Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 173 of 441 FirstFirst ... 73 123 163 171 172 173 174 175 183 223 273 ... LastLast
Results 4,301 to 4,325 of 11013

Thread: Rate The Last Movie You Saw.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Great review, James. I'm even more excited about seeing this film. The Raid isn't for everybody, but I beg anybody who loves action to give this franchise a chance. I wish more American films were like this. Oddly enough, the director of the films isn't even Indonesian.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Even stranger - he's Welsh! I was genuinely shocked by that!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I love action. I just require something more than choregraphy and skulls being smashed and limbs being broken and jugulars being sliced to bring me in...like, a plausible story and a great lead character. The original has the dumbest plot in any movie ever...why fight from the ground floor to the roof when you can land a chopper on the roof? And what bad guy thinks he's safe at the top of a building he can't escape from? And what was being redeemed to qualify the subtitle of 'Redemption'? Clearly not action films. This just makes me realise there hasn't been a great action movie in...I can't even remember what the last one was. Probably Rambo and The Negotiator before that. I blame Jason Statham for the state of action films these days. I'm more jaded with action movies than horror movies, whose torch is being cared by the guy who refuses to be as good as he can in James Wan and whatever combinations of producers of SAW/Paranormal Activity/Insidious they slap on EVERY poster to sell the crapfest they're selling and I am sure this Occulus movie will be no different than the rest of the awful horrors in recent years.

P.S. When I scrolled up and saw James posted a review I was hoping it would be for Dom Hemingway, as I seem be one of the few out there who really, really loved The Matador...and I mean I mean LOVED and about that I am as serious as an erection problem.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Sometimes you just have to turn your brain off. The Raid is easily one of the best action films of the last decade. Barebones story and characters or not.

Also, Dom Hemingway is really good. I predict a Matthew McConaughey like run at some point for Jude Law.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I liked Dom Hemingway, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. Some pretty great dialogue, and a very different performance from Jude Law, but there were moments when it dragged a little too much for me. Still, like I said, a pretty quotable film (if not quite as quotable as I hoped it would be), especially with the added presence of the continually wonderful Richard E. Grant. 6/10, I'd say.

Last film I watched: Inferno. Finally got around to watching this one last Sunday, and after I finished, I asked myself: "dafuq did I just watch?" Not to say I didn't enjoy it, but definitely one of the strangest plots I've seen from an Argento movie, and this is coming from someone who saw Suspiria and Phenomena. Not that the story was complicated, with people stumbling across one of three powerful witches and continually dying in spectacularly gruesome ways (my favourite involved a lot of rats), but more that it didn't feel quite fleshed out enough at times, especially in terms of its characters: there's a lot of times when characters are literally entering dangerous as fuck places with very little or even no clear motivation given, and in fact, the motives of the villain of the piece didn't exactly seem to be clear either. In fact, the strangest thing about the film is that it actually makes more sense of another film altogether, in this case Suspiria, as it reveals more background on the witch in that film as well as who aids the witches.

But then again, no one watches Argento films for the plot or for rich character development - they watch them for gorgeously shot imagery and brutal death scenes, particularly when the two come together, and Inferno is no exception. Like Suspiria, it uses a lot of bright colours, including blues, reds and yellows for its lighting, maintaining some of the dreamlike, almost fairytale atmosphere of the previous film. The death scenes are as painful and strangely beautiful as ever, showing Argento to be a true master of the genre in his prime.

I didn't enjoy this movie quite as much as Deep Red or Suspiria, but it was still a great watch. 7/10

- Melike

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post

But then again, no one watches Argento films for the plot or for rich character development - they watch them for gorgeously shot imagery and brutal death scenes, particularly when the two come together
    that's exactly what I was going to say while reading the first two paragraphs of your post

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I can see where you are coming from with Dom Hemingway. I thought the first half of the film was great, but the second half was just so-so. It didn't go where I wanted it to go in the second half. I could have done without the cliche storyline about him trying to reconnect with his daughter.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post

But then again, no one watches Argento films for the plot or for rich character development - they watch them for gorgeously shot imagery and brutal death scenes, particularly when the two come together
    that's exactly what I was going to say while reading the first two paragraphs of your post
    Can't say I'm surprised. How would you rate Inferno, bears?

- Melike

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    I can see where you are coming from with Dom Hemingway. I thought the first half of the film was great, but the second half was just so-so. It didn't go where I wanted it to go in the second half. I could have done without the cliche storyline about him trying to reconnect with his daughter.
    Mike: you hit the nail on the head. The first half was pretty good, especially Dom trying to get his money and enjoying his freedom, but yeah, when it drops us back in England...despite still having some great moments (particularly the safe cracking ("FUCK YOU! AND FUCK YOUR CAT!"), which I think was another problem with me enjoying the film - we didn't get to see enough of Dom's safe cracking skills imo), it seemed to go for a very different plot from the 'crime' film I was hoping for (which was something a little similar to Lock, Stock and Snatch, in other words. First half was like that, but the second? Sadly not so much). I had a similar problem with Looper - adored the first half, but then everything seemed to slow right down with the 2nd, and didn't explore enough of its key ideas that made me so interested in watching the film in the first place.

- Melike

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

DD, have you seen Opera yet?
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Nope, not yet.

- Melike

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post

Can't say I'm surprised. How would you rate Inferno, bears?
    I liked it, but I don't differ between Argento films. They are all for me one continuous Argento.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Nope, not yet.
    What are you waiting for?

My Mood
    Yeehaw

It's always great reading your perspective on things Jean, as to you, there's usually very little (if any) stories you've enjoyed entirely because of the actual plot, but rather the mechanics of the work, for lack of a better word. Even to me, surface plot does help enjoyment of a work - for example, the reason Deep Red is my favourite Argento is (despite some weak elements in the plot, including one or two rather ridiculous coincidences,) the fact that the visuals work rather well in conjunction with the mystery part of the plot, especially the vital clue that both the main character and we see but don't realise until the director reveals it towards the end. It's why I also enjoyed your perspective on Life on Mars - unlike me, neither the time travel nor the old-school cop element had a great deal of appeal to you, but it was always great reading about other countless parts of what made the show as great as it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Nope, not yet.
    Finding it.

- Melike

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I watched Cold Fish earlier this week. I really liked the first half, but the final act and beyond seemed kinda rushed. It felt like if it was building up to some monumental finale but it ended rather abruptly. It felt tame in comparison to some of the stuff by Miike or Wook Park, maybe that's more my fault than the films though. Idk, maybe I need to watch it again.

6.5/10

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Nope, not yet.
    Finding it.
    Ah, hopefully you'll find it soon.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Not sure if this qualifies here, but I just watched the "special features" from "The Hobbit II" and they were really fascinating and informative.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

James: you're so right! bears really hardly ever enjoy a film for its plot (come to think of it, they don't even really follow plots... it's some fault built into ursine perception), but what you said definitely makes me want to re-watch Profondo Rosso.

Also,

: sarcasm :

thank you very much for reminding me of LoM!

: double sarcasm :

I just have nothing to do, nothing to watch, nothing to read, and altogether plenty of time!

doctors obviously want bears to never watch anything new, but to keep re-watching ancient dusty stuff that doesn't even have special effects to speak of!

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    I watched Cold Fish earlier this week. I really liked the first half, but the final act and beyond seemed kinda rushed. It felt like if it was building up to some monumental finale but it ended rather abruptly. It felt tame in comparison to some of the stuff by Miike or Wook Park, maybe that's more my fault than the films though. Idk, maybe I need to watch it again.

6.5/10
    Maybe you do! Now that some time has passed since I watched it, it amazes me, among other things, by the precise balance it has between the parts: the pace, the tone, the swing from depressing to hilarious to gruesome to tragic to unpalatable to comic to absurd to grotesque, all in the exactly right measures.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I've download David Gordon Greene's 'Joe' and will be watching it in a few days. Looking forward to flexing my film muscles again after putting them through the mandatory oscar season ringer.

Jean, since you're watching a lot of horrors now you should check out Beneath. Probably the best horror movie to feature the most ridiculous premise I've ever heard of. It's very smart in it's dissection of modern personality types and in the manner which today's youth define themselves in specific roles within society and their group of friends but that sometimes our friends are only there for show. It is both a clever tongue-in-cheek satire of horror films an it's own expertly crafted mark in horror.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86Nskpe4Iws

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Looking forward to flexing my film muscles again after putting them through the mandatory oscar season ringer.
    This is exactly how I've felt since Oscar season. I've probably watched two movies since then.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I've mostly watched TV shows...new season of futurama I haven't seen, Walking Dead, finished Dexter...played some video games through. My entire 2014 movie list is basically only until end of February lol. It doesn't help a few of the movies I have watched since then, like The Prestige, disappointed me. Even this horror movie tournament hasn't been able to get me to toss a film up and watch it. I usually watch a movie with my friend once a week but with baseball back on and the hockey playoffs those are sports nights for the time being and can't get myself to do it at home. I've been telling myself, 'I'm going to watch The Innocents today' for about three weeks.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Looking forward to flexing my film muscles again after putting them through the mandatory oscar season ringer.
    This is exactly how I've felt since Oscar season. I've probably watched two movies since then.
    I've mentioned it before, but I also go into what I like to call a post Oscar slump or funk. Like Matt, baseball and video games have taken up more times recently. Once more movies that I want to see start hitting theaters, I will get more into it again.

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Under the Skin blew me away!
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

Country
    Country Flag

Jean, since you're watching a lot of horrors now you should check out Beneath. Probably the best horror movie to feature the most ridiculous premise I've ever heard of. It's very smart in it's dissection of modern personality types and in the manner which today's youth define themselves in specific roles within society and their group of friends but that sometimes our friends are only there for show. It is both a clever tongue-in-cheek satire of horror films an it's own expertly crafted mark in horror.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86Nskpe4Iws
    I'll try, if I can find it; only since you say so, because neither the trailer nor the synopsis looks/sounds like anything bears could like

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lookwhoitis View Post
    Under the Skin blew me away!
    I really, really want to watch that.

I read that some of the hitchhikers in that film were actual civilians and not actors.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 173 of 441 FirstFirst ... 73 123 163 171 172 173 174 175 183 223 273 ... LastLast