Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 100 Novels of All Time - General Discussion

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Nominated Homers The ILIAS
    Donīt know its ok to call a novel... its more a masterpiese of literature.

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll second The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, The Road and Ender's Game.

and nominate The Sword of Truth sereis, by Terry Goodkind.
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Stockerlone View Post
    I don't think it is a novel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stebbins View Post
    Hahaha. I'm a stickler for semantics, friend.
    You're not sticking up for a semantic interpretation right now: you're just stuck on one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stebbins View Post
    when real writers die young into their careers-- I'm thinking specifically off hand about Dickinson-- they are praised for how prodigious they were and how raw the talent had been.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retrospective_determinism

I have much more to add on this thread, but no time at the moment. I'm glad to see that it's been so active.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

2nded

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

2nded

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nominate The Bonfire of the Vanities

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Nominate: The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nominate: Zenna Henderson's "Pilgrimage: The Book of the People"

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Second Jurassic Park and Alice in Wonderland, and even though I've not yet read the entire series, I will second Harry Potter.
    Sloth Love Chunk

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

:!: Attention Please: Series vs. Novels

Quote Originally Posted by fearless-freak View Post
    The Earthsea tales by Ursula K LeGuin
    I am not sure they can be considered a multi-volume novel rather than a series of separate novels. I would like someone to clarify this for me.

I have the same reservations about Updike's Rabbit novels and Ender's Game.

What I mean is: you can't read Song of Susannah or Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire without reading the previous five, it wouldn't make any sense. TDT and HP are, for all intents and purposes, very long novels, published in instalments. On the other hand, The Talisman and Black House are separate novels, and so are, for example, It and 22/11/63, or Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn.

In case you convince me that Earsea can be counted it, I am keeping track of the secondings: CRinVa

The same way, for now I suspend The Sword of Truth nomination.

If there's a universal consent that the novels constituting the above series cannot be read separately, but must be read back to back from the first page to the last, I'll include them and the other series in question (or keep them, if they are already on the list). If not, I'll have to exclude them. We have to draw the line somewhere; a novel is a novel.
    Last edited by Jean; 07-30-2013 at 11:25 AM. Reason: readability

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I will second Robinson Crusoe.

Rabid Billybumbler fearless-freak will become famous soon enough fearless-freak will become famous soon enough fearless-freak's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

technically its called The Earthsea Quartet or at least the copy i own is called that

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthse...Earthsea_canon

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

No, Iliad isn't acceptable, it's a poem.

Talking about women writers, I wonder if someone will ever nominate Gone with the Wind? I will, if nobody else does.

So far, I am nominating Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe.

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Something changed. I didn't second before nominating Robinson Crusoe.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Something changed. I didn't second before nominating Robinson Crusoe.
    It's alright, I was editing my posts for the sake of readability. I've counted your seconding in, will post the updates in a second

Country
    Country Flag

Default Updates

1984 9
    20,000 Leagues Under The Sea 4
    Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, The 8
    Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (and Through the Looking-Glass) 4
    All Quiet on The Western Front 2
    American Psycho 1
    American Tragedy, An 1
    Andromeda Strain, The 4
    Animal Farm 4
    Ball and the Cross, The 0
    Battlefield Earth 1
    Battle Royale 0
    Beloved 0
    Black Water 1
    Bonfire of the Vanities, The 0
    Brave New World 2
    Breakfast of Champions 1
    Candide 4
    Carrion Comfort 1
    Castle, The 2
    Catch-22 4
    Catcher in the Rye, The 7
    Charlotte's Web 3
    Children of Men 0
    Clockwork Orange, A 3
    Cloud Atlas 1
    Count of Monte Cristo, The 2
    Crime and Punishment 4
    Dark Tower, The 9
    David Copperfield 3
    Da Vinci Code, The 2
    Don Quixote 3
    Dracula 5
    Dragonriders of Pern 0
    Dune 1
    East of Eden 1
    Ender’s Game 1
    Everything is Illuminated 1
    Exorcist, The 6
    Fahrenheit 451 8
    Fight Club 4
    Finnegan's Wake 0
    Foundation 1
    Frankenstein 2
    Geek Love 0
    Ghost Story 3
    Glass Bead Game, The 3
    Great Gatsby, The 0
    Gulliver's Travels 4
    Harry Potter 5
    Haunting of Hill House, The 3
    Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, The 4
    I Am Legend 5
    Interview With The Vampire 2
    It 7
    Jane Eyre 3
    Jaws 0
    Journey to the Center of the Earth 2
    Jurassic Park 2
    Karamazov Brothers, The 1
    Kim 2
    Little Women 1
    Lolita 4
    Long Walk, The 4
    Lord Of The Flies 10
    Lord of the Rings 6
    Lost World, The 3
    Lucky Jim 0
    Man in the High Castle, The 0
    Master and Margarita, The 0
    Monk, The 0
    Moon Is A Harsh Mistress, The 0
    Musashi 0
    Northanger Abbey 3
    Notes From Underground 0
    Of Mice and Men 5
    Old Man and the Sea, The 0
    Old Yeller 0
    One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest 4
    On the Beach 0
    On the Road 0
    Out of the Silent Planet 0
    Outsiders, The 4
    Pilgrimage: The Book of the People 0
    Portnoy's Complaint 0
    Princess Bride, The 0
    Psycho 2
    Rabbit Series 0
    Ready Player One 0
    Road, The 4
    Robinson Crusoe 1
    Room 0
    Rosemary's Baby 2
    Scarlet Letter, The 3
    Silence of the Lambs, The 2
    Simple Plan, A 0
    Shining, The 4
    Slaughterhouse-Five 3
    Song of Ice and Fire, A 4
    Sound and the Fury, The 0
    Stand, The 9
    Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde 5
    Stranger, The 2
    Strangers on a Train 1
    Taiko 0
    Terror, The 3
    Thief of Always, The 2
    To Kill a Mockingbird 13
    Treasure Island 6
    Trial, The 1
    Turn of the Screw, The 3
    War and Peace 1
    War of the Worlds 2
    Water for Elephants 0
    We 1
    Where the Red Fern Grows 1
    Wind-Up Bird Chronicle 0
    Wuthering Heights 3

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I am not sure they can be considered a multi-volume novel rather than a series of separate novels. I would like someone to clarify this for me.

What I mean is: you can't read Song of Susannah or Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire without reading the previous five, it wouldn't make any sense. TDT and HP are, for all intents and purposes, very long novels, published in instalments. On the other hand, The Talisman and Black House are separate novels, and so are, for example, It and 22/11/63, or Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn.

In case you convince me that Earsea can be counted it, I am keeping track of the secondings: CRinVa

If there's a universal consent that the novels constituting the above series cannot be read separately, but must be read back to back from the first page to the last, I'll include them and the other series in question (or keep them, if they are already on the list). If not, I'll have to exclude them. We have to draw the line somewhere; a novel is a novel.
    Ender's Game is the only one that I've actually read in the series but it works as a stand-alone novel IMHO.

Based on what I've read on Wikipedia, the sequels are a lot like The Talisman/Black House and The Shining/Dr Sleep relationships. They come much later on in the main character's life and aren't necessarily required to understand the story.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Rabid Billybumbler fearless-freak will become famous soon enough fearless-freak will become famous soon enough fearless-freak's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Broken Sword by Poul Anderson

it's considered an obscure book and it predates The Lord of The Rings

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post

You'd also have to look then at Dune, Dragonriders of Pern, and even The Foundation. Plus, The Hobbit competes with Lord of the Rings. I think it's too complicated, and a little late, to institute this fairly. Earthsea may be separate stories, but I'd recommend all of them. And, otherwise, why can't we vote for our favorite volume of Harry Potter anyway, and get down into every other complicated distraction? Remember how we counted Black Adder as one series for simplicity's sake in the TV tournament?

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I've enjoyed Anderson, but almost nothing really predates Tolkien, in "Fantasy" except for "Beowulf" and some standard legendary stories, like Grimm and Greek tales for example, no?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

You mean "The Illiad"????? by Homer?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Iliad and Ilias are both correct transliterations from the Greek Ἰλιάς. Two l's ("The Illiad") is non-standard.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Iliad and Ilias are both correct transliterations from the Greek Ἰλιάς. Two l's ("The Illiad") is non-standard.
    My bad! So, my education was a total "miss" lol lol lol J/K!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Nominate Something Wicked This Way Comes.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Country
    Country Flag

I've enjoyed Anderson, but almost nothing really predates Tolkien, in "Fantasy" except for "Beowulf" and some standard legendary stories, like Grimm and Greek tales for example, no?
    my copy is a 1977 reprint with a foreword by Lin Carter though The Broken Sword and Fellowship were released around the same time Sword has fallen into obscurity, i do agree with what you said but a lot of fantasy pre and post Tolkien has fallen into obscurity

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast