Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 890 FirstFirst ... 40 48 49 50 51 52 60 100 150 550 ... LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 22245

Thread: Cemetery Dance discussion thread

Along the Path of the Beam Gris will become famous soon enough Gris's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

You can compare this directly to Lisey's Story. How much has the slipcased version risen in value compared to the regular trade HC? Oh, none, right, because it was a small print run of an existing mass-market book with a slipcase. BB has a baseball card. weeee!
    -Craig

Wanted!!
    Bachman Books HC 1st/1st
    Red Leather Dreamcatcher
    Red Leather Everything's Eventual

Shoot me a PM if you have any of the above!

My Collection

If you are considering a DropBox account, please also consider using me as a reference...
    http://db.tt/Msd4eKO

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

That's not really a fair comparison--the slipcased Lisey's Story was a Book Club edition.

John

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    IF CD gets the book out before Scribner has it available, the CD version will be considered the US 1ST Edition 1St (or second) printing.
    If CD lags, we have all wasted money on the CD "Card edition".
    There is also the "mass market" angle to look at. CD version is not mm, Scribner's is. So even if Scribner gets their's out first, wouldn't CD's still be the 1st/1st NON mm edition?
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Nerak View Post
    IF CD gets the book out before Scribner has it available, the CD version will be considered the US 1ST Edition 1St (or second) printing.
    There is also the "mass market" angle to look at. CD version is not mm, Scribner's is. So even if Scribner gets their's out first, wouldn't CD's still be the 1st/1st NON mm edition?
    Collectors don't really care so much anymore about which edition is first. They collect what they like. Cases in point are the UK bookclub editions by BCA of DOLORES CLAIBORNE and GERALD'S GAME. There is ample evidence that they were the first ones issued worldwide, they both had a limited print run of about 1000 to 2000 copies and both still sell for less than a F/F copy of the regular trade edition.

There are other examples but those are the ones that came to my mind the quickest. It just doesn't make that much difference to the average collector.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

There is also the "mass market" angle to look at. CD version is not mm, Scribner's is.

Translation, please??

sk

oops - got it!

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Collectors don't really care so much anymore about which edition is first. They collect what they like. Cases in point are the UK bookclub editions by BCA of DOLORES CLAIBORNE and GERALD'S GAME. There is ample evidence that they were the first ones issued worldwide, they both had a limited print run of about 1000 to 2000 copies and both still sell for less than a F/F copy of the regular trade edition.
    The Gerald's Game ABA edition is another good example...slipcase....the 'letter' from SK...and there's really no interest in it...it sells for $50/$75, I guess, but it hasn't ever gone up...I mean, is the BB novella going to be anything more interesting? Not really...

John F. Kennedy ibeforej is on a distinguished road ibeforej's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

From the SK.com newsletter:

LATE BREAKING NEWS

Stephen and Cemetery Dance have made an arrangement with Scribner to make available a less expensive hardcover edition of Blockade Billy, with an on-sale date of May 25th, the same date the audiobook goes on sale. The Scribner edition will be available in all U.S. retail outlets. Both the Scribner book and the Simon & Schuster audiobook will feature a bonus short story. In the meantime, an eBook edition of Blockade Billy should go on sale through Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Sony on April 20th.

So, basically the CD version is just like most of CD's other limited editions- a prettier copy of a book that you can get anywhere else. I was really psyched about this when I thought it might be at least a year or so before we ever saw another edition...but now, that you'll be able to buy another HC copy on Amazon less than 5wks later, it just takes a bit of the joy out of it for me. Especially considering the mm version will have a bonus story.

I'm going to give myself the afternoon to think about it, but I may be cancelling my CD preorder.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm keeping my CD order for BB, but I'll also be gettiing one of the Scribner editions as a reading copy. Because we don't have any nearby bookstores, I'll probably be ordering one from Amazon.

John

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post
    Yeah, but Legends - and other older s/l editions have had time to establish value, plus weren't bought by speculators in bulk like s/l editions of today often are...In the past few years, the only s/l that showed any serious increase in value was Salem's Lot, and the limitation was very small, matched with being one of his best books.

This is from the moderator at SK's site about BB:

"That's exactly what I was concerned people would think about when I heard they were thinking of doing this. No, it was not smokes and mirrors and it wasn't an attempt to get people to buy more books. The original intent for this book was to be a small print run from a small press publisher. But because there was such a demand both by consumers and the booksellers, Steve was willing to allow it to go out to Scribner to do a mass market edition so it would be available to more readers and to make it a little different, they decided to add Morality (one of the others that people

complained about not being able to get because it had been in Esquire). This is not the only reason you can't compare apples to oranges, though. The CD version is a limited edition and is a true collector's edition which will only increase in value."

It might someday, slightly increase in value...but by such a tiny amount to be irrelevant...I mean it's 20K copies of an unsigned novella, that is also available in a trade form...What are people going to pay for the book five years from now? $50? $100? I'd bet $20 or less...because the vast majority of curious readers will just buy the trade edition for $8.

The moderator's info simply doesn't jibe with market realities...
    There is no way SK entered into this thinking BB would fly under the radar. It was planned this way from the start. That's why all of the hype from CD to try to sell out the print run. I will be canceling my order and getting a copy off Amazon. With the extra story it's a better value and cheaper to boot.
    Not for nothing but, anyone else have a "Lost-like" sense of Deja-vu over this issuance? Isn't this pretty much the same kinda situation as the original "The Gunslinger" release? Albeit the original situation occurred due to an unintentional semi-screw-up, but they have very cleverly manipulated the present situation to somewhat emulate the Gunslinger circumstances! If I am remembering the story (more or less) correctly, the Gunslinger was released as a limited by DMG for the Northeast market before SK had made the "Big-Time". Later he included it in the "other novels by the author" list of Pet Semetery or something and folks clamored for the book, which resulted in a second printing and subsequent Mass Market paperback printing.

My point being, this sure looks like a "nothing up my sleeve" rendition of that situation. The print runs are even the same 10k and 10k!! SK is in a Loop, and definitely much wiser this time (he's got the horn)!!!! LOL LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Demon of the Prim east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice

Country
    Country Flag

Extra, Extra, get your Blockhead Billy slipcase while you can.....(ha ha)...

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post

There are other examples but those are the ones that came to my mind the quickest. It just doesn't make that much difference to the average collector.
    One of the two books will be considered as the 1st US trade edition (to be determined).
    Most collectors will likely have both a CD and a Scribner copy. Long range neither will -IMO command a premium, in fact we might see one or both on a remainder stack in less than a year.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Shouldnt it be the one that is printed first, even if not necessarily available first?
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

It will be determined soon.

John F. Kennedy ibeforej is on a distinguished road ibeforej's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post

Not for nothing but, anyone else have a "Lost-like" sense of Deja-vu over this issuance? Isn't this pretty much the same kinda situation as the original "The Gunslinger" release? Albeit the original situation occurred due to an unintentional semi-screw-up, but they have very cleverly manipulated the present situation to somewhat emulate the Gunslinger circumstances! If I am remembering the story (more or less) correctly, the Gunslinger was released as a limited by DMG for the Northeast market before SK had made the "Big-Time". Later he included it in the "other novels by the author" list of Pet Semetery or something and folks clamored for the book, which resulted in a second printing and subsequent Mass Market paperback printing.

My point being, this sure looks like a "nothing up my sleeve" rendition of that situation. The print runs are even the same 10k and 10k!! SK is in a Loop, and definitely much wiser this time (he's got the horn)!!!! LOL LOL
    I agree with this to a degree. I'm not familiar with the Gunslinger issue, but based on what you said, this took awhile to unfold. The "Blockade Billy" trick took less than 2wks. I would feel a lot better about this had there been at least a couple of months in between announcements.

For instance, I don't mind clamoring for the King stories in magazines, even though I know full well they'll probably appear in a collected edition in the next year or so. Even though it's not stated anywhere that this will be the case, history tends to repeat itself. In the case of BB, I felt like we were led to believe this story would be a CD exclusive (although I didn't really buy this theory) OR, at the very least, a book that we would be unable to get elsewhere for months/years... not just 5 weeks.

It just really takes out the "wow" factor when you find out that you can buy it cheaper (even as a hardcover) and with a bonus story, so quickly after the true 1st edition is published. Honestly, the part that bugs me the most is the bonus story- if it weren't for that, I might not be so peeved about the whole thing.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Right - the "Gunslinger" really was a case of popular interest driving the more mass-market publication...I remember seeing it in "Pet Sematery" and being like "what?" So it germinated from a legitimately grass roots desire.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post
    Right - the "Gunslinger" really was a case of popular interest driving the more mass-market publication...I remember seeing it in "Pet Sematery" and being like "what?" So it germinated from a legitimately grass roots desire.
    Absolutely. and they used that scenario. All I'm saying is that maybe they took a page outta that scenario for the BB release. I mean its just too "by the book" (pardon the pun) to have not had some influence. Actually, if I recall correctly CD even advertised this 10k print as the first of its kind since.............wait for it........The Gunslinger was printed !!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gunslinger Apprentice idlewarnings has a spectacular aura about idlewarnings has a spectacular aura about idlewarnings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

A friend of mine ordered BB from CD on my recommendation. She got an email today offering a chance to order an exclusive slipcase. I never got that email so I'm guessing it only went to first time buyers. I told her she'll probably be waiting a long time for that slipcase.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Here is what was sent to the "lucky" lottery winners:

Hi there!

Congratulations! You've been selected to purchase ONE copy of the signed
    *Limited* Edition of Blockade Billy by Stephen King!

We have to limit each customer to 1 copy of each edition due to the
    extremely low print runs. No certificates or coupons can be used for this
    item. You have 24 hours from right now to place your order via our website,
    or we will have to select another winner. If you already know you've
    changed your mind, please reply so we can select someone else right away.
    Thanks!

Here is the SECRET page on our website to place your order:

redacted

Please do not share that link with anyone. Orders from non-winners will be
    cancelled, less a processing fee.

Congratulations again! This incredible special edition will be shipping
    later this summer, and it's going to be a beautiful addition to your
    collection.

~ Mindy

Citizen of Gilead CurtSeattle has a spectacular aura about CurtSeattle has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

Default Cemetery Cancelations, PM with the available books please!

Hey! I notice some of you are canceling your orders.

Can you PM me, please, with what books are maybe available? I might like to jump on them since I missed out on them the first time (I wasn't collecting 10 years ago )

Thanks!!!

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

They are cancelling them because the books will probably never be released.

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

How many of you out there got the "winner" of the lottery e-mail and the chance to order the S/L or Lettered edition?

I did. I don't want one for myself, but I thought a customer might. Haven't secured my book yet...not sure even if I will do so. If I have to pay whatever it is $425 or $450 for a S/L, I just can't see charging a customer $500 minimum for a book like this. I'll probably let my 24 hour period lapse.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I was one of those who got the "secret" email from Mindy and ordered both the CD trade and s/l editions. I was never put into any type of lottery, etc.--I simply got acknowledgement emails that my orders were accepted.

John

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I ordered both the Lettered and S/L versions before reading the descriptions or knowing the price.

I then came to my senses and cancelled my orders when I found out the books will not actually be signed by King.

I know I will get them on the secondary market for less than the issue price later.

Gunslinger Apprentice Lenny is on a distinguished road Lenny's Avatar

Don't know but these padded walls are NICE.
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    I ordered both the Lettered and S/L versions before reading the descriptions or knowing the price.

I then came to my senses and cancelled my orders when I found out the books will not actually be signed by King.
    I know I will get them on the secondary market for less than the issue price later.
    This is my thinking exactly
    Need first editions of:
    1.Carrie
    2.Salem's Lot
    3.The Shining
    4.Night Shift
    5.THE PASSAGE uncorrected proof

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

The 'shipping later this summer' is the deciding factor for me. That is code for 'perhaps never'.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 890 FirstFirst ... 40 48 49 50 51 52 60 100 150 550 ... LastLast