PDA

View Full Version : Rate The Last Movie You Saw.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45

fernandito
01-12-2022, 08:16 AM
You can never go wrong with Kurosawa :cool:

Still Servant
01-12-2022, 04:53 PM
American Underdog. 10/10. Love it. Best sports movie I think I’ve ever seen. Please see this hidden gem.

Bro, that's impossible. It's better than Rudy? It's better than Field of Dreams? We need a sports movie tournament right now.

As for Matrix Resurrections, I had pretty low expectations, so I enjoyed it for what it was, but I wanted to like it a lot more. Honestly, my biggest gripe was the action. I thought it was sloppy. I also thought the CGI was pretty average. I don't think there's anything left to the story. What would be more interesting is to see the early days of the machine takeover. We need a prequel that really explores some of that. I'd have to go back and watch the Animatrix, but I feel like those short films explored things of that nature.

Yep. Loved it better than both those and I liked those a LOT!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The trailer looked like a Paint-By-Numbers sports movie. I also thought they were going to lay on the faith aspect super thick, which will just annoy the piss out of me. You know how many guys prayed their brains out to be an NFL QB and ended shoveling shit?

98% audience on RT. I was just talking to a friend that said the same. It’s his favourite sports film of all time. So, I looked up every movie here mentioned by members. Not a single one was close to the 98% score. I think the closest one….. was 91%. Not that this Should mean it’s the hands down best BUT I find we always choose the older films as the “best” because we were more impressionable then or maybe Nostalgia plays a part? I don’t know but after thinking on this again and the discussion with my movie pal… I’ll re-affirm this is my favourite sports movie ever.

Web, you have to be clear with your Rotten Tomatoes stats. I'm not saying you were trying not to be clear, but you have to tell the entire story.

American Underdog has 98% audience score. It has a 75% critics rating, which is actually better than I expected. It should be noted that it only has 59 reviews though.

Regardless, audience scores aren't that reliable. Most people have terrible taste. You don't want to go down the rabbit hole of looking up audience scores for trash films. Ghostbusters: Afterlife isn't trash, but it's an average film that has a 95% audience rating.

I'm sure the film is a big crowd-pleaser, but I doubt it will stand the test of time like some of the best films the genre has to offer.

webstar1000
01-12-2022, 06:04 PM
American Underdog. 10/10. Love it. Best sports movie I think I’ve ever seen. Please see this hidden gem.

Bro, that's impossible. It's better than Rudy? It's better than Field of Dreams? We need a sports movie tournament right now.

As for Matrix Resurrections, I had pretty low expectations, so I enjoyed it for what it was, but I wanted to like it a lot more. Honestly, my biggest gripe was the action. I thought it was sloppy. I also thought the CGI was pretty average. I don't think there's anything left to the story. What would be more interesting is to see the early days of the machine takeover. We need a prequel that really explores some of that. I'd have to go back and watch the Animatrix, but I feel like those short films explored things of that nature.

The trailer looked like a Paint-By-Numbers sports movie. I also thought they were going to lay on the faith aspect super thick, which will just annoy the piss out of me. You know how many guys prayed their brains out to be an NFL QB and ended shoveling shit?

98% audience on RT. I was just talking to a friend that said the same. It’s his favourite sports film of all time. So, I looked up every movie here mentioned by members. Not a single one was close to the 98% score. I think the closest one….. was 91%. Not that this Should mean it’s the hands down best BUT I find we always choose the older films as the “best” because we were more impressionable then or maybe Nostalgia plays a part? I don’t know but after thinking on this again and the discussion with my movie pal… I’ll re-affirm this is my favourite sports movie ever.

Web, you have to be clear with your Rotten Tomatoes stats. I'm not saying you were trying not to be clear, but you have to tell the entire story.

American Underdog has 98% audience score. It has a 75% critics rating, which is actually better than I expected. It should be noted that it only has 59 reviews though.

Regardless, audience scores aren't that reliable. Most people have terrible taste. You don't want to go down the rabbit hole of looking up audience scores for trash films. Ghostbusters: Afterlife isn't trash, but it's an average film that has a 95% audience rating.

I'm sure the film is a big crowd-pleaser, but I doubt it will stand the test of time like some of the best films the genre has to offer.

I wouldn’t say most people have terrible taste. Consensus is a great way to look at it. Perhaps you or even me have terrible taste. I just wanted to share with you that this is the highest rated audience sports movie I could find and hope you will see it. It’s that good. I actually went and watched Rudy last night too and no where near as good and Invincible too which lacks as well. See the show and let me know!

Still Servant
01-13-2022, 05:20 PM

I wouldn’t say most people have terrible taste. Consensus is a great way to look at it. Perhaps you or even me have terrible taste. I just wanted to share with you that this is the highest rated audience sports movie I could find and hope you will see it. It’s that good. I actually went and watched Rudy last night too and no where near as good and Invincible too which lacks as well. See the show and let me know!

Most people are easy to please. Hollywood caters to them by making the same movie over and over again and including similar tropes so it seems familiar. I will list a few things that American Underdog includes and I will probably nail most of them.

A woman will be pregnant, hammering home the need for the protagonist to succeed.
At some point, someone will tear him down and tell him he's worthless or unworthy.
A rousing speech
A training montage
A coach will come off as an asshole, he may even seem like the villain, but he's actually a big softy.

webstar1000
01-13-2022, 05:24 PM

Most people are easy to please. Hollywood caters to them by making the same movie over and over again and including similar tropes so it seems familiar. I will list a few things that American Underdog includes and I will probably nail most of them.

A woman will be pregnant, hammering home the need for the protagonist to succeed.
At some point, someone will tear him down and tell him he's worthless or unworthy.
A rousing speech
A training montage
A coach will come off as an asshole, he may even seem like the villain, but he's actually a big softy.

Funny… you only got one right.

Still Servant
01-13-2022, 05:27 PM

A rousing speech
A training montage

Funny… you only got one right.

What?! Now I have to see this film just to be sure. :lol:

OldCrow88
01-13-2022, 05:58 PM
A rousing speech
A training montage

Happily the timeless classic Beerfest includes all of these, except the pregnant woman. But there's also a death that inspires the protagonists to refocus and strive. Come to think of it, Beerfest may be the greatest sports movie of all time!

Garrell
01-13-2022, 06:44 PM
Brian’s Song is one of the classics. So good. If you haven’t seen it, try and catch it. True story.

Mattrick
01-13-2022, 07:54 PM
I think everyone can agree this is the greatest coach in film history

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnXVRZcVZec

Randall Flagg
01-14-2022, 04:56 PM
Scream:

This "requel" as they wish to call it is replete with tons of inside jokes, pop culture, irreverent comparisons to the previous Scream movies, and features fresh faced actors, while bringing back the old favorites,

None of it succeeds beyond entertaining at best and tedious as usual.

3/6 beers on the RFSRS

Merlin1958
01-14-2022, 05:42 PM
Scream:

This "requel" as they wish to call it is replete with tons of inside jokes, pop culture, irreverent comparisons to the previous Scream movies, and features fresh faced actors, while bringing back the old favorites,

None of it succeeds beyond entertaining at best and tedious as usual.

3/6 beers on the RFSRS

Tough crowd!! lol

St. Troy
01-23-2022, 04:38 PM
Saw Encanto the other night. I always think I'm not going to like current Disney animated movies, and then they all turn out to be great, including this one.

Saw Cruella last night. I had no great attachment to 101 Dalmatians (in any form), and when I saw (upon starting it) that it was 2:17 long, I thought wow, this might be hard to get through. Wrong - this was fucking fantastic; I only wish it were longer, and I'm glad to hear they're working on Cruella 2. Emma Stone is compelling in every sense of the word; the soundtrack was ballsy; the other characters were great.

Mattrick
01-24-2022, 06:24 AM
Burning - An extremely good film that will likely get the full bump up to a full 5 after a rewatch 4/5

More on Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/mattrickbt/film/burning-2018/

fernandito
01-24-2022, 09:51 AM
Burning is one of my favorite films of the 2010's. There's just so much subtext and layers to it. I think about that film often, will probably rewatch it sometime soon.

Still Servant
01-25-2022, 05:25 PM
Burning is an absolute masterpiece. I too still think about it.

Mattrick
01-25-2022, 10:20 PM
The Lady From Shanghai - What a weirdly made fucking movie. It's too terrible to be good and it's got too many redeeming qualities to be bad. So it's just fine. 3/5

More at Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/mattrickbt/film/the-lady-from-shanghai/

webstar1000
01-26-2022, 04:37 AM

Where can I see this?

Mattrick
01-26-2022, 08:12 AM

Where can I see this?

I bought mine on Xbox through the microsoft store.

Heather19
01-26-2022, 09:12 AM
The Lady From Shanghai - What a weirdly made fucking movie. It's too terrible to be good and it's got too many redeeming qualities to be bad. So it's just fine. 3/5

More at Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/mattrickbt/film/the-lady-from-shanghai/

It's not his best film, but I still really enjoyed it. That mirror scene is just phenomenal.

Where can I see this?

I believe I watched it on Prime. I wasn't quite as enthralled with it as everyone else, but I did enjoy it. I should probably give it another watch sometime.

Still Servant
01-26-2022, 06:41 PM

It's not his best film, but I still really enjoyed it. That mirror scene is just phenomenal.

Where can I see this?

I believe I watched it on Prime. I wasn't quite as enthralled with it as everyone else, but I did enjoy it. I should probably give it another watch sometime.

It's also on Hoopla, which is a great free service offered by many libraries. If your library doesn't have it, you can request it and they will get it.

Merlin1958
01-28-2022, 09:19 PM

Where can I see this?

You guys were joking about this film "Burning", right? The Prime movie from, S. Korea? That's 2.5 hrs of my life I'll never get back!!! It sucked mightily!!!
The lead actor was a Korean version of "Bubba" from, Forrest Gump!!! You guys are either nuts or have very low standards for films IMHO Foe the life of me I failed to see any merit to it at all. lol

Tommy
01-28-2022, 09:50 PM
Oh man, now I have to see Burning! Thanks Bill!! :coo3l:

Mattrick
01-29-2022, 01:08 AM
You guys were joking about this film "Burning", right? The Prime movie from, S. Korea? That's 2.5 hrs of my life I'll never get back!!! It sucked mightily!!!
The lead actor was a Korean version of "Bubba" from, Forrest Gump!!! You guys are either nuts or have very low standards for films IMHO Foe the life of me I failed to see any merit to it at all. lol

You have to have pretty high standards to enjoy Burning.

Merlin1958
01-29-2022, 09:41 AM

You gotta lay off the crack, my friend. lol Tell me, what was it about this film that you found brilliant? I couldn't identify a single positive thing in it.

Mattrick
01-29-2022, 10:53 PM

You gotta lay off the crack, my friend. lol Tell me, what was it about this film that you found brilliant? I couldn't identify a single positive thing in it.

The terrific nuanced performances and complex characters, the stellar cinematography and the use of natural light, crisp editing, subtle, slowburn storytelling that trusts the audience can put 2 and 2 together, great production design, and the overall unanswered mystery at the heart of the film and how the events of the film linger because you know you'll never have definitive answers for everything.

divemaster
01-30-2022, 12:40 PM
I'm somewhere in the middle. I didn't think Burning was a "waste of time," but it wasn't a very interesting movie. It's been over 3 years since I've seen it, but my rating was 2.5 (out of 5), which is very much in the mediocre range.

fernandito
01-30-2022, 03:46 PM

The terrific nuanced performances and complex characters, the stellar cinematography and the use of natural light, crisp editing, subtle, slowburn storytelling that trusts the audience can put 2 and 2 together, great production design, and the overall unanswered mystery at the heart of the film and how the events of the film linger because you know you'll never have definitive answers for everything.

What he said^

Still Servant
01-30-2022, 07:00 PM

Just because you didn't like it, doesn't mean we have very low standards for film. I'm pretty sure it's a well-regarded film.

I guess my question to you is, do you think he did it?

DoctorZaius
01-31-2022, 06:21 PM
Watched The Fallout last night. An interesting small film. As a teacher, the subject matter of school shootings always interests me. I thought things were handled pretty well by this young writer/director. The younger sister from the recent Scream film stars in it. Worth checking out. 7.5/10

Merlin1958
01-31-2022, 06:47 PM

Except for the fact that there is no definitive "ending" I feel like we were watching two very different films. But hey, to each his/her own, right?

Merlin1958
01-31-2022, 06:50 PM

Just because you didn't like it, doesn't mean we have very low standards for film. I'm pretty sure it's a well-regarded film.

I guess my question to you is, do you think he did it?

I didn't mean the standars thing the way you're taking it. I apologize for a poor choice of words. Honestly, by the end I just didn't care. To me the set-up of a mystery was poorly portrayed in the film. I didn't care for the film at all.

Tommy
02-02-2022, 03:11 PM
Anyone else seen The Power of the Dog yet?

webstar1000
02-02-2022, 03:14 PM
Anyone else seen The Power of the Dog yet?

Yep. Wonderful film!

Tommy
02-02-2022, 03:24 PM
I watched it last night and I can't stop thinking about it.

mae
02-02-2022, 03:58 PM
I feel bad because I didn't like it. Maybe I wasn't in the right mood.

Tommy
02-02-2022, 04:27 PM
I feel bad because I didn't like it. Maybe I wasn't in the right mood.

That's the thing, I am really still debating on whether I liked it or not. It definitely had an impact on me. I knew what was going to happen as soon as a certain word is mentioned towards the beginning just not how. That foreshadowing and the explanation at the end could have been left out and the audience would have a tighter more interesting mystery but that was obviously not what Campion was going for. I don't know. I am conflicted because it did have some great acting in it.

Still Servant
02-02-2022, 05:46 PM
Watched The Fallout last night. An interesting small film. As a teacher, the subject matter of school shootings always interests me. I thought things were handled pretty well by this young writer/director. The younger sister from the recent Scream film stars in it. Worth checking out. 7.5/10

Have you seen Mass? Fallout sounds like a perfect companion piece to it. The film has some of the best performances of the year.

Except for the fact that there is no definitive "ending" I feel like we were watching two very different films. But hey, to each his/her own, right?

Exactly! The viewer is left doubting what happened, just like the main character. We will never really know, that's what makes it great.

One of my favorite films of the year. It's also enhanced by a second viewing.

DoctorZaius
02-02-2022, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the Mass recommendation. I'll check it out and get back to you.

webstar1000
02-03-2022, 04:12 AM
Mass is just a no go for me. I tried… and couldn’t get through it.

Still Servant
02-03-2022, 07:03 PM
It's not an easy watch. The subject matter is really heavy.

The film is essentially 4 people sitting in a room talking, so I would not have expected that to be your cup of tea.

webstar1000
02-04-2022, 04:14 AM

The film is essentially 4 people sitting in a room talking, so I would not have expected that to be your cup of tea.

yeah that is a hard no. I love film but I have ADD and that is just not a film for someone with that issue....

OldCrow88
02-06-2022, 06:16 PM

Well it's no Jackass Forever, that's for sure.

Garrell
02-06-2022, 08:07 PM
The Power of the Dog
Liked it/didn’t like it. Unsure really, could have been a half hour shorter and still been the same movie. Was good but was painfully odd also. The ending really saved it for me.

Tommy
02-13-2022, 07:48 AM

So how many times have you seen it now? And did you write a review on here for it, I'd like to read it (and anyone else's) if you did.

Mattrick
02-13-2022, 06:09 PM
Reatched After Hours for the first time in like a decade. It's such a fun Scorsese film that doesn't get the recognition it deserves.

Merlin1958
02-14-2022, 06:26 AM
Ghostbusters: Afterlife, wasn't half bad. had a real feel for the original if, you know what I mean, Story was pretty good and there are the expected cameo's that really help it along. One of the "Stranger Things" kids plays the lead along with, Paul Rudd. Fun ride even if it had no where near the comedy elements of the original films. That's largely due to "No Murray" to speak of in this film.

Bottom line is that I enjoyed it. Even goes for a tearful scene at the end. Post credit scenes were pretty funny and worth the wait. I give it a .5 beers out of 6 on the RFMRS. i think you'll enjoy it as well.

Still Servant
02-15-2022, 06:19 PM

So how many times have you seen it now? And did you write a review on here for it, I'd like to read it (and anyone else's) if you did.

I've seen it twice, but when I wrote the mini-review below, I had only seen it once:

The Power of the Dog

Director Jane Campion has crafted a methodically brilliant film about toxic male masculinity. Power of the Dog features some of the most beautiful cinematography I've seen in years. You can put some of the wide landscape shots up against any we've ever seen in the Western genre.

Benedict Cumberbatch gives one of the best performances of the year as a truly loathsome person. The mental abuse he unleashes is sometimes hard to watch. Despite his hard exterior, there's something else lurking beneath.

Perhaps the standout of the film is Kodi Smit-McPhee, who gives a very measured performance as a gentle young man, but like Cumberbatch's character, there's more than meets the eye here.

The cast is rounded out by real-life married couple Jesse Plemons and Kirsten Dunst. The Power of the Dog is the kind of film that begs to be viewed twice.

webstar1000
02-16-2022, 05:10 AM

I've seen it twice, but when I wrote the mini-review below, I had only seen it once:

The Power of the Dog

Director Jane Campion has crafted a methodically brilliant film about toxic male masculinity. Power of the Dog features some of the most beautiful cinematography I've seen in years. You can put some of the wide landscape shots up against any we've ever seen in the Western genre.

Benedict Cumberbatch gives one of the best performances of the year as a truly loathsome person. The mental abuse he unleashes is sometimes hard to watch. Despite his hard exterior, there's something else lurking beneath.

Perhaps the standout of the film is Kodi Smit-McPhee, who gives a very measured performance as a gentle young man, but like Cumberbatch's character, there's more than meets the eye here.

The cast is rounded out by real-life married couple Jesse Plemons and Kirsten Dunst. The Power of the Dog is the kind of film that begs to be viewed twice.

I was more of a fan of this than I thought I would be and agree with all you said here. I found myself really looking for more in what I seen and reading MANY articles on it. Loved it

mae
02-16-2022, 05:08 PM
Watch Kimi on HBO Max, everyone. It’s the first great movie of 2022! A very Hitchcockian techno-thriller. Loved it! No way it gets remembered for next awards season, but it totally should be.

webstar1000
02-16-2022, 06:03 PM
Watch Kimi on HBO Max, everyone. It’s the first great movie of 2022! A very Hitchcockian techno-thriller. Loved it! No way it gets remembered for next awards season, but it totally should be.
Really? That’s a huge no for me. It’s not that good. Cookie cutter. Predictably sillly. 4/10

Tommy
02-18-2022, 12:54 PM

The Power of the Dog

Thanks for the re-post. I do plan on watching it again but it was such a bitter and cruel experience for me I've been putting it off.

Merlin1958
02-18-2022, 09:45 PM
Really? That’s a huge no for me. It’s not that good. Cookie cutter. Predictably sillly. 4/10

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Sigh, I watch way too much TV. lol

Merlin1958
02-18-2022, 09:46 PM

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Sigh, I watch way too much TV. lol

Liked "Reacher" on Amazon though!! lol

webstar1000
02-19-2022, 04:20 AM
Uncharted. Yes it’s what you would expect.. 100%. Doesn’t mean we didn’t have fun. And Tom Holland has to one of my favourite actors. I can watch him on screen any day. He is so charismatic!!! The next Tom
Cruise of this generation. 7.5/10. I would be a little
Higher but some of the comedy fell flat. I blame Mark W for that though… not my boy Tom! Haha it’s a fun popcorn movie with a lot of Indiana Jones vibes. It’s no Indy though… [emoji15][emoji23]

Mattrick
02-22-2022, 02:32 PM
I watched The Battle of Algiers for school last week and it was excellent.

Tommy
02-22-2022, 02:54 PM
One of the best! :thumbsup:

Still Servant
02-22-2022, 04:46 PM
Uncharted. Yes it’s what you would expect.. 100%. Doesn’t mean we didn’t have fun. And Tom Holland has to one of my favourite actors. I can watch him on screen any day. He is so charismatic!!! The next Tom
Higher but some of the comedy fell flat. I blame Mark W for that though… not my boy Tom! Haha it’s a fun popcorn movie with a lot of Indiana Jones vibes. It’s no Indy though… [emoji15][emoji23]

Uncharted was fun, it's just not even close to being as good as the games. Love Holland, but he's just not Nathan Drake.

webstar1000
02-22-2022, 04:51 PM

Uncharted was fun, it's just not even close to being as good as the games. Love Holland, but he's just not Nathan Drake.

Never played the games. I don’t play any to be honest. Used to but stopped like 25 years ago. lol

Still Servant
02-22-2022, 04:53 PM

Never played the games. I don’t play any to be honest. Used to but stopped like 25 years ago. lol

The games are like playing an action film. They're phenomenal.

Merlin1958
02-24-2022, 10:41 AM
Check out, "Game of their lives..." on HBO (HBOMAX?) pretty good film starring, Gerard Butler. The "Miracle on Grass"!! lol

It's about the U.S. soccer team in 1950. They pulled off a victory reminds you of the U.S. victory over Russia in 1980. Speaking of which, Disney+ has a new feature regarding that game from the Russian POV. Pretty freaking interesting all of what went on around that game from the Russians and their government.

Tommy
02-28-2022, 11:25 PM

The Power of the Dog

Thanks for the re-post. I do plan on watching it again but it was such a bitter and cruel experience for me I've been putting it off.

So on the re-watch I think I understand my feelings a bit more. I have been Phil at times in my life. The closet case that has to assert toxic masculinity as a mask for safety and self preservation. Yes, he is a detestable bastard but think how it must have been for a highly educated queer man at that time. Knowing exactly what you are and NEVER getting to be yourself for fear of death. Peter figures it out and uses it as a noose to strangle Phil to death with and it just seems so cruel even up against what Phil's cruelty was doing. I don't even think Peter is queer but that doesn't matter. He seduces by zeroing in on that weakness and goes for the killshot. I question the death of Peter's father as being a suicide. After what Peter tells Phil about his father and the brief narration at the beginning, we know this is a young man willing to do anything to protect his mother, including murder. Did the people around Phil deserve his torment, no but did Phil deserve to be murdered? It's a tough question. I'm probably the only person that watched it and felt sorry for Phil and hell that may not have even been Campion's intention but it is how I felt. Did Phil leave the rope behind for Peter as a way of saying I know what you did or was he fulfilling his promise about finishing the rope before Peter went back to school as a thank you for putting Phil out of his misery? And I get the idea that the traditional roles of masculinity are played with here and all that but still, this film bothers me but I cannot deny it's Power.

Also, Kodi Smit-McPhee is excellent here. He suffers from an autoimmune illness called Ankylosing spondylitis (the singer of Imagine Dragons has the same condition) that causes the vertebrae to fuse together coupled with severe inflammatory arthritis. As a result he is blind in his left eye. Everyone probably already knows this but I am just realizing it now. Looking at his film and TV credits, I've seen a lot of his work but this was the first time I was really paying attention to him. I love seeing the differently-abled among us succeed in life.

And one last meaningless aside, my BF took slight issue with the passage because of course the Catholic Bible has it translated as...
"Deliver my soul from the sword, my life from the grip of the dog"
...but he is damn near a biblical scholar at this point so that's to be expected, lol.

webstar1000
03-01-2022, 05:49 AM
Batman. Have you all seen the reviews??? Wow: I’m so excited!

mae
03-01-2022, 06:30 AM

Going to see it tonight. I need something light and fun after the week this world has had.

webstar1000
03-01-2022, 06:29 PM

Going to see it tonight. I need something light and fun after the week this world has had.

Light and fun? Lol

Still Servant
03-02-2022, 05:27 PM

The Power of the Dog

So on the re-watch I think I understand my feelings a bit more. I have been Phil at times in my life. The closet case that has to assert toxic masculinity as a mask for safety and self preservation. Yes, he is a detestable bastard but think how it must have been for a highly educated queer man at that time. Knowing exactly what you are and NEVER getting to be yourself for fear of death. Peter figures it out and uses it as a noose to strangle Phil to death with and it just seems so cruel even up against what Phil's cruelty was doing. I don't even think Peter is queer but that doesn't matter. He seduces by zeroing in on that weakness and goes for the killshot. I question the death of Peter's father as being a suicide. After what Peter tells Phil about his father and the brief narration at the beginning, we know this is a young man willing to do anything to protect his mother, including murder. Did the people around Phil deserve his torment, no but did Phil deserve to be murdered? It's a tough question. I'm probably the only person that watched it and felt sorry for Phil and hell that may not have even been Campion's intention but it is how I felt. Did Phil leave the rope behind for Peter as a way of saying I know what you did or was he fulfilling his promise about finishing the rope before Peter went back to school as a thank you for putting Phil out of his misery? And I get the idea that the traditional roles of masculinity are played with here and all that but still, this film bothers me but I cannot deny it's Power.

Also, Kodi Smit-McPhee is excellent here. He suffers from an autoimmune illness called Ankylosing spondylitis (the singer of Imagine Dragons has the same condition) that causes the vertebrae to fuse together coupled with severe inflammatory arthritis. As a result he is blind in his left eye. Everyone probably already knows this but I am just realizing it now. Looking at his film and TV credits, I've seen a lot of his work but this was the first time I was really paying attention to him. I love seeing the differently-abled among us succeed in life.

And one last meaningless aside, my BF took slight issue with the passage because of course the Catholic Bible has it translated as...
"Deliver my soul from the sword, my life from the grip of the dog"
...but he is damn near a biblical scholar at this point so that's to be expected, lol.

Love the insight here. I'm glad you watched it again. There's definitely a lot going on in that film. There's a ton of subtext.

I think Phil at the end was desperate to be somebody's mentor. I think he saw himself in Peter. I feel that's why he left the rope for him. He truly wanted to be Bronco Henry to him.

webstar1000
03-02-2022, 05:28 PM
Omg. Wow. Nolan… it’s time to
Say goodbye. Wow.
Batman? 10/10

Still Servant
03-02-2022, 05:29 PM
Say goodbye. Wow.
Batman? 10/10

Calm down! :lol:

webstar1000
03-02-2022, 05:30 PM
Say goodbye. Wow.
Batman? 10/10

You stop.
Go see
This. Then say those
Words!!!!

Still Servant
03-02-2022, 05:34 PM
Say goodbye. Wow.
Batman? 10/10

You stop.
Go see
This. Then say those
Words!!!!

I can't wait for Feev to see your post. He considers The Dark Knight one of the best films of the decade.

mae
03-02-2022, 05:38 PM
Saw The Batman last night as well at the early fan screening in IMAX. Wasn’t blown away, but it was very good. At times brilliant and right off the pages of a gritty Gotham comic like Gotham Central or something. Very bleak. Super dark. Much darker than Nolan, very much Fincher and Seven levels.

fernandito
03-02-2022, 06:00 PM
I can't wait for Feev to see your post. He considers The Dark Knight one of the best films of the decade.
It is one of the best films of the decade!!

Most of what I've read about The Batman seems to be positive. I'm checking it out on Saturday night.

It'll take a lot for it to dethrone TDK, but if it comes close I'll be seriously impressed. Glad to hear Battison is a worthy successor to the cape & cowl.

webstar1000
03-03-2022, 11:44 AM
I am booking another viewing for Monday night. One of the best comic book movies I’ve ever seen. Definitely in my top 10… maybe even top 5 movies of all time.

OldCrow88
03-03-2022, 11:46 AM
Saw The Batman last night as well at the early fan screening in IMAX. Wasn’t blown away, but it was very good. At times brilliant and right off the pages of a gritty Gotham comic like Gotham Central or something. Very bleak. Super dark. Much darker than Nolan, very much Fincher and Seven levels.

Great, now I've got "What's in the Bat-box?!?" ringing in my head...

OldCrow88
03-03-2022, 11:47 AM
I am booking another viewing for Monday night. One of the best comic book movies I’ve ever seen. Definitely in my top 10… maybe even top 5 movies of all time.

Damn, sounds like it made a strong impression. I'm going Sunday.

webstar1000
03-03-2022, 11:49 AM

Damn, sounds like it made a strong impression. I'm going Sunday.

This is so good. Seven vibes mixed with the best Batman on screen yet. It’s a detective noir film with the darkness we have been missing in the movies till now. This is gold. I’d love to see Phoenix go up against this Batman. I’m praying.

allasorte
03-04-2022, 04:37 PM

It was well acted, Pattinson surprised me and he did an amazing job of being the quiet observant detective. All his gadgets were plausible. The acting all around was topnotch. The score was dark, dreary, and impressive. It truly was a dark detective noir seemingly where Batman was against the corruption of Gotham, plus the Zodiac rated PG-13, and his own personal demons. Paul Dano was creepy, and his dialogue made him even more disturbing. It was like watching Batman in the movie Seven. However, Catwoman kissing on Batman was out of nowhere and unneeded, the ending fell a little flat, and I despised the "white privilege" remark that was completely out in left field and unnecessary.
Overall, the movie was fantastic and the second-best Batman movie to date...behind The Dark Knight.

Mattrick
03-04-2022, 06:17 PM

I feel like you say this every time you see a comic book movie.

Mattrick
03-04-2022, 06:18 PM
I finally saw Spider-Man: No Way Home. I liked that the gimmick supported the story rather than the story servicing the gimmick. I also liked that this was a film about Peter Parker, not Spider-Man. 4/5

More on Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/mattrickbt/film/spider-man-no-way-home/

webstar1000
03-05-2022, 05:42 AM

I feel like you say this every time you see a comic book movie.

I like them for the most part. :)

Garrell
03-05-2022, 06:43 AM
House of Gucci. 4/5 Great acting and very well done. Leto is a bit over the top but Lady Gaga and Adam Driver are great. Pacino is Pacino. Selma Hayek wasn't really much involved.

allasorte
03-06-2022, 10:08 AM
House of Gucci. 4/5 Great acting and very well done. Leto is a bit over the top but Lady Gaga and Adam Driver are great. Pacino is Pacino. Selma Hayek wasn't really much involved.

Agreed. I was surprised myself at the acting. It was enjoyable to watch.

webstar1000
03-07-2022, 06:24 PM
Just got back from a second viewing and this is the best Batman. And best comic book movie of all time. I haven’t been in love with a movie in theatre since Dark Knight and this is better. Matrix it doesn’t best ….. but it’s a wonderful movie in so many ways. I can’t wait for what and where he takes this next

fernandito
03-13-2022, 07:27 AM
The Batman

A really good noir-detective film starring the Bat. The performances were great across the board, cinematography was spot on, atmosphere galore, and Paul Dano's excellent Riddler cast a strong presence even when he wasn't on scene.

Still, there were quite a number of things that kept it from being an All Time Great. Weak third act (especially an anti-climactic ending), Alfred being on screen for 2 minutes when his and Bruce's relationship is always at the crux of Batman films. Apart from the chase scene there weren't too many Wow moments for me.

Not the best Batman or CBM film ever made, but it earned its place in the top half of those lists. Can't wait to see Reeves next film. Maybe that will be The Dark Knight to this film's Batman Begins.

4/5

Mattrick
03-14-2022, 06:52 PM
The Batman - A very good film that does a lot of things right and few things wrong, but it doesn't do enough things great to push it up to elite status, at least after a first viewing. I saw this and Spider-Man: No Way Home less than two weeks apart. While I think The Batman is the superior film, I have a feeling I'll rewatch Spider-man more time.

4/5

Much more at Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/mattrickbt/film/the-batman/

webstar1000
03-15-2022, 04:57 AM
Seen Batman for the 3rd time. Still in love.... I did however have an epiphany while watching the 3rd act. Im wondering if any of my other fellow movie buffs here have thought of this. I thought just after the hallway machine gun scene that I may NEVER get a real movie like I did in the 80's and 90's that will ever be bested. Like T2, Indiana Jones or Matrix.... those moments are in my past and I may never experience them again. It also made me smile that at least I was getting some of the rush from seeing this but never again would it be like... 'then'.

Garrell
03-15-2022, 06:08 AM
Saw Batman couple of days ago.
1st Pattinson is the best Bruce Wayne
2nd Bale is the best Batman
Dark Knight wins but it was enjoyable, could have been shorter though.

Randall Flagg
03-15-2022, 04:03 PM
Seen Batman for the 3rd time. Still in love.... I did however have an epiphany while watching the 3rd act. Im wondering if any of my other fellow movie buffs here have thought of this. I thought just after the hallway machine gun scene that I may NEVER get a real movie like I did in the 80's and 90's that will ever be bested. Like T2, Indiana Jones or Matrix.... those moments are in my past and I may never experience them again. It also made me smile that at least I was getting some of the rush from seeing this but never again would it be like... 'then'.
You will never be the age you were in the 80's and 90's. As one gets older, it becomes much more difficult for films/events to make significant-life memorable impressions upon you.

webstar1000
03-15-2022, 05:31 PM
You will never be the age you were in the 80's and 90's. As one gets older, it becomes much more difficult for films/events to make significant-life memorable impressions upon you.

Totally agree RF… never dawned on me..

OldCrow88
03-15-2022, 07:06 PM
Well, they don't make 'em like they used to.

Still Servant
03-21-2022, 04:53 PM

It was well acted, Pattinson surprised me and he did an amazing job of being the quiet observant detective. All his gadgets were plausible. The acting all around was topnotch. The score was dark, dreary, and impressive. It truly was a dark detective noir seemingly where Batman was against the corruption of Gotham, plus the Zodiac rated PG-13, and his own personal demons. Paul Dano was creepy, and his dialogue made him even more disturbing. It was like watching Batman in the movie Seven. However, Catwoman kissing on Batman was out of nowhere and unneeded, the ending fell a little flat, and I despised the "white privilege" remark that was completely out in left field and unnecessary.
Overall, the movie was fantastic and the second-best Batman movie to date...behind The Dark Knight.

Pattinson shouldn't be surprising anyone with his acting at this point. The man has consistently pumped out solid work in films like The Rover, High Life, The Light House, Good Time, Tenet, The Lost City of Z just to name a few. He's completely left Twilight in the dust.

OldCrow88
03-21-2022, 05:07 PM

Pattinson shouldn't be surprising anyone with his acting at this point. The man has consistently pumped out solid work in films like The Rover, High Life, The Light House, Good Time, Tenet, The Lost City of Z just to name a few. He's completely left Twilight in the dust.

Agreed, he can act and honestly he's now my favorite Batman (except for Adam West). But we all have to admit we were waiting to see if the Batman sparkled during daytime.

Tommy
03-21-2022, 07:08 PM
The wettest Batman ever! I really liked it.

allasorte
03-22-2022, 12:19 PM

I know a couple "children" that mentioned the glitter Batman and want nothing to do with the movie. That is preposterous and he is fantastic in the movies you mentioned above. The guy can act and it is refreshing to see a young actor able to play multiple roles and excel. There aren't many Pattinson's out there that can act. He is growing on me.

Randall Flagg
03-25-2022, 03:38 PM
The Lost City.
Flop sweat. That's what you get when several very good comedic actors are given a script with very few funny lines, a horrible plot, and a few million dollars each for trying.

Tedious at 92 minutes one wants to walk out and do something more entertaining (liking watching grass grow).

2.5 beers on the Randall Flagg Six Pack Rating System (RFSRS).

Save your time, and your money-avoid this movie.

webstar1000
03-25-2022, 03:39 PM
The Lost City.
Flop sweat. That's what you get when several very good comedic actors are given a script with very few funny lines, a horrible plot, and a few million dollars each for trying.

Tedious at 92 minutes one wants to walk out and do something more entertaining (liking watching grass grow).

We seen it too. Brad Pitt stole the show for me. Too bad he didn’t have a larger role. I’d rate it a bit higher than as a popcorn movie.

fernandito
03-25-2022, 03:54 PM
Come to Daddy

Started off great with a promising performance by Elijah Wood and a creepy, mysterious, and captivating turn by Stephen McHattie.

Then right before the halfway mark the film squanders its potential by introducing a bunch of lame subplots that pull the film towards a nosedive. Shame, could have been a great film if it delivered on the promise of the first 20-30 minutes.

2.5/5

Randall Flagg
03-25-2022, 04:56 PM
The Lost City.

We seen it too. Brad Pitt stole the show for me. Too bad he didn’t have a larger role. I’d rate it a bit higher than as a popcorn movie.

Pitt did steal the show. The line where he is asked by Bullock's character about how he became so handsome and he responds "My father was a weatherman" was perfect.

Randall Flagg
03-27-2022, 09:17 AM
X

Fantastic throwback/homage to late 1970's horror/slasher movies. Shot in widescreen with "old" footage in square 35mm, this film is a bit more titillating than 70's movies (the plot has 6 people going to a remote farmhouse in Texas to shoot an "artistic" porno movie), and very graphic. There are several scenes that will make your skin crawl. Look for a small twist at the end. I doubt many will have seen the twist coming.

5/6 beers on the RFSRS. Highly recommended you seek this one out.

webstar1000
04-17-2022, 12:49 PM
X

Fantastic throwback/homage to late 1970's horror/slasher movies. Shot in widescreen with "old" footage in square 35mm, this film is a bit more titillating than 70's movies (the plot has 6 people going to a remote farmhouse in Texas to shoot an "artistic" porno movie), and very graphic. There are several scenes that will make your skin crawl. Look for a small twist at the end. I doubt many will have seen the twist coming.

5/6 beers on the RFSRS. Highly recommended you seek this one out.

Man. I just watched this remembering your recommendation and holy shit your right. One of my favourite horror/ thriller I’ve seen in years. Amazing movie!

Tommy
04-17-2022, 07:03 PM
X ROCKS!!!

Mattrick
04-23-2022, 03:25 PM
The Northman - It is hard to describe what is missing from The Northman. Perhaps it is merely Hamlet being so done to death that it lacks that emotional punch now. But the performances are good, theproduction design is astounding, and the photography is magnificent. It lacks the pathos that The Witch and The Lifhthouse did so well.

4/5

Ricky
04-24-2022, 04:42 PM
I agree with just about everything you said. There's tons to love about The Northman--acting, imagery, tone, and more--and I really did enjoy it, but I do think that it dragged a little in the middle, and I didn't feel as connected to Amleth and Olga as I was hoping. But if the Oscars decide to add an award for Best Appearance by a Volcano in a Motion Picture, it would surely go to The Northman. :)

If I'm ranking Eggers' films, it'd be:

3. The Lighthouse
2. The Northman
1. The Witch (which I think is extra successful because of it's simplicity)

Tommy
04-24-2022, 08:51 PM
Bergman, Viking, Shakespeare, Violence, Haneke, Icelandic, Hellscape, Death/Beauty, Hope 4/4

Tommy
04-24-2022, 08:53 PM
And Hamlet never gets old! How very dare you!:angry:

Tommy
04-24-2022, 08:57 PM
I have only seen the Witch for comparison but I feel both are masterpieces. I have not seen Lighthouse.

Tommy
04-24-2022, 09:15 PM
Björk!!! :clap:

shaq
04-25-2022, 02:02 PM
I watched The Batman at home.

I found The Riddler truly terrifying, especially so after unmasking. The escalation of events didn’t grip me as much as The Dark Knight, but planning on watching again and again.

My modern day Seven. I couldn’t help but compare. I almost feel that it almost drew Seven into the Gotham City universe bizarrely.

I had one laugh out loud moment when the penguin had his feet tied up and he had to waddle to follow Batman. It wasn’t played for laughs I think, but certainly a nod to penguin being penguin.

Otherwise a very grim view of Gotham. Fab

Pattinson 9.5 I thought his performance was up there.
Writing 8 due to a few corny lines
Riddler 10 scary as hell
Penguin… not sure, very good, subdued role in this I thought, imagine the sequel will see some very interesting developments.

Rating overall 8.5 out of 10.

Imagine what this film could have done if it was an R rating!

(Edited to expand a little and add a rating)

Mattrick
04-26-2022, 04:08 PM

Then you haven't read the play, watched the 4 hour Branagh adaptation, written an essay on Hamlet, and then watched The Northman adapting Hamlet all in like a 10 day span. It gets old lol

Tommy
04-26-2022, 07:47 PM

Then you haven't read the play, watched the 4 hour Branagh adaptation, written an essay on Hamlet, and then watched The Northman adapting Hamlet all in like a 10 day span. It gets old lol

I've read the play, watched the Branuagh, never written an essay but have also seen Olivier's Hamlet, Gibson's Hamlet, and interestingly enough, the show Mystery Science Theater 3000 did an episode using a made for TV German adaptation with Max Schell playing Hamlet. That episode is often ranked among the least funny of the series run just because bad Hamlet is still good Hamlet.

I can appreciate burn out but it has lasted for a while because reasons.

Merlin1958
04-26-2022, 08:43 PM
I don't care what anyone else thinks, but Nolan's "Dark Knight" trilogy is still the best yet. And it'll be pretty hard to top, Ledgers "Joker!! Of course that's just MHO FWIW but its my call and I'm sticking to it!! lol

Tommy
04-26-2022, 09:26 PM

And if I had been through that gauntlet, would have been tired of the plot as well but thankfully, my experiences are spread over decades.

Tommy
04-26-2022, 09:29 PM
I don't care what anyone else thinks, but Nolan's "Dark Knight" trilogy is still the best yet. And it'll be pretty hard to top, Ledgers "Joker!! Of course that's just MHO FWIW but its my call and I'm sticking to it!! lol

What all other things are you comparing Nolan's Trilogy to, Bill? And I also agree that Leger's Joker is the best I've seen.

OldCrow88
04-27-2022, 03:03 AM
Saw The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent last night and really enjoyed it. Nicolas Cage's awesomeness is ubiquitous. Pedro Pascal was amazing as well, a great pairing. It was no The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari but it might rival Face/Off :lol1:

webstar1000
04-27-2022, 04:01 AM

I LOVED Legers Joker but I think if he had not died and both that and the JOKER were out at the same time it would be more favourable towards Phoenix's version.

Tommy
04-27-2022, 04:20 AM
I really like Phoenix Joker but watching that movie repeatedly would get depressing in a way I don't think re-watching The Dark Knight would.

webstar1000
04-27-2022, 04:21 AM
I really like Phoenix Joker but watching that movie repeatedly would get depressing in a way I don't think re-watching The Dark Knight would.

Agreee totally. But I think that’s the point too… it’s a sad story. I really hope we get more. Imagine Patersons Batman going up against him!?? Talk about DARK. Lol

Merlin1958
04-27-2022, 09:45 AM

What all other things are you comparing Nolan's Trilogy to, Bill? And I also agree that Leger's Joker is the best I've seen.

All other "Batman" movies including the newest which fell kinda flat IMHO

webstar1000
04-27-2022, 10:12 AM

The new Batman is my favourite movie since the 90's. I loved it. I really did.

Merlin1958
04-27-2022, 10:47 AM

The new Batman is my favourite movie since the 90's. I loved it. I really did.

That's cool. "Batman" is becoming a bit redundant to me I guess. Also, I don't consider "Joker" to be a "superhero/villian" movie at all. It was good but in a very different vein IMHO. In my view there is no, Joker without The Batman as well. May be a limited viewpoint on my part, but that's the way I see it.

shaq
04-27-2022, 11:51 AM

I gave the riddler a 10, as I do think he was hellishly scary, but Heath Ledger, I could watch that version of the Joker all day every day.

I also loved The Joker film too and that version, but where The Batman led me towards Seven, The Joker led me more towards the De Nero film, can’t remember the name but denero was a comedian that went pair shaped, was it Scorsese?

Randall Flagg
04-27-2022, 03:30 PM

I gave the riddler a 10, as I do think he was hellishly scary, but Heath Ledger, I could watch that version of the Joker all day every day.

I also loved The Joker film too and that version, but where The Batman led me towards Seven, The Joker led me more towards the De Nero film, can’t remember the name but denero was a comedian that went pair shaped, was it Scorsese?

The King of Comedy? (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_King_of_Comedy_(film))

Tommy
04-27-2022, 06:53 PM

The King of Comedy? (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_King_of_Comedy_(film))

I never liked Jerry Lewis movies but this is my favorite performance of his, perhaps his least humorous as well, not sure because I haven't sen all his films.. Fantastic movie

shaq
04-28-2022, 02:34 AM
King of Comedy, that’s the one.

fernandito
04-28-2022, 11:47 AM

The Dark Knight is still the best Batman film, but The Batman might have taken the No. 2 spot for me, over Batman Begins. My current ranking is

1. The Dark Knight
2. The Batman
3. Batman Begins
4. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
5. The Dark Knight Rises

webstar1000
04-28-2022, 03:13 PM

The Dark Knight is still the best Batman film, but The Batman might have taken the No. 2 spot for me, over Batman Begins. My current ranking is

1. The Dark Knight
2. The Batman
3. Batman Begins
5. The Dark Knight Rises

Mask of… never seen it. Good?

DoctorDodge
04-29-2022, 09:15 AM

1. The Dark Knight
2. The Batman
3. Batman Begins
5. The Dark Knight Rises

Definitely happy to see Mask of the Phantasm in there, feev. :thumbsup:

allasorte
05-01-2022, 06:45 PM

1. The Dark Knight
2. The Batman
3. Batman Begins
5. The Dark Knight Rises

Definitely happy to see Mask of the Phantasm in there, feev. :thumbsup:

Have you seen the two part Long Halloween? That was fantastic but not sure where to add to your list. Unless a top 10?

Still Servant
05-13-2022, 03:47 PM
Has anyone seen Everything Everywhere All at Once? I really let the film sit with me for a few days and I'm confident now to call it a masterpiece. It's one of the very best films I've seen in a long time. It's super original and is unapologetic about its goofiness.

The film is directed by the guys who directed Swiss Army Man, so if you liked that one, then you kind of know what you're in for.

fernandito
05-13-2022, 04:08 PM
Yeap, I kept meaning to type a review in here but I got lazy (surprise).

EEAAO is my favorite movie of 2022. Hell it might be one of my favorite movies of the past 10 years. 5/5

Still Servant
05-15-2022, 07:35 AM
Yeap, I kept meaning to type a review in here but I got lazy (surprise).

EEAAO is my favorite movie of 2022. Hell it might be one of my favorite movies of the past 10 years. 5/5

Yes! I knew you would love it!

Randall Flagg
05-20-2022, 03:54 PM
Viewed "Men" today at a theater. I'm close to a loss of words to describe the movie, in particular the third reel.

A young English woman, shortly after watching her estranged husband commit suicide seeks solace in a remote 500 year old English countryside house. Things slowly build in eeriness, and tension mostly via the amazing cinematography and subtle soundtrack.

Without giving too much away; the third reel reaches so many climaxes as to make one sit on the edge of their seat, cringe, and titter. Unforgettable images will remain in your thoughts and mind for a long time. Truly unforgettable-a combination of acid, mushrooms, cannabis, and synthetic drugs couldn't reproduce this, yet are the closest I can compare it to.

5.5/6 beers on the RFSRS.

A Must See.

fernandito
05-20-2022, 04:02 PM
Nice! I'm seeing it on Sunday, can't freaking wait!

Mattrick
05-20-2022, 04:34 PM
I've heard very mixed things about Men. I was thinking about seeing it but I'm going to wait to watch it.

Ricky
05-21-2022, 02:19 PM
Men is one of my most visually disturbing and infuriating movies I've ever seen. I spent the last 20 minutes with my mouth open with a what-the-hell-am-I-watching? expression on my face. I was incredibly disappointed (for the same reasons I was disappointed in Mother!). Metaphors don't mean a thing if you don't have the story to back it up.

Still Servant
05-23-2022, 05:13 PM
Interesting. Very interesting. This one might be destined to divide people for a long time.

mae
05-23-2022, 07:04 PM
I really liked Men. I still prefer Annihilation and Ex Machina, but this was great again. Movies like this are an experience, I feel like, it doesn't so much matter what the story is or the message. It's fun to discuss the allegory or symbolism, but just as a nightmarish dreamscape this was fantastic. I love movies like this, that, to quote Ricky above, make you go "what the hell am I watching"? But in a good way.

fernandito
05-26-2022, 01:50 PM
Men was dope. Like Ricky I too was initially a little peeved by the lack of anything resembling answers (mind you, I am not someone who needs art to spoon feed me answers), but over time I've come to appreciate the open-ended approach Garland took.

It's definitely an experience though. Garland is one of the few directors who automatically gets my dollars because he's always trying to push the boundaries of the kind of stories you can tell in large scale format.

Merlin1958
05-26-2022, 02:00 PM
Men was dope. Like Ricky I too was initially a little peeved by the lack of anything resembling answers (mind you, I am not someone who needs art to spoon feed me answers), but over time I've come to appreciate the open-ended approach Garland took.

It's definitely an experience though. Garland is one of the few directors who automatically gets my dollars because he's always trying to push the boundaries of the kind of stories you can tell in large scale format.

Ferny, I apologize in advance, but I kinda take exception to being characterized as someone less than intelligent because I prefer good writing. Yes, sometimes it is spot on and appropriate to leave a story to one's imagination like \, TDT did. However, in most cases I feel its more a case of lazy or inferior writing. If you have a story to tell there should be a beginning, a middle and an "Ending". Seems like more and more shows/films are "copping out" with the no ending technique and calling it "art" these days.

Honest injun, haven't we all complained about, Mr King and endings at one time or another? like "The Stand" for instance (although that did have an ending of sorts, just not a very good one IMHO)?

Just my three beans, my friend. Complete disclosure, I have not viewed this film as yet though, I intend to when I can.

fernandito
05-26-2022, 02:03 PM
@Bill

"Art doesn't offer answers, only questions."
-Michael Haneke

:biggrin:

mae
05-26-2022, 02:40 PM
Or surrealist or abstract art.

Merlin1958
05-26-2022, 02:55 PM
@Bill

"Art doesn't offer answers, only questions."
-Michael Haneke

:biggrin:

One man's opinion. I call BS otherwise. Doesn't make me stupid because I prefer something else though, buddy.

fernandito
05-26-2022, 03:05 PM
No one's calling you stupid bro. Don't put words in my mouth.

Merlin1958
05-26-2022, 03:07 PM

W/E

Still Servant
05-26-2022, 05:33 PM

I'm tired, but I read back the recent posts 3 times and I don't even see it implied.

Randall Flagg
05-26-2022, 05:48 PM
Bill, why does everything have to be about you?
You come out of nowhere to take offense to an observation that doesn't even involve you, let alone your opinion, about a movie you HAVEN'T even seen.
Must you always be the center of attention?

Merlin1958
05-27-2022, 09:04 AM
Bill, why does everything have to be about you?
You come out of nowhere to take offense to an observation that doesn't even involve you, let alone your opinion, about a movie you HAVEN'T even seen.
Must you always be the center of attention?

Much to your chagrin I'm sure, I am not going to dignify that post with a response. i was done with the subject before YOU decided to weigh in with your two cents.

Randall Flagg
05-27-2022, 03:17 PM
Sad.
Just sad.

Randall Flagg
05-27-2022, 03:20 PM
Getting back on track. Viewed Top Gun Maverick today on a true Imax screen.

Rarely does a sequel equal, let alone surpass the first film, but this one does.
Works on every level and delivers above and beyond expectations.

5/6 beers on the RFSRS.

webstar1000
05-27-2022, 03:24 PM
In a world full of second chance failures do we rarely get a Terminator 2 or a Dark Knight… but we do with Top Gun Maverick. Oh boy do we….

Baphomet
05-30-2022, 03:34 AM
Last film I watched was a Norwegian film 'The Innocents'.
Film of the year for me so far. Could easily have been based on a Lindqvist book, would describe it as a cross between Let the Right One In, Carrie and Patrick.

Highly recommended.

Mattrick
05-31-2022, 03:17 PM
This is a lesson. Not visiting the forum in a week means I'm guaranteed to miss the drama.

I tried watching Knock Off starring Van Damme. I remember watching this movie in theatres when JCVD was on the decline and I thought "hey, this is something I can half-watch while I play video games...it's Rob Schneider when he still had aspirations of being an actor! I think I made it about 35 minutes into this thing and I had to shut it off. That opening scene with the ridiculous boat chase was so cheesy and awful that I thought I was in for a fun time laughing at this bad movie. Boy, was I wrong! I couldn't even half-watch this movie so I had to not-watch this movie. Just terrible, even for a bad movie you want to laugh at.

Randall Flagg
05-31-2022, 05:22 PM
It sucks when a crappy movie sucks...

fernandito
06-01-2022, 07:35 AM
I remember liking Van Damme movies when I was a kid, then one day one of my uncles ruined it for me while I was watching The Order and as JCVD was throwing round house kicks and punches, he said "Ummm, this dude is doing kung fu and they have automatic weapons, why don't they just bleeping shoot his ass?"

That was the beginning of the end for me :lol:

Mattrick
06-03-2022, 12:56 AM
I remember liking Van Damme movies when I was a kid, then one day one of my uncles ruined it for me while I was watching The Order and as JCVD was throwing round house kicks and punches, he said "Ummm, this dude is doing kung fu and they have automatic weapons, why don't they just bleeping shoot his ass?"

That was the beginning of the end for me :lol:

You just reminded me of an exchange from a Frasier episode

Frasier (https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001288/?ref_=tt_ch) : The next time we go to see a Jean-Claude Van Damme movie, not only may you pay for the tickets, but also for the wild horses it will take to drag me there.

Martin (https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001498/?ref_=tt_ch) : Well, I'm only mad because we had an agreement. Now, a man's supposed to honor his agreement, didn't you learn anything from that movie?

Frasier (https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001288/?ref_=tt_ch) : Yes, only that bullets are useless against a man who can kick really high

Some early 90s jCVD is still good. John Woo's first American film Hard Target is a pretty fun action film. Sudden Death is pretty alright Die Hard clone, and Double Team is a great bad movie. I've been meaning to watch that JCVD movie he did where he plays himself as a hostage in a bank robbery.

DoctorZaius
06-04-2022, 09:15 AM
Saw Top Gun: Maverick on opening night. Lots of spontaneous applause at key scenes. Loved it. Not as good as the original (the fight scenes were though), but well worth the wait. Nice emotional scene with Ice Man! 8.5/10

webstar1000
06-05-2022, 02:06 PM
Saw Top Gun: Maverick on opening night. Lots of spontaneous applause at key scenes. Loved it. Not as good as the original (the fight scenes were though), but well worth the wait. Nice emotional scene with Ice Man! 8.5/10

I’m in the camp that loved this movie too BUT felt it
Was better than the original.

Still Servant
06-05-2022, 05:25 PM
As an 80s kid, I'm supposed to love the original Top Gun. Unfortunately, I was a little too young and ended up referring to it as a "Kissing Movie" as I got older.

I have gone back and I really appreciate the film, but the 80s kid in me still prefers Iron Eagle. That being said, Top Gun: Maverick is a triumph in every sense of the word. That's how you make a sequel to a beloved film.

Tom Cruise and the producers behind the Mission Impossible films have really found a nice formula for breathing life into these franchises.

DoctorZaius
06-06-2022, 12:12 PM
Took the family to see Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore. Admittedly, we were late to this one. My expectations were very low given the poor critical reception. We actually liked it. Mads Mikkelsen was a big part of why - so much better than Johnny Depp in the roll of Grindelwald. Sure it was light on plot, with lots of scene filler, but we still liked it. 7/10

DoctorZaius
06-06-2022, 12:13 PM

I’m in the camp that loved this movie too BUT felt it
Was better than the original.

Not a surprise - and no, that is not meant to be sarcastic.

fernandito
06-06-2022, 01:09 PM
Top Gun Maverick was freaking fantastic.

It had everything you could want from a modern blockbuster. Heart, thrills, laughs, tear-jerking moments, style, and a director who keeps honing his craft with each film. And of course, Tom Cruise, who never short changes you as a paying customer. Whatever his personal life may be, when it comes time to the craft he always gives it his all and never takes shortcuts. His energy and passion for his projects is infectious.

It's hard not to also view TGM as a meta commentary on Cruise and action stars of years past. These once seemingly invincible, larger-than-life figures are facing their own mortality as they enter their twilight years, yet they're not going down without a fight and dammit if there's not still one or 2 things they can teach the whipper snappers of the next generation.

A great film that deserves to be seen on the big screen, and it Mach 10'd itself into my favorite film of 2022.

5/5

webstar1000
06-07-2022, 03:01 AM
Top Gun Maverick was freaking fantastic.

It had everything you could want from a modern blockbuster. Heart, thrills, laughs, tear-jerking moments, style, and a director who keeps honing his craft with each film. And of course, Tom Cruise, who never short changes you as a paying customer. Whatever his personal life may be, when it comes time to the craft he always gives it his all and never takes shortcuts. His energy and passion for his projects is infectious.

It's hard not to also view TGM as a meta commentary on Cruise and action stars of years past. These once seemingly invincible, larger-than-life figures are facing their own mortality as they enter their twilight years, yet they're not going down without a fight and dammit if there's not still one or 2 things they can teach the whipper snappers of the next generation.

A great film that deserves to be seen on the big screen, and it Mach 10'd itself into my favorite film of 2022.

5/5

THIS.

Still Servant
06-13-2022, 04:53 PM
Here, here!

webstar1000
06-15-2022, 07:36 AM
JP: World Whatver... I thought I seen a member here post about it and HE NAILED IT. What a cheesefest... coming from Top Gun to this was a mega let down:(

Randall Flagg
06-16-2022, 04:17 PM
Just wanted to say I was a bit too harsh on Bill a few posts back. Although I stand by what I said, I should have privately spoken to him before posting.

Ricky
06-17-2022, 04:54 PM
I went into Jurassic World: Dominion with incredibly low expectations and ended up really enjoying it. It has its flaws, as did Jurassic World and Fallen Kingdom (none of which come close to replicating the magic of Jurassic Park), but seeing Grant, Sattler, and Malcolm together again--and on the big screen--was joyful beyond words.

Mattrick
06-19-2022, 05:52 PM
I saw Jurassic World: Dominion. I was impressed with the light yet competent plot, but unimpressed that the little plot we got was so uninteresting. I liked a lot of the action, even though I wanted more dinosaurs mingling with civilization action (like The Lost World). Dodgson was done dirty as an uninteresting and ineffective villain. I say a lot more in my letterboxd review, but I give it a 3/5.

More Thoughts: https://letterboxd.com/mattrickbt/film/jurassic-world-dominion/

DoctorZaius
06-19-2022, 07:00 PM
Jurassic World: Dominion - similar to Ricky, my expectations were low going in, and low and behold, I really liked it. Bringing back the old timers was a great, as were the many wink-wink homages to the original - Barbasol anyone - loved that one. I give this hodgepodge of fun a solid 7.5/10

Tommy
06-20-2022, 03:26 PM
Saw the 40th Anniversary of John Carpenter's The Thing. There was one showtime on Sunday and 730 theaters showing it but it still came in at #9 for the overall weekend top ten. Pretty impressive. It still looks great and those effects, I could tell the folks in the audience that hadn't seen it before from their reactions. Ha! Great Movie!

Merlin1958
06-20-2022, 06:17 PM
Saw the 40th Anniversary of John Carpenter's The Thing. There was one showtime on Sunday and 730 theaters showing it but it still came in at #9 for the overall weekend top ten. Pretty impressive. It still looks great and those effects, I could tell the folks in the audience that hadn't seen it before from their reactions. Ha! Great Movie!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

allasorte
06-21-2022, 04:57 PM

It is such a fantastic movie. I tend to lean towards this as one of the best if not the best sci-fi horror movie out there. It is always a debatable discussion between this, and Alien.

mae
06-23-2022, 04:23 PM
I apologize in advance but Beavis & Butt-Head Do the Universe is hilarious. I haven't laughed this hard in a while.

fernandito
06-24-2022, 09:25 AM
I apologize in advance but Beavis & Butt-Head Do the Universe is hilarious. I haven't laughed this hard in a while.

Dude, it's at %97 on Rotten Tomatoes (https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/beavis_and_butt_head_do_the_universe). Score one for us old timers!

Me and my siblings have a special fondness for B&B from our childhood, so we'll probably pick up some ganja and check this out together.

mae
06-24-2022, 09:35 AM
I will be surprised if it doesn't make my Top 35 movies of 2022.

Mattrick
06-24-2022, 03:10 PM
I had a dream the other night where I helped Beavis and Butthead reconcile with their estranged father. He was very upset that they stole one of his CDs.

Tommy
06-26-2022, 07:52 PM
I have not read The Black Phone but the movie was good. I do have a question for someone who has read the book and it's a spoiler so warning given.

Why does the Grabber keep the black phone in the basement? Why doesn't he get rid of it? Is there a reason given in the book?

Tommy
06-27-2022, 03:55 PM
Did anyone else see The Black Phone this weekend?

DoctorZaius
06-28-2022, 07:39 AM
I have not read The Black Phone but the movie was good. I do have a question for someone who has read the book and it's a spoiler so warning given.

Why does the Grabber keep the black phone in the basement? Why doesn't he get rid of it? Is there a reason given in the book?

Yeah, it's a good story. It's a short story and not a book. Not as many kids get on the phone as there are in the film - probably due to the shortened length. There is no practical reason for the Grabber to have left the phone in the basement, other than he knows the room is sound proof and that he has gut the wire so it doesn't work. Like the film, he mentions that he heard it ring once, but there wasn't anyone on the other end. Later, Bruce Yamada mentions to Finney that "Albert hears the phone too...Sometimes when he's down in the basement we prank call him." So I take the Grabber's reluctance in removing the phone as fearful and strange fascination with it, one that keeps his connections to the kid's he has killed. I think he wants to hear their voices again. That's how I take it.

DoctorZaius
06-28-2022, 07:41 AM
Saw The Black Phone this weekend and enjoyed it very much. It's very close to its source material and yet there are some excellent additions. Not so much of a horror film, as a suspense film with a couple of jump scares. The story though, as simple as it is, is done very well. A great late 70s feel to it. 7.5/10

Tommy
06-28-2022, 10:38 AM

Yeah, it's a good story. It's a short story and not a book. Not as many kids get on the phone as there are in the film - probably due to the shortened length. There is no practical reason for the Grabber to have left the phone in the basement, other than he knows the room is sound proof and that he has gut the wire so it doesn't work. Like the film, he mentions that he heard it ring once, but there wasn't anyone on the other end. Later, Bruce Yamada mentions to Finney that "Albert hears the phone too...Sometimes when he's down in the basement we prank call him." So I take the Grabber's reluctance in removing the phone as fearful and strange fascination with it, one that keeps his connections to the kid's he has killed. I think he wants to hear their voices again. That's how I take it.

Thanks for that interpretation. Makes sense.

mattgreenbean
06-29-2022, 07:48 AM
The Black Phone was pretty good in my opinion. If you liked Sinister, you'll like this. Not as creepy, but cut from the same cloth.
There is a teacher in the movie that looked like a King. I don't think it was. If I could have paused the movie I would have. :)

Randall Flagg
06-30-2022, 01:06 PM
Black Phone:

Tense thriller with nowhere to go.
The audience is a hostage along with the captive boy. Predictable, and thankfully short.
3/6 beers on the RFSRS.

Mattrick
07-01-2022, 01:07 PM
I saw The Black Phone. I think it's a little overhyped. The performances really elevated it. I don't typically give half points outside of Letterboxd, but this is the definition of a 3.5/5 film. It did a out of things right, but I think it could've been so much more with a different approach. This who have read the story, let me know if:

Did the sister play such a role in the story? It feels like her role was very much a Hollywood convention. The actress was pretty good, but the focus shifting to her took me out of the film. I wish that it just stayed in the basement with him, really let us feel imprisoned too. Ultimately so her dreams served no purpose since they led her to the wrong house...it could be said the ghosts led her to where they were buried, but she didn't save her brother, and once he got free they'd have found the bodies through the killer's home ownership so it all seemed kind of like filler to pad the film out.

DoctorZaius
07-02-2022, 07:34 PM
I saw The Black Phone. I think it's a little overhyped. The performances really elevated it. I don't typically give half points outside of Letterboxd, but this is the definition of a 3.5/5 film. It did a out of things right, but I think it could've been so much more with a different approach. This who have read the story, let me know if:

Did the sister play such a role in the story? It feels like her role was very much a Hollywood convention. The actress was pretty good, but the focus shifting to her took me out of the film. I wish that it just stayed in the basement with him, really let us feel imprisoned too. Ultimately so her dreams served no purpose since they led her to the wrong house...it could be said the ghosts led her to where they were buried, but she didn't save her brother, and once he got free they'd have found the bodies through the killer's home ownership so it all seemed kind of like filler to pad the film out.

The sister... is three years older than Finney in the book. She is more the stuff of Finney's dreams. Yes, she is connected to the occult and she looks for him in a dream - a phone call suggests Finney's dream is more truth. Overall a much expanded/altered role in the film.

Read it, it's a pretty good tale - all 7250 words of it.

DoctorZaius
07-02-2022, 07:36 PM
Watched The Lost City tonight. Loved Brad Pitt, but the film is nowhere near as good as the Romancing the Stone, the film it seems to be emulating. Even with my low expectations going in it was not very good. 5/10.

Merlin1958
07-07-2022, 07:41 PM
Firestarter Bad!!!! :deadhorse: :bkick: :emot-flame: :bkick::Ball Kick:

Mattrick
07-07-2022, 11:20 PM
Top Gun: Maverick gets a 4/5 from me. It's been a long time since I watched the original, but I recall the romantic aspect being more prominent. It was basically reduced to about 4 scenes in this movies and it made me feel nothing. Who even was she? I know she owns a bar and likes sailing and I guess she did Maverick before. Was she even related to the first movie at all? A total dud of a subplot there. The actual flying sequences were awesome and the main plot itself was sparse yet still focused on the task, which I enjoyed. There wasn't too much forced conflict for the sake of drama and it mostly stuck to the mission.

I also noticed how politically correct the film was. We have no idea who where this reactor is, who built it, why, and they are nebulously referred to as "the enemy." Is this just an attempt not to rely on a tired red or foreign menace, or a clever jab that anyone that isn't America is "the enemy".

That last scene of the film make me vomit. What kind of person pulls up in front of a hangar and says to her tween daughter, "Go inside there and look around until you find Maverick and then suggestively stare into his eyes so he will somehow understand that he is supposed to stop what he is doing and walk outside where I will be waiting for him whoreishly leaning up against my sports car all sexy-like?" Honestly, this was the most unrealistic scene in this film. Maverick could've avoided a missile by doing 17 consecutive backflips with such speed and force it causes him to ejaculate at such an unheard of speed it become divine and it flies into the troposphere and miraculously gives Iceman a facial that cures him instantly and simultaneously brings Goose back to life, and then Maverick could shoot down 26 fighter jets blindfolded and I would've thought that ending with Jennifer Connelly was still the most unrealistic thing in the film. What the fuck even was that?

fernandito
07-08-2022, 08:39 AM
Matt

1. Yes, the romantic subplot was the most undercooked element in TG:M, honestly the film could have gone without it and nothing changes
2. I was curious about the 'enemy' as well; figured they were just being PC, and not wanting to name nations given the sensitivity of things going between Russia and Ukraine etc.,

webstar1000
07-08-2022, 04:09 PM
THOR.
What a Psychedelic trip. Colourful and fun. Bale is always on his game. Really enjoyed it. I think Ragarock was better But not by a lot. Im really waiting to see the big Thanos level threat and also ready for the properties they bought from FOX to start becoming the major part of the MCU. It’s ready…

fernandito
07-08-2022, 04:19 PM
I'm catching Thor tomorrow, matinee. Can't wait to join the discussion(s)! :biggrin:

Mattrick
07-08-2022, 09:46 PM
That I hear it isn't as good as Ragnarok is kind of turning me off checking it out. I liked Ragnarok, but I only gave it a 3/5. The Asgard stuff bored me to tears. Gladiator Planet and Goldblum was very fun though. If people who loved Ragnarok don't think this one is as good then I'll wait to watch on streaming.

DoctorZaius
07-09-2022, 09:03 AM
Thor: Love and Thunder is a really fun ride. Lots of humor mixed into acts one and two and a rousing act three. Bale continues to show why he's the best in the business right now. Like many have noted, not as good as Ragnarok, but still in the top half of Marvel films. 8.5/10

fernandito
07-11-2022, 11:02 AM
That I hear it isn't as good as Ragnarok is kind of turning me off checking it out. I liked Ragnarok, but I only gave it a 3/5. The Asgard stuff bored me to tears. Gladiator Planet and Goldblum was very fun though. If people who loved Ragnarok don't think this one is as good then I'll wait to watch on streaming.

Honestly it pains me to say this cause I love Waititi and Ragnarok, but L&T is a bit of a mess - tonally, structurally. There's just too many contrivances and half baked ideas. It has some funny bits and cool visuals, but as a whole it's just not cohesive.

Enjoyed my time with it in theaters and glad I got to see it, but I won't be in any kind of rush to watch it again. I'll give it a generous 3/5 stars.

Merlin1958
07-16-2022, 09:04 PM
I stumbled upon a little gem (IMHO) called "The Man Who Invented Christmas". Stars, Christopher Plummer (maybe not his best work but hey, he's Christopher Plummer!! lol). It's a loose biography on the writing of "A Christmas Carol". I found it enjoyable and somewhat thought provoking speculating on his 5.5 beers out of sixand the process and such. I thought it was a solid 4.5 beers out of six on the RFMRS. Give it a go and see what you think. It's currently available on, Showtime.

EDIT: Man, I'm sure a site chock full of book collectors can appreciate it, imagine holding a true first edition of that tome!! I wonder if the original hand written draft is under museum glass somewhere. Fucking awesome. lol

This film loosely reminded me of another very good, and personal favorite, "Immortal Beloved". It's a drama/biography on the life of, Ludwig Von Beethoven. Of special note are the scenes shown whilst the 9th Symphony/"Ode to Joy" is playing. The film stars, Gary Oldman and Isabella Rossellini. Like I said it's a personal favorite so that may be worth a half a beer. I rate it a 5.5 beers out of six on the RFMRS.

St. Troy
07-19-2022, 07:03 AM
The Man Who Invented Christmas is great - great cast (Plummer as Scrooge, Dan Stevens as Charles Dickens, Jonathan Pryce as Charles' father John), great story (it was a bit of a miracle that the book was written, finished, and published on time), and great way of telling that story (I think many who haven't seen this would enjoy it).

While I certainly don't own a first edition of A Christmas Carol, I've been in the room with a few of them, and touched one that had been rebound (around 1903) in green leather with gems embedded in it (I think it was available for $30k).

I can't help anyone seeking a first edition (maybe check in with Alec), but you can buy a decent replica from the Charles Dickens museum: https://dickensmuseum.com/collections/christmascarol/products/a-christmas-carol-charles-dickens-museum-edition

Still Servant
07-19-2022, 03:28 PM
Top Gun: Maverick gets a 4/5 from me. It's been a long time since I watched the original, but I recall the romantic aspect being more prominent. It was basically reduced to about 4 scenes in this movies and it made me feel nothing. Who even was she? I know she owns a bar and likes sailing and I guess she did Maverick before. Was she even related to the first movie at all? A total dud of a subplot there. The actual flying sequences were awesome and the main plot itself was sparse yet still focused on the task, which I enjoyed. There wasn't too much forced conflict for the sake of drama and it mostly stuck to the mission.

I also noticed how politically correct the film was. We have no idea who where this reactor is, who built it, why, and they are nebulously referred to as "the enemy." Is this just an attempt not to rely on a tired red or foreign menace, or a clever jab that anyone that isn't America is "the enemy".

That last scene of the film make me vomit. What kind of person pulls up in front of a hangar and says to her tween daughter, "Go inside there and look around until you find Maverick and then suggestively stare into his eyes so he will somehow understand that he is supposed to stop what he is doing and walk outside where I will be waiting for him whoreishly leaning up against my sports car all sexy-like?" Honestly, this was the most unrealistic scene in this film. Maverick could've avoided a missile by doing 17 consecutive backflips with such speed and force it causes him to ejaculate at such an unheard of speed it become divine and it flies into the troposphere and miraculously gives Iceman a facial that cures him instantly and simultaneously brings Goose back to life, and then Maverick could shoot down 26 fighter jets blindfolded and I would've thought that ending with Jennifer Connelly was still the most unrealistic thing in the film. What the fuck even was that?

Penny Benjamin is actually mentioned in the original film, so it's not like she was completely fabricated for the sequel.

She’s brought up by Meg Ryan, who said Goose told her about "the time you went ballistic with Penny Benjamin." I believe she's mentioned another time as well.

webstar1000
07-22-2022, 12:24 PM
NOPE.
Got up early here in San D and went to a 4DX to catch a film I really wanted to see. It’s good. Well done but I have more questions now than I did before and I cannot tell if that’s a good or bad thing with this film. Some very good scenes here…. Very well shot too. I’d give it a 8/10

DoctorZaius
07-22-2022, 06:33 PM
NOPE.
Got up early here in San D and went to a 4DX to catch a film I really wanted to see. It’s good. Well done but I have more questions now than I did before and I cannot tell if that’s a good or bad thing with this film. Some very good scenes here…. Very well shot too. I’d give it a 8/10

I am still processing this one, having just gotten home from a 7PM viewing. There is a lot to process as the underlying meanings of Peele's films. I found the film to be a little too slow in it's first act, but I gradually gave myself over to it. Peele has become one of those directors that people who love movies go out to see, and with that comes a heightened anticipation. In the end, it didn't quite live up to my self-imposed hype. 7.5/10

Mattrick
07-22-2022, 11:01 PM
Saw Nope. I give it a 3/5 though it gets the bump to 3.5/5 on letterboxd. You can read my thoughts here: https://letterboxd.com/mattrickbt/film/nope/

Iwritecode
07-25-2022, 05:34 AM
Watched The Gray Man last night.

Ryan Gosling basically plays Jason Bourne/John Wick and Chris Evans goes 180 from his usual roles and plays the asshole bad guy. Also Billy Bob Thornton is in it as well as a 12-year-old girl with a pacemaker for reasons.
That's pretty much all you need to know about the movie.

I did LOL at one point when Chris Evans character said something like "How hard is it to shoot somebody?" when like 30 guys are trying to shoot one single guy but all seem to have the aiming skills of Star Wars storm troopers. Of course the good guy has the aim of Legolas.

It was an OK action movie but nothing really groundbreaking. Gosling can actually be pretty funny with some of his dead-pan delivery. Seeing Evans play a really bad guy that has no issues shooting/killing people was definitely a change.

I'd give it about a 6.5/10 overall.

St. Troy
07-25-2022, 08:42 AM
...the good guy has the aim of Legolas.

Good one; I will have to remember this.

Randall Flagg
07-25-2022, 04:31 PM
Nope.
Viewed on an Imax screen today.

Wide in scope and vision, but exasperatingly tedious, the message...if there is one fails in delivering anything of substance.
I'm fine with a great movie that leaves things up to the viewer to decipher, yet muddy water is difficult to see into.

3/6 beers on the RFSRS.

fernandito
08-08-2022, 09:50 AM
Prey was damn good. Not a masterpiece, but a worthy addition to the Predator pantheon. It went back to the basics that made the alien such a terrifying force in the first place.

Appreciated the little callouts to past films, and I think the main actress did a great job.

4/5

webstar1000
08-08-2022, 10:21 AM
Prey was damn good. Not a masterpiece, but a worthy addition to the Predator pantheon. It went back to the basics that made the alien such a terrifying force in the first place.

Appreciated the little callouts to past films, and I think the main actress did a great job.

4/5

Agree with this.

OldCrow88
08-09-2022, 05:25 PM

4/5

Agree with this.

I'll second that. WAY better than I expected.

Randall Flagg
08-13-2022, 07:55 AM
Viewed "Emily the Criminal" yesterday.
Aubrey Plaza is a hell of an actress. Known mostly for her comic roles, she proves she is fantastic at dramas too. Saddled in student debt, and delivering food for low wages and no benefits, she accepts a friends suggestion to get a job where she can make $200 in one hour being a mystery shopper using a bogus credit card. Of course things get more tense as she takes on riskier, higher paying tasks.

5/6 beers on the RFSRS.

Randall Flagg
08-23-2022, 05:02 PM
Viewed "Emily the Criminal" yesterday.
Aubrey Plaza is a hell of an actress. Known mostly for her comic roles, she proves she is fantastic at dramas too. Saddled in student debt, and delivering food for low wages and no benefits, she accepts a friends suggestion to get a job where she can make $200 in one hour being a mystery shopper using a bogus credit card. Of course things get more tense as she takes on riskier, higher paying tasks.

5/6 beers on the RFSRS.

Apparently no one has seen this movie, or if they did, it wasn't worth commenting on.

Garrell
08-23-2022, 07:11 PM
It is on my list just because of Aubrey.

Tommy
08-25-2022, 01:28 AM
Prey 4/4
Not reinventing the wheel but I can't find any fault in it.

NOPE (X 2) 4/4
Saw it twice and want to see it again. Insidiously layered film.

Orphan (re-watch) 3.5/4
The first watch was WTH and the second watch was LMAO.

In the Mouth of Madness (re-watch) 3.5/4
Some really bad music for the opening and ending credits and some of those practical effects didn't hold up to what The Thing still delivers. Still a freaky movie.

Merlin1958
08-25-2022, 12:54 PM
Prey 4/4

NOPE (X 2) 4/4

Orphan (re-watch) 3.5/4

Some really bad music for the opening and ending credits and some of those practical effects didn't hold up to what The Thing still delivers. Still a freaky movie.

Yeah, it was freaky alright. Always thought of it in the same vein as "Event Horizon". That film gives me the creeps big time for some reason!! lol

Tommy
08-25-2022, 01:05 PM
Prey 4/4

NOPE (X 2) 4/4

Orphan (re-watch) 3.5/4

Yeah, it was freaky alright. Always thought of it in the same vein as "Event Horizon". That film gives me the creeps big time for some reason!! lol

I love the scene where he asks the older woman at the hotel if she painted the picture and she says "Oh hell no". LOL

Ya know I don't think I ever saw Event Horizon. If I did, I don't remember and need a re-watch.

fernandito
08-25-2022, 01:32 PM
Event Horizon still creeps me tf out to this very day. I've seen it 100 times and it never fails to make me uneasy watching it.

Tommy
08-25-2022, 01:57 PM
Not streaming anywhere I have access to so maybe my guy has a copy of it. He loves Sci-Fi.

OldCrow88
08-25-2022, 04:33 PM
Saw it on the big screen when it was first in theaters. Yeah, creepy af.

Ricky
09-03-2022, 07:05 AM
Watched Fresh last night and loved it. One of those where it's best to go in knowing as little as possible.

Still Servant
09-05-2022, 08:03 AM
Agreed! Fresh was one of my favorite Sundance films and has been one of my favorite films of the year.

fernandito
09-07-2022, 01:29 PM
That's the one with Sebastian Stan, right? If so I've had that on my Hulu queue for a while but haven't gotten around to it.

Ricky
09-07-2022, 03:59 PM
That's the one!

Your homework is to watch it tonight!

Still Servant
09-07-2022, 04:05 PM
That's the one with Sebastian Stan, right? If so I've had that on my Hulu queue for a while but haven't gotten around to it.

And Daisy Edgar Jones. She's about to blow up.

Randall Flagg
09-10-2022, 08:33 AM
Viewed "Barbarian" yesterday at the theater. Refreshing, violent, funny movie that pays homages to earlier horror films, yet blazes its own path. Great idea with some interesting changes of pace and twists. I don't want to give anything away as it's best to see with as little advance knowledge as possible.
5/6 Beers on the RFSRS.

DoctorZaius
09-10-2022, 09:19 AM
Watched Ouija: Origin of Evil, and stange as it may sound, it was pretty good. The reviews for the first the series were not good, so my daughter and I just jumped to the sequel. It turned out to be a real fun romp. 7.5/10

Ricky
09-10-2022, 09:41 AM
Yeah, Origin of Evil is one of those cases of a horror prequel being better than the original.

Mattrick
09-10-2022, 09:56 AM
Watched Ouija: Origin of Evil, and stange as it may sound, it was pretty good. The reviews for the first the series were not good, so my daughter and I just jumped to the sequel. It turned out to be a real fun romp. 7.5/10

It's Mike Flanagan

St. Troy
09-10-2022, 12:57 PM
Yeah, Origin of Evil is one of those cases of a horror prequel being better than the original.

Absolutely, highly recommend.

Ricky
09-10-2022, 03:58 PM
Viewed "Barbarian" yesterday at the theater. Refreshing, violent, funny movie that pays homages to earlier horror films, yet blazes its own path. Great idea with some interesting changes of pace and twists. I don't want to give anything away as it's best to see with as little advance knowledge as possible.
5/6 Beers on the RFSRS.

I saw this today and enjoyed it. It's dark, suspenseful, and unexpectedly funny. It's definitely best to go in knowing as little as possible because there are lots of unexpected turns. It's kind of like three movies in one, really. All the performances are solid, too. I'd only dock it points because the structure makes it just a tad disjointed, and the climax reveal was one I've seen in a couple films before.

In terms of tone and batshit craziness, it kind of reminded me of Malignant.

Tommy
09-12-2022, 06:23 AM
It's definitely a fun movie and one I did not see coming. I do have a specific question about the plot that maybe someone can help with, don't read if you haven't seen....

How were Tess and Keith able to make appointments to stay at that house when the owner never heard about it or his property manager? Who booked those stays for those two? I probably missed that part but I don't remember.

webstar1000
09-12-2022, 07:15 AM

It's Mike Flanagan

I have an interview coming out I did with Mike in a new magazine about King and all his work:) Ill be sure to post a link when its published this fall! BIG things coming from this guy:)

Randall Flagg
09-12-2022, 11:28 AM
It's definitely a fun movie and one I did not see coming. I do have a specific question about the plot that maybe someone can help with, don't read if you haven't seen....

How were Tess and Keith able to make appointments to stay at that house when the owner never heard about it or his property manager? Who booked those stays for those two? I probably missed that part but I don't remember.
IIRC, the issue was never clarified.

Tommy
09-12-2022, 11:42 AM

So perhaps a major plot hole or a device to set up a sequel or prequel. Of all things, that got stuck in my head right after the movie and I couldn't figure it out.

Randall Flagg
09-12-2022, 05:35 PM

So perhaps a major plot hole or a device to set up a sequel or prequel. Of all things, that got stuck in my head right after the movie and I couldn't figure it out.

I think it's something to not over-analyze. Many a movie has quirks. It's only if they become big hits that people start to ruminate/speculate as to possible plot holes, mistakes etc. (IIRC it's called "fridge logic". You get home after a viewing and open the refrigerator, and a plot hole grabs you and you can't shake it loose.

pathoftheturtle
09-23-2022, 05:49 PM

Honestly it pains me to say this cause I love Waititi and Ragnarok, but L&T is a bit of a mess - tonally, structurally. There's just too many contrivances and half baked ideas. It has some funny bits and cool visuals, but as a whole it's just not cohesive.

Enjoyed my time with it in theaters and glad I got to see it, but I won't be in any kind of rush to watch it again. I'll give it a generous 3/5 stars.

Thor: Love and Thunder has all of the ingredients that made Thor: Ragnarok a hit; they're just not as well blended. Ragnarok was a character drama set in action-adventure, laced throughout with comedy and nostalgia. Love and Thunder is also a character drama set in action-adventure, but not until the third act. The first 3/4 of the movie is all comedy. The early action scenes are comedic action completely. Ragnarok alternated its elements beat-by-beat, presenting a moment of excitement, a laugh, a display of psychology, and then around again. Love and Thunder (until it suddenly turns into something entirely different) has no true thrills and no new character insights; it's all played for laughs, broken up only by the villain's story, which does have thrilling action and character psychology, but is all suitable, incompatibly, to horror. It's disappointing that the really affecting plot that comes at the end will never be appreciated. Most audiences obviously had made their minds up already about what they were watching before the last battle commenced.

fernandito
09-27-2022, 08:08 AM
And not to mention they completely wasted Bale's Gorr the God Butcher villain. How you land an Oscar winner and squander all the potential of the character is beyond me. Especially since Ragnarok's Hela was excellent and one of the best non-Thanos MCU villains.

Ricky
09-27-2022, 03:17 PM
My review of 'Spirit Halloween: The Movie' (https://wickedhorror.com/horror-reviews/spirit-halloween-is-light-on-scares-but-heavy-with-heart/)

Aremag
09-27-2022, 06:09 PM
The Munsters was just god awful. It has to be one of the worst movies I've ever suffered through. I have no clue who keeps letting Rob Zombie make movies and put his non actor wife in every one.

fernandito
09-30-2022, 07:45 AM
Barbarian was a trip lol. Went into it knowing literally nothing about the movie other than it was a horror flick and it starred Bill Skarsgaard.

Fun theater experience. It helped that everyone in the theater was into it as well. Catch it before it stops showing!

4/5

Ricky
09-30-2022, 01:51 PM
Re: Barbarian: I think that Justin Long shoving the girl off the roof has got to be one of the jerkiest character moves in all of film. :lol:

fernandito
09-30-2022, 02:25 PM
Re: Barbarian: I think that Justin Long shoving the girl off the roof has got to be one of the jerkiest character moves in all of film. :lol:

The best part was his b.s explanation afterward "Oh I didn't throw you, your hand was slipping and that's why you fell off" LMAO.

Also as soon as I saw Justin Long I knew he was gonna die a horrible death. What is it with him in horror films and getting disfigured!? Gets his eyes ripped out in Jeepers Creepers, gets turned into a freaking Walrus in Husk, and gets his head popped in Barbarian. Poor guy can't catch a break!

Mattrick
09-30-2022, 03:42 PM
And not to mention they completely wasted Bale's Gorr the God Butcher villain. How you land an Oscar winner and squander all the potential of the character is beyond me. Especially since Ragnarok's Hela was excellent and one of the best non-Thanos MCU villains.

I thought she was pretty forgettable. Then again I thought all the Asgard stuff in Ragnarok to be pretty boring so it's probably forgettable to me for that reason. If the entire movie were on Goldblum's gladiator planet I would have loved it, but they kept showing Asgard stuff and harshing my buzz. Too much Asgard, not enough Thor getting electrocuted.

Tommy
10-02-2022, 07:53 PM
Pleased to be one of the very few that saw Bros because it is a really good movie. 3.5/4

Randall Flagg
10-03-2022, 08:54 AM
2022 is the year of the horror movie. The latest very good movie is "Smile". I viewed it Friday in a local theater. Although it doesn't break any new ground, the movie is just well done in all aspects-acting, directing, cinematography, lighting, sound, etc.

A Psychotherapist at a busy local hospital is overworked and gets insufficient rest. As a child, she witnessed her mothers overdose death, and it subconsciously wears on her. One day a young lady comes in the hospital raving about an evil force that appears with a ghoulish smile on his face. Suddenly the patient cuts her own throat in front of the doctor. Soon thereafter, the doctor starts to have similar "illusions".

Full of jump-starts, with perhaps one or two many flashback/dream scenes, the tension builds to a crescendo.

I hesitate to give any more away.

5/6 beers on the RFSRS.

webstar1000
10-03-2022, 10:02 AM
2022 is the year of the horror movie. The latest very good movie is "Smile". I viewed it Friday in a local theater. Although it doesn't break any new ground, the movie is just well done in all aspects-acting, directing, cinematography, lighting, sound, etc.

A Psychotherapist at a busy local hospital is overworked and gets insufficient rest. As a child, she witnessed her mothers overdose death, and it subconsciously wears on her. One day a young lady comes in the hospital raving about an evil force that appears with a ghoulish smile on his face. Suddenly the patient cuts her own throat in front of the doctor. Soon thereafter, the doctor starts to have similar "illusions".

Full of jump-starts, with perhaps one or two many flashback/dream scenes, the tension builds to a crescendo.

I hesitate to give any more away.

5/6 beers on the RFSRS.

I know.. this, Pearl and Barbarians I really wanna see however the past couple weeks have been a no go. I should have my property fixed up by the end of next weekend! I just got power today!!

DoctorZaius
10-03-2022, 02:23 PM
I too saw Smile this weekend, with my two daughters (18 & 20). We all enjoyed it very much. I would very much like to see a sequel/prequel. This one needs some further explanation down the road. 7.5/10

Still Servant
10-11-2022, 06:26 PM
I don't get all the hate for Don't Worry Darling. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

OldCrow88
10-12-2022, 05:36 PM

The big twist...meh.

Still Servant
12-02-2022, 06:06 PM
The Banshees of Inisherin is destined to be one of those films that a lot of people don't see, but I think it's one of the best films of the year. The film is packed with fantastic performances and its relatively basic plot shouldn't be as captivating as it is. It's also one of the more genuinely funny films of the year.

Martin McDonagh doesn't make a lot of films, but so far he hasn't missed.

Ricky
12-02-2022, 06:38 PM

I feel like it was only in my theater for a hot minute, then it was gone, so I missed it.

Still Servant
12-02-2022, 06:45 PM

I feel like it was only in my theater for a hot minute, then it was gone, so I missed it.

Yup. Films like that are a thing of the past when it comes to theater releases.

fernandito
12-06-2022, 08:40 AM
Don't Worry Darling was a fine movie, don't get all the hate for it. It's all the extracurriculars that happened outside of the movie probably.

The concept needed a lot more fleshing out but the execution was fine enough. Gets a 3/5 from me.

webstar1000
12-15-2022, 05:53 PM

Tommy
12-16-2022, 01:42 AM
My bf has taken me to see Violent Night two weekends in a row now. He loves that movie but is not a big horror fan but it's so damn violent and he loves Christmas. I really like David Harbour's Santa and the movie is fun...and violent. Also, Beverly D'Angelo still commands a scene and gets some of the best lines. 3/4

Mattrick
12-17-2022, 01:29 AM
I rewatched Burning. Incredible film. So much depth, so little resolution. My ideal kind of film. That natural lighting photography. Muah!