Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Protective Covers For Your Books

Gunslinger Apprentice Cordial Jim will become famous soon enough Cordial Jim's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks Br!an and allasorte. That information helps.

I actually already have brodart covers on all my hardcovers. I normally wouldn't care about which room I move my books to, but in this case I'm a little worried -- the room in question is... *gasp*... the sun room! I know, it sounds outrageous, right. But the room is surrounded by Oak, Hickory and Pine trees, and thick bushes. Curtains are on all the windows (although they won't always be closed) except the sky windows. The bookshelf would be on the back wall, farthest from the windows. I thought maybe since all the books are covered in Brodart Archival that it might be doable. Also, the first six books in my King collection are not First Editions (they are the larger Book Club's, in Fine condition). It would be complete madness to put up a First Edition Carrie or 'Salem's Lot in the sun room! Everything after The Dead Zone is a 1st/1st. I have other options, but this is the best of them. We're having major space issues in our house (and my growing book collection is not helping matters).

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by allasorte View Post

Some people call bookshelves bookcases, but without the doors they aren't bookcases.
    Two shelves is not a bookcase since there is no case. Two shelves in a cabinet is a bookcase regardless of doors. A bookcase with doors is definitely preferable.

Sorry for the correction, but I am a cabinetmaker.

Mylar is not a word in lowercase? Weird
    Mylar is a brand name for PET; a type of polyester film. Kind of like Coke is a brand name for a type of cola.
    Great to know. Thank you.
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by allasorte View Post

Some people call bookshelves bookcases, but without the doors they aren't bookcases.
    Two shelves is not a bookcase since there is no case. Two shelves in a cabinet is a bookcase regardless of doors. A bookcase with doors is definitely preferable.

Sorry for the correction, but I am a cabinetmaker.

Mylar is not a word in lowercase? Weird
    Mylar is a brand name for PET; a type of polyester film. Kind of like Coke is a brand name for a type of cola.
    "Check out the big brain on, Brian" LOL J/K

I figured since, Winston Wolf is in your sig you would appreciate the joke. Love me some "Pulp Fiction"!!!
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

LOL I was a little worries you took it the wrong way for a while there!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote Originally Posted by Cordial Jim View Post
    Thanks Br!an and allasorte. That information helps.

I actually already have brodart covers on all my hardcovers. I normally wouldn't care about which room I move my books to, but in this case I'm a little worried -- the room in question is... *gasp*... the sun room! I know, it sounds outrageous, right. But the room is surrounded by Oak, Hickory and Pine trees, and thick bushes. Curtains are on all the windows (although they won't always be closed) except the sky windows. The bookshelf would be on the back wall, farthest from the windows. I thought maybe since all the books are covered in Brodart Archival that it might be doable. Also, the first six books in my King collection are not First Editions (they are the larger Book Club's, in Fine condition). It would be complete madness to put up a First Edition Carrie or 'Salem's Lot in the sun room! Everything after The Dead Zone is a 1st/1st. I have other options, but this is the best of them. We're having major space issues in our house (and my growing book collection is not helping matters).
    Hell.... Just do what I did..... Put book shelves over the windows.

Gunslinger Apprentice Cordial Jim will become famous soon enough Cordial Jim's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

LOL! Awesome paperback collection, needfulthings! Impressive.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Simple solution!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

Well, I've done it. The bookshelf has been moved to the sun room (the sun room that doesn't really get all that much sun). There's no turning back now. I guess we'll find out how effective the Brodart Archival book covers are against UV. I'm a little worried about my Firestarter (the earliest King first edition that I have) which I've had since 1982. It'll be alright though. This will probably only be temporary anyway (if I can ever finish the unfinished basement).

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

Brodart has a 25% off sale of supplies from April 12-18 if anyone is looking to protect their books
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

Gunslinger Apprentice jsweet has a spectacular aura about jsweet has a spectacular aura about jsweet has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

Sale at ShopBrodart.com right now - 15 percent off online orders using code WEB15 through June 21

My Mood
    Confused

A little off topic, I have the Easton Press Dead Zone black leather first edition book. It has a scuff on it. Has anyone repaired leather before? Should I attempt to do this? If so, any thoughts on what leather repair kit is worth buying? Thanks for any information, P.S. I don't think markers would be an answer.

Try Meltonian Shoe Cream.

My Mood
    Confused

Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post
    I ordered some and I will let you know what happens. I have some spray/cleaner, but that didn't work as I sprayed it on a rag and dabbed the spot. Thanks, I'll keep you posted. If you need me to throw apples into anyone's windows as repayment.....I know someone I can do that too.

My Mood
    Confused

Well......it worked! I got the cream via mail today. I used an old sock and dabbed the spot and it matched, black, perfectly. You can still see the mark, but it is blended in with the book and very hard to see. Noticeable when looking, but it isn't a problem anymore. It seemed to have dried after 2 hours, but I plan on leaving it out for the day to be sure. Always, you know best. Thanks!!!

YOU'RE WELCOME.
    Spoiler:
    & you can also use it on your shoes.

My Mood
    Confused

YOU'RE WELCOME.
    Spoiler:
    & you can also use it on your shoes.
    I have some red wing boots from before the movie the Matrix. And no bullshit, I saw the movie and bitched Reeves was wearing my boots and stole my style! Mine have laces so he was simply lazy to not tie his own shoes, but I still have them and wear them sparingly as they were pricey and I love them. But yes, for the small amount I bought and the 2 tiny dabs off the lid I used, I do have some left over lol.

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Brodart 20% off through 8/9
    Code: WEB20

My Mood
    Confused

Brodart sale 25% off until this Sunday. webluv is the code......I believe. I just used it for some Mylar wraps .

Demon of the Prim AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So, what is the Item # for the Brodart Covers that most use for their books?

I, up until now, have historically used Gaylord but they discontinued my Item.....

Tks....

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by AKC View Post

I, up until now, have historically used Gaylord but they discontinued my Item.....

Tks....
    I use the Advantage II I buy them by the 100 for the 21" x 10" then I buy 25 packs of the 25' x 12.5" for the larger books...

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Tks....
    These are the ones I use - http://www.shopbrodart.com/Book-Jack...-III-Archival/

Demon of the Prim killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by killjoy72 View Post
    I use these too. SKU #: 10426005
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

See I never liked the fold ons, they were never "secure" enough for me and i felt like they added too much thickness to the jacket with the overlap in the middle and then folding more up.

My Mood
    Confused

Tks....
    I love to protect the whole jacket when I can. Brodart just a fold II. 1.5 mil super clear. 12" high for most larger books and 10" for small ones like Joyland types. Cemetery Dance slipcases are tight so Brodart are usually impossible to use, therefore I buy the single sheets for CD books. I'm blank at the moment of what these sheet ones are called.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast