Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 286 of 568 FirstFirst ... 186 236 276 284 285 286 287 288 296 336 386 ... LastLast
Results 7,126 to 7,150 of 14180

Thread: Stephen King Collecting Questions

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Ok guys... I really need your help now. I know that Rachel's Constant Reader is about 2.75lbs. I am wondering how much the 9 volumes (12 books) of the DT set would weigh? I need to know for sure as my plan has to be good before I make the order I really appreciate the help guys!
    I think you need to specify whether this is for S/L's or trade. I suspect webstar yours is the S/L? As these have double volumes in some cases the weight is higher than the trade versions.

EDIT: ignore that, I should read what people actually post. You mentioned 9 volumes(12 books) so that is obviously S/L (I'll just put my hat on and go....)
    lol, yeah they are all the S/L's
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe315 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post
    Author Hugh Howey posted this video recently where he discusses the collectability of print on demand books.
    I got a good laugh when my copy of Sand came today. In his video on the collectibility of POD books he says that most of the Sand copies he was sending out were printed on the 15th or 16th of January, so just for shits and giggles I checked the date and low and behold my copy was printed in Great Britain and has no date. [/IMG]
    That's the highly collectible British Edition. You now must buy the other editions to be a true POD collector.

Haha!

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe315 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post
    Author Hugh Howey posted this video recently where he discusses the collectability of print on demand books.
    I got a good laugh when my copy of Sand came today. In his video on the collectibility of POD books he says that most of the Sand copies he was sending out were printed on the 15th or 16th of January, so just for shits and giggles I checked the date and low and behold my copy was printed in Great Britain and has no date.
    What is the service printed by amazon?
    Its createspace. They are an Amazon company that allows self publishers to design their own books and put them up for sale on Amazon.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    Last month I purchased a set of Dark Tower books, two of which were still in shrinkwrap. I opened them and in one (LSOE), see what I found:

Limitation page separating from text block:

Also, two art pages stuck together. The white spot is a tear that will only get worse if I try to open the pages further.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian James Freeman View Post
    ...I know some presses have replaced books they published many years ago because of a manufacturing issue the original owner didn't notice/care about that another collector got stuck with. Hopefully they can help you out given the nature of the problem and the fact that you really can't just replace the book with another copy since you have a matched set.

Brian
    Unfortunately, I have to report that my efforts in contacting GrantBooks have been met with complete silence. Three professional and courteous e-mails have been unanswered. Several weeks ago I called and left a message on voice mail. Again, very polite and professional. Demanding nothing. Complaining about nothing. Just asking about possible options.

All I am really asking for is a response. If there's nothing they can do, at least have the common decency to tell me that. I can't believe a business would have such poor customer service to not even respond to an inquiry. GrantBooks should know that the SK collecting community is a major supporter if its business and should at least try to keep community members happy.

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Regluing the limitation page is easy enough for a professional. Shouldn't cost more than $25 and probably a lot less. If interested send me a PM and I'll give you contact info for a good one.
    I'd like that contact information. One of the options I'd like to discuss with GrantBooks is (if getting a repacement copy is not possible) that maybe they could send me a copy of the art print for the damaged pages. If so, I might look into getting the whole book rebound. Then I could get the replacement print bound in. Is this a viable option? I guess I'll never know if the publisher won't even talk to me.

I appeal to anyone here on these boards that has any sort of "in" with GrantBooks to encourage them to respond to my e-mail or voice mail. Thanks much,

Dave

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Oh, and for the record. This is the original e-mail I sent GrantBooks

----- Original Message -----
    To: office@grantbooks.com
    Sent: Sunday, August 25, 2013 1:57 PM
    Subject: Question about defective book

Hi, I'm hoping you can help me out. If not, no hard feelings but I'm not sure where else to turn.

I recently bought a same-numbered S/L set of 7 Dark Tower books (Waste Lands through Keyhole) from a bookseller. So obviously I'm not the first (or even second) owner. I opened the Little Sisters of Eluria and discovered two defects. First, the signed limitation page is separating from the text block. The second, and more troublesome, is that two of the art pages are stuck together and have started to tear. Me attempting to open the pages any further will only make things worse. It's like the ink perhaps wasn't dry when the book was closed after coming off the press.

Photos attached.

Do you have any blank copies remaining in the warehouse that you could renumber one for me and exchange for my defective copy? It doesn't do me any good to seek out another copy, as the main draw is having the numbers match. All 7 books are numbered 214.

I eagerly await your reply and am hoping for the best!

Thanks,
    Dave Swearingen
    703-xxx-xxxx

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Regluing the limitation page is easy enough for a professional. Shouldn't cost more than $25 and probably a lot less. If interested send me a PM and I'll give you contact info for a good one.
    I'd like that contact information. One of the options I'd like to discuss with GrantBooks is (if getting a repacement copy is not possible) that maybe they could send me a copy of the art print for the damaged pages. If so, I might look into getting the whole book rebound. Then I could get the replacement print bound in. Is this a viable option? I guess I'll never know if the publisher won't even talk to me.

I appeal to anyone here on these boards that has any sort of "in" with GrantBooks to encourage them to respond to my e-mail or voice mail. Thanks much,

Dave
    I don't think you need to go so far as to have the whole book rebound. repairing the limitation page and tipping in new artwork should be sufficient, and cheaper.

Just goes to show that if you don't remove the shrink wrap you don't know what you own.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like that contact information.
    http://www.dragonflybinderystudio.com/

I've used George Sargent for a variety of things over the years and he is top notch. Call him and ask him about fixing it. But, realistically, it looks like a simple job to reglue the limitation page and if you have someone local I'll bet they could do it just as well. I just don't have anyone close to me so I use George for most things like that. Good luck!

Country
    Country Flag

I don't think you need to go so far as to have the whole book rebound. repairing the limitation page and tipping in new artwork should be sufficient, and cheaper.

Just goes to show that if you don't remove the shrink wrap you don't know what you own.
    I'll keep that in mind if I can even get a replacement print. Not sure until I get in contact with GrantBooks. Which it appears is never gonna happen.

Country
    Country Flag

I'd like that contact information.
    http://www.dragonflybinderystudio.com/

I've used George Sargent for a variety of things over the years and he is top notch. Call him and ask him about fixing it. But, realistically, it looks like a simple job to reglue the limitation page and if you have someone local I'll bet they could do it just as well. I just don't have anyone close to me so I use George for most things like that. Good luck!
    Thanks. I actually have another book (one of my Arkhams) where the sewn binding is coming loose. I need that one fixed up as well.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I also am wondering of the exact width guys for the DT set (all of them). Mine is gone and my new one hasnt come and I needed the weight and length to see if my new book case can handle the awesomeness Hope someone could measure theirs up for a good laddy thanks!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Demon of the Prim Ben Eads is just really nice Ben Eads is just really nice Ben Eads is just really nice Ben Eads is just really nice Ben Eads is just really nice Ben Eads's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Eads View Post
    How much would a 1st edition & 1st printing SNL of Joe Hill's Heart Shaped Box from Sub Press be worth? Not the "deluxe numbered 1-200", but the non-deluxe numbered "200-500"?

I'm thinking of doing a trade, however, I want to assess the book's worth.

Thanks!
    Camelot offers a brand new copy for $350.
    Thanks, Brian! However, I wouldn't want to base something on what someone is selling it for. I'm not that familiar with Camelot books, so any insight would be deeply appreciated.

It's almost like Hill needs his own "JoeHillCollector.com" site. LOL

Again, thanks!
    WANTED:

Dust jacket for The Shining SNL.

Dust jacket for 25th Anniversary edition of IT, signed, numbered, tray-cased copy.

Signed numbered limited edition of Josh Malerman's Goblin, published by Earthling Publications.

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

I have bought from camelot before. I think they have competitive prices.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

How much would a 1st edition & 1st printing SNL of Joe Hill's Heart Shaped Box from Sub Press be worth? Not the "deluxe numbered 1-200", but the non-deluxe numbered "200-500"?

I'm thinking of doing a trade, however, I want to assess the book's worth.

Thanks!
    Camelot offers a brand new copy for $350.
    Thanks, Brian! However, I wouldn't want to base something on what someone is selling it for. I'm not that familiar with Camelot books, so any insight would be deeply appreciated.

It's almost like Hill needs his own "JoeHillCollector.com" site. LOL

Again, thanks!
    Camelot is usually very fair. (Some of their consigned stuff is a little high.) You should check them out. They are in Lake Mary so even Media Mail takes only two days.

Looking on ABE and AddALL everyone wants $350 or more. On eBay there is a PC copy for $331.

I think those are pretty good prices and they aren't getting lower anytime soon. As a buyer I would try to get it at about 10-15% less than that.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll keep that in mind if I can even get a replacement print. Not sure until I get in contact with GrantBooks. Which it appears is never gonna happen.
    In the past I have had some success contacting Robert by calling Wednesday-Friday between 10am-noon Eastern Time.

Servant of Gan Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

I've never had any problem contacting Robert using robert@grantbooks.com.

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll keep that in mind if I can even get a replacement print. Not sure until I get in contact with GrantBooks. Which it appears is never gonna happen
    You are not the first to be ignored by Grant. There was a thread started a while back for people to post their experiences with them, and unfortunately there were a few stories/examples of this sort of thing. I emailed about a query on their art portfolios some time ago and NEVER heard back.

I've decided not to buy from them directly as their service is just terrible IMO.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Amber View Post
    ok thanks yall
    I use Brodart covers for all of my collectible dustjackets. I usually don't tape them for my own use as it isn't necessary and I sometimes want to swap the DJs. The covers definitely help to protect the dustjacket. Other than an aesthetic preference, there is no reason not to use the covers.

I donated a book to Haven for auction. Since it had to be shipped to Don Maitz, remarqued, shipped on to Jerome and then to the auction winner, I taped the cover. I used an acid free tape. Not everyone will be so careful.

It is a good idea to replace the covers if they appear to need it or have tape that is suspect. Also sometimes people will put a cover over a dirty dustjacket.
    I hate to be a "Debbie Downer", but I would never, ever allow tape, archival or not, near my books. JMHO is all though.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

"Debbie Downer" (oh my aching sides.... )
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    I hate to be a "Debbie Downer", but I would never, ever allow tape, archival or not, near my books. JMHO is all though.
    LOL. It's okay Debbie. There is no good reason for most people to use it.

Many of the books I have purchased that came with "Brodart" covers were taped though. I always remove the DJ, clean it and put it in a new (untaped) cover if necessary.

Gunslinger Apprentice Amber is on a distinguished road Amber's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

a quick question kinda off topic a bit: If I get a book in shrinkwrap I should REMOVE said shrinkwrap and check the books yes? it wont devalue the books in anyway will it? Thanks-Ya'll Amber

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent's Avatar

I would -- and also don't be swayed by the fact that a book is being offered in shrinkwrap. Sometimes we see books offered that way that were never issued in shrinkwrap! It's not hard to wrap a book long after the fact.

Country
    Country Flag

a quick question kinda off topic a bit: If I get a book in shrinkwrap I should REMOVE said shrinkwrap and check the books yes? it wont devalue the books in anyway will it? Thanks-Ya'll Amber
    This is the thread to ask questions. There really is no set topic, so ask away!

The only way that you can know that the book is the correct edition and that it is undamaged is to remove the shrink wrap. The only way you can actually enjoy the book as a book is to remove the shrink wrap. To preserve and protect the book you should remove the shrink wrap since it could hold in moisture and/or continue to shrink, resulting in damage. You can then protect it with an archival bag if you desire, which will offer far better protection and access than shrink wrap.

I always remove the shrink wrap of any book I am collecting.

Country
    Country Flag

I just got Joyland in my number today wrapped and opened it to make sure the number was mine. I would ALWAYS check the book... I have heard of some bad experiences.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Goldmember Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold

Did you receive your entire set today Kris

Country
    Country Flag

Just check my post upthread, with the photos!

Another example...I received a book that had the first 13 pages missing. Sure, the signature and number were there, but not the first 13 text pages. I was able to send it back for a replacement.

IMO, you should *always* remove the shrinkwrap to see what exactly it is that you've got, and that it matches what you paid for.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lot guy View Post
    Did you receive your entire set today Kris
    I sure did... AMAZING. I am waiting to post all the pics as I have another little something coming and will post all at once
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

+ Reply to Thread
Page 286 of 568 FirstFirst ... 186 236 276 284 285 286 287 288 296 336 386 ... LastLast