Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: The 2009 Oscars! Who should win what?

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Pam, I agree with you 100% about the "In Memorium" piece. The director of that segment should be shot, hanged, and beheaded.

I hate to say it, but I was rather bored by the Oscars this year. And in the past, I have actually taken a day off from work to watch them.

I was really surprised that Iron Man didn't win anything in the technical portion. That film brought the character to life in ways I thought would NEVER be possible just ten years ago. It deserved better than just a nomination.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Hiiiiiiii. Spencer will become famous soon enough Spencer's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I actually had the opposite opinion, this was the 1st year in a long time that I liked watching the Oscars. Fun numbers, great films nominated this year, and the political posturing was kept to a minimum.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Sam - Yup, the "In Memorium" was shoddy. I hated it. That should be a somber moment to reflect. I loved the live singing and the song was approprite - it was just VERY over directed. They should have cut away from QL immediately, and let the feed be just of the photos.

I'm with you, Spencer - I did like the awards this year. Last year, and really, the last couple of years were very boring to me.

I agree completely on the Iron Man issue - again, nothing technical. Same with Dark Knight. Academy snobbery at it's best.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I totally agree about the "In Memorium" piece. It really ticked me off that we couldn't easily read them all, but I did like QL's singing. Waaaaaay over directed!!

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I loved when Hugh Jackman did that piece on The Dark Knight where he said something to the effect of "It didn't get nominated because it's a comic book movie? Did I do something wrong?"

Gunslinger Apprentice Django is on a distinguished road Django's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I thought Jackman was good. He even made me laugh a couple of times.

Re: In Memoriam. I had no idea Bernie Mac died. I hate to find out like that.

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by idk, my bff jill? View Post
    I was cheering for everyone but Brad Pitt in the Best Actor category, so I'm happy.

From what I heard, that film was unbearable.

I can't imagine how bad an adaptation of an F. Scott Fitzgerald play would be, given how Hollywood butchered its shot at The Great Gatsby.

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    I thought Jackman was good. He even made me laugh a couple of times.

Re: In Memoriam. I had no idea Bernie Mac died. I hate to find out like that.
    Django - Every year at least one person catches me by surprise.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

POW!-lah idk, my bff jill? is on a distinguished road

I live in a very small island in the Caribbean.
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthful View Post
    I was cheering for everyone but Brad Pitt in the Best Actor category, so I'm happy.

From what I heard, that film was unbearable.

I can't imagine how bad an adaptation of an F. Scott Fitzgerald play would be, given how Hollywood butchered its shot at The Great Gatsby.
    It wasn't unbearable, but it wasn't anywhere near as stupendous as everyone made it out to be. To be completely honest, I was even a little bored during the movie, and that really doesn't happen very often with me.
    What I hated the most is that they called Benjamin Button the modern-day Forrest Gump (or something along those lines). And no. No, it's not.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

What I hated the most is that they called Benjamin Button the modern-day Forrest Gump (or something along those lines). And no. No, it's not.
    It's because of the multitude of things that both films have in common; a product of the same writer having written the screenplay for both films.

At any rate, I loved the film, and I can't wait to pick it up on DVD.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

It wasn't unbearable, but it wasn't anywhere near as stupendous as everyone made it out to be. To be completely honest, I was even a little bored during the movie, and that really doesn't happen very often with me.
    Overrated and boring. Sounds an awful lot like Forest Gump to me.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Jayson, have you been drinking again?

I do hate Gump. I can admit that. Hell, I'm proud of it.

My Mood
    Gay

OMG !!

I thought I was the only person who thought that Forrest Gump was sooooo over-rated?!?

Jayson : High Five !!

You must have missed that conversation because I remember bringing it up awhile back and was surprised (pleasantly) to find that there are actually a lot of other people who think so too. Glad to know you are in that camp as well.

I said it then, but I'll repeat it now so you can hear the story (and bc I love this story)... My wife hated it too and we once had a friend who said it was the greatest movie ever. One time this friend was raving about another movie and my wife stopped him and asked "Aren't you the one who said Forrest Gump is the best movie ever? Well then you're opinion on movies doesn't mean shit." I was so proud.

POW!-lah idk, my bff jill? is on a distinguished road

I live in a very small island in the Caribbean.
    Country
    Country Flag

Hahaha. Your wife is funny.
    I say the same thing to a girl whose favorite movies are She's the Man and The Boondock Saints.

Anyway, I admit Forrest Gump isn't the best movie of all time, but I do like it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    /steals

Oh, oh, and little comment: I LOVED BEN STILLER PLAYING JOAQUIN PHOENIX!
    I felt kind of bad for the guy for being made fun of like that, but I laughed anyway.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthful View Post
    I'm not going to pretend that I care which idiot gets awarded a shiny statuette, but I'd by lying if I didn't say I was rooting for Mickey Rourke tonight-not that I actually watched a millisecond of The Oscars.

He's a great actor, and Sean Penn sucks. Not only because he's a retard-which he is-but because his acting sucks balls. Hasn't had a good role since Spicoli, with the exception of that fim he was in with Kevin Spacy-another one-man crap factory-whose title I don't even remember. The only other notable role I remember him playing is that of an uneducated, Irish hood in "Mystic River," which was not exactly a quantum leap in stretching his dramatic ability, IMO.

Sidiq Barmak-the director of "Osama"-had a film nominated for Best Foreign-Language Film. I probably also would have chosen that if I had been able to watch it. Other than that, I could care less.
    I have to agree with you concerning Penn. While he may be a decent actor to some it just seems that he always takes questionable roles which seem to define and limit any real skills he may have. Rourke was fantastic in the Wrestler and coupled with his history was such a great story. However, as usual the Alternative Lifestyle folks at the Academy decided what was the socially important film for us and gave it to him. Isn't it great to have them tell the average filmgoer what is good and what is not?

TDK grossed more than several of the Best Picture nominees put together but, didn't rate a nomination. Go figure!! Oh well onto another year!!

At least Ledger got the nod for the Joker. Man! that was a great job!!

anyone notice that in that collage for Best picture there were no clips from LOTR (unless I'm mistaken), which ran away with the awards that year. There were several other notables missing as well. I realize they had to select a finite number of clips but one's that killed on Oscar nite should have been included. just a passing observation.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I loved Benjamin Button. I thought it was a wonderful film. However one thing that surprised me was that it won (I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong) the special effects award. Which to me should have gone to one of the other nominees. I was also surprised that The Dark Knight didn't win more of the technical awards, those are the ones that I was kind of expecting it to.

And I also really enjoyed Hugh Jackman. I'm not really a fan of his, but I thought he did a good job. But one thing that annoyed me was Beyonce showing up in the musical number. I don't know, I felt they should have used an actress instead. But maybe it's just because I can't stand her.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    However, as usual the Alternative Lifestyle folks at the Academy decided what was the socially important film for us and gave it to him. Isn't it great to have them tell the average filmgoer what is good and what is not?

TDK grossed more than several of the Best Picture nominees put together but, didn't rate a nomination. Go figure!! Oh well onto another year!!
    Um... I don't suppose you'd like to clarify that comment on the "Alternative Lifestyle folks"....

.... Milk was a historical film... based on a true story, about an actual person who was influential in the Gay and Lesbian community. Same as Patton was a historical film about WWII. Would you suggest that the Academy was then the War Mongering folks who decided what was socially important then?

I completely am missing your point.

TDK didn't rate for Best Picture, IMHO, but Ledger's performance was outstanding...

Can you judge a Best Picture by the gross? If so, I fear for next year when likely Twilight will be the big winner.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    Can you judge a Best Picture by the gross?
    I agree with this. Just because a film does well at the box office, does not necessarily make it a good film in my opinion. Also a lot of the best picture nominees have only been out in limited release, or were just released fairly recently, so they're obviously not going to have made as much money as say your typical summer blockbuster.

And honestly this drives me crazy when it comes to the oscars. So many films come out in such limited viewing right before the nominations go up. I wish they would release them earlier, and give the public a chance to see them.

My Mood
    Gay

Heather - For sure, that whole release schedule that results in a dump of films in very limmited releases in only a very few major cities is quite annoying.

I almost wish the Academy would change the rules indicating that some kind of attempted wide-release is required.

Slumdog is just now opening around my ( rather po-dunk ) small town.

I do understand the point of it, word of mouth, and all that - but still, it makes it very hard for the dedicated movie fan to see all the nominees prior to the Big Night!

It just seems like they always forget about movies earlier in the year, and it's just the very recent ones that get a nomination. Honestly alot of the films, haven't even seen much a limited release before the nominations go out, so I'm guessing it's based on what the critics say? What do you think.

I too wish they could set up some regulations, like say it has to be released so many months prior to nominations, that way the general public has a chance at seeing them. And I really wish they would put more of them in wide release instead of limited.

My Mood
    Gay

Heather - Ah, yes, you speak the truth. The first half of the year is largely forgotten...

... a lot does have to do with economics, of course. Smaller films just don't have the money behind them to produce 2500 copies of their film, have a huge marketing budget, etc. They have to sneak up on an audience.

I just wish they'd sneak up on us before the awards, rather than after !

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post

I have to agree with you concerning Penn. While he may be a decent actor to some it just seems that he always takes questionable roles which seem to define and limit any real skills he may have. Rourke was fantastic in the Wrestler and coupled with his history was such a great story. However, as usual the Alternative Lifestyle folks at the Academy decided what was the socially important film for us and gave it to him. Isn't it great to have them tell the average filmgoer what is good and what is not?

At least Ledger got the nod for the Joker. Man! that was a great job!!

anyone notice that in that collage for Best picture there were no clips from LOTR (unless I'm mistaken), which ran away with the awards that year. There were several other notables missing as well. I realize they had to select a finite number of clips but one's that killed on Oscar nite should have been included. just a passing observation.

I thought Sean Penn was so good in Milk and deserved the Oscar. I don't think Hollywood just gave him the Oscar because he was playing a gay man. Personally, I think Micky Rourke sucked ass in The Wrestler. I thought the film and Rourke were overrated. I also thought the directing was trying really hard to be cool or different or whatever but failed.

As for The Lord of the Rings, it probably should have been shown in the clips but it won all those Oscars in 2004, not last year.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Hiiiiiiii. Spencer will become famous soon enough Spencer's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This random review pretty much sums up my general thoughts on the Best Actor thing:
    I enjoyed the story of Harvey Milk, and I'm ashamed to admit that I knew little about the man whose life it was based on. Yet given Hollywood's love of all things liberal, I remember thinking to myself that Rourke was in big trouble the moment I watched Penn kiss another man in the movie. I'm only half joking.

Rourke's performance was outstanding. I can't imagine another actor playing the part of Randy "The Ram" Robinson as well as Mickey did. Meanwhile, Penn's performance was also strong, but it won't stick with me the way Rourke's will. Penn played the part well, but I never got the feeling that another actor couldn't possibly play the part as well as Penn did.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast