Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 55 of 130 FirstFirst ... 5 45 53 54 55 56 57 65 105 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 3235

Thread: Star Wars Discussion

Gunslinger Apprentice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    You can argue it was the quality of the films, but Ibam certain their box office returns will shrink if they try to pump out a Star Wars brand film every year.
    Yes, because movies every year has really killed Marvel. They are the definition of over saturation and they continue to be huge films. Almost every single one of them. The Tolkien movies came out every single year and did not have issues either. The stand alone films might not be as huge but the main episode line every two years will most likely be wildly successful.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Alien View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    You can argue it was the quality of the films, but Ibam certain their box office returns will shrink if they try to pump out a Star Wars brand film every year.
    Yes, because movies every year has really killed Marvel. They are the definition of over saturation and they continue to be huge films. Almost every single one of them. The Tolkien movies came out every single year and did not have issues either. The stand alone films might not be as huge but the main episode line every two years will most likely be wildly successful.
    It's inevitable they will reach a decline. The Tolkien movies also had a decade long gap between trilogies and they were filmed at once. I couldn't even finish the first Hobbit. I thought was just terrible. With Marvel it is only a matter of time. The hardcores will stick around in the long-term, not sure about the rest. With DC now going heavy on film releases and Marvel jumping into dcs television market, a burn out is inevitable. Like.Sgar Wars the Fandom is so fanatic it may take a long time, but without a break so people can have some time to miss these characters, box office drops per movie will happen. Or maybe I just underestimate the fanatacism. I don't know. If I, who was obsessed with Star Wars for most of my life, can become burnt out and tired of the brand, surely its possible for everyone else. Truth is I'd be more on board with Star Wars if Disney didn't purchase them. I just can't stand Disney. And I hate that Pixar is still involved with them.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Gunslinger Apprentice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

All of the movies are not going to have the same characters. They are stand alone movies set in the universe but wholly their own. I don't see the same failure you see for years and years. And there is always new kids to become obsessed.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I'd love to see a Rogue Squadron spin-off. Less talk, more rock and Wedge Antilles being awesome.

TFA was great. Familiar but I'm all right with that. The actress playing Rey killed it.

I have never been to a theatre that quiet. No one talked, no one checked their phone during the entire movie.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

My daughter and grandson took me to see The Force Awakens yesterday and we all thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm not one to nitpick movies. A GREAT story with lots of action.

John

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

Basically how I see it is it's either this way or we get no Star Wars movies at all. I'd much rather have a diluted Star Wars than no Star Wars. If they keep making them I'll keep going, same thing with the super hero movies, be it DC, Marvel, Fox, or Sony, until they are bad movies. Sure it may not be special anymore, but who cares? Does it need to be to still be a fun movie? I don't think so. Personally I look forward to seeing a new Star Wars movie every year for the rest of my life. Just like I look forward to seeing roughly 6 new super hero movies a year from now until who knows when. I'd much rather have all of those movies than another Transformers movie or another Fast and the Furious movie, and they keep making those.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DanHocker View Post
    Basically how I see it is it's either this way or we get no Star Wars movies at all. I'd much rather have a diluted Star Wars than no Star Wars. If they keep making them I'll keep going, same thing with the super hero movies, be it DC, Marvel, Fox, or Sony, until they are bad movies. Sure it may not be special anymore, but who cares? Does it need to be to still be a fun movie? I don't think so. Personally I look forward to seeing a new Star Wars movie every year for the rest of my life. Just like I look forward to seeing roughly 6 new super hero movies a year from now until who knows when. I'd much rather have all of those movies than another Transformers movie or another Fast and the Furious movie, and they keep making those.
    100%
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

John F. Kennedy Absttractharmony will become famous soon enough Absttractharmony's Avatar

On the whole I enjoyed it. Lots to like, a couple of bits that I didn't (crappy CGI Snoke I'm looking at you).

On the whole though I'd rather just having the three Saga films than 1 per year.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

There's an easy solution to that problem: you don't have to watch them.

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Just curious, what did you find wrong with the snoke hologram?

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Joe315 View Post
    Yeah, I loved it. haha
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah same here, it was fine to me. Not sure what the complaint is..

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

There's been a lot of people in the camp of "No CGI" or "All CGI" is bad leading up to / after this movie, and after the prequels I can't really blame them. Personally I'm a bit more of a realist when it comes to that stuff. We live in an era of CGI and I don't really mind, it lets the movie makers make / do things they couldn't otherwise do. The biggest complaint with Snoke that I've heard is not really the characters design, just how it was implemented with the CGI. Personally I'm willing to forgive it, because it was a hologram. The next movie will really be telling as to how the CGI looks. I think the other thing that goes with Snoke as well is mostly that Snoke's design is simple enough that they really could have done that with prosthetics, and I'm guessing the reason they didn't is because he will be doing something that they couldn't do with prosthetics in the future.

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Absttractharmony View Post
    On the whole I enjoyed it. Lots to like, a couple of bits that I didn't (crappy CGI Snoke I'm looking at you).

On the whole though I'd rather just having the three Saga films than 1 per year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe315 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Yeah same here, it was fine to me. Not sure what the complaint is..

I can understand why Absttractharmony did not like the Snoke hologram, for I had a similar problem with it too.

For me, Emperor Palpatine was the most effective representation of evil in the entire history of cinema. However, I personally thought that Snoke (Palpatine's replacement and substitute as the supreme leader of evil) is rendered in probably one of the clumsiest and tackiest forms of CGI that I have ever had the misfortune to see - and I have seen a lot of really shit CGI in my time.....

IMHO, the fact that Snoke is supposed to represent the epiphany of evil, demonstrates one of the most serious defects within The Force Awakens. How can such a great villain (Emperor Palpatine) be replaced by such shit CGI?

And don't get me started on Maz Kanata, the grapefruit-with-eyes-orange-Yoda!!!

For me I guess it's just a matter of perspective. I don't really hate CGI like a lot of people do, so I don't mind that they used CGI there. It certainly wasn't the best CGI in the world, but it wasn't the worst either. When compared to other popular mainstream movies that use CGI so poorly, even the worst CGI in The Force Awakens (I'm looking at you rathtars) looks great in comparison. Sure it doesn't look like Avatar level of CGI, but I'd argue that it's probably the best CGI of the year. Better than Avengers, Jurasic World, Ant-Man, Terminator Genysis, and Fantastic Four. All movies that relied super heavily on CGI, and all but one considered successful.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

It's fun. There are some good characterizations on the heroes side; the antagonists, not so much. The plot has a lot of logic flaws, but the story's not all irredeemable. More creative details and better world-building would have been nice. I liked the fast pace, but it could have used a few more mood-establishing shots. Bit of a mixed bag all-in-all.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Basically how I see it is it's either this way or we get no Star Wars movies at all. I'd much rather have a diluted Star Wars than no Star Wars.
    They can make them better. That's what critics are for. I doubt there's any danger soon of no more with all the money it's making, but if they think people care about dilution then there's no reason that it must be.

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Basically how I see it is it's either this way or we get no Star Wars movies at all. I'd much rather have a diluted Star Wars than no Star Wars.
    They can make them better. That's what critics are for. I doubt there's any danger soon of no more with all the money it's making, but if they think people care about dilution then there's no reason that it must be.
    That's not really what I was getting at. More like Disney was always going to do 1 a year. So I'm happy to have 1 Star Wars movie a year with Disney, then no Star Wars movies with George Lucas.

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    Well, that was underwhelming. Don't believe the hype, people. It's great if you want to see inferior remixes of scenes from the "real" trilogy, I guess. Just proof they don't make them like they used to.
    I agree with this post 100%...
    Below is what someone sent me and my responses in red to the questions proposed.

Spoiler:
    Just to start this off his defense is based solely on the fact that they didn’t copy A New Hope. I do not think they copied JUST A New Hope but parts of all movies and put them together again into one.

1. Have you seen the original? This pulls more from the prequel trilogy
    You have? Great. Just wanted to make sure. Because that means you know it doesn't start with the massacre of a small village of innocents (like when Anakin kills all the children ep 3), doesn't end with the surprise discovery of a galactic hermit (Hmm you mean like Obi Wan hiding in the desert) , doesn't have a vision sparked by a lightsaber at its exact centerpoint, right (Woo one new item so far)? I'm wondering in what way you see those plot-crucial moments existing in A New Hope. (Look beyond just A New Hope)
    Did we follow the daring escape of a random Stormtrooper in Darth Vader's legions (No because why are you humanizing the Stormtroopers? Also why would someone trained from birth to follow order and that is all, all of a sudden decide to break that? They would know nothing else in the world. Also why would the First order freak out and chase this guy, they have shown that their troops are expendable so why is a janitor so special) ? Because I don't remember that, either. Nor do I remember a woman in virtual serfdom being the main protagonist and focus of the Force (Not a woman but I do remember Ani being in serfdom actually worse, a slave to the Hutt). I do recall the bartender at the Mos Eisley Cantina being a thousand-year-old mystic who can see into your soul and drives the plot forward in important — no, wait, he was a surly dude who was racist about droids.

2. How well do you know Darth Vader?
    Vader isn't the well-developed villain you remember in Star Wars; that only started to happen inThe Empire Strikes Back. When filming in 1976, George Lucas was embarrassed by Vader. The scuba mask breathing of Ben Burtt and the deep rumbling tones of James Earl Jones were still unimagined. Lucas feared that his lesser villain (intentionally ranked below Tarkin) was not scary, and even asked the writer Alan Dean Foster to kill Vader off in the first post-movie novelSplinter of the Mind's Eye. (Thankfully, Foster kept him alive at the end of the novel.)
    Vader, edited out to within an inch of his life, is on screen for less than 10 minutes. Don't believe me? My favorite way to demonstrate is simply to screen The Vader Sessions, an immortal piece of YouTube comedy genius that dubs other James Earl Jones movie lines over literally every single Vader line in A New Hope. You'll notice how quickly the makers ran out of material and had to resort to Billy Joel.
    Kylo Ren, on the other hand, is front and center (It’s called the art of suspense. Just like when you do not see the wampa in the original release of Ep 5. When Lucas edited the movie he made is so that you could see it early ruining the suspense). We see him on screen, either masked or maskless, for a good quarter of the film, more than anyone but Rey. He is no Vader, and that is the whole point; though he worships his grandfather, he's much more complex and tortured, caught between poles of light and dark (You mean like when Ani/Vader was torn between the light and dark in ep 3 or when he was torn again in ep 5 and saves luke?). (So much so that some people seem to think, based on little evidence, he may even be a Resistance spy.)
    Beset by temper tantrums (Vader choked people who displeased him), afraid of Rey (Vader was afraid of Luke, afraid he would swear allegiance to the Emperor and let his daughter die or not turn at all. Hence why he sacrificed himself.), Kylo manages to be both powerful and powerfully weak. Vader was just this guy in a killer helmet, you know?

3. Bro, do you even Star Wars?
    You may rightly call many elements of The Force Awakens derivative. When it comes to Starkiller Base, I'm with you — simply making the same superweapon planet-sized and sun-powered is the source of all that is uneven about the last hour of the new film.
    But when we do that, we also have to acknowledge that the entire Star Wars series is intentionally derivative of itself. This goes back to The Empire Strikes Back (Oh now you want to look at other movies besides a new hope), which reprised Luke's Jedi training with Obi-Wan — using a creature who grew out of a version of the "Ben Kenobi" character in the third draft of "The Star Wars," as it then was. The derivative version ended up being better, and darker, with Luke's vision of facing Vader springing out of it.
    Lucas learned a vital lesson: Keep iterating on the same ideas and you'll strike gold. (Besides the Death Star I think the original 3 were pretty unique of each other)
    So the nods and echoes and rhymes began, and they never stopped. Return of the Jedi gave us the second Death Star, with a slightly more intricate path to its destruction. The prequels "rhyme" an insane amount with the original trilogy, to use Lucas' preferred word, and much criticism of those controversial movies can be put down to the attempt to make too many scenes rhyme. (not sure what he means by “rhyme”. If he means canon, of course they had to be canon. If he means similar I think they differ quite a bit from the originals, part of the reason they were so despised)
    Say what you like about J.J. Abrams, but there is no greater imitator of George Lucas than George Lucas.

4. Bro, do you even Joseph Campbell?
    Campbell, the world-famous scholar of myth and high priest of the principles on which Lucas grew the franchise, famously declared that there was only ever really one story on which every epic in world history was based. He dubbed it the hero's journey.
    So when you say "remake," given all of the above, I have to think that it's because you're simply seeing two people, Luke and Rey, on the same eternal journey. (For that matter, you may be seeing parallels with Finn; The Force Awakens gives you two hero's journeys for the price of one.)
    So yes, both Luke and Rey happen to be orphans on a desert planet who encounter droids. Both refuse the call to adventure, a key Campbell component, and it takes shocking murders (Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru for Luke, the entire Hosnian system for Rey) to scare them into it. But there the similarity ends; they take different paths on the same journey, right from the fact that one has family while the other has to live in a rusty AT-AT and scrub bits of machinery for food. (Ani lived in a mud hut and had to scrape bits of machinery for food)
    Spoiler alert: Every Star Wars trilogy is going to follow the arc of the hero's journey. As did every work of fiction from Gilgamesh to the Hunger Games. As will all the spin-off Star Wars movies.
    Hey, I did warn you this story was full of spoilers. (Following the hero’s journey is fine it the reuse of plot points and character stories for new characters that are annoying)

5. Have you seen 'The Force Awakens' more than once?
    Because it gets better. The callbacks fade away. Many questions are answered. You're watching in a more relaxed fashion. A lot went by in two hours and fifteen minutes, and it really takes more than one viewing to process.
    This is quite intentional — and part of the reason for the ongoing success of this franchise. James Bond movies may recycle their plots to the director's content, but they're also far less likely to bring viewers back a second time. (When in doubt direct focus to something else… good ploy)
    The moment you go back to a Star Wars movie, you start seeing it in a different light. So perhaps it's time you got started.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

I think I may be the only one who thought this movie was trash...

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfan24 View Post
    Not trash to me, just nothing original or stellar. Nothing special as it seemed to me like a simple rehash of Episode 4. Someone else here said something similar, so we aren't the only ones who weren't fond of it.
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Trust me, you are not the only one who thought the movie was trash. I have been extremely scathing about it in my recent posts.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    Trust me, you are not the only one who thought the movie was trash. I have been extremely scathing about it in my recent posts.
    Tim, you? Really?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    That's not really what I was getting at. More like Disney was always going to do 1 a year. So I'm happy to have 1 Star Wars movie a year with Disney, then no Star Wars movies with George Lucas.
    Interesting: That's a complicated point in it's own right, but what I was saying was just that Mattrick's theory about how the franchise shall decline inevitably does not necessarily have to be conceded whole.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 55 of 130 FirstFirst ... 5 45 53 54 55 56 57 65 105 ... LastLast