Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: If you HAD to choose, which would you pick?

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Original Gunslinger

73 51.77%
  • Revised Gunslinger

68 48.23%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Original or Revised, if you HAD to choose

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Roland of Gilead 33 View Post
    my guess is the number 19 being forgotten by "Roland" ....
    Spoiler:
    he comments on how the day before or 2 days ago he would have said he knew thousands of Riddles but they just escaped his mind.

& he made a comment that perhaps he is moving on..? so my guess is that's what happend to him, he started to slowly move on as the world around him did.
    That's in a later book so I've spoilerified part of that (although it doesn't really spoil much). Good call though, that makes sense. Even if he had forgotten
    Spoiler:
    I can't help thinking that later 19 stuff would have jogged his memory.
    On the other hand, that event in Tull was one in many, so maybe that's not so surprising after all.

my question is did he do a revision of "DT2" or "DT3" ? at some point?
    He intended to, but so far only The Gunslinger was revised. That explains the disparity in the books.

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

i remember in the intro he DOES mentions that. but my guess he was "DT' burn out after having written 3 books in a row about it. plus re-writing the original book. so he prolly was on burn out. & thanxs for putting a spoiler on that. i wasn't sure if that would be considered one. & since most people have read the 1st book here that's also why i didn't add one.

anyways & thank you for the compliment. & i agree, "Roland" has been through a LOT through the years. hell he's been through stuff that "SK" never even wrote about i'm sure. so it would also make sense that he'd want to forgot about a LOT of it

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Roland of Gilead 33 View Post
    i remember in the intro he DOES mentions that. but my guess he was "DT' burn out after having written 3 books in a row about it. plus re-writing the original book. so he prolly was on burn out. & thanxs for putting a spoiler on that. i wasn't sure if that would be considered one. & since most people have read the 1st book here that's also why i didn't add one.
    You're welcome. Basically the rules in Baronies are that you don't need to use spoiler tags if you're writing about stuff that happened in the current or previous books. The assumption is that a person shouldn't be in that thread if they haven't read that book and previous books unless of course they don't care about spoilers.

For example if you were in the Drawing of the Three section you could post spoilers of that book and The Gunslinger without the spoiler tags. Spoilers for The Waste Lands onwards would need to be tagged. Since this is a The Gunslinger thread any spoilers from the other books would need to be tagged, this being the first. (If that makes sense.) I think the spoiler you posted was from either The Waste Lands or Wizard and Glass. (It wasn't a big one though. Probably borderline as to whether or not it was really needed, but I was just playing it safe.)

If you are actually starting a new thread yourself, then another alternative is to simply write a spoiler warning in the thread title itself stating which books will be spoiled. Then anyone going in knows what to expect.

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

ok thankee sai for the head's up

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

64% v 54% Interesting. It is starting to even out a bit, if I remember correctly.

Gunslinger Apprentice RolandLover will become famous soon enough RolandLover will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

I haven't read the original Gungslinger but I want to! Is this the original one? http://www.amazon.com/Gunslinger-Dar...3923203&sr=8-1
    If not cry your pardon but could someone post the original for me please? TIA

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

That's the revised edition and it's also illustrated. Go for it.

I don't remember what I voted but I like the revised edition more.

Traveler rolandesch is on a distinguished road rolandesch's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've only read the revised so I can't really say, however it becomes apparent to me that the inconsistencies in the original are better left revised.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by rolandesch View Post
    I've only read the revised so I can't really say, however it becomes apparent to me that the inconsistencies in the original are better left revised.
    The trouble is, the revised edition made other minor inconsistencies. Don't get me wrong, I like the Revised Edition and prefer it overall. It certainly fits the later books better, and the inconsistencies are small.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not so sure. Is consistency really so important in literature, anyway? The original was an ambiguous romantic epic, like the poem. Does comicbook-style continuity necessarily improve that?

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brainslinger View Post
    The trouble is, the revised edition made other minor inconsistencies.
    Like what?
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Wuducynn View Post
    Like what?
    Okay, I'll spoilerify since it deals with later books:

Spoiler:
    Mainly stuff concerning Walter.

In the revised version Roland realises during his conversation with the man in black that Marten became Walter. Then in the books leading up to Wolves of the Calla (where they're clearly described as the same person) he views them as separate entities again. So in short the revised Gunslinger fits with the last three books, but not entirely with the books in between.

I did say "minor inconsistency", Walter ending up quite a minor character anyway. One could even put it down to the moving on of that World and it's effect on Roland himself. (There's indication in the later books that his mind is affected.)

Personally, considering their history, I don't think that's the kind of thing he'd forget though. That being said, it's not a big deal at all, and it wouldn't even take much editing in those books to set things straight... and as such probably isn't really worth doing.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Like what?
    Okay, I'll spoilerify since it deals with later books:

Spoiler:
    Mainly stuff concerning Walter.

In the revised version Roland realises during his conversation with the man in black that Marten became Walter. Then in the books leading up to Wolves of the Calla (where they're clearly described as the same person) he views them as separate entities again. So in short the revised Gunslinger fits with the last three books, but not entirely with the books in between.

I did say "minor inconsistency", Walter ending up quite a minor character anyway. One could even put it down to the moving on of that World and it's effect on Roland himself. (There's indication in the later books that his mind is affected.)

Personally, considering their history, I don't think that's the kind of thing he'd forget though. That being said, it's not a big deal at all, and it wouldn't even take much editing in those books to set things straight... and as such probably isn't really worth doing.
    I think when King was doing the revision his intention was to be revising books II, III and IV after that. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing an interview with him saying that now that he had gotten where he wanted to go with the series together in his mind which only came together when he started writing Wolves of the Calla that he had intended on revising the rest of the series.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Is consistency really so important in literature, anyway?
    No.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I re-read the original version. I still feel the revised is superior in every way. If there were no DT series, the original would probably fare better in my mind but somehow, Roland saying 'How are they hanging?' (or whatever) to those boys in Tul is not the Roland we get to know later on. Just the way he carries himself in later books radiates I don't know... class? I get to feel his royal blood more in the revised edition. I'm not forgetting he's still a relentless killing machine but he's almost macho in the original version.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    No.
    For me it depends on who you are talking to. If King feels it's important to him that his series, his Great Work, be consistent then it's important for him and I can see why. I think he explained himself very well in the introduction to the revised edition as to why it was important for him to revise it and I respect his choice and agree with it.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I gotta go with the Author's choice and say the Revised edition. It is, ultimately, the story he wanted to tell after all.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

No.
    For me it depends on who you are talking to. If King feels it's important to him that his series, his Great Work, be consistent then it's important for him and I can see why. I think he explained himself very well in the introduction to the revised edition as to why it was important for him to revise it and I respect his choice and agree with it.
    I am talking to, from, and on behalf of, a reader. I do not care a flying f**k about what an author intended, wanted, or endeavored to do - only what he actually did.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

No.
    Yes, I've read that introduction at least a dozen times, and I think he did explain why it was important for him very well -- he wanted to sell more books.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

...Yes, I've read that introduction at least a dozen times, and I think he did explain why it was important for him very well -- he wanted to sell more books.
    Cynical ... but yes, I'd have to agree.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Boy, tough crowd!!! LOL

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

No.
    I am talking to, from, and on behalf of, a reader. I do not care a flying f**k about what an author intended, wanted, or endeavored to do - only what he actually did.
    Well it's good you don't give a flying fuck. Because I don't give a stationary, earth-bound fuck about you not giving a fuck. So we're not giving a fuck together.
    Last edited by Wuducynn; 01-03-2012 at 06:10 PM. Reason: It fucking felt right.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    I gotta go with the Author's choice and say the Revised edition. It is, ultimately, the story he wanted to tell after all.
    Exactly.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    It is, ultimately, the story he wanted to tell after all.
    That old ka-mai? Don't make me laugh.

But, look, my position hasn't changed: I'm glad that both versions exist. I can talk about my personal preferences, but I don't really understand the hypothetical "If you HAD to choose." Why would you have to? It's not like we've ever found it necessary on any forum to settle as a whole group on a single interpretation of the purpose of the series or of the truth of any particular point.

Country
    Country Flag

Well it's good you don't give a flying fuck. Because I don't give a stationary, earth-bound fuck about you not giving a fuck. So we're not giving a fuck together.
    If you wonder who gave you a rep point for this post, it was me. Nice to see you back. Nice to hear you talk, too. Nothing like a good old Mattqhew at his most usual.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast