Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Hugh Howey, author

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Hugh Howey, author

I have not seen Hugh's name listed here - so I figured I would start a thread. I am just getting started on his Wool series (a little late to the table). The film rights for that book have already been sold to 20th century fox. Anyway he's going to start promoting the hardcover release of Wool this month. He's only making a few stops - like 12

http://www.hughhowey.com/calendar/

He will be in the Bay Area (in Berkeley) for a reading on the evening of 19 march at book inc. I'm not on call that night so I plan on making the trip (it's only about 40 miles away).

http://www.booksinc.net/event/hugh-h...s-inc-berkeley

So if anyone's interested in going let me know. Also if anyone's looking for a signed book let me know (I assume he'll be signing books - but I'll call and check before the event).

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not familar with the author but the book sounds interesting. Have fun at the event and I will keep an eye out for this one.

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Btw wool can usually be found pretty cheaply for the kindle, etc.

Citizen of Gilead Coulrophobia is a jewel in the rough Coulrophobia is a jewel in the rough Coulrophobia is a jewel in the rough Coulrophobia's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

One of the Kindle success stories. I wonder how many people will have their Kindles signed. Have fun at the event.

Citizen of Gilead jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g's Avatar

The book is fantastic. I have just got Shift and can't wait to start reading it.

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Is there going to be a HC of this book? I looked on Amazon and it looks like its only the PB that is being released.

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes Goldsboro books has 1st edition hard covers and signed limited editions. Im reading the first book now on my kindle. Loven it!

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

He's going to be in Houston at Murder by the Book Monday night; will get my UK signed too. Here is the Goldsboro edition - looks just like the UK HB except for the signed page and slipcover.

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

I think I must now pick one up from Mysterious Galaxy!
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Citizen of Gilead Lauterer has a spectacular aura about Lauterer has a spectacular aura about Lauterer's Avatar

My Mood
    Devilish

The press Piper are just printing Wool in german language called Silo (same meaning in english like in german). You can preorder it already and they start delivery at the 12th of March. Because of this thread and the good recommendations about the book i ordered it at amazon and i am looking forward! I do not really know why they changed the title to Silo and the cover is really ugly, but i think the book is much better...

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

so far its been a great read.
    I have a signed limited copy and have ordered the matching number of the second book from Goldboro.
    I definitely owe Props to Chad for this one

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Is there going to be a HC of this book? I looked on Amazon and it looks like its only the PB that is being released.
    There will be a US hardcover released by Simon and Schuster. They are apparently into the 2nd printing already pre publication.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Joe315 View Post
    There will be a US hardcover released by Simon and Schuster. They are apparently into the 2nd printing already pre publication.
    Well I guess I missed the boat on this one. I see some signed (not S/L) Goldsboro editions are still available however it doesn't say which printing.

Country
    Country Flag

Well I guess I missed the boat on this one. I see some signed (not S/L) Goldsboro editions are still available however it doesn't say which printing.
    Check out the Goldsboro website

http://www.goldsborobooks.com/search.php?q=Hugh+howey

They list it as 1st/1st HC uk version wool - signed. I had already ordered one and it has shipped. They also still have copies of drift s/l available to order - didn't go as fast as the s/l of wool (sold out in 2 days). I thought the HC was to be released on 12 march - I had originally ordered it on amazon - but cancelled it once I got the signed uk edition.

Country
    Country Flag

If you check out Hugh's blog he has several posts each day - especially with the book due out in a few days
    Sorry this isn't a link to his blog - but it's the Wall Street journal article about his book release

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...088305668.html

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Lol,
    anybody read the story about Hugh Howey going to a fantasy con and meeting George Martin. George said "I have never heard of you or read your book". Hugh said "Im #6 on amazon right behind your five GOT books." George proceeded to sign Hugh's book
    " To #6, Keep trying , Geoge Marrtin" well a short time later Hugh's wool passed all GRRM and made it to #1.
    I bet GRRM saw that at home one day and must have laughed to himself thinking, OMG, that guy was serious, lol.

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by cit74 View Post
    Check out the Goldsboro website

http://www.goldsborobooks.com/search.php?q=Hugh+howey

They list it as 1st/1st HC uk version wool - signed. I had already ordered one and it has shipped. They also still have copies of drift s/l available to order - didn't go as fast as the s/l of wool (sold out in 2 days). I thought the HC was to be released on 12 march - I had originally ordered it on amazon - but cancelled it once I got the signed uk edition.
    The UK release was in January. The US hardback will have a dust jacket, if that makes a difference to anyone. And if you order a book from one of his US tour stops those should be 1st printings.

Country
    Country Flag

Alright. Just called books inc. in Berkeley and confirmed that Hugh will be there on 19 March from 7pm to about 830, and of course he will be signing books. I put two HC on hold (one for simon). Also I asked if they had the first printing (since there was a "small print run" and they were already on the second printing. The guy checked the HC he had - and it never made mention of first (or second) printing - so my assumption is these will be the first printings (I assume the seconds will say so).

If anyone else is interested PM me and I can see if I can add to my order (they didn't need any cc info up front either) - and if you want it personalized, etc. I might even have my UK edition by then to get that inscribed as well.

Oh - and let's see if anyone else will join me at this event.

Country
    Country Flag

Oh yeah - in regards to the books if you could let me know by this Sunday morning that would be great - that way I will wait until then to add any extra books and just make one call - and getting done early. But it was interesting since in Hugh's blog he says:

You might be out of luck! As you may know, Simon & Schuster are doing a simultaneous paperback and hardback release. I love the idea of this, as it gives more options to the reader. The problem is, they didn’t order very many hardbacks in the initial print run. They’ve already ordered a second printing, and the book isn’t even out yet!

I checked with my first book signing venue, and they’ve had quite a few pre-orders for hardbacks. One customer ordered TEN copies! This makes my heart sing, but it means you probably want to pre-order a hardback at the bookstore where I’ll be signing if you want to guarantee you’ll get one. I expect most stores will have more paperbacks than hardbacks. I’d hate for someone to drive a long way and not find the book they need once they get there!

If you are coming to one of my twelve stops to see me, you face a bit of a choice. Do you order the book ahead of time and bring it with you? This guarantees you have a copy, but the bookstore loses the sale. Or do you chance them having enough in order to support the bookstore? What if they run out?

Here’s what I propose: Wait and get a copy at the bookstore (in fact, get two or three copies. They make great gifts!). If anyone is left out, I’ll do what I’ve always done with my own versions: I’ll sign and personalize the book and ship it straight to you. I’ll get Simon and Schuster to help out, or I’ll buy the books myself to make it happen.

I would much rather the bookstore sell what they have than be stuck with a ton of stock. We’ll make sure everyone gets a book — I promise. And be sure to bring any of those rare and collectible print-on-demand books you may have.

If you are going to want a hardback instead of a paperback, call the bookstore ahead of time and make sure they ordered some. See how many they are going to get or if you can pre-order a copy. There weren’t many hardbacks printed to begin with, so the first printing is definitely going to sell out. Plan ahead of time. Can’t wait to meet you all in person!

Country
    Country Flag

Okay wanted people's thoughts on this one - it's an arc of the wool series - 5 books - not signed - seller countered with $250.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wool-Omnibus...item3ccf879270

I don't want to pay that much - but I can get these all individually signed at the event on the 19th - is $200 an okay price? Or still too much?

Thanks

Citizen of Gilead jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g's Avatar

Does it have the yellow band around the five books? I don't see mention of it in the description. Only a couple have sold on eBay in England at around £125-140. They were not signed. Unfortunately I could not make any of the UK signings and so could not get my proof signed.
    Don't know if that helps?

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Any idea of about how many were published? That seems a very high price of a possible "flash in the pan" book. If the series really takes off, it could be a good deal at the asking price, but if it doesn't, you've paid way too much.

John

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I just checked with the bookstore that will be hosting his Chicago signing this coming Thursday and they are only prodiving paperbacks for the event.
    I guess I won't be rushing there after work!
    Mark Twain

Country
    Country Flag

Doesn't matter for the arc's - someone bought them for $225 - which is good since my wife just bought a few dresses here in Vegas.

I'm pretty sure the one in Berkeley will have HC - since the guy in the store was looking at one to give me edition info. Although I had to place a "special order". If anyone else is interested just let me know by tomorrow morning -i will call the store Sunday afternoon - once I get back from Vegas to see if I can add some more.

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd love a signed copy! PM Sent.
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624