Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wayward Pines the series *spoilers*

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Default Wayward Pines the series *spoilers*

Finally a place for us to discuss everything concerning the tv series Wayward Pines. Who's watching and what do you think so far?

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I still need to watch the most recent episode.
    Also, from what I saw of the previews, I really hope that they don't change how Theresa and Ben got to Wayward Pines. From the preview, it looks like they're driving there to find Ethan.

Spoiler:
    I'm hoping they don't change the whole story line to basically be about Wayward Pines just being a messed up town , leaving out the whole part about the suspension and it being the future.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    I'm hoping they don't change the whole story line to basically be about Wayward Pines just being a messed up town , leaving out the whole part about the suspension and it being the future.
    That's exactly what I was (and am) worried about, too. Then again, there's something at the end of episode three (that I won't mention since you haven't seen it) that I thought for sure they would leave out, that they ended up including. So I guess we'll have to wait and see.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Not happy with the changes to the story in this past ep. I know they're gonna have to change some things to condense it down, but there's a few critical things that have been changed that I don't like.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Okay, I just watched the recent episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    That's exactly what I was (and am) worried about, too. Then again, there's something at the end of episode three (that I won't mention since you haven't seen it) that I thought for sure they would leave out, that they ended up including. So I guess we'll have to wait and see.
    The screams outside of the wall? Was that what you were mentioning? Or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Not happy with the changes to the story in this past ep. I know they're gonna have to change some things to condense it down, but there's a few critical things that have been changed that I don't like.
    They are kinda butchering the crap out of the books, aren't they?

I had a hard time understanding why, after finally "finding" Ethan, Theresa and Ben seemed so calm and content to just hang around the house eating sandwiches while Ethan took off. I mean, don't things seem a bit "off" to them? They seemed so aloof about it all. (When Ethan came into the house, they were both looking in the refrigerator, and I was thinking: "What the hell are they doing surveying the groceries?)
    And, like you said, I know some things have to be changed to condense things, but...
    Hell, I'm still having a hard time with Ben being a teenager.

I hate to complain too much because there are still things I do like about the show.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The screams outside of the wall? Was that what you were mentioning? Or something else?
    The abby! Did you see it?!

I had a hard time understanding why, after finally "finding" Ethan, Theresa and Ben seemed so calm and content to just hang around the house eating sandwiches while Ethan took off. I mean, don't things seem a bit "off" to them?
    Amanda! I said the exact same thing (I think in the WP book thread)!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

First let me say that I've never read the books. Hell, I didn't even know about the books until Heather mentioned it the other day. Also, I haven't watched episode 3 yet.

What I've seen so far is pretty good. I like the vibe and atmosphere of the show. It kind of has a Twin Peaks/Lost/Twilight Zone/Under the Dome feel to it. I'm really interested to see where it goes especially since I think where it's going is actually an idea I had for a movie, so we shall see.

One thing I discovered is that I'm not a huge Matt Dillon fan. The again, I've always had a thing for Juliette Lewis, which my mom and my sister can never quite understand. Unfortunately
    Spoiler:
    , they Game of Thronesed her

I think it's a perfect summer show and I'm looking forward to an actual resolution at the end of the season.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I was so happy to see a Wayward Pines TV show thread. I'm loving the show and wanted to talk about it, but didn't dare go into the Wayward Pines trilogy book thread for fear of book (and eventual tv show) spoilers.

But then I come here and get book (and eventual tv show) spoilers anyway. So, fuck you guys.

The abby! Did you see it?!

I had a hard time understanding why, after finally "finding" Ethan, Theresa and Ben seemed so calm and content to just hang around the house eating sandwiches while Ethan took off. I mean, don't things seem a bit "off" to them?
    Amanda! I said the exact same thing (I think in the WP book thread)!
    Oh, that's right!
    Spoiler:
    When it took Pope's body? It happened so fast that I didn't really pay much attention to the actual abby.
    I think I'll rewatch that scene today and try to get a better look.
    Their screams outside the wall were pretty creepy.

And at the sandwiches thing.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    But then I come here and get book (and eventual tv show) spoilers anyway. So, fuck you guys.
    You enter a thread that has a spoiler warning, and you're surprised we're comparing the show to the source material without an additional spoiler warning?

Oh, that's right!
    Spoiler:
    When it took Pope's body? It happened so fast that I didn't really pay much attention to the actual abby.
    Yeah, it was really quick. They could always change it from the book and have it be something else, but I'd be surprised at this point.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    You enter a thread that has a spoiler warning, and you're surprised we're comparing the show to the source material without an additional spoiler warning?

Oh, that's right!
    Spoiler:
    Yeah, it was really quick. They could always change it from the book and have it be something else, but I'd be surprised at this point.
    Yeah, but here's the thing, is the spoiler warning for the show or the books?

In the Game of Thrones threads, we don't just talk spoilers about the books. When we do, we tag them. From what I understand, like The Walking Dead thread, spoilers about current episodes are fair game.

I wouldn't walk into the Game of Thrones thread and post the following sentence without a spoiler tag. It would ruin the show for people who haven't read the books.

Spoiler:
    Jon Snow dies at the end of book 5

I agree that we should spoiler tag anything pertaining to the book, I don't want it ruined for those that haven't read it yet (hint, hint Mike, what are you waiting for? ) But I put spoilers in the title so we can openly talk about the show. So if you're up to date on the show I don't think anything has been spoiled for you.

I had a hard time understanding why, after finally "finding" Ethan, Theresa and Ben seemed so calm and content to just hang around the house eating sandwiches while Ethan took off. I mean, don't things seem a bit "off" to them? They seemed so aloof about it all. (When Ethan came into the house, they were both looking in the refrigerator, and I was thinking: "What the hell are they doing surveying the groceries?)
    And, like you said, I know some things have to be changed to condense things, but...
    Hell, I'm still having a hard time with Ben being a teenager.

