Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Book Collection: Jonahwriter

Gunslinger Apprentice jonahwriter is on a distinguished road jonahwriter's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

Default Book Collection: Jonahwriter

Ok Merlin told me to start a collection thread. I'm going to start off with a Dorothy Parker I just bought rather than a King - then add all my Kings, and some Koontz, Laymon, and other stuff. I'm still new to collecting and kind of random...

Here's the signed "Sunset Gun" 1928 limited edition Dorothy Parker I picked up. The bit that's confusing me is the number. At first glance it looks like 315 but that's not possible so wondering if it's 115 or a squiggle in front of 15. The double signed aspect is really cool - it was signed to Bayard who is Herbert Bayard Swope http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Bayard_Swope

Opinions on the number - whether it's 115, 15, or 315 - welcome, and on the signature if anyone is familiar with Dorothy Parker! Going to upload some of my Kings now...

Gunslinger Apprentice jonahwriter is on a distinguished road jonahwriter's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

STEPHEN KING SIGNED BOOKS - NOT S/L

These are all the non-S/L and non-facsimile King sigs I own.

11/22/63

Waste Lands trade paperback

Pet Sematary 1st

Firestarter 1st

Christine 1st

Insomnia signed Gift Edition (not one of the S/L - but similar price, I went for this one instead because I liked the signature and the "Now get some sleep" inscription

Bag of Bones 1st

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

There ya go, my friend!! Can't wait to see more!!!

Now, if you can add a HF auction item, well how cool would that be?

Spoiler:
    Sorry, but it's my "job". You understand, yes? LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Breezy

I don't have many S/L - all I have so far is FROM A BUICK 8, THE TALISMAN (copy #27!), BLACK HOUSE, DOCTOR SLEEP (UK one of the 200), and WIND THROUGH THE KEYHOLE (UK one of the 200). I also have DOLORES CLAIBORNE uk S/L - but that's only a facsimile signature. I tend to prefer non-S/L for some reason. Recently I could have bought a S/L "Insomnia" for $350 or a signed Gift Edition of same book for $300 and I went for the latter - probably stupid in terms of collectible value but I liked the sig and inscription on the Gift Edition more...

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jonahwriter View Post
    I don't have many S/L - all I have so far is FROM A BUICK 8, THE TALISMAN (copy #27!), BLACK HOUSE, DOCTOR SLEEP (UK one of the 200), and WIND THROUGH THE KEYHOLE (UK one of the 200). I also have DOLORES CLAIBORNE uk S/L - but that's only a facsimile signature. I tend to prefer non-S/L for some reason. Recently I could have bought a S/L "Insomnia" for $350 or a signed Gift Edition of same book for $300 and I went for the latter - probably stupid in terms of collectible value but I liked the sig and inscription on the Gift Edition more...
    Hey, look at my collection thread, we all started somewhere!! Just display your wares and go from there. It becomes fun and addictive!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I like what I see so far! Just listen to the owls.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

My Mood
    Breezy

Thanks! But we both know the Owls are not what they seem. lol

I'll upload some more stuff later - but that's the bulk of my Kings mentioned. I have all the UK/US editions of his books as well, many 1st but not all.

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I *love* new Collector threads! More Pictures!!!!
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Very, very nice items, Jonah!

John

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice inscribed copies!
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Great stuff here! Keep 'em coming.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Now I'll have to watch all the Twin Peaks DVDs over again! I've seen the TV show and the movies about three times, but it's always great to re-watch them. One of the top 10 TV programs in the space/time continuum in my opinion.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

My Mood
    Breezy

I agree! I love TP. I rewatched it last winter and probably will again later this year. I used to buy TP collectibles too but I've quit that now to save money to buy more books LOL!

Gunslinger Apprentice idlewarnings has a spectacular aura about idlewarnings has a spectacular aura about idlewarnings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I love the Dorothy Parker book. That's an amazing association copy. Thanks for posting it.

My Mood
    Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by idlewarnings View Post
    I love the Dorothy Parker book. That's an amazing association copy. Thanks for posting it.
    Thanks idelwarnings! I'm pretty psyched about it. I'm going to have to try to track down a facsimile jacket for that edition but it's going to be tricky or impossible. I'm also still trying to figure out what number the edition is. I think it's a squiggle or a "j" then a 15. The seller has no idea about it.

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

VERY nice start for a new collection thread !!!

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jonahwriter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by idlewarnings View Post
    Thanks idelwarnings! I'm pretty psyched about it. I'm going to have to try to track down a facsimile jacket for that edition but it's going to be tricky or impossible. I'm also still trying to figure out what number the edition is. I think it's a squiggle or a "j" then a 15. The seller has no idea about it.
    As someone has written 'presentation' next to it, could it be 'P15' Ie presentation copy number 15?
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

My Mood
    Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by Stockerlone View Post
    VERY nice start for a new collection thread !!!
    Thank you! I need to buy a new digital camera and then I'll put up some more, for now I'm either just snapping with my smart phone (which is not the best quality) or uploading the photos the sellers used on ebay on the items I bought!

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    As someone has written 'presentation' next to it, could it be 'P15' Ie presentation copy number 15?
    Hmm. Good point! It would be a strange-looking "P" but it would make a lot more sense than the "J" or "I" that it looks like. I'm wondering if these were included in the 275 numbered or if they had a few Presentation Copies of this also. Information on this book is hard to come by. I can't even find a full photo or scan of the original dustjacket, I've never seen one of these for sale before on abebooks let alone ebay, only a couple in various online "lots" on collectable sites, and even they were not association copies. For now I'm going to take it that this is "P15". Thanks!

My Mood
    Breezy

I've got some exciting purchases coming later this week and next week, then I'm taking a hiatus from collecting for awhile to focus on my novel in progress and because I've hidden my credit card (lol!)

I've also got some old purchases I want to take proper photos of. To date I've only snapped with smartphone or uploaded photos direct from listings I've purchased as my digital camera broke on holidays and I keep forgetting to get a new one.

Anyway, here's a book I purchased this week from abebooks, kind of unusual, it's a first of Tabitha King's "Small World" signed/inscribed by her, also signed on a bookplate, but what makes it really cool is that it's flatsigned and dated by King on her dedication to him.

Pics below.

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Found these for Sunset Gun:

Spoiler:

1st Edition HB:

1st Edition DJ:

Limited Edition Slipcase:

About the number on your book. Since it says Presentation and 250 of the 275 are for sale my guess is that the little mark indicates that the first 25 copies (with that mark) are Presentation copies and copies 26 through 275 are numbered and for sale. All were signed. If you look at my pics, you'll see copy #85 without a mark which further supports my theory.

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

That's very cool!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, it is!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by skyofcrack View Post
    Found these for Sunset Gun:

Spoiler:

1st Edition HB:

1st Edition DJ:

Limited Edition Slipcase:

About the number on your book. Since it says Presentation and 250 of the 275 are for sale my guess is that the little mark indicates that the first 25 copies (with that mark) are Presentation copies and copies 26 through 275 are numbered and for sale. All were signed. If you look at my pics, you'll see copy #85 without a mark which further supports my theory.
    Thanks for this! I've found some of those images too. But I think you're right that the little mark is a little mark and the first 25 copies!

On another note, I am STILL waiting for this book to arrive Getting a bit worried now, hope it arrives this week. Ebay says April 25th is estimated date but the tracking number the seller provided via USPS only shows it last in Chicago, USA on April 11th - it won't show info beyond that to Ireland, like UPS tracking does. :/

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I wouldn't worry too much about the tracking. I've had packages where the tracking said it was just received by the Post Office show up at my house. I've found that the estimated date of arrival is usually fairly accurate within a day or so either way.

John

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I've received items in 3 days from Europe but it's also taken a month from places like Switzerland so you never know with Customs.

Edit:

Go here:

http://webtrack.dhlglobalmail.com/

Try punching in that tracking number there. After a package leaves the States it has to get picked up by another carrier usually it's DHL.

I've had many packages start with DHL then get transferred over to USPS once they hit the States.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast