Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 357 of 972 FirstFirst ... 257 307 347 355 356 357 358 359 367 407 457 857 ... LastLast
Results 8,901 to 8,925 of 24294

Thread: Random Comments/Stream of Consciousness Thread

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tito_Villa View Post
    Heard news that Richard Matheson has died, another master gone, very sad

John

Servant of Gan Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Oh, I hope it's THE GUNSLINGER S/L because I live vicariously through my friends.
    Sorry to disappoint you, but the book wasn't written by SK. I placed my order with Grant today, and it should arrive in a couple of days. It's actually two books that are fairly rare, and I've never seen them before. They're not everyone's cup of tea, but I'm excited.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dolso View Post
    The way we're going I don't know of too many lawsuits that would surprise me (disgust me maybe but not surprise). After all if you can sue a ladder company because you fell off the ladder (no warning about falling), sue a weed-eater company for injuries because there was no warning about trimming tree branches with it upside down, or sue a window screen company because they didn't warn you that the screen would not prevent your kid from falling out -- then ANYTHING seems to go! I think that is why doctors order so many tests - just to cover their ass! And I can't blame them......
    Anyone can sue anyone else for pretty much anything but actually a) getting it heard by a judge who doesn't throw it out and b) getting any sort of reparations from it is another story completely.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

Heard this story a few years back - it was told to me by a friend of the plaintiff so I think it has more fact than fiction but...

Overweight woman goes to a yard sale, trips on the front porch step and breaks her ankle. Its broken in such a way as to need surgery (pins or something). Even before the surgery she initiated a lawsuit against the homeowner who had the yard sale. The ankle heals poorly and she ends up with a limp so sues the hospital (doctors surgeons whoever). This clumsy overweight woman ends up winning a million from the homeowner (the settlement amount from the insurance company apparently) and another 1.5 million from the hospital. Unbelievable.
    reality continues to ruin my life

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have purposely kept my mouth shut regarding the medical system, lawyers, and our inherent american right to sue. But still enjoying the banter.

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

Quote Originally Posted by cit74 View Post
    I have purposely kept my mouth shut regarding the medical system, lawyers, and our inherent american right to sue. But still enjoying the banter.
    I would be interested in hearing your views. I would imagine you have a story or two to tell?

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

See now you are dragging me into this. In regards to suing anyone here in the US, especially medical lawsuits - I won't get into that one - I think we as a culture are lawsuit crazy - and many people are looking for an easy way to make a large sum of money - instead of realistically looking at the situation - and taking their own personal responsibility. Lawyers may also take advantage of people (not all, some) and continue with frivolous lawsuits. Like the old lady who spilled hot coffee on her at McDonalds and sued them - I mean half this shit is ridiculous.

As to the medical side - I can only speak for myself - sometimes we have no idea what is going on, and we try to do everything within our means to come up with an answer - to provide better solutions, rather than just go and perform a procedure. There is still a lot of mystery in medicine - we do not know everything. I always take the perspective (in dealing with kids) is what would I do if that were my child - I am not going to do anything differently than that - no matter what the background of the patient. There are times that we make mistakes (i have not met that perfect person yet) but it is important for us to be upfront about that and face whatever consequences come about. And it is tough - in the back of your mind (especially when dealing with a difficult situation) - you can fear the possibility of a lawsuit - but there needs to be good checks/balances in place to sort through the mess.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Like the old lady who spilled hot coffee on her at McDonalds and sued them - I mean half this shit is ridiculous.
    That's one of the most famous ones that gets brought up in these conversations.

I read about the details of it once and it's not really as ridiculous as people make it out to be. The woman ended up with 3rd degree burns and had to undero skin grafting. Also because of that lawsuit, McDonald's reduced the temp of their coffee because they determined that it really was way too hot.

I'm not entirely sure but I think it may have also lead to the decision of having the employees add the cream and sugar before they give the cup to the customer.

The final monetary settlement has never been reported.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Country
    Country Flag

It was the only one off the top of my head - but still does not change the fact of many other cases out there. So did the McD customers start complaining that their coffee was too cold???

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't want this too go too far but essentially the plaintiffs argued that Mc'Donalds knew (or should have known) that serving To-Go patrons, and even "here" coffee at 180 degrees+ could have and did result in a patron spilling some or all of the contents and thus being SEVERELY burned.
    I hate lawyers, but I understand the need for them.

Citizen of Gilead harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

There is a Goldilocks Zone for coffee temperature.

Los̶ ver 4 Life -- @shakyandspiky on Instagram -- PMs welcome

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I don't want this too go too far but essentially the plaintiffs argued that Mc'Donalds knew (or should have known) that serving To-Go patrons, and even "here" coffee at 180 degrees+ could have and did result in a patron spilling some or all of the contents and thus being SEVERELY burned.
    I hate lawyers, but I understand the need for them.
    Definition of a "Tragedy": When a bus full of Lawyers goes over a cliff and there is an empty seat!!!

You know the difference between a Lawyer and a Catfish?

Spoiler:
    One is a bottom dwelling, scum-sucking animal and the other is a fish!! (Rimshot/cymbal) LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

It is interesting how many facets of our life are impacted by the litigious nature of our country. Almost gone are the handshake deals and companies just doing the right thing. It seems like step one in any business move these days is to consult the lawyers.

My Mood
    Twisted

Well said and I like your perspective on how you deal with your patients

See now you are dragging me into this. In regards to suing anyone here in the US, especially medical lawsuits - I won't get into that one - I think we as a culture are lawsuit crazy - and many people are looking for an easy way to make a large sum of money - instead of realistically looking at the situation - and taking their own personal responsibility. Lawyers may also take advantage of people (not all, some) and continue with frivolous lawsuits. Like the old lady who spilled hot coffee on her at McDonalds and sued them - I mean half this shit is ridiculous.

As to the medical side - I can only speak for myself - sometimes we have no idea what is going on, and we try to do everything within our means to come up with an answer - to provide better solutions, rather than just go and perform a procedure. There is still a lot of mystery in medicine - we do not know everything. I always take the perspective (in dealing with kids) is what would I do if that were my child - I am not going to do anything differently than that - no matter what the background of the patient. There are times that we make mistakes (i have not met that perfect person yet) but it is important for us to be upfront about that and face whatever consequences come about. And it is tough - in the back of your mind (especially when dealing with a difficult situation) - you can fear the possibility of a lawsuit - but there needs to be good checks/balances in place to sort through the mess.

It was the only one off the top of my head - but still does not change the fact of many other cases out there. So did the McD customers start complaining that their coffee was too cold???
    My only point is that a lot of the time the stories get repeated and the details tend to get lost so that they sound worse than they actually were. In fact, some of them are completely made up urban legends.

http://www.cracked.com/article_19150...otal-b.s..html

http://www.cracked.com/article_20477...ly-happen.html

My Mood
    Twisted

Results of my sisters second biopsy are negative for malignancy and negative for carcinoma. Conservative Hallelujahs as they have not yet ruled out Lymphoma (sent to a special lab for testing - probably wont hear back until Tues) and they are still unsure what it is. Hopefully by mid next week we'll get the final confirmation it is just a benign growth and can be safely removed. Thanks again for all the positiveness and prayers. Keep it coming, she's almost out of the woods...

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedNadine View Post
    Results of my sisters second biopsy are negative for malignancy and negative for carcinoma. Conservative Hallelujahs as they have not yet ruled out Lymphoma (sent to a special lab for testing - probably wont hear back until Tues) and they are still unsure what it is. Hopefully by mid next week we'll get the final confirmation it is just a benign growth and can be safely removed. Thanks again for all the positiveness and prayers. Keep it coming, she's almost out of the woods...
    very good news

Rabid Billybumbler fearless-freak will become famous soon enough fearless-freak will become famous soon enough fearless-freak's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

been a while since i've listened to some Die Toten Hosen

Demon of the Prim ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Awesome news TN, good vibes still headed your way.
    How's your friend doing over seas?
    Christine

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Wonderful news, TN. You and yours are always in my prayers.

John

My Mood
    Twisted

Thanks for asking Christine. She sent an email the other day and sounds like she's acclimating to the country and the treatment schedule (she soaks on and off all day in oxygenated water along with the strict food and liquid diet and whatever else the treatment consists of). She said most of the other patients are Americans "So we're surrounded by familiarity. However, it's depressing because these people are here as a last resort--and I just don';t want to be around that energy 24/7." (quoted from her email). Overall it sounds like she's remaining hopeful and optimistic but the real test will be in a month or so when she has a another PET scan to see if the mass has reduced in size. Personally Im not sure what to think about this alternative treatment. After all the research she did this is the one she chose because of the results but Ill admit here (not to her of course) Im a little skeptical though trying to remain positive.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Glad your sister's results have been good news so far, TN! Good luck to your friend with the alternative treatment plan. I'm skeptical, too, but you never know - It doesn't have to work for everyone, just for her.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

My Mood
    Twisted

Thanks Patrick - very true statement, encouraging.

My Mood
    Twisted

Stephen King interview on CBS in a few minutes....

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Stephen King interview on CBS in a few minutes....
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-3445_162...sion-to-write/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 357 of 972 FirstFirst ... 257 307 347 355 356 357 358 359 367 407 457 857 ... LastLast