Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Need help remembering a forgotten book? ASK HERE!

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Long ago, I read a children's book with a talking cat who leads some kids into another world through a magic door inside a hollow tree. Anyone have any idea what book that one was?
    The Wishing Tree by Ruth Chew

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by John Blaze View Post
    Since there's two threads being merged today (ithink) I hope this still shows up in the merged thread. I got my answer about On The Beach in the other one, maybe someone can help me on this one for this book. It should be much harder.

The book is about a serial killer and the cop trying to catch him. He's going around killing everyone who was on a cruise ship at a certain cruise, and the reason is that he was raping people on the cruise, and was arrested or something. Turns out he had a small winky, and I guess he wanted to kill everyone who knew about it.

Seriously, sounds ridiculous but this book is good, 'Thomas Harris' quality stuff. I've been trying to find it for years.
    bump for merge
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Long ago, I read a children's book with a talking cat who leads some kids into another world through a magic door inside a hollow tree. Anyone have any idea what book that one was?
    The Wishing Tree by Ruth Chew
    That's it, that's it!

Thank you.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I read a children's book years ago that I have never been able to remember the title of, all I can remember is how much I was in love with the story at the time. It was about a girl who moves into a new house and finds that...it's either when she goes to the bottom of her garden or into next door's garden, that she goes back in time. She gets involved in some situation and has to help the other child/children she meets.
    Sorry, that was quite vague

妖怪 ola is on a distinguished road ola's Avatar

Darkthoughts: I would say The Root Cellar, but that was in a cellar and not a garden. Sounds very familiar.

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    I read a children's book years ago that I have never been able to remember the title of, all I can remember is how much I was in love with the story at the time. It was about a girl who moves into a new house and finds that...it's either when she goes to the bottom of her garden or into next door's garden, that she goes back in time. She gets involved in some situation and has to help the other child/children she meets.
    Sorry, that was quite vague
    i'm pretty sure I've read it, but I can't remember.

reminds me of The Secret Garden, though, and that I haven't read it in ages.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

it sounds really familiar, and for some reason i think a clock at the foot of the stairs has something to do with it, (or i could be thinking about something else completely)

i think i am thinkin about tom's mid night garden. ignore me - carry on as you were

My Mood
    Breezy

this isn't it, by chance? I don't think so, but then again there's a chance we're not talking about the same book.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Ihy...age&q=&f=false

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I've asked this b4 awhile ago but even after getting the authors name (and subsequently losing it! LOL) I failed to locate a copy.

In any case, I'm actually searching for a book of a collection Hugo Award winners, which contains the short story "A Big front Yard" It is by far my favorite Sci-Fi short story and I would love to pass it onto my kids and Grand-kids. The story, in short, regards a Connecticut Yankee Trader whose somewhat "slow" helper and dog all end up in a very "Twight Zone" situation with one part of their establishment on earth and the other "Out There".

Does anyone recall the author and/or have a copy for sale out there?

Much Obliged
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

妖怪 ola is on a distinguished road ola's Avatar

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Super-Hugos-Isaac-Asimov/dp/0671721356"]Amazon.com: Super Hugos (9780671721350): Isaac Asimov: Books[/ame]

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks. Do you recall the author of that particular story? I'm looking for a HC edition that can be passed on and since its an anthology there may be other books. Thanks again for your help.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Here you go, Merlin. The story, its author, and original source publication.

Good luck finding a hardcover copy though. Unless you've seen one, I'm not sure it exists in that format.

The Super Hugos ed. Martin H. Greenberg (Baen 0-671-72135-6, Sep ’92 [Aug ’92], $4.99, 424pp, pb, cover by Frank Kelly-Freas); Anthology of ten Hugo Award-winning stories, selected as “the best of the best” by the 1992 Hugo voters. With an introduction by Charles Sheffield plus an analysis of the voting and a list of all Hugo Award winners. The volume is attributed only as “Presented by Isaac Asimov” with a note that he was unable to do so before his death.

* 1 · Introduction · Charles Sheffield · in
    * 7 · Sandkings · George R. R. Martin · nv Omni Aug ’79
    * 55 · The Bicentennial Man · Isaac Asimov · nv Stellar #2, ed. Judy-Lynn del Rey, Ballantine, 1976
    * 101 · Enemy Mine · Barry B. Longyear · na IASFM Sep ’79
    * 173 · The Star [Star of Bethlehem] · Arthur C. Clarke · ss Infinity Science Fiction Nov ’55
    * 183 · The Big Front Yard · Clifford D. Simak · na Astounding Oct ’58
    * 244 · “Repent, Harlequin!” Said the Ticktockman · Harlan Ellison · ss Galaxy Dec ’65
    * 261 · Weyr Search [Pern] · Anne McCaffrey · na Analog Oct ’67
    * 327 · Neutron Star [Beowulf Shaeffer] · Larry Niven · nv If Oct ’66
    * 349 · I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream · Harlan Ellison · ss If Mar ’67
    * 369 · Flowers for Algernon · Daniel Keyes · nv F&SF Apr ’59
    * 403 · About the Super Hugo Voting · Misc. Material · ms
    * 413 · Appendix: The Hugo Awards · Misc. Material · bi

And dig this:

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks Ola and JB, it isn't either of those but now I've got more stuff to check out

Candy, Tom's Midnight Garden is brilliant, but it's not that and it's not Moondial either (which no-one has mentioned yet, but is a similar concept.) Also, for got to mention, it's set in England and is about one girl initially.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

"The Big Front Yard" was written by Clifford D. Simak. It's a real classic!

<edit> I should have read further on in the thread.

John

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow!!!! Many Many Thanks Patrick. Real treat seeing the Mag as well. I originally read it in a HC anthology that was pretty worn. The binding was cracked etc. I'm hoping to find it in some used book store or maybe on ebay

Thanks again for the detailed info!!!!!

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Traveler CLG02 is on a distinguished road

Default Help remembering children's book

I've been trying for ages to remember a book I read when I was a child. It was a children's chapter book, not very large about 2 cats. One cat was a show cat that was no longer allowed in shows because she bit a judge and the other, I believe, was a stray. I recall on the last page was an illustration of the two cats sitting on a rug in front of a fireplace. It was my favorite book in elementary school, but for the life of me I can't remember the title. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

hmmm ... I don't know that one.
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Sorry, the idea of biting a cat show judge made me laugh. Don't know the story though, sorry.

I remember a book (I hope it's one book and not a conglomeration of books) I read in like 4th grade... it was a children's novel, I know it involved the god Janus, and I think a key and knights, but I have no idea what it was.

I know that was terribly vague, but that's all I got.

My Mood
    Breezy

Hey guys, maybe someone can help me out. I was talking about movies with a coworker tonight and he mentioned one which reminded me of a teen book I read in school. It was about some kid who stole a VCR remote control from his grandma who was an inventor and learned he could use it to control his life, kind of like the movie Click. It was called either Flash Forward, or Fast Forward....anyone ever read this? I've tried google and no luck.

Well, here's my try, thanks ahead of time.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It was about some kid who stole a VCR remote control from his grandma who was an inventor and learned he could use it to control his life, kind of like the movie Click.
    Hmm...sounds like an old Goosebumps episode I saw once. Is it possible that it was part of that series?

I was googling some interesting books to read about a month ago and I found a really good one but forgot the title. From the plot synopsis I read, the only things I remember from it is that it's a dystopian novel about the formation of a new society and those who are doing the "controlling" give victims the choice to join to society or commit suicide.

It sounded really, really interesting but unfortunately I canot remember what it's called. I searched all over the place using the description but that didn't help.

Anyone have any ideas?
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Gunslinger Apprentice woodpryan is on a distinguished road woodpryan's Avatar

That doesn't sound like a goosebumps book that I read as a kid. I read pretty much all of them too. I highly doubt that it was Goosebumps. I'm looking for it though.

My Mood
    Breezy

Oh I found it, sorry, should have posted that huh? I think they did make an episode of goosebumps on a similar premise, though.

Gunslinger Apprentice woodpryan is on a distinguished road woodpryan's Avatar

Oh I found it, sorry, should have posted that huh? I think they did make an episode of goosebumps on a similar premise, though.
    Thanks for letting us know. It sort of reminds me of the Goosebumps book "Say Cheese and Die". That might be what you guys are thinking of.

My Mood
    Breezy

No, Say Cheese and Die was a futuristic view camera, if I remember correctly, when he took a picture it showed the subject of the picture getting hurt.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3