Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Protective Covers For Your Books

Citizen of Gilead barlow will become famous soon enough barlow's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The local used book store where I bought my Brodarts closed a few months ago and my supply is running out. Has anyone found any good prices for them on line?

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Were they cheaper than direct from Brodart?

Country
    Country Flag

I was buying the 10" ones for $.50, 12" and 14" ones for $.75. Does Brodart sell to individual people or do you need to be a library or bookstore?

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by barlow View Post
    I was buying the 10" ones for $.50, 12" and 14" ones for $.75. Does Brodart sell to individual people or do you need to be a library or bookstore?
    I buy mine directly from Brodart - http://www.shopbrodart.com/Book-Jack...Ojo6Ojo6MDo%3d

I get the ones that are 23" long and 10" high. A pack of 25 is $10.00 (40 cents each) or 100 for $34.00 (34 cents each).

You don't have to be a library to order from them

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ELazansky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by barlow View Post
    I buy mine directly from Brodart - http://www.shopbrodart.com/Book-Jack...Ojo6Ojo6MDo%3d

I get the ones that are 23" long and 10" high. A pack of 25 is $10.00 (40 cents each) or 100 for $34.00 (34 cents each).

You don't have to be a library to order from them
    Thanks for the information sir, that definitely sounds like the way to go.

Citizen of Gilead sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold

Country
    Country Flag

I do exactly the same with Brodart. Easy, online, credit card and sometimes they have sales and discounts and closeouts.

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

Quote Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
    I do exactly the same with Brodart. Easy, online, credit card and sometimes they have sales and discounts and closeouts.
    Ditto. I really like their adjustable softcover book covers, too. Lots of different sizes available for Proofs and ARCs.
    reality continues to ruin my life

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedNadine View Post
    Ditto. I really like their adjustable softcover book covers, too. Lots of different sizes available for Proofs and ARCs.
    Do you have a part number for what you use?

Citizen of Gilead sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold

Country
    Country Flag

I don't remember the number but I use Brodart Archival Fold-on covers and Dura Saver plastic covers for paperbacks.
    Easy to find on the web site under book supplies

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

There are a lot of different item numbers due to the variety of heights and lengths available

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

I've always used the dust jacket covers by Demco rather than Brodart. Many years ago Roy Robbins told me that Demco was clearer and that he thought the books looked sharper and brighter than with the Brodart covers. Not sure if it is true or not. Started using Demco years ago and have never changed.

Gunslinger Apprentice hyraxia will become famous soon enough hyraxia's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I've used a few various suppliers, the Demco ones have always been nice - I have a roll that I use for more expensive books, or books where the jacket's a little loose and needs tightening a bit.

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

Many sizes and thicknesses to choose from but here is an example of the Matte finish (which I like) 7.5mil adjustable. Click "more info" in the description and all the sizes are listed.

http://www.shopbrodart.com/book-cove...7-6a08181c37d9

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Do you have a part number for what you use?

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

I've never used Demco, but have bought Gaylord for a long time (item # S10000) and has been very happy with it. Recently switched to Brodart as they were much cheaper. I use quite a lot of plastic covers as I like to replace the plastic covers on almost all the books that I purchased. I like the shiny and crispness of brand new covers. Did not like the Brodart as much. The plastic is thinner and the surface not as shiny as the Gaylord ones. I will be repurchasing the Gaylord once I am finished with my Brodart ones.
    WANTED:

Lettered Danse Macabre
    Marshroots
    Lettered Eyes Of The Dragon
    Lettered The Stand
    BOMC signed Full Dark No Stars
    MM AGOT #249
    Lettered Frankenstein

Demon of the Prim ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What I want to know is why do so many people put DJ covers on DJs that are too small? They don't cover the entire DJ.
    Christine

My Mood
    Twisted

Quote Originally Posted by ChristineB View Post
    What I want to know is why do so many people put DJ covers on DJs that are too small? They don't cover the entire DJ.
    They're too cheap to buy the proper size?

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Part of it is that the covers offered aren't made long enough for a standard dust jacket. The ones I buy are 9.5" tall, which covers the height of most trade hardcovers but they don't cover the length. The bigger jacket covers become to cumbersome due to the extra material.

My Mood
    Twisted

Quote Originally Posted by Joe315 View Post
    Part of it is that the covers offered aren't made long enough for a standard dust jacket. The ones I buy are 9.5" tall, which covers the height of most trade hardcovers but they don't cover the length. The bigger jacket covers become to cumbersome due to the extra material.
    Disagree. The size I use fully cover the DJ and tho there is extra material I have not found it to be cumbersome at all. IMO there's no point putting on a cover to protect the DJ if the the DJ isnt fully covered

Country
    Country Flag

You could buy it by the roll and then cut each one to its correct length

Demon of the Prim ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The ones I have easily cover the whole DJ and all I have to do is cut them off if they are a bit too long, I am with TN here, hate seeing a DJ that is not fully covered.
    Christine

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Disagree. The size I use fully cover the DJ and tho there is extra material I have not found it to be cumbersome at all. IMO there's no point putting on a cover to protect the DJ if the the DJ isnt fully covered
    I am inept at putting covers on. Can I just send you all of my books and you take care of it for me?

Country
    Country Flag

Thats just how I feel, although I find it annoying that they aren't made longer.

Quote Originally Posted by ELazansky View Post
    You could buy it by the roll and then cut each one to its correct length
    I have thought about that. Will probably do that next time I buy covers.

My Mood
    Twisted

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I am inept at putting covers on. Can I just send you all of my books and you take care of it for me?
    Sure. And for the service you wont mind if I hold onto them for an indefinite amount of time, do you?

Country
    Country Flag

Since we were talking about the book covers, is there a benefit to the paper backed covers over ones that are just mylar?

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Since we were talking about the book covers, is there a benefit to the paper backed covers over ones that are just mylar?
    I've always been of the mind set that the paper backed covers are more readily "creased" as you would want for the inside portion of the DJ
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast