Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Your Ranking of King's Books

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think so, yes. I loved Shawshank; I don't think it's a great movie, but it's a very good, sound movie. I also think that TGM is a good, sound film as well (if we overlook the stardust coming from the mouth), but that's how it usually it is with good (as opposed to great) films: if you don't like the characters and the story, you can't like the movie.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

True, but even when I don't like a movie, I can like the acting. Comes from having been an actor, I suppose.

(And I apologize for falling completely off-topic.)

Gunslinger Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Path, glad to hear you don't absolutely hate Cell. We'll see if I still feel that way after the last three quarters are read. I can't help but this it will be, at least partially, though. The voice is what reminds me of it the most. But there's also graphic gross-out scenes of violence; an artist (this one being one of many writers) through which King can speak of his craft and creativity; adolescence dealing with death; and the pacing (and even page layout) of the works.

Bears: Your Rage, On Writing, and Hearts In Atlantis are my Wolves and Insomnia. Rage really surprised me, based on your love for Roadwork. I love the 'Stories of my life' heading; when I read Joyland, that's exactly what I was thinking, (in a sane way) that it was written for me.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Stebbins, Maybe my choice of words was unfortunate. I have always felt that King writing as Bachman was more an attempt at the gritty, crime writer format. So I suppose I falsely associated them. I do applaud, King's ability to take on another writing persona, and I did enjoy "Joyland" immensely. If my post came off as criticism, I apologize that was not my intent. BTW no offense is taken (or was given) this is more as a clarification of sorts.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Stebbins View Post
    Path, glad to hear you don't absolutely hate Cell.
    Yes, bears too. Though I loved only the second half, while the first bored me almost to the point of dropping the book.

Bears: Your Rage, On Writing, and Hearts In Atlantis are my Wolves and Insomnia. Rage really surprised me, based on your love for Roadwork.
    I fail to see any similarity whatsoever between Rage and Roadwork. From any point of view. The former is puerile, very poorly written and entirely meaningless; the latter is exactly the opposite. I always felt as if Roadwork was written by some third hypostasis of Sai King, different from both King per se and his Bachman identity.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Yes, bears too. Though I loved only the second half, while the first bored me almost to the point of dropping the book.
    Funny, I absolutely loved the beginning of that book. It's probably one of my favorite openings to a King story.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Gunslinger Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Bill, we're all aces, friend.

Bears, I definitely disagree. Rage is without a doubt "low-class," but it is not meaningless or unrelated to Roadwork (and other Bachmans). It's about growing up in American, and not being lucky enough to make it through with all your marbles. Isn't Roadwork's anti-hero also insane? I could argue that Rage is a more cogent story, but to what end? We won't change our views and the only thing it could do would be to heat tempers. I just think you gave it a bad shake, or didn't read it in a juvenile frame of mind.

Cell gripped me from the start, it certainly builds as the story progresses though.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Funny, I absolutely loved the beginning of that book. It's probably one of my favorite openings to a King story.
    Next time I re-read it, I'll keep it in mind! What is good for heathers is good for bears!

I could argue <...> but to what end? We won't change our views and the only thing it could do would be to heat tempers.
    No. Arguing is a great thing, for all parties involved. It's great to see someone present their argumentation. It's great to learn to discuss things civilly. It's totally great to keep an open mind and try to see the opponent's point of view. If we have a Rage thread, I would like you to post there.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Next time I re-read it, I'll keep it in mind! What is good for heathers is good for bears!

I could argue <...> but to what end? We won't change our views and the only thing it could do would be to heat tempers.
    No. Arguing is a great thing, for all parties involved. It's great to see someone present their argumentation. It's great to learn to discuss things civilly. It's totally great to keep an open mind and try to see the opponent's point of view. If we have a Rage thread, I would like you to post there.
    What? no flaming? That's boring!!!

Spoiler:
    Just Kidding. You are 100% correct, Bears
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I gotta agree with you here. I loved how visceral the opening bloodbath was. Hard to forget, as was the insanely vicious killing of a major character...
    Spoiler:
    by a block of cement.
    I was traumatized. King really kills me when he takes away characters I have become attached to.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Jean, like how you have put your list together. This format would have save me from the tedious nature of a full ranking, and much consternation from other users. Disappointed to see 11/22/63 so low on your list - I wonder if our nationalities play a role here because I love the book very much. Black House is much too high for my taste, as is Road Work. Duma Key does not surprise me, as it's one of those novels that really resonates.

Country
    Country Flag

Fair enough, Jean. You strike me as a man that I could debate with in a civilized manner, and I appreciate your input. Do we have a Rage thread? I just returned the Bachman Books to the library, but I'd like to pose my argument while it's still relatively fresh in my mind.

Dr.Zaius: Agree about Duma Key, I think it was the most graceful way King injected what it is to make art into a story, and the villain was shades of Pennywise, for me.

Country
    Country Flag

Do we have a Rage thread?
    http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...**Spoilers!***

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    Jean, like how you have put your list together. This format would have save me from the tedious nature of a full ranking, and much consternation from other users.
    it wasn't my idea, it was Heather's

Disappointed to see 11/22/63 so low on your list - I wonder if our nationalities play a role here because I love the book very much.
    I am sure it's the case. Only really good books (movies etc) don't depend on anything (well, other than the reader's experience and intelligence, but it somehow goes without saying) to be loved, while the ones that are not really great may be loved for a number of reasons, such as the reader's background, taste, religion, love for a particular genre, etc.

Two of my favorite books ever (and the ones I nominated first thing in the Top 100) are as American as they come... one set in a small Alabama town, the other along the Mississippi river... long before I was born... As a third book, a huge Sai King novel comes to mind, where American society was first destroyed and then recreated as best as it could... In none of these, or other (innumerable) cases did my total unrelatedness to the context prevent me from loving the books with all my ursine heart.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Fair enough, Jean. You strike me as a man that I could debate with in a civilized manner, and I appreciate your input.

I would heartily embrace that sentiment!!! I may not always agree with, Jean, but I always respect his respect for other's opinions and have learned much from him. He rarely (If, ever) makes others feel belittled or scorned. He is always respectful. I wish I could claim as much.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

: blushing bear :

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

: blushing bear :

You know its true!!! LOL LOL LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

Glad to have both you guys on this forum!

Bears: Is the thread locked? I could not post on it.

Country
    Country Flag

which one?

Country
    Country Flag

The RAGE one; there was no reply box.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, that's weird. Looks like a few of the threads linked from List-of-official-discussion-threads-for-SK-books have been moved out of Cara Laughs into the 2009-Constant-Reader-Awards archive.

Country
    Country Flag

weird. I most definitely did not move them. I've moved Rage where it belongs (Cara Laughs).

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Updating for Doctor Sleep
    1. It
    2. The Shining
    3. Hearts in Atlantis
    4. Insomnia
    5. Black House
    6. Eyes of the Dragon
    7. The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon
    8. The Dark Tower: Wolves of the Calla
    9. The Dark Tower: The Drawing of the Three
    10. The Dark Tower: The Waste Lands
    11. Under the Dome
    12. Duma Key
    13. 11/22/63
    14. 'Salem's Lot
    15. Desperation
    16. The Talisman
    17. Doctor Sleep
    18. The Stand
    19. Everything's Eventual
    20. Joyland
    21. Night Shift
    22. Nightmares and Dreamscapes
    23. On Writing
    24. Skeleton Crew
    25. The Long Walk
    26. The Dead Zone
    27. Blaze
    28. Rage
    29. The Dark Tower: The Wind through the Keyhole
    30. The Green Mile
    31. Firestarter
    32. Christine
    33. The Dark Half
    34. Bag of Bones
    35. Roadwork
    36. Different Seasons
    37. Dreamcatcher
    38. The Regulators
    39. The Dark Tower: Wizard and Glass
    40. The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger
    41. From a Buick 8
    42. Four Past Midnight
    43. Cujo
    44. Carrie
    45. Danse Macabre
    46. The Plant
    47. Pet Sematary
    48. Misery
    49. Full Dark No Stars
    50. Rose Madder
    51. The Dark Tower: The Dark Tower
    52. The Dark Tower: Song of Susannah
    53. Just After Sunset
    54. Needful Things
    55. Cell
    56. The Running Man
    57. Lisey's Story
    58. Storm of the Century
    59. Cycle of the Werewolf
    60. Rose Red
    61. The Tommyknockers
    62. Thinner
    63. Dolores Clairborne
    64. Gerald's Game
    65. The Colorado Kid
    66. Blockade Billy
    67. Faithful
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Really? You rate it behind "The Talisman"? Interesting. I would have slid it into EOTD's slot, personally. Then maybe I am still hyped from having just read it.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It's been a while since I read it but some of my favorite SK moments (like Wolf) come from the Talisman.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    It's been a while since I read it but some of my favorite SK moments (like Wolf) come from the Talisman.
    Hey, not fair enough. I like them both as well, though Black House is a all time favorite. I suppose I have just fallen to "Dr. Sleep/The Shining" IMO a very good follow-up.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast