Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 123 of 262 FirstFirst ... 23 73 113 121 122 123 124 125 133 173 223 ... LastLast
Results 3,051 to 3,075 of 6528

Thread: Stephen King Proofs

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. Info from smaller specialty press publishers is usually more accessible to collectors. Still I distrust claims like "only a small handful were done." If it is a small number why not just give the actual number? Statements like that smack of deceit, IMO.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

No real argument there.

John

Gunslinger Apprentice jonahwriter is on a distinguished road jonahwriter's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

The Mercedes proof listed as "BRAND NEW but has a crease on the lower 1/4 of the back cover and a few pages, and tiny crease" went for $255 on ebay. I expected it to go for a lot more. The other one - the brand new condition - is sitting at $320 now. Surprised the one in "almost" excellent condition went for only $255. When does value for proofs become known - long after release?

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I think the one that went for $255 was stopped early. I think the seller accepted another offer.

The true value of a proof depends a lot on market conditions--how many there were, how many people want one, etc. New proofs almost always go for a good price for the seller. It's only after a while that the availability becomes more of an educated guess. The Joyland ARC is a good example. That one seems extremely scarce and if one were offered now would go for a higher price.

One other factor is how popular the King story is. If it's one of his more popular novels, it will usually go for a higher price.

John

Gunslinger Apprentice jonahwriter is on a distinguished road jonahwriter's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

Ok that all makes sense. Thanks John. And I guess before release the factor is how badly someone wants to read it early as well as the collectible value of it, whereas after release it's more about number of copies produced, collectable value, etc. I don't collect proofs myself - I only ever buy them to read the book early so I wouldn't pay as high as some would. In the past I've bought 1 or 2 proofs to read the book early and then traded or sold them on.

Servant of Gan Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

My copy of the Mr Mercedes US Proof arrived today from a member-our own John Hanic!
    Great shape and thanks again John!

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

My pleasure for a great guy!

John

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Citizen of Gilead sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold

Country
    Country Flag

My copy of the Mr Mercedes US Proof arrived today from a member-our own John Hanic!
    Come on Mike, pay it forward! John has a stash!

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
    Come on Mike, pay it forward! John has a stash!
    Don't I wish!!

John

Servant of Gan Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm happy to have one copy!

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Congrats, Mike.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Wow, bidder e***r really wants it.

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Yep. I am so jealous of everybody already reading it! It was driving me insane. I can't afford it, but I can't wait another month either!

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Roseannebarr View Post

Yep. I am so jealous of everybody already reading it! It was driving me insane. I can't afford it, but I can't wait another month either!
    $309! Wow. Did anyone here get it?

My Mood
    Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by Roseannebarr View Post

$309! Wow. Did anyone here get it?
    Was in the running but, alas, no :/

$300 is too high for me anyway. Wonder if the value of this decreases as time gets closer to official release. There was a perfect condition one that went not too far above $200 but I couldn't bid due to no international shipping

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I'm not sure if the price will drop - my guess is that most of the people who buy proofs (either pre- or post-publication of the trade edition) do so because they are proof collectors. I can't imagine many regular fans paying hundreds of dollars so they can read the book a month before publication.

Proof prices are very volatile anyway because the market is small and the price is greatly affected not only by scarcity, but IMO also by the publisher (Scribner proofs are a lot more desirable than CD ones for example, at least to me), and other factors such as how well-loved the book is (proofs of the 'classics' are expensive). So it's hard to predict what will happen.

My Mood
    Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    I'm not sure if the price will drop - my guess is that most of the people who buy proofs (either pre- or post-publication of the trade edition) do so because they are proof collectors. I can't imagine many regular fans paying hundreds of dollars so they can read the book a month before publication.

Proof prices are very volatile anyway because the market is small and the price is greatly affected not only by scarcity, but IMO also by the publisher (Scribner proofs are a lot more desirable than CD ones for example, at least to me), and other factors such as how well-loved the book is (proofs of the 'classics' are expensive). So it's hard to predict what will happen.

I think you're right - it's probably mainly proof collectors, though I have bought proofs before to read them early. I bought "Dome" just to read it in proof then sold it again on ebay for a little less than what I paid for it. With Mr. Mercedes, it's getting to stage I'll probably just wait for release unless I get a good deal. Just over a month to go now so probably wouldn't pay a lot. I was willing to pay $200-250, but probably it's probably $100 to $150 for me now and once we hit less than a month to release, I'll just give up lol.

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree completely. I have a feeling that the Mr Mercedes proof is a little less scarce than the Scribner Doctor Sleep, though. There seem to be more coming to light before publication than ever showed up for Doctor Sleep.

John

My Mood
    Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post

I agree completely. I have a feeling that the Mr Mercedes proof is a little less scarce than the Scribner Doctor Sleep, though. There seem to be more coming to light before publication than ever showed up for Doctor Sleep.

John
    A lot of them do seem to be popping up now. I remember looking for a "Doctor Sleep" proof and not finding one at all - I don't think I looked as often as I have been for "Mr. Mercedes" but still... As for "Dome", that was relatively easy, I remember lots of them popping up. Did many pop up for "11/22/63"?

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Both the US and UK Under the Dome proofs were relatively scarce--the UK ones (200 numbered copies) were harder to find than the US one. The US 11/22/63 proof was relatively scarce to find in collectible condition--it was a thick proof that showed its wear easily. The UK proofs (there were two states, one of about 70 numbered copies and the other about 400 numbered copies) were also fairly scarce, even given that there were 400 copies of the one.

John

My Mood
    Breezy

Both the US and UK Under the Dome proofs were relatively scarce--the UK ones (200 numbered copies) were harder to find than the US one. The US 11/22/63 proof was relatively scarce to find in collectible condition--it was a thick proof that showed its wear easily. The UK proofs (there were two states, one of about 70 numbered copies and the other about 400 numbered copies) were also fairly scarce, even given that there were 400 copies of the one.

John
    Thanks for the info John. Do you remember those Under the Dome hardback "proofs" - pretty much the first edition with an ISBN sticker? were they much more common or included in that number?

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jonahwriter View Post

John
    Thanks for the info John. Do you remember those Under the Dome hardback "proofs" - pretty much the first edition with an ISBN sticker? were they much more common or included in that number?
    They seemed to be more common than the regular proof before the book was published. I haven't seen any recently. It was issued when the supplies of the "regular" blue proof were depleted. My gut feel is that there were more of the hardcover "proofs" done than the regular one.

John

+ Reply to Thread
Page 123 of 262 FirstFirst ... 23 73 113 121 122 123 124 125 133 173 223 ... LastLast