Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Salem's Lot - Discussion & Spoilers!

Hybrid View

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabled View Post
    I actually read this book last year and feel a bit on the outside when saying that I wasn't scared while reading it! I mean, I liked the story well enough, but it did not by any means make my top.
    I actually thought Duma Key was spookier, strangely enough.
    I agree. 'Salem's Lot doesn't hold up to modern times.
    Really?? I just finished a re-read recently and I still enjoyed it immensely though, the culture at the time is dated compared to today, obviously but, the underlying theme's are timeless, IMHO
    Outside of the culteral gap, which is mostly electronic anyway, I think the story holds up very well. The foundation of the story rests upon the residents of Jerusalem's Lot and the atmosphere that surrounds the town. It is the insular nature of The Lot and the foibles of its people that makes the story so effective and those elements are timeless.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabled View Post
    I actually read this book last year and feel a bit on the outside when saying that I wasn't scared while reading it! I mean, I liked the story well enough, but it did not by any means make my top.
    I actually thought Duma Key was spookier, strangely enough.
    I agree. 'Salem's Lot doesn't hold up to modern times.
    Really?? I just finished a re-read recently and I still enjoyed it immensely though, the culture at the time is dated compared to today, obviously but, the underlying theme's are timeless, IMHO
    Outside of the culteral gap, which is mostly electronic anyway, I think the story holds up very well. The foundation of the story rests upon the residents of Jerusalem's Lot and the atmosphere that surrounds the town. It is the insular nature of The Lot and the foibles of its people that makes the story so effective and those elements are timeless.
    Well put Mr. Mears. Better job than I did!!! I love the elemental "Good vs Evil" dichotomy!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    ...I think the story holds up very well. The foundation of the story rests upon the residents of Jerusalem's Lot and the atmosphere that surrounds the town. It is the insular nature of The Lot and the foibles of its people that makes the story so effective and those elements are timeless.
    I concur. Atmosphere, foreboding, mistrust, dawning realizations, crises of faith, and similar elements augment the characterizations that King brings to the page. Also, to me, this book is full of Horror. To folks these days brought up on Buffy or whatever else and go into 'Salem's Lot expecting a lot of dripping ghouls and AARRGGGG! and GRAAAHHHHHH! are likely to be disappointed. More's the shame.

+ Reply to Thread