Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 48 of 192 FirstFirst ... 38 46 47 48 49 50 58 98 148 ... LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 4791

Thread: Betts Books

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Actually Bill, some publishers do exactly what you describe above.

When my copy of HE IS LEGEND arrived from Gauntlet Press, it was damaged. I sent it back and it was replaced with a book that had the same #....so obviously Gauntlet had some blank copies available. Once all customers had received their orders, I have to assume that after a few weeks, Gauntlet "numbered" the blank copies with "PC" and either sold them, or distributed them to friends and family.

I don't get the disdain for PC copies either, but I too am guilty of the same behavior.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post
    Actually Bill, some publishers do exactly what you describe above.

When my copy of HE IS LEGEND arrived from Gauntlet Press, it was damaged. I sent it back and it was replaced with the same #....so obviously Gauntlet had some blank copies available. Once all customers had received their orders, I have to assume that after a few weeks, Gauntlet "numbered" the blank copies with "PC" and either sold them, or distributed them to friends and family.

I don't get the disdain for PC copies either, but I too am guilty of the same behavior.
    Huh. I was of a mind that "PC" copies were a little more "Special" and still am, but folks have made very good points to the contrary. Thanks for the explanation. Greatly appreciated!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah...ask most collectors (myself included) and if you offer them a choice between a numbered copy and a PC copy, the overwhelming majority will pick the numbered copy? Why? Because the group opinion is that numbered is better than PC, even though the books are identical.

Same thing about low# books and high # books. Offer a collector a choice of #9 or #739 in a book limited to 750 copies, and again, overwhelmingly, #9 will be chosen? Again....why?

Ok...sorry to hijack the thread with my ramblings.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I know what you're saying Tippy. My From A Buick 8 S/L is #750 0f 750 and my Blockade Billy S/L is a PC copy and while I'm delighted to have both I'd probably swap them both for low numbers. Just the way it is.

Gunslinger Apprentice JasonUK is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Happy

I had a numbered copy of The Best of Cemetery Dance, but then I saw that Poppy Z Brite was selling her 'PC' contributor copy. I asked her to write in it that it was her copy and sign it (again). When I got the book I sold my numbered.

Obviously this is an unusual example, but I mention it just to show that in some cases a 'PC' copy can be more collectible, at least as far as I'm concerned.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I have an unsigned Publisher's Copy of the SKELETON CREW S/L in my collection, which was once owned by Anne Rice (or so I was told). It would have been pretty cool if she had provided a letter of provenance (but I don't think I would want her signature in it!).

*edit: I'm not sure if I'd even want Mr. King to sign it!

Citizen of Gilead olverts will become famous soon enough olverts will become famous soon enough olverts's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    I have an unsigned Publisher's Copy of the SKELETON CREW S/L in my collection, which was once owned by Anne Rice (or so I was told). It would have been pretty cool if she had provided a letter of provenance (but I don't think I would want her signature in it!).

*edit: I'm not sure if I'd even want Mr. King to sign it!
    Yes it was Anne Rice´s copy .
    Here´s the pictures that was sent to me by the seller .
    You can see the stickers that i later removed .
    One sticker saying the book belongs to Anne Rice and the other some sort of catalog number for her library .

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Hey, thanks! Good to know!

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Huh. I was of a mind that "PC" copies were a little more "Special" and still am, but folks have made very good points to the contrary.
    I like the PC copies because I think of them as more unique and, in some cases, harder to find than numbered/lettered. My Stand s/l is a PC and its the only one Ive ever seen. However, the FDNS S/L PC seems to be much more common - Ive seen at lest 3 of them. Same with Book of the Dead s/l PC. When too many are floating around it becomes less desirable imo. The point of a numbered / lettered is that there is only one of that particular number or letter.
    reality continues to ruin my life

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I guess I'm kind of surprised that Anne Rice would put stickers on her books.

Country
    Country Flag

Why? Not every writer is a collector - as you can see in the pics, the dust jacket (and slipcase) aren't in great shape either (I bought it because I like the idea that there are supposedly only 25 copies of it, but if I ever buy the signed/numbered version it would have to be in better condition). I'm sure that most writers care more about the stories than they do about the books containing them.

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I know. But it still kind of surprises me.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Well - she obviously IS a collector if she has a catalogue number and personalized library stickers...so I'm surprised it's not in better shape. On the other hand, maybe this was her placeholder copy that she replaced with a mint edition!

Country
    Country Flag

I see your point and I agree to a certain extent - she obviously owns or owned a large number of books... but so did I before I started 'collecting' rather than 'gathering' (or hoarding, if you prefer). So I think there's a difference. But we'll probably never get a chance to ask Anne!

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Default agreed

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedNadine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Huh. I was of a mind that "PC" copies were a little more "Special" and still am, but folks have made very good points to the contrary.
    I like the PC copies because I think of them as more unique and, in some cases, harder to find than numbered/lettered. My Stand s/l is a PC and its the only one Ive ever seen. However, the FDNS S/L PC seems to be much more common - Ive seen at lest 3 of them. Same with Book of the Dead s/l PC. When too many are floating around it becomes less desirable imo. The point of a numbered / lettered is that there is only one of that particular number or letter.

I tend to agree, especially on books like six stories where the p.c. copies are the most rare at only 10 made and only given to friends of his.

Country
    Country Flag

The PC versus numbered/lettered discussion revolves around subtleties if you ask me. Some collectors say: there are less Publisher's Copies than there are numbered copies, therefore they are scarcer/more desirable. Others say: there's only one copy with a specific number while there are multiple copies designated PC, therefore the numbered copies are more desirable. And then there are books like the unsigned SKELETON CREW and unsigned DANSE MACABRE, also designated PC, that are desirable in their own right, but not comparable to signed/numbered or signed/PC books.

The joys of collecting!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

The PC versus numbered/lettered discussion revolves around subtleties if you ask me. Some collectors say: there are less Publisher's Copies than there are numbered copies, therefore they are scarcer/more desirable. Others say: there's only one copy with a specific number while there are multiple copies designated PC, therefore the numbered copies are more desirable. And then there are books like the unsigned SKELETON CREW and unsigned DANSE MACABRE, also designated PC, that are desirable in their own right, but not comparable to signed/numbered or signed/PC books.

The joys of collecting!
    True that!! I like them cause it makes me feel like an "Insider" so to speak. They are like forbidden fruit, I guess. To each his own, right? LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

I have the same with proofs (I know we're going off-topic, but...)

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I have the same with proofs (I know we're going off-topic, but...)
    Sure, I can see that, but the PC's are a little more select. It's the same idea though. Cool!!!

Back on topic, That Betts Books, some awesome S. King store am I right? LOL LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

Absolutely. I hope David gets a new supply of magazines one of these days... I still need about 40 of them with short story and poetry first publications.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Absolutely. I hope David gets a new supply of magazines one of these days... I still need about 40 of them with short story and poetry first publications.
    Any on this list?

McSweeny's Quarterly Issue #33
    Screem #23
    Screem #22
    Cemetery Dance #66
    Heroes of Hope X-Men
    Autograph (January 2008)
    Fear (October 1989)
    Atlantic, The (May 2011)
    Familly Circle (August 3, 1999)
    Weird Tales (Summer 1991)
    Omni (October 1986)
    Twilight Zone (February 1986)
    Midnight Graffitti ( Spring 1989)
    Heavy Metal (July 1981)
    Midnight Graffitti ( June 1988)
    Cemetery Dance (Winter 1995)
    Midnight Graffitti (Fall-1992)
    Cemetery Dance (Fall 1992)
    Esquire (Dec. -2003)
    Esquire (July-2003)
    Esquire (Aug. 2012)
    Esquire (July-2007)
    Esquire (July 2012)
    Playboy (Dec. -07)
    Playboy (Nov-2009)
    Playboy (Dec 2006)
    Stephen King (Comic)
    McSweeny's Issue #10. Mammoth Treasury of Thrilling Tales
    McSweeny's #12
    McSweeney's #27
    McSweeney's #13
    Paris Review (Fall 2007)
    Rosebud #27 2003
    Omni (July, 1980)
    Omni (August, 1980)
    Cinefantastique (February, 1991)-Misery
    Stephen King and Clive Barker: Macabre II
    World Fantasy Convention 1983
    Firsts (October, 2011)
    Firsts (November, 2011)

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

The joys of collecting!
    So what would the value of an unsigned PC be vs.the value of a signed limited edition?

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    They are out-of-series leftovers or you could call them "Publishers Copies". All publishers have them, in case of damage etc. I do not collect these types of books, so its of no interest to me.

As far as market value? I would think if it was worth $5000 it would have been bought immediately.
    just my thoughts...
    just because something isn't bought immediately... doesn't mean it is priced to high... it just means the right buyers haven't walked into the store yet.

Not everything sales off the shelves at Tiffany's as soon as the items are placed on the shelves... they are waiting for the person(s) that wants the items, that also currently has the money to purchase them.

Frankly, if I were David... if everything I added to the website sold quickly... I would start questioning whether I had my prices set to low. If the Salem's Lot is still there many months from now... then I would start to agree more with you... It's according to how long one wants to sit on the inventory.... since David's day to day overhead is probably fairly low... He can sit on it as long as he chooses.... unlike Walmart...which has a much higher overhead.

also... note... I sold my Lettered skeleton crew... (the buyer is anonymous) and I got a bit more than the 2800.00 that some people here believed that it was worth... I won't say exactly how much or to whom... but I'm satisfied with the sale price.

IMHO... at 5000.00, The "Lettered" Salem's Lot - PC or not... is priced to low... and had I not recently lost my job... even though I just sold my own lettered edition, I'd probably consider buying it.

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Alan G View Post
    I know what you're saying Tippy. My From A Buick 8 S/L is #750 0f 750 and my Blockade Billy S/L is a PC copy and while I'm delighted to have both I'd probably swap them both for low numbers. Just the way it is.
    I think that's the one situation where the higher number has a little bit of a novelty factor that would make it worth keeping.
    Your Buick 8 is "last" copy in the edition. We all know they aren't numbered in the order they are produced, but it's the perception that the number creates.
    Mark Twain

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post

The joys of collecting!
    So what would the value of an unsigned PC be vs.the value of a signed limited edition?
    The unsigned book is unquestionably worth less than the S/L. I would say 50% less (or more, depending on condition). But it does have some intrinsic value.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 48 of 192 FirstFirst ... 38 46 47 48 49 50 58 98 148 ... LastLast