4 14.29%
  • 2: Only so-so

1 3.57%
  • 1: I didn't like it

0 0%
  • Never read

4 14.29%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bracket #9: Hearts in Atlantis (1999)

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Bracket #9: Hearts in Atlantis (1999)

Hearts in Atlantis, 1999

Please vote for Hearts in Atlantis using the following scale:

5: I loved it
    4: It was good
    3: Average
    2: Only so-so
    1: I didn't like it

If you haven't read this book yet, please vote Never Read. Feel free to discuss your votes in this thread.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Loved the first novelette, slept through the second and can hardly remember what the rest was about.

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

It was about love and war, and finding your way through insane times.

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

4. I really enjoyed it, particularly the title story. the rest were pretty good, overall...so it averages out.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by alkanto View Post
    4. I really enjoyed it, particularly the title story. the rest were pretty good, overall...so it averages out.
    Same. For some reason, the 2nd story appealed to me almost as much as the first one. Finding yourself addicted to something - not drugs, not alcohol, but something that consumes your life - is a theme that seems to me more important now more than ever. The three stories after that were ok, but the first 2 were the best, I think.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    It was about love and war, and finding your way through insane times.
    Yes, I remember this much. Couldn't help falling asleep over it, though. On the other hand, now that you mentioned war, I remember liking the third story - but only the story, not the writing. So it may be a 3+ from me; not that it changes anything.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Finding yourself addicted to something - not drugs, not alcohol, but something that consumes your life - is a theme that seems to me more important now more than ever.
    Oh yes, it's the same with bears nowadays. Don't think I would like the book on re-read more anyway.

The three stories after that were ok, but the first 2 were the best, I think.
    So there were five stories there?! Oh Lord, however hard I'm trying, I come up with only four! Don't want to either google or look for my copy - want to remember the fifth myself.

: blank :

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

A mixed bag, but overall a solid

sk

Country
    Country Flag

had to google it. The fifth I couldn't remember if my life depended on it was Why We're in Vietnam. I do remember some bits and pieces but I was sure they were parts of the other four.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

It's unique, novellas which blend together, all around one big untold tale. And I think that lack of coherence fits very well since in this case, as I just said, uncertainty is actually a major theme.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    had to google it. The fifth I couldn't remember if my life depended on it was Why We're in Vietnam. I do remember some bits and pieces but I was sure they were parts of the other four.
    According to Wiki the 5 stories are:

Low Men in Yellow Coats (Bobby, Carol and Sully as a kids)
    Hearts In Atlantis (Carol meets Pete in college)
    Blind Willie (Willie the Vietnam vet begging for money)
    Heavenly Shades of Night are Falling (Bobby comes back to his childhood home)

I gave it a 5. I don't think there was a bad story out of the 5 and I love how they were all related by one character or another. Plus I believe it's one of the best endings I've ever read. Similar to the ending of 11/22/63. The connection to the DT was good as well.

Country
    Country Flag

wait, wait! I'm already confused enough

copypaste from this wiki article

Contents
    [hide]

1 Stories
    1.1 Low Men in Yellow Coats
    1.2 Hearts in Atlantis
    1.3 Blind Willie
    1.4 Why We're in Vietnam
    1.5 Heavenly Shades of Night are Falling

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

... now that you mentioned war, I remember liking the third story - but only the story, not the writing. So it may be a 3+ from me; not that it changes anything.
    There's some truth to that. I'd hope the fourth would bump it a bit more, though. Too bad you don't recall it.

Demon of the Prim blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne's Avatar

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post

sk
    ditto

"Head Clear. Mouth shut. See Much. Say little." Roland Deschain

"Go your way, I'll take the long way 'round. Ill find my own way down, as I should." Ben Howard

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

2. I remember nothing about any of the last three stories. Liked the first two, but were bored to death by the rest.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I loved this book.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

wait, wait! I'm already confused enough

copypaste from this wiki article

Contents
    [hide]

1 Stories
    1.1 Low Men in Yellow Coats
    1.2 Hearts in Atlantis
    1.3 Blind Willie
    1.4 Why We're in Vietnam
    1.5 Heavenly Shades of Night are Falling
    Yea, that's it. I forgot the Why We're in Vietnam somehow.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by blavigne View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post

sk
    ditto
    I can live with that.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I gave it a 5. Mostly on the strength of the first 2 stories, but I really liked the others as well.

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Never read. Maybe it's just from the titles of the stories alone, but this sounds pretty boring.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    Never read. Maybe it's just from the titles of the stories alone, but this sounds pretty boring.
    Read it. Then surmise!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Read it. Then surmise!!!!
    will be too late by then...

Country
    Country Flag

Last chance to vote! The poll is closing!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. Hearts in Atlantis has earned a FAS (final average score) of 4.125000000 or 82.50%, placing 2nd (runner-up) in this bracket. It will be moving on to Round 2.

+ Reply to Thread