Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 38 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 37 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Sci Fi nominations + General updates throughout the tournament

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I see five people contesting Hugo and two supporting...

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

The rule was that if it was seconded, it stayed. And it was.

Let's move on now. I'm compiling the list as we speak.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm ready to vote, I just don't understand why Hugo is included. It's not even fantasy, much less sci-fi.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SirFolio16 View Post
    I'll second Hugo
    Not sci-fi.
    Perhaps we should re-name the contest to "Best Sci-Fi movie or any random movie of another genre that just happens to have some element commonly associated with sci-fi, no matter how tangential." That would apply to quite a few entries!
    That was my thinking. We shouldn't have opened it up for more noms since now we have some questionable entries. Hugo a sci-fi movie, I must be taking crazy pills.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    The rule was that if it was seconded, it stayed. And it was.

Let's move on now. I'm compiling the list as we speak.
    So if somebody had of seconded Schindlers List it would have stayed?

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Then Im nominating it for our comedy tournament and somebody better second it. If we can have great non scifi movies here we can have totally unfunny films in that lol

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Groups will be up soon guys! Within the next like, hour or so.

Country
    Country Flag

The comedy tournament should be fun too. And some movies are such dark comedies, it's not even funny. I mean American Psycho is technically a comedy.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Well at least we didn't get Transformers 2 and 3 and however many of the identical wrecks the CGI machine has cranked out by now. Truthfully, the animated movie was better sci-fi and a better story than anything Mi$hael Bay has done.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Well at least we didn't get Transformers 2 and 3 and however many of the identical wrecks the CGI machine has cranked out by now. Truthfully, the animated movie was better sci-fi and a better story than anything Mi$hael Bay has done.
    Never seen it... is it worth seeing?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Ferny, could you paste the full 160 to your first post of this thread or some other sticky for ease of refence? Especially since some but not all sequels and remakes are included, voters should probably stay aware of what they get to choose from overall.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Never seen it... is it worth seeing?
    It depends on the original tv cartoon series - a little hard to follow if you don't watch a lot of that first. But it's way trippy anyhow.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Ferny, could you paste the full 160 to your first post of this thread or some other sticky for ease of refence? Especially since some but not all sequels and remakes are included, voters should probably stay aware of what they get to choose from overall.
    Sure. I'll add it to the first post right meow.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

With comedy the conditions for nomination are simple: it must be primarily funny, intended to be funny i.e. bad movies that are funny because they are made to be bad or are just bad are not included lol. It can be any genre (drama, sci-fi, action...it just doesn't matter, so long as it is funny all the way through. Will be interesting to a poll like this:

Dumb and Dumber
    Knocked Up
    Lost In Translation
    Shaun of the Dead
    Almost Famous
    Notting Hill
    Zoolander
    Annie Hall

Comedy might require a greater use of seconding, like seconding a movie numerous times so we can nominate as many as we want but it's the top 128/160 in secondings that gets included...comedy is so broad who knows how many nominations we could actually get haha

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I disagree. Romantic comedy for example doesn't even have to be funny as long as it is positive. That qualifies as comedy too. Unless you define funny as fun and define being positive the same way... but that's circular; might as well simplify it to say "comedy is comedy." Anyway, it's certainly true that 160 is a tiny number for comedies. That would be soo difficult.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

If a romantic comedy isn't funny, then it's a romance...like Captain Corelli's Mandolin (puke) or A Walk In The Clouds (puke again). My point was pretty much all genre's are included in comedies so long as you can laugh all the way through them (depending on humour tastes of course). I find a movie like Another Year to be hilarious then again someone else could watch it and be bored or only laugh sometimes so I wouldn't nominate it.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Wait, we are doing a comedy tourney next? That’s awesome. I’m all about comedies. Most of my favorite movies are comedies. I could probably come up with 100 movies on my own.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Country
    Country Flag

I think the system with 160 titles we're using for the sci-fi tourney will work out great. We can use that going forward for any such big tournament.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    Wait, we are doing a comedy tourney next? That’s awesome. I’m all about comedies. Most of my favorite movies are comedies. I could probably come up with 100 movies on my own.
    What's Up, Doc? Would get my vote!!

sk

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd be afraid of some great older comedies not advance, like Some Like It Hot...what a fantastic film that was. "Well, nobody's perfect."

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

The board has gone tournament crazy

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I like it!
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

No need for a tournament, Bringing Up Baby is the best comedy by a long mile, and one of the best films ever made. But sure, tournaments are fun.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I would love for us to do a comedy tournament next. I know. I know. One thing at a time, but still....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 38 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 37 ... LastLast