I hate to complain too much because there are still things I do like about the show.
    I was thinking the same thing. It didn't make sense that they end up in the town and Ethan has a house? And they're not surprised by this? And then he takes off for a bit right after they find him?

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I agree that we should spoiler tag anything pertaining to the book, I don't want it ruined for those that haven't read it yet (hint, hint Mike, what are you waiting for?
    What am I waiting for? I'm waiting to start/finish all the other stuff I have to read first.

Like the 3 most recent King books.

These are such quick reads though, you'll be done before you know it

Country
    Country Flag

Really loved last night's episode. The way they kept the suspense and intrigue all throughout was masterful. I also really appreciated that the "reveals" weren't changed from the book.

Bonus points for not shying away from showing the abbies. Honestly, having actors play them never occurred to me. If they were going to be included at all, I just assumed they'd be all CGI. (Though, so far, they're not as frightening looking as I pictured in the books.)
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

I felt the exact opposite

I really preferred the reveal in the book.
    Spoiler:
    How Ethan escapes and encounters these creatures (you don't know what they are) where as in last nights ep they spell it out before he really encounters them. And then how he gets into the mountain and you're still wondering what's going on and what this place is, where as last night they pretty much tell you everything right away as well.

And the abbies are definitely far scarier in the book. I guess it's not bad to use actors, probably better than CGI, but they didn't look all that scary or as menacing as I had envisioned in my head.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Only caught two episodes, but I'm hooked!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

So I finished the first book this morning. Great read. It also struck me that:

Spoiler:
    Didn't the "4400" have basically the same premise, just a slightly different twist? A read as advertised by those here. Quick and satisfying.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've been watching the series based on a positive review in the Washington Post. This is very rare for me, as I've only watched a handful of TV series in real time since I was a kid. (99% of the TV I watch is sports). What encouraged me to watch was that the review indicated it was a 12(?) - episode series with a scripted story arc and a defined ending. I learned my lesson from LOST that I don't want to get caught up in a "make-it-up-as-you-go" show where the ending is determined by how many seasons your advertisers can pay for, and thus you get all sorts of ridiculous filler.

I was not aware there were books.

I have enjoyed watching this show very much! I was wondering what the "mystery" was. Was it aliens? Government psychological testing? They were all dead and in Purgatory? Wormholes? Ethan is nuts? The main thing that I couldn't figure out is how the one lady says she's been there 12 years when she and Ethan were working together just 5 months previous. Some sort of reveal came in last weeks episode:

Spoiler:
    that they were actually in year 4000-something and the outside world was a ruined, devolved mess and Wayward Pines was the last remaining oasis of humanity.

But I'm not sure how much faith to put in that b/c there are still more than a couple of episodes left, and the schoolteacher seems so shady I don't trust her for a minute.

Having said all that, the show does occasionally fall into the same trap LOST fell into, where if characters would just talk to each other, a lot of problems could be avoided. Like when Ethan's wife and son showed up. Basically all he told them was "stay in the house and don't leave!" Of course, like idiots, they leave the house and all sorts of bad things happen. Instead of Ethan telling them,"I told you so!" and spelling out all the shit he had been through, he barely hints at the weirdness. No wonder his wife and son think he's merely hooked up with his floozy. He didn't tell them anything different!

I am looking forward to the remaining episodes. I won't be able to watch tonight's episdoe tonight because the college baseball game is on. (That's a true indication of my TV watching priorities!)

I highly recommend checking out the books. If you enjoy the show I'm sure you'll love the books even more. And as for your point, I feel that's where the show has fallen slightly, in the books people talk even less to one another and it's all very controlled. There is a reason which they've kinda given beginning back in the first episode.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    I won't be able to watch tonight's episdoe tonight because the college baseball game is on.
    There's no new episode until next Thursday. Don't know why they're skipping a week.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Just received book two. Away I go!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Any thoughts on the series finale? Overall, I enjoyed the series particularly that the producers did the big reveal about the abbies mid-season.

Looks like this was initially intended to be a one-shot series, but there is talk of a second season now, but I'm not sure we'd need a re-tread of the over-throw of authority that was a main storyline in this series.

One part of the storyline I didn't understand was when in a early episode, Pilcher met with Ethan's boss from the FBI to tell him that Ethan was missing his family. How could this conversation happen in the current day storyline if Ethan's release from cryo was 2000 years in the future?

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I enjoyed the series. I, too, question a few of the early scenes set in Seattle. They don't match up with what we come to learn with regard to the actual year and state of worldwide humanity. I also didn't like the sudden reversals in a couple of the characters. The main example being Nurse Pam. For 10 episodes, she's all, "you must reckon them!" and being, basically, the main baddie in town trying to keep Ethan in the dark. The all of a sudden she's "Ethan, you must stop the reckonings!" "Everyone has a right to know!" WTF?

But other than that, it was dramatic, mysterious, and interesting. Good watch. I ought to pick up the books.

Country
    Country Flag

I enjoyed the series overall. Some of the changes I liked better than the books, some I didn't. I loved how evil/despicable Pam was in the books, but I also think it was really interesting how they portrayed her in the series.

As for the finale, I was enjoying it and prepared for it to end with Kate and Pam running the town in a much better, kinder way than Pilcher did. I would've been fine to end it there. Then we get a 3-year time jump where the First Generation seemingly has taken over the town? When did this happen? Where's Theresa, Pam, and Kate? I guess we're to assume that they were overthrown, but it's such a big plot point that it feels almost cheap to tack it on and not explain further. It's almost like they wanted to have it both ways: a happy ending where the town gets a second chance, and a pessimistic, dystopian, Children of the Corn-like ending.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast