Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 346 of 972 FirstFirst ... 246 296 336 344 345 346 347 348 356 396 446 846 ... LastLast
Results 8,626 to 8,650 of 24292

Thread: Random Comments/Stream of Consciousness Thread

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

I'm guessing I might be in the minority on this site but probably 90% of my books are used copies I picked up at garage sales or resale shops. I don't know what the difference in the different editions are and I'm not even 100% sure I know what "S/L" even means. I'm just happy to have A copy of each book.

Nothing against the collectors that do but I can't imagine spending 100's of dollars on a book. But that's just me...
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    I'm guessing I might be in the minority on this site but probably 90% of my books are used copies I picked up at garage sales or resale shops. I don't know what the difference in the different editions are and I'm not even 100% sure I know what "S/L" even means. I'm just happy to have A copy of each book.

Nothing against the collectors that do but I can't imagine spending 100's of dollars on a book. But that's just me...
    Your collection is what you want it to be. If you're happy with what you have, that's great!

John

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ChristineB View Post
    WARNING!! RANT IN SPOILER!!! If you love CD and think they hung the moon DO NOT OPEN!!!

SPOILER
    I won't comment on the prices, but I do believe that the whole adding-a-remarque-to-every-single-book is getting a little stale.

EDIT: Not bashing CD, just talking about with publishers in general.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post

Your collection is what you want it to be. If you're happy with what you have, that's great!

John

I just won't mention some of the other random stuff I've collected over the years and spent 100's of dollars doing so.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Arghh, played football, I'm so unfit, I ache already, going to be hell tomorrow!

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

I was just wondering if these threads where we are supposed to "Get to know tdt.org staff members" appear in other sections besides Calvin's Corner? Or are we the only ones who are subjected to them? I'm sure I will come across sounding like the bad guy (again!) but WTF is up with these? I suppose if they are posted in other areas of thedarktower.org that is one thing. But if they are only appearing in Calvin's Corner I need to ask "Why?"
    Currently we are "getting to know" people who (to my knowledge) have never posted in Calvin's Corner and being asked questions mainly by other people who (to my knowledge) don't post in Calvin's Corner.
    Yeah, I know, I don't have to open and read the threads.....and I have pretty much stopped reading these. But I have gotten in the habit of reading every post in every thread in Calvin's Corner over the years and it is a hard habit to break.
    And still I ask: Why am I interested in knowing if someone I don't know has or hasn't had a homosexual experience (or other inane questions asked by someone else who never posts here).
    Feel free to flame away but I am still asking myself "WTF?"

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, carlos! I feel the same way.

John

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

It is reasonably easy to ignore the threads. Everyone bitches about something. Even when we have polls where 80%+ of the people agree, that means 20% don't.
    It's the internet.
    I put the GTN threads here because that is where I wanted to put them.
    Some time back, I asked both of you (Bob and John) if you wanted to help out as a Facilitator and you both declined. As a staff member you could have had a greater influence as to where the threads were posted.
    As members, I appreciate your brutal honesty (I like brutal honesty-I fuckin' love it) on this matter.
    As the Director (in a Random comments thread), I say "it's the 'net, deal with it".
    No emoticon since that is not how you roll...

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Fair enough. I get it.

I never even pay attention to the individual forums. I just click on "new posts" from the main page and read whatever threads look interesting to me.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Christine, my understanding is that these days a lot of people now contact artists directly to obtain original drawings in their books, which ultimately includes the book owner paying for shipping three times, as well as time and effort on the part of the artist to communicate individually, track, pack, ship, etc. I think that CD is helping out by making the whole effort more streamlined and organized for both the customer and for the artist. I assume CD makes a fee for providing this service, as any business should. The cost of the drawing in this case is higher than I am willing to pay, but I do not begrudge the publisher nor the artist for offering to provide an optional accessory to those who may want it.

As far as the actual pricing of each edition, and the relative pricing between editions, I believe it is Econ 1A stuff. Charge what the market will bear, otherwise the scalpers will take the profit you left on the table.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    It is reasonably easy to ignore the threads. Everyone bitches about something. Even when we have polls where 80%+ of the people agree, that means 20% don't.
    It's the internet.
    I put the GTN threads here because that is where I wanted to put them.
    Some time back, I asked both of you (Bob and John) if you wanted to help out as a Facilitator and you both declined. As a staff member you could have had a greater influence as to where the threads were posted.
    As members, I appreciate your brutal honesty (I like brutal honesty-I fuckin' love it) on this matter.
    As the Director (in a Random comments thread), I say "it's the 'net, deal with it".
    No emoticon since that is not how you roll...
    I understand. You da boss!

John

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Bob and John, you are correct. Technically, those threads should be in the Keystone Tower forum or, perhaps, the Shardik forum. However, the decision was made to place them in Calvin's Corner to encourage cross-pollination of the membership base.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Bob and John, you are correct. Technically, those threads should be in the Keystone Tower forum or, perhaps, the Shardik forum. However, the decision was made to place them in Calvin's Corner to encourage cross-pollination of the membership base.
    Patrick...take a look around. The announcement for each IS in Keystone Tower-In fact Path Of The Beam. The threads all redirect to Calvin's Corner.
    Dt.net insisted on "cross-pollinating" and it never worked. They (Dt.net) were almost punative. I suppose someone here will say they are being punished by these threads, but simply skip them. It is a "click in life" to bypass them.

Agree. If the intent was to cross-pollinate it didn't work with me. In fact, it may have had the opposite effect.

Citizen of Gilead harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm guessing I might be in the minority on this site but probably 90% of my books are used copies I picked up at garage sales or resale shops.
    That's cool, my collection is similar, 95% or more is used and secondhand. I have yet to spend over $200 on any one book, and I don't know if I ever will.

Los̶ ver 4 Life -- @shakyandspiky on Instagram -- PMs welcome

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by harrison ryan View Post
    I'm guessing I might be in the minority on this site but probably 90% of my books are used copies I picked up at garage sales or resale shops.
    That's cool, my collection is similar, 95% or more is used and secondhand. I have yet to spend over $200 on any one book, and I don't know if I ever will.
    Hey Harrison!! Great to see you back and posting again!!!

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Jerome, I understand the placement of the announcements/redirections. My subject was placement of the actual threads. To put them all in here is to encourage cross-pollination. I made no comment on either effectiveness nor popularity.

Gunslinger Apprentice Cloysterpete is on a distinguished road Cloysterpete's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've managed to ignore them pretty well, some of the posts in this random thread can be pretty interesting but I don't know why I would want to know random things about the people who work on the site, who cares?.

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Just braved the German DMV. Not surprisingly it is very similar to the ones in the US.

Rabid Billybumbler fearless-freak will become famous soon enough fearless-freak will become famous soon enough fearless-freak's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

just got my ticket to see Andy McNab next wedensday

Demon of the Prim ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I get why they did it, I really was just ranting which is why the spoiler tags. I don't begrudge them the profit they are getting instead of leaving it for after market sellers. However, I also don't agree with the excuse that the reason for the huge prices is better quality materials, I would respect them more if they just ponied up and said the price is cause that is what people will pay.

I was just in a bad mood already then that email hit and over the edge I went. I think they should start including these offers in the initial offering instead of tacking them on afterwords though, having dabbled in marketing myself adding additional charges after the initial sale is a big no no in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Christine, my understanding is that these days a lot of people now contact artists directly to obtain original drawings in their books, which ultimately includes the book owner paying for shipping three times, as well as time and effort on the part of the artist to communicate individually, track, pack, ship, etc. I think that CD is helping out by making the whole effort more streamlined and organized for both the customer and for the artist. I assume CD makes a fee for providing this service, as any business should. The cost of the drawing in this case is higher than I am willing to pay, but I do not begrudge the publisher nor the artist for offering to provide an optional accessory to those who may want it.

As far as the actual pricing of each edition, and the relative pricing between editions, I believe it is Econ 1A stuff. Charge what the market will bear, otherwise the scalpers will take the profit you left on the table.
    Christine

Citizen of Gilead harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Hey Harrison!! Great to see you back and posting again!!!
    Hey hey hey, good to be back. New King in a week a half, affordable s/l with Joyland Titan release, Joe Hill signings galore (with John Scalzi and Neil Gaiman upcoming)...it's a good time to be back!

Los̶ ver 4 Life -- @shakyandspiky on Instagram -- PMs welcome

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Christine, yeah, I see what you mean. Good points.

Welcome back, Harrison!

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

after 5 months of unemployment and doing nothing... worked 70 hours last week... 62 hours this week so far with 2 days to go (most likely will hit 80 this week)

it's great to be back working and making lots of money... but I'm hoping that monday will bring a day off... (of course, being a holiday, it would pay doubletime and a half.... hmmmmm.... )

+ Reply to Thread
Page 346 of 972 FirstFirst ... 246 296 336 344 345 346 347 348 356 396 446 846 ... LastLast