Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 48 of 57 FirstFirst ... 38 46 47 48 49 50 ... LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 1401

Thread: King's worst novel?

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Insomnia was mindblowing. One of my all-time favorites. I don't understand. I keep watching to re-read it.

With King, there's no such thing as "worst".

Demon of the Prim blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne's Avatar

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

Pablo, I also love Insomnia

and Dreamcatchers, OK I will admit the whole crap weasel thing was bleh, but the understory here got me, and Duddits who was awesome.

"Head Clear. Mouth shut. See Much. Say little." Roland Deschain

"Go your way, I'll take the long way 'round. Ill find my own way down, as I should." Ben Howard

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

the last part, with the fuss and total loss of all logic, was awful. The rest was awesome.

(was meant that about Dreamcatcher, but might as well refer to Insomnia. Or Talisman, for that matter.)

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Well, on top of what I said here, ("incoherent and unbelievable") I just think (that Dreamcatcher is) too complicated and too self derivative.
    I remember you said this. I also tend to agree, - but I do not consider any of these to be drawbacks (rather, just characteristic features); that's why I so hope we can talk more about it some day.
    You're kind of funny, you know? There was a time when I tried to focus on the positive, I love a lot of SK's writing so much; I just didn't get in on these forums to what is less to my taste. Then one day I happened to mention that I don't think Lisey's Story is his worst, as you seem to think, and you asked what was. So since then, I have shared some criticisms as well... and you've been saying that the faults I point at could be regarded as strengths if looked at differently. That's probably true, but I guess that, when it comes to literature, everybody's opinions are alike in that way. Can you explain the drawbacks your least favorites have that are not found in mine?

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well, on top of what I said here, ("incoherent and unbelievable") I just think (that Dreamcatcher is) too complicated and too self derivative.
    I remember you said this. I also tend to agree, - but I do not consider any of these to be drawbacks (rather, just characteristic features); that's why I so hope we can talk more about it some day.
    You're kind of funny, you know?
    of course I do know, LOL! that's why you love me, right?

There was a time when I tried to focus on the positive, I love a lot of SK's writing so much; I just didn't get in on these forums to what is less to my taste. Then one day I happened to mention that I don't think Lisey's Story is his worst, as you seem to think, and you asked what was. So since then, I have shared some criticisms as well... and you've been saying that the faults I point at could be regarded as strengths if looked at differently. That's probably true, but I guess that, when it comes to literature, everybody's opinions are alike in that way. Can you explain the drawbacks your least favorites have that are not found in mine?
    Welllllllll

What I do not like:

1. Cliched, trivial, commonplace. Examples: 11/22/63; W&G.
    2. When the author seems to think that if he is extremely detailed where details do not serve any purpose (it was a big rectangular table with four legs and a flat desktop made of ash with a small crack in the upper left-hand corner) AND at the same time utterly repetitive (he moved his chair closer to the big rectangular table with four legs and a flat desktop made of ash with a small crack in the upper left-hand corner and put the white porcelain coffee cup with a golden rim on the big rectangular table with four legs and a flat desktop made of ash with a small crack in the upper left-hand corner) - that if he is all that, he will graduate to a Real Writer from a "mere" bestselling horror author. Every time I have a feeling that he actually thinks so I cringe inside, and want someone to explain to him that a Real Writer is someone who can make that "hole in the page" described in Misery.
    Examples: Lisey's Story, Bag of Bones.
    3. Using same old copouts, characters and patterns again and again. Examples: Full Dark No Stars, 11/22/63
    4. Boring. This, alas, can't be put into other words, and why something is boring for me and isn't for you is a matter of further research (don't think it would lead anywhere, though, alas). Examples: all of the above; Green Mile; Hearts in Atlantis except Part 1.

I think I have more to say; I hope I'll be able to say it when I review 11/22/63 which epitomizes most, if not all, of the above.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

No. But that doesn't hurt.

Thanks for the details. Looking forward to what else you may have to say.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

There was a time when I tried to focus on the positive, I love a lot of SK's writing so much; I just didn't get in on these forums to what is less to my taste. Then one day I happened to mention that I don't think Lisey's Story is his worst, as you seem to think, and you asked what was. So since then, I have shared some criticisms as well... and you've been saying that the faults I point at could be regarded as strengths if looked at differently. That's probably true, but I guess that, when it comes to literature, everybody's opinions are alike in that way. Can you explain the drawbacks your least favorites have that are not found in mine?
    Welllllllll

What I do not like:

1. Cliched, trivial, commonplace. Examples: 11/22/63; W&G.
    2. When the author seems to think that if he is extremely detailed where details do not serve any purpose (it was a big rectangular table with four legs and a flat desktop made of ash with a small crack in the upper left-hand corner) AND at the same time utterly repetitive (he moved his chair closer to the big rectangular table with four legs and a flat desktop made of ash with a small crack in the upper left-hand corner and put the white porcelain coffee cup with a golden rim on the big rectangular table with four legs and a flat desktop made of ash with a small crack in the upper left-hand corner) - that if he is all that, he will graduate to a Real Writer from a "mere" bestselling horror author. Every time I have a feeling that he actually thinks so I cringe inside, and want someone to explain to him that a Real Writer is someone who can make that "hole in the page" described in Misery.
    Examples: Lisey's Story, Bag of Bones.
    3. Using same old copouts, characters and patterns again and again. Examples: Full Dark No Stars, 11/22/63
    4. Boring. This, alas, can't be put into other words, and why something is boring for me and isn't for you is a matter of further research (don't think it would lead anywhere, though, alas). Examples: all of the above; Green Mile; Hearts in Atlantis except Part 1.

I think I have more to say; I hope I'll be able to say it when I review 11/22/63 which epitomizes most, if not all, of the above.
    For some reason, I can't really say I'm surprised that the novel everyone seems to love atm is the one you actually seem to hate! Now I just feel guilty that I got 11/22/63 as a xmas present...
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Country
    Country Flag

LOL! I am not surprised you are not surprised, DD!

No, I didn't hate it. There are some parts I actually liked, and I admire the plot, and I loved one character and a few pages (not consecutive).

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Jean, you coulda just said that you have an aversion to bad gunky.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm sure I will catch alot of heat for this but I think Under the Dome and Dreamcatcher are neck and neck for my least favorite King book. That being said I still enjoyed both of these books much more then other authors I've read.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Under the Dome is one of my recent favorites, and there are roughly half of King's works that I would rank below Dreamcatcher.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I have read Thinner to the halfway point five times. I just cannot get into it. It gets my vote as King's worst.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Gunslinger Apprentice mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman's Avatar

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

I didn't like bag o bones the first time through. But I just gave it another listened and I was surprised at how good it was. I have no idea why I didn't like it the first time. So I've changed my mind on that one.

However, I gotta say that Under the Dome I did not like. Could have been because of the surfer dude narrator. The ending pretty much sucked. And I'm definitely not a fan of Tommyknockers.

Gunslinger Apprentice beam*seeker will become famous soon enough beam*seeker's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP View Post
    Dreamcatcher. Damn shit weasels. Orange goop. Bleh.
    Oddly enough, I loved Dream catcher. I even didn't mind the crappy movie they made out of it. Morgan Freedman was AWESOME. You gotta love the shit weasels. No Bounce, No Play.
    People are always talking about truth.Everybody knows what the truth is,like it was toilet paper or somethin...All there is is bull*...One layer of bullshit on top of another...what you do in life...pick the layer of bull* that you prefer...

Traveler CamiDeschain is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I've never read any of the books I hear are bad... (like the ones mentioned here) =P Guess im not such a great King fan till I do. hehehe

ps. Under the Dome kicks ass! Love it!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CamiDeschain View Post
    ps. Under the Dome kicks ass! Love it!

Banned Joka42 will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

the girl who loved tom gordon. Seems a children's novel.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Joka42 View Post
    Gotta agree with this choice!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Lisey's Story...still.
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Joka42 View Post
    That would be my choice as well. Not because it reads like a novel for children (I loved The Eyes of the Dragon), but simply because I couldn't get into it. It left me completely cold.

sk

Country
    Country Flag

: sad bear :

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon = actually pretty good. Classic King. All psychological.

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

Rose Madder
    reality continues to ruin my life

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Depends.

The final Dark Tower novel really left a bad taste in my mouth that still lingers almost a decade later and despite the fact that King has written some of my all-time favorite novels (heck, all-time favorite novel period: It) really affected my feelings towards him as a writer. But I have reread it and there are sections that I like.

On the other hand, there are some novels which I just have never reread and have no interest to reread; Gerald's Game, Dolores Clairborne, The Tommyknockers, The Colorado Kid, etc.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    Depends.

The final Dark Tower novel really left a bad taste in my mouth that still lingers almost a decade later and despite the fact that King has written some of my all-time favorite novels really affected my feelings towards him as a writer. But I have reread it and there are sections that I like.

On the other hand, there are some novels which I just have never reread and have no interest to reread; Gerald's Game, Dolores Clairborne, The Tommyknockers, The Colorado Kid, etc.
    i agree with your list but would add liseys story.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 48 of 57 FirstFirst ... 38 46 47 48 49 50 ... LastLast