Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 38 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Sci Fi nominations + General updates throughout the tournament

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I think you will like Dark City.

You're also lucky to still have a video store near you. They're all gone here.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I've noticed video rental stores are more common in rural areas where stuff like streaming isn't as viable an option and mail rental services won't reach. The idea of renting movies isn't dead in my city. A lot of variety stores still offer DVD/Blu-Ray rentals and the local grocery store has a Video Game/DVD/Blu-Ray rental vending machines which I've noticed also in places like Wal-Mart. In the plaza near us there is still a long abandoned Blockbuster building that is totally empty, and since half the walls are mostly glass it's noticeably empty. Hard to believe that since it closed like six years ago they haven't filled that place with something. There is a Tim Horton's a few mins walk away and this location would perfectly work for the Wendy's/Tim Horton's combo-restaurants that are everywhere in Canada...it would be smart since there is litereally ZERO fast food options in the entire south part of my city, unless you want to eat pizza and subs all the time, that is.

And Dark City is absolutely amazing.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Blockbuster moving into town is what put the video store that my mom and dad owned out of business. I kind of cracked a smile when they finally went under. Especially since it was largely a vending machine that put the final nail in their coffin.

There is a Redbox (sometimes two) in every grocery store and outside of every pharmacy in my town.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Indiana has some rental stores, tho Blockbuster is gone, but this one's just a store - I simply bought the DVDs. They are getting cheaper with the new formats now competing.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

My friend's parents moved into the Ottawa Valley and he said they still have a Blockbuster there that's always independently owned.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Can I complain about the shortage of foreign films available in the local market, or will that just be interpreted as insulting other customers and confirming my "pretentious" reputation?

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

There's always Amazon. Or Netflix.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

True. Thank you for the links to Kin-Dza-Dza -- another item on my "to-do" list that I may have to put before Videodrome.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Can I complain about the shortage of foreign films available in the local market, or will that just be interpreted as insulting other customers and confirming my "pretentious" reputation?
    I find most of my foreign films on Netflix. They are just impossible to find in theaters around here.

I watched a film from Israel called Big Bad Wolves the other day.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Best foreign film I've seen recently was A Separation. Tomboy was a very solid film too. I've got The Hunt and others on my Netflix because, like Still said, good luck finding them in theatres and even in the days of rental stores we rarely caried them (or had awful dubs). We basically have to hope a director with some pull can bring it over for a release. Right now I'm currently waiting for [REC]4: Apocalipsis to drop. I love the hell out of that franchise.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

True. Thank you for the links to Kin-Dza-Dza -- another item on my "to-do" list that I may have to put before Videodrome.
    Yeah I mainly nominated Kin-Dza-Dza! to raise awareness cause it certainly had no chance even though it's an excellent film. Hopefully you and other people do get to watch it. Would love to hear some thoughts once you do.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Too bad, Guardians of the Galaxy, didn't come out early enough for this list. It's an awesome film and reminded of this generations "Star Wars"!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm still hoping this generation's Star Wars will be next year's Star Wars.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Star Wars is going to have to put out a pretty good trailer for me to care about seeing the new ones.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Just for the sake of curiosity, conformity and completeness, the new Star Wars films are a must see for most people.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    ...A script is just one facet of filmmaking and it has a huge impact but does ANYONE love Star Wars because of the script...I mean, the dialogue in A New Hope is attrocious but you look past that for everything else. ...
    I'm not sure exactly what you were really talking about here, Matt. The pithy banter with Princess Leia set trends in SF for decades afterwards. Neither was there much completely inappropriate about the stilted posturing in lines delivered by Peter Cushing and James Earl Jones, nor the wistful exposition from Sir Alec Guinness. Certainly, there's criticism to level at Star Wars writing, but I don't think that the ANH dialogue in particular is a big repressed flaw.

Does anyone love Star Wars because of the script? Um... amazon.com/Sansweet-Quotable-Star-Wars ...maybe some of the people who buy stuff like this? Not to mention the novelization...

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

...A script is just one facet of filmmaking and it has a huge impact but does ANYONE love Star Wars because of the script...I mean, the dialogue in A New Hope is attrocious but you look past that for everything else. ...
    I'm not sure exactly what you were really talking about here, Matt. The pithy banter with Princess Leia set trends in SF for decades afterwards. Neither was there much completely inappropriate about the stilted posturing in lines delivered by Peter Cushing and James Earl Jones, nor the wistful exposition from Sir Alec Guinness. Certainly, there's criticism to level at Star Wars writing, but I don't think that the ANH dialogue in particular is a big repressed flaw.
    Yes, good actors can bring life to a bad script. Which is why the lines are only as good as those who spoke them.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Just for the sake of curiosity, conformity and completeness, the new Star Wars films are a must see for most people.
    Absolutely!!! Matts, is Canadian so you need to give him a break. LOL J/K Matts!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

After paying for the last trilogy which was 85% trash, I'm in no hurry to potentially pay for the same. Disney having been the one to buy it doesn't help my interest either. They are going to have to re-earn my trust and I'm going to need a good trailer mixed with good words said about it upon release. I will not be there opening weekend, that's a certainty. I don't have any issues with Abrams but then again, I wasn't too big on his Star Trek films either. Just a lot working against it for me to get hyped. The last trilogy had the hook of 'the birth of darth vader/collapse of the republic' to keep people interested. What do these new films have as a hook besides 'new star wars'? Seeing Mark Hamm

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

There just isn't enough for me to be interested. The last trilogy wasn't very good. Abrams Star Trek movies were average. Disney doesn't have the best live action track record (at least for me, Pirates sucked and I'm indifferent about Marvel films). The last trilogy had a hook of 'birth of Vader/Collapse of Republic' to keep people (me at least) engaged. What does these new films have besides being 'new star wars films'? Mark Hamill in old age still not being able to act? The millenium falcon breaking Harrison Ford's ankle on set is a harbinger of doom for me lol

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

After paying for the last trilogy which was 85% trash, I'm in no hurry to potentially pay for the same. Disney having been the one to buy it doesn't help my interest either. They are going to have to re-earn my trust and I'm going to need a good trailer mixed with good words said about it upon release. I will not be there opening weekend, that's a certainty. I don't have any issues with Abrams but then again, I wasn't too big on his Star Trek films either. Just a lot working against it for me to get hyped. The last trilogy had the hook of 'the birth of darth vader/collapse of the republic' to keep people interested. What do these new films have as a hook besides 'new star wars'? Seeing Mark Hamm
    There just isn't enough for me to be interested. The last trilogy wasn't very good. Abrams Star Trek movies were average. Disney doesn't have the best live action track record (at least for me, Pirates sucked and I'm indifferent about Marvel films). The last trilogy had a hook of 'birth of Vader/Collapse of Republic' to keep people (me at least) engaged. What does these new films have besides being 'new star wars films'? Mark Hamill in old age still not being able to act? The millenium falcon breaking Harrison Ford's ankle on set is a harbinger of doom for me lol
    Dude, I like you and want to support you and while your opinion is as valid as the next guys, lighten up a bit. You seem to be always well, depressed or ill at ease with stuff. Grab a bag of popcorn and just have some fun at the movies. Free your mind. It is invigorating sometimes.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

"Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise."

Actually, I agree with much of what you said, Matt. But Disney SF is not all bad & I think only Episode I was 85% garbage; the average for the prequel trilogy overall is better than that. I'm apprehensive, but, again, I still have some hope.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Abrams Star Trek movies were average.
    Gotta disagree with this statement. Abrams did quite an excellent job reinventing the Star Trek mythos. I enjoyed both of them quite a bit - much better than the usual summer fare.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I didn't mean to post the same kind of thing twice...the first post shouldn't have posted at all which was why I re-wrote it after my computer froze lol

I wasn't a big fan of the Star Trek reboot. I mean, spot on casting but everything else? Just didn't do it for me. It felt more like a generic blockbuster with Star Trek characters than a Star Trek film. I actually gave the DVD (bought it before seeing it, was like 6 bucks) to someone because I didn't want it. Somehow that was the only honest trailer I hadn't seen and those lens flares...it was like CSI: Miami in space. I knew when I watched it something really annoyed me and that was probably it lol.

I have some hope for Star Wars to be good to but that hope isn't tied the hype surrounding it, hype that will only increase exponentially until release like it did for episode 1. The funny thing about Episode 1 is I remember people camping out for tickets for days (I saw them myself at a local theatre haha) when I went into the theatre at noon the day after release and not only did I get a ticket, there were only about 40 people in the theatre with me lol. My hope for Star Wars is more a vague hope that I won't get something totally adequete like the last trilogy. Adequete just doesn't get me to theatres anymore. Between my unfamiliarity with the most of the new cast members, my shaken faith in JJ Abrams as a good director and my fear it's going to be some CGI splatterfest (like I found Star Trek reboot to be and the new trilogy was), there is just nothing getting me the least bit excited. I wish I was more excited than I am lol. My hope is very, very dormant and like I said I will need a fantastic trailer and some good word of mouth after release for me to pay to see them. So when you guys see it tell me all about how good/bad it is.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 38 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast