Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Classic & Foreign Films

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Both are fantastic!
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

WOW! A BLU-RAY MUST.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

M one of the best movies EVER !!!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Oldboy director Chan-wook Park to direct Black List western 'The Brigands of Battleborge'

http://www.geeksofdoom.com/2012/08/3...f-rattleborge/

DAY ONE.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

A co worker of mine let me borrow Jean Luc Godard's "Breathless". Looking to watch that soon.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

good luck with this. Bears hate la nouvelle vague...

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Yeah I remember watching it in one of my film classes but not overly enjoying it. Jean did you see the remake with Richard Gere?
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

no, I didn't even know there was one

: surprised :

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh bloody hell ... if you guys didn't like it, what chance do I possibly have?

Country
    Country Flag

well, it's all classic, historical and all that...

then, I personally love Jean-Paul Belmondo, and can look at him anywhere. Then, the finale is really really good.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default World cinema

I'm a very big fan of foreign movies, because, for one, they allow you to see different cultures and countries and understand them better - perhaps - without having to leave your home. A poor substitute for travel maybe, but definitely cheaper. And with more and more countries putting our high quality films, often rivaling or bettering domestic output, the variety is nearly endless. And with the latest advents in streaming and so on, watching an obscure foreign film is easier than ever. And there are lots of gems to be found.

I know a lot of us are Oscar fans and on Oscar Night one of my favorite categories has always been Best Foreign Film. Years ago 15-20 counties entered the competition, but the race has exploded in recent years. A record 76 countries submitted their films for Oscar consideration last year, and this tear that number was upped to a staggering 83!

It would be impossible to see all of these nominees, but most of them have trailers available. I've watched most of them, and a lot of these movies look great:

http://www.oscars.org/news/83-countr...ge-film-oscarr
    List of nominees:

If I had to pick the nine-title shortlist, I'd probably at this point go with these (and the five nominees in bold):
    • Mommy (Canada)
    • Fair Play (Czech Republic)
    • Tangerines (Estonia)
    • White God (Hungary)
    • Timbuktu (Mauritania)
    • Norte, the End of History (Philippines)
    • Ida (Poland)
    • Leviathan (Russia)
    • Winter Sleep (Turkey)

Honorable mentions include: Wild Tales (Argentina), Two Days, One Night (Belgium), Dukhtar (Pakistan), Living Is Easy with Eyes Closed (Spain), and Force Majeure (Sweden).

Not sure yet which film gets the Oscar. What are your thoughts, guys and gals?

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Here's a page with links to almost all 83 trailers: http://www.thewrap.com/50-countries-...e-list-so-far/

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I read that article too and I thought that was amazing. I think it's a true testament to how global Hollywood and cinema in general has become. It also proves how far we've come from a technological standpoint. There are some serious high-tech cameras that output amazing quality for relatively cheap prices. Also, editing programs are really cheap and most laptop computers can handle the heavy lifting that is required for editing.

It's quite amazing and I honestly think it's beautiful. There are some countries that are now making films where it is illegal to do so. Some of those countries frown upon their population even watching movies, especially American movies.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Country
    Country Flag

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/new...guage-category
    There were a number of obvious choices and a number of surprising omissions as the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced the nine feature film that have been shortlisted for the Foreign Language category at the 87th Academy Awards.

The nine films that will be culled down to five before the January 15, 2015 announcement of the Oscar nominations are (in alphabetical order by country):
    • Wild Tales, directed by Damian Szifron – Argentina
    • Tangerines, directed by Zaza Urushadze – Estonia
    • Corn Island, directed by George Ovashvili – Georgia
    • Timbuktu, directed by Abderrahmane Sissako – Mauritania
    • Accused, directed by Paula van der Oest – Netherlands
    • Ida, directed by Pawel Pawlikowski – Poland
    • Leviathan, directed by Andrey Zyvagintsev – Russia
    • Force Majeure, directed by Ruben Östlund – Sweden
    • The Liberator, directed by Alberto Arvelo – Venezuela

The nine films will be watched by a special committee of Academy members in New York, Los Angeles and London, which will watch three movies a day before casting their ballots to get it down to five.

Ida, Force Majeure and Leviathan have already received Golden Globe and Critics Choice nominations, while Tangerines was also among the Golden Globe nominations and Wild Tales was nominated for the Critics Choice Movie Awards.

Belgian filmmakers Luc and Jean-Pierre Dardenne were once again snubbed by the Academy for their latest film Two Days, One Night, starring Marion Cotillard, which has been receiving rave reviews and critical awards since its debut at the Cannes Film Festival. In fact, the brothers’ last six movies have received awards from that prestigious film festival in conjunction with their premieres, yet none of their films have ever been nominated for an Oscar. Other acclaimed Cannes films that didn’t get into the shortlist include French-Canadian filmmaker Xavier Dolan’s Mommy and the Hungarian film White God.

The Academy Awards winners will be announced on Sundance, February 22, 2015, at a live ceremony from the Kodak Theatre in Hollywood, broadcast on ABC.
    I guessed four out of nine....

Country
    Country Flag

I'll pick the following five to be nominated:
    • Wild Tales – Argentina
    • Tangerines – Estonia
    • Timbuktu – Mauritania
    • Ida – Poland
    • Leviathan – Russia

Ida will win.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Ida is on Netflix right now. I've been meaning to watch it.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

The foreign film category is the one category that's a complete crapshoot every year for me. I am extremely fortunate if I am able to watch any of them before the awards and still fortunate if I can watch them after. I finally got to see A Separation this year. I stil haven't been able to see Incendies, either. I just wish they were more accessible :/ Usually unless it's horror/action distributors don't give enough of a shit to bother distributing them.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Country
    Country Flag

A lot of foreign films are available on Netflix, actually. Most are also available on Bluray, and if you have a region-free player, then you're set!

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't have a Blu-Ray lol. Once Netflix clued in I was getting it for free for seven months they cut me off haha. The only foreign film from last years oscars that was on there around the awards was Hunted from Denmark, though I didn't watch it.

Country
    Country Flag

By the way, here are the trailers for the nine shortlisted films:

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I don't have a Blu-Ray lol. Once Netflix clued in I was getting it for free for seven months they cut me off haha. The only foreign film from last years oscars that was on there around the awards was Hunted from Denmark, though I didn't watch it.
    Netflix is just $7.99 a month. Well worth it.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

The price doesn't cover obscene overages on my Internet because streaming HD movies and TV is ridiculous from a data perspective. So not worth it all all.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    The price doesn't cover obscene overages on my Internet because streaming HD movies and TV is ridiculous from a data perspective. So not worth it all all.
    Yeah, Canada is different with all that over there.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

We're kind of forced to pay a lot more for unlimited data because it's cheaper haha

Pablo if you've never seen Tomboy, I watched that a bit ago on Netflix. It was a solid film.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast