Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: The books you could never finish somehow...

Traveler Dark_Tower_Junkie is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Default Many

Great Expectations by Dickens
    The Old Curiosity Shop
    The Three Musketeers
    The Fountainhead
    Frankenstein by Koontz

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

got a new book called Onyx and crake - i gave up

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Neal Stephenson's Quicksilver. I tried, I really tried and just couldn't get into it. I'm going to give it another try after I finish Nick Harkaway's The Gone Away World, and the other two books I have lined up after his.
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Gunslinger Apprentice Kronz is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Dune I can't get into, and have tried two or three times as a big SF fan; any book where you have to consult indexes and footnotes constantly is something I can't read for pleasure. Though LOTR is similarly framed and a slave to indexes in its own right, the story is always perfectly clear outside the history and terms, and the Tolkien stuff is interesting, whereas I found Herbert's approach grim and academic. Tolkien is heavy in any case and won't be for everyone. Thankfully the movies do a wonderful job conveying the feel and basic story for those who can't be bothered to read it.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Hmmmm. I've never minded when I was reading and had to refer to maps and things. I always kind of liked that additional input to a good story.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kronz View Post
    Dune I can't get into, and have tried two or three times as a big SF fan; any book where you have to consult indexes and footnotes constantly is something I can't read for pleasure.
    I never had to do that with Dune. Was it Frank Herbert's version you were reading?

One book I couldn't get into that people tell me is great was Red Mars. I dunno...I might try again.

John F. Kennedy rosered is on a distinguished road rosered's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

Madame Bovary, Flaubert.
    The golem, Gustav Meyrink.
    Ulises, James Joyce.

Even that I really enjoyed the Golem, I don't know why I've started it twice and I've never finished it.

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

...but did? Wizards and Glass. Wow, the journey that followed...
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Game of Thrones. However, I am currently doing my level best to read it!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Confused

Garrel: Funny, I don't really know how I ended that book. I meant, I just read it without feel the time... o.o

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by rosered View Post
    I wish you would give it another try. The ending is very good; actually, the whole book is.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rosered View Post
    I wish you would give it another try. The ending is very good; actually, the whole book is.
    I do like the book in fact. Maybe I haven't had the patience yet.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

John Scalzi - Zoe's Tale. I love that Old Man's War series but that book was painful.

I'm currently struggling with Harlan Ellison's Deathbird Stories. Some are really good and some I don't know what to make of. I'm 1/2 done so I'll probably finish but I'm not enjoying it.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    I'm currently struggling with Harlan Ellison's Deathbird Stories. Some are really good and some I don't know what to make of. I'm 1/2 done so I'll probably finish but I'm not enjoying it.
    It's been 20 years since I read Deathbird Stories. Unless I'm thinking of a different Ellison collection, I believe in the introduction he tells the reader that this is not a fun or light book and NOT to sit down and try to read all the stories one after another. He says something like "I'm very serious about this." It's just too much to read them all at once.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by candy View Post
    Margaret Attwood is like that. I'm a big fan, but even I found Oryx and Crake hard going. It's good if you stick with it though.

Achin' to be Seymour_Glass is on a distinguished road Seymour_Glass's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Garrell View Post
    ...but did? Wizards and Glass. Wow, the journey that followed...
    My situation exactly.

Trying to read Atlas Shrugged was pure folly. And The Shadow Rising from The Wheel of Time. i don't know why not for that one.
    Big town's got its losers, small town's got its vices...

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    It's been 20 years since I read Deathbird Stories. Unless I'm thinking of a different Ellison collection, I believe in the introduction he tells the reader that this is not a fun or light book and NOT to sit down and try to read all the stories one after another. He says something like "I'm very serious about this." It's just too much to read them all at once.
    That's sounds like the same introduction from the edition I have. It's not that it's too heavy for me, it's too 'bullshitty' for me. Some of the stories have the same or similar plots and endings and some I feel just go nowhere. I finished 80% and I'm done with it. No point forcing it, the book has brought me no enjoyment and I got nothing out of it. Nothing, darkness, duality, god, conflict.

Traveler redrose is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Don Quixote..made me read it in school, but really is a headache i dont care if is the most important one in spanish language...
    Also this one About java or jakart, .always start reading it with a good mood and after some pages realize i already read that part.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

oops... bears love Don Quixote

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

one book i still have yet to finish is 'Les Miserable" by "Victor Hugo" cause on HOW it was written, it's a VERY difficult read & that's why i had a hard time finishining it. i think i read part 1 & than i gave up on it.

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

another book that i just can't get into. & i gave the book to read to a friend's mom. well he's more so like a brother. & it was a "Clive Barker" novel "Imajica" i think is the name of it? she described the book as taking forever in getting into. & if you start halfway into it & go backwards i think she said is how to read it? or something along the lines of that.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I just loved Imajica.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Roland of Gilead 33 View Post
    one book i still have yet to finish is 'Les Miserable" by "Victor Hugo" cause on HOW it was written, it's a VERY difficult read & that's why i had a hard time finishining it. i think i read part 1 & than i gave up on it.
    I loved it to pieces but I guess the Hungarian translation might be better because it wasn't a hard read. It was a bit strange for about 20 pages but then I got used to the language and the style.

Roland would have understood.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by candy View Post
    Margaret Attwood is like that. I'm a big fan, but even I found Oryx and Crake hard going. It's good if you stick with it though.
    Oh man, I loved ORYX AND CRAKE!

I recently started a book and, despite my strong need for closure forcing me to keep reading, I finally gave up about half way through. It was BACK WHEN WE WERE GROWN-UPS by Anne Tyler. What a snoozer.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

The only book I've ever stopped reading halfway through is The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen. Good lord was that book boring.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast