Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

Thread: Book Collection: jcmanske

Threaded View

Citizen of Gilead jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Book Collection: jcmanske

"Beware the man of one book."
    ----Latin Proverb

"As book collectors know all too well: We only regret our economies, never our extravagances."
    ----Michael Dirda(Washington Post Book Critic)

“Sometimes, looking at the many books I have at home, I feel I shall die before I come to the end of them, yet I cannot resist the temptation of buying new books. Whenever I walk into a bookstore and find a book on one of my hobbies — for example, Old English or Old Norse poetry — I say to myself, “What a pity I can’t buy that book, for I already have a copy at home.”
    ―--- Jorge Luis Borges, This Craft of Verse

I began reading as a young boy, primarily Hardy Boys books, The Hobbit, and other standard young male fare. When I was in high school, I stumbled onto King. My first experience of anything connected to Stephen King came when I went to see Carrie as a 15 year old in the local movie theater. I then went and picked up a copy of Salem's Lot and haven't stopped reading King since. Boy, do I wish I had held on to those hardback books I had purchased back in the day. I'm a huge fan of the Dark Tower series, but I was one of those Constant Readers that had never picked up The Gunslinger until several years ago. Now, I've finished all of the books and love them.

Being a Constant Reader and appreciator of good books, it seems it's only natural to progress from being an accumulator of books to a collector. In addition to King, I also collect Dean Koontz, George R.R. Martin and have been trying to put togther a collection of the John D. MacDonald Travis McGee hardback, 1st/1sts. As far as King, my interests are signed limiteds, lettered editions, proofs and manuscripts. I'm still a voracious reader and enjoy Lee Child, the Gabriel Allon series by Daniel Silva, Robert Crais, and lots of other popular fiction.

After hanging around thedarktower.org for a little more than a year now and admiring everyone else's collection threads, I decided the time has come to start my own thread. While my day job keeps me pretty busy, I'll try and update this as I have time.

First up is my collection of books about King. I really enjoy reading the back stories behind the books, the stories about other collectors and King's evolution as an author.

The Shape Under The Sheet: The Stephen King Encyclopedia (Lettered)

Stephen King: The Non-Fiction (Lettered)

The Road to the Dark Tower (S/L)

Stephen King from A to Z (S/L)

The Essential Stephen King: The Complete and Uncut Edition (Lettered)

Lilja's Library: The World of Stephen King (Lettered)

Bare Bones: Presentation Copy

Bare Bones: Lettered Copy AA
    Last edited by jcmanske; 01-05-2016 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Changed photo and added an item