Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best War Movies of All Time!

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post
    Take your pick.....
    Spoiler:
    149 min,239min or 293min.
    Gah, that reminds me of another favorite sub genre of mine - Submarine films.

I'm not sure we will ever truly agree on what defines a war film, but I've always felt it has to depict modern warfare. For example, I don't consider Braveheart a war film. I can't really explain why, I just don't.

As for the tournament, it's been a while since we had a movie tournament. Pablo has put a lot of effort into the music tournament. I've mentioned a few times about doing smaller genre tournaments, but it's still a lot of work and somebody would need to take the lead.

We could always use something like Survey Monkey too.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I say if we do a tournament, let's just use Brackify. Screw all these polls and 8 month long tournaments and all the bickering that comes with them. Make a list of 64, randomly seed them, and we can have it over and done with in a few weeks.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I created this as an example using Google Forms. This is just an alternative instead of flooding the forum with numerous threads, which I'm fine with as long as everybody else is. I'd be willing to put these together as long as we have a concrete list of films. I wish I had more time to actually run the whole thing, but I don't. Especially this time of year.

Best War Films of All-Time - Group 1

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I say if we do a tournament, let's just use Brackify. Screw all these polls and 8 month long tournaments and all the bickering that comes with them. Make a list of 64, randomly seed them, and we can have it over and done with in a few weeks.
    I'm not familiar with Brackify, but I will check them out. I've always said a March Madness tournament would be really cool for some of our movie tournaments. However, I don't agree with making it random. Some films could really get screwed with a random drawing. It would have to be weighted like the NCAA tournament, which is where it gets difficult.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I'm not familiar with Brackify, but I will check them out. I've always said a March Madness tournament would be really cool for some of our movie tournaments. However, I don't agree with making it random. Some films could really get screwed with a random drawing. It would have to be weighted like the NCAA tournament, which is where it gets difficult.
    Random at least then is movie by movie. Some movies will get screwed with seeds too. And we'll just bicker over seeding lol

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I created this as an example using Google Forms. This is just an alternative instead of flooding the forum with numerous threads, which I'm fine with as long as everybody else is. I'd be willing to put these together as long as we have a concrete list of films. I wish I had more time to actually run the whole thing, but I don't. Especially this time of year.

Best War Films of All-Time - Group 1
    WOW... hard first round!!! I went with SPR.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

Before we decide on the logictics of voting, shouldnt we define "war movie"?

As I am currently out of work, I would be willing to help with the tournament.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ladysai View Post
    Before we decide on the logictics of voting, shouldnt we define "war movie"?

As I am currently out of work, I would be willing to help with the tournament.
    I would agree that it should be centric to Wars after the turn of the 20th century. Modern Warfare to be exact... thoughts
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

A good beginning from wikipedia...

"War film is a film genre concerned with warfare, typically about naval, air, or land battles in the twentieth century, with combat scenes central to the drama. The fateful nature of battle scenes means that war films often end with them." This would at least eliminate The Sound of Music and the like

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

It also eliminates The Best Years of Our Lives.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Also...."YOU DON'T WANT TO FUCK WITH US!"
    Spoiler:

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

I like the Wiki definition and would accept it as guidance in deciding which films can be in the tournament.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I think War film I think WWI and beyond, though civil war is acceptable to me.

The aerial photography & Jerry Goldsmith's score make THIS movie SOAR.
    Spoiler:
    [

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I guess I was voted off the island. lol lol
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Looks like that just leaves......
    Spoiler:

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I found Uncommon Valor with Gene Hackman at Goodwill today, but the case was empty. Is it any good?

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

I found Uncommon Valor with Gene Hackman at Goodwill today, but the case was empty. Is it any good?
    I haven't seen that one yet.

WHAT IF WE CALL THIS ONE......
    Spoiler:
    "GAS WARS"?

Spoiler:
    "GAS WARS"?
    GAS WARS is what will be happening in my house tomorrow after Thanksgiving dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    What do you mean? Voted out of a possible tournament?
    Seems to me like we are still in the planning stages and need your input and help as we go on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Spoiler:
    "GAS WARS"?
    GAS WARS is what will be happening in my house tomorrow after Thanksgiving dinner.
    LOL! Same here... I will likely have to open a window or light a scented candle after the feast.

I don't know if it is such a good idea to have an open flame around?

Good point.

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd be interested in an off boards bracket on Brackify.

The on boards ones flood the new posts and clutter up the place and are often full of cliques and arguing.
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast