Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: San Diego Comic Con 2012

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Default San Diego Comic Con 2012

So, as I posted in other threads, last month I made another one of my crazy trips, this time to San Diego, to attend SDCC for the first time in my life. And...I'm still shocked about the event. I delayed the posting of the chronicle and pics due to some personal issues but today I'm on the road and wanted to share this with you all.

To be honest, this project began almost by accident. Some time ago I told a friend of mine who is a big comics fan that it would be cool to attend one day to the Comic-Con. It's only 5 days and we could enjoy everything we always see on the internet. And my friend...took the idea literaly. And during another local event another friend jumped in, so it was a matter of digging a little bit on the idea and...well...I don't know how it happened, but on january I had the tickets, and on July 10th after three connections and 23 hours of flight, I arrived at the airport in San Diego, California.

I must confess that the first few hours in San Diego were not the best. The first problem was that I could not check-in at the hotel until 5 hours after arriving. San Diego has a great transportation system ... once you understand it (if not you can spend 3 hours walking to reach the airport again...) And as far as possible, unless they are reflex cameras, try to avoid buying a Sony digital because they tend to NOT work and they don't take a single picture. So, after these little problems in the first 5 hours in San Diego, I started enjoying the city, which is very beautiful and picturesque.

On Wednesday July 11 Comic-Con opens its doors to fewer people, in what is called Preview Night. It's a day where doors open at 6pm and close three hours later. Not many events and panels take place on that day, but is ideal for touring the nearly 7000 stands present. And, despite the large number of people going to the event (Saturday had near 100,000 in the place), everything is so organized that it is impossible not to enter a few minutes after the opening of doors. That same day, for example, Charles Adlard, illustrator of the comic The Walking Dead was signing copies. So, after getting our badges (credentials), and receive as a gift one of those giant bags where you place everything you buy, we made the queue waiting for the opening. And when the Con started, we found pretty quickly the booth where Charles was signing and...voilá...got the first item in less than 10 minutes. The madness began...

After obtaining the signature of Charles Adlard on a few copies of The Walking Dead #100 I started visiting several stands. And few minutes later we find one dedicated to the tv show Haven, where some items were given away and they also had for sale the first season on dvd and a Comic-Con T-shirt. Of course I bought one inmediately and there we got the first surprise: The first 30 shirts sold included a ticket to an exclusive event with the cast, to be held in a pub a few blocks from the complex. My shirt was the entry number 5, so we purchased two more (one for each of my friends) and we booked the event.

After that, it was time to go, trying to grab everything that was given as a gift in most of the stands. One advice for future visitors: do not grab everything just because it's free. At the end of the trip you will leave behind a lot of pamphlets, papers, postcards and even items that are not going to be interested. But hey, this is something you learn on the fourth day. The first days is inevitable you'll pick up and grab EVERYTHING they'll put in front of you.

After three hours touring that were very short, loudspeakers announced the closing of the event for that day. I was so tired I couldn't even stay awake...so at 9 pm I felt asleep.

On Thursday (and now with a new camera), I entered the event with a paper with all the info of the events I wanted to visit on that day. And the first one was Joe Hill signing at the booth of Harper Collins. I got in line 10:50 (the signing started at 11am) and waited for the signing to start. I had in my hand the spanish copy of Locke and Key II and a paperback copy of 20th Century Ghosts (I already have his other books signed thanks to loving people from dt.org ). When I got near Joe I asked someone to take me a pic when I was with Joe. When it was my turn, I shook hands with Joe, greeted him and told him I came from Argentina. He asked how things were going on Buenos Aires. He signed both things and I told him that I was hoping he someday visited us there. He told me "I'd love to. As a matter of fact, we're talking with my agent to do a South American tour". I took another pic with him and left. It was AWESOME!

Next to Joe:

And both books signed:

After this great moment, well..I just started to walk, enjoy and took a lot of pics. Here are some:

(He choosed... poorly)

The pic that allowed me to win Liljas' contest:

At 5 pm I met with Dave McKean (I talked with him before the event and he told me to stop by at Art Spiegelman's booth) and took a pic with him:

And got three items signed. My Viking 1st ed. of Wizard and Glass (already signed by King)

A copy of Coraline signed by Neil Gaiman and now by Dave McKean as well:

And a small sketch on Arkham Asylum's Comic:

Half an hour later the event closed for the day and we headed for Haven's event at the pub

I'll post that chronicle and what happened on Friday, Saturday and Sunday later
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Gunslinger Apprentice super sam is on a distinguished road super sam's Avatar

Great story and great pictures

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Sounds like a wonderful time. Congrats and can't wait to hear about the rest of the week.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Excellent, Ari!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!!

Nice additions as well!!!

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Excellent read! I look forward to the rest!

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Ari, you are one lucky guy. I envy you your trip and am looking forward to more pictures.

You should have grabbed that Professor X stuff, put it on and walked casually out the door. No one would have noticed.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

unbelievable!
    super jealous. thats awesome for you though, big time.

Servant of Gan Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Ari-GREAT stuff!! I have to get there sometime!

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Looks great Ari !
    Thanks for sharing
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Tks a lot for sharing Ari !!!
    GREAT NEW STUFF !!

Rabid Billybumbler Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Very nice Ari,
    Thank you for sharing, looking forward to more.

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.” - Stephen King

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Love hearing about your trip, Ari. Looking forward to hearing more!
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks to all for the comments and sorry for the delay!

We arrived at the pub where the HAVEN event was going to take place (red carpet to enter the plce). And on the inside all the pub was HAVEN-theme. There were also some screens on where you could watch a chapter of the show:

A few minutes before 9PM the actors arrived to the place and gave a couple of interviews in the outside (pretty cool to see everthing from inside the place) and one by one they entered the place, being the first one Emily Rose. And of course...

She's really beautiful! More than in the tv show! The next one to enter was Lucas Bryant, who headed to the private sector of the pub without stopping. And finally the one who entered was Eric Balfour, who was the most cheerful of the three. I took a pic with him at that moment, but it was blured. So after a couple of minutes, both Eric and Lucas were out of the private sector taking pictures with everyone:

Lucas asked me from where I was due to my accent and when I told him I was from Argentina he was thrilled that the show was broadcasted in my country.

And then I got a picture with Eric, who was really cool with everyone.

After that we started drinking and eating (everything was free and top!) and enjoying the evening.

I got a picture with a couple of girls from the show:

And at that moment one person approached us and started talking with me. He was Lloyd Segan! Executive Producer of SyFy, Haven, The Dead Zone and many others. We talked about the impact of the show, its response in USA and in Argentina. He was really cool and we talked for about 10 minutes. Then we had a toast and, at 11 pm, we left the place.

Beautiful waitresses!

Wanted list:
    Ubris

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

After a full thursday, Friday was a day full of things to do at SDCC. I arrived the place early and tried to understand how the fuck could I get tickets for Game of Thrones signing event. I took my spanish copy to get it signed but by the moment I found out how to get them, they were gone. So I head for the exhibitors' hall and started to walk. On that morning The Walking Dead signing event was taking place:

A couple of minutes later I noticed other signings I was missing. For example, Guillermo del Toro:

That's the thing you gotta "pay" to understand the Con: you'll lose a lot of events you wanted to attend until you figure out how they work. In those 30 minutes I also saw Orson Scott Card signing books (I brought with me my spanish copy of Ender's game, but I didn't have it with me at that point) and the Comic-God, Stan Lee:

After seeing Stan, I noticed Joe Hill signing was ending, so I head to IDW booth and got more stuff from him signed!

By that moment both my friends were saying that I was having a signatures-fever, so we split and decided to get together later. So at that moment I headed to Jeph Loeb signing, who wrote, in my opinion, the best comic book ever: Batman - The Long Halloween. I had my spanish copy, so I got him to sign it and talked two minutes about that story. And of course I got a picture with him

And my copy signed

The next event I got in my schedule was a signing event by Scott Snyder and Rafael Albuquerque. I approached DC Booth and asked about it, and the person there told me to return at 1:45 pm. I did and...the line was already closed! I couldn't believe it! But...at this point, I started to trust on my luck, so I got behind the last one in line and apparently I gave trust to everyone behind me because we all waited, even when the person in charge told us that we might not get the signature. But...we did And when I got in front of Scott and Rafael, Rafael recognized me from the Buenos Aires event and we talked for a moment there, when Rafael introduced me to Scott and told him we met in Buenos Aires. What a cool guy he is! Rafael draw one Skinner Sweet in a cardboard for me and Scott signed all the comics I got:

Wanted list:
    Ubris

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

After this I rushed to other sector of the Con where the Haven cast was signing stuff. Even when I spend the evening with all of them on the previous day, I didn't get any stuff signed on that day. So I spend one hour in line and finally got in front of them. And even when the organization asked not to delay much with pictures, since I was from Argentina the girl in charge took me a pic with the whole cast!

After the event I met one of my friends again and we go out to have lunch. It was 5PM, and outside the event someone was giving away some boxes of matches. I grabbed two by instinct...and look what I got:

Probably I'll be puting the 2nd box for sale in the next days

After this great surprise, we went again inside the Con and it was 6 pm. Breaking Bad's panel was going to start a 6:45 pm in Ballroom 20, one of the rooms that had 2500 seats. Not many chances to enter, but we headed for the line anyway...and we entered! And at 6.45 pm...

During the panel actors and creator talked about what we could expect this season, and how they felt about the show. Jokes, funny comments, well...the event was AWESOME, and by the moment it ended I got up and went near the stage to take pics.

We left the place at 7.30 pm, Exhibitors Hall was already closed so we headed to the hotel. Yes...all the things I posted here took place in less than 24 hs. And I'll post more later
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh my! Looks like it was a great time.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm exhausted just reading about all that! But it sounds like a fantastic time. I would've loved to see the Breaking Bad panel/meet Joe Hill.

And that matchbook is very cool!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Absolutely Wonderful, Ari!!!!! Thanks so much for sharing!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

You sure made good use of your time, Ari. Not a minute wasted!
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Wow, great stuff, I wish I had been there!
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Citizen of Gilead Lauterer has a spectacular aura about Lauterer has a spectacular aura about Lauterer's Avatar

My Mood
    Devilish

Nice pics to look 4 us... great memories 4 u!!!

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Pretty cool !
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Tks a lot for sharing Ari.

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

Spectacular Ari! What a great time. Appreciate all the pics
    reality continues to ruin my life

Architect Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Great pictures! Now I am in panic mode. I'm going to Dragon*Con Sunday and I am apparently totally unprepared.
    People love frozen yogurt. I don't know what to tell you.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast