Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Worst S/L or Collectible Item Ever?

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by JasonUK View Post
    It is unfair to compare this book to a true limited edition. When buying it on the secondary market, I think it should be treated more like a flat-signed 1st edition than a limited. The main difference is that you know the signature is authentic.

Jason
    I disagree. It is a "true" limited edition. Each individual book has a specific number assigned by the publisher. I would say that qualifies it as a signed/limited.

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ELazansky View Post
    I guess the worst s/l I own is the Bag of Bones UK edition. A first edition trade with the s/l bookplate attached. Still happy to have it, but it is extremely boring.
    Hi, longtime lurker here, just breaking cover to say I think this is a bit harsh. As you correctly say, it is a trade edition with a signed bookplate. Here is the description from www.stephenkingcollector.com

"When SK went to England for a book tour he signed 2,000 bookplates that H&S pasted onto their 1st trade edition. Thus creating a limited edition (of sorts)."

However, it should be noted that (as far as I'm aware) the publisher never touted this as being a separate limited edition, and, most importantly, it was sold for the same price as the trade edition. It was only available at 1 or 2 events on the tour and was a bonus for people who had bought tickets to see Mr King.

It is unfair to compare this book to a true limited edition. When buying it on the secondary market, I think it should be treated more like a flat-signed 1st edition than a limited. The main difference is that you know the signature is authentic.

Jason
    It may be harsh, but it is considered a true S/L edition, and compared to other S/L editions I own like Skeleton Crew, I consider it my "worst."

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by ELazansky View Post
    I guess the worst s/l I own is the Bag of Bones UK edition. A first edition trade with the s/l bookplate attached. Still happy to have it, but it is extremely boring.
    Hi, longtime lurker here, just breaking cover to say I think this is a bit harsh. As you correctly say, it is a trade edition with a signed bookplate. Here is the description from www.stephenkingcollector.com

"When SK went to England for a book tour he signed 2,000 bookplates that H&S pasted onto their 1st trade edition. Thus creating a limited edition (of sorts)."

However, it should be noted that (as far as I'm aware) the publisher never touted this as being a separate limited edition, and, most importantly, it was sold for the same price as the trade edition. It was only available at 1 or 2 events on the tour and was a bonus for people who had bought tickets to see Mr King.

Jason
    I think that this is an excellent point. One must consider the circumstances surrounding the publication or issuance of a book when passing judgment. If you or I had bought one of these at the price of a trade edition at the King event it may very well be one of our favorite editions. But for those of us who paid a hundred or so dollars for a copy on the secondary market we are not very impressed with our purchase.

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned the S/L edition of CUJO as a bad example of S/Ls. But it has a deluxe binding, slipcase and a specific limitation/signature page. And, IIRC, it sold for only about $60 when issued. King was soaring in popularity at the time and this book was a bargain at the time. Now if some collector plunks down $500 to $800 for a copy expecting to get something the quality of a lettered THE REGULATORS or something it is natural that they will be disappointed.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I was the one who listed the s/l Cujo as one of the worst. Initial price of the volume was $75 (still a bargain, even back in 1981) but the production values were just not that great. No illustrations, an acetate dust jacket, etc. just aren't that great.

John

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Danse Macabre isn't the worst, but it is rather bland.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I don't collect King S/Ls but of course I do admire most of them - and some, not so much. To me, the most boring S/Ls are the lettered editions that are completely identical to the numbered ones, except that they have letters instead of numbers on the limitation page.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    True!

John

Citizen of Gilead thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    I don't collect King S/Ls but of course I do admire most of them - and some, not so much. To me, the most boring S/Ls are the lettered editions that are completely identical to the numbered ones, except that they have letters instead of numbers on the limitation page.
    I agree. I also feel the same way about S/Ls (not necessarily King) that don't vary from the trade edition with the exception of an added limitation page. I expect at least some art or a slipcase or leather binding or something!

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I still want to pick up a copy of the UK BAG OF BONES S/L. My expectations are set appropriately, so although I may not love the thing, but I will definitely like it. I look forward to finding one appropriately priced (for a 2000 limitation, first trade edition, with a signed and numbered bookplate) and adding it to my collection.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by thegreattim View Post
    I agree. I also feel the same way about S/Ls (not necessarily King) that don't vary from the trade edition with the exception of an added limitation page. I expect at least some art or a slipcase or leather binding or something!
    Yeah. The thing is: say you have a signed/numbered edition with a print run of 500 copies and a signed/lettered edition issued in 52 copies and they are identical in all aspects, even down to the limitation page. I'm in this case referring to the S/L GUNSLINGER where the limitation page simply states: "This special edition of The Dark Tower: THE GUNSLINGER is limited to 500 copies, signed by the author and artist. This is copy..." followed by either a number or a letter.

I'm not saying that the S/L GUNSLINGER is not a nice book but to me it feels like it's not a signed/limited book with a print run of 500 copies, but actually one with a print run of 552 copies, of which 52 are lettered instead of numbered (not counting the publisher's copies et cetera for now). Of course, the lettereds are still scarcer than the numbereds but... I would have a harder time paying lots of $$ for a lettered GUNSLINGER than for a lettered FIRESTARTER, for example.

Anyway, that's my opinion. I know it's an exercise in futility because 'it is what it is' but I thought I'd share my thoughts

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Also not a beauty... The German signed Duddits - Dreamcatcher 1/25 limited.
    It´s the normal HC version, only the page where King signed is in an other color then the normal HC.
    But, its the one and only German Stephen King sig (lim) ok - no nr inside, but there are only 25 books.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Yeah. The thing is: say you have a signed/numbered edition with a print run of 500 copies and a signed/lettered edition issued in 52 copies and they are identical in all aspects, even down to the limitation page. I'm in this case referring to the S/L GUNSLINGER where the limitation page simply states: "This special edition of The Dark Tower: THE GUNSLINGER is limited to 500 copies, signed by the author and artist. This is copy..." followed by either a number or a letter.

I'm not saying that the S/L GUNSLINGER is not a nice book but to me it feels like it's not a signed/limited book with a print run of 500 copies, but actually one with a print run of 552 copies, of which 52 are lettered instead of numbered (not counting the publisher's copies et cetera for now). Of course, the lettereds are still scarcer than the numbereds but... I would have a harder time paying lots of $$ for a lettered GUNSLINGER than for a lettered FIRESTARTER, for example.

Anyway, that's my opinion. I know it's an exercise in futility because 'it is what it is' but I thought I'd share my thoughts
    I feel the same. As you say "it is what it is" but the whole lettered vs. numbered thing, unless there are distinct differences in the actual book beyond what it is housed in, seems like (no disrespect intended) an awful lot of hairsplitting.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Agreed 100%. You're paying for the privilege to belong to a very small circle of people, not for extra artwork etc. If that's your bag and you can afford it, cool, but it does seem a bit excessive.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Agreed 100%. You're paying for the privilege to belong to a very small circle of people, not for extra artwork etc. If that's your bag and you can afford it, cool, but it does seem a bit excessive.
    I agree with 90 percent of this...unless a lettered is actually a truly different edition (Skeleton Crew, or even the overpriced SOD lettereds), they have no interest for me whatsoever...however, since we're talking about books we could read in the form of a $5.99 paperback, I think the entire concept of s/ls is arguably pretty excessive, so any cost/expense discussion is getting into hairsplitting once you really start thinking about it, and for completists won't come into the equation at all...haha....

Citizen of Gilead thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't know that I necessarily agree with that completely. I think beyond the "very small circle" thing, that there has to be something beyond the change from # to letter on the signature page to justify the costs. If you look at the price differential, giving someone what is essentially the exact same book for $300-$1000 more than the person who ordered the numbered edition... that just doesn't add up to me. I think at that price you deserve more art or bonus text or for the book to be printed on silk or some such ridiculous thing. It's been said before, but from an economic standpoint, scarcity alone does not impart value. It must have some inherent value itself.

For example, what is to stop a publisher from doing 4 or 5 "levels" of a book otherwise? I could produce a trade for $40, a numbered (1/300) for $80, a lettered (1/26) for $400, say a "Roman numeral edition" (1/15) for $1500, "Japanese kanji edition" (1/5) for $5000 and an "Arabic abjad edition" (1/1) for $20000. You would not expect each of these books to be identical save for the signature page icon... I'm a firm believer that each book should be inherently different and, not only that, but better. In every case, from every publisher.

But of course, that is just my opinion. Many people and most publishers would disagree.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

I don't know that I necessarily agree with that completely. I think beyond the "very small circle" thing, that there has to be something beyond the change from # to letter on the signature page to justify the costs. If you look at the price differential, giving someone what is essentially the exact same book for $300-$1000 more than the person who ordered the numbered edition... that just doesn't add up to me. I think at that price you deserve more art or bonus text or for the book to be printed on silk or some such ridiculous thing. It's been said before, but from an economic standpoint, scarcity alone does not impart value. It must have some inherent value itself.

For example, what is to stop a publisher from doing 4 or 5 "levels" of a book otherwise? I could produce a trade for $40, a numbered (1/300) for $80, a lettered (1/26) for $400, say a "Roman numeral edition" (1/15) for $1500, "Japanese kanji edition" (1/5) for $5000 and an "Arabic abjad edition" (1/1) for $20000. You would not expect each of these books to be identical save for the signature page icon... I'm a firm believer that each book should be inherently different and, not only that, but better. In every case, from every publisher.

But of course, that is just my opinion. Many people and most publishers would disagree.
    I think Centipede did a decent job of distinguishing its 'Salem's Lot limited between edition types. Same with Knowing Darkness.

Country
    Country Flag

True, that is a good example. And actually, I think my statement "most publishers would disagree" is a little over stated. I was just trying to make my point about scarcity vs value. There are a few though, who certainly don't see it my way.

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I think you make a valid point Tim. Yes there may be some value in the scarcity of the book, but for me, I look to pay the extra costs for a nicer publication, extra artwork, slipcases etc.

Gunslinger Apprentice BigCoffinHunter is on a distinguished road BigCoffinHunter's Avatar

Well now, can someone actually provide an example of the publisher charging more for a Lettered edition of a Stephen King book that is exactly the same as the numbered edition in every respect other than the letter itself? Sure, sellers charge more for a Lettered copy of the Gunslinger, but as far as I am aware the Lettered copies were association copies given out by Grant for free. Same with the red-numbered copies of Eyes of the Dragon, which were given out to King's friends and associates free of charge as Christmas presents. Were Lettered copies of Cujo or any other similar books ever sold by the publisher directly for more money, or is it merely a secondary market issue?
    "Smile... It is a fine day..."

Country
    Country Flag

I'm not sure I've seen it with King books per se, as I mentioned, my rant was not specifically directed at King's books (and truth be told, I've never seem a King lettered in person), but the others this generalized "Worst S/L" thread is dedicated to.

I'd be interested if anyone does have a King example, though.

Demon of the Prim east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by east-tennessee View Post
    Bob,

You have sparked my intrest in reading Straub! I have only read the Talisman & black House with King...
    Which of his would you recommend..

Brian
    Quote Originally Posted by jimimck View Post
    Same here, I've only read the Talisman/Blackhouse as well. I do have a copy of Koko & Mystery sitting on my bookshelf however, are they any good?
    You can't go wrong if you start with GHOST STORY. It's one of Peter's best books from his "early" career. It's been made into a great movie, republished by specialty press publishers, etc. Classic novel.

THE HELLFIRE CLUB might also be a good first choice. It's one from Peter's "middle" period of his career. Lots of action (IIRC), a great villain in Dick Dart, and a real page turner.

My personal favorite is THE THROAT. But I hesitate to recommend someone start with it. It's the final book in a loose trilogy that includes KOKO and MYSTERY. Each book can certainly be read as a stand alone novel and you aren't required to read them in order but I remember quite a few references in THE THROAT to the prior two books that I found very enjoyable. I think THE THROAT is the best mystery novel I have ever read.

Peter has been writing with "intentional ambiguity" in some of his more recent books and that is something I don't really care for. I like all loose ends tied up when I finish a novel.

And yes, jimimck, KOKO and MYSTERY are excellent books. Both very high on my list of favorite Straub novels.
    I could not find a copy of Ghost Story at my local usedl bookstore, but they did have The Hellfire Club, I'll try it first

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by BigCoffinHunter View Post
    Well now, can someone actually provide an example of the publisher charging more for a Lettered edition of a Stephen King book that is exactly the same as the numbered edition in every respect other than the letter itself?... Were Lettered copies of Cujo or any other similar books ever sold by the publisher directly for more money, or is it merely a secondary market issue?
    That's a good point...I don't have Beahm's price guide handy, but even if the price was different, I bet it wasn't by much...it's the buyers who've driven that secondary market more than the publishers drove the primary market.

And, CD and Centipede have made the lettered editions markedly different than the limited...you can argue that lettered SOD's are too expensive - but they are a different edition than the normal limited.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post

For what its worth, "Danse" doesn't even seem like a King book needing a special edition, but that's just MHO. King writes fiction, Danse and On Writing always struck me as off for collecting anyway. Know what I mean? Not that they aren't good reads or anything just, off the beaten path, maybe? IDK
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Probably true, although that wasn't the case at the time...I think Danse was his first limited edition, actually, from 1979. Is that right?

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Firestarter was first in 1980. Then Cujo (1981) then Danse Macabre (1981).

John

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast