Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 57 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 43 ... LastLast

Thread: King's worst novel?

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have amended my list, - a couple of months ago I reread The Tommyknockers, and found it absolutely great. On the other hand, I read Lisey's Story and found it absolutely pathetic. Here's the list as of today (contrary to my expectations, Cell didn't make it):

Thinner
    Lisey's Story
    Bag of Bones
    Hearts in Atlantis (except the Low Men in Yellow Coats part, which I like)
    The Eyes of the Dragon
    Last edited by Jean; 09-02-2009 at 09:51 AM.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

JEAN! my bear. my sweet bear. . . .

bag of bones? say it ain't so!

sorry. just had to add a little drama.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

much as the big bear would love to please the little bear, alas - Bag of Bones bores bears, if you pardon the alliteration...

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

little bears love alliteration.

Citizen of Gilead pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

I would say that the worst SK novel is The Tommyknockers! This novel is so freaking long, and nothing happens; the pacing is terrible! The only reason I finished this book was because I am so very stubborn that I can't leve a book unfinished. This is one SK book that I will never read again.

Citizen of Gilead pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

I would say that Tommyknockers was the worst. I also could not stand Hearts in Atlantis (except Low Men In Yellow coats.) Low Men in Yellow Coats was the only good part of Hearts.

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

Sorry for the double post, my computer is screwing up!
    It is running really slow and won't do anything right!

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

I think a commonality shared by most of these works is that they were written under the influence of a severe narcotic/alcohol addiction.

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

BTW, you should still be able to delete any double-posts. Just click on "edit," then choose "delete" and the comment will disappear.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I have amended my list, - a couple of months ago I reread The Tommyknockers, an found it absolutely great. On the other hand, I read Lisey's Story and found it absolutely pathetic. Here's the list as of today (contrary to my expectations, Cell didn't make it):

Thinner
    Lisey's Story
    Bag of Bones
    Hearts in Atlantis (except the Low Men in Yellow Coats part, which I like)
    The Eyes of the Dragon

I with you on Lisey's Story. It was the only King novel I just couldn't bring myself to finish and I have read ALL his stuff since the 70's.

But "Bag of Bones"? You're on your own there my friend!! lol lol

Pardon my asking but, What's up with the "Bears" dude?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gunslinger Apprentice Ste Letto is on a distinguished road Ste Letto's Avatar

I know it has many flaws, but I liked The Tommyknockers.

I liked the main characters, I found their personalities engaging and interesting, and believable.

I liked all the dumb technology stuff, with batteries etc.

Maybe I was just in the mood for a long read, who knows.

Not his worst for me by a lonnnnnnnnnnng chalk.

For me, Dreamcatcher was his worst.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MonteGss View Post
    Obviously, he has written too many to do a poll but what do you all think?

Which novel was his worst? Which one drives you crazy? Is there any that you could not finish reading? What are your reasons?

I'm not completely caught up on all of his books but I've read most of his books more than once. There are only a couple I've read only one time. That, for me, speaks volumes. They are:

Tommyknockers
    Thinner
    Insomnia
    My bottom five hit 2 of those 3. In order from generally 5th worst down to the bottom of the barrel, for me, are:

5) Dreamcatcher
    4) Insomnia
    3) The Tommyknockers
    2) The Regulators

and

wait for it...

the worst...

1) Gerald's Game

Dreamcatcher just didn't do it for me. Aliens? Shit weasels? Byrus? Army patrols? A mish-mash of half-baked ideas. And it seemed like King was trying to make another Tom Cullen out of the Duddits character and failing.

Insomnia--I posted my thoughts in the thread dedicated to its discussion.

The Tommyknockers I am conflicted about. I really like the characters of Bobbie and Gard, but hoo boy the story was no good. I've actually read it twice, mainly to visit the characters again (well, mainly b/c I was stuck at someone's house for a weekend and it was the only book on the shelf I could bring myself to read).

The Regulators was just plain terrible. In fact, I would make it my all-time worst but at least King gets points for trying (referring to his experiment with The Regulators/Desperation dual release. Interestingly enough, I loved Desperation.)

Gerald's Game was just non-engaging. Story was not interesting. Might have worked as a short story, but not as a novel. And unlike most of King's works, I didn't care about any of the characters. She could still be stuck on that bed and I wouldn't care. Epic fail.

Gunslinger Apprentice AcidBumbler is on a distinguished road AcidBumbler's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Aw no I love Insomnia and Cell
    Haha.
    I'd say Dolores Claiborne or Gerald's Game.
    Worst is abit of a harsh word, though
    Sounds like they're actually bad :p

Along the Path of the Beam GirlGoneNineteen is on a distinguished road GirlGoneNineteen's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I didn't think I was going to finish Lisey's Story... on and on and on about the shovel gleaming in the sun blah blah blah for half the book...
    then it got good
    I'm reading Dreamcatcher now and I...really don't care if I finish it. I just don't connect to the characters (except Beav) and I'm 3/4 through it. The flashing between Jonesy and Mr Gray and the warehouse and their childhood and Henry and everythingelseintheuniverse is really distracting.
    So much you did and so much more you would have done, aye, and all without a check or qualm, and so will the world end, I think, a victim of love rather than hate. For love's ever been the more destructive weapon, sure.

Gunslinger Apprentice lowdown is on a distinguished road lowdown's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

tommyknockers

i cant think of any more .......i just remember it being not so good ......but i read it 10-12 years ago...maybe illl try to reread it

Gunslinger Apprentice MPatrick is on a distinguished road MPatrick's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I really didn't like From a Buick 8. I hate not finishing a book, but that was a chore. I liked some of the ideas, but not the execution.

Gerald's Game was tough too...

Have to think about this some more.

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MPatrick View Post
    I really didn't like From a Buick 8. I hate not finishing a book, but that was a chore. I liked some of the ideas, but not the execution.

Gerald's Game was tough too...

Have to think about this some more.
    geralds game was odd

from a buic 8 was incredible for like the first half of the book then it fell flat
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

I still don't see why so many people here dislike Gerald's Game. Is it because so much of the plot unfolds through flashbacks?

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I liked Geralds Game, and Dreamcatcher, and Tommyknockers.

Regulators was my least favorite.
    Sloth Love Chunk

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthful View Post
    I still don't see why so many people here dislike Gerald's Game. Is it because so much of the plot unfolds through flashbacks?
    I've wondered the same.
    I enjoyed Gerald's Game because it was a different sort of scary book...about the demons and thoughts in your head terrifying you. I thought it was an interesting novel.

Gunslinger Apprentice Munchausen is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Haven't read them all but of what I did read, Desperation had the whackiest premise. I finished it and liked some of the characters but on reflection had to ask myself WTF?

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Munchausen View Post
    Haven't read them all but of what I did read, Desperation had the whackiest premise. I finished it and liked some of the characters but on reflection had to ask myself WTF?
    http://lampmonster.ytmnd.com/

Along the Path of the Beam TheCrisisKing is on a distinguished road TheCrisisKing's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Dolores Claiborne

Traveler birdandbear is on a distinguished road birdandbear's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

i think it is Cell. everybody around me said its a hit novel and i've read it and i think it's some kind of another version of the DT. you konw, 2 boys, 1 child, 1 girl.

Traveler lextune is on a distinguished road lextune's Avatar

Dolores Claiborne
    Bag of Bones
    Hearts in Atlantis
    Lisey's Story
    Duma Key

+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 57 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 43 ... LastLast