PDA

View Full Version : Rate The Last Movie You Saw.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

webstar1000
12-03-2018, 06:10 AM
I had a chance to see Mile 22 and Halloween yesterday. I found it odd that Mile 22 had mainly poor review and Halloween mainly positive. Halloween was nothing more than the last 15 of them. I mean it was something to watch but I am glad I never paid to go to the theater to see it. Nothing fresh there. Mile 22 I LOVED. I thought the ending was fantastic as I didn't expect it. Other than Mark Walburg was a little over the top in his role.. I LOVED THE MOVIE. Great action thriller for sure.

Merlin1958
12-03-2018, 02:23 PM
I had a chance to see Mile 22 and Halloween yesterday. I found it odd that Mile 22 had mainly poor review and Halloween mainly positive. Halloween was nothing more than the last 15 of them. I mean it was something to watch but I am glad I never paid to go to the theater to see it. Nothing fresh there. Mile 22 I LOVED. I thought the ending was fantastic as I didn't expect it. Other than Mark Walburg was a little over the top in his role.. I LOVED THE MOVIE. Great action thriller for sure.

Gotta agree with you regarding "Mile 22". Pleasantly surprised and yeah, Markie-Mark laid it on a tad thick, but he didn't kill the flick. It was tight and had a good story.

Good call, Kris-Miester!!!

webstar1000
12-04-2018, 05:17 AM

Gotta agree with you regarding "Mile 22". Pleasantly surprised and yeah, Markie-Mark laid it on a tad thick, but he didn't kill the flick. It was tight and had a good story.

Good call, Kris-Miester!!!

Yep maybe because I was expecting the worst Bill... but I loved it. lol

Randall Flagg
12-04-2018, 08:07 AM
Green Book:
Fascinating look at what the south was like in the early 1960's, and a great road trip movie. Engaging and witty. 5/6 Beers on the RFSRS.

webstar1000
12-04-2018, 08:46 AM
Green Book:
Fascinating look at what the south was like in the early 1960's, and a great road trip movie. Engaging and witty. 5/6 Beers on the RFSRS.

RF, any 6/6 beers for you that you have seen?

Randall Flagg
12-04-2018, 02:15 PM
Green Book:

RF, any 6/6 beers for you that you have seen?

Of the 52 plus movies I have seen in a theater this year, there are a handful of 5.5 beers, but I don't believe I rated any 6 beers.
I try to reserve 6 beers for a movie that for me may come along once every 2 or 3 years.
If I rated 20% of the movies I've viewed as 6, then I would be a sellout to myself.

Still Servant
12-04-2018, 04:58 PM
Green Book:

I want to see this. I'm hoping it opens wider soon.

Randall Flagg
12-08-2018, 07:17 AM
The Favourite:

Normally I don't enjoy costume period pieces, but this movie was a pleasure. Loosely based on Queen Anne's rule in the early 1700's the movie is quite funny. Throwing in over the top costumes, set decorations, and even a break dance routine (yes a break dance) and showing the power women held behind the scenes, the only only difficult part was understanding the British inflection English. Olivia Colman as the fragile queen is fabulous, Rachel Weisz as the queen's friend, puppet master and lover nails the role, and Emma Stone as the former "Lady" now trying to climb back up the social ladder into the queens chambers (and bed) is a force to be reckoned with.

5/6 beers on the RFSRS.

Mattrick
12-08-2018, 02:00 PM
Green Book - Simply a wonderful, wonderful film. Viggo and Mahershala killed, and the rest of the supporting cast (Linda Cardellini was the only one I knew by name) did a fine job as well. I wasn't expecting the film to be so damn funny. I was expecting humour, sure, but the film was practically a comedy. It reminded me a lot of a recent road trip film, Philomena, which I love as well. I was quite happy that it wasn't too on the nose when it came to racism, considering the subject matter. It really focused a lot more on the friendship between the two and the way their shared experience impacted them. And I enjoyed that when it came to racism it wasn't all 'look at these evil white folk', but it showed a lot of nuance and it showed how subtle and ingrained the racism is, instead of being overt. And even in situations where one would consider something to be based on racism, such as a scene near the end involving a bar, it's based on experience with people and not prejudiced. It might be my favourite film of the year so far.

5/5

Still Servant
12-10-2018, 07:04 PM
The Favourite:

Normally I don't enjoy costume period pieces, but this movie was a pleasure. Loosely based on Queen Anne's rule in the early 1700's the movie is quite funny. Throwing in over the top costumes, set decorations, and even a break dance routine (yes a break dance) and showing the power women held behind the scenes, the only only difficult part was understanding the British inflection English. Olivia Colman as the fragile queen is fabulous, Rachel Weisz as the queen's friend, puppet master and lover nails the role, and Emma Stone as the former "Lady" now trying to climb back up the social ladder into the queens chambers (and bed) is a force to be reckoned with.

5/6 beers on the RFSRS.

This is one that I've dying to see for a while. I may have to travel to see this one in theaters.

Let me ask you, RF, have you seen any of the other films Yorgos Lanthimos has directed (Dogtooth, The Lobster, The Killing of a Sacred Deer)?

Randall Flagg
12-11-2018, 07:22 AM
I saw The Lobster and enjoyed it. The Favourite isn't quite so "absurd".

fernandito
12-11-2018, 04:02 PM
Dogtooth is one of my all time favorite foreign films. Probably top 20.

Still Servant
12-12-2018, 04:32 PM
I saw The Lobster and enjoyed it. The Favourite isn't quite so "absurd".

Yeah, I'm hearing it's his most mainstream and accessible film. My theater in town doesn't have it his weekend, but many of the other theaters around me seem to be showing it, so I don't have to go too far to see it.

mae
12-15-2018, 06:55 AM
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse was such an amazing experience. Go see it as soon as you can! And make sure it's on a huge screen, preferably in Dolby Cinema or such, which is how I saw it. It's beautiful to look at, pure art. And it is so funny. My whole theater was in stitches throughout. Also stick around to the very end, there's a really funny end credits scene. In all, this is definitely the best animated film of this year and one of the best films of the year period. It's easily making my own Top 10 for sure.

Earl of Popkin
12-15-2018, 10:34 AM
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse was such an amazing experience. Go see it as soon as you can! And make sure it's on a huge screen, preferably in Dolby Cinema or such, which is how I saw it. It's beautiful to look at, pure art. And it is so funny. My whole theater was in stitches throughout. Also stick around to the very end, there's a really funny end credits scene. In all, this is definitely the best animated film of this year and one of the best films of the year period. It's easily making my own Top 10 for sure.

Have yet to hear even a single lukewarm review of this. Can’t wait to see

Merlin1958
12-15-2018, 05:50 PM
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

I know not a new film, but it's a golden oldie and a fucking funny movie hands down. A Xmas tradition in out house every year. The holiday cannot proceed until we have viewed it together one evening!!! So, the family (sans the grandchildren) watched it this evening and the laughs still abound!!!

6/6 beers on the RFSRS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQXuazYI_YU

DoctorZaius
12-15-2018, 08:43 PM
Just got home from seeing Creed II - loved every minute of it (except maybe the wife's singing, Creed's wife, not mine). A great addition to the Rocky franchise. Just so much fun! 9/10

Randall Flagg
12-16-2018, 07:47 AM
The Mule:

Classic (modern) Eastwood movie. Eastwood plays a ~90 year old Daylily grower who has spent more time on the road than with his family. With his house being foreclosed on, a chance meeting gets him a job delivering packages-no questions asked. As the delivery sizes increase, so do the risks, and the payoffs. Slowly paced, but never boring, Eastwood "delivers" the good in the movie.

4/6 beers on the RFSRS

webstar1000
12-16-2018, 10:41 AM
Bird Box. I absolutely loved this movie. Kept my attention the whole time edge of your seat style. It’s close to the book to with some pretty cool changes. So well done. 9/10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still Servant
12-16-2018, 03:58 PM
Bird Box. I absolutely loved this movie. Kept my attention the whole time edge of your seat style. It’s close to the book to with some pretty cool changes. So well done. 9/10

This opened at a theater near you?

webstar1000
12-16-2018, 04:01 PM

No,
It was on the download site I used and I have a pretty impressive home theatre. I loved it... it really a fun movie escape!

allasorte
12-16-2018, 06:07 PM

No,
It was on the download site I used and I have a pretty impressive home theatre. I loved it... it really a fun movie escape!

I may or may not watch this some how or some way this evening or maybe not. :pirate:

St. Troy
12-16-2018, 06:24 PM
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

I know not a new film, but it's a golden oldie and a fucking funny movie hands down...

Hell yeah - an old fashioned family Christmas indeed.

Mattrick
12-17-2018, 02:23 PM
The Mule: A good film that was fairly entertaining with some really good scenes. It was missing something though, something ineffable that could've elevated the material even more. I read some criticisms that Cooper's character was totally bland, as were Fishburne and Pena, who were his boss and parter. And sure their characters were anything special, but I did appreciate that they felt like DEA agents who are in tunnel vision, only caring about getting this sting. And really, that's what their job is, and they're pretty no-nonsense about it. I think that story either had too much devoted to it, or not enough. I did enjoy the humour of the films and I liked Earl's relationship with the members of the cartel. I had read a review that complain of the films xenophobia, casual racism, and stereotypical portrayal of Mexican cartel members, with assault rifles and neck tattoos...but I felt the film actually did a good film of portraying the cartel members as something other than evil, mindless thugs. They laugh with Earl, crack jokes, and one thanks him for asking about his niece. If anything, the film showed that people get sucked into that kind of life, but they're not bad people inherently. The "casual racism" was basically a couple mild, off-handed comments Earl makes, but he says them without malice and as 90 year man who is out of touch, but also without a filter. For instance, while on a run, he sees a young family on the side of the road, and he pulls over to help them out. They're black, and Earl says "negroes" and they say they don't like to be called that, and Earl says "Mea culpa". The idea that Earl's character is racist for saying negroes despite the fact he would've helped that young family with a flat tire no matter their race, I think is not seeing the forest for the trees.

The film definitely could've been better. I think it mostly comes down the script. It's a little bland, which probably accounts for the criticisms I've read about the performances. The story though is good. But even with that, I still can't put my finger on what is missing from this movie. It's very small and simple that was overlooked by the filmmakers. But I enjoyed myself and I'd probably watch it again down the road.

3/5

webstar1000
12-17-2018, 05:20 PM
Aqua man. What a surprise!!! Went in with Lowe expectations and was blown away. Wow.... I would give it an 8.5 and equal to Wonder Woman. Such a good theatre experience!!!

allasorte
12-18-2018, 06:28 PM

This move reminded me of the similar concept from "The Happening." Before you go into a rage and assume "Bird Box" is just as bad, you can relax. "Bird Box" was much better. It had likable characters and stellar acting from Sandra Bullock. I felt that John Malkovich stole the show. It was great to see a ton of character development with so many characters. I rooted for many, but there were a few I was hoping would have an ending. There were "missing" parts of the story to give you questions and I am hoping this doesn't open up a vast universe of 18 more sequels and prequels. Overall I felt the movie was very good, very well acted, and had a nice concept. The negatives would be I didn't feel the river sequences were plausible and that the river sequences gave away too much. When you see the movie you will understand. Overall it is something people should enjoy from beginning to end. A nice horroresque type thriller. 7/10

webstar1000
12-19-2018, 04:58 AM

This move reminded me of the similar concept from "The Happening." Before you go into a rage and assume "Bird Box" is just as bad, you can relax. "Bird Box" was much better. It had likable characters and stellar acting from Sandra Bullock. I felt that John Malkovich stole the show. It was great to see a ton of character development with so many characters. I rooted for many, but there were a few I was hoping would have an ending. There were "missing" parts of the story to give you questions and I am hoping this doesn't open up a vast universe of 18 more sequels and prequels. Overall I felt the movie was very good, very well acted, and had a nice concept. The negatives would be I didn't feel the river sequences were plausible and that the river sequences gave away too much. When you see the movie you will understand. Overall it is something people should enjoy from beginning to end. A nice horroresque type thriller. 7/10

WHat did the river give away? I am unsure what you mean?

fernandito
12-19-2018, 12:02 PM
Spider Man : Into The Spiderverse

A vibrantly colored and intoxicating charm of a movie. It's not enough to say that it's 'the best Spiderman movie ever made', it's a great film in its own right.

True to it's comic book origins, the animated style gives it creative license to play with the conventions of film story telling and manages to tell a compelling coming of age tale without retreading the mythos of the original Spider Man (the film tongue-in-cheek recaps and pokes fun of this in a quick 30 second prelude to the movie).

While the film is entertaining from start to finish, the best bits happen once all of members of the Spider verse meet. While each of them are Spider Men (and Women), the events that shaped each of them in their respective dimension vary, yet each share a common thread of loss and yearning for redemption. Their worlds might be different, but the mantra of 'Great Power, Great Responsibility' resonates strongly in each of them.

Great for comic book fans, great for Spider Man fans, great for family entertainment.

4/5

Still Servant
12-19-2018, 04:29 PM

A vibrantly colored and intoxicating charm of a movie. It's not enough to say that it's 'the best Spiderman movie ever made', it's a great film in its own right.

True to it's comic book origins, the animated style gives it creative license to play with the conventions of film story telling and manages to tell a compelling coming of age tale without retreading the mythos of the original Spider Man (the film tongue-in-cheek recaps and pokes fun of this in a quick 30 second prelude to the movie).

While the film is entertaining from start to finish, the best bits happen once all of members of the Spider verse meet. While each of them are Spider Men (and Women), the events that shaped each of them in their respective dimension vary, yet each share a common thread of loss and yearning for redemption. Their worlds might be different, but the mantra of 'Great Power, Great Responsibility' resonates strongly in each of them.

Great for comic book fans, great for Spider Man fans, great for family entertainment.

4/5

People seem to be gushing over this one. I'm hoping to find the time to fit it in. The theater has become quite packed all of a sudden.

Also, it's great seeing your thoughts about a movie. I feel like it's been too long.

allasorte
12-19-2018, 05:06 PM

The movie is showing you "times" so I was assuming when she was on the river with the two kids, everyone else were either dead or insignificant. I still truly enjoyed the movie, just wish they didn't give away too much like that. They surely didn't show you at all what the demons or monsters looked like which I liked. But it would have been nice to get a glimpse.

webstar1000
12-20-2018, 05:31 PM
Bumblebee... how it should have been the whole time. My fav Transformers film BUT was definitely more geared to kids. Still a lot of fun!!! 8/10

webstar1000
12-20-2018, 05:32 PM

The movie is showing you "times" so I was assuming when she was on the river with the two kids, everyone else were either dead or insignificant. I still truly enjoyed the movie, just wish they didn't give away too much like that. They surely didn't show you at all what the demons or monsters looked like which I liked. But it would have been nice to get a glimpse.

See I like that.... getting there is the journey.. if that makes sense lol

fernandito
12-21-2018, 10:06 AM
Also, it's great seeing your thoughts about a movie. I feel like it's been too long.

Thanks my dude. Feels good to write a review again. Hopefully I can get back into the groove.

RUBE
12-24-2018, 05:34 AM

4/5

I took my son to see this last night and I pretty much agree with everything you said. This has to at least be nominated for best animated feature. I'm glad we chose this over Bumblebee.

Mattrick
12-27-2018, 05:11 PM
They Shall Not Grow Old: A really good documentary that is pretty unique in terms of presentation. Much of the film is done through voiceovers from WW1 soldiers. And since they're long dead, there were no talking heads really allowed the spoken experiences and memories to give the images more weight and context. What really gives it weight though is that despite not knowing any of the soldiers names, either through voiceover or on the screen, the documentary was really about living through WW1 and not about World War 1. World War 1 was the end of an era when it came to wars, since World War 2 changed the face of warfare forever (but warfare has even evolved not to resembles WW2 anymore). I really liked the stuff about the Germans they'd captured and the way the soldiers talked about them with fondness and without hatred, and a mutual empathy for how similar they were to themselves, and it's hard to believe warfare ever had any kind of mutual respect or understanding for the plights of your enemies. The epilogue especially was quite sad, as soldiers who'd survived returned to an apathetic England who were disinterested in the war and what they'd been through, and the isolation the soldiers felt. It must have been a horrible feeling. Especially when you think after winning World War 2 the hero's welcome those soldiers got. I suppose that really speaks to the general pointlessness of World War 1 when compared to the evil that had to be defeated in World War 2.

The efforts they put into adding colour and sound to black and white, silent film footage that's 100 years old was quite amazing to behold. It really helps make it feel more real. Book-ending the film with black and white, silent footage really heightened their work, when you see the imperfections in the film, not to mention the janky movements from the low frame rate cameras from those days. I do wish my theatre had a 3D cut of the film because it would've just felt that little bit more real, but I can't complain. Considering it's a 2 hour documentary with no real throughlines other than war starts and war ends, the two hours just flew right by because it was that engrossing.

5/5

Still Servant
12-31-2018, 11:06 AM
They Shall Not Grow Old: A really good documentary that is pretty unique in terms of presentation. Much of the film is done through voiceovers from WW1 soldiers. And since they're long dead, there were no talking heads really allowed the spoken experiences and memories to give the images more weight and context. What really gives it weight though is that despite not knowing any of the soldiers names, either through voiceover or on the screen, the documentary was really about living through WW1 and not about World War 1. World War 1 was the end of an era when it came to wars, since World War 2 changed the face of warfare forever (but warfare has even evolved not to resembles WW2 anymore). I really liked the stuff about the Germans they'd captured and the way the soldiers talked about them with fondness and without hatred, and a mutual empathy for how similar they were to themselves, and it's hard to believe warfare ever had any kind of mutual respect or understanding for the plights of your enemies. The epilogue especially was quite sad, as soldiers who'd survived returned to an apathetic England who were disinterested in the war and what they'd been through, and the isolation the soldiers felt. It must have been a horrible feeling. Especially when you think after winning World War 2 the hero's welcome those soldiers got. I suppose that really speaks to the general pointlessness of World War 1 when compared to the evil that had to be defeated in World War 2.

The efforts they put into adding colour and sound to black and white, silent film footage that's 100 years old was quite amazing to behold. It really helps make it feel more real. Book-ending the film with black and white, silent footage really heightened their work, when you see the imperfections in the film, not to mention the janky movements from the low frame rate cameras from those days. I do wish my theatre had a 3D cut of the film because it would've just felt that little bit more real, but I can't complain. Considering it's a 2 hour documentary with no real throughlines other than war starts and war ends, the two hours just flew right by because it was that engrossing.

5/5

Great insight here! I really want to see this one, but docs never open up near me.

Randall Flagg
01-09-2019, 12:14 PM
Escape Room:

6-pack of no name actors stuck in a series of escape rooms. Typical assortment-introverted college savant, game nerd, dirt bag grocery clerk, hot shot investment advisor, trucker, and female PTSD veteran.

All share one background quirk. Trick is to guess who gets picked off first (and last). Movie makers screw the viewer with an ending that almost commands a sequel, from a movie that commands a quick January release demise.

3/6 beers on the RFSRS

Ricky
01-09-2019, 04:12 PM
I'm looking forward to Escape Room. I don't think it'll be anything groundbreaking, but it looks like good mindless fun.

Randall Flagg
01-09-2019, 06:06 PM
I'm looking forward to Escape Room. I don't think it'll be anything groundbreaking, but it looks like good mindless fun.
It was for me (good mindless fun). Not a great movie, but I don't regret the $6 matinee price I paid for a reserved power reclining seat in a well appointed theater.

WeDealInLead
01-10-2019, 09:26 AM
Cargo - A Netflix zombie flick starring Martin Freeman. Simple story of a man who literally fought for his daughter until his last breath. If, like me, you thought Bird Box was devoid of any feeling of tension and dread, this might be a good watch. It's a similar premise, both are survival stories in which the "monster" isn't all that important. It reminded me of Brian Keene's The Rising and The Walking Dead when it was still watchable. 3.5/5

Bleach. Eh. It was okay. Watch the original anime or read the manga if you have the time. This was like Cliff's notes of the story. 2/5

Deadpool. Hilarious but unlike a proper good movie, no rewatchability quality here. Once the jokes are out, they're out and without those, Deadpool is just another soulless superhero flick. 3/5.

Randall Flagg
01-10-2019, 06:05 PM
Vice:

Great black comedy look at the mysterious yet ultimately powerful Dick Cheney. Literally the puppeteer behind the inept George W Bush presidency, Cheney obviously changed the way things are done in Washington. The filmmakers break through the fourth wall, have a premature film ending, make you laugh, and make you deeply concerned with what lies ahead in our future. Christian Bale does his amazing immersion and becomes Cheney. Amy Adams is the puppeteer behind Cheney, just as Cheney was the puppeteer behind Bush. Fantastic performances by all involved, but IMO none worthy of winning an Academy award.

4/6 Beers on the RFSRS.

Still Servant
01-10-2019, 06:19 PM
Vice:

Great black comedy look at the mysterious yet ultimately powerful Dick Cheney. Literally the puppeteer behind the inept George W Bush presidency, Cheney obviously changed the way things are done in Washington. The filmmakers break through the fourth wall, have a premature film ending, make you laugh, and make you deeply concerned with what lies ahead in our future. Christian Bale does his amazing immersion and becomes Cheney. Amy Adams is the puppeteer behind Cheney, just as Cheney was the puppeteer behind Bush. Fantastic performances by all involved, but IMO none worthy of winning an Academy award.

4/6 Beers on the RFSRS.

I agree with everything you said, except I think Bale is worthy of an Oscar. I didn't see Christian Bale, I saw Dick Cheney.

The other scene I loved was the Shakesspeare scene. Briliant.

fernandito
01-11-2019, 02:23 PM
Glass is sitting at %36 on Rotten Tomatoes :cry:

Randall Flagg
01-11-2019, 02:43 PM
Replicas:

This mish-mash of a movie takes 4 or 5 good Sci-fi and moral plots, throws them in a blender, clones them, then uses the spilled effluvium to create a vomit mess. The worst part is the use of our favorite Verizon spokesperson as an assistant to Keaanu Reeves.

2/6 beers on the RFSRS

webstar1000
01-11-2019, 03:18 PM

I’m heartbroken over this :(

allasorte
01-11-2019, 04:36 PM
Replicas:

This mish-mash of a movie takes 4 or 5 good Sci-fi and moral plots, throws them in a blender, clones them, then uses the spilled effluvium to create a vomit mess. The worst part is the use of our favorite Verizon spokesperson as an assistant to Keaanu Reeves.

2/6 beers on the RFSRS

agree wholeheartedly

Still Servant
01-13-2019, 03:15 PM
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7894/32857326528_b7546c4466.jpg

Mattrick
01-14-2019, 08:04 PM
That's on my radar as I'm a huge Dano fan.

fernandito
01-15-2019, 01:09 PM

I'm still gonna watch it tho idgaf

Still Servant
01-15-2019, 02:48 PM

Ditto that shit.

webstar1000
01-15-2019, 02:49 PM

Ditto that shit.

Oh me too. DBOX seats for Thursday night first showing.

webstar1000
01-17-2019, 05:51 PM
GLASS.... half full? Or have empty? Parts were awesome and parts... not so much. 6.5/10 cause I did like it... and brought back memories. Didn’t love it Thou

Still Servant
01-17-2019, 06:16 PM
GLASS.... half full? Or have empty?

Very nice! I see what you did there.

That's too bad you didn't enjoy it more. Kind of bumming me out. I'm hearing one of the main gripes is the ending.

webstar1000
01-17-2019, 06:20 PM
GLASS.... half full? Or have empty?

Very nice! I see what you did there.

That's too bad you didn't enjoy it more. Kind of bumming me out. I'm hearing one of the main gripes is the ending.

I’m not saying I didn’t. But I wanted to elaborate and love this film. Unbreakable was a huge fav of mine and in my top 10 believe it or not. I loved the last scene in Split and couldn’t wait for this which might be throwing me off but... not sure how I feel. But love isn’t that emotion. Go see it though if you loved the first one. It has its moments where it shines and I had a big grin ear to ear.

webstar1000
01-18-2019, 05:32 AM
I feel compelled to write more here on Glass. I can NOT stop thinking about it. OR talking about it with friends, co-workers and family. Is that not a good thing? Is that not what a film is.... making you think on it long after you leave the theater? Did M. Night give the fans of Unbreakable what thy wanted but we wanted a big fancy display of superheros and show like we get in the 7+ superhero movies that are released a year during these times? Did I not get the subtle brilliance that was Unbreakable and Split to a degree? Maybe I did. Maybe I was just being a spoiled brat when I left last night because the Hulk didn't smash everything and Iron Man didn't swoop in and save the day.... I cannot say much more because of the ending.. BUT is that why the reviews are bad? The more I think of it... the more I believe it to be so. I think I am going to change my mindset and see this again. I think it commands it and lets be honest.... these feelings I have are JUST what the mark of a good movie is. I liked it better today then I did last night. That 'glass' is more half full this morning.

MikeDuke
01-18-2019, 07:06 AM
I saw unbreakable. I liked it when I saw it but now I think I like it more. I have Split in 4k waiting to be watched so I can't comment on that. I still want to see Glass. If I get to theater to see it great. If not, I will wait for video. But I do agree that this is probably much different then the superhero movies we are used to seeing and that may be why it's such a low number. I can't think off hand but I know that there were movies that I liked that got bad reviews so I really don't go by them. M night can be hit or miss. I have just seen a few of M Nights films. I have seen The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, Signs, The Happening, and his TV show Wayward Pines which I liked. Now, I know everyone was so wowed with the Sixth Sense, but I guessed the twist without even seeing the movie. Eventually I did see the movie and liked how he directed it. I will probably see Glass because I liked Unbreakable and the good buzz that was on Split. But there are movies that you have to sit on for a few days and then say, you know what, that was pretty good movie. Maybe this is one of those. Thanks for your thoughts Kris.

Ricky
01-19-2019, 02:15 PM
Escape Room:

6-pack of no name actors stuck in a series of escape rooms. Typical assortment-introverted college savant, game nerd, dirt bag grocery clerk, hot shot investment advisor, trucker, and female PTSD veteran.

All share one background quirk. Trick is to guess who gets picked off first (and last). Movie makers screw the viewer with an ending that almost commands a sequel, from a movie that commands a quick January release demise.

3/6 beers on the RFSRS

Saw it today and enjoyed it for what it was. Never boring, entertaining throughout, and often suspenseful. I do wish the ending were a little more conclusive, though, especially since I don't see us getting a sequel.

Still Servant
01-19-2019, 02:53 PM
I saw it today as well and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I'm not quite sure where the negative reviews are coming from. If you're someone that liked Unbreakable and Split, then Glass should also be something you enjoy. Since both films were fairly well received, it would make sense for Glass to be well received as well. Not sure what happened there.

Garrell
01-19-2019, 07:00 PM
Finally watched Split. Great acting and decent story.

Shannon
01-19-2019, 10:17 PM
How have I not heard about this? Attention all Turbo Kid fans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8kFIbmmuEk

Randall Flagg
01-20-2019, 09:43 AM
The Upside:

I went into the movie expecting great acting and quite a few laughs, and was met by OK performances and not a lot of funny moments. Most of the performances seemed flat or throttled. Nicole Kidman was a total waste of talent, Kevin Hart seemed at times to believe he was in a deep drama instead of a comedy, and Cranston could only do so much acting with just his head.

3/6 Beers on the RFSRS.

Jean
01-21-2019, 01:34 AM
Glass is sitting at %36 on Rotten Tomatoes :cry:at the main Russian cinephile site (Кинопоиск) it's almost 7 out of 10. I am yet to see it; loved Unbreakable and wasn't much impressed with Split. In the reviews, everyone reviles the twist(s), but that's everyone's usual complaint with MNS. I personally have nothing against twists.

webstar1000
01-23-2019, 04:58 AM
POLAR on Netflix. l got the chance to see it early and it’s unreal good. You need to put this on your list. Mads M..... steals the show. 9/10

webstar1000
01-23-2019, 06:22 AM
POLAR on Netflix. l got the chance to see it early and it’s unreal good. You need to put this on your list. Mads M..... steals the show. 9/10

I still cannot believe how good that was. Might even say 10/10 as there is NOTHING I would change. Not one thing.

Still Servant
01-23-2019, 05:30 PM

I still cannot believe how good that was. Might even say 10/10 as there is NOTHING I would change. Not one thing.

Is this the one you mentioned to me a while back?

webstar1000
01-23-2019, 05:33 PM

Yes be VERY excited for this. I just did a second viewing I loved it so much. This will be a hard movie to beat for me this year. I hope to see more POLAR from Netflix. I will beg for it. It comes out Friday. I know your taste and if you don’t love this... I’ll be blown away. Please let me know what you think after you see it !

Still Servant
01-23-2019, 05:37 PM

Yes be VERY excited for this. I just did a second viewing I loved it so much. This will be a hard movie to beat for me this year. I hope to see more POLAR from Netflix. I will beg for it. It comes out Friday. I know your taste and if you don’t love this... I’ll be blown away. Please let me know what you think after you see it !

Will do! It's only January, so if this stays as your #1 all year, that's saying something.

webstar1000
01-23-2019, 05:38 PM

Will do! It's only January, so if this stays as your #1 all year, that's saying something.

It’s just so damm well done. But yes.... it’s early! Lol

Randall Flagg
01-23-2019, 06:14 PM
What’s depressing is that not only is the movie such a slog in its desperation to be edgy, but it also shows little development in its idea of edginess from Åkerlund’s clip for the Prodigy’s “Smack My Bitch Up,” famously banned from MTV in 1997. It’s all the same drugs, sex, and violence, shot through the same lens, for its own sake. Neither contribute too much to humanity, but one takes a lot less time to watch.

Randall Flagg
01-23-2019, 06:19 PM
Every movie can not be a 9/10 or a 10/10.

Starting out in January saying "This will be a hard movie for me to beat this year" sets a very high bar. There has to be some nuance in reviews, otherwise weeding through reviews begins to establish a pattern that eliminates the actual reviewers.

webstar1000
01-24-2019, 02:33 AM
Every movie can not be a 9/10 or a 10/10.

Starting out in January saying "This will be a hard movie for me to beat this year" sets a very high bar. There has to be some nuance in reviews, otherwise weeding through reviews begins to establish a pattern that eliminates the actual reviewers.

Have a watch and let me know your thoughts.

Randall Flagg
01-26-2019, 07:38 AM
I admit I have a morbid interst about certain weird things. Trainwrecks, 2-headed snakes, and other curiosities. Perhaps that's why I like January where studios dump bad movies. Although there usually are a few gems to be found in January, most pictures are failed visions, made by people with all the skills required to produce a beautiful looking, and sounding movie, but a vision that's is flawed, incoherent, or ludicrous.

One such recent movie was Replicas.
This brings me to the latest enigma out there.

Serenity:

What starts out as perhaps a modern day Moby Dick, quickly turns into possibly a murder thriller film noir, then abruptly starts to be a sci-fi flick; I kid you not. Featuring Mathew McConaughey as "Baker Dill" (who is actually John-go figure) as a fisherman on the island of Plymouth. Screwing Diane Lane when he is short on money, and on a mission to catch his monster tuna "Justice" his world is twisted when his ex, Anne Hathaway shows up wanting Dill to take her abusive husband for a one-way fishing trip.
Then things really turn. Featuring some of the most ridiculous lines by a chain smoking McConaughey (he puts Humphrey Bogart to shame), you might just start giggling aloud.

3/6 Beers on the RFSRS.

Still Servant
01-26-2019, 12:09 PM
I admit I have a morbid curiosity about certain things. Trainwrecks, 2-headed snakes, and other curiosities. Perhaps that's why I like January where studios dump bad movies. Although there usually are a few gems to be found in January, most pictures are failed visions, made by people with all the skills required to produce a beautiful looking, and sounding movie, but a vision that's is flawed, incoherent, or ludicrous.

One such recent movie was Replicas.
This brings me to the latest enigma out there.

Serenity:

What starts out as perhaps a modern day Moby Dick, quickly turns into possibly a murder thriller film noir, then abruptly starts to be a sci-fi flick; I kid you not. Featuring Mathew McConaughey as "Baker Dill" (who is actually John-go figure) as a fisherman on the island of Plymouth. Screwing Diane Lane when he is short on money, and on a mission to catch his monster tuna "Justice" his world is twisted when his ex, Anne Hathaway shows up wanting Dill to take her abusive husband for a one-way fishing trip.
Then things really turn. Featuring some of the most ridiculous lines by a chain smoking McConaughey (he puts Humphrey Bogart to shame), you might just start giggling aloud.

3/6 Beers on the RFSRS.

I noticed the most recent trailer for Serenity made it look much weirder. Like there's something supernatural going on on the island.

Ricky
01-26-2019, 04:05 PM
Although there usually are a few gems to be found in January, most pictures are failed visions, made by people with all the skills required to produce a beautiful looking, and sounding movie, but a vision that's is flawed, incoherent, or ludicrous.

That's actually a pretty good assessment of January movies. There's also ones that are crap all around. :lol:

Your thoughts on Replicas seem to be the consensus also, especially evidenced by it lasting a week at my theater. I'll definitely be watching on DVD, though. Looks fun, though I won't be expecting anything groundbreaking.

And I was looking forward to Serenity. Still want to see it, but weird that you guys say something supernatural since I didn't get that at all (but I only saw the first trailer).

Heather19
01-27-2019, 07:21 AM
Saw Glass last night and really enjoyed it. I need to go read some reviews now, because I'm not sure what people didn't like about it. I loved the ending, and thought it fit perfectly with the film. I also didn't really see it as a twist like a lot of the other endings to his films. If you enjoyed both Unbreakable and Split then I think you would really enjoy this one as well. It fits in nicely with the others. And yes it is a much quieter and slower film than an action superhero movie. But so were the others, so I would have been surprised it if was anything but that.

WeDealInLead
01-27-2019, 08:46 AM
Tau - pretty neat take on our relationship with AI and theirs with us. A low key but perfectly serviceable "brain movie". 3/5

Polar. Ha. Ha. Ha. DNF. I get what this movie was trying to do, but I'm not masochistic enough to watch the whole damned thing. -1ⁿ/5

DoctorZaius
01-27-2019, 12:27 PM
Finally too the family to see Bohemian Rhapsody - loved it. It's like a concert. 9/10

Randall Flagg
01-27-2019, 01:35 PM
Tau - pretty neat take on our relationship with AI and theirs with us. A low key but perfectly serviceable "brain movie". 3/5

Polar. Ha. Ha. Ha. DNF. I get what this movie was trying to do, but I'm not masochistic enough to watch the whole damned thing. -1ⁿ/5

What is -1 with the n?

Regardless, but Polar just took a hit to it's average score.

WeDealInLead
01-27-2019, 01:54 PM
Oh, I think I held 1 too long and it turned into n. The rating is -1.

Mattrick
01-28-2019, 03:23 AM
Although there usually are a few gems to be found in January, most pictures are failed visions, made by people with all the skills required to produce a beautiful looking, and sounding movie, but a vision that's is flawed, incoherent, or ludicrous.

That's actually a pretty good assessment of January movies. There's also ones that are crap all around. :lol:

Your thoughts on Replicas seem to be the consensus also, especially evidenced by it lasting a week at my theater. I'll definitely be watching on DVD, though. Looks fun, though I won't be expecting anything groundbreaking.

And I was looking forward to Serenity. Still want to see it, but weird that you guys say something supernatural since I didn't get that at all (but I only saw the first trailer).

Going into Week 3, Replicas lost 96% of it's theatres, which is one of the largest losses of all time. Top 10 or 15. #1 is Cure for Wellness

webstar1000
01-28-2019, 04:59 AM
IM AM FLOORED that anyone would not love Polar.....

allasorte
01-28-2019, 03:50 PM
IM AM FLOORED that anyone would not love Polar.....

A bit cheesy and too unrealistic for me. Not many likable characters except for Mads. 5/10 for me.

Still Servant
01-28-2019, 06:10 PM

Going into Week 3, Replicas lost 96% of it's theatres, which is one of the largest losses of all time. Top 10 or 15. #1 is Cure for Wellness

I'm surprised to see that Cure for Wellness is #1. Honestly, I think that film is a bit misunderstood and I've been of the thinking since I saw it in theaters that it's the kind of film that time will be good to. We shall see.

fernandito
01-30-2019, 09:48 AM
Saw Glass last night and really enjoyed it. I need to go read some reviews now, because I'm not sure what people didn't like about it. I loved the ending, and thought it fit perfectly with the film. I also didn't really see it as a twist like a lot of the other endings to his films. If you enjoyed both Unbreakable and Split then I think you would really enjoy this one as well. It fits in nicely with the others. And yes it is a much quieter and slower film than an action superhero movie. But so were the others, so I would have been surprised it if was anything but that.

I saw Glass last night. Honestly I'm not sure where I stand with it yet.. essentially I did like it, but there are many decisions that MNS took that kinda baffled me if I'm being honest.

It's hovering around a 6.5/10 for me at the moment but it might change in the next few days.

webstar1000
01-30-2019, 09:57 AM

I saw Glass last night. Honestly I'm not sure where I stand with it yet.. essentially I did like it, but there are many decisions that MNS took that kinda baffled me if I'm being honest.

It's hovering around a 6.5/10 for me at the moment but it might change in the next few days.

EXACTLY how I felt.

Heather19
01-30-2019, 11:00 AM

What choices did you not like?

Mattrick
02-01-2019, 03:44 AM
Book Club: This movie was on my radar for the talented cast (Diane Keaton, Jane Fonda, Mary Steenburgen, Candice Bergen, Andy Garcia, Craig T. Nelson, Don Johnson, Richard Dreyfus, Wallace Shawn). The first third of the movie started out pretty strong and I got a lot of laughs out of it. But as most Rom-Coms tend to do, the formulaic turns the four stories take aren't very captivating, and the arcs of these characters are basically spelled out throughout the film. Pretty much the most enjoyable part of the film was the comedy around 50 Shades of Grey and getting to know all the characters. The actors are all delightful and elevate the banal arcs for their entertaining, but fairly flat characters. Some of the photography in the film was off...there were a few shots where the film just looked downright ugly. When stacked up against all the "Old Dudes Still Got It" films of the past while, I'd rate this "Old Chicks Still Got It" film above them, mostly because it's not embarrassing watching these old women because they're not shells of their former selves.

3/5

Jean
02-01-2019, 05:39 AM
I have been watching Polish films, because, first, I've always respected their cinema, and second (more important for me at the moment) because I've been studying the Polish language. The movies like Krótki film o miłości (A Short Film about Love) by Krzysztof Kieslowski, and many others I don't think anyone has ever heard of.

Well. What can I say. I still respect them, but I am yet to see a Polish drama film (except Knife in the Water) I could love. They are all very good, no, really good. But so incredibly boring. It's like, nothing ever happens, outside or inside, physically or spiritually. There is no narrative. You have to rely on symbols, on ideas, on atmosphere to keep you awake - but it is not enough. Beautiful cinematography isn't enough. Music isn't enough. Nothing is - except there being a good story told by a good director by means of movie language. But none of the Polish films I've seen so far (with the one obvious expection) have this simple constutuent

St. Troy
02-01-2019, 09:38 AM
I also liked Book Club, nice story, killer cast.

Randall Flagg
02-01-2019, 04:22 PM
First off; this is a documentary movie.

They Shall Not Grow Old:

Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings) was allowed access to hundreds of hours of film and audio recordings from World War One (The Great War). Painstaking restoration of the film and audio, as well as brilliant colorization of the black and white footage results in this fabulous documentary.

Post credits is a ~25 minute explanation of how the actual process and decisions that went behind the making of the movie came about.

6/6 Beers on the RFSRS.

Keep in mind that I rarely give a 6/6 (less than 1 per year on average), and this is the rating for a documentary, not a fiction film.

webstar1000
02-01-2019, 04:45 PM
Where did you see that RF? 6/6... I’m in.

Still Servant
02-01-2019, 04:57 PM
First off; this is a documentary movie.

They Shall Not Grow Old:

Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings) was allowed access to hundreds of hours of film and audio recordings from World War One (The Great War). Painstaking restoration of the film and audio, as well as brilliant colorization of the black and white footage results in this fabulous documentary.

Post credits is a ~25 minute explanation of how the actual process and decisions that went behind the making of the movie came about.

6/6 Beers on the RFSRS.

Keep in mind that I rarely give a 6/6 (less than 1 per year on average), and this is the rating for a documentary, not a fiction film.

I'm dying to see his one! My local theaters aren't playing it, so I may have to travel to see it. Looks like it might be worth it.

Mattrick
02-01-2019, 05:24 PM
They Shall Not Grow Old is a great. I caught it back after Christmas. I'm going to go see it again since my theatre didn't have the 3D version, which I really wanted to see.

Randall Flagg
02-02-2019, 06:59 AM
Where did you see that RF? 6/6... I’m in.

I viewed it at a theater about 20 miles from me.

DoctorZaius
02-02-2019, 12:11 PM
Just saw Green Book. I had high expectations, and man were they exceeded. Loved every minute of it. The levity was a big surprise. This one is certainly deserving of all its praise, and then some. The two leads are outstanding. 9.5/10

Ricky
02-02-2019, 07:15 PM
Saw an advance screening of Alita: Battle Angel the other day. Having no prior knowledge of Alita aside from the trailer, I went in pretty blind. It was enjoyable, the action was entertaining, and Rosa Salazar brought a lot of heart and intensity to Alita (the motion capture was great, too), and the effects were pretty well done (it didn't hurt that it was in Dolby 3D, either). Where it failed for me was an unfocused plot, underdeveloped characters, and an ending that literally made me drop my jaw because it felt like the movie was missing it's second half. After watching, I found out there are other Alita sequels in the manga series, so I'm sure that's what they were going for, but it wasn't just a cliffhanger. It was like it was missing a huge chunk of the movie.

Saw Serenity today and wow. What the hell. Now I know why it's down to one showtime in my theater after only a week. Tonally confused, terrible acting choices from Anne Hathaway, cringe-worthy dialgoue, and an overall sense of "what the hell were they thinking with these choices?" Went in expecting a good, old-fashioned, intense thriller and that's not at all what the final product is, as the trailers lead us to believe. I don't think I'd recommend this one at all, except so that I could talk about its terribleness with others. But if you want to see multiple scenes of a naked Matthew McConaughey having sex with women in order to pay for fishing materials, Serenity is for you!

Garrell
02-02-2019, 07:32 PM
Just watched First Man. Was decent and great acting. I would recommend it. 4 outta 6.

Still Servant
02-03-2019, 07:52 AM
Saw an advance screening of Alita: Battle Angel the other day. Having no prior knowledge of Alita aside from the trailer, I went in pretty blind. It was enjoyable, the action was entertaining, and Rosa Salazar brought a lot of heart and intensity to Alita (the motion capture was great, too), and the effects were pretty well done (it didn't hurt that it was in Dolby 3D, either). Where it failed for me was an unfocused plot, underdeveloped characters, and an ending that literally made me drop my jaw because it felt like the movie was missing it's second half. After watching, I found out there are other Alita sequels in the manga series, so I'm sure that's what they were going for, but it wasn't just a cliffhanger. It was like it was missing a huge chunk of the movie.

Saw Serenity today and wow. What the hell. Now I know why it's down to one showtime in my theater after only a week. Tonally confused, terrible acting choices from Anne Hathaway, cringe-worthy dialgoue, and an overall sense of "what the hell were they thinking with these choices?" Went in expecting a good, old-fashioned, intense thriller and that's not at all what the final product is, as the trailers lead us to believe. I don't think I'd recommend this one at all, except so that I could talk about its terribleness with others. But if you want to see multiple scenes of a naked Matthew McConaughey having sex with women in order to pay for fishing materials, Serenity is for you!

You are the first person I know that has seen Alita, so it's interesting to hear your thoughts. I may give it a shot in theaters. That film has been in development for like 8 years, so I wasn't sure about the quality. From your thoughts, it seems like it's at least enjoyable from a technical marvel standpoint.

As for Serenity, I think that is one of those films people will be talking about for a long time in regards to a film that should have worked, but went terribly wrong. I find films like that really interesting.

As for me, I saw The Kid Who Would Be King last week and was pleasantly surprised. I'm constantly getting on Hollywood for not making films about kids for kids, so I had to show my support for this one. It's directed by Joe Cornish, who directed Attack the Block, a fantastic, underrated film. It also stars Andy Serkis's son.

fernandito
02-03-2019, 10:01 AM

I was hoping he'd give them a bigger canvas to play in. Was hoping to see them and their ideologies clashing on a much larger scale. Think Batman and Joker in The Dark Knight. Don't know if I agree with them being confined and kept apart for 90% of the movie. :\

Mattrick
02-03-2019, 11:10 AM
I don't think I'll ever be able to watch Alita: Battle Angel. I can't get passed that ugly CGI face with the massive eyes. I can't look at that for over two hours for what sounds like a totally average film.

https://akamai-platform.foxfilm.com/s3/production/201812/5e6cff49dd8ba8335a2b6e1467053f4d2d96feac.jpg

Ricky
02-03-2019, 11:16 AM
You are the first person I know that has seen Alita, so it's interesting to hear your thoughts. I may give it a shot in theaters. That film has been in development for like 8 years, so I wasn't sure about the quality. From your thoughts, it seems like it's at least enjoyable from a technical marvel standpoint.

As for Serenity, I think that is one of those films people will be talking about for a long time in regards to a film that should have worked, but went terribly wrong. I find films like that really interesting.

As for me, I saw The Kid Who Would Be King last week and was pleasantly surprised. I'm constantly getting on Hollywood for not making films about kids for kids, so I had to show my support for this one. It's directed by Joe Cornish, who directed Attack the Block, a fantastic, underrated film. It also stars Andy Serkis's son.

Alita is enjoyable in the turn-your-brain-off-and-watch-cyborgs-beat-up-other-cyborgs kind of way. If you go in expecting that, I think you'll enjoy yourself.

Serenity...I still don't know what to think about that thing. They even stopped promoting it because the test screenings were so bad. That's pretty bad when the movie bails on itself.

And I hadn't really given TKWWBK much thought. It seemed like a generic kids movie from the trailers, but seems like it's more enjoyable from what you said.

Still Servant
02-03-2019, 11:35 AM
Check out my first Quick Flicks Movie Round-up of 2019, featuring Glass, If Beale Street Could Talk, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, On the Basis of Sex, First Reformed and more.

The page has a brand new look and I'm now implementing a scoring system!

https://tinyurl.com/QuickFlicks19

mae
02-03-2019, 11:40 AM
I agree that Into the Spider-Verse is the best superhero film of all time.

webstar1000
02-03-2019, 11:54 AM
I agree that Into the Spider-Verse is the best superhero film of all time.

Did you forget THE Dark Knight??!?!

mae
02-03-2019, 12:04 PM
Better.

webstar1000
02-03-2019, 12:38 PM
Better.

Blasphemy

fernandito
02-03-2019, 01:51 PM
I'll have some of what ever Mae is smoking :emot-roflolmao:

webstar1000
02-03-2019, 03:21 PM
I'll have some of what ever Mae is smoking :emot-roflolmao:

Lol

Mattrick
02-03-2019, 04:31 PM
I think Spiderman has just been portrayed so terribly for so long, it makes Spiderverse seem so much better in comparison :p

webstar1000
02-03-2019, 04:33 PM
I think Spiderman has just been portrayed so terribly for so long, it makes Spiderverse seem so much better in comparison :p

Tom Holland IS Spiderman in my eyes. He is the first one to get it right. A cartoon just won’t cut it for me. I have not seen it but will when it comes out in home. I see every comic book movie in theatre and that didn’t interest me at all.

mae
02-03-2019, 04:54 PM
I have not seen it

Well, there you go. How can you compare The Dark Knight to something you haven't seen. I've seen pretty much every superhero movie since the original Superman (1978). Spider-Verse is the best superhero and comic book adaptation to date. Others that come close are Batman (1989), The Dark Knight, and Infinity War (for sheer audacity and spectacle). I'd also put the first Guardians of the Galaxy here. But Spider-Verse is just on a whole another level.

WeDealInLead
02-03-2019, 06:40 PM
No Watchmen on the list?

Still Servant
02-03-2019, 08:53 PM

Tom Holland IS Spiderman in my eyes. He is the first one to get it right. A cartoon just won’t cut it for me. I have not seen it but will when it comes out in home. I see every comic book movie in theatre and that didn’t interest me at all.

Cartoon? Come on, man. I'm not sure if you just chose a poor word, or you are intentionally trying to undercut the film. I'm not saying you have to like it, but at least call it an animated film. Afterall, it will likely win the Oscar for Best Animated Film, not Best Cartoon.

The thing about Spider-Verse that all live action comic book films will never be able to capture is that feeling of actually reading a comic book. For me, that's where Spider-Verse wins. As for Dark Knight, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I caught some of it on TV last year and the film kind of flattens out when Ledger isn't on screen. Honestly, I think the entire film is built on his performance and enhanced by his untimely death. Still a great film, but a decade later, I think some of the shine has dulled a bit for me.

(Welp, I've been friends with Fernando since 2005, we had a good run)

Mattrick
02-03-2019, 09:11 PM
Tom Holland's Spider-man is my least favourite. Was so happy to see him get dusted. Fuck that guy.

I still prefer The Dark Knight Rises to The Dark Knight.

webstar1000
02-04-2019, 04:57 AM

Cartoon? Come on, man. I'm not sure if you just chose a poor word, or you are intentionally trying to undercut the film. I'm not saying you have to like it, but at least call it an animated film. Afterall, it will likely win the Oscar for Best Animated Film, not Best Cartoon.

The thing about Spider-Verse that all live action comic book films will never be able to capture is that feeling of actually reading a comic book. For me, that's where Spider-Verse wins. As for Dark Knight, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I caught some of it on TV last year and the film kind of flattens out when Ledger isn't on screen. Honestly, I think the entire film is built on his performance and enhanced by his untimely death. Still a great film, but a decade later, I think some of the shine has dulled a bit for me.

cartoon. Yes... I have not watched them since I was a child cause I cannot stand them. Sorry.. not my thing.

Heather19
02-04-2019, 07:51 AM

I was hoping he'd give them a bigger canvas to play in. Was hoping to see them and their ideologies clashing on a much larger scale. Think Batman and Joker in The Dark Knight. Don't know if I agree with them being confined and kept apart for 90% of the movie. :\

I get what you're saying. I agree, although I'm also not disappointed in the route he chose. It wasn't my favorite of his films by any means, but I did enjoy it for what it was.

webstar1000
02-04-2019, 07:53 AM
Tom Holland's Spider-man is my least favourite. Was so happy to see him get dusted. Fuck that guy.

I think he is hands down far out and away the best so far. I cannot wait for his next film this summer!

Mattrick
02-04-2019, 11:36 AM

I think he is hands down far out and away the best so far. I cannot wait for his next film this summer!

Everyone seems to think so. I loathe him.

Still Servant
02-04-2019, 02:53 PM

cartoon. Yes... I have not watched them since I was a child cause I cannot stand them. Sorry.. not my thing.

You don't watch animated films!?! Some of the best films of the last 20 years have been animated. What don't you like about them? Most of them have themes that only adults could understand. The best ones aren't just for kids.

You're missing out on a lot of great movies.

Heather19
02-05-2019, 05:43 AM
There's so many great animated films. Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Song of the Sea, The Nightmare Before Christmas, just to name a few. Definitely not just made for kids. And some of the artwork in them is just amazing.

webstar1000
02-05-2019, 05:48 AM

You don't watch animated films!?! Some of the best films of the last 20 years have been animated. What don't you like about them? Most of them have themes that only adults could understand. The best ones aren't just for kids.

You're missing out on a lot of great movies.

YES I do... however... I just don't love them. Some are ok but there is something about them I cannot get into. Not sure what but I WILL watch the Spiderman movie and I doubt it will be the best comic book movie ever...that is for sure.

Mattrick
02-05-2019, 12:19 PM
This is the best animated film ever. don't even dare @ me over this one.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91%2BKaEhZKHL._SY445_.jpg

webstar1000
02-05-2019, 12:23 PM
This is the best animated film ever. don't even dare @ me over this one.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91%2BKaEhZKHL._SY445_.jpg

thumbsdownlarge

Mattrick
02-05-2019, 12:30 PM
Did you see it? The animation is unparalleled. And the story is fantastic. I was not expecting to end up where I did with the way that movie started. So many great turns along the way. Easily one of those films I can watch several times a year and never tire of it's beauty and charm. The total lack of a Best Animated Film Oscar nomination for it still astounds me.

https://i.imgur.com/Y0Z8twk.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/3GKHlyx.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/z13sSvW.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Tu4AkKE.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/LBT1A2S.png

allasorte
02-05-2019, 01:41 PM

You should check out the trilogy of "Berserk." Definitely not a cartoon.

WeDealInLead
02-05-2019, 02:00 PM
Berserk is most definitely not a cartoon. Neither is Akira. Or Ghost in the Shell. Or Grave of the Fireflies. Or Nausicaa. Most Ghibli Studio productions are adult films with mature themes.

Mattrick
02-05-2019, 02:17 PM
Made for adults or not... Those are all cartoons.

Cartoon: a motion picture using animation techniques to photograph a sequence of drawings rather than real people or objects.

Don't get the negative connotation of the word cartoon... Like debating a graphic novel isn't a comic book.

WeDealInLead
02-05-2019, 03:36 PM
I was pointing out the negative connotation the word "cartoon" has. I do, however, believe that a cartoon and an animated film aren't always the same, just like not every graphic novel is a comic book. If the whole story is told at once and sold as such, that's a graphic novel. The difference is subtle but it does exist. "Graphic novel" is a term people who read comics but don't want to admit it.

Are CGI heavy movies cartoons?

Still Servant
02-05-2019, 04:16 PM
YES I do... however... I just don't love them. Some are ok but there is something about them I cannot get into. Not sure what but I WILL watch the Spiderman movie and I doubt it will be the best comic book movie ever...that is for sure.

Well, to each his own.

I will watch Polar too, but I doubt it will be my favorite film of the year... that is for sure. :P

webstar1000
02-05-2019, 04:18 PM
I was pointing out the negative connotation the word "cartoon" has. I do, however, believe that a cartoon and an animated film aren't always the same, just like not every graphic novel is a comic book. If the whole story is told at once and sold as such, that's a graphic novel. The difference is subtle but it does exist. "Graphic novel" is a term people who read comics but don't want to admit it.

Are CGI heavy movies cartoons?

So far..... don’t forget that.

Earl of Popkin
02-05-2019, 05:04 PM

Well, to each his own.

I will watch Polar too, but I doubt it will be my favorite film of the year... that is for sure. :P

I have no dog in this race but have had this convo many times over the years. FWIW, the great Mads Mikkelsen of Polar fame says that graphic novels are non-superhero stories (no capes) and trade paperbacks are compilation of cape/cowl comic books.

And George Carlin says that when America has a condition, it treats the language and not the condition

And the folks on Madison Ave say that cartoons are defined as the thing you watch between sugary cereal and toy commercials

Also I think Spider-Man sucks (Daredevil for life bitches), but the Spider Verse movie was really really really good

Jerrika
02-05-2019, 07:34 PM
I saw Martin Scorsese's movie Hugo. I thought it was perfect and the cast was excellent. I would give it 5 out of 5 stars.

Mattrick
02-05-2019, 08:21 PM
Hugo is excellent. I was glad to have seen it in 3D.

Still Servant
02-06-2019, 03:54 PM
I saw Martin Scorsese's movie Hugo. I thought it was perfect and the cast was excellent. I would give it 5 out of 5 stars.

Hugo was one of the few films that utilized 3D to the best of its ability.

webstar1000
02-07-2019, 06:36 PM
Cold Pursuit. Reminded me of a Tarantino movie... an old one and a cross with Fargo. I really enjoyed it and laughed. LOT. 8/10

Mattrick
02-07-2019, 09:35 PM
I saw They Shall Not Grow Old again, this time in 3D, and what a different experience it was. It was definitely the way it film should be seen. The soldiers with that depth of field feel like paper cutouts, like if they turned, they'd vanish from sight altogether. Really added an eerie effect, as if watching ghosts.

Still Servant
02-08-2019, 02:15 PM
I saw They Shall Not Grow Old again, this time in 3D, and what a different experience it was. It was definitely the way it film should be seen. The soldiers with that depth of field feel like paper cutouts, like if they turned, they'd vanish from sight altogether. Really added an eerie effect, as if watching ghosts.

I just got back from it. It wasn't in 3D, but I thought it was pretty amazing. It's a technical marvel how they were able to restore that film to that quality. Honestly, it looks like it was filmed yesterday. Let me ask you, did your screening have the 30 minute making-of after the credits? I wasn't sure if that was on every screening.

Mattrick
02-09-2019, 01:03 PM

I just got back from it. It wasn't in 3D, but I thought it was pretty amazing. It's a technical marvel how they were able to restore that film to that quality. Honestly, it looks like it was filmed yesterday. Let me ask you, did your screening have the 30 minute making-of after the credits? I wasn't sure if that was on every screening.

I don't think the original 2-Day Fathom event had the 30 minute documentary after, but I also don't if know if it had Peter Jackson talking at the start as me and my friend arrived just before the title appeared. I would've stayed and watched it, but my friend was exhausted. I'm sure it's the sort of thing that will be easy enough to find on youtube in the coming months and I'll check it out then. I'm pretty sure every screening had the mini-doc after the credits this time around though.

Randall Flagg
02-09-2019, 01:55 PM
I viewed the 2-D version and Jackson appeared before the movie began, and there was the documentary post credits.

Randall Flagg
02-10-2019, 05:08 PM
Cold Pursuit:

Viewed today on Large Screen with Dolby Atmos.

Something about this Liam Neeson revenge movie didn't click. Several subplots (white yuppie gangster against American Indian dope dealers, young female cop wanting to investigate trouble in small ski town versus aging veteran who wants no trouble-and most unbelievable of all (Two of Yuppie gangsters being gay and making out right behind other henchmen, kidnapped child genius says he is undergoing "Stockholm Sydrom", then drives a snowplow massive truck...WTF? ), combine to make a bit of a mess.
Most unforgiving is that the Director plays Neeson straight and thus there is little or none of the wry humor associated with other Neeson "Taken" style movies.

3.5/6 beers on the RFSRS

Garrell
02-10-2019, 05:46 PM
Mile 22. Decent Wahlburg action flick. Goes by fast and is enjoyable. 3/6

Still Servant
02-11-2019, 05:53 PM
Cold Pursuit:

Something about this Liam Neeson revenge movie didn't click. Several subplots (white yuppie gangster against American Indian dope dealers, young female cop wanting to investigate trouble in small ski town versus aging veteran who wants no trouble-and most unbelievable of all (Two of Yuppie gangsters being gay and making out right behind other henchmen, kidnapped child genius says he is undergoing "Stockholm Sydrom", then drives a snowplow massive truck...WTF? ), combine to make a bit of a mess.
Most unforgiving is that the Director plays Neeson straight and thus there is little or none of the wry humor associated with other Neeson "Taken" style movies.

3.5/6 beers on the RFSRS

This one has actually gotten decent reviews. I thought it was going to get panned. I'm seeing it this week with my dad.

I didn't realize it's a remake of a foreign film by the same director.

webstar1000
02-11-2019, 06:06 PM
Cold Pursuit:

3.5/6 beers on the RFSRS

This one has actually gotten decent reviews. I thought it was going to get panned. I'm seeing it this week with my dad.

I didn't realize it's a remake of a foreign film by the same director.

Interested to hear what you thought. I thought it was a refreshing movie. I like it much more than RF

Randall Flagg
02-12-2019, 12:29 PM
What Men Want:

Somewhat of a reverse movie of "What Women Want" from 2000 that starred a then popular Mel Gibson. Ali (Taraji Henson) stars as the lone female sports agent in a male dominated company. When passed over for partner, Henson goes on a binge and ultimately while at a bachlorette party drinks a special "tea" from a crazy psychic (Eryka Badu as one of the few funny people in the movie). Soon after, while at a nightclub, she falls and hits her head. Suddenly she can hear men's thoughts.

Utterly predictable, maudlin, and rarely funny.

3/6 on the RFSRS.

mae
02-12-2019, 12:36 PM
Utterly predictable, maudlin, and rarely funny.

As seen in the trailer.

Randall Flagg
02-15-2019, 03:24 PM
January and February really are the dog days of August, the ides of March, etc. for movie releases.

Happy Death Day 2 U:

Take an amusing movie with a few compelling characters, sequel it, toss in Back to the Future 2, Weird Science, Groundhog Day, Scary Movie, and a few lesser know time travel movies, throw them in a blender, add a little Kale, blend on high for 1 minute. Pour the vomitus into a cup, do an elevator pitch and you have this terribly unfunny, unscary, movie.

2.5/6 beers on the RFSRS

Ricky
02-15-2019, 04:05 PM
It looks like more of the same (and the reviews seem to say the same thing), but I'll still see it. Looks like a fun, easy-watching, popcorn-munching movie where you know what you're gonna get. Sounds like you didn't have a good time with it, though?

Randall Flagg
02-15-2019, 04:11 PM
It looks like more of the same (and the reviews seem to say the same thing), but I'll still see it. Looks like a fun, easy-watching, popcorn-munching movie where you know what you're gonna get. Sounds like you didn't have a good time with it, though?
I wasn't bemused, I simply wasn't amused. I enjoy going to the movies, so even a "fair" movie is worth the $7 matinee price in a great theater.

Still Servant
02-15-2019, 07:45 PM
I enjoyed Cold Pursuit. It has a little more style than films of that nature. It also has a surprisingly wicked sense of humor. My main issue is that Liam Neeson is doing his thing for the first act of the film, which is awesome, but he disappears for most of the second act and in the third act he's pretty much just a bystander.

I guess I was expecting him to take things into his own hands a little bit more, but the film really turned into a war between the rival gangs with Neeson in the middle of it. An entertaining film, you can't ask for anything more in February.

Randall Flagg
02-22-2019, 05:23 PM
Fighting With My Family:

Plodding, predictable (based upon actual events a few years ago), maudlin, and just a bit creepy. Perhaps it's just me, but I damn near need subtitles for some of the English accents. A few funny parts, and of course Dwayne Johnson (The Rock-please submit $5 to the WWE for using his stage name) has charisma in his several brief appearances.

3.5/6 beers on the RFSRS

Mattrick
02-22-2019, 07:07 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing Fighting With My Family.

Merlin1958
02-22-2019, 07:21 PM
A Star is Born

Saw this with my daughter & wife and we all thought it to be a real disappointment. The acting was uninspired, Bradley Cooper was terrible and seemed to be impersonating, Sam Elliot. The musix was so-so and Lady Gaga was just "OK". It's been done before and much better in our opinion. We were all wishing for, Babs!!! lol lol

1.0 on the RFSRS

Randall Flagg
02-23-2019, 03:28 PM
'Todos los saben' (Everybody Knows). In Spanish with English subtitles:

A kidnapping mystery taking place outside Madrid Spain, the movie brings together an extended family for a wedding in a small village where the family patriarch once owned most all of the land, but sold (or gambled) most of the property away. Penelope Cruz travels from Argentina with her daughter and son to attend the wedding. Conspicuously absent is her husband. The large wedding is interrupted by a power failure (intentional?), and rain, but a great time is had by all...until the discovery that a family member has been kidnapped.

Secrets are revealed (Everybody Knows) in this beautifully shot, but languid mystery that reveals too much too soon, has too many red herrings (family members as suspects), and concludes with an answer that can be foreseen, but which provides no thrill.

Javier Bardem as Paco-Cruz's young lover who now is asked to provide the ransom money, shows a side of himself that is seldom seen.

3.5/6 Cervezas on the RFSRS.

Mattrick
02-23-2019, 06:14 PM
Fighting With My Family: Being a wrestling fan, I've been following this movie through production for the past two years. I wasn't sure what to make of the decision to make a film on Paige, especially since how turbulent her personal life and her relationship with WWE was at the time, and the fact that she was never a massive superstar...it felt like an odd choice. But knowing that it was The Rock who wanted to make this film since he saw the documentary on the Knight Family and it reminded him of his own life growing up in a wrestling family. In terms of accuracy, it's pretty damn accurate. It kind of skips over her entire run in NXT (in real life, the portion of the film that was NXT was really Florida Championship Wrestling before WWE rebranded it, and the Performance Center where Paige trained didn't exist yet) including her run as the first NXT women's champion. She was earmarked for success for a couple years before she debuted in her first match on Raw after Wrestlemania 30, but I get why the film would want to keep that underdog narrative going up until the climax. You've got to take some creative liberties like that.

The performances were all good. I especially liked Jack Lowden, who played Paige's brother Zak. The scene where he spoke with Hutch (Vince Vaughn) was probably the strongest scene in the film. Vaughn by the way was very good. He easily could've been a cheesy inspirational figure, but he was tough and realistic. I think he had the toughest role to play in the movie just because if you dialed his character a little more in either direction, it wouldn't have worked. Frost and Headey were great as the father and mother. Pugh as Paige did a really good job, and she looks enough like her that you could buy into her as Paige.

All in all, an extremely enjoyable movie I'll probably watch numerous times. I thought it handled the dramatic aspects of the film really well, especially Zak's side of the story. I think you could watch this even if you're not a wrestling fan, but being one will allow you to appreciate the movie on a deeper level, especially if you've followed Paige's career for any length of time. They do a good job of explaining the business in small chunks that don't feel like they they're teaching you, for those who know next to nothing. I highly recommend it, but I can't guarantee non-wrestling fans will like it.

4/5

Garrell
02-23-2019, 07:35 PM
How to Train Your Dragon III. Loved it fun for the family. Good laughs and story. 4/6

Still Servant
02-26-2019, 03:48 PM
A Star is Born

Saw this with my daughter & wife and we all thought it to be a real disappointment. The acting was uninspired, Bradley Cooper was terrible and seemed to be impersonating, Sam Elliot. The musix was so-so and Lady Gaga was just "OK". It's been done before and much better in our opinion. We were all wishing for, Babs!!! lol lol

1.0 on the RFSRS

A 1!?!

I'm shocked anyone would dislike the film that much. Cooper was fantastic, as was Lady Gaga. Did your wife and daughter dislike it as much as you did? Yes, it's been done before, but it's been universally liked by both critics and audiences.

Garrell
02-26-2019, 04:16 PM
Can You Ever Forgive Me? Loved it. Melissa McCarthy was great and deserved her Oscar nomination. As a bibliophile and reader, it is almost a must watch. 4/6

allasorte
02-26-2019, 06:06 PM
Can You Ever Forgive Me? Loved it. Melissa McCarthy was great and deserved her Oscar nomination. As a bibliophile and reader, it is almost a must watch. 4/6

I loved this movie. The real life person was pretty damn smart. Melissa was great and I rooted for her character throughout. 4/6

Still Servant
02-26-2019, 07:25 PM

I loved this movie. The real life person was pretty damn smart. Melissa was great and I rooted for her character throughout. 4/6

She's miserable, but you can't help but root for her. I love how doing something morally wrong and illegal rekindled her love for writing. The money was nice, but she truly embraced the creative outlet of forgery.

St. Troy
02-27-2019, 09:28 AM
I recently saw Uncle Drew, which is about 5 elderly (70s-ish) former street basketball players returning to the court for a last hurrah. It starred 1 current NBA player (Kyrie Irving, as Uncle Drew) and 4 former NBA players (Shaq as Big Fella, Reggie Miller as Lights, Chris Webber as Preacher, Nate Robinson as Boots).

I always enjoyed the Pepsi commercials on which this was based (yes, based on soda commercials), but the question was, could it hold up for a full movie? For me, it did; the other characters had just enough background to make things amusing, and the plot (reuniting for a game) was simple enough to allow funny things here and there (the somewhat blind Lights driving a car under emergency circumstances and miming tying a rope; Preacher's time-out joke; most things involving Big Fella). Was it great cinema? No, but I enjoyed myself.

Fun fact:
Nick Kroll (who plays annoying enemy coach/player Mookie in Uncle Drew) has now appeared in two (of which I'm aware, anyway) things based on TV commercials: Uncle Drew, as well as the TV show Cavemen (which was based on the caveman-oriented Geico insurance commercials). I freakin' loved Cavemen, but I may have been the only one.

St. Troy
02-27-2019, 09:35 AM
I recently saw Isle Of Dogs.

It was a typical Wes Anderson film: odd story, symmetrical and/or colorful shots, noted actors delivering flat dialogue.

I loved it. You'll probably feel about it how you feel about other Wes Anderson films (assuming you've seen some).

Mattrick
02-27-2019, 06:47 PM
The Old Man and the Gun: A nice and enjoyable film. Lowery's direction definitely helped elevate the material. Really it's a movie about Redford being really charming and charismatic, and since the film hinges on his performance, the film plays really well. The supporting cast all do what they must to support the film around Redford. Tom Waits was my favourite supporting performance. The story he told was the best laugh of the movie. The montage near the end of the film was a highlight. The ending was a nice little homage to The Silence of the Lambs. Seeing only the aftermath of a certain robbery was a great touch too. Not a fantastic movie, but I was glad I watched it. I might even watch it again one day.

4/5

Still Servant
02-28-2019, 04:31 PM
The Old Man and the Gun: A nice and enjoyable film. Lowery's direction definitely helped elevate the material. Really it's a movie about Redford being really charming and charismatic, and since the film hinges on his performance, the film plays really well. The supporting cast all do what they must to support the film around Redford. Tom Waits was my favourite supporting performance. The story he told was the best laugh of the movie. The montage near the end of the film was a highlight. The ending was a nice little homage to The Silence of the Lambs. Seeing only the aftermath of a certain robbery was a great touch too. Not a fantastic movie, but I was glad I watched it. I might even watch it again one day.

4/5

I enjoyed it as well, but it falls in the good not great category. I thought it was super short. I would have liked to have more scenes with Spacek and Redford. I thought their chemistry was great. I also thought Casey Affleck was wasted here. Kind of reminded me of Bradley Cooper's role in The Mule.

fernandito
02-28-2019, 06:07 PM
Have that on my Netflix queue, it's number 2-3 up next. Maybe this weekend.

Mattrick
02-28-2019, 09:51 PM

4/5

I enjoyed it as well, but it falls in the good not great category. I thought it was super short. I would have liked to have more scenes with Spacek and Redford. I thought their chemistry was great. I also thought Casey Affleck was wasted here. Kind of reminded me of Bradley Cooper's role in The Mule.

Yeah, they were similar, but I think Affleck came out of it looking better. I loved that scene as he was coming out of the bathroom. I kind of like that they set him up to be a typical lonely cop who has nothing more to give him purpose than catching the bad guy, but then we see right after that he has a wife and kids. He didn't have much to do, but he felt to have some realistic depth as an actual person.

webstar1000
03-02-2019, 04:55 AM
Allow me to say I was wrong.
So wrong.
Into the Siderverse was the best animated/cartoon whatever you call it... I have ever seen. I cannot believe how good that was and I thank all you here that told me to see it. It was like watching a comic book movie as a comic book. 9.5/10 and maybe even a 10!

Still Servant
03-02-2019, 05:10 AM
So wrong.
Into the Siderverse was the best animated/cartoon whatever you call it... I have ever seen. I cannot believe how good that was and I thank all you here that told me to see it. It was like watching a comic book movie as a comic book. 9.5/10 and maybe even a 10!

Ladies and gentleman, this is how you do it. There's nothing wrong with saying you were wrong about something. Too often on the internet, we see people sticking to their guns just to be right about something.

So glad you enjoyed it and I appreciate that you gave the film a chance.

webstar1000
03-02-2019, 05:11 AM
So wrong.

Ladies and gentleman, this is how you do it. There's nothing wrong with saying you were wrong about something. Too often on the internet, we see people sticking to their guns just to be right about something.

So glad you enjoyed it and I appreciate that you gave the film a chance.

I’m glad I did and I listened. Thanks :)

Randall Flagg
03-02-2019, 07:21 AM
Greta:

A stalker movie that starts out tense, and eventually becomes laughable. Hard to suspend disbelief when the bad person is all of 5' tall and 97 pounds. People in the theater were chuckling when a person escapes the room she's held in and proceeds to run down into the basement-not a great escape route.
3/6 on the RFSRS.

mae
03-02-2019, 02:14 PM
So this is sorta rating, I guess. Inspired by Mike's use of Letteboxd I have been spending quite a lot of time there compiling lists of my favorite movies of each year and ranking them from 1 to 30. It's been a really fun experience thus far and I've done every year from 1980 to 2018: https://letterboxd.com/maemiddleton/lists/by/name/

Coming up with 30 films per year during the 1980s or even the 1990s is pretty easy, but it gets progressively more difficult, and by the time we're in the 2010s, and especially the last 5-6 years, there have been so many great movies released that it's super hard to leave off anything that's special in its own way. But I also feel 30 is a good number and I don't want to expand to 40 or 50 (or 100, for that mater) in these recent years, even though I technically could.

I'll take a break now from making these lists since it's been a lot of work, but I'll be back later and keep going back in time into past years.

Would love to debate these rankings with anyone here but keep in mind film is art and art is always highly subjective. Also, they're subject to change and never set in stone (I went back through the threads here where I'd posted my annual or decade lists in recent years and there have been some adjustments from then, having seen and re-watched more movies).

Still Servant
03-02-2019, 05:08 PM
I love Letterboxd and I'm constantly telling people about it. Anyone who has even a passing interest in putting lists together should check it out.

Your lists are fantastic and very eclectic. You've put a lot of time and energy into compiling those lists, which is pretty awesome.

mae
03-02-2019, 05:33 PM
I love Letterboxd and I'm constantly telling people about it. Anyone who has even a passing interest in putting lists together should check it out.

Your lists are fantastic and very eclectic. You've put a lot of time and energy into compiling those lists, which is pretty awesome.

The site is great and I have been spending a lot of time on it, looking at people's lists and reading reviews. I noticed reviews on Letterboxd tend to be very sarcastic and non-sequitur which is weird and often not helpful, but some great reviewers and critics are on here so it's all good.

Yeah I have a weird taste in movies and I like odd and strange movies most of all. I would imagine my most controversial pick is having Identity as my number one film of 2003. I completely stand by that choice, too. I wish I could eloquently and intelligently write about film, but that's a skill I sorely lack. All I can say is it's a unique film that I must have first seen at the right time and during the right circumstances, and it's seared itself into my brain. I like movies like that.

Still Servant
03-02-2019, 05:53 PM

The site is great and I have been spending a lot of time on it, looking at people's lists and reading reviews. I noticed reviews on Letterboxd tend to be very sarcastic and non-sequitur which is weird and often not helpful, but some great reviewers and critics are on here so it's all good.

Yeah I have a weird taste in movies and I like odd and strange movies most of all. I would imagine my most controversial pick is having Identity as my number one film of 2003. I completely stand by that choice, too. I wish I could eloquently and intelligently write about film, but that's a skill I sorely lack. All I can say is it's a unique film that I must have first seen at the right time and during the right circumstances, and it's seared itself into my brain. I like movies like that.

I'm so glad you mentioned Identity. As I was looking at your lists, that one certainly stood out to me. I made a mental note to mention it to you, but forgot. It's one those films that has completely been forgotten over the years.

I have a very specific memory attached to that film. It was my final year in college and I was only taking a few classes while working on campus in the Video Production Studio. Often times, I would have classes in the morning and then would go across town to catch a movie, before heading back to campus to work at the studio at night.

I remember catching Identity one afternoon and one of the main reasons the film stands out to me is the fact that I was the only person in the theater. I think that was the first time that had ever happened to me. Ironically, I saw Happy Death Day 2U today and I was the only person in the theater. Now that I think about it, that might have been the first time that's happened to me since Identity.

Ricky
03-02-2019, 07:15 PM
I've never had a theater to myself. The closest I've come in me and three other people. One day, though. One day.

Mattrick
03-02-2019, 11:57 PM
Identity is a solid genre pick. It's very well done and an interesting concept for a film. It definitely wouldn't be in my top 10 for 2003 though. There were too many good movies that year. Top 20, maybe. I don't really have the patience to make lists though. Even if I take a few hours to make it up and write them down and rank them, it's going to have to be changed in a few years anyways, as my tastes change, as I see new movies from that year or decade...My top ten for the 2000's that I made here years ago would be so very different now...save for the first two movies.

Still Servant
03-03-2019, 05:38 AM
I've never had a theater to myself. The closest I've come in me and three other people. One day, though. One day.

It's... beautiful.

Identity is a solid genre pick. It's very well done and an interesting concept for a film. It definitely wouldn't be in my top 10 for 2003 though. There were too many good movies that year. Top 20, maybe. I don't really have the patience to make lists though. Even if I take a few hours to make it up and write them down and rank them, it's going to have to be changed in a few years anyways, as my tastes change, as I see new movies from that year or decade...My top ten for the 2000's that I made here years ago would be so very different now...save for the first two movies.

Lists of this nature are fun to look back on though. They help me remember which films came out which years.

mae
03-03-2019, 07:49 AM

Lists of this nature are fun to look back on though. They help me remember which films came out which years.

Is Identity the best of 2003? For me it is, but that's what's fun about lists, people's taste are different and what works for one person won't work (or won't as well) for someone else. I'm OCD and obsessed with lists and making these list for every year since 1980 has been immense fun. I've already had to go back numerous times to add movies I forgot about or rearrange the order. And because editing your lists is so easy on Letterboxd, these are always evolving. I like living lists more than something static that's once published cannot be changed. I cannot see every movies out there and if I suddenly see something mind-blowing from 2003 that I haven't seen before, it's possible I'll move Identity down. Unlikely, but it can happen. Or I could re-watch Return of the King and realize it's a masterpiece that was worth 11 Oscars all on its own and it wasn't all for the trilogy as a whole with an amazing first part, an okay second part, and a good third part.

Also, Identity being a so-called genre film is kinda odd to me. All movies are some type of genre: drama, comedy, sci-fi, horror, etc. (Note, animated is not a genre, it's a medium). I wish more critical acclaim and Oscar recognition would be given to horror and sci-fi and thriller films, these "genre" genres, and not just dramas. I have plenty of dramas in my top fives every year but I judge each movie on its own merits and if it's a sci-fi movie or a horror movie, or what have you, I'll rank it accordingly. The only genre I don't have as much of is straight up comedy, since they're usually so light. But I have ranked some great comedies pretty highly. I have Game Night at 13 for 2018, Toni Erdmann at 5 for 2016 (though it's definitely both a drama and a comedy), It's a Disaster at 8 for 2012, and so on. I wonder when I'll have a pure comedy at number 1. Maybe when I get to the 1930s cause screwball comedies are my jam. Bringing Up Baby is my second most favorite film of all time.

Mattrick
03-03-2019, 04:41 PM
Also, Identity being a so-called genre film is kinda odd to me. All movies are some type of genre: drama, comedy, sci-fi, horror, etc. (Note, animated is not a genre, it's a medium). I wish more critical acclaim and Oscar recognition would be given to horror and sci-fi and thriller films, these "genre" genres, and not just dramas.

A genre flick is just a movie that is purposely fitting inside a genre of film with an existing audience. Drama doesn't have a built in audience the same way horror or science fiction does. Drama is basically base film. It has no definitive genre and can basically be about anything. Whereas genre pictures generally have a constraining set of themes, settings, and motifs. Identity is a genre film because it uses a horror movie formula: people at a location are being killed one by one and that is the driving force of the film. Genre film isn't a measure of quality or a diminutive, just a method of categorization. But you have to judge a genre film differently than a drama, imo. But that's what makes genre films so difficult to compare to dramas. How can you weigh Upgrade or Mission Impossible: Fallout to Roma or Leave No Trace? It's impossible.

Many genre films get tons of critical acclaim and Oscar love. There has been 1 or 2 genre films nominated for best picture nearly every year this decade. Numerous years genre films have walked away with more Oscars than any other film that year (Shape of Water, Mad Max, Life of Pi) and some have won prestigious oscars like Best Picture/Director/Screenplay (Shape of Water, Get Out, Her). I would love to see a Best Genre Film Oscar, but that would end up like Foreign/Animated where if one of those films gets Best Picture nominee too, it's a lock.

mae
03-03-2019, 05:41 PM
More genre films have been getting the spotlight, sure, but they're starting at around zero. Other than Ghost, The Silence of the Lambs and The Sixth Sense, pretty much all other Best Picture nominees in the 1990s were essentially dramas. There have been oddities like that with the Oscars, always, let's not forget The Exorcist and Star Wars were nominated for Best Picture. But still the vast majority of nominees will be straight dramas. But there's really nothing that makes a drama an inherently better film. And I love me a good depressing drama as much as anyone, but film is film, and all of it should be considered equally. My top two movies of last year were a mind-fuck of a sci-fi horror film with a screaming bear monster and a 15-minute interpretive dance number at the end which was both terrifying and beautiful, and a superhero movie that was unlike any ever made and quite possibly the best of its sub-genre with so many new visuals no one has ever seen before, I couldn't believe what I was watching (when that bananas post-credits scene came up I thought it made perfect sense to see something like it at the end, any other film and it would have been laughable - in a bad way). Both were obviously not nominated for Best Picture but should've been. I don't think, looking back in 20-30 years people will think much about Green Book or even Bohemian Rhapsody for that matter. Roma may resonate as might Black Panther, given its cultural significance. But movies like Annihilation or Into the Spider-Verse or even Hereditary will most likely be the highlights of 2018.

Mattrick
03-03-2019, 07:57 PM
I don't think judging Best Picture nominees based on cultural significance or even cult-status is the right way to judge films that are nominated or win. They're not picking the best movies in 2018 as judged by people in 2038, they're picking the best movies as judged by people in 2018. A big reason why they increased the Best Picture nominees to more than 5 was to include more genre picks other than just dramas and to have more variety. Your top two movies weren't nominated for best picture. My top film was. Another film in my top five won best picture. 3 of the film in my top 5 weren't nominated for anything. My top film of 2017 wasn't nominated for anything, and my top film for 2016 won best picture. It's just how it goes. I love the Oscars, but I don't see the point in complaining when my top films weren't nominated for anything. They're still my top films. I've got no issue with straight dramas being nominated. I love straight dramas. I love genre pics too. Most of my top 10 this year were genre pics (Hereditary, MI: Fallout, Upgrade, Infinity War).

I definitely don't care if Oscar nominees are forgotten or cult classics or considered seminal films in 20 years. I'm sure no one will remember A Ghost Story or Her in 20 years, but they're still my top 2 films of this decade so far.

Still Servant
03-04-2019, 07:47 AM
It's hard to say what films will be remembered 30 years from now. One thing I can say for sure is that the sheer volume at which films are being released will most certainly guarantee that a lot of great films are completely forgotten about by many people.

That's especially true when you take into consideration that many of the films that are resonating with mainstream audiences aren't exactly the kinds of films many of us like and hold in high esteem.

One of the things I'm doing now because I own so many movies, is that I'm looking for those smaller films released decades ago that might have been good when they came out in theaters, but have since been buried by time. It's amazing how many films there are out there like that. Many of them are ones that made it into our 90s tournament.

Randall Flagg
03-04-2019, 08:01 AM
Apollo 11 - Documentary:
Viewed on a true IMAX screen ($20, but worth it).

Using 65 MM film that has sat stored and unused for almost 50 years, the filmmakers present the events leading up to, and then the trip to the moon and back by Apollo 11 astronauts. Like a fly on the wall, we watch as events unfold. Using only minimal narration by Walter Cronkite, and simple graphics to explain certain orbital maneuvers, the film speaks for itself. Filmed in a 2:1 aspect ratio, the images are stunning. Liftoff of the 300+ foot tall, 6.5 million pound Saturn 5 is breathtaking.
I was proud to see what we Americans could do when we put our minds to it.

The audience I was with applauded at the end.

6/6 beers on the RFSRS

DoctorZaius
03-04-2019, 10:12 AM
Olympus Has Fallen - I was in the mood for some killing and maiming, and this one had it all. Not as good as Die Hard, but infinitely better than Under Siege. Can't wait to go to London for the sequel. 8/10 on my action meter.

Still Servant
03-04-2019, 03:48 PM
Apollo 11 - Documentary:
Viewed on a true IMAX screen ($20, but worth it).

Using 65 MM film that has sat stored and unused for almost 50 years, the filmmakers present the events leading up to, and then the trip to the moon and back by Apollo 11 astronauts. Like a fly on the wall, we watch as events unfold. Using only minimal narration by Walter Cronkite, and simple graphics to explain certain orbital maneuvers, the film speaks for itself. Filmed in a 2:1 aspect ratio, the images are stunning. Liftoff of the 300+ foot tall, 6.5 million pound Saturn 5 is breathtaking.
I was proud to see what we Americans could do when we put our minds to it.

The audience I was with applauded at the end.

6/6 beers on the RFSRS

I heard this was a perfect companion piece to First Man.

I also heard that the restoration is amazing. Very similar to They Shall Not Grow Old. I'm hoping this one opens near me in true IMAX.

Randall Flagg
03-04-2019, 03:53 PM
It wasn't really a restoration. They located unused well stored 65MM film that NASA had planned to use, but never did. BTAIM, see it in a true IMAX theater and be blown away.

Ricky
03-04-2019, 04:13 PM
Olympus Has Fallen - I was in the mood for some killing and maiming, and this one had it all.

I know what you mean. Sometimes you just need mindless fun in movies.

Still Servant
03-04-2019, 04:18 PM
Olympus Has Fallen - I was in the mood for some killing and maiming, and this one had it all.

The first one was indeed fun as a Die Hard-light action film. The second one in London is a complete mess.

Sharo
03-04-2019, 06:51 PM
I just saw Ralph Breaks The Internet and- I mean, it's cute! Not as good as the first one, but like, a solid 8. I miss Owl City's music and the models got really heckin' cartoony. Better than most sequels and I'm not gonna complain about an objectively sweet kid movie with an aimed-at-kids moral and a not-subtle nod towards the feelings of parents who are starting to face the notion of an empty nest.

mae
03-04-2019, 06:52 PM
I just saw Ralph Breaks The Internet and- I mean, it's cute! Not as good as the first one, but like, a solid 8. I miss Owl City's music and the models got really heckin' cartoony. Better than most sequels and I'm not gonna complain about an objectively sweet kid movie with an aimed-at-kids moral and a not-subtle nod towards the feelings of parents who are starting to face the notion of an empty nest.

Worth it just for the epic Princesses scene.

DoctorZaius
03-04-2019, 08:07 PM

Exactly what I meant.

DoctorZaius
03-04-2019, 08:08 PM

The first one was indeed fun as a Die Hard-light action film. The second one in London is a complete mess.

That is so disappointing to hear.

Merlin1958
03-04-2019, 09:02 PM

Speaking about mindless fun............................

HUNTER/KILLER

I'll likely be ripped to shreds for this review & rating, but I love Submarine films. Having said that, this film is no "Red October" by any means. The plot premise is rather ludicrous as I'll explain shortly. Don't worry though this is one of those films you just can't spoil cause you pretty much know what's going to happen all the way through. Nevertheless, it was fun, had some tense moments and I found it enjoyable mindless movie madness. So, there's a coup going on in the Russian government. The Russian president has been kidnapped by his own Secretary of Defense (SOD). It takes a bit for us to figure out what is happening in Russia, but eventually Gerard Butler (who's pretty good in this for a change) and the Captain from "Black Sails" are sent to rescue the Russian President from where he is being held, which is the Russian version of, Pearl Harbor. The Russian SOD has set events in motion designed to make it appear that the USA is the aggressor. One result is a Russian Sub being sabotaged. Butler as the captain of our sub manages to rescue the Russian Captain of the sabotaged sub and take him on board, while a Seal team led by Captain Black Sails is dispatched to free the Russian President and exfil to Butler's Sub. I can't tell you how many times I said to myself "you gotta be fucking kidding me", but throwing logic to the wind I went along for the ride and as I said enjoyed myself. It's crazy, it's ludicrous but it's fun and as I said I love a submarine movie. lol So, my suggestion is watch it. Especially if you've nothing better to do and want to kill 2 hours and eat some popcorn. lol

3 out 6 beers on the RFSRS

Still Servant
03-05-2019, 03:58 PM

Worth it just for the epic Princesses scene.

If they aren't working on a Princess only film, then they're doing it wrong. I've been saying for years they should give them their own movie and turn them into kickass heroes.

That is so disappointing to hear.

That's just me. You might be just in the right mood for it

webstar1000
03-07-2019, 05:47 PM
We’ll seen Miss Marvel and it was very good. Def up there for me. It was not my fav MCU but it’s up there on the list. A lot of fun and will be going to see it again! 8/10

Garrell
03-07-2019, 07:09 PM
Spoiler: Captain Marvel is a man. That is Ms Marvel:angry_002:

DoctorZaius
03-07-2019, 09:01 PM
I saw Captain Marvel tonight. I liked it, but did not love it. Pretty average overall. I loved the opening credits and the two end credit sequences. I hated the first 15 minutes. I hated the Star Wars ripoff canyon fighter sequence. I longed for more agent Coulson. At times the banter between a Fury and Captain Marvel was funny. I’d rank it near the bottom for Marvel movies, near the first Thor movie for me. 7/10. I guess that makes me a misogynist. The me-too movement/backlash will prevent a lot of honest discussion about the film’s true merits.

I know the comparisons are not fair, but I loved Wonder Woman so much, and this just can’t compete.

webstar1000
03-08-2019, 02:42 AM
I saw Captain Marvel tonight. I liked it, but did not love it. Pretty average overall. I loved the opening credits and the two end credit sequences. I hated the first 15 minutes. I hated the Star Wars ripoff canyon fighter sequence. I longed for more agent Coulson. At times the banter between a Fury and Captain Marvel was funny. I’d rank it near the bottom for Marvel movies, near the first Thor movie for me. 7/10. I guess that makes me a misogynist. The me-too movement/backlash will prevent a lot of honest discussion about the film’s true merits.

I know the comparisons are not fair, but I loved Wonder Woman so much, and this just can’t compete.

I have to ask... why compare to Wonder Women?

mae
03-08-2019, 03:40 AM
Spoiler: Captain Marvel is a man. That is Ms Marvel:angry_002:

No, this is Ms. Marvel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoctB_OWYrM

Still Servant
03-08-2019, 02:10 PM
I'm wondering if things would have been different if they decided to introduce Captain Marvel in another Marvel film. That seemed to be the template for most of the Marvel films, except Captain Marvel. I wonder if they included her in one of the films in a supporting role it they would have been better off.

I haven't seen the film yet, but it seems to be getting a shocking amount of fan backlash, which is surprising because fans of comic book movies are fairly easy to please.

I'm a little worried about Larson from what I've heard so far. I really loved her in Room and I think she's a great actress, but I heard people complaining that she was bland in this. That is a tad worrisome because I thought she was bland in Skull Island.

DoctorZaius
03-08-2019, 02:37 PM

For me it was a pretty natural comparison, Wonder Woman being the only other female super hero to get her own vehicle to carry. I am hoping for better with Black Widow's solo film, if it comes to fruition.

DoctorZaius
03-08-2019, 02:41 PM
I'm wondering if things would have been different if they decided to introduce Captain Marvel in another Marvel film. That seemed to be the template for most of the Marvel films, except Captain Marvel. I wonder if they included her in one of the films in a supporting role it they would have been better off.

I haven't seen the film yet, but it seems to be getting a shocking amount of fan backlash, which is surprising because fans of comic book movies are fairly easy to please.

I'm a little worried about Larson from what I've heard so far. I really loved her in Room and I think she's a great actress, but I heard people complaining that she was bland in this. That is a tad worrisome because I thought she was bland in Skull Island.

Your point is a good one about introducing her in another film. That might have worked better for me, but it also might have made this story line harder to do. My comments should not be construed as "backlash." I am a Marvel film fan, and have little knowledge of the comics, so I do not use them as a comparison. I enjoyed watching it as much as I enjoyed the first two Thor movies, but they, and now this one, occupy the lower level of Marvel films for me. Something has to be there.

Mattrick
03-08-2019, 02:58 PM

For me it was a pretty natural comparison, Wonder Woman being the only other female super hero to get her own vehicle to carry. I am hoping for better with Black Widow's solo film, if it comes to fruition.

How quickly we forget Elektra and Catwoman.

DoctorZaius
03-08-2019, 03:20 PM

How quickly we forget Elektra and Catwoman.

2005 and 2004 respectfully, and yes, they were easy to forget.

mae
03-08-2019, 03:44 PM
I’m still in the theater and watching the credits roll and listening to the score. Captain Marvel was a lot of fun, and had periods of greatness. Definitely in the upper tier of the MCU for me. When Carol gets all-powerful towards the end it’s wonderful and awe-inspiring. She’s definitely The Fonz.

mae
03-08-2019, 03:47 PM
Also, awesome mid-credits scene. Goosebumps.

fernandito
03-08-2019, 03:47 PM

I haven't watched it yet either but I too have a creeping suspicion she'll be bland in this - based solely on what I've seen and heard in trailers.

I won't mind too much as long as the action is up to snuff.

mae
03-08-2019, 03:48 PM
Brie was anything but bland, she did a great job. She was fun and funny and kicked all sorts of ass but also had a lot of heart.

webstar1000
03-08-2019, 03:52 PM
Brie was anything but bland, she did a great job. She was fun and funny and kicked all sorts of ass but also had a lot of heart.

100000% agree with you.

fernandito
03-08-2019, 03:57 PM
Cool, I hope that's the case. What I've read so far isn't encouraging...

Still Servant
03-08-2019, 06:29 PM

Your point is a good one about introducing her in another film. That might have worked better for me, but it also might have made this story line harder to do. My comments should not be construed as "backlash." I am a Marvel film fan, and have little knowledge of the comics, so I do not use them as a comparison. I enjoyed watching it as much as I enjoyed the first two Thor movies, but they, and now this one, occupy the lower level of Marvel films for me. Something has to be there.

Yeah, I wasn't referring to your comments as backlash.

Randall Flagg
03-09-2019, 08:38 AM
The Kid:

Directed by, and featuring a small role by Vincent D'Onofrio, this western takes us on a young mans encounter with Billy The Kid. Rio a 14 year old intercedes when his mother is unmercifully beating his father. Rio ends up killing his father, but not before his mother succumbs to her injuries. Rio and his older sister Sara (played by D'Onofrio's real life daughter Leila George) attempt to run away, but are pursued by Rio's uncle Grant (played as a villain very well by Chris Pratt). In a hideout, they are stumbled upon by Billy The Kid and his gang.

The sheriff (Ethan Hawke) and his lawmen capture BTK, and a few surviving members of the gang. Taking Rio and his sister with them, they begin their journey to bring BTK to the county seat to be tried (and of course convicted).

Rio begins to admire both BTK, and the Sheriff, and ultimately enlists the help of both men (don't ask) to help rescue his sister who has been kidnapped and enslaved as a prostitute by Grant.

Beautifully shot, the story moves along at a slog and breaks no new ground in the BTK tale.

3/6 beers on the RFSRS

St. Troy
03-09-2019, 02:13 PM
...fans of comic book movies are fairly easy to please.

Are they? I’m not one of them, but from what I hear, they can be a demanding/picky bunch.

MikeDuke
03-09-2019, 04:50 PM
Just saw it. There are articles out there how this is being rated down by trolls on Rotten Tomatoes. I really liked it. I thought that she did a fine job. Personally, I agree with a review I read. They felt this film was out of order. I don't know if she needed to be introduced in another film, but IMHO, this film should have been before IW. If this were before IW, then I think it would have flowed much better. But I did like it a lot.

Mattrick
03-09-2019, 11:10 PM
Jane Got A Gun - I don't even know what this movie was supposed to be. The actors were fine, which you should expect out of Portman, Edgerton, and McGregor. Edgerton carried this film. It was boring, minus a few minutes and a couple of good lines of dialogue. I definitely am glad I didn't choose to watch this, so I can blame others for the rest of my days. And the title is awful. I expected a Strong Female Lead film where Natalie Portman kicks a little ass, but nope. It should've been called Jane Asks A Man To Solve Her Problems because that's basically what happens. Jane barely even had a gun. Giving this 1 star because watching Joel Edgerton for 90 minutes is never truly wasted time, but this movie almost proved that rule of life wrong.

1/5

Still Servant
03-10-2019, 07:58 AM
...fans of comic book movies are fairly easy to please.

Are they? I’m not one of them, but from what I hear, they can be a demanding/picky bunch.

I should clarify. I'm not talking about the die hard fans of the comics. I'm talking about the mainstream audiences that have been flocking to theaters for over a decade for these comic book movies. As we know, the fraction of people who actually know the source material of most of these films is quite small. Most of the people who see comic book movies, including myself, have never read the comics pertaining to the film.

Jane Got A Gun - I don't even know what this movie was supposed to be. The actors were fine, which you should expect out of Portman, Edgerton, and McGregor. Edgerton carried this film. It was boring, minus a few minutes and a couple of good lines of dialogue. I definitely am glad I didn't choose to watch this, so I can blame others for the rest of my days. And the title is awful. I expected a Strong Female Lead film where Natalie Portman kicks a little ass, but nope. It should've been called Jane Asks A Man To Solve Her Problems because that's basically what happens. Jane barely even had a gun. Giving this 1 star because watching Joel Edgerton for 90 minutes is never truly wasted time, but this movie almost proved that rule of life wrong.

1/5

Jane Got A Gun is one of those films that was in development hell for years. I think it lost its director like 3 times. I was anticipating it when I heard it was in development, but was quick to wipe it off my list after everything I was hearing. I believe it was eventually directed by Gavin O' Connor, who directed Warrior, but I'm hardly putting this one on him.

Heather19
03-11-2019, 04:41 AM
So I watched 2 Oscar films this weekend. Black Klansman. I just finished reading the book, so wanted to see the movie. While I think it's an interesting story with what he did, both fell a little flat for me. And the movie changed a lot of stuff around and definitely made it more "Hollywoodized" with big explosions and stuff, which kind of turned me off. Wasn't really a fan of this one.

We also watched A Star is Born, and I also didn't care for this one. It was kind of boring and a little slow. I've only seen the 70s version with Barbara Streisand (which I also didn't care for) but I think I prefer that version to this one. Maybe it's just the story that I don't really care for? I don't know. I've actually been wanting to watch the Judy Garland version for awhile so maybe I'll give that one a shot and see if it's better.

Green Book is next on our list, and I'm hoping it's better than these 2.

Garrell
03-11-2019, 09:05 AM
GREEN BOOK Rules!!!:cyclops:

Ricky
03-11-2019, 03:39 PM
So I watched 2 Oscar films this weekend. Black Klansman. I just finished reading the book, so wanted to see the movie. While I think it's an interesting story with what he did, both fell a little flat for me. And the movie changed a lot of stuff around and definitely made it more "Hollywoodized" with big explosions and stuff, which kind of turned me off. Wasn't really a fan of this one.

We also watched A Star is Born, and I also didn't care for this one. It was kind of boring and a little slow. I've only seen the 70s version with Barbara Streisand (which I also didn't care for) but I think I prefer that version to this one. Maybe it's just the story that I don't really care for? I don't know. I've actually been wanting to watch the Judy Garland version for awhile so maybe I'll give that one a shot and see if it's better.

Did you like the BlackKklansman book? I didn't even know it was one before I saw the movie so I'm wondering how it is. It wasn't perfect, but I really enjoyed the movie (way more than I thought I would).

A Star Is Born is one I also really liked, too. I do wish it would've focused more on Ally's journey and how the music industry tried to (and did) change her rather than her and Jackson's romance. Their chemistry was fantastic, but the romance part(s) felt a little rushed to me. But, like you said, I guess that's just the story (I've never seen any of the previous versions).

And Green Book was my favorite of the bunch! So funny and heart-warming. And all the backlash is nonsense.

I still want to see The Favourite, I only want to see Bohemian Rhapsody 50%, and I want to see Roma 0%. :lol:

Still Servant
03-11-2019, 05:49 PM

I'm really surprised you didn't like A Star is Born. I thought it was great.

I watched The Blackcoat's daughter this weekend. I'm not sure if it was here or somewhere else, but I remember people mentioning this one as one of the best horror films of the decade. I believe someone even mentioned that it was better than The Babadook, which is blasphemous to me.

Anyway, I thought the film was terrible. Easily one of the worst films I've seen in recent years. I have no problem with a slow burn, but it has to build to something. Blackcoat's Daughter builds but never pays off. The "twist" is something that could be seen from a mile away and I don't even consider it a twist, hence the quotation marks. I'm not sure if anyone else has seen it, but it shouldn't be anywhere close to the conversation for best horror films of the decade with Hereditary and Babadook.

Merlin1958
03-11-2019, 06:29 PM
Aquaman

DC just can't seem to get it right. Disjointed with regard to the other DC movies I couldn't figure the timeline (surprise!! lol) visually it was awesome at first, but then they got a bit carried away with themselves and had way too much CGI. The story was, meh. Jason, was pretty good. It just didn't flow like an MCU film would. Are they married to, Snyder? Seems like he continually fucks them up yet they come baclk time and again. Anyway, I give it a................................................. ........

3 of 6 beers on the RFSRS

Jean
03-11-2019, 10:26 PM
I wish more critical acclaim and Oscar recognition would be given to horror and sci-fi and thriller films, these "genre" genres, and not just dramas. I have plenty of dramas in my top fives every year but I judge each movie on its own merits and if it's a sci-fi movie or a horror movie, or what have you, I'll rank it accordingly.
Hear, hear!

Bringing Up Baby is my second most favorite film of all time.wow!! It's a film I saw a billion - namely, forty something - years ago, with my mom, in a movie theater where they showed old movies, and since it was called a different name in Russian (like, Walking with a leopard, or something like that) it took me forever to find it when the films became available thanks to the Internet. For decades we kept talking about that movie, how great and funny it was, and only a couple of weeks ago I actually found it and my mother watched it again after all those years :rose:

Jean
03-11-2019, 10:35 PM
since I am still hardly able to read or write, I've been watching tons of movies; yesterday it was The Number 23 (2007, by Joel Schumacher, starring Jim Carrey). A curious case when the director did everything possible to make it a decent watch, and failed because of the weak, lazy screenwriting. The film desperately lacked the skeleton - situations with their own inner dramaturgy, local conflicts within the global one, dialogs that develop the characters - and all the meat the director tried to put around that boneless void just fell in an amorphous heap. Looking back, I can remember about 20 minutes of the 100, and they all include the dog. Where did the other 80 go is a mystery.

Heather19
03-12-2019, 04:29 AM

Did you like the BlackKklansman book? I didn't even know it was one before I saw the movie so I'm wondering how it is. It wasn't perfect, but I really enjoyed the movie (way more than I thought I would).

A Star Is Born is one I also really liked, too. I do wish it would've focused more on Ally's journey and how the music industry tried to (and did) change her rather than her and Jackson's romance. Their chemistry was fantastic, but the romance part(s) felt a little rushed to me. But, like you said, I guess that's just the story (I've never seen any of the previous versions).

And Green Book was my favorite of the bunch! So funny and heart-warming. And all the backlash is nonsense.

I still want to see The Favourite, I only want to see Bohemian Rhapsody 50%, and I want to see Roma 0%. :lol:

I still want to see The Favourite. I love period pieces, but I'll have to rent that one on my own. And there's no way I'll ever watch Bohemian Rhapsody :lol:

Black Klansman book was ok, but nothing special. The writing felt a little dry, and it seemed like it was jumping around a bit. But maybe that was just me because it really wasn't keeping my attention. It was a super quick read though if you're curious about it. They did change quite a bit for the movie, the real story is much quieter.

As for A Star is Born, like I've said I've only seen one other version, but it was similar in the sense, that it's more a story about the fall of the rock star, and the rise of the new young starlet. The 70s version was very focused on Kris Kristofferson's character and Barbara was like a secondary character to him. So I'm assuming they're all like that, but I could be wrong.

Mattrick
03-12-2019, 12:37 PM
The Favourite is really good and Roma is fucking excellent...it was my top film of 2018.

webstar1000
03-12-2019, 01:08 PM
The Favourite is really good and Roma is fucking excellent...it was my top film of 2018.

Roma is utterly unwatchable. I cannot see what the hype is and I LOVE movies.

fernandito
03-12-2019, 01:43 PM

Roma is indeed incredible. I haven't watched Favourite yet.

fernandito
03-12-2019, 01:44 PM
...And there's no way I'll ever watch Bohemian Rhapsody :lol:

Wait wtf. Why not?

Heather19
03-12-2019, 04:27 PM
...And there's no way I'll ever watch Bohemian Rhapsody :lol:

Wait wtf. Why not?

Did you forget that I hate Queens music. I could never sit through 2 hrs of it :lol:

Still Servant
03-12-2019, 05:07 PM

I know you well enough to tell you that Roma is not for you.

webstar1000
03-12-2019, 05:09 PM

I know you well enough to tell you that Roma is not for you.

100% you do my friend. You pretty much will know if I like a movie or not (if you have scene it first)

Jean
03-12-2019, 10:07 PM
And there's no way I'll ever watch Bohemian Rhapsody :lol:same here, for the same reason

fernandito
03-13-2019, 07:42 AM
Did you forget that I hate Queens music. I could never sit through 2 hrs of it :lol:

I wish you knew how much you broke my heart right now.

100% you do my friend. You pretty much will know if I like a movie or not (if you have scene it first)

Pretty much if there aren't any guns or explosions you ain't down lmao.

webstar1000
03-13-2019, 02:07 PM

I wish you knew how much you broke my heart right now.

Pretty much if there aren't any guns or explosions you ain't down lmao.

Not true in the least. That may be the most ignorant thing I have heard you say.

fernandito
03-13-2019, 02:52 PM
It's a joke dude. Relax. :cool:

Still Servant
03-13-2019, 04:45 PM
"I have nothing to prove to you."

This line is spoken by Brie Larson as Carol Danvers in Captain Marvel, the latest superhero extravaganza. I know this line is meant to be a rallying cry for women and young girls everywhere who have lived in the shadows of their male counterparts. However, I'm not really interested in the social and societal impact of a quote like that.

I love movies and my only objective is to be entertained. For that reason alone, I'm going to use this quote and relate it to Marvel and fans of their films. For over a decade now, Marvel has been pumping out these superhero films like Ford did with the Model-T. Love 'em or hate 'em, they've had an amazingly detailed plan for the future and have done a great job of sticking to the proven formula for success. It works. Kudos.

Have all of the Marvel films been great? No, not even close. I'm looking at you, Ironman 3. Some of them have been just plain boring. Hello, Thor 1 & 2. A few of them have even been fun and fluffy and then completely evaporate from your memory the second you exit the theater. Sorry, both Ant-Man films. That being said, at the end of the day, if you're a fan of Marvel and their films, there's literally no reason in the world that you shouldn't enjoy Captain Marvel.

Marvel has done nothing but provide their fans with countless hours of entertainment in exchange for their hard earned cash. What am I trying to say with all this? Marvel, like our newest badass superhero, has nothing to prove to us.

webstar1000
03-16-2019, 02:31 AM
Watched Triple Frontier on Netflix. New Ben Alfleck movie. I really like Ben A.... bummer he isn’t Batman anymore. This movie was a lot of fun. I would have paid to see it in theater easily. Not a deep movie but a fun one. 7-5/10

Still Servant
03-16-2019, 09:12 AM
Check out my first movie round-up of the new year, featuring mini-reviews for Captain Marvel, Lego Movie 2, Cold Pursuit and more!

https://tinyurl.com/QuickFlicks19

St. Troy
03-19-2019, 11:01 AM
Searching

- Concerning a missing teen girl
- The entire thing (I think) is basically windows on a computer screen, videos of facetime chats, phone call audio, instant messages, internet videos and comments, etc. This sounds like it would get old mighty fast but I barely noticed; it didn't bother me in the least.
- Starring John Cho (as the teen's father) and Debra Messing (as the lead detective); they do a nice job, things are fairly low key and serious, there's no melodrama here (always a danger with things like this).
- Cho, FYI, was excellent in season 2 of The Exorcist (the since-cancelled TV show, which was great; Cho was only one of many reasons it should've been renewed). Cho is also one of the reasons I am looking forward to the new Twilight Zone series (assuming I get to see it).

Still Servant
03-21-2019, 05:07 PM
Searching

- Concerning a missing teen girl
- The entire thing (I think) is basically windows on a computer screen, videos of facetime chats, phone call audio, instant messages, internet videos and comments, etc. This sounds like it would get old mighty fast but I barely noticed; it didn't bother me in the least.
- Starring John Cho (as the teen's father) and Debra Messing (as the lead detective); they do a nice job, things are fairly low key and serious, there's no melodrama here (always a danger with things like this).
- Cho, FYI, was excellent in season 2 of The Exorcist (the since-cancelled TV show, which was great; Cho was only one of many reasons it should've been renewed). Cho is also one of the reasons I am looking forward to the new Twilight Zone series (assuming I get to see it).

I thought Searching was one of the more underrated films of 2018. Very well made film. They took something that could have been just a gimmick and really utilized it perfectly. My only complaint is that

as soon as I saw that Messing was in the film, I had a feeling she was going to have something to do with it. She was the only other name brand actor in the film.

Mattrick
03-22-2019, 02:08 AM
Unfriended did Searching first lol

Still Servant
03-22-2019, 03:49 PM
Unfriended did Searching first lol

But nowhere near as well!

Randall Flagg
03-22-2019, 04:41 PM
US:

Not sure where to go with this. Despite what could have been "deadly" reveals in the trailers for the movie, this film still carries suspense, disbelief, belief, puzzlement, twists (far more than one), humor, and of course the chance to debate its true meanings.

I loved every minute of it, particularly moments where you think you know where it's going, only to be surprised as to where it's really going-for the moment.

5.5/6 Beers on the RFSRS

Shannon
03-22-2019, 08:05 PM
Us: four out of five stars.

I'll preface this by saying that I think the first trailer that came out was one of the best trailers I've ever seen, and also, while the world loved Get Out, I thought it was good, but overrated. I WAS impressed by Jordan Peales directing debut though.

I went into Us expecting a masterpiece, and while it was really good, it never really broke into "Holy shit!" brilliance. Again, the direction and camera work stands out, fantastic fantastic fantastic. This guy knows his shit. Unfortunately, I feel the convoluted, yet interesting, background behind the antagonists left the door wide open for too many plot holes. And while there was an explanation for why I felt so disconnected from the main character the entirety of the movie, I felt it was a negative for the movie as you're watching it. I liked it a lot, but I expected a little better.

webstar1000
03-23-2019, 09:23 AM
US. Still digesting what I seen. Wow... Peele is the next big thing in Hollywood though. He knows how to tell a story. 9/10

Heather19
03-24-2019, 08:36 AM
Also saw Us this weekend. I really enjoyed it. Not quite what I was expecting, but also not sure what I expected. I agree with Shannon, Jordan Peele is an amazing director and one to keep an eye on. It's such a well made film. From the atmosphere, to the music, to the different shots, he's easily one of my current favorite directors.

Still Servant
03-24-2019, 02:59 PM
Also saw Us this weekend. I really enjoyed it. Not quite what I was expecting, but also not sure what I expected. I agree with Shannon, Jordan Peele is an amazing director and one to keep an eye on. It's such a well made film. From the atmosphere, to the music, to the different shots, he's easily one of my current favorite directors.

Us is sure to get a legion of haters as the year goes on, but the fact of the matter is that it's a very well made film as Heather mentioned. It's not as good as Get Out, but it's also very different on a multitude of levels. I also think I have to see this one again because there's a whole lot going on. Peele is a very exciting filmmaker right now.

Heather19
03-25-2019, 04:27 AM
He sure is. I'm anxiously awaiting word on his next film already :lol:

fernandito
03-25-2019, 07:50 AM
So I'm not sure if I ever told you guys this but I actually went to about 5-6 live tapings of Key & Peele back in the day. Entrance was free as they were trying to get the word out on these up and coming comedians.

I always found him funny since I first saw him but I had no idea he would blossom into such a creative force.

Heather19
03-25-2019, 01:57 PM
That's pretty cool!

Still Servant
03-25-2019, 04:14 PM
So I'm not sure if I ever told you guys this but I actually went to about 5-6 live tapings of Key & Peele back in the day. Entrance was free as they were trying to get the word out on these up and coming comedians.

I always found him funny since I first saw him but I had no idea he would blossom into such a creative force.

That's pretty awesome! Since you guys are really close friends at this point, would it be possible for us to pitch him some movie ideas? :lol:

Anyway, I thought about Us all day today. I'm not sure I can wait until the Blu-ray comes out to watch it again. Also, is there a place we can talk spoilers? Is the horror thread the best place for that because I'd love to get some of everyone's thoughts and theories.