Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 197 of 890 FirstFirst ... 97 147 187 195 196 197 198 199 207 247 297 697 ... LastLast
Results 4,901 to 4,925 of 22245

Thread: Cemetery Dance discussion thread

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Sorry, not "free". Poor word choice. I mean that they don't have to throw down a large chunk of change every time a new book comes out, like IT which retailed at 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe315 View Post
    So basically they are receiving books for free? I wish I was around for that deal.
    I was offered (years ago, perhaps 12+ years) the lifetime deal. It was several thousand dollars, and quite frankly I passed because at the time CD was IMO, a fledgling, habitually late, and on the verge of collapsing small press. Those that bought in are now very lucky individuals, but they took a huge risk and helped a company that at the time really seemed to need capitol to continue to exist. They certainly aren't getting "free books". They paid for them in advance.

They certainly aren't getting "free books". They paid for them in advance.
    Here's the part that will make your head spin: some people paid as little as $250 for their Limited Edition lifetime deal back in the early 1990s. I've never added it up, but we've published at least $15,000 (retail) worth of books since then. Probably more. The King books alone make it a heck of a deal, eh?

Brian
    Founder and publisher of Lividian Publications. My other website is BrianJamesFreeman.com. Please always feel free to email me or send me a PM if you have any questions about either!

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BrianFreeman View Post
    quite frankly I passed because at the time CD was IMO, a fledgling, habitually late, and on the verge of collapsing small press.
    Yep, people have been saying that about us for 24 years now. You bet wrong, I think.

Brian
    I did make the incorrect decision. I probably should have bought Microsoft, Google and Apple too. Then I wouldn't be worried about the price of a CD lettered edition; it would be pocket change.

I did make the incorrect decision. I probably should have bought Microsoft, Google and Apple too. Then I wouldn't be worried about the price of a CD lettered edition; it would be pocket change.
    We all should have bought those stocks. Then the price of everything wouldn't matter.

By the way, people have been saying we were doomed since Richard added color to the magazine cover in 1990 or so. We're used to it at this point. The fact that people still underestimate us kind of makes it even more fun to announce the next big book, etc.

Brian
    Founder and publisher of Lividian Publications. My other website is BrianJamesFreeman.com. Please always feel free to email me or send me a PM if you have any questions about either!

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

$250 for a lettered life time?

By the way, you know what they say about publishing, right? If you want your publishing business to have a million dollars in the bank, start with two million.

There's a reason why we're grateful to the 10,000 or so regular customers who buy from us every year. There are a lot of great presses and publishers we really like who have gone out of business, seen their schedules dwindle to a book every couple of years, etc. You can't blame them. Printing costs have gotten insane, shipping costs have gotten insane, the cost of simply keeping your doors open for business is getting out of hand, and general economic factors are not in your favor as a small press. In some ways, it's crazy for us to still be doing this. We could all be making a lot more money doing something else. But when you love what you're doing, that makes a world of difference. Those 10,000 regular customers are a big reason why we can still be doing this for a living and also why we are still doing it. We have a lot of very enthusiastic supporters and that certainly makes it easier to face the challenges a small press faces.

Brian

The very first Limited Edition lifetime memberships were sold for $250 -- but that was when the book line was first being launched in 1992. The very last ones were sold for A LOT more than that and we don't sell them anymore.

I don't know what the original Lettered Edition lifetime memberships were sold for. $500 or $750 rings a bell. The last one, again, was sold for a lot more than that and we won't ever sell them again.

But, as was mentioned above, that was a real gamble for the collector at the time. It turned out very well for them in the long run, but I could point you toward dozens and dozens of other lifetime deals from other small presses that never earned out.

Brian

Country
    Country Flag

Hindsight is 20/20. I may have seen it as too risky but would certainly be kicking myself today if I had passed on it.

Hindsight is 20/20. I may have seen it as too risky but would certainly be kicking myself today if I had passed on it.
    "20/20 Hindsight Investments" is what I'd call my time traveling investment firm.

Brian

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

By the way, people have been saying we were doomed since Richard added color to the magazine cover in 1990 or so. We're used to it at this point. The fact that people still underestimate us kind of makes it even more fun to announce the next big book, etc.

Brian
    I felt CD was moribund...but the "report of their death" was an exaggeration. They certainly have made a great reputation here in the last couple of years.

Country
    Country Flag

"20/20 Hindsight Investments" is what I'd call my time traveling investment firm.

Brian
    I'd invest in that.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Ok, I love CD, I even got in on the free proof/ARC deal!

Here's a question you may or may not be allowed to answer - When a lettered edition is announced, how many are actually up for grabs then?
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

The very first Limited Edition lifetime memberships were sold for $250 -- but that was when the book line was first being launched in 1992. The very last ones were sold for A LOT more than that and we don't sell them anymore.

I don't know what the original Lettered Edition lifetime memberships were sold for. $500 or $750 rings a bell. The last one, again, was sold for a lot more than that and we won't ever sell them again.

But, as was mentioned above, that was a real gamble for the collector at the time. It turned out very well for them in the long run, but I could point you toward dozens and dozens of other lifetime deals from other small presses that never earned out.

Brian
    jeez, I wish I had been able to get one of THOSE 500.00 lettered lifetimes way back then, but I think you guys wised up a bit about that pretty quick.
    I think I got my regular - non-lettered edition Lifetime- around 2001-ish .... and I'm prettty sure I paid somewhere around 6000.00 - 6500.00 for it.
    I remember thinking, what the hell am I doing???? I'm never going to recoup this.

...If I haven't hit them yet- I'm guessing I'm pretty close to my "gravy years" now. I'd have to go add up all of the CD books released since I bought the membership to know for sure.

a thought.... up to this point... actual investment-wise, I'd probably have done better with a 15 year "CD" -(pardon the pun)- but that sure wouldn't have been near as much fun.

Country
    Country Flag

But you would have used that 15 year CD to buy books.

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

But you would have used that 15 year CD to buy books.
    good point

I'm happy with being a lifetimer... I'm going to live a long long time... and I'm pulling for CD to live just as long.

one of the nicest things about having a lifetime membership.... all my numbers match.

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    Here's a question you may or may not be allowed to answer - When a lettered edition is announced, how many are actually up for grabs then?
    There are only a couple of Lettered Edition lifers, so almost all of them.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Boomme View Post
    ...If I haven't hit them yet- I'm guessing I'm pretty close to my "gravy years" now. I'd have to go add up all of the CD books released since I bought the membership to know for sure.
    Depending on when in 2001 your membership started, I just looked at the chart and we've published 179 titles since January 2001. Even if they were all $40 Limited Editions, you'd be there... but, of course, there are King books and other $100+ books to count, too, which pushes the number higher.

Brian

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Whatever may have transpired in the past, CD is certainly doing wonderful things in the last few years!!! Keep up the great work, boys and girls!!!!

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Quote Originally Posted by Babe Ruth View Post
    Whatever may have transpired in the past, CD is certainly doing wonderful things in the last few years!!! Keep up the great work, boys and girls!!!!
    Wow, Babe Ruth is here! If only I could figure out who that really is.

Brian

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Babe Ruth played for The Boston Red Sox from 1914-1919. After that he essentially disappeared. Tragic really.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Boomme View Post
    Depending on when in 2001 your membership started, I just looked at the chart and we've published 179 titles since January 2001. Even if they were all $40 Limited Editions, you'd be there... but, of course, there are King books and other $100+ books to count, too, which pushes the number higher.

Brian
    well, I do know for sure....I have a buttoad of pretty books from you guys.

Rearrange Me Til I'm Sane Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've one or two of CD's fine examples somewheres upstairs too
    We all float down here!

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Love Cemetery Dance. Quality productions, great staff, very supportive of a fledgling publisher ...

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

This is just "The Great Bambino's" opinion, but I think CD's return to relevance is a direct result of Mr. Freeman's involvement!!! Not to discredit Mr Chizmar in any way!!!

You guys are "rocking it"!!!!!!

Spoiler:
    Now that I think of it, Mr. Chizmar should get in here for a few choice posts!!!! Meet with the "Regular Folks" and all, right everyone? LOL LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gunslinger Apprentice neosatus will become famous soon enough neosatus will become famous soon enough neosatus's Avatar

I'm sure it's a good combination of a lot of good people. If there's any publisher I'm 100% sure I could trust to do the right thing, provide consistently good service and exceptionally produced products, it's CD.
    I just wish I was in the market for some of those awesome Lettered editions :/ Being in the "Lettered Club" sounds incredible!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 197 of 890 FirstFirst ... 97 147 187 195 196 197 198 199 207 247 297 697 ... LastLast