Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen King's Revival Book Tour-Collecting Thread

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The South Portland event was very efficient. The staff was mostly friendly. I was out the door by 4 even though I was about 100+ plus back in the line. The signing wasn't even supposed to start until 4. The preparations were more suitable for the Pope than a writer. The police were even there (I hope there were no crimes in S. Portland). The staff lined the interior of the store to make sure no one strayed off the path. I had three tickets and tried my luck at getting my 30+ year old copy of Thinner signed. But no luck. The book folks almost fainted when I handed it to them. They didn't even give it back to me but passed it baton style around King. For one surreal moment it was over his head and they gave it back to me on the way out. Ms Mod claims the book stores insist on only allowing the new book to be signed but I think that is baloney. The rules come from King. His obsession with stopping ebay selling is the only reason for this. It's very silly. The book store folks claimed he even called them to complain about someone selling tickets to the event on ebay. The weather was absolutely miserable. Cold and rainy. The poor folks who live there must suffer in the winter.

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Here is my final tally on attending the DC and S. Portland events:

36 hours driving
    5 hours in line
    5 days off from work
    4 nights in a hotel
    Frozen and rained on
    About $200 dollars in gas
    About $50 in tolls
    About $180 in books.

Result - 4 signed copies!

I could have bought a copy from Betts or Ebay for $275, but suffering is part of the fun!

Goldmember Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by RichardX View Post

36 hours driving
    5 hours in line
    5 days off from work
    4 nights in a hotel
    Frozen and rained on
    About $50 in tolls
    About $180 in books.

I could have bought a copy from Betts or Ebay for $275, but suffering is part of the fun!
    Did they give a copy of revival to get signed instead

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lot guy View Post

36 hours driving
    5 hours in line
    5 days off from work
    4 nights in a hotel
    Frozen and rained on
    About $50 in tolls
    About $180 in books.

Did they give a copy of revival to get signed instead
    I had my three copies of Revival but thought they might allow me to sub one older book to get signed in lieu of one copy of Revival. No go though. So I ended up with a bucket load of signed Revivals.

Jascar of the Wylde EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I have picked up hard copies of this issue if some others need.

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Just got back from the Books a Million book signing. I stayed up 24 hours last week and then flew up yesterday for the signing. I was able to purchase 16 tickets for the event. I sold 9 tickets to members here at my cost $20 each, gave one away to a friend and was able to use 6 tickets for myself.

With the Kansas City, Witchata and Portland Event i now have 10 copies of REvival flatsigned by my favorite author! I quickly traded several copies for store credit at Betts Books!

Long story short!! David at Betts has copies of REVIVAL to sell!

As i reviewed my week of SK, i have to admit, i love hearing him speak at the events instead of the book signing only. Seeing him at both events was awesome. At the Books a Million signing it was get in, get out. I would probably had loved the BAM signing if i didnt already have 4 signed copies. I was so tired, all i could say was Thank You!

At the Witchata Event someone asked him if the documentary - Finding your roots - changed his life and he said *&#$! no. He said Tabitha made him do it. and it was his job to pretend like he was impressed and interested in what the guy had to say. (Pretty Funny)

I am looking forward to January event!

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I have to say that I am a bit disappointed that members from here attended numerous events and haven't posted (m)any pics. This is a community and those who can't go live vicariously through those who do attend. There is no obligation to document and share pics soon after the events take place, but the lack of contribution is sad.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

The South Portland event was very efficient. The staff was mostly friendly. I was out the door by 4 even though I was about 100+ plus back in the line. The signing wasn't even supposed to start until 4. The preparations were more suitable for the Pope than a writer. The police were even there (I hope there were no crimes in S. Portland). The staff lined the interior of the store to make sure no one strayed off the path. I had three tickets and tried my luck at getting my 30+ year old copy of Thinner signed. But no luck. The book folks almost fainted when I handed it to them. They didn't even give it back to me but passed it baton style around King. For one surreal moment it was over his head and they gave it back to me on the way out. Ms Mod claims the book stores insist on only allowing the new book to be signed but I think that is baloney. The rules come from King. His obsession with stopping ebay selling is the only reason for this. It's very silly. The book store folks claimed he even called them to complain about someone selling tickets to the event on ebay. The weather was absolutely miserable. Cold and rainy. The poor folks who live there must suffer in the winter.
    I don't think he cares about Ebay even a little bit - if it truly mattered, he wouldn't do any signings at all. He didn't call anybody to complain about tickets - no way do I believe he has the time or interest to care.

You're absolutely right that if King wanted to sign anything, he would...but he just doesn't want to deal with it. The problem with old books is he gets into damaging them, or who knows what. I feel like unless it's a controlled situation he doesn't want old books,, posters, other memorabilia, etc. floating around.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I have to say that I am a bit disappointed that members from here attended numerous events and haven't posted (m)any pics. This is a community and those who can't go live vicariously through those who do attend. There is no obligation to document and share pics soon after the events take place, but the lack of contribution is sad.
    Stephen King came to my room!!!

Spoiler:
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gunslinger Apprentice chaos-consultants will become famous soon enough chaos-consultants's Avatar

I am interested in a copy of signed revival with a flyer/ticket -- Thanks for the PM in advance
    John
    Stephen King Wantlist: Ubris, Dt2 #768; SDreams1 #543 - Thankee-Sai

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post

I don't think he cares about Ebay even a little bit - if it truly mattered, he wouldn't do any signings at all. He didn't call anybody to complain about tickets - no way do I believe he has the time or interest to care.

You're absolutely right that if King wanted to sign anything, he would...but he just doesn't want to deal with it. The problem with old books is he gets into damaging them, or who knows what. I feel like unless it's a controlled situation he doesn't want old books,, posters, other memorabilia, etc. floating around.
    He is obsessed with eBay resellers. The entire structure of this book tour was designed to make it as difficult as possible to resell tickets. Ms Mod has confirmed as much. The book store folks told me that he had called personally to complain about someone reselling tickets on eBay. It doesn't take one nano second longer to sign an old book over a new book. So that's not the reason.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

The book publisher probably doesn't want to pay for King's Lear jet transportation, food, lodging, SUV limo etc. for him to sign previous titles. The idea that King is worried about damaging an older title seems hard to believe. When he has done signings where people could bring any SK item (George Mason for example), he didn't hesitate to sign anything that was old and or fragile. He also didn't blink at signing copies of Rage.
    It's just my opinion, but I think Ms. Mod is more "obsessed" than King is with ebay sellers.

Country
    Country Flag

The book publisher probably doesn't want to pay for King's Lear jet transportation, food, lodging, SUV limo etc. for him to sign previous titles. The idea that King is worried about damaging an older title seems hard to believe. When he has done signings where people could bring any SK item (George Mason for example), he didn't hesitate to sign anything that was old and or fragile. He also didn't blink at signing copies of Rage.
    It's just my opinion, but I think Ms. Mod is more "obsessed" than King is with ebay sellers.
    That would make sense except for the fact that they already require you to buy the new book. So they already have your money before the signing. I can understand why they want you to buy the new book at their store, but not why that's the only book they will allow to be signed.

Rabid Billybumbler Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

1st half video from KC event.... this is a test
    you might have to hit reload

http://s1224.photobucket.com/user/ri...]=1&sort=1&o=1

2nd half video from KC event... this is a test

http://s1224.photobucket.com/user/ri...]=1&sort=1&o=0

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.” - Stephen King

Jascar of the Wylde EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by EXPLORER View Post
    It Is SNOWING in Portland Maine right now!
    Hopefully they are smart and kind like Book People and don't make you guys stand outside.
    As I mentioned before BAM did get the crowd inside.
    HOWEVER ON A PERSONAL NOTE OF WARNING TO ANYONE CONSIDERING BUYING A BOOK FROM PORTLAND EVENT;
    I would suggest getting good close up pics of any you find offered by novice sellers.
    I had an unnerving cringe as I watched some people proudly leaving the store with their newly signed Revival in hand and standing outside comparing sigs and stories in the rain. It may have been just a drizzle at that point however I found it quite unsettling and had sympathy for the books. Just another reason to buy from sellers you can trust and value what they sell as much as their customers.

Along the Path of the Beam Gris will become famous soon enough Gris's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Did anyone who received multiple signed copies notice how vastly the signature changed from copy to copy?

We came away from DC with 3 signed copies and All 3 were very different. The "Stephen" was normal, but the "King" was noticeably different on all 3.
    -Craig

Wanted!!
    Bachman Books HC 1st/1st
    Red Leather Dreamcatcher
    Red Leather Everything's Eventual

Shoot me a PM if you have any of the above!

My Collection

If you are considering a DropBox account, please also consider using me as a reference...
    http://db.tt/Msd4eKO

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cook View Post
    1st half video from KC event.... this is a test

http://s1224.photobucket.com/user/ri...]=1&sort=1&o=1

2nd half video from KC event... this is a test

http://s1224.photobucket.com/user/ri...]=1&sort=1&o=0
    Thanks. Photobucket seemed a little choppy, but reloading did help.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Gris View Post
    Did anyone who received multiple signed copies notice how vastly the signature changed from copy to copy?

We came away from DC with 3 signed copies and All 3 were very different. The "Stephen" was normal, but the "King" was noticeably different on all 3.
    I looked at the two I had, and the King was a bit different on each one.

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I highly doubt King has any problem signing whatever is handed to him. My guess is that he has to draw the line somewhere and for this trip it was that he was only going to be signing Revival. If started to make exceptions here and there then people would be complaining (as if they weren't already) about it not being fair. If I were in his shoes I would completely understand having to draw a line and sticking with it even when it comes across as being an ass to some people.

I also have no doubt King would tell the various venues to just blame him. Like he could really care if someone was mad at him.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I highly doubt King has any problem signing whatever is handed to him. My guess is that he has to draw the line somewhere and for this trip it was that he was only going to be signing Revival. If started to make exceptions here and there then people would be complaining (as if they weren't already) about it not being fair. If I were in his shoes I would completely understand having to draw a line and sticking with it even when it comes across as being an ass to some people.

I also have no doubt King would tell the various venues to just blame him. Like he could really care if someone was mad at him.
    Spot on perspective!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

That's a meaningless line to draw though. He is signing one book per person. It takes no longer to sign a new book than an older one. The bookstore requires a purchase of the new book. So they and King get their money. At that point there is no apparent reason to limit what book he signs. I can understand not personalizing books or taking pictures because that slows things down, but have yet to see a reasonable explanation for limiting these to the new book.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

That's a meaningless line to draw though. He is signing one book per person. It takes no longer to sign a new book than an older one. The bookstore requires a purchase of the new book. So they and King get their money. At that point there is no apparent reason to limit what book he signs. I can understand not personalizing books or taking pictures because that slows things down, but have yet to see a reasonable explanation for limiting these to the new book.
    Give it a break already.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post

Give it a break already.
    NO Don't give it a break! it's an interesting topic, important to collector's and interesting to see different opinions, etc... that is what a discussion forum is about.

I too was hoping to get something else signed, after attending 12 different signings, this one was by far the most stringent, strickest, bizarre! There were more staff in line trying to catch people going through twice, trying to "catch" people bringing in other items, etc... These book "nazi's" are on to us! I feel like there is a mole, a stoolie, a narc trying to shut us down. it very well could be someone from this site on the SK payroll. We should develop our own code and new ways to "outsmart" these naysayers, king fan haters, they are out to get us and shut us down!!

I like the discussion!

Rabid Billybumbler Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Roseannebarr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post

Give it a break already.
    NO Don't give it a break! it's an interesting topic, important to collector's and interesting to see different opinions, etc... that is what a discussion forum is about.

I too was hoping to get something else signed, after attending 12 different signings, this one was by far the most stringent, strickest, bizarre! There were more staff in line trying to catch people going through twice, trying to "catch" people bringing in other items, etc... These book "nazi's" are on to us! I feel like there is a mole, a stoolie, a narc trying to shut us down. it very well could be someone from this site on the SK payroll. We should develop our own code and new ways to "outsmart" these naysayers, king fan haters, they are out to get us and shut us down!!

I like the discussion!
    I agree, very interesting topic !!

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.” - Stephen King

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

The only King signing I've been to (Paris) you could get any book of your choice signed even though the tour was promoting Doctor Sleep. I got my 1st/1st The Shining signed and picked up a 1st/1st signed Doctor Sleep on ebay for a good price a few months later (signed at the US Airforce base in Germany - part of the same tour).

It's great when/if you can get anything you choose signed, but roolz is roolz unfortunately. Shit as they may be! If Paris had been a Doctor Sleep only signing, I'd 100% still have went though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast