• Damaged due to rubbing/ink transfer

35 71.43%
Page 59 of 117 FirstFirst ... 9 49 57 58 59 60 61 69 109 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,475 of 2918

Thread: The Shining S/L from Subterranean Press

Gunslinger Apprentice Rainet is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I missed out on the gift editions of Doctor Sleep. But i will seek one out in the afermarket, if the price is right. Love to have a matching Vincent Chong set.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrowley View Post
    It bothers me that they really didn't market the book or try to garner excitement for the pending release like CD does with Doctor Sleep.
    And I guess that is what I was really asking. Why did it bother you that they didn't market the book as other publishers may have or as you felt they should? Personally I was glad to have been able to order the copies of the book that I wanted and I didn't really care very much after that what happened to the remaining copies. Some seem really bothered that copies still remain to be sold. Just trying to understand why some feel that way and others (like me) couldn't care less.

For several weeks I have sensed a fairly deep feeling of disappointment (or betrayal or call it what you will) in Subterranean Press in this thread. I get the whole bit about the initial artwork and changing of artists. But I don't understand all the negativity because they still have some copies for sale.

My only guess is : as it's not sold out yet, it's less easy to sell it to a higher price and make a profit?
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

If you feel the cost/benefit ratio aligns, there is nothing to complain about. Therefore, complaints appear to be rooted in a feeling of having overpaid - for whatever reason.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

But I don't understand all the negativity because they still have some copies for sale.
    A few people seemed to be irked that they have not sold out but it doesnt appear to be the majority. Im surprised it hasnt sold out yet but dont really care either way as long as I secured my copy. There might be some sort of thought that because it hasnt sold out yet it is not worth the issue price and therefore not a good investment. I can see how that would be a concern for a reseller or a collector hoping to double his investment in the not too distant future but for us poor slobs who collect simply because we have a blinding obsessive passion and care less about future values the speed it sells out is irrelevant. My opinion anyway.
    reality continues to ruin my life

Citizen of Gilead barlow will become famous soon enough barlow's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedNadine View Post
    But I don't understand all the negativity because they still have some copies for sale.
    A few people seemed to be irked that they have not sold out but it doesnt appear to be the majority. Im surprised it hasnt sold out yet but dont really care either way as long as I secured my copy. There might be some sort of thought that because it hasnt sold out yet it is not worth the issue price and therefore not a good investment. I can see how that would be a concern for a reseller or a collector hoping to double his investment in the not too distant future but for us poor slobs who collect simply because we have a blinding obsessive passion and care less about future values the speed it sells out is irrelevant. My opinion anyway.
    Well said T. N.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Ari...I think these are two separate issues.

A. Yes, this has been a poorly marketed book. As you stated...the fact it is not sold out yet proves that. It is rarely mentioned in the newsletters, and it's position on the website is not especially good.

B. Yes, it seems odd that the owner of the company replies from a gmail account.....and while it is a bit nitpicky...I agree it does make the company seem less professional....just as it seems less professional that Grant books was still using an email address that belonged to a former employee, after they sent out an email stating that employee was no longer employed with the company.

If a company doesn't care enough to address the issues the customer CAN SEE...what does that say about the issues they CAN'T SEE?

I've bought a few thousand dollars worth of books from Sub Press over the years and have been happy so far.......and maybe the way he decides to run his business is none of our business.....but then again...isn't this what the internet was created for?
    Sorry, Rick! I didn't saw this until today. Yes, you have a very good point here. And, as you, so far I can't complain about the products SP produces (except I'd like the books to have slipcases, but well..that's just me) and I don't have a doubt I'll love The Shining.

Exactly, the ease of use and characteristics of Gmail far exceeds that of traditional email, like Outlook. I'd shudder at having to use Outlook merely because some people have a weird idea in their head about what "professionalism" means.
    First impressions in marketing are not something to take easily. For instante, I DO use gmail for everything, but have all my accounts inside Gmail and, when I wrote someone from my store, I use my store's emails.

And I guess that is what I was really asking. Why did it bother you that they didn't market the book as other publishers may have or as you felt they should? Personally I was glad to have been able to order the copies of the book that I wanted and I didn't really care very much after that what happened to the remaining copies. Some seem really bothered that copies still remain to be sold. Just trying to understand why some feel that way and others (like me) couldn't care less.

For several weeks I have sensed a fairly deep feeling of disappointment (or betrayal or call it what you will) in Subterranean Press in this thread. I get the whole bit about the initial artwork and changing of artists. But I don't understand all the negativity because they still have some copies for sale.
    I didn't see posts that people are angry about this book not being sold out, but surprised instead. I really don't understand how is it possible, but it doesn't make me angry...just very surprised.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Citizen of Gilead Lauterer has a spectacular aura about Lauterer has a spectacular aura about Lauterer's Avatar

My Mood
    Devilish

Imho there is only one answer to the discussion, why the book ist not sold already. It is to expensive... would it be much cheaper, people would jump in faster...! But i think it will be sold earlier or later. But the secondary prices wont be as high as the issue price!

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lauterer View Post
    Imho there is only one answer to the discussion, why the book ist not sold already. It is to expensive... would it be much cheaper, people would jump in faster...! But i think it will be sold earlier or later. But the secondary prices wont be as high as the issue price!
    Or people are not aware of it. I am personally surprised that DOCTOR SLEEP is sold out but not SHINING. I would have said the other way around.... but then CD does a lot more marketingy things and may have a more active/updated King fan basis.
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

The reason Doctor Sleep sold out quickly is because CD distributed copies to other booksellers. CD do not get the full price for these. There are many booksellers who have Doctor Sleep for sale.

Sub Press did not do this with The Shining. They are quite happy for it to sell at full price even if they have to wait a while.

Gunslinger Apprentice mcdonaldj will become famous soon enough mcdonaldj's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    The reason Doctor Sleep sold out quickly is because CD distributed copies to other booksellers. CD do not get the full price for these. There are many booksellers who have Doctor Sleep for sale.

Sub Press did not do this with The Shining. They are quite happy for it to sell at full price even if they have to wait a while.
    That is a very insightful observation. I'm not upset at all that The Shining did not quickly sell out but I have been wondering why it hasn't. I think you've hit upon a main reason if not 'the reason' - patience for profit.

Gunslinger Apprentice subie09lega will become famous soon enough subie09lega will become famous soon enough subie09lega's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    First impressions in marketing are not something to take easily. For instante, I DO use gmail for everything, but have all my accounts inside Gmail and, when I wrote someone from my store, I use my store's emails.
    Not to beat a dead horse.....I noticed that Earthling Publications has their contact email through yahoo.com

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

SELL OUT, DAMN YOU!!!!!!

Citizen of Gilead mistercrowley has a spectacular aura about mistercrowley has a spectacular aura about

My Mood
    Devilish

I think with a project like this it should be advertised and sold to the public ad nauseam until it is sold out. This is a classic work by one of the most popular authors in the world and it is treated almost as an after thought by Subterranean. Yes it will sell out eventually but come on! It deserves to be the subject of excitement

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Agreed...and when an item like this does sell out, I think it gives "value" (either real or perceived) to those who have forked out the money for it.

I don't think there is a person here who does not want it to sell out.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Gunslinger Apprentice Tony will become famous soon enough Tony will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rainet View Post
    At one point, the gift editions were almost sold out. Now, there's over 300 copies still available. Seems like only half got sold. Urgh, makes my copy seems so undesirable. Anyone know what happened? I figured once Vincent Chong came aboard, this would sell out quickly. Did the whole artist debacle really ruined this release?
    Limited editions of Doctor Sleep sells out in days, and this classic is just drubbing along. I almost want to cancel since it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. But, The Shining is one of my favorites.
    I don't understand. Why do you care if the books sell out or not? You want to cancel your preorder just because the books haven't been sold out? This sounds completely irrational. Can't you simply enjoy the book on its own merits (story, production value, etc.)?

I forget, when did we invite you to look at our accounting books? We would appreciate it if people would please stop posting things about our business that you know nothing about.

The print run of the Gift Edition of Doctor Sleep is 1,750 copies and a very small percentage of those went to our usual 5 or 6 independent booksellers. The same number of copies that we did for Full Dark, No Stars and IT, which took longer to sell out. So offering some copies to the booksellers who have supported all of our other titles over the years has nothing to do with anything.

Brian

Edited to add: I really mean that part in bold in the nicest way possible. It's just irking when people state things as facts that are really, really wrong.
    Founder and publisher of Lividian Publications. My other website is BrianJamesFreeman.com. Please always feel free to email me or send me a PM if you have any questions about either!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian James Freeman View Post
    I forget, when did we invite you to look at our accounting books? Please stop posting things about our business that you know nothing about.

The print run of the Gift Edition of Doctor Sleep is 1,750 copies and a very small percentage of those went to our usual 5 or 6 independent booksellers. The same number of copies that we did for Full Dark, No Stars and IT, which took longer to sell out. So offering some copies to the booksellers who have supported all of our other titles over the year has nothing to do with anything.

Brian
    Cool! Brian James "Bitch-Slap". I'm with ya buddy!!! The "Scots" need to know their place in the "States" LOL LOL LOL J/K around!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    I forget, when did we invite you to look at our accounting books? Please stop posting things about our business that you know nothing about.

The print run of the Gift Edition of Doctor Sleep is 1,750 copies and a very small percentage of those went to our usual 5 or 6 independent booksellers. The same number of copies that we did for Full Dark, No Stars and IT, which took longer to sell out. So offering some copies to the booksellers who have supported all of our other titles over the year has nothing to do with anything.

Brian
    Cool! Brian James "Bitch-Slap". I'm with ya buddy!!! The "Scots" need to know their place in the "States" LOL LOL LOL J/K around!!
    LOL! It's really nothing personal, but every now and then someone will post something on here as if it's some cool inside knowledge they have when really they're just talking out their butt. It's really annoying when people are just making stuff up about the place you work.

I mean, if you have a crazy theory, just say, "I have this crazy theory that I'm totally just making up but how about this..." Instead of putting on your professor hat and saying, "Well, as everyone knows," blah, blah, blah and then stating something that is 100% wrong.

Brian
    Founder and publisher of Lividian Publications. My other website is BrianJamesFreeman.com. Please always feel free to email me or send me a PM if you have any questions about either!

Gunslinger Apprentice subie09lega will become famous soon enough subie09lega will become famous soon enough subie09lega's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It's a little known fact....
    -C. Claven

Quote Originally Posted by subie09lega View Post
    It's a little known fact....
    -C. Claven
    It's a little known fact that the tie was invented in ancient times to be used as a bib, you know, to wipe your chin...

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

This thread just gets juicier and juicer I don't really have a problem with the GE not being sold out yet, it's just very surprising to me, It did take something like a year for the IT Anniversary edition to sell out but it had a way bigger print run, Another thing that kind of intrigues me is the fact that the GE of The Shining had gotten down to the last 24 copies and then all of a sudden the number went back up to nearly 400, I suppose it was a glitch or error of some kind but it is still strange to me

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

Whatever the reason it hasnt sold out I dont think it really matters. Not to me anyway. IT GE is a very good example. It was available for a YEAR and I didnt get one then kicked myself later. And then jumping thru hoops to try to get one at a reasonable price was even more fun. (Thanks again to the anonymous donor BTW). It took a year to sell out but notice how few are available in the secondary market? I promised myself I wouldnt make that mistake again.
    reality continues to ruin my life

Gunslinger Apprentice Rainet is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Can't you simply enjoy the book on its own merits (story, production value, etc.)?
    I'll just post the exact same comment I made, a few posts after. That should answer your question that I guess you missed. Lol No biggie.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainet View Post
    But, you are right. It's, The Shining. I love that novel, and deep down it really doesn't matter if it everyone or nobody buys it. All that matters, is the book itself. Which is why i am buying it. I am also a huge fan of Vincent Chong's artwork.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I forget, when did we invite you to look at our accounting books? We would appreciate it if people would please stop posting things about our business that you know nothing about.

The print run of the Gift Edition of Doctor Sleep is 1,750 copies and a very small percentage of those went to our usual 5 or 6 independent booksellers. The same number of copies that we did for Full Dark, No Stars and IT, which took longer to sell out. So offering some copies to the booksellers who have supported all of our other titles over the years has nothing to do with anything.

Brian

Edited to add: I really mean that part in bold in the nicest way possible. It's just irking when people state things as facts that are really, really wrong.
    Thanks for confirming what I said. But why so defensive?

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think one reason Dr. Sleep may have sold out faster is it's a new highly anticipated novel whereas with The Shining, while a classic, everyone has already read it.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Page 59 of 117 FirstFirst ... 9 49 57 58 59 60 61 69 109 ... LastLast