Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New York is where I'd rather stay...NOT!

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Default New York is where I'd rather stay...NOT!

As you all may know I despise city life. I am downright disturbed at the though of going into Muncie, Indiana (Pop. 64,000.)

That said. My family has talked me into going to NY,NY on June 13. We are staying in Ridgefield Park, NJ.
    I want to know if I can drive (rather ...park) to various tourist sites. Am I reduced to cabs and subways?

If I do drive (thus park) where can I be reasonably assured my car will be safe?

Thus far we are going to:

The Met

Some big assed statue with a torch and a bible in her hands.

Empire State building

The U.N.

Hard Rock Cafe

Central Park

Broadway

Any suggestions of places to visit are appreciated as well.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Go to the Top of the Rock ... http://www.topoftherocknyc.com/welcome/default.aspx
    It has great views and isn't as windy as the Empire State!

And i think you will probably be best using cabs and the metro!

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Definitely. The subway's not so tough. NYC also has a good bus system.

Hope that you enjoy it!
    Further suggestions? :hm: Try Washington Square. (NYU; see Greenwich Village.) You say Broadway? Going to a show? I suggest trying to find out what will be going on: Google New York City upcoming events.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Stick to cabs and the subway you'll be better off. DO NOT TRY TO DRIVE AND PARK IN THE CITY!!!!!!!!!!!! Especially coming from a rural area.

Eat at Ray's Pizza (Google it) best slice in the city and try to get to Peter Luger's at the foot of the Brooklyn Bridge (Brooklyn side). While you're down by the Statue take a ride on the Staten Island Ferry, but don't get off. For shows go to the TKTS booth at 34th st (if I remember correctly) you can get relatively cheap tickets for same day shows.

Make sure to have a dog and a knish from any of the million + street vendors, get the "works". Have lunch at the Second Avenue Deli one day you won't regret it (best Potato salad, ever)!!!!

And be sure to visit "Little Italy" and "Chinatown" Good eats and Good Shopping!!!!

Enjoy your stay!!!!!!!!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Seriously Jon, if you like rice pudding at all, go to Rice To Riches. Google it and you will find all the information you need. It is truely the best rice pudding you will find, and they have more flavors than Baskin Robbins.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

I would use mass transit-it's what I do ninety percent of the time, but I live here.

There are buses that connect to the Port Authority from Ridgefield-scroll down the page here:

http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servl...BergenCountyTo

Or, if you prefer, you can always drive into the City, then park in the PA. From there, you can use the subway to visit any of those destinations. I wouldn't worry about your car getting stolen. Finding a parking space in Manhattan is lot worrisome, IMO.

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

DO NOT DRIVE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.

You WILL hate your life, and all of New York, after a half hour.

In NY we always walked or took cabs, cabs are terrifying but safe, you just have to trust that your driver does this 12 hours a day and knows his/her stuff. I've done the metro in other cities and never had a problem, it's also way cheaper than cabs. I'd probably try that.

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

I would hit Museum Mile and Central Park.

There's a lot of good stuff in Brooklyn that I could recommend, but if you're only here for a day or two I suppose it's not practical.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Thank you all!

I just realized that I have never been on a bus other that a school bus. My cab experience is about 4 trips from the club to home when we get too wasted.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    As you all may know I despise city life. I am downright disturbed at the though of going into Muncie, Indiana (Pop. 64,000.)

That said. My family has talked me into going to NY,NY on June 13. We are staying in Ridgefield Park, NJ.
    I want to know if I can drive (rather ...park) to various tourist sites. Am I reduced to cabs and subways?

If I do drive (thus park) where can I be reasonably assured my car will be safe?

The Met

Empire State building

The U.N.

Hard Rock Cafe

Central Park

Broadway

Jon - this will probably get merged eventually, but I thought I'd respond.

First, great call staying in RFP. Staying in the city is costly and, frankly, there's no freaking place to park, and certainly no place to park for free.

Your best bet is to buy a map of NYC and the subways - I use a laminated map called STREETWISE and you can get them at Amazon or your local Borders. There are several different ones - theater district, subway, arts, nyc and surrounding ... regardless YOU NEED ONE. Don't go without your own street map. Like I said, the one I use is laminated so it won't get ruined or fade.

Once you get to NYC - everything ( !! ) is just a subway stop away. I've been into NYC a ton of times, and we always took public transit to move around. Even if you do find parking ( should you drive into the city ) - it's still easier to move around on the subway. When we did go into the city with a vehicle, we'd park at one of the lots near the lincoln tunnel and then take the subway around to the concerts, etc.

You won't find any parking at the National Park tourist sites, regardless - since 9/11 most of the parking in NYC is locked down. You'll have to use public lots, there's very little on-street parking.

That Big-Assed Statue? Are you talking about Rockerfeller Center?

Central Park is huge, so that's kind of like saying ... I'm going to NYC.

Um, is Locke going with you? No plans to hit the Village? ( depending on how long you stay ... you'll be there during NYC Gay Pride - If you've never been to a Pride Celebration, that's the one to go to. I've been a couple of times, and it's really amazing. )

Have fun, my friend and be careful.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Traveler RolandStageDive is on a distinguished road RolandStageDive's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    Um, is Locke going with you? No plans to hit the Village? ( depending on how long you stay ... you'll be there during NYC Gay Pride - If you've never been to a Pride Celebration, that's the one to go to. I've been a couple of times, and it's really amazing. )

Have fun, my friend and be careful.

As much as I'd love to go, we're coming home two days before it. Dare I say I'm disappointed by that, but I'm gonna have a hell of a time anyway.

~Locke

And seriously? Thank you for the thought! I would have absolutely loved it.
    My first thought was
    He Lied in every word
    That hoary cripple
    With malicious eye
    Askance to watch the workings of his lie

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

The Met

Empire State building

The U.N.

Hard Rock Cafe

Central Park

Broadway

Go hang out around ocean and parkside about 3 AM.

Spoiler:
    Caveat: NEVER take advice from me.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

Wow! A great adventure ahead, Jon!
    (NYC beats the hell outta Muncie, I can tell you from experience)
    I hope your trip is safe and TONS of fun!
    My only advice is: Take OOOODLES of pictures!
    (and consider sharing some with us when you return! )
    Bon Voyage!

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Make sure that it's the new version.

http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm

As you'll notice, Staten Island is gone.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Anyone want to meet a fellow DT junkie?

I would love to meet someone with my family for a spot of Jim Beam.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

::jumps::

me! me!...

::lands heavily::

ah... in New York..........

::hangs head, walks away::

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

I would love to meet someone with my family for a spot of Jim Beam.

I'm totally up for this.

Just give me the time and the bar.

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Or the abandoned crack-house.

I'm Irish, so I'm not picky about my drinking locales.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthful View Post
    Or the abandoned crack-house.

I'm Irish, so I'm not picky about my drinking locales.

LOL

I would need a phone number. I was told by wifey that I was NOT allowed to plan anything about this vacation other than the basic route.
    I have a problem with scheduling stops on a vacation.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    ::jumps::

me! me!...

::lands heavily::

ah... in New York..........

::hangs head, walks away::
    I feel much the same way, Jean. The crap we have been through together and the years we have known one another...

To think that I can never shake your hand...

...a truth I have taken pains to ignore.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

how do you mean, never? nobody knows what the future might bring. I personally never abandon the hope of seeing you some day - Western or Eastern hemisphere.

(it's not a hand, it's a paw...)

::bearhugs:: - photobucket won't load again...

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

From another thread - figured I'd post it here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hitchhiker View Post
    Message from Jon:

I am in NYC. The hotel's computer will not allow me in any of the forums. Please post, to the gang, for me that I was bitten by a police horse and my sick wife just laughed and took pics. My sick son, Locke, laughed and took videro. The horse began by gently nibbling on my fingers then drawing my hand deeper. It wouldn't let my hand go and just kept drawing it further and further into it's mouth until the cop noticed and smacked the horse. I have a nice bruise and a few minor cuts. I am sure I will post pics and video.

I am having a kind of love/hate relationship with NYC.

Thanks

-Jon

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Jon, the modern american thing to do would be the following in order..

1. Call your lawyer.

2. Go to the ER. DO NOT go to a regular doctor. It'll look better when you sue the entire state of NY if it is an emergency. In fact if you've got time gnaw off one of your arms it can only improve your case.

3. Wait for your millions to roll on in.

Spoiler:
    Oh, hope you feel better.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I still have bruises on my hand but the cuts have healed.

A pic. She had me by the thumb at this point (I think.) It got worse.

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

i can't believe they took a photo while you were being eaten!!!

hope your hands healing well and your having a smashng time

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast