Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 54 of 130 FirstFirst ... 4 44 52 53 54 55 56 64 104 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 3235

Thread: Star Wars Discussion

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

At this point I still feel Vader is a stronger presence in the SW universe than Kylo Mad At My Daddy Ren.
    Oh totally Vadar is a stronger presence, just not nearly as developed of a character (in the original trilogy) the prequels really change that character development for better or worse.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I just found out about the spinoff movies. Disney just wants money and they will dilute this brand to chicken feed.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I just found out about the spinoff movies. Disney just wants money and they will dilute this brand to chicken feed.
    I actually think the spinoff movies are more intriguing than the main episodes. Rouge One for instance is being sold as a gritty war movie set in a Star Wars setting. To me that's super interesting, and nothing like they've done before. The Han Solo movie on the other hand I could probably do without. I'd also really like to see them dip into some of the other time periods, specifically the Old Republic stuff. As a Star Wars fan, give me more, tell different stories, there's so much more to tell that isn't just Skywalkers, Jedi, and Sith. Since the main movies will always be about that.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I didn't see this thread until after I had posted in the Star Wars discussion thread. I'm just gonna copy my post from in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    Finally saw the movie last night and really enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    As for Rey,
    Spoiler:
    I'm going with granddaughter of Obi-one. The notion of pitting Annakin's grandchild against the grandchild of Obi-one creates a wonderful symmetry.
    Spoiler:

I didn't even think of Obi Wan. (I kept thinking Han or Luke).
    I'm having a hard time digesting the fact that any Jedi could be her father since I'm accustomed to Jedi living a life of abstinence.

Also, Han.
    I think that I felt mostly heartbroken for Chewie when it happened.

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

I don't think rey is related to obi wan. He was in exile between eps 3 and 4 and was on Tattoine to watch Luke. No time, imo, to raise a family. Especially with Vader on the loose.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Spinoffs are hardly a novelty.
    There are dozens, hundreds of Star Wars stories in novel, comic book, video game form that advance the mythology.
    This is just the movie branch of that extended universe.

Gunslinger Apprentice mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman's Avatar

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    I just saw this today and then came home and watched The Star Wars Holiday Special. A very cool combo for the holidays!
    I remember watching that live as a kid when I was 7 or 8 on my little black and white tv.

As far as Darth Vader goes, when the original trilogy came out, nobody knew anything about Vader until really the very end of Ep 5. Part of what made him an interesting character was that nobody knew anything about him. He was a bad guy and very scary because he was so mysterious.

IMO Lucas did a horrible job in the prequals telling his story. I never bought into why Anakin was a bad guy or why he turned. Part of that was the writing, part of that was Hayden's acting. He acted like a spoiled little kid instead of somone with the potential to be the baddest bad guy in the galaxy. I still don't buy Hayden as Darth Vader.

Kylo is something different and a different story. I'm liking what I've seen so far with his character development and it's far more compelling than the vader backstory.

As far as the extended stories go. Again, as a kid, we all made up back stories about the stuff not told on the screen. We all wanted to know about Bobba Fett and Han Solo and their back story. We all made up our own histories about them. Having movies that tell those that are actually cannon are a good thing, imo. They will probably not do the business that EpVII did, but that's okay. It adds to the universe and I like that.

And T-Dogz, you really need to get over your butthurt about the movies. Being a bitter asshole about them doesn't change anything.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DanHocker View Post
    I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

At this point I still feel Vader is a stronger presence in the SW universe than Kylo Mad At My Daddy Ren.
    Oh totally Vadar is a stronger presence, just not nearly as developed of a character (in the original trilogy) the prequels really change that character development for better or worse.

IDK guys. Just saw it for the second time and I am convinced that Rey is Luke's daughter. For some reason I also have it in my head that Kylo killed Luke's Wife/GF. I really get the feeling that TFA is just the tip of the iceberg and there is juicy story to come especially with regard to the history of Snoke/Kylo/Luke/Rey. So in that way I think the jury is still out on Vader vs Ren.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    Finally saw the movie last night and really enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    As for Rey,
    Spoiler:
    I'm going with granddaughter of Obi-one. The notion of pitting Annakin's grandchild against the grandchild of Obi-one creates a wonderful symmetry.
    Spoiler:

I didn't even think of Obi Wan. (I kept thinking Han or Luke).
    I'm having a hard time digesting the fact that any Jedi could be her father since I'm accustomed to Jedi living a life of abstinence.

Also, Han.
    I think that I felt mostly heartbroken for Chewie when it happened.

Chewie was my thought as well.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    Apparently, the droid BB8 in "The Force Awakens" is a girl. Just thought you would all like to know that really important piece of news. In other equally significant updates, I'm about to have peanut butter on toast ‪#‎firstworldnews‬.
    The idea of a sexed robot is blowing my mind a little right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    Apparently, the droid BB8 in "The Force Awakens" is a girl. Just thought you would all like to know that really important piece of news. In other equally significant updates, I'm about to have peanut butter on toast ‪#‎firstworldnews‬.
    The idea of a sexed robot is blowing my mind a little right now.
    I think they went back on that. I thought I remember hearing a report after that that they had been referring to it as a he / him on set. I also think they refer to it as a he / him in the movie as well.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

There are dozens, hundreds of Star Wars stories in novel, comic book, video game form that advance the mythology.
    And they will make the movies, of which there are only 8, less unique and special. No one would have been so hyped for Episode 7 if wed had seven spinoff films since Episode 3. I already think pumping out Episode 8 in two years is a mistake. Not even Lucas rushed his films and they weren't that great.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree it's overhyped, and I predict that it'll be viewed less glowingly by the masses once the novelty wears off, but still a more than decent movie in my book. Clearly they anticipated fan desires and criticisms, and chose to play it safe, probably too much. How can anyone be surprised that this movie is so much like a retelling of the original, considering how many years of whining we just went through over the prequels being precisely too different? Key point to recall, however: this is only the beginning. The stage is set; how well this rather formulaic episode is ultimately regarded depends very much on creative continuations in the forthcoming films.

Gunslinger Apprentice mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman's Avatar

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

And they will make the movies, of which there are only 8, less unique and special. No one would have been so hyped for Episode 7 if wed had seven spinoff films since Episode 3. I already think pumping out Episode 8 in two years is a mistake. Not even Lucas rushed his films and they weren't that great.
    More butthurt.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Yep. Star Wars is pure butt hurt and killling our childhood heroes for lotsa money. We all know by the of this trilogy Leia and Luke will be dead...Chewie too.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

And they will make the movies, of which there are only 8, less unique and special.
    Lol oh so now they're special? Aren't you always shitting on them?

No one would have been so hyped for Episode 7 if wed had seven spinoff films since Episode 3.
    Why are you equating hype with quality?

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm in the Bill Waterson camp. He refused to license his characters for merchandise and film/TV because it would make the strip and the characters less special and less magical. The original three movies are special, even if Jedi was less special. The Star Wars brand has become so ubiquitous they don't need to make movies anymore, there's comics, novels, games, TV shows, not to mention the hundreds of thousands pieces of merchandise. Compared to entire Star Lexicon, the films are a mere percentage or two of the entire universe's content, yet everything is derived from that 2%, but that 2% is most cherished. If you dilute that 2% by making it less special, you might dilute it all. There a lot of people like me who has grown tired of the brand, and a lot who hadn't who did after episode 7. I personally don't care if they pull a guitar zero and oversaturate their own brand, but that's Disney's MO as Marvel tells us. They'll eventually spread themselves thin, people will become bored, and they'll lose their audience.

The anticipation of the next movie is the drug they are selling, not the film. People were drunk off anticipation after a ten year wait. The less they have to anticipate, the more likely they will the jump off the bandwagon. This same Star Wars hysteria existed for The Phantom Menace and the next two releases didn't have anything close to that level. You can argue it was the quality of the films, but Ibam certain their box office returns will shrink if they try to pump out a Star Wars brand film every year.

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

For many people that 2% is 100% of the Star Wars media they take in. Imo, the more movies the better.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

This thread is going to hell & a handbasket fast. It was a great "Nod" to us old timers, that treasure the trilogy and a "reboot" of sorts for a new generation. It was a great entry and is making crap-loads of cash. I am excited to see where they go from here. Haters gotta hate. Go watch your DVD's and give it up folks.

Star Wars is back!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    This thread is going to hell & a handbasket fast. It was a great "Nod" to us old timers, that treasure the trilogy and a "reboot" of sorts for a new generation. It was a great entry and is making crap-loads of cash. I am excited to see where they go from here. Haters gotta hate. Go watch your DVD's and give it up folks.

Star Wars is back!!!
    Damn right Bill!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Joe315 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post

Star Wars is back!!!
    Damn right Bill!

LOL Right On, Brother!!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

What it is that still makes Star Wars special, when so many other popular franchises have turned to interchangable mush is a good question. (Especially with George Lucas himself now joining the chorus.) But how can you argue that selling out will do it? Star Wars has been selling out since the beginning.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm planning on starting a separate spoiler filled thread and then merging it to this thread early next year once everyone has had a chance to see it....
    Very good thinking. Too bad we're just not smart enough to carry on parallel discussions.
    Results so far: a series of duplicate posts settling into a spoiler-tagged plot point debate on this general SW thread and an argument about the state of general canonism on that spoilers-permitted thread.
    I'm not trying to be a dick. Please take this constructively. I'd just like to talk here with fewer specifics and personal film reviews about the abstract factors in the new reboot, if anybody can understand that topic.

I liked the consistent universe of the old books, even when it counted less than the movies, and to me it is worth it if they don't count at all any more (except as "Legends") to make new books (+comics, etc.) count just as much from now on. I just have doubts lingering about HOW that's being done. Any other readers here think they might be saving what would better be dropped and just dropping what should really be saved?

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Sure, they've been selling out since the beginning, but eveRy brand has it's saturation point, and that comes.when a large portion of the audience becomes satiated and tired. It's already reached that point for some, and that mentality will eventually snowball. It will take a long time for Star Wars, and the space between films was, I believe, what kept the fanbase hungry. The brand will never die, but Disney might come close to killing it and by that I mean shrinking their profits. Enough people were disappointed by episode 7 I can almost predict Episode 8 will make less money with certainty. Between no longer having the nostalgic hysteria and a short wait between films, I can see it opening as much as 40M less than Episode 7.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Joe315 View Post
    For many people that 2% is 100% of the Star Wars media they take in. Imo, the more movies the better.
    And if you tire those people, you see major drops in box office returns. They can make more money with less movies. More movies equals more production, more marketting, more costs, more risks, and a probable trend of diminishing returns per movie. Not everyone wants to see a rogue squadron film, and they are banking more on the hardcore fans. I consider myself a big Star Wars fan and I had no interest in the latest main story movie, let alone a spinoff. The faster they bring more movies out, the less interested I'll be, and I'm certainly not alone. Disney does not care about making good movies, they care about maintaining status quo while making maximum profit: feed them until they throw up is Disney's plan of action.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 54 of 130 FirstFirst ... 4 44 52 53 54 55 56 64 104 ... LastLast