourth quarter indeed!

sk

Randall Flagg
08-28-2010, 06:13 AM
That is encouraging.

Cutter
08-28-2010, 09:01 AM
That's great! I ordered all of these, plus we'll be getting the new King (limited editions, maybe??), some great DVD/BD collections (Karloff's Thriller!!), some great movie releases (new BJS appearance...:rock:)plus some excellent new non-King books (the new Stephen Donaldson..).

sk
Nice, another Donaldson fan. I've been a fan of his works since reading him as a teen back in the early 80's and have been a fan since (Oddly, the same with King).

And yea I can't wait for the new book!

tippy4
08-28-2010, 09:11 AM
Wow! I am encouaraged and amazed that the Stephen King Newsletter I just received has actual ship dates for three Cemetery Dance/Lonely Road books (Blockade Billy, Riding the Bullet, and SOD2).

I would bet King's people probably admonished CD and said "look, if we are going to put these dates in our newsletter, than you better hold to them". And I bet they will so they keep getting all this free (I assume) advertising.

CD's sales have probably doubled since King gave them Blockade Billy, and now they are giving them these plugs in their newsletter too!

And if their sales ARE increasing, then I might actually get some of the other books I have on order like Legacies and Big Book of Necon (there are more...but those are the two that come to mind).

Patrick
08-28-2010, 08:16 PM
When I realized the book would have stories by King. Straub and Vincent the other day, I pre-ordered the hardcover Limited edition of SHIVERS VI. Hey, it was only $40.

It looks like CD has sold out of both the Lettered and the Limited editions and are down to only the trade paperback.

frik
08-28-2010, 10:04 PM

sk
Nice, another Donaldson fan. I've been a fan of his works since reading him as a teen back in the early 80's and have been a fan since (Oddly, the same with King).

And yea I can't wait for the new book!

A bit off-topic (sorry, folks), but as I will only start reading the third Thomas Covenant series when the final book is released (2013) - how good is it? (assuming you have read the first two books..)

Maybe Dutch Hill is a better place to answer this question.

sk

Mr. Rabbit Trick
08-29-2010, 12:46 AM
It looks like CD has sold out of both the Lettered and the Limited editions and are down to only the trade paperback.

Good. Now they will have plenty money to complete the publication of SoD II by October 15th.

Thanks to all who bought this. :)

herbertwest
08-29-2010, 02:29 AM
Someone from Edinburgh sells a SOD2 ARC :
http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-SECRETARY-DREAMS-VOLUME-2-Advance-Proof-/370425363284

jhanic
08-29-2010, 03:39 AM
Someone from Edinburgh sells a SOD2 ARC :
http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-SECRETARY-DREAMS-VOLUME-2-Advance-Proof-/370425363284

The seller said he got this as part of one of CD's Grab Bags.

John

biomieg
08-29-2010, 03:58 AM
If he did, then I'm wondering how scarce this ARC is/will be.

Patrick
08-29-2010, 07:36 AM

Good. Now they will have plenty money to complete the publication of SoD II by October 15th.

Thanks to all who bought this. :)
Ha! I figure BLOCKADE BILLY must have refilled their coffers. But for only $40, SHIVERS VI was a risk (timing-of-eventual-delivery risk, that is) that I decided I was willing to take.

tippy4
08-29-2010, 02:00 PM
Yeah... I ordered a $40 limited yesterday....guess I got in just under the wire.

Kinda feels like King is keeping an eye on them now.

ibeforej
08-29-2010, 07:02 PM
The seller said he got this as part of one of CD's Grab Bags.

John

I bought that same grab bag back in Oct 2007- hopefully my ARC will be in soon too.

alexmcvey
08-30-2010, 12:00 AM
Dear Cemetery Dance customers,
I'm hearing CD has felt obliged to tell customers that after 6 years of illustrating their products, I'm “difficult to work with”, so I thought I would give a few details about my experience with the project, and play some small part in educating the customers about exactly what role I had.
I decided to look around, read customer comments, and have only just now learned that some or all of these were marketed as “artist *personal* copies” or “personal *artist* copies” and I know I must be one of the newest people to discover this. If I'm incorrect about this, please let me know.
I was approached in December about doing interior illustrations for Blockade Billy by Stephen King. I was asked if I could do 10+ interior illustrations in around a month. It seemed like a project that couldn't be done in such time, but couldn't be refused. When I thought this was impossible to do, while maintaining the level of quality I prefer, I talked them down to around eight illustrations. I did my best within the time allowed, and turned them in when I was finished. Soon they asked me for around three more illustrations in a few weeks, and I accepted and delivered the artwork. No complaints were ever made from CD about the quality of this artwork.
I was asked to remarque copies of the book for their special collectors. I believe I was shipped about 100 books, I remarqued them, and shipped them back. That is the extent that these were ever artist personal copies.
I was paid $8.00 per remarque.
When they received the remarques, Mindy emailed me, saying there may have been a miscommunication about the level of detail and variety they were expecting, and they wanted me to do them again. After looking at correspondence, I said there indeed must have been a miscommunication at some point, and I told them that I would be willing to revamp the existing remarques for free, but they preferred sending new books for new remarques. Naturally, I told them if they wanted me to do remarques with so much detail, I would need more money than $8 a piece. I don't recall them acknowledging my point, discussing extra money, or sending me another $8 per remarque, they just shipped me 75 more books. I drew these 75 more, all of them for free, and sent them back. Don't ask me why, and of course I have no idea what has or will become of those first copies. I'm assuming they were destroyed or given away because I was told shipping those to the customers in that state would be a bad idea.

Correspondence with CD continued about this and other projects until I received the “heads up” from Mindy on Friday (I'll follow up on that later).

At the end of the day, I was paid for remarquing boxes of books for $8 a book. I hope no customer anywhere has the impression these were sold from some stash of personal copies I had. In fact, I've only received two personal copies to date, and only last week I'd emailed CD for the 3rd or 4th time about when I can finally expect the rest of my contributor copies.

I know that customers wouldn't normally feel disgruntled over an $8 remarque unless they feel they might've paid $95 for it. Unfortunately, I have no part in the pricing or marketing of any book. I was paid, and the publisher could've taken any number of paths if they felt they were about to market and sell a product containing what they saw as unacceptable work, particularly on a Stephen King book, and especially if that selling point might revolve around said unacceptable work.
Things would make a lot more sense if I'd been paid $80 for a remarque and delivered this $8 one. I hope seasoned customers can see how unlikely it is that I would do 100 remarques, and do 75 more for free, just so I can somehow make out like a bandit with my measly $8 remarques. Of course, redoing 75 of them almost negates the $8 per remarque I'd originally made in the first place. I know that I, as a working illustrator, would hardly turn down the chance for the extra money and pride of doing 8-inch tall original drawings on every copy of Stephen King's Blockade Billy if the pay was within reason. The slightest glance at my portfolio, www.alexmcvey.com, will show I'm not someone afraid of pouring hours into underpaid photorealistic ink drawing.

I received an email from Mindy on Friday morning, giving me the heads up that customers are “really up in arms” over the remarques I did for Blockade Billy. She wanted to inform me, since my “other publishers are obviously going to hear about it, from the customers we share, etc., and we didn't want you to be surprised.”
I'm sure at one point there was a miscommunication, but I did not build up 90 clients in 7 years by being “difficult to work with."
I think I heard somewhere that there would be art prints that would come with such & such edition of Blockade Billy. If this is true, I'm assuming these must be prints of original material, or perhaps, prints of Glen's cover, because I don't think I've been asked a question about it. Maybe there's a miscommunication there as well.

Best to all. The first goal I had when I became an illustrator was to hope for the chance to illustrate King material. I've done work for several King-related titles over the years, but this was the first project where I got the chance to do art for an original King work. Personally, it affects my sleep knowing there are any number of fans and customers out there thinking I've done something in bad faith against them. Maybe I'm in the minority on this, but this cannot stand. It's not right, and if I owe an apology, it's because I was ever naive enough to think, with all I know of them, that I would ever feel properly represented by Cemetery Dance Publications. I've been a life-long fan of King like a lot of you, and this is heartbreaking for me.
Maybe, a customer would've done better to send me their $25 book and give me $8 for a remarque. Who knows.
I hope truth does have a ring to it.

Best,
Alex McVey

oy-the-brave
08-30-2010, 12:20 AM
Alex I feel I should comment as I started the conversation here, first off thank you for taking your time to explain the situation.

My complaint about the remarque was always about the misrepresentation about what I was purchasing as I stated I like my drawing and for the price you were paid it was a fair deal (and ultimately the 50.00 it wound up costing me I am happy with). Obviously CD charged a price that had me expecting something more detailed and also implied there was just a limited number of remarqued books being done certainly not 100.

I am sorry you have been maligned by CD over this but you have my respect for telling your side here. After all is said and done I am glad I got the remarque I enjoyed your art for the book a lot and was a fan of previous book work as well, Dave.

Patrick
08-30-2010, 12:28 AM

Boy, do I feel vindicated in asking this question.

Alex, I think you do fine work and I believe the people that bought expensive copies of BB with your drawings think highly of your talent as well. I would pay more than $8 for the drawings I've seen in people's copies of BB and they probably would too. However based on what you are saying, it does sound like you are being made the fall guy. You get paid $8 and the publishers charges a $95 premium, so...wow, you are making less than 10% there. No wonder these customers were disappointed, they weren't paying the artist much of anything.

This is truly disappointing to hear about Cemetery Dance further cementing its shaky reputation.

Pasiuk57
08-30-2010, 03:35 AM
Alex
thanks for clearing the air and describing exactly what happened.
As usually is the case, there is two sides to every story.
Get some sleep!

Tito_Villa
08-30-2010, 04:50 AM
I'm very sorry to hear how you have been treated Alex!

Randall Flagg
08-30-2010, 05:26 AM
Cemetery Dance finals seems to be getting their act together, and now we hear of this. :cry:

mdminmin
08-30-2010, 08:12 AM
Hello everyone.

Mindy from Cemetery Dance here. I have NEVER posted on a message board in regard to work before but I felt the need to personally reply here because of how important this. This will be my first time AND my last time posting on any message board... it's just not my thing and I prefer to email with people directly. There are three sides to every story. We're not going to discuss this publicly but suffice to say there are gross inaccuracies in Alex's report, including financial numbers. There is a reason at least one other major small press publisher won't deal with Alex. We found out the hard way. Any further discussion will take place privately.

Thank you for your time... ~MINDY, Production Manager, Cemetery Dance Publications

alexmcvey
08-30-2010, 08:30 AM
I've never posted on a message board about issues like this, either. As far as inaccuracies in financial numbers, all I know is what I was paid per remarque and what the customers on this board have said they paid for the book. I've asked to be corrected if I'm wrong.
There definitely is at least one publisher I won't be dealing with, you're right about that, and I feel no need for further discussion, publicly or privately.

Alex

e_taylor
08-30-2010, 09:02 AM
Of all things related to CD's issues, past and present - this seems like an odd time to break your no message board rules. (Where is In Laymon's Terms? Legacies? etc, etc)

Whether or not you think Alex has misrepresented the situation, one would think the publisher should "take the high road" and not stoop to the level of publicly refuting arguments with vague attacks against the person, as opposed to the issues at hand.

Can't say I'm surprised though, CD has always been a class act.

Lenny
08-30-2010, 09:28 AM
WOW:scared:

Here's my two cents.

CD commissioned remarqued books from the artist. CD excepted the remarqued books from the artist. The books are a product of CD. CD sold the book remarqued books for a premium price. It is CD's responsibilty the customers are not happy. The artist did not say here is a premium remarqued book at a premium price.

I don't care what the contract or expectations where by CD with the artist. The artist turned in his art in the books and CD excepted them and sold them. This is 100% CD's responsibilty.

Cloysterpete
08-30-2010, 09:28 AM
Hello everyone.

Mindy from Cemetery Dance here. I have NEVER posted on a message board in regard to work before but I felt the need to personally reply here because of how important this. This will be my first time AND my last time posting on any message board... it's just not my thing and I prefer to email with people directly. There are three sides to every story. We're not going to discuss this publicly but suffice to say there are gross inaccuracies in Alex's report, including financial numbers. There is a reason at least one other major small press publisher won't deal with Alex. We found out the hard way. Any further discussion will take place privately.

Thank you for your time... ~MINDY, Production Manager, Cemetery Dance Publications

But everyone week someone online be it a customer, an author, an artist mentions CD shady practices....I mean literally every-week there's something.

You don't earn a dodgy reputation like CD has by being a first class publisher.

Brice
08-30-2010, 09:41 AM
...which is of course why she isn't gonna' discuss this publicly beyond making vague references to other difficulties with Alex.

Cutter
08-30-2010, 01:20 PM
But everyone week someone online be it a customer, an author, an artist mentions CD shady practices....I mean literally every-week there's something.

On this forum yes, on some other forums you'd be surprised at how happy people are with CD. Go over to horror drive-in.com and see the 100+ page thread on CD that praises the company.

CD with all its past problems still produces the best horror authors and stories in the business.

btw, I do feel bad about Alex, I'm sorry to hear about this.

Rahfa
08-30-2010, 04:10 PM
Funny...Brian Freeman posts on horrordrive-in.com.

A lot of those posts deal with other books that have been published in a semi-timely fashion...I'll say this, though...a lot of the posters are waaaaay too happy for occasional posts by Freeman that aren't much more than an extension of the email newsletter.

Cutter
08-30-2010, 06:15 PM
Funny...Brian Freeman posts on horrordrive-in.com.

A lot of those posts deal with other books that have been published in a semi-timely fashion...I'll say this, though...a lot of the posters are waaaaay too happy for occasional posts by Freeman that aren't much more than an extension of the email newsletter.
Actually he does a lot of other stuff that just post newsletter stuff. He opened a pre-order for those forum members only, and when I posted "crap I was out of money" he emailed me and told me to send him an email when I had the cash. I did and now have the book pre-ordered. The book still hasn't been announced yet. This is one of at least 10 examples where CD has been very cool to me in the past 8-10 years. You'd be surprised at some of the cool things CD will do for its customers that I haven't seen other small presses do.

This is why you've seen me bash them over the past few years because they deserved it, by basically falling off the planet, but I also praise them when they do good, like they have this year. Sure Legacies and In Laymon's Terms are laughable but they are down to under 10 pre-orders left to catch up on, and there are plans for many of those to be completed before the year is up (SOD2 for example). They were about 30 books behind last year. They are getting their shit together and I'll acknowledge it rather than keep on bashing them like everyone else seems to like to do because frankly I like their books a lot, especially with all the King stuff they do, so I want them to succeed. (btw, I am staying out of the McVey issue, so I'm not counting that).

Rahfa
08-30-2010, 06:58 PM
So he held a book for you in lieu of cash? I mean, yeah, that's cool and all...but all he did was let you delay sending payment for a book that they haven't actually sent you yet.

I want them to succeed too, and they seem to have gotten back on track what with the Blockade Billy cash influx and all....but I'm not giving them any compliments...all they're doing is providing the product they promised and took money for long ago.

As for the McVey issue...I haven't formed an opinion yet, but I do appreciate McVey and Mindy addressing it.

Patrick
08-30-2010, 09:04 PM
I would like to thank Mindy for stopping by, and I welcome her participation whether as a representative of her employer or simply as someone sharing their enthusiasm for, and opinions on, the same books that we all do. Welcome, Mindy.

frik
08-30-2010, 09:43 PM
I would like to thank Mindy for stopping by, and I welcome her participation whether as a representative of her employer or simply as someone sharing their enthusiasm for, and opinions on, the same books that we all do. Welcome, Mindy.

ditto!

sk