Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official 2014 Oscar Contest Thread

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    I just think it's a natural progression. If we are going to honor up to 10 films, why not honor up to 10 directors as well as actors? Thoughts?
    Time constraints.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    Dammit, now I have to watch a lot of movies I don't really want to.

Nebraska, Dallas Buyers Club, Blue Jasmine, and Philomena; I'm looking at you.
    The only one of those I'm really not feeling is Philomena, it's too Oscar Bait-y for me. I'm curious about the rest.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Dallas Buyers Club looks really good. I'm not interested in the rest. Except maybe Nebraska. That could be interesting in a quiet kind of way.

Feev, I know what you're saying about time constraints. They're always worried about that stuff. I don't think it will add a whole lot of time onto the show. How long does it take to list 4 or 5 more names? It's not like they show clips. Most of the time they cut those too.

I'd hate to say it, it might be time to cut categories (when I say cut I don't mean get rid of the award, just don't give it away live). I'm mainly talking about Best Short Film Live Action and Best Short Film Documentary. These are typically two categories 99% of the audience hasn't even seen the nominees. There's no place to even find them without digging around the internet. I respect anybody who gets nominated in those categories, but they're too obscure for mainstream audiences.

Now, if the Academy would make the available to the public somehow, I would be more than happy to watch.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

They should cut shit no one really cares about. Best costume design, anyone?

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Feev, I know what you're saying about time constraints. They're always worried about that stuff. I don't think it will add a whole lot of time onto the show. How long does it take to list 4 or 5 more names? It's not like they show clips. Most of the time they cut those too.

I'd hate to say it, it might be time to cut categories (when I say cut I don't mean get rid of the award, just don't give it away live). I'm mainly talking about Best Short Film Live Action and Best Short Film Documentary. These are typically two categories 99% of the audience hasn't even seen the nominees. There's no place to even find them without digging around the internet. I respect anybody who gets nominated in those categories, but they're too obscure for mainstream audiences.

Now, if the Academy would make the available to the public somehow, I would be more than happy to watch.
    Then it'll turn into the Grammys. I have a huge pet peeve with those awards as only a small fraction of awards are shown, and those are usually ones I don't even care about. I never even watch them anymore. So honestly I would hate it if they cut anything from the Oscars. There's not that many categories so it'd be weird if they cut one or two out. Also I like that there's only 5 nominations. I actually wish they would go back to just 5 for films. I know they had more nominations in the past but to me it just feels like a money making ploy. I think if you increase the amount of nominations then it lessens the others. It's an honor to get nominated. Of course there will be those times when it's a really strong year for film and people or films get snubbed, and then also the opposite where it's weak and films get nominated that wouldn't otherwise. That said, I think I've mentioned my complaints above. But the Oscars are progressively getting me more and more irritated over the past few years. I wish they would broaden their horizons when it comes to their nominations. It's almost the same circle every time.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    They should cut shit no one really cares about. Best costume design, anyone?
    I hear you, but it's important to the costume designers and to the films, right?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Well there is one thing that annoys me about the oscars. The show no love for Horror films at all...except for one category and that is maybe special effects and only one time did they win.....(American Werewolf in London). If you are going to have an awards show about movies consider all of them not just the thought provoking ones or have a category for horror films.

Does whatever a spiderman does.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mystima View Post
    Well there is one thing that annoys me about the oscars. The show no love for Horror films at all...except for one category and that is maybe special effects and only one time did they win.....(American Werewolf in London). If you are going to have an awards show about movies consider all of them not just the thought provoking ones or have a category for horror films.
    Now that is a great idea. Maybe they should have a "Best Picture" for every genre instead of just one.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Agreed. There's a certain type of film they go for and rarely go outside that. Just because it's horror movie, doesn't make it a bad movie.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Horror films don't get any love because most of them are crap. Comedies rarely get any love too. Most of them are also crap. I'd be all for genre specific categories, but where do you stop?

As far as expanding the acting categories, they wouldn't be forced to nominate 10 actors. In years that are light, only the deserving actors would get nominated. There would be a percentage taken just like Best Picture. So it wouldn't necessarily have to be 10 actors every year. Some years it would be 6, some years it would be 7.

I also understand what you're saying about the same old crew getting noms, but they are all giving solid performances. They deserve it. That being said, there are a bunch of first time nominees this year. Ejiofor, Abdi, Squibb, Hawkins, Nyong'o are all first timers. Dern has been around forever, but hasn't been nominated since 1979. This is also Leto's first nomination. He's been around for a little while, but disappeared from Hollywood for almost 5 years.

So I think there's just enough new faces to keep things interesting.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm also surprised Joaquin Phoenix (Her) didn't get nominated.

I'm also surprised about Her. It gets nominated for Best Picture, but not directing nom for Jonze or and acting nom for Phoenix.

Some other odds and ends: I'm a little surprised Monsters U didn't get nominated in the animated category.
    I was super surprised that Her was nominated for BP. I thought it might get something for the screenplay, but not BP. If there was anything about the film that deserved a nom., though, it was Joaquin, who definitely deserved it. But I think you may be right about his attitude getting in the way of that.

Another big surprise for me was a lack of Monsters University, too. Hopefully its absence will give Frozen the win it deserves. (I also feel like that Pixar movies tend to be nominated just because they're Pixar, so it makes me happy that this isn't the case this year.)

I thought the same thing this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Also I like that there's only 5 nominations. I actually wish they would go back to just 5 for films. I know they had more nominations in the past but to me it just feels like a money making ploy. I think if you increase the amount of nominations then it lessens the others. It's an honor to get nominated. Of course there will be those times when it's a really strong year for film and people or films get snubbed, and then also the opposite where it's weak and films get nominated that wouldn't otherwise. That said, I think I've mentioned my complaints above. But the Oscars are progressively getting me more and more irritated over the past few years.
    I totally agree, Heather. When they first expanded the amount of BPs allowed, I liked it and thought it made sense to open up the category. But now it seems like it's just serving the purpose of showcasing what other members of the Academy picked as their favorites. Looking at the nominees the past few years (today, too), it's obvious what films won't win BP: Philomena, Nebraska, Dallas Buyers Club, etc. Like you said, if there were only 5 slots for BP, would any of these end up nominated? I doubt it.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, you guys are both totally right about the way BP has gone in recent years. The idea behind expanding the BP category was to allow more mainstream films to be nominated, which in turn would bring in a bigger audience to the telecast. That has seemed to backfire. Like you said, it's the smaller films that have wiggled their way in instead.

The few exceptions have been District 9, Inception, and Avatar. I guess you could consider films like Up and Toy Story 3 as films that probably wouldn't have gotten nominated if it wasn't for the expanded category.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Agreed. There's a certain type of film they go for and rarely go outside that. Just because it's horror movie, doesn't make it a bad movie.
    The academy is extremely rigid when it comes to genre. Something I find rather archaic considering how many films are blurring the lines between genres these days.

Take The Dark Knight for instance. A fantastic crime thriller that was expertly, and meticulously crafted, yet the academy decided to not give it any love since it was a "comic book movie".

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

True. I don't think they ever release any official stats on the subject, but from what I hear, Dark Knight was really close to getting a Best Picture nomination. I think they have to change in a bunch of ways actually.

There's no reason why Scarlett Johansson shouldn't receive more consideration for her voice work in Her. Don't even get me started how Andy Serkis should have been nominated for Lord of the Rings.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Get out.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

These are my favourites as I go along watching them all. Will probably change by oscar time. Only doing the awards I care to care about.

Best Picture: Her
    Best Director: Alfonso Cauron
    Best Actor: Christian Bale
    Best Actress: Amy Adams
    Best Original Screenplay: Her
    Best Cinematography: Gravity
    Best Film Editing: American Hustle
    Best Original Score: Her
    Best Original Song: Her
    Best Production Design: hHer
    Best Sound Editing: Gravity
    Best Sound Mixing: Gravity
    Best Visual Effect: Gravity

I do not think those last three will change in my predictions lol

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Best Picture Nominees:

“12 Years a Slave”
    “American Hustle”
    “Captain Phillips”
    “Dallas Buyers Club”
    “Gravity”
    “Her”
    “Nebraska”
    “Philomena”
    “The Wolf of Wall Street”

I need to view "Her" and Philomena"

Having not seen 2 of the movies, my favorite is "Gravity".
    My prediction (non-binding at this time) is "12 Years A Slave"

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I predict that Her/Gravity and American Hustle will be the big winners with 4-5 oscars each. Gravity will take technical oscars. American Hustle/Her I think are pick em odds for Production Design and Original Screenplay. American Hustle will get 1 or 2 acting Oscars. Predicting either Her or American Hustle will take best picture, though I have not seen the rest I just can't seem be that good. Even Gravity as great as it was wasn't as good. Captain Phillips tonight. Saving Marty for last. Also going to watch Before Sunrise/Sunset/Midnight since Before Midnight has an oscar nomination for Adapted Screenplay and I've put off watch them long enough as I hear they are amazing. Hopefully I can find some of the foreign film nominees but those are usually very difficult. Even amour was difficult and it had a best picture nomination.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

truly exceptional year: bears haven't seen any of the movies nominated in any of the categories

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    truly exceptional year: bears haven't seen any of the movies nominated in any of the categories

I'm gonna go with:

The nominees are in:

BEST PICTURE

“12 Years a Slave”
    “American Hustle”
    “Captain Phillips”
    “Dallas Buyers Club”
    “Gravity”
    “Her”
    “Nebraska”
    “Philomena”
    “The Wolf of Wall Street”

BEST DIRECTOR

David O. Russell, “American Hustle”
    Alfonso Cuaron, “Gravity”
    Alexander Payne, “Nebraska”
    Steve McQueen, “12 Years a Slave”
    Martin Scorsese, “The Wolf of Wall Street”

BEST ACTOR

Christian Bale, “American Hustle”
    Bruce Dern, “Nebraska”
    Leonardo DiCaprio, “The Wolf of Wall Street”
    Chiwetel Ejiofor, “12 Years a Slave”
    Matthew McConaughey, “Dallas Buyers Club”

BEST ACTRESS

Amy Adams, “American Hustle”
    Cate Blanchett, “Blue Jasmine”
    Sandra Bullock, “Gravity”
    Judi Dench, “Philomena”
    Meryl Streep, “August: Osage County”

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

“American Hustle” – Written by Eric Warren Singer and David O. Russell
    “Blue Jasmine” – Written by Woody Allen
    “Her” – Written by Spike Jonze
    “Nebraska” – Written by Bob Nelson
    “Dallas Buyers Club” – Written by Craig Borten & Melisa Wallack

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

“Before Midnight” – Written by Richard Linklater, Julie Delpy, Ethan Hawke
    “Captain Phillips” – Screenplay by Billy Ray
    “Philomena” – Screenplay by Steve Coogan and Jeff Pope
    “12 Years a Slave” – Screenplay by John Ridley
    “The Wolf of Wall Street” – Screenplay by Terence Winter

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Lupita Nyong’o, “12 Years a Slave”
    Jennifer Lawrence, “American Hustle”
    June Squibb, “Nebraska”
    Julia Roberts, “August: Osage County”
    Sally Hawkins, “Blue Jasmine”

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Barkhad Abdi, “Captain Phillips”
    Bradley Cooper, “American Hustle”
    Michael Fassbender, “12 Years a Slave”
    Jonah Hill, “The Wolf of Wall Street”
    Jared Leto, “Dallas Buyers Club”

BEST ANIMATED FILM

“The Croods”
    “Despicable Me 2”
    “Ernest & Celestine”
    “Frozen”
    “The Wind Rises”

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

“The Grandmaster”
    “Gravity”
    “Inside Llewyn Davis”
    “Nebraska”
    “Prisoners”

BEST COSTUME DESIGN

Michael Wilkinson, “American Hustle”
    William Chang Suk Ping, “The Grandmaster”
    Catherine Martin, “The Great Gatsby”
    Michael O’Connor, “The Invisible Woman”
    Patricia Norris, “12 Years a Slave”

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE

“The Act of Killing”Joshua Oppenheimer and Signe Byrge Sørensen
    “Cutie and the Boxer” Zachary Heinzerling and Lydia Dean Pilcher
    “Dirty Wars” Richard Rowley and Jeremy Scahill
    “The Square” Jehane Noujaim and Karim Amer
    “20 Feet from Stardom” Nominees to be determined

BEST DOCUMENTARY SHORT SUBJECT

“CaveDigger” Jeffrey Karoff
    “Facing Fear” Jason Cohen
    “Karama Has No Walls” Sara Ishaq
    “The Lady in Number 6: Music Saved My Life” Malcolm Clarke and Nicholas Reed
    “Prison Terminal: The Last Days of Private Jack Hall” Edgar Barens

BEST FILM EDITING

“American Hustle” Jay Cassidy, Crispin Struthers and Alan Baumgarten
    “Captain Phillips” Christopher Rouse
    “Dallas Buyers Club” John Mac McMurphy and Martin Pensa
    “Gravity” Alfonso Cuarón and Mark Sanger
    “12 Years a Slave” Joe Walker

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

“The Broken Circle Breakdown” Belgium
    “The Great Beauty” Italy
    “The Hunt” Denmark
    “The Missing Picture” Cambodia
    “Omar” Palestine

BEST MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING

“Dallas Buyers Club” Adruitha Lee and Robin Mathews
    “Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa” Stephen Prouty
    “The Lone Ranger” Joel Harlow and Gloria Pasqua-Casny

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE

John Williams, “The Book Thief”
    Steven Price, “Gravity”
    William Butler and Owen Pallett, “Her”
    Alexandre Desplat, “Philomena”
    Thomas Newman, “Saving Mr. Banks”

BEST ORIGINAL SONG

“Alone Yet Not Alone” from “Alone Yet Not Alone”
    Music by Bruce Broughton; Lyric by Dennis Spiegel

“Happy” from “Despicable Me 2”
    Music and Lyric by Pharrell Williams

“Let It Go” from “Frozen”
    Music and Lyric by Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez

“The Moon Song” from “Her”
    Music by Karen O; Lyric by Karen O and Spike Jonze

“Ordinary Love” from “Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom”
    Music by Paul Hewson, Dave Evans, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen; Lyric by Paul Hewson

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN

“American Hustle”
    Production Design: Judy Becker; Set Decoration: Heather Loeffler

“Gravity”
    Production Design: Andy Nicholson; Set Decoration: Rosie Goodwin and Joanne Woollard

“The Great Gatsby”
    Production Design: Catherine Martin; Set Decoration: Beverley Dunn

“Her”
    Production Design: K.K. Barrett; Set Decoration: Gene Serdena

“12 Years a Slave”
    Production Design: Adam Stockhausen; Set Decoration: Alice Baker

BEST ANIMATED SHORT FILM

“Feral” Daniel Sousa and Dan Golden
    “Get a Horse!” Lauren MacMullan and Dorothy McKim
    “Mr. Hublot” Laurent Witz and Alexandre Espigares
    “Possessions” Shuhei Morita
    “Room on the Broom” Max Lang and Jan Lachauer

BEST LIVE ACTION SHORT FILM

“Aquel No Era Yo (That Wasn’t Me)” Esteban Crespo
    “Avant Que De Tout Perdre (Just before Losing Everything)” Xavier Legrand and Alexandre Gavras
    “Helium” Anders Walter and Kim Magnusson
    “Pitääkö Mun Kaikki Hoitaa? (Do I Have to Take Care of Everything?)” Selma Vilhunen and Kirsikka Saari
    “The Voorman Problem” Mark Gill and Baldwin Li

BEST SOUND EDITING

“All Is Lost” Steve Boeddeker and Richard Hymns
    “Captain Phillips” Oliver Tarney
    “Gravity” Glenn Freemantle
    “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug” Brent Burge
    “Lone Survivor” Wylie Stateman

BEST SOUND MIXING

“Captain Phillips” Chris Burdon, Mark Taylor, Mike Prestwood Smith and Chris Munro
    “Gravity” Skip Lievsay, Niv Adiri, Christopher Benstead and Chris Munro
    “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug” Christopher Boyes, Michael Hedges, Michael Semanick and Tony Johnson
    “Inside Llewyn Davis” Skip Lievsay, Greg Orloff and Peter F. Kurland
    “Lone Survivor” Andy Koyama, Beau Borders and David Brownlow

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS

“Gravity” Tim Webber, Chris Lawrence, Dave Shirk and Neil Corbould
    “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug” Joe Letteri, Eric Saindon, David Clayton and Eric Reynolds
    “Iron Man 3” Christopher Townsend, Guy Williams, Erik Nash and Dan Sudick
    “The Lone Ranger” Tim Alexander, Gary Brozenich, Edson Williams and John Frazier
    “Star Trek Into Darkness” Roger Guyett, Patrick Tubach, Ben Grossmann and Burt Dalton
    Tiebreaker: Gravity (4)

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

BEST PICTURE

“12 Years a Slave”

BEST DIRECTOR
    Steve McQueen, “12 Years a Slave”

BEST ACTOR

Leonardo DiCaprio, “The Wolf of Wall Street”

BEST ACTRESS

Amy Adams, “American Hustle”

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

“American Hustle” – Written by Eric Warren Singer and David O. Russell

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
    “Philomena” – Screenplay by Steve Coogan and Jeff Pope

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Jennifer Lawrence, “American Hustle”

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
    Jared Leto, “Dallas Buyers Club”

BEST ANIMATED FILM
    “The Wind Rises”

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

“Nebraska”

BEST COSTUME DESIGN
    William Chang Suk Ping, “The Grandmaster”

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE

“Dirty Wars” Richard Rowley and Jeremy Scahill

“CaveDigger” Jeffrey Karoff

BEST FILM EDITIN
    “Dallas Buyers Club” John Mac McMurphy and Martin Pensa

“Omar” Palestine

“The Lone Ranger” Joel Harlow and Gloria Pasqua-Casny

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
    Alexandre Desplat, “Philomena”

BEST ORIGINAL SONG

“Happy” from “Despicable Me 2”
    Music and Lyric by Pharrell Williams

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN

“The Great Gatsby”
    Production Design: Catherine Martin; Set Decoration: Beverley Dunn

BEST ANIMATED SHORT FILM
    “Room on the Broom” Max Lang and Jan Lachauer

“Helium” Anders Walter and Kim Magnusson

BEST SOUND EDITING
    “Gravity” Glenn Freemantle

BEST SOUND MIXING

“The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug” Christopher Boyes, Michael Hedges, Michael Semanick and Tony Johnson

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS

“Gravity” Tim Webber, Chris Lawrence, Dave Shirk and Neil Corbould

tie breaker: American Hustle” 3

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, since some people are already posting their Oscar predictions, I guess now would be a good time to post the official rules. I also ask the Mods to change the name of the thread to "The Official 2014 Oscar Contest Thread." Thank you.

This is the fifth year I'm running the Oscar contest. We had 7 participants last year, which is good, but we can do better. I'm hoping to build on that this year. Don't forget to tell your other DT.org friends to come on over and submit their predictions. All are welcome. We always have a lot of fun predicting the winners and seeing who comes out on top. It's just for fun.

IMPORTANT: Don't forget the tie breaker. It's simple: Basically, everybody will submit their choices like usual, except they will also add which film they think will win the most Oscars and give a number. In case of a tie, who ever has the closest number without going over is the winner.

Predictions have to be in by showtime, so there is no rush to post them. We still have a few months until Oscar night. I myself will be waiting for the last possible moment to post my predictions. I still have films to watch, buzz to follow and articles to read.

Remember, these are just educated guesses. None of us have seen every film nominated and I doubt if anybody has seen any of the documentary short subject nominees. Just make an educated guess. Or an uneducated guess. For those of you who have access to time machines or have the ability to alter time and space, you will not be allowed to participate in this contest. Fuck you time traveler.

Good luck and have fun.

Past results:

2010 results
    Heather - 15
    Servant - 14
    Turtlex - 14
    Cody - 8
    Seymour - 8
    Odetta - 4

2011 results
    Heather - 17
    Servant - 15
    Path - 14
    Mattrick - 14
    Ricky - 12
    Merlin - 11
    Feev - 8

2012 results
    Servant - 14
    Heather - 14
    Ricky - 14
    Stockerlone - 12
    Shannon - 11
    Thorin- 10
    Mattrick - 9
    Feev - 8
    Garrell - 8
    Odetta - 5
    Mystima - 4

2013 results
    Heather - 20
    Servant - 17
    Ricky - 15
    Matt - 14
    Stockerlone - 13
    Feev - 12
    Pablo - 10

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Thank you Pablo and Stockerlone for your submissions. When you guys get the chance, just post which film you think will walk away with the most wins.

Pablo, don't forget to choose a winner for both Best Live Short and Best Documentary Short categories. Just make a guess. Can't hurt.

Also, you guys can make changes to all your choices right up until showtime.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I've got to alter my strategy and not take a few dark horses but at the same time, I took Ang Lee last year and I doubt many people did and he won. I just can't go againt a sure, sure bet like I did with Day-Lewis last year. I'm great at picking things like Production Design, Cinematography and Editing but sometimes the acting ones can be so subjective it's hard for me not to pick my favourite and think like the Academy.

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

BEST PICTURE
    12 Years a Slave

BEST DIRECTOR
    Steve McQueen, 12 Years a Slave

BEST ACTOR
    Chiwetel Ejiofor, 12 Years a Slave

BEST ACTRESS
    Judi Dench, “Philomena”

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
    Her – Written by Spike Jonze

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
    12 Years a Slave – Screenplay by John Ridley

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
    Lupita Nyong’o, 12 Years a Slave

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
    Barkhad Abdi, “Captain Phillips”

BEST ANIMATED FILM
    “Frozen”

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
    “Gravity”

BEST COSTUME DESIGN
    Patricia Norris, “12 Years a Slave”

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
    Dirty Wars- Richard Rowley and Jeremy Scahill

Karama Has No Walls- Sara Ishaq

BEST FILM EDITING
    Gravity- Alfonso Cuarón and Mark Sanger

“The Hunt” Denmark

Dallas Buyers Club- Adruitha Lee and Robin Mathews

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
    John Williams, “The Book Thief”

BEST ORIGINAL SONG
    “Let It Go” from “Frozen”
    Music and Lyric by Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN
    Gravity
    Production Design: Andy Nicholson; Set Decoration: Rosie Goodwin and Joanne Woollard

BEST ANIMATED SHORT FILM
    Feral- Daniel Sousa and Dan Golden

Helium- Anders Walter and Kim Magnusson

BEST SOUND EDITING
    The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug- Brent Burge

BEST SOUND MIXING
    The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug- Christopher Boyes, Michael Hedges, Michael Semanick and Tony Johnson

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
    The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug- Joe Letteri, Eric Saindon, David Clayton and Eric Reynolds

Does whatever a spiderman does.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast