Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best War Movies of All Time!

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Best War Movies of All Time!

I was reading through reactions to the most recent war movie, Hacksaw Ridge, and it got me wondering about the best War Movies of All Time! Never started a thread before, so I'm not even sure I am doing this right, or if there will be any interest. Maybe it will eventually be turned into a poll? To start things off, here are five of my favorites in no particular order:

The Great Escape (OK, so maybe this is my favorite) - the all star cast is amazing!
    Full Metal Jacket - one of Kubrik's best; Vincent D'Onofrio is amazing, as is R. Lee Ermey
    Battle of the Bulge - the first time I noticed Robert Shaw
    Das Boot - saw this in the movie theater; so claustrophobic
    Platoon - perhaps the only good movie that Charlie Sheen every made

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Love me some war flicks, will continue to add to this post when I think of more favorites

Paths of Glory
    Apocalypse Now
    Patton
    Saving Private Ryan
    The Bridge on the River Kwai
    Lawrence of Arabia
    All Quiet on the Western Front (both versions)
    Grand Illusion
    Dr. Strangelove
    Blackhawk Down
    The Longest Day
    Das Boot
    The Deer Hunter
    The Great Escape
    American Sniper
    The Hurt Locker
    The Dirty Dozen
    The Pianist
    Downfall
    Jarhead
    MASH
    Stalag 17
    Cross of Iron
    From Here to Eternity
    Gone with the Wind
    Platoon
    Dr. Zhivago
    The Great Dictator
    Duck Soup
    The Battle of Algiers
    The Best Years of Our Lives
    Johnny Got His Gun
    Mister Roberts
    Ran
    Casablanca
    Inglourious Basterds
    The Grey Zone
    The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
    Three Kings
    They Were Expendable
    Back to Bataan
    She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
    Stop Loss
    The Flags of Our Fathers
    The Imitation Game
    30 Seconds Over Tokyo
    Battleground
    Story of G.I. Joe
    The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
    49th Parallel
    Gallipoli

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Saving Private Ryan!!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Mister Roberts
    The Bridge (Die Brucke) 1959
    Johnny Got His Gun.
    Paths Of Glory
    Fail-Safe
    Dr. Strangelove
    The Best Years of Our Lives
    For Whom the Bells Tolls

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Braveheart
    Ran
    Bronenosets Potemkin / Броненосец Потёмкин
    Stalingrad
    Hamburger Hill

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

It's funny you should create this thread, I actually just put together a list of my favorite war films last night.

If you guys aren't familiar with Letterboxd, you should check it out. It's a great site for keeping track of the movies you watch, as well as making lists.

Also, you should know that I'm really picky about my movie genres. I like to break them down to sub genres. For example, Three Kings isn't a war movie to me. It's a heist film. The same goes for The Great Escape and Bridge Over the River Kwai, I consider them prison films. Weird, I know. Just how I roll, so don't be shocked when you don't see them on my list.

The order is not official. I quickly threw this together.

My Favorite War Movies.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Not weird. I always thought Gone With The Wind was a love story. And Dr. Zhivago.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Depends on what you mean when you say War Film. I believe any film that demonstrates the impact of war on society or deals with moral issues that people face because of war, even if there are no battles, can be considered a war film. I know most people will disagree with some on my list but I can only see things how I see them. And of course Dr. Zhivago and Gone with the Wind are romances but as we've seen in some of our movie tournaments, films can be more than one genre at a time.

To say it another way, would the film exist if not for war? If it would not, then I consider it a war film.

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
    49th Parallel

I assume that this 100 year old film should be added to the list?
    Spoiler:

and of course this must be added to My best war films list...
    Spoiler:

also managed to pick up this Blu-Ray set on my RENO/LAS VEGAS shopping trip.
    Spoiler:

HELLO!
    Spoiler:

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Casablanca a war film? LOL!

YES! Not all wars are fought on the battlefield.

Being from the U.K. you should know this better then anyone....
    Spoiler:

Take your pick.....
    Spoiler:
    149 min,239min or 293min.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

A Midnight Clear is a brilliantly executed war film that has some incredible silent moments.

Spoiler:

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am actually watching Saving Private Ryan again. What great film. I would say it is equal to Hacksaw Ridge for me anyways.... I had a lot of discussion about that on the Rate a Film thread... is there a way to do a poll for best war film? Be interesting to see
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    I am actually watching Saving Private Ryan again. What great film. I would say it is equal to Hacksaw Ridge for me anyways.... I had a lot of discussion about that on the Rate a Film thread... is there a way to do a poll for best war film? Be interesting to see
    We would have to do something similar to the music tournament. Lots of work with multiple polls-many of which flood people when they look at new posts.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    We would have to do something similar to the music tournament. Lots of work with multiple polls-many of which flood people when they look at new posts.
    Could we just do a "straw poll' in thread to determine the top 5 and then do a formal poll to keep the threads to a minimum? Say, ten days to nominate and second and see what may come of it?

I could utilize my trusty "legal Pad" to tabulate the straw poll, I think.

1. Saving Pvt Ryan
    2. The Patriot
    3. The Green Berets
    4. Platoon
    5. Apocalypse Now
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Paths of Glory
    Apocalypse Now
    Saving Private Ryan
    All Quiet on the Western Front
    Dr. Strangelove

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Paths of Glory
    Apocalypse Now
    Saving Private Ryan
    Dr. Strangelove
    See, this could be done with a single additional thread. If, RF would help (I am terrible at "Poll threads") we can tabulate everyone's top five from now until midnight, AZ time, Nov 30th and start the poll thread 12/1. I tabulate by hand so to speak so if some of you are willing to check me I'll keep tabs to see which 5 films are most liked and then do the poll for the winner. I say we stick to US bonafide conflicts like WWI/II Korea, Vietnam, Afghanistan, Greneda and Iraq. Did I miss a conflict with a film? No "Spy", "Sci-Fi" or "Fantasy" films? Sound good? I welcome any thoughts in the next twenty four hours, if we are going to make a go of this.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Paths of Glory
    Apocalypse Now
    Saving Private Ryan
    Dr. Strangelove
    See, this could be done with a single additional thread. If, RF would help (I am terrible at "Poll threads") we can tabulate everyone's top five from now until midnight, AZ time, Nov 30th and start the poll thread 12/1. I tabulate by hand so to speak so if some of you are willing to check me I'll keep tabs to see which 5 films are most liked and then do the poll for the winner. I say we stick to US bonafide conflicts like WWI/II Korea, Vietnam, Afghanistan, Greneda and Iraq. Did I miss a conflict with a film? No "Spy", "Sci-Fi" or "Fantasy" films? Sound good? I welcome any thoughts in the next twenty four hours, if we are going to make a go of this.
    Personally, I don't think any restraints are necessary but I don't mind them either if that is how you would like to do it. What about The Cold War, Civil War and Revolutionary War?

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Glad to see the enthusiasm in the thread I created. I hoped for more thoughtful discussion about films and less listing. I like the idea of a poll, though I don't have time to put one together.

Another favorite of mine - Gallipoli. An early Mel Gibson. Such a tragic ending - the film, not Mel.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Paths of Glory
    Apocalypse Now
    Saving Private Ryan
    Dr. Strangelove
    Personally, I don't think any restraints are necessary but I don't mind them either if that is how you would like to do it. What about The Cold War, Civil War and Revolutionary War?

Sure. I only listed those conflicts to get the ball rolling. Whatever you guys feel is valid is cool by me. I'm just the accountant I guess!!! lol lol
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    Glad to see the enthusiasm in the thread I created. I hoped for more thoughtful discussion about films and less listing. I like the idea of a poll, though I don't have time to put one together.

Another favorite of mine - Gallipoli. An early Mel Gibson. Such a tragic ending - the film, not Mel.
    lol, I just added that one to my list before reading your post. I have a feeling stray war films will be popping into my head for days now that I've got them on my mind thanks to this thread.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post

lol, I just added that one to my list before reading your post. I have a feeling stray war films will be popping into my head for days now that I've got them on my mind thanks to this thread.

This is all fine. However, I do want to caution that we will need to define the genre and offer lists of our top five within the suggested time frame in order to have an "official" poll. So let me know the parameters and make your lists folks. More discussion can theoretically occur once the poll thread is started. That make sense to everyone? Remember, I'm just taking a stab at organizing something here. I am by no means the "general" or calling the shots. It's a cooperative thing as long as I feel I can handle it and deliver for you all!! LOL

That all is of course if you want me to do this in the first place. Also, I will need some "checkers" for sure. Like I said this should be a cooperative effort.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast