Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: How would you like to see it done?

Voters
191. You may not vote on this poll
  • Seven Movies

98 51.31%
  • Seven Cartoons

4 2.09%
  • Seven Computer Animated Movies

13 6.81%
  • A Miniseries

34 17.80%
  • Nothing, they could never do it right!

42 21.99%
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: How would you like to see it done? The Official DT Movie Thread

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Default How would you like to see it done? The Official DT Movie Thread

So lets say they actaully do it. What would be the best format?

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd like to see some great, real, landscapes for the movie

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd rather see it on the big screen, but I think it could be condensed to 4 or 5.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

maerlyn, thanks I have been waiting for this poll for long

Roland would have understood.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes!

Me and Sarah on the same page.

and...this is the newest poll on our news page
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I voted for movies though I think seven is too many. I think Zone had the best idea for movies and I think his idea was four (??).

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd like to see seven movies, but I don't think that would ever happen. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong someday.

I voted for the tv series option, in hopes of something high quality that takes the time to develop the full story well.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

sorry... I don't want anything... can't be done right.
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Odetta View Post
    sorry... I don't want anything... can't be done right.
    I thought the same for long... but now I think it's possible.
    Maybe if King would be one of the directors, hm?

With A Fist Full Of Steel Arthur Heath is on a distinguished road Arthur Heath's Avatar

3rd Planet on the left in the Milky Way galaxy
    Country
    Country Flag

If they could get a great budget, go for it. If not, leave it alone.

"As for gunslingers, Roland," Cuthbert says, "I am here. And we are the last."

When two fit, it makes you think
    I got the cute one, my woman
    She says, "Lovin's all I bring"
    And it's her loving that's a wonderful thing.
    Lovin' yes we are, it's such a wonderful thing
    When two fit it makes you think
    See us both in the black
    She lays on me so relaxed.
    -Big D and The Kids Table

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I voted movies, although I don't think think there should be so many. I can't think of any other thing I'd rather watch in a theatre then Roland and the Ka-Tet mowing people (and things!) down.

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

hmmm maybe i'll amend the poll.

I think if Jae Lee had his hand in some of the drawing it could really be done right as computer animation.

EDIT: I can't edit this poll as i don't have the power.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Citizen of Gilead She-Oy is on a distinguished road She-Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I can't believe I voted this way, but I said "none of the above".

Sometimes it's best to keep things in one's own imagination. So many of King's works have been turned into crappy visual media. I have my own Roland in mind and I don't want him to be Clint Eastwood or some animated character...and I know if they are made into something, I would have to watch them, therefore forever altering my imagination....and I don't want that.

I'd like to see King keep these books pure to the individual.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Banned sarajean is on a distinguished road

i voted miniseries.

some of the best adaptations of king's work have been done through the miniseries vehicle, and i think it could really work if the right people were brought on board.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm down with Odetta and She-Oy at the end of the day. If it has to be done I'd prefer anime.

Sleep Controller ZoNeSeeK is on a distinguished road ZoNeSeeK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I voted miniseries aswell. I dont see it ever lifting off ont he big screen due to funding.
    "You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think." - Duma Key
    zoneseek@thedarktower.com

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I voted for not having it done. The mind's eye is best.

John

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Very true John, nothing can ever compare to the movies we see in our minds, it is what makes us all unique, because we all see something different

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I would have voted not to do it if it weren't for the Lord of the Rings films showing how wonderful it can be when a project is done right.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I would have voted not to do it if it weren't for the Lord of the Rings films showing how wonderful it can be when a project is done right.
    How true.

Gunslinger Apprentice Harrald is on a distinguished road Harrald's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I honestly don't see how these could be made into movies. Even the Lord of the Rings was changed quite a bit for the movies. Time lines were different and some other details about relationships were added.

I'm not one of those people that rants about "the movie changing the book" If I was I wouldn't have been able to watch the Harry Potter movies. I look at these movies as if they are the abridged versions. I wouldn't want to see an abridged version of these books.

The only way it could be made would be in anime form and that would also ruin the story. There isn't enough of a following to make movies any money (it is show business, not show fun). An anime series could be made cheaply enough to be cost effective. The problem is it would have to be changed a bit for Japanese audiences. Japanese stories translate well to westerns, not the other way around.

But these are only my opinions.....

**EDIT**
    Since I always imagined Roland as Clint Eastwood from The good, the bad and the ugly, it was easy to build the movie in my head. I had a main character, a setting and a feel for the world already.
    Last edited by Harrald; 09-22-2007 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Something to add

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    I'm down with Odetta and She-Oy at the end of the day.
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Harrald View Post
    The only way it could be made would be in anime form and that would also ruin the story.
    Why do you think anime form would be better than a real movie? I am interested in it a lot. I am absolutely sure that real people (good ones the best ones) could give back the story much better.
    Real people are real people.

Gunslinger Apprentice Harrald is on a distinguished road Harrald's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

The problems I see with this are

• The amount of time that it would take to film movies. In the books the only person that ages more than a few months (maybe a year) is Roland. Jake becomes a real problem

• The audience for these films would be to limited to recoup the investment. (Harry Potter works because of children. Every kid that sees the movie is at least 2 tickets. Lord of the Rings was paid for mostly with government funds. A box office bust wouldn't put a film company out of biz.)

• It would be abridged to fit into movie form. (the parts I think would be cut and slashed would ruin it for me. I think W&G would become nothing more than a 5-10 minute flashback)

• And finally....Could a movie come close to how good it looked in your head? (Like I posted elsewhere, I already had a face for Roland, a style for the scenery and a world for it all to take place in. It just looked like "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" to me

I don't think Anime would be better, just the only way to do it close to the books. Even then I don't think it could be done right. I'm sure there's more. But mostly I am scared that it would suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Why do you think anime form would be better than a real movie? I am interested in it a lot. <<SNIP>>

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I am not sure the Jake problem is that big of an obstacle, not only is time soft over there but they could make an effort to film most of his major scenes at the same time.--meaning all first or something like that.

Also, its a big deal in the story that time is "off" throughout. If asked how many years went by from the time Jake was drawn back into the story and the end, it would be impossible to say.

This is why I wouldn't mind seeing it done as a series of well done graphic cartoons--even if it was only to dvd or something like that---episodes on adult swim. The reason is because it would generate interest and how many of those kinds of things gone on to the big screen as actual movies?
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast