Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Whose death was the hardest on you?

Voters
226. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jake Chambers

60 26.55%
  • Eddie Dean

78 34.51%
  • Oy

57 25.22%
  • Sheemi Ruiz

1 0.44%
  • Susan Delgado

20 8.85%
  • Gabriel Deschain

0 0%
  • Randall Flagg

6 2.65%
  • Father Callahan

4 1.77%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you cried during the quest? ***END OF SERIES Spoilers***

Citizen of Gilead stone, rose, unfound door is on a distinguished road stone, rose, unfound door's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't cry much and I have to admit I started crying from the moment Roland betrayed Jake in The Gunslinger, mostly because Jake had so much faith in Roland. I felt betrayed too, even though I knew Roland wasn't the kind of guy I'd have trusted myself. Then I cried during Wizard and Glass (that one was to be expected) because I just hate it when things aren't right. I mean, Roland and Susan could have been happy if it hadn't been for her folksmen being such incredible idiots. I really hated them for that and wished King to tell that Roland, Bert and Alain had killed the whole town, but they were too young for that kind of things, right?
    Then, I cried when ****spoilers ahead****

***don't say you didn't know!***

Oy died. I wasn't that sad for Eddie (I mean, it was such a stupid death and I never considered Eddie a gunslinger, like I've explained already a long time ago in .net) but Oy made me cry because he was so loyal and devoted to Jake it was almost unbearable. Jake's death made me cry too for the same reason. I guess that was all, though it's still a lot as I really hardly cry.

bangoskank1

My wife tells me that you would never know I'm a teamster who was raised by a Hell's Angel..(which I am and was)..becuase I cry so easily...I am an emotional man and I am not in the least bit ashamed of it...I am currently rereading the DT books for my second time and am on Wastelands...not to get off topic but it's amazing how much more fun it is especially with the full concordance by Robin Furth by my side)...but the answer to your question is yes..I did cry...I cried when Oy died...it broke my heart and I was kinda pissed at Sai King for doing it but at the same time I was proud of him for being able to make the billy bumbler so beleivable that I felt it really happened...this time around I know it's coming,,,but I have a feeling I'm gonna cry just the same....

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

My girl and I were driving when we "heard" the ending ( we listen when going on road trips ) - I nearly crashed the truck I was balling so bad. Seems I'd just get past one, and boom - another.

I thought I would be kind of immune when I "read" the books - um, no. Again, tears.

I guess just because I care about all the characters so much.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

bangoskank1

thanks for the heads up turtlex guess I'll be prepared for another sob session..

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by bangoskank1 View Post
    thanks for the heads up turtlex guess I'll be prepared for another sob session..

Friend - I have listened and read all the books many, many times now, and I've yet to escape the emotion they all impart.

I guess it's a tribute to Sai King, and his ability to write characters that touch us all emotionally.

....at least that's what I say when explaining the tear/water marks on the pages of the last book.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Gunslinger Apprentice Rider_of_Discordia is on a distinguished road Rider_of_Discordia's Avatar

It is one of the reasons that Stephen King is one of the worlds favourite writers ... he creates characters that are so real and special to his readers that we feel their loss.
    He has been making me cry since the 70's. Damn it!

Book 7 was naturally the worst of all the Dark Tower books. As I mentioned elsewhere on the forums my daughter managed to make me tell her the plot to the entire seven books last weekend. ** Spoilers** As I was telling her about Jake and Don in the Dixie Pig I began to tear up ... and quite literally choked up at Don Callahan's sacrfice. She was stunned by this, but I pointed out that I had known Father Callahan since I'd read Salem's Lot in 1977 ... and in the 30 years since, rooted for him during the many times I had read and re-read Salem's Lot and later on Wolves of Calla ... and part of me felt both proud and very sad when he faced off against The Grandfathers and Low Men in the Dixie Pig.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Rider_of_Discordia, you must be a really good story-teller if you can make your daughter get into the story so much.

About Oy... I was incredibly sad and I am sure I was crying. God, I was crying all the time when I was reading the last book but for Oy... deep inside I felt it was Oy's choice as well and now he could be with Jake again.. somewhere. So whenever I think of Oy's death I can't be absolutely sad because I know it opened the door to be with Ake.

Roland would have understood.

Beauty Effulgent KaLikeAWheel is on a distinguished road KaLikeAWheel's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

When my husband brought me home my copy of DT: VII he handed me a bag with the book and a box of Kleenex in it. He said, "Here you go, Honey," and then completely left me alone for two days. (He rocks!!!)

I cried all over the damned place while reading DT VII, and I've re-read it several times and I cry just as much every time I read it. Last time I re-read it, I was at work reading when I got to the part where Eddie died and was bawling at work! And don't even get me started on the, "Bye, Jake," / "I ache," thing!!!

I don't know if I cry so much when I read it because of what happens in that actual book, or if I cry just because I know the journey is almost over. I do so love the journey.

Donna

"What can I tell you, baby? I've always been bad."--Spike

Gunslinger Apprentice Rider_of_Discordia is on a distinguished road Rider_of_Discordia's Avatar

Letti, ah, I have to confess to a vice of mine! I have been a Games Master for a roleplaying game group since 1983. That's 25 years of being the person who is "storyteller" to a group of players. They play their own characters in the stories, I provide all the other characters they meet. I describe the places they go, the things that happen to them, setting the mood, building the tension. I've got quite good being a storyteller and keeping everyone hooked on a plot line.
    Oy, oh yes! His sacrifice for Rowland seemed to come out of left field for me. I was so hoping that Rowland would have at least one of his Ka-Tet reach the tower with him!

Kalikeawheel, your husband sounds like a prince among men!

One of the reasons I joined this site was that in re-reading the books recently I have become aware there was nobody currently in my life that I could share all my Tower Talk with. My partner is lovely and understanding, but she hasn't read it and isn't interested. I thought I was going to burn out a fuse if I couldn't discuss it with someone (especially as the final book loomed and I knew that emotional rollercoaster was just around the corner!) Then it occurred to me ... the darn internet! There is always people outthere! And here you all are!! Thank you.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Here we always have a free comfortable seat, hot chocolate or a nice glass of beer for a new DT junkie.

I wish I could hear you telling a story. Your daughter is lucky.

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, a number of times.

Jake on the bridge in The Gunslinger
    Jake and the Forest scene in DT VII
    Oy's dying words...Olan

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wizardsrainbow View Post
    Jake and the Forest scene in DT VII
    Oy's dying words...Olan
    These two for me. I get choked up just reading about them.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Palaver Castle Chef mia/susannah is on a distinguished road mia/susannah's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Jake and oy's death really tore me up. I was sad about Eddie, and Father Callahan, but oy and Jake was the hardest for me

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

why do i come into this thread? i'm crying now just reading it. so that should tell you something. goddamn it.

okay. i'm fine now. really. i'm okay.

goddamn it all. i need a fucking kleenex...........

:wandersofftofindkleenex:

Traveler Oy the Brave is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Hello. I'm new to this place and, like a previous post, my world is pretty small and I don't know anybody to talk about the Tower with. I just finished them for the first time yesterday. I loved them all. I loved the whole tet and cried each time one of them died. However for some reason Oy was always my favorite. I don't know why. Maybe it's because I love animals, but I really think it's more than that. When Oy helped rescue Jake in Lud, when they were in the Dogan hiding, and underneath the Dixie Pig I was on the edge of my seat. I mean I was INTO the books at those moments. A nuclear bomb could have gone off... ...I wouldn't have even noticed. I was scared for both Jake and Oy, and then quite relieved when they made it through. When Jake saved King though, I lost it. It was almost too much. At the end with Mordred though, when Oy died and said his last word "Olan" and licked him, I was completely heartbroken. It was the most I have ever cried fro a book, movie, etc. 24 hours later as I'm typing right now the tears have started again as I think about it. My fiance probably thinks I'm nuts. Oy is one of my favorite characters ever. Probably in my top 3. My heart just really went out to him. LONG LIVE OY THE BRAVE!

p.s. I was disapointed that he wasn't with Jake and Eddie in "the other New York". The little bit that Sai King said about him joining them later on helped but still.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Oy rocks.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Country
    Country Flag

Absolutely. He seemed like a great friend.

With A Fist Full Of Steel Arthur Heath is on a distinguished road Arthur Heath's Avatar

3rd Planet on the left in the Milky Way galaxy
    Country
    Country Flag

Mayhap I am a little emotionally dead inside. No book has made me cry. Being the Cuthbert lover that I am I was proud the way he went out on Jericho Hill. I was a little outraged when Eddie died because I liked how much he evolved to become the Gunslinger that he was.
    I think the last fictional moment that made me tear up is when Data died in the last Star Trek movie.

"As for gunslingers, Roland," Cuthbert says, "I am here. And we are the last."

When two fit, it makes you think
    I got the cute one, my woman
    She says, "Lovin's all I bring"
    And it's her loving that's a wonderful thing.
    Lovin' yes we are, it's such a wonderful thing
    When two fit it makes you think
    See us both in the black
    She lays on me so relaxed.
    -Big D and The Kids Table

Country
    Country Flag

I don't think it's emotionally dead. You said yourseld that you teared up when Data died. There's just different degrees of it. Some of my friends are the same way.

My Mood
    Gay

Oy does rock.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Heath View Post
    Mayhap I am a little emotionally dead inside. No book has made me cry. Being the Cuthbert lover that I am I was proud the way he went out on Jericho Hill. I was a little outraged when Eddie died because I liked how much he evolved to become the Gunslinger that he was.
    I think the last fictional moment that made me tear up is when Data died in the last Star Trek movie.
    What are you...made of metal?

Kidding...Hell, a lot will probably *gasp* when I say that Susan's death never bothered me. Hell, it still doesn't.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Heath View Post
    You aren't. If you are reading books and you love them you can't be.
    There are people who cry once in a blue moon, it's normal.

Country
    Country Flag

Hey - I've seen here and there that a few comments have been made about making DT into a movie. Is there anymore news on this? If so, where could I keep up to date with such stuff?

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Oy the Brave View Post
    Hey - I've seen here and there that a few comments have been made about making DT into a movie. Is there anymore news on this? If so, where could I keep up to date with such stuff?
    hey there oy the brave. welcome to the site. there are threads here about who we would cast and how we would do it (7 movies, mini series, etc).

Who would you cast if a Dark Tower movie was made?

If they Made it into a movie, how would you like to see it done?

i don't know about the movie itself other than checking imdb or something like that. somebody else might know.

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks turtlesong I'll check it out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast