Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 182 of 267 FirstFirst ... 82 132 172 180 181 182 183 184 192 232 ... LastLast
Results 4,526 to 4,550 of 6655

Thread: General Movie Discussion - **please mark spoilers**

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I saw Man of Steel over the weekend, and I fucking loved it. I saw nothing in the film that warranted the draconian responses elicited by some of those reviewers.

It's everything you could want from a blockbuster / comic book origin film.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Also saw it this weekend. Loved the first half, especially how it mixed Clark growing up with his journey to find out who he is. The way it was done was handled much better than I thought it was gonna be - instead of following the story in a completely linear and straightforward fashion, there was a nice mix of showing the man he is now and flashing back to key moments that made him that way. There's also some beautiful moments - Clark first learning to fly and going "WHOAAAAAAAAAAA!" brought a huge smile on my face.

The 2nd half was ok, but it was a little too...crash-bang-wollop for me, especially when Superman was directly causing as much damage to the city as the villains around him at times. By the end, looking at Metropolis being covered in smoke, dust, and some seriously fucking wrecked buildings, I couldn't help but think of those scenes in Team America where the guys are "saving" cities like Paris by blowing 'em to bits. If it had handled the balance between emotion and balls to the wall action in the final hour better, and explored the hero that Superman needed to be - a beacon of hope, a saviour for humanity and all that other easy Messiah stuff - I think I would've enjoyed it more - let's face it, when it comes to epic fucking action and final battles that actually have a huge emotional weight to them due to having such amazing character build-up, the Avengers is still pretty much the standard for comic book movies like Man of Steel.

But like I said, I really enjoyed, nonetheless. It gets a 7/10 from me.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    As a diehard gamer I'm ashamed to admit I haven't seen that yet. I'll get around to it though. That therapy session scene alone looks worth the price of admission.
    It's not a perfect movie (the soundtrack is just awful, soulless pop... I miss when Elton John and Phil Collins did Disney songs ) but it's a lot of fun just to see how many references you find. I caught more the second time around... I'm almost tempted to watch it a third time to see if there's anything I missed.
    A lady always remembers her courtesies.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

That's why I love coming here, as well as talking to some of you guys on Facebook. I get honest reviews and thoughts from people I trust and people who (for the most part) share similar taste in film.

I have a few trusted professional movie critics I like to read, as well as following the overall Rotten Tomatoes %, but there's nothing like talking to actual friends that know what they like and know what they are talking about.

Also, Feev, you should be ashamed of yourself that you haven't seen Wrek-It Ralph yet.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Can someone explain to me the appeal of Tarantino? Because all I see is stylized violence. I don't find his stories interesting or thought-provoking at all. Plus, I hated the female lead in Django Unchained, all she did was scream and flinch. Do something! You apparently keep trying to run away, you can't be totally useless, pick up a gun or something!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ka-mai View Post
    Can someone explain to me the appeal of Tarantino? Because all I see is stylized violence. I don't find his stories interesting or thought-provoking at all. Plus, I hated the female lead in Django Unchained, all she did was scream and flinch. Do something! You apparently keep trying to run away, you can't be totally useless, pick up a gun or something!
    No disrespect intended, but you probably do not "get", Tarantino. He is an acquired taste to some. "Django" was just brilliant and real, IMHO
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, that's kind of what I'm saying... what is there to get? His styling with the comic-book-type shots and text is somewhat interesting, but I get bored with it before the end of the movie. And I know it's an action movie and violence is to be expected, but he really belabors the point. It's like he gets off on it or something.

Also, I hate seeing his sneery face show up on screen. So that probably doesn't help much.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, that's kind of what I'm saying... what is there to get? His styling with the comic-book-type shots and text is somewhat interesting, but I get bored with it before the end of the movie. And I know it's an action movie and violence is to be expected, but he really belabors the point. It's like he gets off on it or something.

Also, I hate seeing his sneery face show up on screen. So that probably doesn't help much.
    Like I said, he's a bit of an acquired taste. You either "Love" him or "Hate" him there doesn't seem to be much gray area there.

You gotta admit though his depiction of the reality of slavery was very likely "spot on". Same with the Nazi's in "Inglorious Basterds" Of course it may just be a "Guy" thing!! LOL LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

To be honest, I just watch them for cool entertainment that's very well done, although I did like his exploration of slavery in Django Unchained. My main reasons to enjoy Tarantino are the stylised violence, the cinematography (although I think we can thank the cinematographer more than the director for that), the inspiration from cult films that appeals to my sense of cool, and the dialogue. I love the dialogue in Tarantino movies. "Motherfucker, I'm trying to watch the Lost Boys!" "What do they call a Whopper?" "I dunno, I didn't go into Burger King." Django Unchained's probably my favourite of his due to (a) my love of great sphagetti Westerns and (b) Dr King Schulz. Most of the best dialogue in that film comes from that wonderfully wordy bastard, he was a character as wonderfully written as a character in a Doctor Who story written by Robert Holmes (and since that motherfucker created Jago & Litefoot for one single story, two of the greatest characters written in fiction, I can give no higher compliment). Do I find his stories thought-provoking? Fuck no. But they're usually highly watchable for me.

Btw, if you want to watch a highly violent and stylish film (which I'm guessing you don't) where the female lead isn't (a) a romantic interest for the hero, (b) isn't a damsel in distress, and (c) kicks some serious arse while avoiding showing any hint of cleavage, you can't go far wrong with Dredd. Olivia Thirlby was an amazing Judge Anderson in that film! (I suspect Karl Urban's voice would grate on you though, so it may not be entirely to your tastes. )

- Melike

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

^ Well said DD!!! In addition, a movie recommendation that pretty much matches DD's criteria is the "Kill Bill" series!!!

That's one bad white woman in that one!!! You go, Uma!!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

I have to say I liked the style of Pulp Fiction, and I liked Kill Bill vol. 1 mostly because O-ren Ishii was so fantastic. Otherwise, meh.

I just tried to ask around. My one guy friend has actually never seen a Tarantino film. He's 31. I told him he had homework now.

Matt's with me on this. At least we agree on something.

James: I tried to watch Dredd and all I could see when I looked at him was this:

So I had a hard time getting into it. Maybe I'll try again if there's a strong female character. (I'm super obsessed with Leia Organa at the moment. As one of about two people in the entire Star Wars universe who can actually hit something with a blaster, she is my hero.)

My Mood
    Yeehaw

James: I tried to watch Dredd and all I could see when I looked at him was this:

So I had a hard time getting into it. Maybe I'll try again if there's a strong female character. (I'm super obsessed with Leia Organa at the moment. As one of about two people in the entire Star Wars universe who can actually hit something with a blaster, she is my hero.)
    Yes, I remember you mentioning you had only seen the first few minutes of the film and it reminded you of grumpy cat. But this is grumpy cat with a awesome gun!

Being a fan of the comics, I didn't mind the constant > so much, but like I said, if you want a great female character handled just right in an action movie, you can't go too far wrong with Anderson. In fact, that's one of my (admittedly numerous) favourite things about the movie: seeing Anderson's journey from fresh but nervous rookie on the force (which let's be honest, usually goes to a male in cop movies) to becoming one tough motherfucking badass after a very bad day.

- Melike

Country
    Country Flag

Excellent. I was just so disappointed with Django because they kept talking about how awesome Broomhilde was, and how she kept trying to run away, and then when we actually see her she's a sniveling ball of panic. It really looked like sloppy writing to me, honestly. It's like he wanted both things but couldn't reconcile them, and figured the audience wasn't paying attention anyway. Seriously disappointing. Just saying, Leia strangled her captor to death with her own chain, Broomhilde could have done something. Anything. Kicked someone. ANYTHING.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Can someone explain to me the appeal of Tarantino? <...>
    To me too, please.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post

To be honest, I just watch them for cool entertainment that's very well done <...>
    have to agree with Sarah:

<...> but I get bored with it before the end of the movie<...>

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    ^ Well said DD!!! <...>
    As usual. Doesn't really clarify the issue, though.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Tarantino is a great script writer and his last two films show he can be a great director. Jean if you haven't seen Inglorious Basterds you will probably enjoy it. Most Tarantino fans didnt love Basterds (his best film) so what they love about his movies I don't know.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I started watching it, and kinda liked it, especially Waltz (whom I love immensely)... but soon I got tired, then bored, and stopped somewhere in the middle.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Waltz is great. I need to watch more of his stuff.

- Melike

Country
    Country Flag

: nods :

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Regarding Tarantino, I can definitely see why he's not for everyone. But he really is great with dialogue. It's one of those instances where it's so good, that when you're listening to the scene play out, you don't even notice that he's doing it well. I think that's a testament to his script-writing, especially since more people seem to recognize/criticize visuals rather than spoken dialogue.

And just as an aside, I loved Kill Bill, but hated Pulp Fiction.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I enjoy Pulp Fiction, but I'm probably one of the few who enjoyed Reservoir Dogs more. Probably need to give that a re-watch.

Btw: speaking of films with great dialogue, I'm really keen to see The Rum Diaries, as it's written and directed by Bruce Robinson, the scriptwriter/director of my favourite film ever, Withnail & I. Half of the reason I love that film so much is because of the wonderfully natural dialogue. "Ask him if he's got any pheasants." "What for?" "So we can eat it!" I also need to try and watch Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - I did try and watch it before, but rather appropriately I was too busy being completely pissed on rum and puking into a friend of an ex's toilet to pay much attention!

- Melike

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Django Unchained is entertaining if you don't take it too seriously. I don't naturally share Tarantino's perspective on movies, so it's not as easy for me to relate as he clearly counts on from his core audience. His perspective on real life is even more so for me. But it's kind of interesting to think about, I suppose. This just is not in any way the major film which some people, whether they mean to or not, made it sound like. You look at how well the actors perform, and you wonder why they bother. The basic story is a joke. Not comedy, just silly; cobbled together from corny plots of resuscitated, ridiculous old pulp fiction. But that is what the director does, I guess.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    You look at how well the actors perform, and you wonder why they bother.

looks like I'll have to watch Django anyway, to know what everyone is talking about

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    looks like I'll have to watch Django anyway, to know what everyone is talking about
    It's a fantastic fable (or maybe a fabulous fantasy) about a slave taking revenge on the plantation system. Literally.
    Basically, it is a quintessentially American method for emotional closure concerning the historical institution of slavery -- shooting at it in a movie.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I thought DiCaprio was great in the movie. There's a scene when he stands up, slams his hands on the table and screams something. His voice cracks at just the right moment and goddamn, that was such a perfect scene. I don't think his voice was supposed to crack, he was just that into it.

Loved the movie, love Tarantino.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I loved Django Unchainedd but man I REALLY felt that near 3 hour running time. Waltz and Foxx worked great in tandem. Fantastic duo.

Also, I can't freakin' wait to see Pacific Rim tomorrow from my boy Del Toro!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 182 of 267 FirstFirst ... 82 132 172 180 181 182 183 184 192 232 ... LastLast