PDA

View Full Version : Cemetery Dance discussion thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90

The Library Policeman
05-14-2013, 04:11 PM
So how long until the next SK book announcement? LOL

2017 (my wallet says) :)

Ben Mears
05-14-2013, 04:17 PM

Four volume, one slipcase Different Seasons up next with two volume of The Dead Zone & original manuscript on deck!

The Library Policeman
05-14-2013, 04:22 PM

Four volume, one slipcase Different Seasons up next with two volume of The Dead Zone & original manuscript on deck!

In 2017. right? :)

barlow
05-14-2013, 04:57 PM
Brian, are the dust jackets wraparound or are the images of an elongated front panel?

Ken

Randall Flagg
05-14-2013, 05:03 PM
Based upon 2013 events, 20 or 30 days...

Brian James Freeman
05-14-2013, 05:04 PM
Brian, are the dust jackets wraparound or are the images of an elongated front panel?

Ken

Those are just the front covers -- the books will be 8.5 inches wide by 5.5 inches high. There is artwork continued onto the back of the trade editions, though!

Brian

Jimimck
05-14-2013, 05:33 PM

I know right?

I'm about a fifth of the way through Bag of Bones and so am starting to wonder how much stuff he has "ready" to publish any time he wants!

mcdonaldj
05-14-2013, 06:01 PM

I know right?

I'm about a fifth of the way through Bag of Bones and so am starting to wonder how much stuff he has "ready" to publish any time he wants!

I envy your reading Bag of Bones for the 1st time. One of my favorite recent (relatively) S.K. novels by far.

shaq
05-15-2013, 01:10 AM
Remarques.

So. Turning remarques around on its head, a full page, hand written poem by Stephen King himself!

Now that would be awesome!

Dan
05-15-2013, 03:36 AM
An answer by Brian Freeman in the Joyland thread made think of this. When did Chadbourne have time to do any art for this project. Seems like all he did was draw stuff for Badpenny for the last 6 months.

Roseannebarr
05-15-2013, 05:05 AM
Thank YOU Cemetery DAnce and Brian Freeman!!!! I didnt win the contest, but they are sending me an awesome consolation prize!!!

bdwyer19
05-15-2013, 05:08 AM
Thank YOU Cemetery DAnce and Brian Freeman!!!! I didnt win the contest, but they are sending me an awesome consolation prize!!!

Which one did you go with?

Brian James Freeman
05-15-2013, 05:20 AM
An answer by Brian Freeman in the Joyland thread made think of this. When did Chadbourne have time to do any art for this project. Seems like all he did was draw stuff for Badpenny for the last 6 months.

Glenn hasn't slept since December, and we need him to stay awake for a few more weeks because he has to finish the original drawings for the Lettered Editions before the printer needs them to hand tip them in! :)

Brian James Freeman
05-15-2013, 05:21 AM

You are welcome! I will confirm everyone's emails today as the orders are entered. Thanks again for playing along!

Brian James Freeman
05-15-2013, 05:23 AM
Ken asked in the Joyland thread for a little inside look at how a book like The Dark Man happens, and I replied that the short answer to that is:

King approves the general ideas, core concepts, artists, etc.

For The Dark Man, starting back in January, Glenn went nuts on the artwork with a little bit of direction from us based on what we were hoping to do with the book. He also filled in a few gaps during the design phase. (The very last pieces, which I love but will save as a little surprise for when folks read the book, arrived over this past weekend.)

Kate handles all of the design based on ideas and concepts from our production meetings. In this case, there was a very specific rhythm to the poem that we wanted to convey as Glenn's artwork turned it into a kind of mixed media story.

King sees sketches and receives updates at all stages of the process and he gets final approval over everything.

Brian

Bad Penny
05-15-2013, 06:04 AM

He was let off the chain on occasion :smile:

The Library Policeman
05-15-2013, 06:08 AM

He was let off the chain on occasion :smile:

Thanks for letting Mr Chadbourne do this project, Grant. :lol:

mistercrowley
05-15-2013, 06:11 AM
I won! Thank you Brian. I emailed you back my choice

becca69
05-15-2013, 06:12 AM

Me too. Thank you Brian and Cemetery Dance! Can't wait to receive my prize :excited:

bdwyer19
05-15-2013, 06:19 AM

Me too. Thank you Brian and Cemetery Dance! Can't wait to receive my prize :excited:

Great contest Brian! Excited to get my consolation prize!

The Library Policeman
05-15-2013, 06:20 AM
Well done guys.

Good stuff Brian :)

barlow
05-15-2013, 08:31 AM

Me too thanks Brian! Is it ok to ask what choice everyone picked?

WeDealInLead
05-15-2013, 08:36 AM
Is this a different contest from the one where you signed up for a mailing list?

Ari_Racing
05-15-2013, 08:41 AM

What did you win? :) Congratulations!

And the consolation prizes are awesome! THANKS!

becca69
05-15-2013, 08:59 AM
I picked B!

Brian James Freeman
05-15-2013, 09:06 AM

Me too thanks Brian! Is it ok to ask what choice everyone picked?

Not a problem at all!

Ben Staad
05-15-2013, 09:09 AM
Is this a different contest from the one where you signed up for a mailing list?

Maybe this is where Brian asked people to email him with their guess as to what the project would be?

Brian James Freeman

Yes, this was the "Brian wanted to see what people were guessing the announcement would be" contest that was very much off the cuff. I asked folks on here and our forum, I think, to email me their ideas on Monday. Nothing formal.

The mailing list contest winners will be contacted in the next few days and then announced either on Friday or Monday, depending on when we hear back and confirm they're real people and not bots, etc. :) I just need a day or two to sort through a lot of announcement related business and then I can grab the mailing list and the random number generator app and pick some winners!

Brian

Brian James Freeman

Maybe this is where Brian asked people to email him with their guess as to what the project would be?

Yep, you nailed it.

bdwyer19
05-15-2013, 09:21 AM

Yep... that's the contest. Brian offered very cool consolation prizes to those who guessed, but guessed wrong.

EDIT: Oops, didn't see that Brian already answered the question.

mistercrowley
05-15-2013, 09:21 AM
I picked the slipcased hardcover

herbertwest
05-15-2013, 09:54 AM
What did you win? :) Congratulations!
And the consolation prizes are awesome! THANKS!

+1!

Brice
05-15-2013, 10:08 AM
Wait! Ari got a consolation prize instead of the main prize? You're slipping, buddy!

becca69
05-15-2013, 10:35 AM
Hmmm, I picked an Orange Cover Review copy with slipcase edition cover art... I wonder if there were different choices for the consolation prizes? My other choice was the regular Trade edition.

barlow
05-15-2013, 10:36 AM

Yep... that's the contest. Brian offered very cool consolation prizes to those who guessed, but guessed wrong.

EDIT: Oops, didn't see that Brian already answered the question.

I guessed correctly went with option B.

barlow
05-15-2013, 10:40 AM
Hmmm, I picked an Orange Cover Review copy with slipcase edition cover art... I wonder if there were different choices for the consolation prizes? My other choice was the regular Trade edition.

Hey Becca, what was your guess? I guessed correctly and the option was slipcased trade edition or the blue proof of the slipcased edition.

Ken

The Library Policeman
05-15-2013, 10:52 AM
Brian, I guessed the project was Walkin' Dude related in this very thread. What do I win?

Not for guessing or anything, just for the use of the term "Walkin' Dude Related". :ninja:

bdwyer19
05-15-2013, 10:55 AM

I picked the review copy as well, over the trade edition. Great consolation prize!

Brice
05-15-2013, 10:58 AM
Sounds like pretty awesome prizes.

becca69
05-15-2013, 11:20 AM

Hey Becca, what was your guess? I guessed correctly and the option was slipcased trade edition or the blue proof of the slipcased edition.

Ken

I guessed incorrectly and got a choice of the orange review copy or the trade edition.

BTW - I guessed it had something to do with The Ghost Brothers of Darkland County - since Brian said it was an unusual project.

Brian James Freeman
05-15-2013, 11:58 AM

Those who guessed correctly were given two choices and those who guessed incorrectly were given two other choices. :)

Brian

barlow
05-15-2013, 12:19 PM

Those who guessed correctly were given two choices and those who guessed incorrectly were given two other choices. :)

Brian

That is the best type of contest, one where everyone gets something cool!

Brian James Freeman
05-15-2013, 12:26 PM

Yeah, I didn't want to announce that up front, but I had been hoping to be able to give everyone something.

Brian

The Library Policeman
05-15-2013, 12:28 PM
Having slept on it, I'm STILL delighted I grabbed a S/L version of this. I love different, quirky versions like these! Excited about receiving it :D

becca69
05-15-2013, 12:36 PM

Yeah, I didn't want to announce that up front, but I had been hoping to be able to give everyone something.

Brian

I think you might have had many more entries ;)

Brian James Freeman
05-15-2013, 12:39 PM

Brian

Ha, yep!

shaq
05-15-2013, 01:22 PM

Brian

Ha, yep!

Man, I actually sent my (incorrect) guess to your blog address, and just realise its actually donotreply@wordpress.com! Thats a bit of a Bugger!!

Lol!

Scoogs
05-15-2013, 02:28 PM
Didn't take long for the first copy to hit ebay.

$525 BIN (http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-DARK-MAN-by-Stephen-King-SIGNED-d-traycased-edition-SOLD-OUT-IN-2-HOURS-/271206971172?pt=US_Fiction_Books&hash=item3f2531f724)

CurtSeattle
05-15-2013, 06:47 PM
I guess a purple pink cover with blue ribbon!!! Do I get one? :O

Roseannebarr
05-15-2013, 09:20 PM

Brian

Surprises all week long! Joyland S/L The Dark Man S/L and now the proof!!! I am exhausted. Thanks again for a wonderful treat. Feel free to include a proof for IT 25th anniversary edition. :) I have the S/L but afraid to open "IT" I should have bought two!

shaq
05-16-2013, 06:29 AM
Just got my first grab bag for 2013 - 2 nameless detective books, femme, and kinsmen by bill pronzini, jack ketchum I'm not sam, and Peter straub floating dragon. All signed. Wonderful thank you. Really pleased ESP with ketchum.

Ps please please don't duplicate on the forthcoming grab bag from 2012 when you send me that one (I read on your site sometimes they do duplicate them)

Cheers

DanHocker
05-16-2013, 07:07 AM
Just got my first grab bag for 2013 - 2 nameless detective books, femme, and kinsmen by bill pronzini, jack ketchum I'm not sam, and Peter straub floating dragon. All signed. Wonderful thank you. Really pleased ESP with ketchum.

Ps please please don't duplicate on the forthcoming grab bag from 2012 when you send me that one (I read on your site sometimes they do duplicate them)

Cheers

You should have received all but one of the books in the 2012 Forthcoming Grab Bag already. If you haven't yet, send me an email and I can look into it for you.

shaq
05-16-2013, 07:26 AM
It may be as I'm uk based and you are sending all together?

Anyway, I have pinged an email across, no rush, you may be a little busy at the moment.

Cheers Dave

Ps this is what I like about CD, find time to respond even though you guys must up to your eyeballs in orders etc. cheers.

DanHocker
05-16-2013, 07:38 AM
It may be as I'm uk based and you are sending all together?

Anyway, I have pinged an email across, no rush, you may be a little busy at the moment.

Cheers Dave

Ps this is what I like about CD, find time to respond even though you guys must up to your eyeballs in orders etc. cheers.

I was wrong. There where two different forthcoming grab bags in 2012. The one you order the books are still forthcoming. Sorry for the confusion.

shaq
05-16-2013, 07:44 AM
No problem, I thought it'd be strange sending over the books individually as would be major costs.

Tanks for letting me know.

DanHocker
05-16-2013, 07:50 AM
No problem, I thought it'd be strange sending over the books individually as would be major costs.

Tanks for letting me know.

Actually we do send them individually, it helps save space in our warehouse (which is rapidly filling).

Dan
05-16-2013, 08:41 AM
Send all that extra stuff to me. I'll take care of it. :)

Scoogs
05-16-2013, 09:42 AM
Did I read correctly that only the trade edition of The Dark Man will be out at the end of July? September(isn) for the signed/limited version?

The Library Policeman
05-16-2013, 09:51 AM
Did I read correctly that only the trade edition of The Dark Man will be out at the end of July? September(isn) for the signed/limited version?

I asked Brian earlier in the thread, Scoogs and the S/L's are shipping end of July also.

Scoogs
05-16-2013, 09:59 AM

I asked Brian earlier in the thread, Scoogs and the S/L's are shipping end of July also.

Ok, I thought I had read on the CD forums that it would be later.

Brian James Freeman
05-16-2013, 10:04 AM

It's now looking like it might be August -- we're waiting to hear back about the special paper stock. The printer thought they had enough on hand, which is why we were planning to ship all of the editions together, but they may not. This stock is really nice, but it's only produced in limited runs that take four weeks to process. We will definitely send out an update to everyone who ordered the signed editions as soon as we have a firm date. But it'll definitely be done before Doctor Sleep ships in September!

Brian

Brian James Freeman
05-16-2013, 10:06 AM
We've been getting some questions about two Cemetery Dance related auctions and we wanted to spread the word that they ARE legitimate items.

Although the seller calls the red IT trade paperback proof an "ARC," it was actually one of a handful of inter-office proofs we had printed to look over the book in a more finished form before sending it to the printer. Almost none of these ever left the office, but we donated this one to a local charity's silent auction and the person who bought it there is now selling these.

Here are those auctions if you're interested:

Stephen King Blockade Billy Rare ARC:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stephen-King-Blockade-Billy-Rare-ARC-/230978570405?pt=US_Fiction_Books&hash=item35c76548a5

Stephen King IT Rare ARC:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stephen-King-IT-Rare-ARC-/230978571966?pt=US_Fiction_Books&hash=item35c7654ebe

Brian

The Library Policeman
05-16-2013, 10:08 AM

It's now looking like it might be August -- we're waiting to hear back about the special paper stock. The printer thought they had enough on hand, which is why we were planning to ship all of the editions together, but they may not. This stock is really nice, but it's only produced in limited runs that take four weeks to process. We will definitely send out an update to everyone who ordered the signed editions as soon as we have a firm date. But it'll definitely be done before Doctor Sleep ships in September!

Brian

Cool. Thanks Brian.

jhanic
05-16-2013, 10:12 AM
We've been getting some questions about two Cemetery Dance related auctions and we wanted to spread the word that they ARE legitimate items.

Although the seller calls the red IT trade paperback proof an "ARC," it was actually one of a handful of inter-office proofs we had printed to look over the book in a more finished form before sending it to the printer. Almost none of these ever left the office, but we donated this one to a local charity's silent auction and the person who bought it there is now selling these.

[url]http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stephen-King-IT-Rare-ARC-/230978571966?pt=US_Fiction_Books&hash=item35c7654ebe

Brian

Here's the correct link for the Blockade Billy ARC:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stephen-King-Blockade-Billy-Rare-ARC-/230978570405?pt=US_Fiction_Books&hash=item35c76548a5

John

Brian James Freeman
05-16-2013, 10:15 AM

Brian

Cool. Thanks Brian.

Two quotes come to mind when I'm managing a complicated project like a Stephen King Limited Edition, to paraphrase:

"Man plans and the Gods laugh."

"The best laid schemes of mice and men often go awry."

Brian

Brian James Freeman
05-16-2013, 10:16 AM

John

You beat me to it! Thanks! :)

The Library Policeman
05-16-2013, 10:24 AM

Brian

Cool. Thanks Brian.

Two quotes come to mind when I'm managing a complicated project like a Stephen King Limited Edition, to paraphrase:

"Man plans and the Gods laugh."

"The best laid schemes of mice and men often go awry."

Brian

Hahaha. I don't envy you, Brian. It must be a crazy time, from getting bombarded with orders to getting it all to come together. You guys do a wonderful job though. I love the CD limited editions!

Brian James Freeman
05-16-2013, 10:40 AM
Hahaha. I don't envy you, Brian. It must be a crazy time, from getting bombarded with orders to getting it all to come together. You guys do a wonderful job though. I love the CD limited editions!

It really is a very fun job, but there are moments when I do want to yell, "Why is everyone conspiring against me?!" But then I realize the guy I want to order from who lovingly makes the endpapers by hand in France probably isn't conspiring against me, he's probably just tired and behind schedule. ;)

Brian

barlow
05-16-2013, 10:47 AM

It really is a very fun job, but there are moments when I do want to yell, "Why is everyone conspiring against me?!" But then I realize the guy I want to order from who lovingly makes the endpapers by hand in France probably isn't conspiring against me, he's probably just tired and behind schedule. ;)

Brian

Brian, maybe there's a story in there for you about a guy who goes insane working on a limited edition of his favorite book!

Ken

Brian James Freeman
05-16-2013, 10:53 AM
Brian, maybe there's a story in there for you about a guy who goes insane working on a limited edition of his favorite book!

Ken

Readers might not find the 30 page section where the protagonist freaks out because the leather binding he wanted isn't allowed to be imported (legally) into the US, but I could always edit that down to a few choice paragraphs. ;)

Brian

ur2ndbiggestfan
05-16-2013, 12:35 PM
Well, I WAS the high bidder on the IT proof until somebody blabbed about IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, I'm not mad.

Really, not a bit....

Brian James Freeman
05-16-2013, 12:35 PM
Well, I WAS the high bidder on the IT proof until somebody blabbed about IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, I'm not mad.

Really, not a bit....

oops...

Lauterer
05-16-2013, 01:30 PM
Damn shipping costs... always wanted the grab-pack... but had to forgot about that!

George at C-Springs
05-16-2013, 04:15 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Brian James Freeman View Post

[url]http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stephen-King...item35c7654ebe

Brian

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stephen-King...item35c76548a5

John

When I saw "Rare" Blockade Billy ARC I though it might have been one of the white cover ones; wouldn't call this one particularly rare (I've got one, can't be that rare!)

Seriously, I'm not mad.

Really, not a bit....

Anyone know who the two idiots l***t and n***3 with zero feedback are who've been driving up the price? They account for 16 of the 32 current bids between them. Not that I don't think it would have gone high anyway, I just really hate when people do that; pick your max bid and bid it, enough of the twenty dollars at a time crap. Bob or John, I sincerely hope one of you (or someone else here; way out of my price range this month) wins this and puts these bozos in their place.

jhanic
05-16-2013, 04:31 PM
Anyone know who the two idiots l***t and n***3 with zero feedback are who've been driving up the price? They account for 16 of the 32 current bids between them. Not that I don't think it would have gone high anyway, I just really hate when people do that; pick your max bid and bid it, enough of the twenty dollars at a time crap. Bob or John, I sincerely hope one of you (or someone else here; way out of my price range this month) wins this and puts these bozos in their place.

Neither is me. I already own one.

John

AKC
05-16-2013, 06:58 PM

John

Auction Ended at $666.00......

Holy shit that's a high price for that no?

ur2ndbiggestfan
05-17-2013, 01:26 AM
I made one bid only on the IT proof, hoping against hope I'd get it, but not really expecting to. I think I bid $250. I know it's worth more than that.

carlosdetweiller
05-17-2013, 01:48 AM

John

That is about what they sold for in the beginning (2011).

jhanic
05-17-2013, 04:22 AM

John

Not really too high, when you consider how many were done.

John

Ricky
05-17-2013, 06:51 PM
Brian/Dan: is the $50 slipcased edition of The Dark Man going to have any stamping on the slipcase? The edition description made it sound like it would be a plain, generic case.

Also, any coupons available at the moment? ;)

jon10g
05-18-2013, 01:54 AM
Brian
Any news on the Kevin Quigley book collecting his chapbooks? I forget the title.
Thanks

Brian James Freeman
05-18-2013, 04:22 AM
Brian/Dan: is the $50 slipcased edition of The Dark Man going to have any stamping on the slipcase? The edition description made it sound like it would be a plain, generic case.

Excellent question! It'll be like any of our other SK slipcases. Definitely stamping on the front. The only reason the spine wouldn't have stamping is if it doesn't stamp well because of the size of the book. We're waiting on the prototype to arrive to confirm that!

Brian

Jud Crandall
05-18-2013, 04:39 PM
Brian or Dan,

Any word on when the signed copies of Owen King's Double Feature will ship?

Brian James Freeman
05-18-2013, 05:19 PM
Brian or Dan,

Owen shipped back the books last week, I believe, so they should ship to our customers next week.

Brian

cit74
05-18-2013, 05:23 PM
Brian or Dan,

Owen shipped back the books last week, I believe, so they should ship to our customers next week.

Brian

Cannot wait - heard wonderful things about the book and look forward to reading it

Jud Crandall
05-18-2013, 06:08 PM
Brian or Dan,

Brian

Awesome! Thank you, Brian! I've not read anything of Owen's, and look forward to Double Feature.

George at C-Springs
05-19-2013, 09:37 AM
Brian - I think the website has current status for everything I've got on order except the lettered I'm Not Sam. Where does it sit in the lettered dark hole?

Brian James Freeman
05-19-2013, 12:40 PM
Brian - I think the website has current status for everything I've got on order except the lettered I'm Not Sam. Where does it sit in the lettered dark hole?

Any Lettered Edition that isn't in the Lettered Edition section one the Production Updates page hasn't reached on of our traycase vendors yet, so I can't give a publication date for it yet. We should get another 10 to 15 done this year, including the two King books, for a total of 50+ published this year. It's quite possible that I'm Not Sam will be one of those, but that depends on how quickly the different vendors move -- they each specialize in different types of cases for us.

Brian

Ben Staad
05-19-2013, 08:46 PM
hasn't reached on of our traycase vendors yet,

Brian

How many (guesstimate) traycase vendors are actually out there? It wouldn't seem like there are a ton of businesses that do this kind of work.

Brian James Freeman
05-20-2013, 05:15 AM
hasn't reached on of our traycase vendors yet,

Brian

How many (guesstimate) traycase vendors are actually out there? It wouldn't seem like there are a ton of businesses that do this kind of work.

We've had ten or twelve different vendors over the years. Most have gone out of business as the economy soured. We've tried two or three in the last three years who either took way too long (6 months+ per project) or whose prototype case was junk, so we couldn't use them.

Sometimes we find someone new who looks interesting, but they usually only deal in one-off projects, so when we need 40 to 80 cases, they're quoting us more than our collectors paid for the edition!

We have four vendors right now that we really like and who do good work, and they've been dividing up the projects. One of them can only do larger runs like the King limited editions. The other three take between two and three months per project, but sometimes they're faster. One of the vendors we use for the smaller cases is on the verge of going out of business, unfortunately. Just not enough business out there for them!

Brian

DanHocker
05-20-2013, 05:39 AM
Brian or Dan,

Brian

Yea that's hopefully the plan. We have one major thing in front of that in the list of stuff to ship. Hopefully we can get them out this week though.

Ari_Racing
05-20-2013, 12:09 PM
CD just announced the winners of "Something Dark is coming..." and:

A collectible book signed by Stephen King – Ralph M

Is that you, Ralph? (Mulleins). If so, CONGRATULATIONS!!

Room 217 Caretaker
05-20-2013, 12:20 PM

Yes sir, it's me. I found out around noon today. I've struggled to contain myself.

I'm working on a heart filled thank you Email to the CD team right now. It's taking me a while to complete it though because I keep stopping and going back to read the received Email just to make sure it isn't a bad joke by The Darkman.

Ralph Mulleins

Ari_Racing
05-20-2013, 12:23 PM
:) Hope you receive that email very soon!

Congratulations, pal! Well deserved!

biomieg
05-20-2013, 12:26 PM
Congratulations, Mr. Mulleins! Well done.

east-tennessee
05-20-2013, 12:31 PM
Congrats on the win!!!!....:)

The Library Policeman
05-20-2013, 12:32 PM
Great news, Ralph. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. :)

jhanic
05-20-2013, 12:54 PM
Congratulations, Ralph!

John

Tito_Villa
05-20-2013, 01:10 PM
Great news Ralph :-)

carlosdetweiller
05-20-2013, 01:35 PM
Congratulations, Ralph!

Cloysterpete
05-20-2013, 01:46 PM

Yes sir, it's me. I found out around noon today. I've struggled to contain myself.

I'm working on a heart filled thank you Email to the CD team right now. It's taking me a while to complete it though because I keep stopping and going back to read the received Email just to make sure it isn't a bad joke by The Darkman.

Ralph Mulleins

I'd be doing the same myself Ralph. I'm just totally shocked that there's a King competition that Ari didn't win!.

You better make sure you win the next one Ari, wouldn't want you to go on a luckless streak ;)

Scoogs
05-20-2013, 02:30 PM
Congrats Ralph!

LostAlivE
05-20-2013, 02:31 PM
Brian or anyone else that might know is the Slipcased Trade Hardcover Edition of The Dark Man that CD is putting out the same as The Dark Man: An Illustrated Poem (SLIPCASED EDITION)' by Stephen King that Amazon.com is putting out?
Hopefully there will be a difference.

shaq
05-20-2013, 03:30 PM

Congratulations Ralph. That's a great prize.

I noticed there's a David S on there who's won a Cemetery Dance Lifetime Magazine Subscription. Wondering if its a coincidence or whether its me. Fingers tightly crossed!

barlow
05-20-2013, 03:49 PM
I may have missed it but where are the list of winners?

Robert Fulman
05-20-2013, 03:50 PM
Brian or anyone else that might know is the Slipcased Trade Hardcover Edition of The Dark Man that CD is putting out the same as The Dark Man: An Illustrated Poem (SLIPCASED EDITION)' by Stephen King that Amazon.com is putting out?
Hopefully there will be a difference.It certainly looks like the same book to me. The question is when, and if, CD will fulfill Amazon's orders. (In fact, I wonder if Amazon is the seller that wanted to buy all 5,000 copies.)

shaq
05-20-2013, 03:52 PM
I may have missed it but where are the list of winners?

Hi, it's here:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/extras/category/breakingnews/

ELazansky
05-20-2013, 03:59 PM

Amazon usually lists books issued by CD. Whether they actually get any to sell is another story...

Lauterer
05-20-2013, 10:16 PM

Amazon usually lists books issued by CD. Whether they actually get any to sell is another story...

I preordered at amazon, shipping to Germany is much cheaper than CD can provide... thanks for the link!

Patrick
05-20-2013, 11:21 PM
Congratulations, Ralph! I'm happy for you! :dance:

Room 217 Caretaker
05-21-2013, 07:23 AM

Thank you! I can't explain how excited I am.

becca69
05-21-2013, 07:41 AM

Do you know which book it will be?

Room 217 Caretaker
05-21-2013, 08:33 AM

Do you know which book it will be?

Yes...a S/L The Dark Man

Ralph

becca69
05-21-2013, 08:51 AM
Makes sense - I should have guessed that LOL

(The way they worded it made it sound like it could be anything)

TCCBodhi
05-21-2013, 12:18 PM
Congrats Ralph. I got a little excited myself when I saw Seth, but appears to be a different one. :P

barlow
05-21-2013, 12:21 PM
congrats Ralph! always good to see site members winning!

Patrick
05-21-2013, 12:27 PM

That's the beautiful thing: Around here, you don't need to explain!

Jimimck
05-21-2013, 12:43 PM
Aweome win Ralph!

For those lucky enough to have won the choice of either a Trade edition of The Dark Man, or the "Trade Cover" review copy as a consolation prixe for the recent "guess the announcement" competiton, what option did you go for?

shaq
05-21-2013, 01:31 PM
Congrats Ralph. I got a little excited myself when I saw Seth, but appears to be a different one. :P

Same here for David S. it's not me.

Received a cool consolation prize from Brian trying to guess what the project was.

barlow
05-21-2013, 01:49 PM
Aweome win Ralph!

For those lucky enough to have won the choice of either a Trade edition of The Dark Man, or the "Trade Cover" review copy as a consolation prixe for the recent "guess the announcement" competiton, what option did you go for?

I went with the blue review copy over the slipcased book.

The Library Policeman
05-21-2013, 01:54 PM
Received a cool consolation prize from Brian trying to guess what the project was.

I didn't :(

divemaster
05-21-2013, 04:30 PM

Same here for David S. it's not me.

I am also "David S." and it is also not me. Gave me a tingle, though!

Dan
05-21-2013, 05:43 PM
I didn't win the CD guessing contest, but I am fairly certain I just won the Canadian lottery. Strange, I don't even remember entering.

Dan
05-21-2013, 05:46 PM
To get ack on topic, I received my grab bag this week. Floating Dragon S/L PC copy and a couple other books that I have already read through the Early Readers program at CD. Nice selection, loved the Floating Dragon. Straub is one of my favorites.

ICry4Oy
05-22-2013, 07:56 AM
My grab bag had a S/L PC slipcased Exorcist 40th edition, Ketchum's signed I'm Not Sam and a few other signed books. I'm happy!

Dan
05-22-2013, 07:58 AM
I would have loved The Exorcist S/L, oh well. Congrats on your stuff.

jhanic
05-22-2013, 07:59 AM
My grab bag had a S/L PC slipcased Exorcist 40th edition, Ketchum's signed I'm Not Sam and a few other signed books. I'm happy!

Congratulations! A FANTASTIC grab bag!

John

TwistedNadine
05-22-2013, 08:06 AM
Congrats Ralph!
Fantastic Grab Bag, ICry4Oy.
Dan, did you figure out if you won the lottery or not?

Dan
05-22-2013, 10:03 AM
Congrats Ralph!

Not sure, I've been wiring them money and have sent them my social security number, but haven't heard back yet. :)

Roseannebarr
05-22-2013, 09:00 PM
Congrats Ralph!

Not sure, I've been wiring them money and have sent them my social security number, but haven't heard back yet. :)

Dan, I won the same lottery and I am still waiting for my money. I had to wire additional funds becuz it got stuck in Quebec courts, but lawyers have been emailing me asking to send even more money to help speed up the process. They tell me it could be any day now. We already pre spent alot of what we won on SK books. I hope it comes soon or else my wife is going to kill me.

And I have this foriegn prince who keeps writing me to help get his family fortune out of his country, as soon as I get my lottery money from up north I have to help that guy and he promises a nice reward!!!

TwistedNadine
05-23-2013, 09:18 AM
And I have this foriegn prince who keeps writing me to help get his family fortune out of his country, as soon as I get my lottery money from up north I have to help that guy and he promises a nice reward!!!

LOL, he keeps emailing me too. Oh, and seems I am the long lost beneficiary to about a dozen multimillion dollar fortunes in various little known countries. All I have to do to claim my inheritance is provide my social security number and banking information. Very tempting.

Little off topic, sorry.
CD Rocks (tho I would like to see a 50% off coupon able to be applied to the next King S/L)

tippy4
05-23-2013, 03:29 PM
Brian....I have a remarqued S/L of Doctor Sleep on order.

Can I have my gift edition remarqued instead?

Brian James Freeman
05-29-2013, 03:36 AM
By the way, I wasn't getting any email notifications about the posts here, congrats to all of the winners. I'm glad so many posters here were able to win something.

Brian

Brian James Freeman
05-29-2013, 03:42 AM

We have no plans to sell any copies directly to Amazon. They could get copies from a book distributor, though. I'm sure they'll at least get the regular trade edition. It's meant to be available to all readers.

Brian

Brian James Freeman
05-29-2013, 03:42 AM
Brian....I have a remarqued S/L of Doctor Sleep on order.

Can I have my gift edition remarqued instead?

Depends on which remarque you have on order, but drop Mindy a line and she'll help you out! order@cemeterydance.com

Brian

Brian James Freeman
05-29-2013, 08:07 AM
For those ordered the new Joe Hill and/or Owen King book:

All of the books have arrived in our warehouse, but the publishers didn’t pack the books very securely and nearly all of the dust jackets are scuffed or dinged. Replacement dust jackets are on the way and we’ll prepare the books for shipment as soon as the DJs have been replaced.

We’re sorry about the wait, but we knew the original dust jackets wouldn’t be acceptable to our collectors.

Brian

Dan
05-29-2013, 09:10 AM

All of the books have arrived in our warehouse, but the publishers didn’t pack the books very securely and nearly all of the dust jackets are scuffed or dinged. Replacement dust jackets are on the way and we’ll prepare the books for shipment as soon as the DJs have been replaced.

We’re sorry about the wait, but we knew the original dust jackets wouldn’t be acceptable to our collectors.

Brian

Are these the signed copies?

Brian James Freeman
05-29-2013, 09:13 AM

Brian

Are these the signed copies?

For Owen King, yep!

Brian

cit74
05-29-2013, 09:56 AM
Thanks for taking the time to replace the DJ.

Randall Flagg
05-29-2013, 11:18 AM
That is going above and beyond. Thanks to CD. BTW, both those books DJ's are easily damaged with routine handling. Be careful when you receive your copy.

Patrick
05-30-2013, 01:06 PM
Aweome win Ralph!

I went with the blue review copy over the slipcased book.
Are these ARC's? Where's John Hanic to opine and add them to the list?

That's generous of CD to award consolation prizes in addition to the announced prize list. Kudos to CD and congrats to the winners at all levels.

jhanic
05-30-2013, 02:01 PM
I'm waiting until I see them. They will be added then.

John

Jimimck
05-30-2013, 05:51 PM
Yeah big props to CD for that competition and the prizes. I chose to get a review copy, and have purchased the trade edition as well...

dnemec
05-30-2013, 05:57 PM

Brian

I was wondering where my NOS4A2 was! Thanks for the info!

The Library Policeman
06-02-2013, 07:35 AM
PS Publishing now have the trade and slipcased trade editions of The Dark Man by CD up on their site. For us within the UK, shipping is £5. £10 overseas.

Trade Edition

http://www.pspublishing.co.uk/the-dark-man-trade-jhc-by-stephen-king-1812-p.asp

Slipcased Trade Edition

http://www.pspublishing.co.uk/the-dark-man-slipcased-jhc-by-stephen-king-1810-p.asp

Brian James Freeman
06-02-2013, 08:17 AM
PS Publishing now have the trade and slipcased trade editions of The Dark Man by CD up on their site. For us within the UK, shipping is £5. £10 overseas.

Trade Edition

http://www.pspublishing.co.uk/the-dark-man-trade-jhc-by-stephen-king-1812-p.asp

Slipcased Trade Edition

http://www.pspublishing.co.uk/the-dark-man-slipcased-jhc-by-stephen-king-1810-p.asp

Awesome, thanks for posting the links!

Brian

Brian James Freeman
06-02-2013, 08:19 AM

Brian

I was wondering where my NOS4A2 was! Thanks for the info!

Yeah, it's actually been a fairly big mess, with A LOT of back and forth about who was responsible for the condition of the books (some of the boxes were ripped open by USP in transit!), but our main goal is getting our customers the books in the best condition possible and we're VERY sorry about the wait!

Brian

Ben Staad
06-02-2013, 08:23 AM
Yeah, it's actually been a fairly big mess, with A LOT of back and forth about who was responsible for the condition of the books (some of the boxes were ripped open by USP in transit!), but our main goal is getting our customers the books in the best condition possible and we're VERY sorry about the wait!

Brian

This sounds like a no brainer. It is the suppliers responsibility to take care of the issue? Right?

Brian James Freeman
06-02-2013, 10:13 AM

Brian

This sounds like a no brainer. It is the suppliers responsibility to take care of the issue? Right?

Yeah, basically, especially since we asked them to ship the cartons on a *pallet* so they'd be protected, but they shipped each carton individually via UPS Ground. If you know about how books are shipped from the printer, they are in boxes with almost no packing material, which is FINE if they're packed together on a pallet. But to ship via something like UPS Ground, it's just asking for damage, unfortunately.

The bigger problem is the New York publishers don't seem to produce any extra DJs. They just remainder returned/damaged books. So it's just been complicated. :)

Brian

subie09lega
06-02-2013, 10:16 AM
Interesting information, hard to believe they would ship that way knowing how careless shippers are with packages.

Brian

Yeah, basically, especially since we asked them to ship the cartons on a *pallet* so they'd be protected, but they shipped each carton individually via UPS Ground. If you know about how books are shipped from the printer, they are in boxes with almost no packing material, which is FINE if they're packed together on a pallet. But to ship via something like UPS Ground, it's just asking for damage, unfortunately.

The bigger problem is the New York publishers don't seem to produce any extra DJs. They just remainder returned/damaged books. So it's just been complicated. :)

Brian

Brian James Freeman
06-02-2013, 01:32 PM
Interesting information, hard to believe they would ship that way knowing how careless shippers are with packages.

To the New York publishers, the books are so disposable it doesn't matter. If a bunch of them get damaged, they just go on the remaindered pile. It's kind of the opposite of how small presses look at their books since we have a specific, limited print run to deal with.

Brian

Merlin1958
06-03-2013, 07:53 PM

To the New York publishers, the books are so disposable it doesn't matter. If a bunch of them get damaged, they just go on the remaindered pile. It's kind of the opposite of how small presses look at their books since we have a specific, limited print run to deal with.

Brian

Actually, that makes a lot of sense from their point of view, I suppose.

Brian James Freeman
06-04-2013, 12:38 AM

Brian

Actually, that makes a lot of sense from their point of view, I suppose.

Yep, the labor involved to re-DJ a book, etc, probably isn't worth the profit margins, even on a $25 hardcover.

Brian

barlow
06-04-2013, 07:33 AM
I shipped a package via USPS Media mail. it wasn't an exspensive book but I had written fragile! & do not crush all over the box! So the postal clerk asked me what was in the box? I let him know it was a book, and he had this look on his face, that very clearly said why did you labels book a fragile? I let him know that books are fragile, and I don't mind it taking a little longer to get there but I want it ti arrive in the same condition it was in when it left my hands. I know this was a little off topic. However the point is if you tell shippers that the package is books, there seems to be this attitude that they're just books they can' get messed up.

Ken

subie09lega
06-04-2013, 07:39 AM
Like kids and textbooks.

I shipped a package via USPS Media mail. it wasn't an exspensive book but I had written fragile! & do not crush all over the box! So the postal clerk asked me what was in the box? I let him know it was a book, and he had this look on his face, that very clearly said why did you labels book a fragile? I let him know that books are fragile, and I don't mind it taking a little longer to get there but I want it ti arrive in the same condition it was in when it left my hands. I know this was a little off topic. However the point is if you tell shippers that the package is books, there seems to be this attitude that they're just books they can' get messed up.

Ken

jhanic
06-04-2013, 07:43 AM
Some people just don't understand!

John

carlosdetweiller
06-04-2013, 07:56 AM

I think that you (we) can have them stamp "do not bend," "do not crush," "fragile, handle with care," etc. all over any package or envelope that we send but ultimately it will leave human hands and be on conveyer belts and/or other automated sorting and moving devices. Then it is treated like any other package that doesn't have such stamps on it. Crushing, bending, etc. is then out of human control. At least that is what I think happens. I have never worked in the business myself.

DanHocker
06-04-2013, 10:24 AM

I think that you (we) can have them stamp "do not bend," "do not crush," "fragile, handle with care," etc. all over any package or envelope that we send but ultimately it will leave human hands and be on conveyer belts and/or other automated sorting and moving devices. Then it is treated like any other package that doesn't have such stamps on it. Crushing, bending, etc. is then out of human control. At least that is what I think happens. I have never worked in the business myself.

Yea that's pretty much happens. I had a part time job years ago at fed-ex and the word "fragile" didn't mean anything to anyone that worked there.

Randall Flagg
06-04-2013, 10:32 AM
Humans still get a chance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIsfBBx0GOs

barlow
06-04-2013, 10:57 AM
o

Yea that's pretty much happens. I had a part time job years ago at fed-ex and the word "fragile" didn't mean anything to anyone that worked there.

I had a part time job delivering for the USPS awhile back, and the fragile do not crush seems to make some difference, not a lot but some.

Ken

Brian James Freeman
06-04-2013, 11:36 AM
Humans still get a chance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIsfBBx0GOs

Ha, I remember seeing that video somewhere!

Brian

Randall Flagg
06-04-2013, 11:49 AM
Photos of the proof/Arcs for The Dark Man are up on Brain James Freeman's website:
http://www.brianjamesfreeman.com/

Brian James Freeman
06-05-2013, 08:25 AM
We're down to our last 50 copies of World War Z, so it will sell out pre-publication:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/brooksm01

Brian

Lauterer
06-05-2013, 08:50 AM
The lettered edition takes long. How many are left there?

Brian James Freeman
06-05-2013, 08:52 AM

6 copies.

Brian

The Library Policeman
06-05-2013, 11:31 AM
Brian James Freeman is a very nice man by the way. In case anyone didn't already know that. :cool:

cit74
06-05-2013, 11:55 AM
Brian James Freeman is a very nice man by the way. In case anyone didn't already know that. :cool:

He is definitely my favorite person right now :)

shaq
06-05-2013, 12:21 PM
CD impresses me soo much.

Always responds immediately and always helpful! Very cool outfit.

Lauterer
06-05-2013, 12:57 PM

6 copies.

Brian

I ordered one at the first or second day after announcement and i am really looking forward to it!
6 copies and the film is presented in London today... shouldnt be long to sell those handful and one finger copies...

Yes CD is very very very good. The only criticism i have is, that they are not located in Germany... and they have no private airline that can bring their books to me cheap!

WeDealInLead
06-05-2013, 01:03 PM
ETA on signed I Travel by Night?

Brian James Freeman
06-06-2013, 05:40 AM
ETA on signed I Travel by Night?

I know our copies are on the way, but let me check!

Brian

DanHocker
06-06-2013, 10:50 AM
Very soon. They are here, but Dave is on vacation this week so it is only me shipping orders in the back. I'd say they should ship early next week.

WeDealInLead
06-06-2013, 10:54 AM
Thanks.

tippy4
06-06-2013, 12:05 PM
June 11th huh?

What the hell?!

subie09lega
06-06-2013, 12:06 PM
Let the speculation begin. Any contest for this one like with The Dark Man?

June 11th huh?

What the hell?!

tippy4
06-06-2013, 12:10 PM
So Brain...are members of THIS SITE going to be particularly interested in the new project?

Ari_Racing
06-06-2013, 12:11 PM
Oh, come on! More big news!??! This year is a real shocker!

Brian James Freeman
06-06-2013, 12:14 PM
So Brain...are members of THIS SITE going to be particularly interested in the new project?

HA! Some will be. Not nearly as many as our last announcement, though.

This book is exciting for us because we've known the author for a very long time. He has a large paperback following and we're trying to introduce him to a larger readership through an original hardcover. It's going to be fun. :)

Brian

Brian James Freeman
06-06-2013, 12:19 PM
Oh, come on! More big news!??! This year is a real shocker!

This one will probably be kind of low key for most people, but for those who enjoy the "insider" talk about publishing, it's pretty exciting because it's another big step in our experiments with trade editions. The signed edition is cool, too, of course. ;)

Brian

The Library Policeman
06-06-2013, 12:25 PM
Brian, I hope it goes really well for you guys and sells out very quickly, but THANK GOD IT'S NOT A STEPHEN KING!! :lol:

Jimimck
06-06-2013, 12:26 PM
Brian, is Stephen retiring next year???

Brian James Freeman
06-06-2013, 12:29 PM
Brian, I hope it goes really well for you guys and sells out very quickly, but THANK GOD IT'S NOT A STEPHEN KING!! :lol:

HA! Yeah, I think that would cause an awful lot of hard discussions between spouses. ;)

Brian

Brian James Freeman
06-06-2013, 12:30 PM

If he does, I hope his next retirement is as productive as his last one!

Brian

Patrick
06-06-2013, 03:43 PM

If he does, I hope his next retirement is as productive as his last one!

Brian
Well said!

olverts
06-08-2013, 05:17 AM
Just a question Brian .

Got my Lettered copy of Thomas Tessier´s Wicked Thing´s a few weeks ago .
On the limitation page it says "This Deluxe signed edition is limited to 52 copies" but on your site it says only 26 copies ?

Brian James Freeman
06-08-2013, 05:24 AM
Just a question Brian .

Got my Lettered copy of Thomas Tessier´s Wicked Thing´s a few weeks ago .
On the limitation page it says "This Deluxe signed edition is limited to 52 copies" but on your site it says only 26 copies ?

Thanks for the heads-up! When we switched website software a few years back, all of the data had to be re-entered and I know a few print runs got mixed up. (The "editions" tabs got switched in the database.) I thought I had found them all, but apparently not!

Brian

Edited to add: If the print run difference is a problem for you as a collector, just drop me a line via email because we can always do a refund or exchange. It was always supposed to be 52, but obviously that isn't what the site said!

olverts
06-08-2013, 05:35 AM
Thanks for the clarification Brian !

Looking to sell my copy ( Letter C ) so if you know someone who wants a copy below issue price let me know :)

Brian James Freeman
06-08-2013, 06:03 AM
Thanks for the clarification Brian !

Looking to sell my copy ( Letter C ) so if you know someone who wants a copy below issue price let me know :)

Will do!

Brian

cit74
06-11-2013, 07:00 AM
Hi Brian - so when will your new announcement be posted/up on website today?

Brian James Freeman
06-11-2013, 07:04 AM
Hi Brian - so when will your new announcement be posted/up on website today?

Probably in the next 30 minutes or so!

DanHocker
06-11-2013, 08:09 AM
Brand New Bentley Little Novel Announced Today!
The Influence
Trade Hardcover Editions, Signed Limited Editions!

FREE US Shipping For One Week Only!

Plus An Amazing Special Offer:
Receive Up To $140 In FREE Store Credit If You Order This Week!

http://www.cemeterydance.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/little03.jpg

CLICK HERE for more information (http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/little03)

The details for the store credit can be found in the official announcement. (http://www.cemeterydance.com/extras/brand-new-bentley-little-novel-announced-today/)

cit74
06-11-2013, 08:51 AM
Quick question - on the gift certificate page it says:

No coupons, discounts, Gift Certificates, Savings Certificates, or store credit of any kind can be used to purchase these Gift Certificate. Gift Certificates can be used on any product order through the CemeteryDance.com online store, but they cannot be applied to eBay orders, items we're selling on consignment, and shipping/postage charges.

yet on the announcement page today it says:

We’ll email your coupon(s) next week and you can use them to purchase almost ANYTHING you want from our online store during the month of June including Gift Certificates that never expire — only The Dark Man by Stephen King is excluded!

So can we use the coupon code to purchase a $25 gift certificate in this instance? I just wanted to check.

cit74
06-11-2013, 08:54 AM
Oh and I forgot to ask - it mention:
SPECIAL OFFER FOR OUR DIRECT CUSTOMERS!

Are direct customers something special? Or is that anyone that buys the book online. Thanks

Brian James Freeman
06-11-2013, 09:47 AM
Quick question - on the gift certificate page it says:

No coupons, discounts, Gift Certificates, Savings Certificates, or store credit of any kind can be used to purchase these Gift Certificate. Gift Certificates can be used on any product order through the CemeteryDance.com online store, but they cannot be applied to eBay orders, items we're selling on consignment, and shipping/postage charges.

yet on the announcement page today it says:

We’ll email your coupon(s) next week and you can use them to purchase almost ANYTHING you want from our online store during the month of June including Gift Certificates that never expire — only The Dark Man by Stephen King is excluded!

So can we use the coupon code to purchase a $25 gift certificate in this instance? I just wanted to check.

Yep, you can use these coupons toward the Gift Certificates, so if there's nothing you want right now, you can basically save them for later.

Brian

Brian James Freeman
06-11-2013, 09:48 AM
Oh and I forgot to ask - it mention:
SPECIAL OFFER FOR OUR DIRECT CUSTOMERS!

Are direct customers something special? Or is that anyone that buys the book online. Thanks

Yep, anyone who orders directly from us through our website. We just meant that orders with other retailers do not qualify. :) Thanks!

Brian

sgc1999
06-13-2013, 01:54 PM
Hi,
Could someone let me know how many different arc's to the new Dark Man their are and how many of each?
thank you so much!

The Library Policeman
06-13-2013, 01:58 PM
Supposedly 200 orange arcs, 50 blue ones and not sure how many inter office ones. That's according to Roy at Bad Moon Books who gave the 200 and 50 figures in his ebay listing.

Brian James Freeman
06-13-2013, 02:55 PM
Hi,
Could someone let me know how many different arc's to the new Dark Man their are and how many of each?
thank you so much!

200 of the regular ARC, 50 of the "blue" cover ARC, and 20 interoffice proofs (at least 10 of which were used in production -- written in, etc).

Brian

Randall Flagg
06-13-2013, 03:51 PM
Sounds like the 1/20 of which 10 were used in production and were written in becomes ~10 "mint" and ~10 production (used) copies.

Br!an
06-13-2013, 03:55 PM
SK grabbag email:

We're offering an incredible new Stephen King Grab Bag featuring his brand new short story "Afterlife" and we think these are going to be very popular among our SK fans!

You can preorder your Grab Bag now before the general public while supplies last:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/X_GB061213

barlow
06-13-2013, 03:58 PM
Hey Brian, any chance of seeing some pics of the notes that were made in one of the used interoffice copies? I think it would be cool to see the notations, especially if changes were made.

Ken

jhanic
06-13-2013, 04:03 PM
Hi,
thank you so much!

200 of the regular ARC, 50 of the "blue" cover ARC, and 20 interoffice proofs (at least 10 of which were used in production -- written in, etc).

Brian

I'm adding this information to the listing in King proofs.

John

Brian James Freeman
06-13-2013, 04:14 PM
Hey Brian, any chance of seeing some pics of the notes that were made in one of the used interoffice copies? I think it would be cool to see the notations, especially if changes were made.

Ken

I can definitely ask Rich if he's okay with that. It's mostly little things -- "shift the text on this page just a smidge to the left" kind of stuff. :)

Brian

Randall Flagg
06-13-2013, 05:51 PM
Way to early to share notes. That should (and likely will) come out on Brian James Freeman's blog. http://www.brianjamesfreeman.com/
The Darktower.org will get it a bit later...just a bit...

Brian James Freeman
06-13-2013, 06:08 PM
A few people here might be able to relate to this. I just received an email from someone named Richard Stark who meant to email a different company all together. My first thought was of Donald E. Westlake... and my second, of course, was of Stephen King.

Brian

Patrick
06-14-2013, 09:23 AM
* cue Twilight Zone theme music *

The Library Policeman
06-14-2013, 09:25 AM
A few people here might be able to relate to this. I just received an email from someone named Richard Stark who meant to email a different company all together. My first thought was of Donald E. Westlake... and my second, of course, was of Stephen King.

Brian

The subject line wasn't to do with sparrows flying again was it :evil:

Brian James Freeman
06-14-2013, 09:27 AM

Brian

The subject line wasn't to do with sparrows flying again was it :evil:

Unfortunately, it was "Fingerhut packing slip question" -- whatever that means! :)

Brian

The Library Policeman
06-14-2013, 09:40 AM
Haha all the mystery has gone now, Brian. :)

becca69
06-14-2013, 10:18 AM
Unfortunately, it was "Fingerhut packing slip question" -- whatever that means! :)

Brian

I used to get bombarded with Fingerhut direct mail catalogs years ago!

Bryant Burnette
06-14-2013, 10:54 AM
Any word on when the new Shivers will be out?

Brian James Freeman
06-14-2013, 10:59 AM
Any word on when the new Shivers will be out?

Looking like August. The two SK trivia books and Shivers 7 are all going to the printer this month.

Brian

Brian James Freeman
06-14-2013, 10:59 AM

Brian

I used to get bombarded with Fingerhut direct mail catalogs years ago!

I just had to Google it to give him the correct address, ha!

Brian

The Library Policeman
06-14-2013, 11:02 AM
It's Pizza Hut for cannibals :D

Brian James Freeman
06-14-2013, 11:05 AM
It's Pizza Hut for cannibals :D

HA!!

Randall Flagg
06-14-2013, 12:51 PM
Hop over to Brian James Freeman's site to see unique art that will be tipped into the lettered editions of "The Dark Man".

barlow
06-14-2013, 04:24 PM
Hop over to Brian James Freeman's site to see unique art that will be tipped into the lettered editions of "The Dark Man".

I don't know about everyone else but I have to say I think the special art sheets used for these and the Vincent Chong pieces in Doctor Sleep are a really cool idea. I know for Vincent's art they were a practical necessity that turned out great. They also frame the art work and provide the additional limitation information. I wonder if Brian could tell us if they might be the way they do the remarqued projects going forward?

Ken

Brian James Freeman
06-14-2013, 05:52 PM

I don't know about everyone else but I have to say I think the special art sheets used for these and the Vincent Chong pieces in Doctor Sleep are a really cool idea. I know for Vincent's art they were a practical necessity that turned out great. They also frame the art work and provide the additional limitation information. I wonder if Brian could tell us if they might be the way they do the remarqued projects going forward?

Ken

We're definitely interested in hearing feedback on the sheets. Some collectors really prefer the remarques directly in the book, but we've gotten good feedback on the sheets, too.

Brian

Shannon
06-14-2013, 06:16 PM
Brian, publishing question (which might have been asked upthread. If so, disregard) ...

What is your least favorite book/bookmaking experience that you have personally had at Cemetery Dance? Maybe you guys lost money on the book somehow, maybe the author was a nightmare, maybe the reviews came back and everyone hated it, etc etc. Just curious.

shaq
06-14-2013, 09:44 PM
Hi Brian,

Do you have a status update on the following please?

Another 2012 Forthcoming Grab Bag! I ordered this around Aug last year and can't seem to find any detail of what it is (think shivers VII is one of them?)

And

Cemetery Dance #62 Special Limited Edition Hardcover Magazine

Oh and finally, do you know if there are any spare tray cases for the lettered Exorcist/Legion book? Would love one for my numbered version?

Cheers, dave

Brian James Freeman
06-15-2013, 06:20 AM
Another 2012 Forthcoming Grab Bag! I ordered this around Aug last year and can't seem to find any detail of what it is (think shivers VII is one of them?)

No problem! The announced books are:

* Shivers 7 signed Limited Edition hardcover, which is going to the printer this month for an August publication date
* Cold Comforts by Peter Crowther (limited edition), which will be out around the end of the year

And then I *think* the other two are still unannounced, but they're also due out around the same time as Cold Comforts.

We had a couple of projects jump ahead in the schedule (like The Dark Man), but you will have all four of your books before the next Forthcoming Grab Bag is announced. Thanks for your patience!

Cemetery Dance #62 Special Limited Edition Hardcover Magazine

This one is all ready for the printer, so hopefully by September or October.

Oh and finally, do you know if there are any spare tray cases for the lettered Exorcist/Legion book? Would love one for my numbered version?

Drop me a line via email so I remember to check for you on Monday -- thanks!

Brian

Brian James Freeman
06-15-2013, 06:27 AM
Brian, publishing question (which might have been asked upthread. If so, disregard) ...

What is your least favorite book/bookmaking experience that you have personally had at Cemetery Dance? Maybe you guys lost money on the book somehow, maybe the author was a nightmare, maybe the reviews came back and everyone hated it, etc etc. Just curious.

I love almost everything about what I do, but I can give you four. This is off the top of my head as I run out the door for a wedding, so please forgive any typos:

1) The scariest thing is when an author or an artist has gone off their medication -- literally, not figuratively -- and loses their mind for a while. It can be a very scary thing to deal with someone who is mentally ill, especially via the phone and email, and especially when they've always been "normal" up until that point, so it catches you off guard. In the five or six times it has happened, they usually go radio silent for a few months after the incidents and then you'll get this long, apologetic email or letter from them explaining what happened, apologizing, etc. When we get that email/letter, I always think, "Don't apologize, just stay on your meds! We were worried about you, so I bet the people actually in your life were terrified!"

Sometimes this spills out into "public" on a message board, with the person posting rants or crazy accusations -- no, we did not hide his kids from him, that was his ex-wife -- and it's tough to respond to those posts.

Occasionally, this happens with customers, too. The long, manic email or phone call, followed by months of silence, followed a few months later by the explanation. We've seen it enough to recognize what is happening immediately. But you can't tell someone who is mentally ill that they need to get back on their meds and see their professional help -- they just think you're one of the ones out to get them, trying to trick them, trying to poison them, etc. It's scary and you worry a lot for them.

2) In the old days, there were times when we were pressured by an author or an agent to get a book officially announced because the manuscript was "a few days away" and the author was desperate to see it announced... and then years would pass without anything ever showing up. That always put us in an awkward situation because we didn't like to publicly "blame" the author for the delays. It was actually easier when the problems were on our end, like Legacies, where we could say, "We dreamed too big and now it's been a problem to get the right type of binder to finish the project, but we're still trying." 99% of our customers understood in both cases, but still, it would have been easier if we hadn't announced some of those books until we actually had the manuscript in hand. (That is, by the way, our policy these days -- no manuscript, no announcement.)

3) Sometimes authors or artists have the signature sheets for months or, in one case I'm dealing with, years. There's really nothing we can do to move them along faster. Technically, the contract says they'll sign in a reasonable amount of time, but how do you define reasonable anyway. And no one wants to take someone they're publishing to court anyway? They will eventually get the sheets back to us signed and everyone will be happy. Like with book announcements, we then know: get the sheets signed by this person BEFORE we announce the book. It's easier on everyone.

4) I've now edited half a dozen anthologies for which I've gotten no credit. My name doesn't appear on the cover and I received no payment. The editors simply gave up and the book was either already announced OR some stories had already been bought and *someone* had to finish the project, so I did. And no, I won't name names. But you won't see us buying books from those editors ever again!

5) When we get that call, email, or letter letting us know a long time customer has passed away. A lot of times, these are customers who Richard used to talk to on the phone when there was no Internet (late 80s/early 90s) and he was working out of his first apartment. That's always really sad. Often a family member will call or write to let us know how much the books meant to the person, though, which makes you feel good, if you know what I mean. But sometimes a shipment just comes back marked "deceased" and that's all you ever know.

How's that?

Brian

TwistedNadine
06-15-2013, 06:36 AM
Interesting
So in other words you have to be a Psych major along with your other hats?

RandyinAK
06-15-2013, 06:44 AM
It's can be a very scary thing to deal with someone who is mentally ill, especially via the phone and email, and especially when they've always been "normal" up until that point, so it catches you off guard. In the five or six times it has happened, they usually go radio silent for a few months after the incidents and then you'll get this long, apologetic email or letter from them...
Brian

In the five or six times it has happened?????? WOW, WAY more than I would have ever guessed.

Brian James Freeman
06-15-2013, 06:56 AM
Interesting
So in other words you have to be a Psych major along with your other hats?

You have to do your best to understand other people's situations, that's for sure.

Brian

Brian James Freeman
06-15-2013, 06:57 AM
It's can be a very scary thing to deal with someone who is mentally ill, especially via the phone and email, and especially when they've always been "normal" up until that point, so it catches you off guard. In the five or six times it has happened, they usually go radio silent for a few months after the incidents and then you'll get this long, apologetic email or letter from them...
Brian

In the five or six times it has happened?????? WOW, WAY more than I would have ever guessed.

That's just in my 11 years here that I can remember. It might be more. I try not to keep track, if you know what I mean. It had definitely happened before my time because Richard and Mindy both knew exactly what was happening the first time I received one of those emails.

Brian

Brian James Freeman
06-15-2013, 07:05 AM
Edited: added to the main post above.

Dan
06-15-2013, 08:17 AM
Very interesting! Way to stay classy by not naming people.

carlosdetweiller
06-15-2013, 08:26 AM
Great post, Brian. Thanks for taking the time. I enjoyed reading it.

Shannon
06-15-2013, 09:23 AM
Excellent post, thank you.

jhanic
06-15-2013, 09:30 AM
Thanks, Brian. I don't think many of realized the extent of those type of problems.

John

shaq
06-15-2013, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the update Brian, I'll email on Monday.

Also received my gift from the competition this week. I lost but certainly don't feel as if I did. Thank you so much

Dave

Patrick
06-15-2013, 10:49 AM
Thanks for sharing all that, Brian. It gives a bigger perspective of the hurdles and obstacles you are forced handle and overcome.

herbertwest
06-16-2013, 07:56 AM
I've passed a new order :)
- THE DARK MAN (slipcased)
- The illustrated Stephen King movia trivia book-
- Brian's THE PAINTED DARKNESS.

I've had Brian's book as an ebook since awhile, as it was given away during a week or so, but i dont like ebooks : i forget that i have some in the Kindle for iPhone apps, and therefore i have never read it. :)

Merlin1958
06-18-2013, 06:26 PM
As much as I still love and respect CD, I think I am going to cancel my order for "The Dark Man" and fixate on something else. I just can't shake the "WTF" feeling. Sorry, CD!!! You guys still ROCK!!!

:clap::clap:

cit74
06-18-2013, 07:34 PM
As much as I still love and respect CD, I think I am going to cancel my order for "The Dark Man" and fixate on something else. I just can't shake the "WTF" feeling. Sorry, CD!!! You guys still ROCK!!!

I have to get an estimate on some paint/auto repair from some jack off today - that tried to open their door through mine - so depending on that estimate I might have to join you...

Patrick
06-18-2013, 07:44 PM
Are you two talking about canceling orders for the signed, numbered edition, or one of the other editions?

cit74
06-18-2013, 07:52 PM
I only ordered the signed edition - I doubt i will cancel it - all depends upon the estimate tomorrow - although if it is up there I should be able to get insurance involved and just pay deductible.

Jud Crandall
06-18-2013, 11:36 PM
I just received the signed Owen King book Double Feature and wanted to thank everyone at Cemetery Dance for hooking me up. I like how he crosses out his name before he signs, like SK used to do. Seriously, Brian, Dan, Mindy, Richard (am I missing anyone?), thank you.

Also, with all this talk of cancelling orders, iI'd love to have the S/L of Dr. Sleep (I know you were talking about 'The Dark Man', but I'd love to have a matching set of The Shining and Dr. Sleep).

*!A late word of warning to those previously reading this message: I might be (quite) a bit drunk.!*

Lauterer
06-19-2013, 12:50 AM

I really do not understand, have i missed someting? What is your WTF (What the fuck ??? ) - feeling about? Probably language problems on my side...

shaq
06-19-2013, 01:06 AM
Also, with all this talk of cancelling orders, iI'd love to have the S/L of Dr. Sleep (I know you were talking about 'The Dark Man', but I'd love to have a matching set of The Shining and Dr. Sleep).

*!A late word of warning to those previously reading this message: I might be (quite) a bit drunk.!*

That's a great set to have drunk or not!

Re The Dark Man, I'm one of the few in the not so sure bucket too, but having seen the ARC I must say, I really like it, not going to say anything to spoil, but I sort of get it now, and with the quality CD is renowned for this is going to be a smart packet.

It's very different, but its not just a flick through book though, given the amount of lines on the poem I thought I'd be done and dusted after 10 mins but it'll take a few sittings to appreciate it properly.

Brian James Freeman
06-19-2013, 04:36 AM

Totally nothing to worry about. You have to do what's best for you!

Brian

ChristineB
06-19-2013, 07:37 AM

I really do not understand, have i missed someting? What is your WTF (What the fuck ??? ) - feeling about? Probably language problems on my side...

The WTF feeling was about the price on these books Lauterer, and you got the words right.

Brian James Freeman
06-19-2013, 07:42 AM
Just an FYI, we'll be ending The Dark Man Waiting List this week. It's already topped 500 people and it seems silly to keep giving people hope that they might get one this way. We should have ended it sooner, but we forgot it was still live on the site.

Brian

subie09lega
06-19-2013, 07:45 AM
How long is the Doctor Sleep waiting list? I'm sure I got on it way too late but maybe there's still hope.

Just an FYI, we'll be ending The Dark Man Waiting List this week. It's already topped 500 people and it seems silly to keep giving people hope that they might get one this way. We should have ended it sooner, but we forgot it was still live on the site.

Brian

Brian James Freeman
06-19-2013, 08:20 AM
How long is the Doctor Sleep waiting list? I'm sure I got on it way too late but maybe there's still hope.

Brian

I haven't checked on that in a while, but it's probably way overdue to be pulled from the site, too, if it's still up!

For those who are new to our Waiting Lists, we'll let you know before publication if copies have become available. If there's only one or two copies (like with an SK limited), we'll email the first one or two people. If it's something like a Gift Edition where there might be 25 to 30 copies (because retailers changed their orders or got cut off prior to publication), we might email the first 50 to 100 people since a lot of people join waiting lists just to see what gets offered and aren't actually interested in buying. :)

On very rare occasions (like Floating Dragon by Peter Straub), we might not email you until after publication. We have certain retailers who have to pay prior to shipment for various reasons and if they haven't paid within a certain amount of time, we "release" those copies that were being held.

Brian

Lauterer
06-19-2013, 12:59 PM

The WTF feeling was about the price on these books Lauterer, and you got the words right.

Ok, thanks...

Merlin1958
06-19-2013, 06:26 PM
It's got nothing to do with CD, they are an absolutely wonderful small press publisher (now that, Brian is there!!) It's just that I feel a little inundated by King this year is all. If, it was a slower year, I would more than likely have kept it.

Certainly no slight of CD was intended. Just my own personal decision. There is no need to seek more inquiries, I absolutely LOVE CD's work!!!

George at C-Springs
06-20-2013, 04:18 PM
These came in yesterday and today; really like the Pure ARC and it was a nice surprise, didn't know a shipment was coming in. Thanks Brian!

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMAG0416.jpg
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMAG0415.jpg

Brian James Freeman
06-20-2013, 04:31 PM
These came in yesterday and today; really like the Pure ARC and it was a nice surprise, didn't know a shipment was coming in. Thanks Brian!

You're welcome! Sorry Owen's book took so long. The replacement DJs just ended up being a huge mess, but we finally got everything worked out!

I hope you like the ARCs. The Early Reader's Club has been a lot of fun so far this year.

Brian