Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 279 of 462 FirstFirst ... 179 229 269 277 278 279 280 281 289 329 379 ... LastLast
Results 6,951 to 6,975 of 11535

Thread: The eBay BS Game: Questionable items, Stephen King signatures, sellers

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

My opinion is that you leave the book as is and add a DJ. I do not like the idea of cutting it out and adding the signature as a book plate to another copy of IT. That is just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by jonahwriter View Post
    ...if you were me would you cover this book with a dustjacket and keep it as is? Or would you cut out the signature and paste it into a nicer edition of IT?

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

[QUOTE=ap275;846104]
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    Anyone find this packaging acceptable? One layer of bubblewrap (that didn't actually even cover 100% of the book), and in a box that's just enough bigger than the book that it can rattle around in it nicely (air bags top and bottom, but nothing on the sides/corners).

Book should not rattle in the box, especially with just one layer of bubblewrap, IMO.
    I always think about my Knowing Darkness... The clever seller send it
    absolut unwrapped in an box... The damaged box arrived and....
    surprise... my Knowing Darkness was OK !!!

Gunslinger Apprentice jonahwriter is on a distinguished road jonahwriter's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    My opinion is that you leave the book as is and add a DJ. I do not like the idea of cutting it out and adding the signature as a book plate to another copy of IT. That is just my two cents.

...if you were me would you cover this book with a dustjacket and keep it as is? Or would you cut out the signature and paste it into a nicer edition of IT?
    I think you're right Ben. I hope this is a first edition, despite the damage, I won't know until it arrives. Probably the cheapest way to get a copy of IT signed...

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Just won this item on ebay. Signature looks genuine but before I pay thought I'd double-check with you guys.

Also, assuming sig is indeed genuine, if you were me would you cover this book with a dustjacket and keep it as is? Or would you cut out the signature and paste it into a nicer edition of IT?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Signed-Inscr...vip=true&rt=nc
    I like the signature.

It looks like it is signed on the FFEP. Probably best to leave it in that book.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Just find a dust jacket. DON'T cut the page out.

John

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

The book looks water damaged on the lower part of the pages. If the page where the signature is, also is damaged, there would be no sense in removing it.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post

John
    I agree with John and the others. Do not cut. If you do cut, do not paste it anywhere, just lay it in loose.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post

John
    I agree with John and the others. Do not cut. If you do cut, do not paste it anywhere, just lay it in loose.
    "Cut or Cut not. There is no Paste" - Yoda
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Gunslinger Apprentice jonahwriter is on a distinguished road jonahwriter's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

I got a bit bid happy on it. So at first when I won it, I was like "oh shit, do I really want this?" But I always pay when I win even if I feel "meh". Now I've decided to cover it in a DJ. I won't cut/paste or otherwise mutilate.

Do you guys think $105 was good for this? it's inscribed on the ffep and the book is not in good condition. I don't know yet if it's a 1st or not. I already own a BCE in perfect condition and a 1st in "good" condition so depending how this one is when it comes, and if it's a 1st, I'll cover it in a DJ (probably from the BCE edition).

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I got a bit bid happy on it. So at first when I won it, I was like "oh shit, do I really want this?" But I always pay when I win even if I feel "meh". Now I've decided to cover it in a DJ. I won't cut/paste or otherwise mutilate.

Do you guys think $105 was good for this? it's inscribed on the ffep and the book is not in good condition. I don't know yet if it's a 1st or not. I already own a BCE in perfect condition and a 1st in "good" condition so depending how this one is when it comes, and if it's a 1st, I'll cover it in a DJ (probably from the BCE edition).
    I think you did okay regardless of edition.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post

John
    "Cut or Cut not. There is no Paste" - Yoda
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Breezy

I won't cut IT but are there ever times when cutting/pasting IS acceptable to a collector?

For example, what about this signed Stand paperback on eBay? The sig is good, the little logo of good/evil is great, the book doesn't look anything special. Wouldn't this make a nice bookplate in a 1st or early hardback of "The Stand"?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121326117717...84.m1426.l2649

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I won't cut IT but are there ever times when cutting/pasting IS acceptable to a collector?

For example, what about this signed Stand paperback on eBay? The sig is good, the little logo of good/evil is great, the book doesn't look anything special. Wouldn't this make a nice bookplate in a 1st or early hardback of "The Stand"?

No. Not to me...
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Breezy

I guess cutting anything from any book is defacing it and that would sit with me as wrong. I've never done it myself for the record, I was just wondering what people think. I'd find it hard to deface a book even though I have thought about doing it in and been tempted to in instances like this, my natural instinct usually is to fix/repair the book as best I can, regardless of the book. Just wondering if some collectors do cut nice signatures from poor condition books and paste them into nicer editions. I know there was a really poor condition (and I mean really poor) of "The Stand" that sold on ebay recently - I imagine whoever won it cut out the sig or else got the book totally rebound.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I guess cutting anything from any book is defacing it and that would sit with me as wrong. I've never done it myself for the record, I was just wondering what people think. I'd find it hard to deface a book even though I have thought about doing it in and been tempted to in instances like this, my natural instinct usually is to fix/repair the book as best I can, regardless of the book. Just wondering if some collectors do cut nice signatures from poor condition books and paste them into nicer editions. I know there was a really poor condition (and I mean really poor) of "The Stand" that sold on ebay recently - I imagine whoever won it cut out the sig or else got the book totally rebound.
    I agree. It just goes against what I feel is right.

John

Gunslinger Apprentice MandaBunny will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

I'd rather have a shoddy copy with a signature than a cut and paste job. The condition of the book shows a history (though I may not personally know that history) and I'd rather have that intact rather than trying to piece together parts from different books.

Country
    Country Flag

I suggested exactly that for this book. The book isn't collectible. The signature is. In this case I think I would use the half-title page as a bookplate laid in, unpasted, to a collectible copy of The Stand. If both the signed bookplate and the signed book were at auction the bookplate would bring every bit as much as the book.

If the book itself was at all collectible I would leave it be.

Gunslinger Apprentice Papaseraphim will become famous soon enough Papaseraphim will become famous soon enough Papaseraphim's Avatar

Two things:

1. The King signature makes the paperback collectible. It is something that ads value to the book even though it's not a first edition. That's why people want King to sign their books.

2. I don't like the idea of vandalizing one book to make a profit. There are stories of book dealers breaking apart copies of the Gutenberg Bible or Shakespeare's First Folio to see the individual pages for more profit.

Just my personal opinion.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post

I suggested exactly that for this book. The book isn't collectible. The signature is. In this case I think I would use the half-title page as a bookplate laid in, unpasted, to a collectible copy of The Stand. If both the signed bookplate and the signed book were at auction the bookplate would bring every bit as much as the book.

If the book itself was at all collectible I would leave it be.
    The absence of a thing, this can be as deadly as the presence. The absence of air, eh?
    The absence of water? The absence of anything else we're addicted to.

- Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Papaseraphim View Post
    Two things:

1. The King signature makes the paperback collectible. It is something that ads value to the book even though it's not a first edition. That's why people want King to sign their books.

2. I don't like the idea of vandalizing one book to make a profit. There are stories of book dealers breaking apart copies of the Gutenberg Bible or Shakespeare's First Folio to see the individual pages for more profit.

Just my personal opinion.

Nick
    The King signature is the only thing about the book that is valuable other than as a reading copy. If I happened to have King sign the book myself then it would have an emotional value as well as a monetary value. If I bought it on eBay then not so much. I just happen to think it would be more cool as a bookplate.

I understand why a person wouldn't want to "vandalize" a book. I agree within reason.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I think the page could be removed and integrated into a piece of art relative to "The Stand".
    It's not "vandalism" to remove a page from a book you own.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post

I think the page could be removed and integrated into a piece of art relative to "The Stand".
    It's not "vandalism" to remove a page from a book you own.
    I'd see that as "value added" rather than vandalism.

Gunslinger Apprentice uturn83 will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Cheerful

Hey Guys!
    New to the forum. Seems to be a number of Sarasota signings for Doctor Sleep on ebay, most with the numbered ticket to get the book signed. Thoughts on this one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/161289784677...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    Thanks

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by uturn83 View Post
    Hey Guys!
    New to the forum. Seems to be a number of Sarasota signings for Doctor Sleep on ebay, most with the numbered ticket to get the book signed. Thoughts on this one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/161289784677...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    Thanks
    Welcome, hope you stick around, it's a great place.

OK...your question.....it's hard to tell because of no close-up of picture. But more important, the seller mentions "COA with matching hologram on book". That sticker takes away from value and COA guarantees aren't worth the paper printed on. I would recommend purchasing from someone on this website, it won't have a sticker effecting value and you will know for sure it's the real deal.

Hope the above helps

Ralph Mulleins
    I'm the caretaker of Room 217..............I've always been the caretaker of Room 217

Gunslinger Apprentice uturn83 will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Cheerful

Thanks! Forgive the dumb question, but as I look at the different subforums, is there a 'Sell/Trade' subforum? Thanks again!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by uturn83 View Post
    Hey Guys!
    Thanks
    The "proof" photo signature doesn't match the finished signature.

If for no other reason I wouldn't buy it. The COA is another reason. It adds nothing. It only detracts from value.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 279 of 462 FirstFirst ... 179 229 269 277 278 279 280 281 289 329 379 ... LastLast