Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 100 Novels of All Time - General Discussion

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stockerlone View Post
    I'll nominate one of my fav. books from Japan Musashi from the amazing Eiji Yoshikawa.
    the list of books I must read asap is growing...
    More stuff from Japan.
    I also must nominate Taiko, an other opus from Eiji Yoshikawa.

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

I would like to cast my votes for:

Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
    Catcher In the Rye
    Dark Tower
    Exorcist
    Farenheit 451
    Harry Potter
    I Am Legend
    It
    Lord of the Flies
    Lord of the Rings
    Song of Ice and Fire
    Stand
    To Kill a Mockingbird

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll nominate Dune by Frank Herbert and second

Harry Potter
    Lord of the Flies
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    The Dark Tower
    The Stand
    The Adventures of Huck Finn
    Lord of the Rings
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Gunslinger Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I wouldn't say night and day, but different and I hope they are separate.
    Okay, how 'bout rain and sunshine?

Sorry, haven't been on here (or at least in this thread) in a few days.

Path: I would say yes. But The Long Walk is still my favorite book by King out of the forty-something I've read.

It is a good point though; I doubt I would have given it a try if I didn't know it was a King. Although to follow that with a rebuttal of the point: If I didn't know it was King, then Bachman wouldn't have been exposed, and he would have a lot more works under that pseudonym. Practice makes perfect and one could argue that Richard was just getting started.

I'll add one to The Harry Potter series's tally.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

One could argue that Richard was just getting started, but if he was real then he really could have died. It happens. But that's still taking the point too literally: all I really meant to say was, No way is that in the same league as It and The Stand.

Gunslinger Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hahaha. I'm a stickler for semantics, friend. Fair point, but when real writers die young into their careers-- I'm thinking specifically off hand about Dickinson-- they are praised for how prodigious they were and how raw the talent had been. I think The Long Walk stands up to The Stand just fine, and blows by It. I'm a minimalist though.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

OMG!!! You did not just say, "I'm a stickler for semantics, friend" to, Path now did you? Not too soon to retract. He is not "online" at the moment. Else, here we go!!! LOL LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

Lol. Oh, I know what I've done, Bill. Path and I have some good banter back-and-forth, in my opinion at least. Because we both enjoy rhetoric, argument, and have differing opinions--and enough education about all three not to take it seriously.

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stebbins View Post
    -- I'm thinking specifically off hand about Dickinson-- they are praised for how prodigious they were and how raw the talent had been.
    Dickinson, as in Emily?
    Just for the record, Miss Emily died at age 55, which may seem young by our standards, but was in fact a fairly ripe old age in the late 1800s. Also, most of her poetry was published after her passing.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Nominations
    On the Beach Nevil Shute
    The Wonderful Wizard of Oz L. Frank Baum.
    Sometimes A Great Notion Ken Kesey

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Second: Dune, Cloud Atlas, To Kill A Mockingbird, Fahrenheit 451

Nominate: Asimov's Foundation Trilogy

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post
    Nominations
    On the Beach Nevil Shute
    The Wonderful Wizard of Oz L. Frank Baum.
    Sometimes A Great Notion Ken Kesey
    one nomination per post!! I added On the Beach, but not the other two

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Updates

1984 9
    20,000 Leagues Under The Sea 4
    Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, The 8
    All Quiet on The Western Front 2
    American Psycho 1
    American Tragedy, An 1
    Andromeda Strain, The 4
    Animal Farm 4
    Ball and the Cross, The 0
    Battlefield Earth 1
    Battle Royale 0
    Beloved 0
    Brave New World 2
    Breakfast of Champions 1
    Candide 4
    Carrion Comfort 1
    Castle, The 2
    Catch-22 4
    Catcher in the Rye, The 7
    Charlotte's Web 3
    Children of Men 0
    Clockwork Orange, A 3
    Cloud Atlas 1
    Count of Monte Cristo, The 2
    Crime and Punishment 4
    Dark Tower, The 9
    David Copperfield 3
    Da Vinci Code, The 2
    Don Quixote 3
    Dracula 5
    Dragonriders of Pern 0
    Dune 1
    East of Eden 1
    Ender’s Game 0
    Everything is Illuminated 1
    Exorcist, The 6
    Fahrenheit 451 8
    Fight Club 4
    Finnegan's Wake 0
    Foundation 0
    Frankenstein 2
    Geek Love 0
    Ghost Story 3
    Glass Bead Game, The 3
    Gulliver's Travels 4
    Harry Potter 4
    Haunting of Hill House, The 3
    Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, The 3
    I Am Legend 5
    Interview With The Vampire 2
    It 7
    Jane Eyre 3
    Jaws 0
    Journey to the Center of the Earth 2
    Jurassic Park 1
    Karamazov Brothers, The 1
    Kim 2
    Little Women 1
    Lolita 4
    Long Walk, The 4
    Lord Of The Flies 10
    Lord of the Rings 6
    Lost World, The 3
    Lucky Jim 0
    Man in the High Castle, The 0
    Master and Margarita, The 0
    Monk, The 0
    Moon Is A Harsh Mistress, The 0
    Musashi 0
    Northanger Abbey 3
    Notes From Underground 0
    Of Mice and Men 5
    Old Man and the Sea, The 0
    Old Yeller 0
    One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest 4
    On the Beach 0
    On the Road 0
    Outsiders, The 4
    Portnoy's Complaint 0
    Princess Bride, The 0
    Psycho 2
    Rabbit Series 0
    Ready Player One 0
    Road, The 3
    Room 0
    Rosemary's Baby 2
    Scarlet Letter, The 3
    Silence of the Lambs, The 2
    Simple Plan, A 0
    Shining, The 4
    Slaughterhouse-Five 3
    Song of Ice and Fire, A 4
    Sound and the Fury, The 0
    Stand, The 9
    Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde 5
    Stranger, The 2
    Taiko 0
    Terror, The 3
    Thief of Always, The 2
    To Kill a Mockingbird 13
    Treasure Island 6
    Trial, The 1
    Turn of the Screw, The 3
    War and Peace 1
    War of the Worlds 2
    We 1
    Where the Red Fern Grows 1
    Wind-Up Bird Chronicle 0
    Wuthering Heights 3

Country
    Country Flag

Our leaders by the end of the second week:

To Kill a Mockingbird 13
    Lord Of The Flies 10
    1984 9
    Dark Tower, The 9
    Stand, The 9
    Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, The 8
    Fahrenheit 451 8
    Catcher in the Rye, The 7
    It 7
    Exorcist, The 6
    Lord of the Rings 6
    Treasure Island 6
    Dracula 5
    I Am Legend 5
    Of Mice and Men 5
    Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde 5

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I'll nominate Jurassic Park.

Also we need more seconds for IT, and The Long Walk please

When are you going to second "Jaws"???? LOL LOL
    I still haven't read the book

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    One could argue that Richard was just getting started, but if he was real then he really could have died. It happens. But that's still taking the point too literally: all I really meant to say was, No way is that in the same league as It and The Stand.
    The Long Walk is my second favorite book by King (right behind It), and easily one of my favorites of all time. So I'd definitely say it ranks up there. It might be shorter, but it's still a powerful story in my opinion.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Need more women writers. How about Joyce Carol Oates and Patricia Highsmith, nothing seems to be nominated from them?

Country
    Country Flag

bears nominate Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (and Through the Looking-Glass) by Lewis Carroll

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Ender’s Game 0
    This really surprises me.

bears nominate Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (and Through the Looking-Glass) by Lewis Carroll
    I wondered if those books would be nominated. I couldn't do it myself since I've never read them.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Rabid Billybumbler fearless-freak will become famous soon enough fearless-freak will become famous soon enough fearless-freak's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Earthsea tales by Ursula K LeGuin

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

In response to the need for more women I nominate Black Water by Joyce Carol Oates - the tale of Kennedy and Chappaquiddick, as told from the point of view of the female passenger as she drowns. Unforgettable.

Still no love for Geek Love? Has anyone else read this circus freak classic?

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I'll second

and nominate Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    Still no love for Geek Love? Has anyone else read this circus freak classic?
    no, alas, bears haven't yet! will try to do so before the game is over

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    Second: Dune, Cloud Atlas, To Kill A Mockingbird, Fahrenheit 451

Nominate: Asimov's Foundation Trilogy
    I'll second that!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll second the Earthsea tales by leguin

and nominate the CS Lewis Out of the Silent Planet Trilogy
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Alice and Black Water seconded. Strangers of a Train nominated.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast