Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 724 of 1298 FirstFirst ... 224 624 674 714 722 723 724 725 726 734 774 824 1224 ... LastLast
Results 18,076 to 18,100 of 32427

Thread: Your New Pride and Joy!

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the positive comments. One further thought on an earlier question regarding the price of a F/F first edition copy of 'Salem's Lot. A lot of collectors define F/F as an as new copy that looks as though it was cherry picked from a retail bookstore recently. I have never seen a copy of that book that fits that description. The predominately black dj shows faults very easily and it doesn't take much to show up. Even the nicest of the dust jackets seem to show at least some wear at the corners and spine ends. Little edge tears are frequent and can often be hidden in the black background. The white rear panel shows soiling easily. In over 30 years of collecting I have never come across a "perfect" first edition of 'Salem's Lot. I've got some very, very nice ones but not that perfect copy. In contrast I have seen many copies of Carrie and The Stand that look and feel as new. The price of such a book, if one ever was offered for sale, would probably be really, really high.

A couple of years ago a dealer contacted me with a buyer who wanted a F/F copy of 'Salem's Lot. I had a copy (my second nicest) with just tiny spots of white showing at the corners of the dj and no tears. It was a beauty. I didn't really want to sell it but I e-mailed pictures and said I wanted $2500 for it. I was surprised (and a little disappointed) when it was accepted. So with that as a starting point one can only wonder what that perfect, as new copy could sell for.

The copies that we see changing hands for $400 to $800 on occasion are far from superior examples. The stellar copies are few and far between and, likely, priced accordingly.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Wow, can we start this tread? I really enjoyed reading all that! haha I did also ready somewhere that King was unhappy with the price and ordered them sent back thus a few escaped... but... as you know, this was a long time ago and it may or may not be true. Very cool reading what you wrote Bob.. I was fascinated by this. Here is another question for you... if your so inclined. Is it true that a lettered Firestarter burned in a fire? And now there is one less out there?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Is it true that a lettered Firestarter burned in a fire? And now there is one less out there?
    I heard that too. I heard it years ago from Stu Tinker (long time owner of Betts Bookstore before David took over). He swore it was true so.....I guess it is.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Is it true that a lettered Firestarter burned in a fire? And now there is one less out there?
    I heard that too. I heard it years ago from Stu Tinker (long time owner of Betts Bookstore before David took over). He swore it was true so.....I guess it is.
    Cool. Many members here have one? I would LOVE to add to my collection but the only one I see (Abe) was like $18 grand... what would a good price be?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Regarding my description of F/F in an earlier post: The description of F/F being as new is not one used by long time established and reputable antiquarian booksellers. Their description is somewhat less rigid. But we King collectors can be of a different breed than other collectors.

In his book Discovering Stephen King (Starmont House, Inc., 1985) Darrell Schweitzer quotes L. W. Currey who wittily observed that there is now a state beyond fine in book gradations: "Never read and wrapped in plastic by a Stephen King collector."

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

LOL - it's good to know we only want the best!

My preferred version of grading above fine/fine (especially for an older book) would be MINT
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Last weeks I finally organized my collection and decided to focus it (or at least try...). Since I'm trying to get all the first publications of his works, I jumped on the easier ones that somehow I didn't buy before. So here are the first ones that arrived, plus the old Christine DJ (I replaced it with a brand new one) and my copy of Pet Sematary Anniversary.

Wanted list:
    Ubris

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I paid $350 for my 2nd state ($7.95 price clipped, Father Cody error) a few years back. It is a very good copy and pics can be found in my collection thread, though I refused to take it out of the bag!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Wonder if the insurance will work (if the book was insured)...
    Will probably sue the publisher or the government because asbestos is supposed to resist to fire, isnt it?
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    Will probably sue the publisher or the government because asbestos is supposed to resist to fire, isnt it?
    It's never been confirmed that a lettered "Firestarter" book burned.
    Why sue the publisher or "the government"?
    The DJ of the book was "supposed" be be made of asbestos and other materials. Asbestos itself doesn't easily burn (that's why it was used in brake pads).
    The significant problem with asbestos is inhaling the fibers, not using the finished product (brake pads, shingles etc.)

Millionth Post Club racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Couldn't be happier, the photo doesn't do Erin’s work justice.

Perhaps I am simply a madman who dreamt of being sane for a little while.
    — Roland Deschain

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

That is a stellar acquisition!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice HF acquisition!
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    It's never been confirmed that a lettered "Firestarter" book burned.
    Why sue the publisher or "the government"?
    The DJ of the book was "supposed" be be made of asbestos and other materials. Asbestos itself doesn't easily burn (that's why it was used in brake pads).
    The significant problem with asbestos is inhaling the fibers, not using the finished product (brake pads, shingles etc.)
    That is very cool. What do you think one is REALLY worth hard cash RF?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

>$15K

Country
    Country Flag

>$15K
    wow!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

>$15K
    wow!
    For some reason I seem to recall more like 20k not too long ago.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Servant of Gan Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

I do not think I could let mine go for anything less than $17K. Not $20K but not $15 either.
    We are remodeling our kitchen shortly and it may have to go......not sure but the renovation is NOT cheap......
    Besides the first state Salem's Lot, probably (in my mind anyway) THE next best King item....

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Cool. Many members here have one? I would LOVE to add to my collection but the only one I see (Abe) was like $18 grand... what would a good price be?
    At least four members here own a copy.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Pasiuk57 View Post
    I do not think I could let mine go for anything less than $17K. Not $20K but not $15 either.
    We are remodeling our kitchen shortly and it may have to go......not sure but the renovation is NOT cheap......
    Besides the first state Salem's Lot, probably (in my mind anyway) THE next best King item....
    I would put it about where you do... I hold matching set DT as the number one King item to have even though there area roughly 65 sets of those (more than a 1st state dj or Firestarter) as those are my favorite books he has written but it is different for everyone. If that happens (kitchen) ... PM me... depending on time line... I could be interested. thanks!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    At least four members here own a copy.
    Wow... I thought a few did... but 4 is a big number.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This board hosts major King collectors / supercollectors
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

and minor bit players like me! But i am learning from the majors!

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Funny funny..... just found this old pics on my PC... think i forget to post them.

Mi first ever signed limted Stephen King book that i bought together with a lim Bare Bones, 1# Rage, 1#Bachman books, and some other expensive books a long time ago.

Dolans Cadillac sig lim 630/1000

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

It's not really a collectible, but I was intrigued when I looked at this book.
    I ordered the book from Amazon on 12/31/2013.
    It arrived 2/6/2014.
    Check out the second photo.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 724 of 1298 FirstFirst ... 224 624 674 714 722 723 724 725 726 734 774 824 1224 ... LastLast