The other thread in which we were discussing the german Dark Tower titles, made me think about this thread :

What about odd/ creative/poetic / unusual title translations? King or not.

¤ Confusing one :
- NIGHSHIFT COLLECTION. French title : DANSE MACABRE
- DANSE MACABRE (Steve, that's confusing now!) French title, part 1 : ANATOMIE DE L'HORREUR (lit. Anatomy of the horror). Part 2 : PAGES NOIRES (lit. Black Pages. or. Dark Pages).

¤ NEEDFUL THINGS. French title : BAZAAR. aka. LE BAZAAR DE L'EPOUVANTE (lit. the bazaar of the scary things).

¤ DEAD ZONE. The very first french title was : L'ACCIDENT (lit. The Accident).

¤ THE STAND. French title : LE FLEAU. (lit. : the plague).

¤ GERALD'S GAME. French title : JESSIE.

¤ JUST AFTER SUNSET. French title : JUSTE AVANT LE CREPUSCULE (lit. : just before dawn).

¤ THE LONG WALK. French title : MARCHE OU CREVE (lit. : Walk or Die).
Comment : i actually prefer the french title.

¤ FULL DARK, NO STARS : french title. NUIT NOIRE, ETOILES MORTES (lit. : DARK NIGHT, DEAD STARS).
I believe that the french title, is a good translation as it is not easy to translate otherwise.

¤ THINNER. French title : LA PEAU SUR LES OS (lit. : a french expression for saying : Skinny. It literally translates to : THE SKIN ON THE BONES).

¤ FROM A BUICK 8. French title : ROADMASTER
Well... Why not. The translation of the title would have been a bit complicated i think.

¤ SHINING. First french title : L'ENFANT LUMIERE (lit. : The Shining Kid)

¤ THE TALISMAN. First french title : LE TALISMAN DES TERRITOIRES (lit. : the talisman of the territories)

¤ THE WIND THROUGH THE KEYHOLE. French title : LA CLE DES VENTS (lit. : the key of winds).
I find this translation quite poetic...

-----

¤ BATTLEGROUND (short story). Prior to the publication of the collection, the story was published in a french magazine, with the title : ATTAQUE A NAINS ARMES. (lit. : attack with armed midgets). I quite like this title, because it has a play on word with "attacked with bare hands", and i think that it's almost 'poetic'.

------------------------
NOT KING RELATED :

¤ Dan Simmon's CARRION COMFORT. French title : L'ECHIQUIER DU MAL (lit. : the chessboard of evil).
I personnally prefer this french title. Still need to read the book though....

¤ JK Rowling's CASUAL VANCY. French title : UNE PLACE A PRENDRE (lit. : a seat to take. or : a position to take).