Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Watchmen (2009) *Beware : Spoilers are now rampant!*

Achin' to be Seymour_Glass is on a distinguished road Seymour_Glass's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

That ign thing was right. And I would look back to 11 if I hadn't let my friend borrow Watchmen.
    Big town's got its losers, small town's got its vices...

Hiiiiiiii. Spencer will become famous soon enough Spencer's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour_Glass View Post
    That ign thing was right. And I would look back to 11 if I hadn't let my friend borrow Watchmen.
    I'll quote it later, no worries.

and that IGN thing is only ONE of my issues with the ending.

Country
    Country Flag

A funny twist from a reviewer on the overuse of the word "visionary" to describe director Zack Snyder:
    Alan Moore, who has refused to have his name on the movie (ditto its Moore-based predecessors, "V for Vendetta" and "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen") and who has declined all reimbursement to protest the entertainment industry's fundamental lack of respect for intellectual property, counts as a bona fide visionary.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

What are your other issues with the ending?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour_Glass View Post
    What are your other issues with the ending?
    I've got a whole list, i'll post it when others have seen the movie, so we don't have to discuss everything in spoiler tags.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

But I wanna know now, dammit!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gunslinger Apprentice Dave! is on a distinguished road Dave!'s Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'll also reserve any spoiler-esque comments until more have seen it. However, let me say that Rorschach's character was one of the most captivating screen personalities I have seen iin a long while. A story based just around him would have been a better one, in my opinion. Maybe I am at a loss here to the rest of you guys, but I have not read any of the literature associated. No graphic novels, ect. The movie and trailers are the first I had heard of it. So I bought some advance tickets and went to see it last night. Theater not packed, but fairly full. By the time we left (2 hours into it) fully 1/4 of the people had walked out. Some with smaller children, not knowing what they were taking them to see, left when the "intimate" scenes came up. Some walked out at the first sight of the blue penis. I liked a lot of it. Shook my head in disgust at a lot of it as well. I would like to see the ending, but to keep the date on course I knew when it was time to pack up camp and head out. Neither of us were into it. Matter of fact, another guy on our heels stopped us outside the door and asked "Did you guys think that was as bad as I did? Man, I'm let down! I've been a fan for a long time and couldn't wait, but this is an abortion compared to what it could have been."
    I tended to agree. With all of the hype I expected something that would make it onto my "must purchase" list of movies when it came out for sale. What I got instead was a mediocre waste of twenty bucks. The acting was superb. The characters were well done, for the most part, and the portrayals were great. I give the acting content a 9.8. But the screenplay/script/story's contiuity was what killed it for me. I kept waiting for the movie to "start". I kept waiting for it to flow better and make a little more sense. I got the gist of it. I understood that it was dark and showed the "behind" lives and personas of superheroes. It gave backstory and all. I get that. I can appreciate a dark movie, and one off the mainstream view. I.E.-The Dark Knight. But this as just...bad. I felt the same way I did when I went to see Cloverfield. I left with a distaste and a feeling of "WTF!?"
    I'm sorry to offend the ones who will have tattoos commemorating the movie and name their offspring in respect to the characters they liked so well. I hope that no one blasts me too badly here that actually loved it, but I was just dissapointed in what I got versus what I expected is all. I knew from the get-go that it wasn't X-Men or Fantastic 4. I thought it was gonna be greater. I may (may being a strong approximation of my interest) rent it when it comes out just to try again and see how it ends. Maybe then my view will change, but for now this is the most honest OPINION I can give about it. Sorry to offend anyone if anyone takes it that way...
    -Dave
    Because of you I'm Alive. For you I'm awake-Godsmack

What shall a man have if he gain the entire world but lose his own soul?-Book of Mark

I will fear no evil. Cuz I'm the baddest muthafucker in the valley-Jarhead

Country
    Country Flag

No offense taken at all, and totally understand your complaints about the story being VERY hard to follow and get invested in if you hadn't already read the book. Part of that was the changes to the story, but most of it was this:
    Alan Moore is a crotchety, pissy old bastard. Adaptations of his works are typically, in the oft-used critical parlance of our times, teh suck. His magnum opus is “Watchmen,” a deconstruction of the superhero, a 12 issue miniseries so dense it could be classified as an element on the periodic table, its entry represented by a shifting inkblot. Alan Moore has said it is an unfilmable property. Alan Moore says a lot of things, so it’s easy to dismiss his goofy, hairy ass. Dude wears those gaudy Saturday market rings where a purple rock forms the torso of a pewter scorpion. Genius or no, you can’t take a guy rocking one of those things that seriously.

Unfortunately, Moore was right this time. Watchmen is unfilmable. Or more to the point, the things that make Watchmen work haven’t been captured on film. Zack Snyder tried. The effort expended, the sweat, the passion for the book, it’s up there. It’s visible. This is a beautifully constructed work of art, much like Jon Osterman’s Glass Ship on Mars. It cracks easily and doesn’t hold together too well.

On that ominous tract Whidden will become famous soon enough Whidden will become famous soon enough Whidden's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just got back from seeing it.

I loved it, my wife hated it.

I went in thinking it would be a giant turd, but wanted to check it out anyway, just to see if I could glean some good. I think this movie is like they say, you will either love it or hate it, and thankfully I wound up being one of the personality types that really dug it.

Sound was awesome. Acting was good. Which I thought it wouldn't be from watching some of the clips on the net.

Loved the fight scenes.

Music wasn't my style of music, but I liked all the songs anyway.

I closed my eyes in the grinder jail cell arm scene, but other than that, the gore wasn't that bad.

The new ending pissed me off reading about it, but watching it in the movie, I was cool with it.

I felt connected with the characters, even Veidt, who I thought was too young. But the actor did fine, pulled me around.

With so many people, including my wife, not liking this flick, I was surprised I loved it so much, I normally am picky with movies.

I only had one complaint moment during this film, and it was the JFK scene. They could have done it without showing the brutal detail of the head shot, and Jackie crawling through the car. Seeing the detail was too real.

Other than that, I thought it was pretty slick.

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I basically think, if you hadn't read it, you wouldn't get it. Which makes it absolutely useless as a movie meant for mass-marketing.

Honestly, any movie that can't be understood without first reading the book is a total letdown for me.

I gave it a solid 8. The casting for Nite Owl I and II, Rorshach, Silk Spectre I, Comedian and Dr. Manhattan were very good. Veidt was a disappointment. Also, there was NO REASON for Bubastis to be there. At all. They just wanted to make something cool with their CG toys. The ending worked better, film-wise, but doesn't hold up for the reasons above.

Also, am I the only one who thinks Alan Moore is less of a genius and more of a petulant child? Okay, he does good work, but he's still a pain in the ass who can't groom himself. I don't believe "geniuses" should be held to less standards than the rest of us.

Servant of Gan Aaron is on a distinguished road Aaron's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I thought it was really excellent and was entertained throughout. I could nitpick it away all day long if I wanted, but I choose not to because it really was a great film and there is no sense in being critical just for the hell of it. Like someone said before me, you either love or hate this one. The only disappointing part of the entire film for me was that Rorshach's back-story felt a bit too rushed.

Oh, and I totally predicted the new angle they would take for the end like two or three months ago. I win! One to nothing!
    Heng Dai

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Oh.Man.This.Is.Killing.Me!!!

How come I have to be oncall this week! I wanna go !!!!! :end whining rant:
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ka-mai View Post
    Also, am I the only one who thinks Alan Moore is less of a genius and more of a petulant child?
    I think he's a genius who KNOWS he's a genius, which is where the petulant child part comes in.

Country
    Country Flag

OK someone asked for a book quote. Book and movie spoilers here, so I'll put it in tags.

From Issue 11, pages 24, 25, and 26:
    Spoiler:

(page 24)

Adrian: Meanwhile, taking advantage of new technology, I researched genetics...Bubastis was an early success... and teleportation.

(Then, later, Page 25)

Dan: How could genetics and teleportation end war?

Adrian: Well, without Jon's guiding mind, teleportation proved limited. Anything living died of shock upon transfer, or materialized in an occupied space and exploded... but that wasn't what Blake found on the island. He found A collection of missing artists and scientists, working upon a monstrous new life form.

(Finally, still later, page 26)

Rorschach: Said teleportation unworkable.

Adrian: It works fine, assuming you WANT things to explode on arrival. Teleported to New York, My creature's death would trigger mechanisms within its massive brain, cloned from a human sensitive, the resultant shockwaves killing half the city.

Hope that helps.

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
    Also, am I the only one who thinks Alan Moore is less of a genius and more of a petulant child?
    I think he's a genius who KNOWS he's a genius, which is where the petulant child part comes in.
    He is very good But I think Brian Michael Bendis is the best comic writer around
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Country
    Country Flag

I do like most of Bendis' stuff, I just don't think he's written that timeless work yet, while Moore has several.

Gunslinger Apprentice EdwardDean1999 is on a distinguished road EdwardDean1999's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My first impression on changing the ending:
    Spoiler:
    Dr. Manhattan is the scapegoat? Well, it's better than an invasion by giant alien squids. Personally I think the story of the giant squids and the disappearance of those who worked on the project was the weak point of the graphic novel. The movie was already too long without having to explain why missing writers and artists (wtf?) can construct a realistic extraterrestrial. I really approve of neither aliens nor Dr. Manhattan as believable scapegoats. I mean, really? Dr. Manhattan can't be defeated. What's the point of joining forces against him?

My biggest complaint is of Veidt. His presence in the film did not seem to match the comic book. I mean in terms of screen time. It's like they replaced his screen time with that horrible Nixon impersonator. Nixon was more of a footnote in the graphic novel.

Best adapted character: The Comedian. Awesome!

Worst Adapted character: Bubastis. (I'm sure it confused the hell out of those unfamiliar with the graphic novel)

What I missed the most from the adaptation:
    Spoiler:
    The average Joe perspective. I'm talking about the kid who reads the graphic novel within the graphic novel and the newsstand operator.

and

Spoiler:
    The Halloween murder of Night Owl I.

Do You Folks Like Coffee?
    Real Coffee,
    From the Hills Of Colombia?

The Duncan Hills awake you
    from a thousand deaths.
    A cup of blackened blood.
    (Die, Die)
    You're dying for a cup.

Gunslinger Apprentice EdwardDean1999 is on a distinguished road EdwardDean1999's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Also, am I the only one who thinks Alan Moore is less of a genius and more of a petulant child? Okay, he does good work, but he's still a pain in the ass who can't groom himself. I don't believe "geniuses" should be held to less standards than the rest of us.
    If he was a genius he would have the sense to...

A: avoid having his "Unfilmable" work optioned at all.

B: Shave the squirrel off of his chin.

It's been said by those smarter than me: There is a line between genius and insanity. I think Mr. Moore falls on the side of insanity. His stories while wildly entertaining and beautifully imaginative are less the product a creative genius and more (Moore) that of a paranoid schizophrenic. He is as nutty as the squirrel living on his chin.

Do You Folks Like Coffee?
    Real Coffee,
    From the Hills Of Colombia?

The Duncan Hills awake you
    from a thousand deaths.
    A cup of blackened blood.
    (Die, Die)
    You're dying for a cup.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardDean1999 View Post
    A: avoid having his "Unfilmable" work optioned at all.
    He tried. In his words, DC comics "successfully swindled" him. I'll find a quote.

Country
    Country Flag

Here it is:
    Despite the acclaim, though, Moore's relationship with DC Comics was gradually deteriorating over issues like creators' rights and merchandising. Breaking point was reached in 1989 when he objected to a contract clause that stated the rights of his books would revert to him when the titles went out of print, a clause that was meaningless as DC never intended to stop reprinting the books. Moore's reaction was decisive. "I said, 'Fair enough, you have managed to successfully swindle me, and so I will never work for you again.'" In a radical move, he tried to get his name legally removed from some of his most famous works, but failed in the attempt.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardDean1999 View Post
    My first impression on changing the ending:
    Spoiler:
    Dr. Manhattan is the scapegoat? Well, it's better than an invasion by giant alien squids. Personally I think the story of the giant squids and the disappearance of those who worked on the project was the weak point of the graphic novel. The movie was already too long without having to explain why missing writers and artists (wtf?) can construct a realistic extraterrestrial. I really approve of neither aliens nor Dr. Manhattan as believable scapegoats. I mean, really? Dr. Manhattan can't be defeated. What's the point of joining forces against him?

My biggest complaint is of Veidt. His presence in the film did not seem to match the comic book. I mean in terms of screen time. It's like they replaced his screen time with that horrible Nixon impersonator. Nixon was more of a footnote in the graphic novel.

Best adapted character: The Comedian. Awesome!

Worst Adapted character: Bubastis. (I'm sure it confused the hell out of those unfamiliar with the graphic novel)

What I missed the most from the adaptation:
    Spoiler:
    The average Joe perspective. I'm talking about the kid who reads the graphic novel within the graphic novel and the newsstand operator.

and

Spoiler:
    The Halloween murder of Night Owl I.
    Spoiler:
    The whole Dr. mannhattan thing is that people think he was "punishing" them for fighting. But I prefer the alien squid because it united the world against an alien menace. I liked the irony of how it really elevated the conflict instead of stopping it.

I completely agree about Bubastis.
    And, because of flagg and Spencer's opinions, I have to cordially tell them to stuff it and bow down the Grant Morrson.
    Spoiler:
    GOD OF ALL COMICS!

Country
    Country Flag

Well, I'd agree about Morrison, except for that whole Final Crisis debacle. Really, I have to read a crossover to figure out what's going on in Batman, and I still don't understand the crossover OR Batman books when I'm done?

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

My biggest complaints with the movie were :

Spoiler:
    -Like Edward said, the scarce amount of time that Adrian Veidt received. He is such an instrumental component to the overall plot, and I felt like if he was nothing more than a drawn out cameo. I know a lot of people had problems with Goode being cast as Ozymandias, but I thought he was ok. Not good, not bad , just ok.

-I really wanted to see that exchange between between John and Adrien after the latter blows up New York and he says something to the effect of "Did I do the right thing?", I feel like it was an important part of the story that was needlessly left out.

Other than that, I really enjoyed the the movie. Rorschach and The Comedian were handled expertly by Jackie Earle and Jeffrey Dean, and I've made my peace with the ending (flawed is it may be) because the whole squid thing would have taken a lot more screen time to explain.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
    Well, I'd agree about Morrison, except for that whole Final Crisis debacle. Really, I have to read a crossover to figure out what's going on in Batman, and I still don't understand the crossover OR Batman books when I'm done?
    I really enjoyed Final Crisis and his Batman. Although Batman was kind of hard to get.

FC7 is probably my vote for single issue of the year.

Batman RIP was really overhyped by DC.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast